PDA

View Full Version : Lake Placid, NY 2009

Cue's Your Daddy
01-06-2009, 01:39 PM
Just wondering about this contest. I know its early but want to start planning. Thinking of making the trip and was wondering how family friendly it is. I know alot of people rave about it. Sounds like it can be a nice little vacation with a stop at lake george on way home.

Scottie
01-06-2009, 01:50 PM
I went out to LP the last 2 summers as my family vacations. It's a very very kid friendly event!!! Dmitry and crew do an awesome job to take care of the little one's!!!

It fills up fast, so if you are going, get your application in early...

I know I will miss this contest this year...

The Anchorman
01-06-2009, 01:50 PM
Well worth it, lots of fun. Great Organizer! It is a long way from LI but if you are going to VK in Lake George it sounds like you have an excellent time planned out.

smknwhlswife
01-06-2009, 02:12 PM
HoDeDo and I (and the girls) are planning on making it to LP this year. Just as long as there are no layoffs on the job front.....Smoke On Wheels will be there!!!

KC_Bobby
01-06-2009, 03:16 PM
It is a long way from LI ...

That's relative. :wink: Fortunately I have way more then I could ever do within 50 or so miles of me - unfortuntely, my brother (teammate lives 220 miles away from me, and we do 50% of our comps near his home - generally over 50 miles away)

But, other parts of the country would love to have a few comps that close.

smokinit
01-06-2009, 03:42 PM
It's a great event I probably will be donating another BWS to them to be rafffled off or I may give it to the winner of the new junior class they are having this year.

ihbobry
01-06-2009, 05:52 PM
Very family friendly. We are 2 families that compete with 3 kids. 9-13 last year. No problems; kids who are part of a BBQ family can entertain themselves during crunch time and when it's down time our lovely wives took them to the beach. We all wandered town one afternoon (we didn't want to do the people's choice because we do not vend, ever) and the Olympic sites are cool, literally. It's contained well, and there is history to impart to young people if so inclined. Use of showers and Dmitri the organizer make it easy like Sunday Morning.

Think of it as LG with cooking.

Muzzlebrake
01-06-2009, 07:56 PM
Paul you will love it, great town great time. I am gonna send my check in this week

Andy, when are you thinking about getting there? I am thinking about a fishing trip centered around the comp........

smknwhlswife
01-06-2009, 08:59 PM
Paul you will love it, great town great time. I am gonna send my check in this week

Andy, when are you thinking about getting there? I am thinking about a fishing trip centered around the comp........

I am planning on cooking Boston, NY the prior weekend, then heading up your way. there is an outside chance ( If I were to win the entry at the banquet) that I would cook wildwood the following weekend, instead of Boston.

Either way, I was going to call you and try and get something planned. :-P

Expect a PM soon on logistics.

Opps!! Damn cookies! Cross dressing poster here.... again.
Andy

U2CANQUE
01-06-2009, 10:12 PM
hmmm, as compared to?....laughing....was looking forward to getting a chance to meet you in Boston....thought that it was great when I heard you guys were thinking about the Boston one.....

RixCue
01-06-2009, 11:04 PM
Just wondering about this contest. I know its early but want to start planning. Thinking of making the trip and was wondering how family friendly it is. I know alot of people rave about it. Sounds like it can be a nice little vacation with a stop at lake george on way home.

The wife let me pick this as our vacation in 06. Lake Placid is FIRST CLASS. That was the first year of this event , and most of the time this can be a train wreck, not at LP . Some of the best people I have seen in one place. Dont miss the fire works , man that was an awesome show!

Rick

The Anchorman
01-07-2009, 07:39 AM
That's relative. :wink: Fortunately I have way more then I could ever do within 50 or so miles of me - unfortuntely, my brother (teammate lives 220 miles away from me, and we do 50% of our comps near his home - generally over 50 miles away)

But, other parts of the country would love to have a few comps that close.

It takes me 6 1/2 hours to get to Lake Placid from my house, I do know how long it takes to get there.

Muzzlebrake
01-07-2009, 08:04 AM
I am planning on cooking Boston, NY the prior weekend, then heading up your way.
Andy

I got to hang with Mike (the Giggler) when I was in Boston, he's a good dude. He is also a fellow NY Licensed Guide and part of my evil plot to hatch a fishing trip near Placid...... he is a trout guy, you mind fly fishing?

Sledneck
01-07-2009, 08:05 AM
Being that it is a 3 day event do you have to load n the first day or can you come in the second?

CTSmokehouse
01-07-2009, 08:15 AM
Sled,

You can come in before and after the public with ease....

It's a great venue...

I hope to do it again this year...

Something special about the Olympic Speed Skating Oval and Skating Arena...

The fireworks are superb...

The accomodations are first class and they treat you just right...

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

HoDeDo
01-07-2009, 08:38 AM
hmmm, as compared to?....laughing....was looking forward to getting a chance to meet you in Boston....thought that it was great when I heard you guys were thinking about the Boston one.....

Just refering to the chance I might win a free entry at the KCBS Banquet entry raffle. I know Wildwood gives a free entry there. If I won a free entry, I would end up going with it... At this point however, I am assuming I will be going to Boston's event. (As the chances of wining an entry there are slim.)
Is Boston giving a free entry to the KCBS banquet as well? That would give me yet another one to shoot for :twisted:

It takes me 6 1/2 hours to get to Lake Placid from my house, I do know how long it takes to get there.

Bobby is down by me... 23 hrs roughly -- 1350 miles.

KC_Bobby
01-07-2009, 09:01 AM
I'm just saying a long drive is relative to all of us. Six and a half hours sounds like it could be along the norms for the Southwest and California and some other parts. It takes me well over 7 hours (400 miles) with the trailer to get to the Lynch Livestock Stampede (nearly all Interstate) - that's my farthest comp. I agree that long of a drive is a hike and I probably wouldn't consider it if my grandma didn't live there. Last year my avg comp drive time was about 3.5 hours each way.

Jorge
01-07-2009, 09:07 AM
I got to hang with Mike (the Giggler) when I was in Boston, he's a good dude. He is also a fellow NY Licensed Guide and part of my evil plot to hatch a fishing trip near Placid...... he is a trout guy, you mind fly fishing?

Did you say fly fishing?:mrgreen:

Cue's Your Daddy
01-07-2009, 09:24 AM
i am thinking with 3 kids aged 8months,3 and 5 it should take me 8 hours with all the bathroom stops and stuff. We leave really early in morning around 3am to beat traffic off LI. Wife likes the idea because we go to Lake George every year so she thinks it would be cool. And i have been laying the groundwork since last november. Sled, are u thinking of going?

Sledneck
01-07-2009, 09:30 AM
Sled, are u thinking of going?Thinking about it

smknwhlswife
01-07-2009, 09:32 AM
Sean....I'm guessing you have a plan for me and the girls while you steal my husband?????:rolleyes: I don't think Andy has ever done fly fishing.

Scottie
01-07-2009, 09:54 AM
Kim,

There are tons of things to do in the area... We went out a week early last year to just be tourists...

Scottie

Sledneck
01-07-2009, 09:57 AM
Anybody have any good motel/hotel recommendations?

smknwhlswife
01-07-2009, 09:57 AM
There are tons of things to do in the area... We went out a week early last year to just be tourists...

Thanks Scottie!!
I know.....just wanted to Sean some trouble.:wink: We are looking forward to the trip.

Scottie
01-07-2009, 10:09 AM

Marriott...

Sledneck
01-07-2009, 10:22 AM
Marriott...Its sold out for that weekend already

Scottie
01-07-2009, 10:36 AM
There are 2 of them about 1 block away. They are right on the Main Street. Not sure of their names though... Maybe check with the chamber or email Dmitry? He is more than willing to assist teams...

Also, the KOA in Wilmington is awesome. For those that are coming up with campers... My girls really had a lot of fun. Even fed those damn chipmunks all my pistachios!!! :twisted:

HoDeDo
01-07-2009, 11:01 AM
If I trout fish, it is with a spinning reel. The couple of times I tried fly flishing, It was always early season , crowded, etc. And I ended up putting up the fly rod and just getting out my trusty ultralite with ULS super simple spinning set up.

I'm game for anything, however. I might need help with gear, but we'll see how packing for 3000 miles and 2 weeks goes :)

I know Dmitry has some stuff planned for at least a day or two in there for us. We are early in the planning process, so we're pretty flexible.

I will be checking out that KOA as well :)
Scottie, since you have done this a couple times with the girls, I'm sure we will be pinging you to get ideas for our girls!

Scottie
01-07-2009, 11:07 AM
You got it Andy.

Cue's Your Daddy
01-07-2009, 11:08 AM
i am looking into that KAO as well. Would leave the wife,kids and camper there.

Sledneck
01-07-2009, 11:09 AM
Andy is going to ping scottie pass it on

WannaBeBBQueen
01-07-2009, 11:12 AM
Thinking about it
me too, sounds like a good one for my little ones.:biggrin:

WannaBeBBQueen
01-07-2009, 11:13 AM
Sean....I'm guessing you have a plan for me and the girls while you steal my husband?????:rolleyes: I don't think Andy has ever done fly fishing.

I have two little ones too, I'm sure we can find a whole bunch to do:biggrin:

Scottie
01-07-2009, 11:34 AM
i am looking into that KAO as well. Would leave the wife,kids and camper there.

We stayed there for 4 days, then at the Marriott for 3 days, then headed over to the oval. Once you have your trailer/camper ont he oval. No need to go anywhere else. They have water, electric and showers. Also does a nice breakfast and coffee every morning... He gives the kids wrist bands so they can play on the the rides... Mine liked to fly around the oval on their scooters...

Muzzlebrake
01-07-2009, 11:37 AM
if we ask I am sure that Dmitry will arrange a trip for the kids to the Olympic training facility, I think they used to have a cool program for kids there. He is a GREAT guy he will give you his house if he thinks you need it, his bagel making skills are something else though...........

I did say fly fishing, I am more of a spin fisherman myself but have been looking for an excuse to bust out my fly rod. Mike, I know is an avid fly fisherman so I was hoping to drag him along for tips and pointers.

If we go spin fishing, I say we go for paddling for pike, I know some nice spots just outside of Saranac Lake.

Hotels fill up very quickly, it is a big weekend with multiple events going on in town the biggest being the horse show. The Golden Arrow is a great place to stay, but not cheap and I believe they require a 3 or 4 night stay....

be advised too that Lake Placid is not a cheap place, I know we tend to think that once you get upstate things are dirt cheap, not the case here, it is an old money town.

I am expecting to be alone so if anyone wants to come on up and hang out and cook let me know, I will intorduce you to Muffintop!

Scottie
01-07-2009, 11:57 AM
The training facility and the Luge Facility is awesome. My girls got to ride down the indoor starting track with Olympic Medalist Gordy Sheer. Also got to meet current USA Luge Team Members Mark Grimmette and Brian Martin.

Dale P
01-07-2009, 12:03 PM
Scottie that pic is worth alot more than a bag of nuts. Awesome!

HoDeDo
01-07-2009, 12:15 PM
Yea, Dmitry has said he wants to introduce us to the Luge Team and give us a tour, etc. He has a couple other things in mind too, from emails back and forth. Sounds like he is going to burn some time with us. And you are right, he did offer up his place as a home base for our rig. I can't wait to get out there. I'm thinkin' it is going to be the highlight of the whole season.

We are really excited about getting out there and having some time to play around a little. I am figuring there is alot to do... so I am going to try to squeeze in whatever we can.

Pike are fun - I love a good fight!

I figure by end of the month I will know a) if I have won any entries. b) if I will be employed for the next few quarters. c) how much time we actually have before and after the contest to hang! based on the overall travel plan.

Also, I'll be bringing along some competition old enough to cook in the Junior World Championship. More on my guest later... :)

Looks like the Griswolds are going on PLACID VACATION! (queue Nat'l Lampoon's theme music)

if we ask I am sure that Dmitry will arrange a trip for the kids to the Olympic training facility, I think they used to have a cool program for kids there. He is a GREAT guy he will give you his house if he thinks you need it, his bagel making skills are something else though...........

I did say fly fishing, I am more of a spin fisherman myself but have been looking for an excuse to bust out my fly rod. Mike, I know is an avid fly fisherman so I was hoping to drag him along for tips and pointers.

If we go spin fishing, I say we go for paddling for pike, I know some nice spots just outside of Saranac Lake.

Hotels fill up very quickly, it is a big weekend with multiple events going on in town the biggest being the horse show. The Golden Arrow is a great place to stay, but not cheap and I believe they require a 3 or 4 night stay....

be advised too that Lake Placid is not a cheap place, I know we tend to think that once you get upstate things are dirt cheap, not the case here, it is an old money town.

I am expecting to be alone so if anyone wants to come on up and hang out and cook let me know, I will intorduce you to Muffintop!

HoDeDo
01-07-2009, 12:17 PM
The training facility and the Luge Facility is awesome. My girls got to ride down the indoor starting track with Olympic Medalist Gordy Sheer. Also got to meet current USA Luge Team Members Mark Grimmette and Brian Martin.

I think my girls are going to go nuts. That's just tooooo cool.
AG

YankeeBBQ
01-07-2009, 12:24 PM
I'm going to see the Luge world cup in February. It's gonna be ccccccccoooooolllllddd

smokinit
01-07-2009, 12:33 PM
I usually stop our our camps on the way up that are on loon lake near schroon. We go up and spend the day there on thursday and then go up the Lake Placid friday morning.All are welcome to stop in and spend the night and fish the day. I also have a beater canoe I can bring up to the comp if you guy's need one.

Scottie
01-07-2009, 12:35 PM
I'm going to see the Luge world cup in February. It's gonna be ccccccccoooooolllllddd

sweet... I wanted to make it...

Jorge
01-07-2009, 12:36 PM

I've always wanted to make a trip to LP and check out the OTC there, fishing and cooking are a bonus. It would fill my NE cooking block as well. I'll be in touch:mrgreen:

Very cooool! (No pun intended) We were just in Salt Lake/Park City and watched some guys training at the facility there that are trying to work their way onto the team. Insane sport, but very cool!

WannaBeBBQueen
01-08-2009, 07:10 AM
Done...decided...sending our app out today:biggrin:. Can't wait!!

Muzzlebrake
01-08-2009, 07:59 AM
I usually stop our our camps on the way up that are on loon lake near schroon. We go up and spend the day there on thursday and then go up the Lake Placid friday morning.All are welcome to stop in and spend the night and fish the day. I also have a beater canoe I can bring up to the comp if you guy's need one.

that sounds like a good idea, I plan on taking Thursday anyway.

I was hoping to try get this other trip going after the contest, on maybe Monday after the crowds clear out. I have a great spot to go nearby, the launch and parking lot gets kinda nuts on the weekends but is usually empty in the week. Anyone who wants to go just let me know before hand and I will have all the gear we need. I can't promise you we'll catch anything but I will make sure you get a classic Adirondack experience that you will never forget.

I don't know what else anyone wants to do but I would definately recommend taking the tour of the ski jumps and ride the lift up Whiteface, especially all of you flatlanders. You are going to be in the middle of the High Peaks Region of the Adirondack State Park and while our mountains aren't as high as those out west, they are every bit as dramatic.

Scottie
01-08-2009, 09:49 AM
We went up to the top of Whiteface for one trip. Then the next trip we took the chairlift up... As you said, it's pretty dramatic.

Muzzlebrake
01-08-2009, 09:57 AM
have some of those same pics with other people.......lol

whiteface is the only mountain in NY over 4000' that you drive up, but the chairlift is the way to go, if nothing else just to watch the crazy mtn bikers below you.

Scottie
01-08-2009, 10:08 AM
We did the big mistake of walking to the top of Whiteface from the parking lot instead of taking the elevator... That might of been the point I really realized how much lack of oxygen affects a fat and out of shape BBQr... :icon_bugeyed

There are some really cool roadside stops on the way up to the top too. I want to say we had a picnic and then about 50 mountain bikers went flying by... I lost my appetite watching them work so hard... So I popped myself a beer. :twisted::twisted:

smokinit
01-08-2009, 10:15 AM
have some of those same pics with other people.......lol

whiteface is the only mountain in NY over 4000' that you drive up, but the chairlift is the way to go, if nothing else just to watch the crazy mtn bikers below you.

Same here have been there many times. The wife and kids just went up last summer with friends while I was working

Cue's Your Daddy
01-13-2009, 01:25 PM
Anyone know what the Fabulous-taste-o-rama is? want to get entry in. And the Buck-a-rib, do alot of people do it. is it worth doing or is it just more work.

Scottie
01-13-2009, 01:47 PM
Just about everyone does the buck a rib, if nothing else to help Dmitry out. They really bend over backwards for the cooks, the least we could do was sell some ribs... I think we sold out 3 cases in about 30 minutes... So not a lot of effort and the kids did all the selling part...

smknwhlswife
01-13-2009, 01:58 PM
Those are some awesome pictures Scottie! Can't wait to get up there!

LindaM
01-13-2009, 07:29 PM
Some of the hotels have shuttle busses that run to the Oval. Makes it easy for the family.

The fireworks on the 4th are great. You know this year they are doing the Jr World Championship BBQ competition on Sat as well. That is going to be so different. The teams have to dress up as a team, present to hopefully notable judges. Working on getting some big names for the judges on Sat. Now there is a CBJ class on Friday also.

The Giggler
01-13-2009, 10:16 PM

Count on it. The Ausable River just below the ski jumps holds some of the biggest inland trout I've ever caught on dry flies. (Yes, Jorge - FLY FISHING)

I believe there is open water where spin fisherman and fly fisherman could stand side by side and enjoy a nice day on the water!

bbqdavarrow
01-14-2009, 06:20 AM
The six hour drive was well worth the trip. Beautiful little town, we had a great time, my daughter (12) and her friend loved it there. Forgot about reality for 3 days, loved it!

dave
red planet bbq

Sledneck
01-14-2009, 07:34 AM
Some of the hotels have shuttle busses that run to the Oval. Makes it easy for the family.

The fireworks on the 4th are great. You know this year they are doing the Jr World Championship BBQ competition on Sat as well. That is going to be so different. The teams have to dress up as a team, present to hopefully notable judges. Working on getting some big names for the judges on Sat. Now there is a CBJ class on Friday also.
My son Steven(15 by then) is very disappointed that the age group for the jr contest is 16. He started cooking with me when he was 11

smokinit
01-14-2009, 07:46 AM
Count on it. The Ausable River just below the ski jumps holds some of the biggest inland trout I've ever caught on dry flies. (Yes, Jorge - FLY FISHING)

I believe there is open water where spin fisherman and fly fisherman could stand side by side and enjoy a nice day on the water!

Just had my grandfathers 3 piece 9' bamboo rod redone sounds like a good time to try it out.I haven't fished the old Ausable in years.

Jacked UP BBQ
01-14-2009, 08:29 AM
My son Steven(15 by then) is very disappointed that the age group for the jr contest is 16. He started cooking with me when he was 11

I am sure they are not going to ID anyone. Put him in change the date on the birth certificate. White out and a copy machine are priceless.:lol:

Muzzlebrake
01-14-2009, 08:33 AM

love it when a plan comes together!

those waters all catch and release? I know the Ausable more towards Keene is.........

The Giggler
01-14-2009, 09:53 AM
love it when a plan comes together!

those waters all catch and release? I know the Ausable more towards Keene is.........

Towards Keene it is open water. Regulated water starts just outside of LP, and ends above the Ausable Chasm. I would have to look at the NYS Fishing Regs to confirm. There's still a lot of good water below the Chasm. Unfortunately, a great deal of it is posted.... The closer you get to Lake Champlain you get, you start to pickup smallmouth bass and landlocked salmon. (Not that I've spent anytime here....:roll:)

You thinking about hitting the water after the contest?

Like many, we're trying to balance money this year. Steel market is tough. No matter the economy, its a good time to travel, as most companies shut down for that week.

Jorge
01-14-2009, 10:41 AM

Let me look at the schedule seriously now, if the big redheaded Wookie still needs some help.

I tied some Caddis last night:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Sledneck
01-14-2009, 10:50 AM
Let me look at the schedule seriously now, if the big redheaded Wookie still needs some help.

I tied some Caddis last night:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:Cmon Jorge make it happen. I would even be willing to split a hotel room with you:twisted:

Muzzlebrake
01-14-2009, 11:54 AM

your help will always is welcomed.....maybe with a little luck I will be able to show off my new Kimber and my fishing skills......

Cmon Jorge make it happen. I would even be willing to split a hotel room with you:twisted:

like he wants to see that show again!!! :biggrin:

Muzzlebrake
01-14-2009, 11:56 AM
You thinking about hitting the water after the contest?

I am thinking that it will be a whole lot less crowded after Sunday

Bigdog
01-14-2009, 12:06 PM

Big redheaded Wookie, now that is funny. :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Jorge
01-14-2009, 12:48 PM
Cmon Jorge make it happen. I would even be willing to split a hotel room with you:twisted:

I saw your split about to peek out of your Underoos when I walked into MY room at the Royal. Walking back down to the desk and getting another room was the best decision I've made in a LONG time.

The Giggler
01-14-2009, 02:06 PM

That time of year, cream and tan caddis should be working. Some big mays might still be around. Guess it depends on the early summer rains and temps. The Ausable is a freestone.

When I was there last, there were BIG March Browns hatching, and they held the OLD trout's attention. There wasn't even a wisper of wind, so I fished a 1 wt with a long leader and a comparadun. Nothing like catching big trout on a big river with a very light rod.

Anyone know if there's a sporting clays course up there? Could even do a cast and blast? Morning fishing excursion, afternoon shoot, and head back to the water for the evening action.

I've got to work my hind end off so we can make this trip.

LindaM
01-14-2009, 04:23 PM
They are going to ID very strickly. They must be between the ages of 16 and 21. They are going with some Olympic rules and regulations.

I am sure they are not going to ID anyone. Put him in change the date on the birth certificate. White out and a copy machine are priceless.:lol:

ihbobry
01-14-2009, 06:35 PM
They are going to ID very strickly. They must be between the ages of 16 and 21. They are going with some Olympic rules and regulations.

I lobbied Dmitry to get this lowered as well. Could you please elaborate on the rules and regs and the reasoning behind it? I have 2 young men on our team and on the circut for 2 years that want to do this but can't @ 14 for one and a few days short of 13 for the other...

HoDeDo
01-14-2009, 09:32 PM
I lobbied Dmitry to get this lowered as well. Could you please elaborate on the rules and regs and the reasoning behind it? I have 2 young men on our team and on the circut for 2 years that want to do this but can't @ 14 for one and a few days short of 13 for the other...

My daughter is 8, has cooked in no less than 12 kids ques, and won/placed in several. I lobbied for her to get in as well... but he wants to keep it to the older kids. I can't blame him... alot to undertake out there! But if he does institute a younger age group... I would put Kaylin in. I think it is a little too much for Lauren, alot of cooking!!

CTSmokehouse
01-14-2009, 10:08 PM

Ask the Chinese Government etc...about Olympic rules and regulations....? I appreciate what they do at Lake Placid.. it's a great venue, first class, I experienced it, they have their rules ...This is about BBQ ... isn't it?

Nuf said...

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

P.S. I have a son 16, daughter 14... would love to have them compete...both cook very well...

bbqesq
01-15-2009, 12:05 PM

Do the olympic rules and regs include steroid testing?

ihbobry
01-16-2009, 05:10 PM
Do the olympic rules and regs include steroid testing?

only of the brisket and butt, but, you knew that... didn't you?

smokinit
01-26-2009, 01:24 PM
I just finalized everything with Dimitry I will be donating a BWS chubby with a Digi Q2 and some other goodies to the winner of the Junior class this year. Good Luck and see you there!!

Jacked UP BBQ
01-26-2009, 01:31 PM
I just finalized everything with Dimitry I will be donating a BWS chubby with a Digi Q2 and some other goodies to the winner of the Junior class this year. Good Luck and se you there!!

thats awesome

HoDeDo
01-27-2009, 12:02 AM
I just finalized everything with Dimitry I will be donating a BWS chubby with a Digi Q2 and some other goodies to the winner of the Junior class this year. Good Luck and see you there!!

That rocks!!! I wish my gal was going to get to cook! She'd love a shot at that! I'm sure Dmitry was ecstatic!!

The Anchorman
01-27-2009, 07:07 AM
There may be a BBQ Depot Team showing up for the contest.
Trying to get my twin 21 year old and 20 year old sons to get the same time off. But it doesn't look promising, that weekend is also my parents 50th wedding aniversery.

smokinit
01-27-2009, 07:25 AM
I am working on Mike to try to match me one and give on to second place also. It would be just a basic chubby none of the extras that first place will get.

lunchlady
01-27-2009, 12:44 PM
I hear ya about the age thing for the JR World Championship. Both my kids (the Cold Cuts) have been cooking for a while now... but they are only 10 and 12, so that's a bust.
Too bad, I'd put 'em up against any 16 yr old.

Did Dmitri say anything about a Kid's Q? Maybe for next year?? (hope springs up...)

HoDeDo
01-27-2009, 09:23 PM
I hear ya about the age thing for the JR World Championship. Both my kids (the Cold Cuts) have been cooking for a while now... but they are only 10 and 12, so that's a bust.
Too bad, I'd put 'em up against any 16 yr old.

Did Dmitri say anything about a Kid's Q? Maybe for next year?? (hope springs up...)

He did say that would be something to shoot for.... he wants to really make a big impression with what he's got, and worry about expansion next year....

And his contest will be first class for the JWC. Pretty amazing... cant wait to see it unfold.

Cue's Your Daddy
01-29-2009, 05:00 PM
If this helps.. if you are looking for a place to stay in lake placid and use the website of a hotel to check if there is availability and it says no, it is not always true. I called one place that the internet said was booked that actually had alot of availability. They said they have that on the internet as sold out because they do not want to overbook. The place was the golden arrow resort. Seems like a nice place. my family should be hap py. only 2 minute walk to contest and they have 2 bedroom suites available. Is anyone staying at the KOA. I booked the hotel but would rather bring the RV and camp....

Muzzlebrake
01-29-2009, 06:39 PM
If this helps.. if you are looking for a place to stay in lake placid and use the website of a hotel to check if there is availability and it says no, it is not always true. I called one place that the internet said was booked that actually had alot of availability. They said they have that on the internet as sold out because they do not want to overbook. The place was the golden arrow resort. Seems like a nice place. my family should be hap py. only 2 minute walk to contest and they have 2 bedroom suites available. Is anyone staying at the KOA. I booked the hotel but would rather bring the RV and camp....

dude that is way cool I tried online and as bummed. We stayed there last year it was sweet. not cheap but a cool place to stay

Cue's Your Daddy
01-30-2009, 06:30 AM
If u call the golden arrow ask for jennifer or heidi and tell them u are friends with Dmitry and competing in the BBQ contest. This was all per Dmitry, who side note, is an awesome guy. Never met him, only contact on email, and he treats you like a long time friend.

goodsmokebbq
01-30-2009, 08:48 AM
I second that about Dmitry!

WannaBeBBQueen
01-30-2009, 08:54 AM
I'll third that...he offered us his driveway for our trailer if we decide to come up before thursday!! Any cheap..lol hotels/motels near by?

Cue's Your Daddy
01-30-2009, 10:05 AM
NO joke, He offered me his backyard for my rv. full hookup for my wife and kids.

smokinit
01-30-2009, 11:40 AM
You have to hook up with him after hrs he is a trip.

Scottie
01-30-2009, 11:43 AM
vodka.

Cue's Your Daddy
06-02-2009, 06:19 AM
A little over a month until the contest. Spoke to Dmitry yesterday and they are up to 22 teams. He thinks he should get 35-40. I cant wait for this one. Sounds like a great time.

HoDeDo
06-02-2009, 07:10 AM
We cant wait either. Dmitry has been awesome for us as well. His warm and gracious nature is what made us decide to plan the trip from KS!

We can't wait; not sure how living out of the 5th wheel for 14 days is going to treat us, (or the 2800 mile round trip) but we are excited!

Cue's Your Daddy
06-02-2009, 07:54 AM
Living out of a 5th wheel for 2 weeks WITH KIDS... WOW. Good luck.. LOL. We are going to do 1 week after the Hudson Valley ribfest in August and i am already stressing about it.

Smokin Turkey
06-02-2009, 08:17 AM
I am looking at this one. It's an 8 hour drive (on the map) havent figured out gas since its still going up but it could be a gamble for me. I was told it gets large crowds. Anyone been to this before?

goodsmokebbq
06-02-2009, 08:35 AM
Lots of fun and nice crowds...