PDA

View Full Version : Is competition bbq better

bam
02-04-2009, 02:40 PM
Is the bbq you make at a contest better than you make for a party ?

Smokin' Joe
02-04-2009, 02:51 PM
I don't know that its better but its certainly different. For competition I'm rubbing, saucing, and injecting knowing most judges will only take one or two bites. I have also noticed that what I like is not always what the judges like...at home I make it the way I like it, at comps the way the judges like it (well, at least sometimes:))

Jacked UP BBQ
02-04-2009, 02:59 PM
I guess depending on the person, I would have to say my backyard flavor profile is different than at comps. I love my backyard bbq and love my comp bbq. That is a tough question, but I would say they are equally delicious.

Lakeside Smoker
02-04-2009, 03:05 PM
I make it the same way. Why not get some practice in is how I look at it.

Mike

Big Ugly's BBQ
02-04-2009, 03:11 PM

Same here, I have a hard enough time with one process for each catagory, why have two?

Balls Casten
02-04-2009, 03:23 PM
Ours is exactly the same ... and it shows in our scores. :-)

butt head
02-04-2009, 03:29 PM
we cook for us not them.

paydabill
02-04-2009, 03:42 PM
It is different for me. I like things a little spicer than what I turn in.

Plus I am not sitting around watching the cooker and taking care of every little step at home. I am generally doing something else at home.

smknwhlswife
02-04-2009, 03:55 PM
Depends on the meat for us. I love our comp. pork and brisket, but comp. chicken and ribs are too sweet. I like more of the dry rubs with maybe a touch of sauce.

Divemaster
02-04-2009, 03:57 PM
Ours is exactly the same ... and it shows in our scores. :-)

That was our process last year (with the same results). This year we are trying some thing different.:eek:

Ashmont
02-04-2009, 04:01 PM
I would say different! I cook the way I like at home but if its going to a customer I have a standard way every time so they know what to expect. Same rub let the customer pick sauce they like. Comp is way different........

KC_Bobby
02-04-2009, 04:18 PM
I sometimes cut out a few of the ingredients at home to cut costs or save supplies for pork, I don't like thighs so at home I do beer can chicken. I do not cook our comp brisket and ribs, so I think it's a logical assumption to say that would be different tooooooooooo.

I love and am very happy our comp pork recipe and proceedure, but I also love to try a few different things to it from time to time. If I intend on using an entire butt for something mexican, I will use a different basting sauce.

HBMTN
02-04-2009, 05:02 PM
Depends on who it is for and how many people. I did the whole competition shibang on 24 butts Saturday probably won't do that again. Maybe if it were less.

Coz
02-04-2009, 05:05 PM
For the few times we have competed I would say I prefer our Party recipes but as one of my much appreciated coaches made me understand at the first comp we were at your cookin for the judges.He came by and says isnt it bout time to foil those ribs I says no I dont care for them that way and he says you judging today?So we foiled em.He was correct.

Buster Dog BBQ
02-04-2009, 05:40 PM
I agree with HogBack. Depends on who it is for and how many. I think if you have done a few competitions the food you feed others will be much better BBQ than they have had anyway, so not always a need to fully impress.

I skip a few steps generally and I usually use a different sauce as I like a wide variety of sauces. But overall I like to keep it close to competition just in case I get an Ah Ha moment.

Bigdog
02-04-2009, 07:14 PM
At a comp I overhead a cook saying that he doesn't cook his food like this $hit when he is cooking at home.

smoke showin'
02-04-2009, 07:22 PM
comp stuff is to sweet , Backyard a little different

Bentley
02-04-2009, 07:53 PM
Believe me, if I knew what the judges were lookng for, other than good BBQ, I would cook for the judge. Since I have no idea what one judge to another is looking for I try and cook generic BBQ. A rub and sauce that I hope complement meat that is cooked correctly.

If I know that the majority of judges are either off the street or brand new, I will coat everything in KC Masterpiece!

Mike - CSBBBQ
02-04-2009, 08:45 PM
It is different for me. I like things a little spicer than what I turn in.

Plus I am not sitting around watching the cooker and taking care of every little step at home. I am generally doing something else at home.

Hit the nail on the head for me.

SloppyQ
02-04-2009, 10:18 PM
At comps I cook for the judges at home or at the restaurant I cook for me or the customer.

CTSmokehouse
02-04-2009, 10:51 PM

Mike

Me too...

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

I may take some liberty to push the envelope...but it is essentially the same....

Alexa RnQ
02-05-2009, 05:33 AM
VQ's poker buddies have been the unwitting guinea pigs for a fair amount of competition practice.

bbq ron
02-05-2009, 06:23 AM
guess i might have to get in touch with kcbs and go to school

Big George's BBQ
02-05-2009, 07:40 AM
When we have time to cook at home we try to make it the same as the Comp so we have the idea what it will be like

Brew-B-Q
02-05-2009, 08:15 AM
Before I started competing, I made things differently. Spicy vinegar sauce on pulled pork, no sauce on brisket or ribs. Since last year, pretty much every cook I've done has had some competition "practice" aspect to it. So, I've been eating a lot of sauced ribs, sweet sauced pork, etc. The people I cook for at home may prefer one over the other, but so far it still gets eaten quite rapidly.

I haven't tried injecting briskets with Fab or whatever, so there may be some differences there if I was. I hear people say the competition brisket they make is too rich or whatever to eat more than a few bites.

CivilWarBBQ
02-05-2009, 08:52 AM
I find comp meat is awfully intense for everyday eating, in fact my daughter doesn't like it at all but loves the everyday product we cook at home or the restaurant.

The comparison I like to draw is competition bbq is to "regular" bbq as fudge is to chocolate chip cookies. Fudge can be good, but most people don't want to eat a lot of it in one sitting. On the other hand, just try to keep cookies around and see how long they last!

garyk1398
02-05-2009, 08:59 AM
I find comp meat is awfully intense for everyday eating, in fact my daughter doesn't like it at all but loves the everyday product we cook at home or the restaurant.

The comparison I like to draw is competition bbq is to "regular" bbq as fudge is to chocolate chip cookies. Fudge can be good, but most people don't want to eat a lot of it in one sitting. On the other hand, just try to keep cookies around and see how long they last!
Nicely said!:-P

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
02-05-2009, 09:21 AM
I do alot the same as far as spices, sauces mostly because I cook what I like at comps although I do cut down on the "moisture inhancers" in my injections...at home I dont trim as much and I cook my ribs longer so they are "fall off the bone", cant turn those ribs in, judges think they are over done.

Porkmeister
02-05-2009, 09:57 AM
I started out cooking the way we liked it. We did very well at most of the comps. Last year, I changed a little and tried to cook what I was told by some Judges they were looking for. Well we tanked in just about every comp we entered. This year we are going back to old school. Cooking what we and our family & friends like.

When I'm catering I cook the way I always do. I haven't had any complaints yet, just return business. I figure that is what got me the business to start with.

Mike

bam
02-05-2009, 10:08 AM
Thanks for the feed back I cook the same way only prep. times different. For party brine chicken 24 hrs air dry in fridge 24 hr, meats rub injected and or both 24 plus hours at comp. same but shorter.

Spydermike72
02-05-2009, 07:51 PM
No way, I cook tottally different for Comps than at home.

Comps: I inject, trim and make everything so dang sweet it is unbearable.

Home: I dont inject, I dont trim (as much as I do for a comp) and I make it spicier than I do for a comp.

Just Smokin' Around
02-05-2009, 09:34 PM
When I cook for family, I use spicier rubs and sauces. I still prep the meat the same and follow most comp techniques. I had a brother come to a comp one time. He started eating the ribs and asked what I did to 'em. I said I have to sweeten them up for competition. He response was he liked my other ones a lot better.

SaucyWench
02-05-2009, 09:52 PM
From some of these answers, I wish yall would do the same for comps as you do at home. Judging, I find a lot of it way too sweet, especially super-sauced chicken. I'd love a little spice!

Of course, that would give you lower scores from the wimpy judges...

Meat Burner
02-05-2009, 10:19 PM
From some of these answers, I wish yall would do the same for comps as you do at home. Judging, I find a lot of it way too sweet, especially super-sauced chicken. I'd love a little spice!

Of course, that would give you lower scores from the wimpy judges...

I am 6' 3", lean 225 lbs, former Navy Seal, and I love sweet sauce, especially on chicken. Tell me to my face I am a wimpy judge...wimp!!!!
Gotcha !!:biggrin:

FltEng
02-06-2009, 01:29 PM
My home BBQ is different because this is where I get to experiment and my friends get to be my guinea pigs.

Cheers!

Podge
02-06-2009, 02:22 PM
for the exception of pork butts, i've cooked competition BBQ and nothing but competition bbq over the past 5 years. It's a pain in the a$$ and i only do it for special occasions, if not for just the sake of practicing. I cooked Comp. quality BBQ for about 60 people for my step-dad's 75th b-day party.. it wore me out, but everyone loved it.

StLouQue
02-15-2009, 09:35 AM
Depends on the meat for us. I love our comp. pork and brisket, but comp. chicken and ribs are too sweet. I like more of the dry rubs with maybe a touch of sauce.

I believe too many entries rely on sweetness. Sweet sauces seem to be popular with many judges –– personally, I find it boring. I agree with you, Kim... my taste buds prefer dry barbecue.