PDA

View Full Version : Abingdon, Va (State Championship) Canceled

HBMTN
01-27-2009, 04:38 PM
For those that were thinking about competing I received this by e-mail today so I thought I would share it with you in case you were planning to go.

Dear Ruben,
Thank you for your interest in our Blues, Brews and BBQ Festival in Abingdon, VA. It was gratifying to get such a strong response ! Unfortunately, our sponsors for the prize money have not been immune to the economic downturn and have withdrawn enough of their support that we do not feel comfortable proceeding for 2009 at this time. If we get a firm commitment, we will pursue designation in 2010, so look for our website and application at the end of this year.
Best of luck to you!
Regards,

Brew-B-Q
01-27-2009, 04:50 PM
I think we're going to see a few of those this year and next.

Mike - CSBBBQ
01-27-2009, 08:27 PM
Bummer:sad: It was fairly close. Afraid it is but hoping it is not a sign of things to come...it was going to be a first year contest. In these times getting a contest off the ground has to be hard...Maybe next year:smile:

Finney
01-28-2009, 06:43 AM
Damn... That one was on the 'maybe' list.

smoke-n-my-i's
01-28-2009, 06:28 PM
That one was on my list as well. I was just waiting for the website so I could get the application, etc....

Finney, Charlie and Jo were also looking at that one.

I too have a feeling we will see more of this as the year progresses....

Finney
01-28-2009, 07:42 PM
That one was on my list as well. I was just waiting for the website so I could get the application, etc....

Finney, Charlie and Jo were also looking at that one.

I too have a feeling we will see more of this as the year progresses....

Hey Bill! Yeah, me and Charlie keep emailing our comp lists back and forth as things change. I'm probably gonna see him and Jo several times this season. I've got to start getting the new cooker set up on/in a trailer before April. I think I'm going to cook Kings Mountain instead of Salisbury, MD this year.
And I am concidering your church's practice comp to get a full cook in before I really start.

smoke-n-my-i's
01-28-2009, 07:53 PM
Hey Bill! Yeah, me and Charlie keep emailing our comp lists back and forth as things change. I'm probably gonna see him and Jo several times this season. I've got to start getting the new cooker set up on/in a trailer before April. I think I'm going to cook Kings Mountain instead of Salisbury, MD this year.
And I am concidering your church's practice comp to get a full cook in before I really start.

I think you would really enjoy it. It has a LOT of potential to be a great event if more teams would consider it. We had room for I am thinking abt 12 teams max. Electric will be mainly for lighting only, as we only have couple of general purpose receptacles available. If this thing takes off, I will have to put in some more outlets outside.

I can probably fit you in next to Charlie and Jo if you want. That would be the spot I had last year as a last minute cancellation of a couple of teams and we needed another cooker.... I really didn't want to, but did it out of need. I really did not enjoy myself having to do all the work myself, but I made it. It was a little rough getting everything set up for the event, then setting up my stuff as well.... a very long weekend for me. It looks like this one will have a few more teams so I can concentrate on the event and not worry about cooking.

Hope to see ya again.

Bill