PDA

View Full Version : Roll Call. Inside 30 days. KCBS 2009 Election

Plowboy
01-02-2009, 07:33 AM
Let's get a count of Brethren votes.

I voted last night already.

drbbq
01-02-2009, 07:41 AM
My election email was in my junk file but I found it and voted.

bbqbull
01-02-2009, 07:59 AM
I didnt renew my membership.

Dale P
01-02-2009, 08:02 AM
I havent recieved the email, yet.

ThomEmery
01-02-2009, 08:21 AM
Voted for Gene and Merl
Open Meetings, Open Financials, Open Minded :)

CajunSmoker
01-02-2009, 08:22 AM

ditto. and didn't see anyplace to vote on the KCBS site.

jvreeland
01-02-2009, 08:46 AM
I received mine this morning and went ahead and took care of the voting before I forgot :-D

Plowboy
01-02-2009, 09:00 AM
Open Meetings, Open Financials

That's the platform I was looking for as well. I only voted for three.

EDITORIAL: Please support Mike Buddai.

Plowboy
01-02-2009, 09:01 AM
My election email was in my junk

I speak for all of us when I say that we don't want to hear about your "junk", Ray. :cool:

HoDeDo
01-02-2009, 09:05 AM
ditto. and didn't see anyplace to vote on the KCBS site.

I dont think there is one. they are using a 3rd party company's hosted application. Your username and password to vote are generated by them, so you need the email to vote anyway...

EatonHoggBBQ
01-02-2009, 09:24 AM
Just got my e-mail today and will be voting shortly.

MoKanMeathead
01-02-2009, 09:36 AM
I voted

CajunSmoker
01-02-2009, 10:29 AM
I just received my e mail and voted. Disregard my previous "no" vote.

Jeff_in_KC
01-02-2009, 10:37 AM
Voted... Mike Budai!!!

MIKE BUDAI

1. Please describe the skills you possess (which you believe are stronger than the other candidates) which would make you an asset as a board member, in dealing with the challenges facing KCBS, and give an example of how those skills would serve the KCBS board of Directors and its membership.

Being self employed in the computer industry I know what its like to wear many hats.
To be successful, it takes responsibility and commitment.
Being self employed also allows me a more flexible schedule.

2. If you are a Cook, Judge, Rep or Backyard Cook, please identify the major KCBS issues concerning, one of areas in which you are involved. Describe the major issue, your strategies to correct or improve the issue, and what you see as the biggest challenge to the success of your plan.

Up until the 2008 season, KCBS updated the rules, regulations, organizer requirements, forms, rep responsibilities, etc. in January and kept them in place for that season. This year, that policy changed. While it may seem like a good idea to make changes along the way, the result was, lots of confusion among the reps, organizers, teams and judges that ended up with contests running on different forms and rules. Even the KCBS office couldn’t keep current on the correct forms.
I think KCBS should go back to yearly updates so that organizers, teams, reps and judges are all on the same page in all parts of the country.

3. Identify your major short term goal and the major long term goal, if elected to the Board of KCBS and your plan to implement change or improvement in order to carry out each of these goals.

Being a rep, having cooked and judged, a recurring issue I would like to address:
Teams keep asking me for explanation for how four out of six judges can score an entry an eight or nine while the remaining judges score it five, four or even a three. KCBS has tried several changes to the scoring criteria trying to minimize erratic scoring, the latest change, using descriptors on the score cards, just seems to have made matters worse.
For the short term, I propose KCBS go to: An entry comes in and is scored up or down on its merits. (I believe this system produced more consistent results)
Longer term, I think better testing of scoring changes should be used before implementing. We now have several generations of CBJ’s that have all been taught different scoring systems and I believe this has had a negative effect on the quality of the scoring.

4. If elected please explain “your level of commitment, time and energy” for committee projects and monthly reports, board meetings and attendance, as well as representing KCBS to the public and being responsive to our members.

I am the type of person that finishes what he starts.
I will attend the board and committee meetings.
I will listen.

5. Please describe your participation in KCBS activities and years of experience.

Joined KCBS and became a CBJ in 1999.
Received Master CBJ in 2001.
Started to Rep in 2002.
Former member of Four Men And A Pig.

6. Please explain why you want to be a member of the KCBS Board.
I feel that it is easy to complain about a situation.
It requires more of an effort to find a solution.
As a board member, I will not just help find solutions but be able to implement them.
mikebudai@yahoo.com
913-782-2461

Pig Headed
01-02-2009, 10:48 AM
I voted early this am.

Big Ugly's BBQ
01-02-2009, 11:00 AM
Voted early this morning, it was waiting in my inbox when I got to work.

smknwhlswife
01-02-2009, 11:08 AM
Done!

ov1
01-02-2009, 11:12 AM
voted. good luck to all the candidates

KC_Bobby
01-02-2009, 11:33 AM
I'm still awaiting my email ... have they all went out?

I checked my spam box, not there either. It is possible that KCBS has my old email on file, since I changed it this year ... so that could explain it.

I see Merl posted an email address on another site for members who have not received the email, so if anyone else is in the same boat as me, email - elections@kcbs.us and let them know that you did not receive your email that provides you voting access.

michiana mark
01-02-2009, 12:24 PM
Great to be a Barbequer. I voted.:-D

Gene01
01-02-2009, 12:45 PM
*KCBS Election Begins Today*

Please vote for me Gene Goycochea for KCBS Board

My Platform
1. Open Board meetings for all current members
2. Open and accurate financials available to all current members in the members only area of the KCBS website.
3. Return members right to vote on all major issues during election times pertaining to KCBS
4. Work to set up a podcast of all meetings of the board that can be broadcast through the KCBS website for all members to download and listen to at their convenience
5. If elected, I will be available to all members by phone or fax to discuss issues and present tem to the Board, the following is my contact information
My phone number is: 619-520-5741
My e-mail is: gene@genestowing.net (gene@genestowing.net)

Reason to run for the board
I feel that it is my responsibility to help the Organization that supports my passion; I love BBQ, the people and feel that it is a part of my life and would like the opportunity to make it more enjoyable and help it to grow even more over the next year if elected.
Reason to vote for me
I have been a leader in many charity and non charity organizations; I have a large interest in BBQ as it is my passion. I know most of the players who are influential and are willing to help and advice, I have been a board member of the local California BBQ association since its inception, I am a doer and will work my hardest to obtain the goals that we set at the board level, I will work with the membership to see what and where they feel we need to go as a National organization

Some of my background
I have been an Organizer of contests for more than 10 years.
2. I have been a Rep for 10 years.
3. I am a KCBS Judging class instructor.
4. I was the KCBS State rep for California, Arizona and Nevada when the program existed
5. I am a member of the KCBS committee for Reps.
6. I am a member of the KCBS committee for new ideas
7. I am a Master Judge
8. I have been competing for over 10 years
9. I am a founding member of CBBQA
10. I love BBQ and will work hard to make it grow and prosper

VA BBQ PIRATES
01-02-2009, 01:09 PM
Voted... Mike Budai!!!

MIKE BUDAI

Hey Jeff,

We're gonna have to agree to disagree on this one. My only experience with his was at the Royal when we found out that do to a clerical error we were not on the list for the Invitational, (several teams were left off).

Not only was he not helpful, he truly didn't seem to care and was rude to myself and my wife.

Tom

Westexbbq
01-02-2009, 01:54 PM
You bet,
and glad once again my ballot was submitted.

Sledneck
01-02-2009, 03:09 PM
Never got the email

Merl
01-02-2009, 03:19 PM

Dale you should have received an email from elections online. Please send a note to:

elections@kcbs.us with your correct e-mail, member number if you know it and Linda M. will take care of it for you.
Yours in Q
Merl

Jacked UP BBQ
01-02-2009, 03:19 PM
Never got the email

Because they don't like ash-holes

Merl
01-02-2009, 03:26 PM
Don't laugh,
I was worried about the emails going out. I woke up at 3:30 a.m. At four I got out of bed and turned on the computer to check and see if I had the email. I did and took the time to vote.....

I think I will take a nap now.

Again, any member who did not receive the e-mail please send an e-mail to:
elections@kcbs.us

include name, member # and your e-mail.

Yours in Q
Merl Whitebook

CajunSmoker
01-02-2009, 04:21 PM
Don't laugh,
I was worried about the emails going out. I woke up at 3:30 a.m. At four I got out of bed and turned on the computer to check and see if I had the email. I did and took the time to vote.....

elections@kcbs.us

Yours in Q
Merl Whitebook

And chit like that is why you got my vote:cool:

EatonHoggBBQ
01-02-2009, 08:13 PM
And chit like that is why you got my vote:cool:

What he said..

Spydermike72
01-02-2009, 08:47 PM
I just finished my patriotic duty as a member of the KCBS. Good Luck to all of the Candidates, especially Merl and Gene!!

bigabyte
01-02-2009, 08:53 PM
No email yet. Guess I better check my junk folder.

SteveGrinstead
01-02-2009, 08:54 PM
After having to resubmit for the 2nd year in a row that i do have the letter "G" in my email address i have voted. It is extremely frustrating that i have to do this again.

But like having to wade threw flooded streets or dodge traffic to cross a busy street i have voted.

Now we have to wait and say "who voted for him?" LOL good luck to all of the candidates and Happy New Year

Steve

KC_Bobby
01-02-2009, 09:13 PM
No email yet. Guess I better check my junk folder.

Nothing here yet either. Fortunately, plenty of time to vote.

Roo-B-Q'N
01-02-2009, 09:33 PM
I voted this morning. Would an "exit poll" be in poor taste?

Alexa RnQ
01-02-2009, 09:39 PM
Email received, voting accomplished, seamless and problem-free.

DMDon
01-03-2009, 12:56 AM
My duty is done

billygbob
01-03-2009, 06:14 AM
Its too bad KCBS doesn't have cumulative voting. I would like to have cast all 4 of my votes - if there had been 4 worth voting for. (I know, leaving any votes unused is illogical; it was a moral decision.) Merl would run away with votes if he could get 3 or 4 votes from every voting member.

Dale P
01-03-2009, 07:49 AM
Don't laugh,

elections@kcbs.us

Yours in Q
Merl Whitebook

Merl, I cannot use that link so I just emailed the KCBS, and will wait a couple of days. Thanks.

WannaBeBBQueen
01-03-2009, 08:16 AM
did it done complete!

RixCue
01-03-2009, 08:48 AM
Hey Jeff,

We're gonna have to agree to disagree on this one. My only experience with his was at the Royal when we found out that do to a clerical error we were not on the list for the Invitational, (several teams were left off).

Not only was he not helpful, he truly didn't seem to care and was rude to myself and my wife.

Tom

Thanks for the heads up . I am sure he was under a bunch of presure at the Royal, but it is how a man handles that presure that I look at. I know how I would feel if I drove out from the East Coast to be greeted poorly.

Rick

toys4dlr
01-03-2009, 09:14 AM
I voted this morning, very smooth process

SloppyQ
01-03-2009, 10:13 AM
Voting Now

Merl
01-03-2009, 10:22 AM
Merl, I cannot use that link so I just emailed the KCBS, and will wait a couple of days. Thanks.

Dale,
PM your current e-mail to me, and I will send it to Linda. The office does not handle the elections. If you do it today we will get you fixed by dinner :-P

Merl

Jorge
01-03-2009, 10:23 AM
Done.

Bride of Roo(BQ'n)
01-03-2009, 10:47 AM
Obvious choices this year, done!

Dale P
01-03-2009, 11:44 AM
Thanks Merl. PM sent.

Dustaway
01-03-2009, 02:59 PM
I voted last night very simple

Sidw
01-03-2009, 03:02 PM
Done!

LindaM
01-03-2009, 08:55 PM

Check your email now!!!

Dale P
01-04-2009, 07:29 AM
They had my info wrong but Linda fixed it. Thank you Linda & Merl.

Done!

Butcher BBQ
01-04-2009, 10:52 AM
I voted, Its a shame we can't have it that easy when voteing for our local and State politicans.

Bigmista
01-04-2009, 01:39 PM
Done. Merl and Gene are the only ones who seem to have any interest in what happens out west in my experience.

Trainwreck
01-04-2009, 02:06 PM
Done!

ihbobry
01-04-2009, 03:07 PM
I am not appreciative of people running for office sending me an email soliciting my vote. The only source of that email would be the KCBS database. I'd ask people running for the board to not do this in the future.

The Giggler
01-05-2009, 09:16 AM
Voting complete. Ballot accepted.

tonto1117
01-05-2009, 09:32 AM
Walt and myself received our emails. Done.

Jeff_in_KC
01-05-2009, 01:00 PM
Tom and Rick, you cannot go on a one-time experience to get the true measure of a man. I guarantee you that Mike is one of the most thorough and attentive reps around the midwest and that he truly has the heart to serve the members and retain at least some semblance of what Gary Wells founded KCBS for in the first place. Tom, I can sympathize with your issue at the Royal. But how do you know what he was dealing with right before your issue came up? There's a LOT of crap and disorganization that happens at the Royal which can be tough on anyone. None of us are perfect and none of us have lived a life of NEVER taking something out on someone who didn't deserve it or was in the wrong place at the wrong time whether it be your spouse, friends, another driver on the road, whatever.

KC_Bobby
01-05-2009, 06:43 PM
done

Diva
01-05-2009, 06:45 PM
I am not appreciative of people running for office sending me an email soliciting my vote. The only source of that email would be the KCBS database. I'd ask people running for the board to not do this in the future.

AMEN! Irritating.

Diva
01-05-2009, 06:50 PM
Tom and Rick, you cannot go on a one-time experience to get the true measure of a man. I guarantee you that Mike is one of the most thorough and attentive reps around the midwest and that he truly has the heart to serve the members and retain at least some semblance of what Gary Wells founded KCBS for in the first place. Tom, I can sympathize with your issue at the Royal. But how do you know what he was dealing with right before your issue came up? There's a LOT of crap and disorganization that happens at the Royal which can be tough on anyone. None of us are perfect and none of us have lived a life of NEVER taking something out on someone who didn't deserve it or was in the wrong place at the wrong time whether it be your spouse, friends, another driver on the road, whatever.

I agree. That is ONE of the contests I wouldn't want to Rep with a ten foot pole!!! They have at least 6-8 reps that do the Royal. There's issues every year, (as expected with 400 plus teams) the reps get their information from the organizer....you can only work with what you're given. I, too, ask that Mike not be judged over one incident at the world's largest bbq competition.

Plowboy
01-05-2009, 06:53 PM
AMEN! Irritating.

I enjoy it. Makes me feel wanted.

Diva
01-05-2009, 06:55 PM
Get outta here! lol!

bcis93
01-05-2009, 07:03 PM
Still waiting on email. I did send a message but no reply yet.

Smokin' Joe
01-05-2009, 07:50 PM
Voted! Simple enough...you can count me in the "open" vote category...

Big George's BBQ
01-05-2009, 08:06 PM
I voted the other day

watertowerbbq
01-05-2009, 09:24 PM
just voted. easy.

bigabyte
01-05-2009, 09:37 PM
Still waiting on email. I did send a message but no reply yet.
Same here. I sent the email Friday night though so I figure I'll give it a few more days.

Merl
01-06-2009, 02:05 PM
Same here. I sent the email Friday night though so I figure I'll give it a few more days.

Chris, I sent yours in as well. I suspect there is a problem with the e-mail we have for you. Please pm me, with your correct e-mail and I will forward to Linda M.

Merl

Rookie'48
01-06-2009, 04:55 PM
Got 'er did! Merl & Gene, good luck!

Gene01
01-06-2009, 05:19 PM
Thank you for your good luck wishes Dave!!

bigabyte
01-06-2009, 06:28 PM
PM sent. I know the email addy is working. Gene sent an email to it just Sunday.

Merl
01-06-2009, 08:24 PM
PM sent. I know the email addy is working. Gene sent an email to it just Sunday.

I just sent it to Linda M again.
Merl

scottyd
01-07-2009, 02:37 PM
We voted today.

Thanks M for your help today. Scotty D

bigabyte
01-07-2009, 06:30 PM
Got my email today and I voted! A great big Thank You to Merl for all the help.

Plowboy
01-08-2009, 10:21 PM
Ping - Vote!!!

ThomEmery
01-09-2009, 08:09 AM
Wonder why the voting period is so long?

Scottie
01-09-2009, 09:28 AM
for idiots like me... I'm still trying to figure out who I am voting for... :roll::roll:

I like to porkrastinate...

goodsmokebbq
01-09-2009, 10:07 AM
Ballot accepted...

ModelMaker
01-09-2009, 01:10 PM
I have succsessfully voted.....
ModelMaker

Mike - CSBBBQ
01-09-2009, 07:49 PM
Voted and received the confirmation email.

Captain Caveman
01-09-2009, 11:11 PM
My wife and I voted.

RixCue
01-10-2009, 12:56 AM
Done !

Nitrofly
01-10-2009, 07:24 PM
I voted.. the wife is next :rolleyes:

Just Smokin' Around
01-10-2009, 10:48 PM
My votes are in. Now the waiting game to see who wins. More importantly, to see if it makes a difference.

Merl
01-11-2009, 09:15 AM
If you have not voted and are a current member of KCBS (by December 15) then you should have received an additional e-mail from elections on line reminding you this is the final week to vote.

If you did not receive the first e mail or this reminder then you must email

elections@kcbs.us

You will be contacted and provided your user name and password.

Thanks for taking the time to vote.
Yours in Que
Merl Whitebook

lunchlady
01-11-2009, 10:15 AM
OK... I finally voted... the husband is next ...

LindaM
01-11-2009, 10:17 AM
Thanks Merl,

I was about to post the same thing this morning. I had them add a blip to the KCBS website as well. I guess people are reading it because today I received quite a few requests. VOTE VOTE VOTE

motoeric
01-11-2009, 04:36 PM
Has anyone seen any endorsements made for candidates other than on here?

I'd be interested in seeing who people are voting for and why (actually, I already voted so it's not all that important).

I know that current BoD members can't publicly endorse someone. I wonder who past members are voting for?

Eric

big brother smoke
01-11-2009, 06:41 PM
Bingo

CTSmokehouse
01-12-2009, 05:59 AM
My votes in....

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

EatonHoggBBQ
01-12-2009, 07:30 AM
elections@kcbs.us

Yours in Q
Merl Whitebook

For a family membership. Does your spouse have voting privileges also?

stlgreg
01-12-2009, 07:51 AM
yes, my wife and I both voted.
You both have to have seperate emails addresses.
Just give them a call and get that other email address added :)