PDA

View Full Version : Comp Choice on May 16 (PA or NJ ?)

trohrs123
01-07-2009, 02:06 PM
Smoke in the Valley Green Lane, PA vs The Art of BBQ Mays Landing, NJ
Any and all input welcome same weekend in May the 15th and 16th
Which would you choose to do and why?

Jacked UP BBQ
01-07-2009, 02:31 PM
I am in the same boat, I cannot decide on the two.

SmokeInDaEye
01-07-2009, 07:08 PM
I was about to ash the same thing.

HBMTN
01-07-2009, 07:24 PM
Anybody have a coin? :mrgreen:

Fat Angel
01-07-2009, 07:29 PM
I heard that Mays landing has asked KCBS for a date change to the following weekend. It should be reviewed at the next board meeting.

butt head
01-07-2009, 07:31 PM
drive time is big factor for me. 1/2 hr to green lane or 1 1/2 to ac:rolleyes:

butt head
01-07-2009, 07:33 PM
I heard that Mays landing has asked KCBS for a date change to the following weekend. It should be reviewed at the next board meeting.
that would make it memorial day weekend

Fat Angel
01-07-2009, 07:51 PM
that would make it memorial day weekend

hmmmm, maybe it was for the previous weekend then, or 2 weeks later.
I do know that requested a date change though.

Last year it was the weekend after Memorial Day.

Jacked UP BBQ
01-07-2009, 08:01 PM
I would really like to do them both, hope they change the date, mays landing 45 minutes, green lane 1:15.

Big George's BBQ
01-07-2009, 08:05 PM
I am doing PA. Only a few minutes from my house. Big sites and it is a nice area

widespread
01-07-2009, 08:18 PM
So far I'm leaning towards doing Green Lane

Sledneck
01-07-2009, 08:58 PM
Havent been to either but the Mays landing one sounds like it could potentially grow to be a very large contest

backporchbbq
01-08-2009, 04:01 AM
Green Lane is a brand new comp. We are signed up for it, it is only 10 mins from our house. I think they have $5,000.00 winnings. Haven't heard anything about Mayes Landing.

We talked to the Organizers at Yardley, they were walking around talking to people. They sound like they have a nice set up. I think it is in Green Lane Park which is a very nice park. I believe they are Volunteer Firefighters.

Hope this helps.

trohrs123
01-08-2009, 05:42 AM
Besides distance the distance, has anybody actually done either of these and how team friendly are they?

Mutha Chicken BBQ
01-08-2009, 06:42 AM
We did the Art of BBQ last year, They had the normal first year problems. Elec. ETC, But once we were there it went OK. Minus the rain at awards

(Drank, I mean)Hung out with Fat Angel.

We were very dissapointed with the promoter not following through on his word. As he promoted it as a State Qualifier. But we will probly be back. Although Cheasapeake is the same weekend as this one. And is a State Qualifier.

3rd post down on the page
http://www.3eyzbbq.com/competitions2008.htm

WannaBeBBQueen
01-08-2009, 08:08 AM
only a 7 minute difference in travel time for us...so which one is more cooker friendly or should I just toss a coin? lol:rolleyes:

widespread
01-08-2009, 08:13 AM
Danville's that weekend too. Also a qualifier. Looked up Green Lane on kcbs site, not a qualifier either. May have to rethink that weekend.
On a side note, any word on Stevensville yet? Couldn't find it listed for July.

WannaBeBBQueen
01-08-2009, 08:19 AM
Danville's that weekend too. Also a qualifier. Looked up Green Lane on kcbs site, not a qualifier either. May have to rethink that weekend.
hmmm thank you for mentioning that...where is Stevensville? Is it the same weekend? Is it a qualifier?

Black Cat BBQ
01-08-2009, 08:48 AM
hmmm thank you for mentioning that...where is Stevensville? Is it the same weekend? Is it a qualifier?

Its on Kent Island Maryland, pretty cool event. The last couple of years its been the last w/e in July and its a qualifier. Usually a pretty balmy time of year for us. :biggrin:

Pig Headed
01-08-2009, 08:59 AM
I'm thinking of either judging or pit beotching for somebody at Green Lane. Let me know if anyone needs help.

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
01-08-2009, 10:21 AM

Jon, have you thought about GreenLane yet? its not far and a nice place.

Fat Angel
01-08-2009, 10:51 AM
Besides distance the distance, has anybody actually done either of these and how team friendly are they?

We did Mays landing. When we showed up the organizer said "just set up anywhere and elec and water should be hooked up by this afternoon. To there credit, they really did come through with everything. We decided to do this contest last minute as we got home from our honeymoon the day before.

I have heard that organizer from last year (David Goldberg) is not in charge of it this year so i expect better things. I think they had 6k in prize money last year, and proceeds benefit a local school.

The 2 negatives of the contest besides rain was they didn't have score sheets for anyone, and they said at the cooks meeting it was a state qualifier when it really wasn't.

I am still waiting to hear the official date, but i think we are leaning towards this one over green lane.

Check out the pictures form last year.

http://www.lostnationvt.com/fatangel/ac_08.htm

Mike - CSBBBQ
01-08-2009, 03:21 PM
Both are closer but will return to Cheasapeake as it is a qualifier and closer than Danville. If Green Lane gets moved we will probably add to the schedule cause it is close.

Muzzlebrake
01-08-2009, 04:59 PM
I am in the same boat, I cannot decide on the two.

:eek:

I am shocked that AC vs. Pennsyltucky is even a choice for you!

hmmmm Borgata v volunteer fire house?
:biggrin:

Muzzlebrake
01-08-2009, 05:06 PM
In all seriousness

Im not available to cook that week so I wrote it off a while ago but for what its worth I would cook the Green Lane event. Im into long range planning and if the Mayes Landing folks haven't even set the date in stone this far into the game.......I met the guys from GFD last year @ yardley they sure seem to have this thing locked in

Jacked UP BBQ
01-08-2009, 07:40 PM
:eek:

I am shocked that AC vs. Pennsyltucky is even a choice for you!

hmmmm Borgata v volunteer fire house?
:biggrin:

I am trying to get away from my everyday problems, I think the country would be nice for me!:-?

Nitrofly
01-08-2009, 08:41 PM
Hey brothers

There is only one BAAAHHHBEQUE !!!
contest in may and it's along the banks of
the Mississippi in Memphis.. :icon_blush:
if you have never been put it on your list
of things to do before you die.. I'm going
back every year till it kills me or when the
greatest depression makes poor and homeless :icon_blush:

Mike - CSBBBQ
01-08-2009, 09:45 PM
Stevensville was a qualifier last year for the first time. The contest is supposed to help MD Special Olympics. Unfortunately, the money raised has not been much:sad: Special olympics (which obtained the proclamation) was looking at trying get a major sponsor and move to Baltimore. Something along the lines of the Safeway contest in DC. They are all focused on the Polar Bear Plunge right now but hope to hear something in the next month or two. The coordinator whos has put on Stevensville each year and lives on the island really doesn't want to change locations. As most do, he puts considerable time and effort into the contest and it has gotten better each year. Hopefully it will still be a go.