PDA

View Full Version : Team of the year *Poll*

BBQchef33
01-02-2009, 11:29 AM
The forumula for KCBS TOY was changed last year to include teams top 10 scores.

From what I was able to see, only 1% of the teams cooked 10 or more contests.

Only 1% qualified?! (Someone correct me if im wrong).

So, just out of curiosity to see what the pulse is.....

Should the team of the year point calculations be brought back down to include only the top 5 contests instead of 10?

Poll to follow.

KC_Bobby
01-02-2009, 11:40 AM
1%??? Holy cow that's small. But for this purpose, I think it's also important to factor in how many teams that only enter 1 competition a year. Subtracting teams that only did 1 comp, what percent of teams did over 10 comps?

ique
01-02-2009, 12:10 PM
Only 1% qualified?! (Someone correct me if im wrong).

You can qualify with only 1 score... in order to be competitive, you need 10.

BBQchef33
01-02-2009, 12:15 PM
You can qualify with only 1 score... in order to be competitive, you need 10.

yup. true..

KCbbby.. theres no way of knowing how many contests a team cooked based on the scores.

Double D's BBQ
01-02-2009, 12:27 PM
I don't see how a team could lay claim to the KCBS Team of The Year if they only cooked 5 comps. There are just too many teams, too many contests in too many regions of the U.S. Under the current rules if they only counted the top 5 scores it would be a muddled mess at the top and would still benefit those teams that cook 20 or more contests a year. Everyone would be screaming that they are number 1. Again if they want to include the little guy in this, perhaps divisions are in order. I'm just not sure at what level you would make the break. 5, 10, 15, or 20. It's an interesting stat that less than 50 teams cook more than 10 contests. It would be interesting to see a breakdown of those 40 teams and see how many contests those teams cook. That might help to come up with a divisional system to see where that break might be. My gut feeling is telling me that there are many in the top 40 that are cooking much more than 10 and probably more than 20.

How about a $250,000 Invitational Contest or Tournament to determine the KCBS World Champion and Team of The Year?

Ford
01-02-2009, 12:31 PM
I understand why they want 10. A team that cooks a lot of contests and gets maybe 6 GC's would only count 5. A team with 4 GC's and 5 RC's would certainly not do as well as somebody with 5 GC's and no RC's assuming the same number of participants at each contest. What team is the better cook? Personally I think the one with 5 and 4.

BUT as a cook that probably won't do 10 I like 5. I know I would have been better than the top 200 (overall, chicken, ribs and just missed in pork and brisket) if we only counted 5. How about publish the scores based on 5 and 10. If you did less than 10 contests in a year you could compete agianst the teams that do less than 10 for the amateur TOY. More than 10 and you're in the pro division.

arlieque
01-02-2009, 05:51 PM
Why not move it back to 5 and then take the top 50, score them at 0 again and have a cookoff to determine who is #1?

Plowboy
01-02-2009, 05:56 PM
I say 7 1/2.

SmokeInDaEye
01-02-2009, 06:34 PM
I say 7 1/2.

I still don't qualify. Only did 4 1/2. What about just one? Teams have to pick a contest at the beginning of the year and that score is the only one that counts, good or bad.

Personally, I feel I'm only as good as my last score. Could I do 15-20 contests and come up with 10 really solid ones? Probably. But time and money will never permit that so let the big dogs duke it out for bragging rights.

MilitantSquatter
01-02-2009, 08:36 PM
I don't see how a team could lay claim to the KCBS Team of The Year if they only cooked 5 comps. There are just too many teams, too many contests in too many regions of the U.S. Under the current rules if they only counted the top 5 scores it would be a muddled mess at the top and would still benefit those teams that cook 20 or more contests a year. Everyone would be screaming that they are number 1. Again if they want to include the little guy in this, perhaps divisions are in order. I'm just not sure at what level you would make the break. 5, 10, 15, or 20. It's an interesting stat that less than 50 teams cook more than 10 contests. It would be interesting to see a breakdown of those 40 teams and see how many contests those teams cook. That might help to come up with a divisional system to see where that break might be. My gut feeling is telling me that there are many in the top 40 that are cooking much more than 10 and probably more than 20.

How about a $250,000 Invitational Contest or Tournament to determine the KCBS World Champion and Team of The Year?

Prior to this year.. it was based on 5 contests so teams did claim the honor with only 5.

I think the BOD pulled the # 10 out of a hat or something. Not based on any substantial analysis based on the few responses I received from the BOD at the beginning of the year. Two BOD members were not even aware their was a change made...

I don't think divisions are the answer..

At the end of the day, the members who compete 1 time and the members who compete 20+ times, all pay the same annual dues so if the overwhelming majority compete less than 5, then it only seems reasonable to go much closer to where the avg. member is. If a minority of teams chose to compete 10-30 times a year, that is their perogative and they get a better chance of increasing their top 5 placings.

bigabyte
01-02-2009, 08:47 PM
I can understand both sides, so that makes me think the answer is in the middle. I think using the average number of comps per team is the fairest. This way those who compete less than average are not on par with those who compete above average. And those who compete a lot more get an advantage of potentially having more high scores to choose from.

Vince RnQ
01-02-2009, 10:16 PM
Why not move it back to 5 and then take the top 50, score them at 0 again and have a cookoff to determine who is #1?

Only if you're the one organizing the contest, amigo!

Scottie
01-02-2009, 10:34 PM

Bring it...

HoDeDo
01-02-2009, 11:05 PM
I say give it to the guy with the most reserve grands under no less than 3 team names :)