PDA

View Full Version : Competition help.......

bigmeatbbq
01-19-2009, 10:33 AM
Last Tuesday our towns festival committee was talking about dropping our backyard contest over labor day weekend. I've been in everyone since its inception five years ago. I volunteered to take it over for 2009.
They donated $750.00 and all the info and advertising. I made three phone calls and sold the title sponsorship. I got a friend to sponsor the raffle and another friend to pay for the printing of the raffle tickets. roughly around $1000.00 with three phone calls.

I've been involved in several contests but always as a competitor never as an organizer. I'm planning on relying on you brethren for advice and ideas as to how to proceed to make this a successful, relaxed and fun family event.
The event will be on Sunday Sept. 5th in Kewanee, Illinois.Set up any time after 5 pm on the 4th.

I'll post more info as it goes available.
Where's a good place to buy some BBQ related plaques or trophies?

timzcardz
01-19-2009, 11:34 AM
In addition to your post here you should probably go to "User CP" (link in the upper left of screen) and in there within "Group Memberships" (link on the left side of screen part way down) you can join the "Organizers" group for access to Organizers Discussion Area.

The members there, experienced in organizing competitios, should be able to help you greatly.

bigmeatbbq
01-19-2009, 01:48 PM
Thanks Tim. Put in my request to join.

Roo-B-Q'N
01-20-2009, 07:46 AM
Most of your trophey stores will have trophey's and ribbons that can be used for BBQ events. I say that, but think outside of the box, many of the great trophies we have run up against are not plaques or ribbons. I co-organize the contest at River City Roundup in Omaha, and our GC and RGC get a branding iron with the RCR logo, each catagory winner 1-4 gets cutting boards with the RCR logo burned into it and then 5-10 get ribbons with the RCR logo imprinted on it.
Remember if you can, stay away from the smaller :look I won the third grade long distance run" ribbons they look cheap and will be percieved as such.
Use the organizers forum as well as this one as you will get the what the cooks are looking for here. It is helpful to listen to both sides.