PDA

View Full Version : Competition BARK

Jacked UP BBQ
01-23-2009, 11:37 AM
Whether it be on the pork butt or the brisket, how do you like your bark.
What texture?
What Color?
How Flavorful?

BBQ_Mayor
01-23-2009, 11:43 AM
Does'nt matter what texture I like it, it's what the judges like. When i figure that out, I'll let you know.:wink:

Scottie
01-23-2009, 11:59 AM
I think a lot of cooks confuse the term. Where they think that bark means crunchy/burnt outside.... Mine is hardly crunchy or burnt. But is filled with flavors...

Sledneck
01-23-2009, 12:33 PM
Build that bark! To me its the layers of rub and sauce I build up on the meat . Not crunchy and I try to not to make it to dark. All about the flavor

monty3777
01-23-2009, 12:36 PM
Scottie,

Do all the pieces you turn in have bark - or do you mix it up a bit for turn in?

Scottie
01-23-2009, 12:46 PM
Monty, think of a painting... Does it look better with all one color on it or is it more appealing if you have multiple colors? I find that it 'pops' more if you have distinctive pieces and colors...

Enough though, as I know Sled and Pat are keeping notes.... :shock:

Divemaster
01-23-2009, 12:56 PM
I think a lot of cooks confuse the term. Where they think that bark means crunchy/burnt outside.... Mine is hardly crunchy or burnt. But is filled with flavors...

That's the route I take with mine...

Getting a little paranoid aren't we????:roll:

Scottie
01-23-2009, 01:10 PM
nah, they've just been asking direct questions lately... :shock:

And for those that know me and talk to me in person, I am very open with cooking techniques.... People helped me and my way it to pay it forward... Might not be my number 1 recipe, but it's a recipe... :twisted:

Divemaster
01-23-2009, 01:22 PM
Might not be my number 1 recipe, but it's a recipe... :twisted:
So does that mean you really may not coat your brisket with whipped cream like you told me you did????

Scottie
01-23-2009, 01:27 PM
Oh, did I tell you whipped cream? I usually say Miracle Whip... See I have to keep track of who I tell what... Less follow-up questions that way....

Divemaster
01-23-2009, 01:29 PM
Hey, I'm not as dumb as..... never mind....

Sledneck
01-23-2009, 01:51 PM
Enough though, as I know Sled and Pat are keeping notes.... :shock: :redface: Who me?:redface:

Brew-B-Q
01-23-2009, 02:18 PM
Monty, think of a painting... Does it look better with all one color on it or is it more appealing if you have multiple colors? I find that it 'pops' more if you have distinctive pieces and colors...

My secretary is taking notes now. Team Brew-B-Q had a budget increase and hired some nice ladies to keep track of things. :biggrin:

monty3777
01-23-2009, 02:27 PM
Scottie - you won't need to worry about me on the circuit. I use a stick burner :)

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
01-23-2009, 05:30 PM
does anyone find that "if" they foil that the barks apperance is lessend a bit? mine seems to need another round on the smoker prior to slicing.

Podge
01-23-2009, 06:03 PM

Podge is taking notes too !:mrgreen:

SmokeInDaEye
01-23-2009, 06:07 PM
I've never really paid much attention to bark since its not a category for judging. I balance flavors, make sure its moist, and make that box look purty.

Scottie
01-23-2009, 09:06 PM
You don't think that bark can play in the appearance score? I take from a specific part, just for it's appearance and texture of the bark.

Mike - CSBBBQ
01-23-2009, 09:08 PM
And for those that know me and talk to me in person, I am very open with cooking techniques.... People helped me and my way it to pay it forward... Might not be my number 1 recipe, but it's a recipe... :twisted:

Any port in a storm for us wanna bees:smile: Know I repeat myself but I LOVE this site! You folks are great!

Paying forward is a great way to view things:-D Try to do the same in life but unfortunately can't really help much with Q...hopefully someday...

Dale P
01-24-2009, 07:11 AM

I get it.
Bob Ross MOD...
Thanks Scottie :tongue:

Rolling Smoke
01-24-2009, 07:58 AM
I've never really paid much attention to bark since its not a category for judging. I balance flavors, make sure its moist, and make that box look purty.

It may not be a category in judging but like Scottie says, it's the appearance. Smoke rings are not a category in judging either but you can bet they have an impact on the way a judge scores for appearance. The first bite a judge takes is with their eyes.

Nitrofly
01-24-2009, 08:11 AM
Oh, did I tell you whipped cream? I usually say Miracle Whip... See I have to keep track of who I tell what... Less follow-up questions that way....

Scottie Shhh don't tell anyone about the Miracle Whip :icon_blush:

Sidw
01-24-2009, 09:43 AM
Scottie - you won't need to worry about me on the circuit. I use a stick burner :)

Not sure I understandhttp://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/images/icons/icon9.gif

monty3777
01-24-2009, 10:02 AM
Not sure I understandhttp://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/images/icons/icon9.gif

Yeah - sorry about that. I was meaning to say that I'm still a beginner and have yet to really master fire control on my stick burner. So no matter how good my bark is I still have a long way to go before I get things to "cook" right. Thus I'm no threat to Scottie or anyone!! Re-reading my comment I realize that it was only funny in my head. However, for me - that's enough :-D

Sidw
01-24-2009, 10:44 AM
Yeah - sorry about that. I was meaning to say that I'm still a beginner and have yet to really master fire control on my stick burner. So no matter how good my bark is I still have a long way to go before I get things to "cook" right. Thus I'm no threat to Scottie or anyone!! Re-reading my comment I realize that it was only funny in my head. However, for me - that's enough :-D

I know what you mean now - I really do like cooking on my stick burner, but it truly can be a chore sometimes. That is why I must force myself to routinely ice down some beer and practice-practice-practice. If I could just remember the next day what I had practiced I am sure it might helpful.http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif

Good luck with the stick burner!

Rolling Smoke
01-24-2009, 12:47 PM
Didn't look like you had any trouble remembering in Owensboro last September.

Podge
01-24-2009, 01:16 PM
Bark being pork is part of the pork catagory.

Sidw
01-24-2009, 09:56 PM
Didn't look like you had any trouble remembering in Owensboro last September.

September ?
Owensboro?
Rolling Smoke?

Big headache Sunday morning in Owensboro - that seems familiar.http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/images/icons/icon11.gif

Rolling Smoke
01-25-2009, 08:47 AM
September ?
Owensboro?
Rolling Smoke?

Big headache Sunday morning in Owensboro - that seems familiar.http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/images/icons/icon11.gif

http://www.rollingsmoke.com/montypigthon.JPG

I can only imagine what a headache you had with all the effort you put into decorating your site. :lol:

U2CANQUE
01-25-2009, 09:08 AM
I can only imagine what a headache you had with all the effort you put into decorating your site. :lol:

Still sorry I missed that one....:biggrin:....

Ron_L
01-25-2009, 09:24 AM
So does that mean you really may not coat your brisket with whipped cream like you told me you did????

I think you are confusing your meats, Jeff... Scottie told you to put whipped cream on something else completely. :eek: And that was special just for you. NTTAWWT :biggrin:

Sidw
01-25-2009, 03:26 PM

Jim - it is all slowly starting to come back to me.