PDA

View Full Version : Menu Change

Bigmista
12-08-2008, 03:26 PM
Hey folx!

I just updated the menus on our site. Can you take a look at them and let me know what you think?

http://www.bigmista.com

Thanks!

Bigdog
12-08-2008, 03:45 PM
For your pre-ordered meals at the Farmer's Market, I felt like you need to put an: Order by date and time.

Divemaster
12-08-2008, 03:51 PM
The 'Vending Menu' looks great. Very clear and concise, easy to read, and great descriptions without being to wordy.

The 'Catering Menu' looks good in general, but of course I do have a couple of comments and questions....

MRS. MISTA?2 Meats and BIGMISTA?3 Meats - Why is there a '?' after the 'MISTA'? I don't know if it explorer that is causing it or not.
(12 and under?????.25 minimum) - Not a big fan of all the '?'
Also, it took me a moment to figure out how to read them. I don't know why but I kept wanting to read left to right and not break them into the three columns you had set up. Is there any kind of vertical separator that you could use to make it more distinguishable?

Hope I'm not being to picky...

BBQ Grail
12-08-2008, 03:54 PM
Neil,

The Catering Menu is just to hard to read. I would drop the white type on black background. That might make it a little easier. But overall it's just jumbled.

Sorry!

Marsha
12-08-2008, 04:32 PM
The vending menu looks good. The catering menu is a bit confusing... it doesn't "flow"

wnkt
12-08-2008, 05:39 PM
Made me hungry...and I just got done eating.

Dr_KY
12-08-2008, 06:26 PM
I would put trophy's and other awards in pictures on the site. I looked for them under competition. I think this addition will help people to see the difference and obvious quality.

MrsMista
12-08-2008, 06:30 PM
Center all the yellow headings. Stop the pricings from wrapping. Center the links that are going across the top. And if you're moving those up then you should be consistent on your other pages. Or you could listen to me and attach a pdf.

BBQ Grail
12-08-2008, 06:30 PM
Center all the yellow headings. Stop the pricings from wrapping. Center the links that are going across the top. And if you're moving those up then you should be consistent on your other pages. Or you could listen to me and attach a pdf.

Listen to the wife, Stinky Boy!

Bigmista
12-08-2008, 06:35 PM
I don't like .pdf files. They take too long to load and it doesn't match the rest of the site. And print doesn't translate to the web.

So there.

BBQ Grail
12-08-2008, 06:40 PM
I don't like .pdf files. They take too long to load and it doesn't match the rest of the site. And print doesn't translate to the web.

So there.

Actually, as a Certified Acrobat Engineer, I would have to disagree. If you create a PDF for the purpose of putting it on a website (it's called optimizing for web viewing) it will load faster.

The problem most people have is that they create complicated original documents and feel like they need to create them in high resolution. When creating for web viewing that's not needed.

There are a variety of different ways to accomplish your task without creating a PDF that bogs down the system.

The main advantage of a PDF is that it can be saved to a person's desktop and is a constant reminder they want to do business with you.

But what do I know...

Bigmista
12-08-2008, 06:46 PM
You know NOTHING!!!!

But tell MrsMista how to do that optimizy thing anyway.

MrsMista
Actually, as a Certified Acrobat Engineer, I would have to disagree. If you create a PDF for the purpose of putting it on a website (it's called optimizing for web viewing) it will load faster.

The problem most people have is that they create complicated original documents and feel like they need to create them in high resolution. When creating for web viewing that's not needed.

There are a variety of different ways to accomplish your task without creating a PDF that bogs down the system.

The main advantage of a PDF is that it can be saved to a person's desktop and is a constant reminder they want to do business with you.

But what do I know...

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!

NotleyQue
Neil. I have to agree with Larry.

The Catering Menu is very hard to read, and in this day of very short attention spans people will move on to the next more easy to read menu.

Keep it simple for the folks.
Add pictures of the food, not trophys, people want to see what they are eating, not what you have won.

Just spend a bit more time tweaking the Catering portion and you are set.

Neil,

The Catering Menu is just to hard to read. I would drop the white type on black background. That might make it a little easier. But overall it's just jumbled.

Sorry!

BBQ Grail
12-08-2008, 06:48 PM
You know NOTHING!!!!

But tell MrsMista how to do that optimizy thing anyway.

What "full" version of Adobe Acrobat do you have? Can't be "Reader".

MrsMista
12-08-2008, 06:50 PM
What "full" version of Adobe Acrobat do you have? Can't be "Reader".

I have Professional 7.0.

yelonutz
12-08-2008, 06:53 PM
Instead of Tri tip, Why not SistaMista, in honor of Morgan. It would fit in better with the Mrs Mista and Big Mista.

NUTZ

NotleyQue
12-08-2008, 06:54 PM
One other thing I noticed is your Brisket should be a tad bit higher in price.
You are low balling yourself on the price.

I charge 100 bucks for 1 -13 pound (Pre Cooked) brisket, and have had zero complaints on the price. I let the customer know that it takes 15-20 hours to cook, and it will be the most incredible piece of meat that they have ever tasted.

But then again, I am Darth Brisket.

backporchbbq
12-08-2008, 06:54 PM
The vending menu looks good. The catering menu is a bit confusing... it doesn't "flow"

I would have to agree, the vending menue is good. The catering one is very difficult to read.

Bigmista
12-08-2008, 06:57 PM
She has one of the full versions. I don't know which.

MrsMista
12-08-2008, 06:58 PM

I charge 100 bucks for 1 -13 pound (Pre Cooked) brisket, and have had zero complaints on the price. I let the customer know that it takes 15-20 hours to cook, and it will be the most incredible piece of meat that they have ever tasted.

I thought brisket should be higher also. Neil kept saying the cost is about the same, didn't think about the cost of sleep.

Bigmista
12-08-2008, 06:59 PM

Must be those rich folks in San Diego.

Bigmista
12-08-2008, 07:00 PM
I thought brisket should be higher also. Neil kept saying the cost is about the same, didn't think about the cost of sleep.

What is this sleep that you speak of?

NotleyQue
12-08-2008, 07:04 PM
Its all about the production costs.
I would not be that low on Brisket, at a minimum do 80 bucks. (you should at least 3x your food cost, which should be about 80 bucks)
Unless you dont like money.

Bigmista
12-08-2008, 07:09 PM
Maybe we are due for a price increase in 2009...

C Rocke
12-08-2008, 07:09 PM
Need to make your phone number and contact info more prominent - Top of the page where folks will see it and remember. Re do the catering menu. Watch having your vending menu compared to your catering menu, plus it limits flexibility from event to event. My $.02

Bigmista
12-08-2008, 07:20 PM
Ok...I'll be re-working the catering menu tonight. Thanks folks!

yelonutz
12-08-2008, 07:25 PM
I don't see Moink Balls!!!

NUTZ

Countryhb
12-08-2008, 07:37 PM
And now from Mr. Spelling Checker...marshmallow, not marshmellow. Not a biggie, but it was enough to catch my eye...

Bigmista
12-08-2008, 07:42 PM
Really? Wow. I never even noticed.

Countryhb
12-08-2008, 08:01 PM
That's because I had no social life in high school and developed a keen eye for spelling while all you popular kids were out getting jiggy with it.

Now that I look back, I should have gone to work as a proof reader. Misspellings catch my eye everywhere I look.

NotleyQue
12-08-2008, 09:16 PM
Check out the big brain on Brad!

And now from Mr. Spelling Checker...marshmallow, not marshmellow. Not a biggie, but it was enough to catch my eye...

Michael in PA
12-08-2008, 10:03 PM
I just want to point out the big nipples in yer logo dude if for no other reason than to make trouble...

Seriously, best of luck to you.

big brother smoke
12-08-2008, 10:15 PM
Get a pro to do your website. It costs but, it will pay for itself by next summer!

Professor Salt
12-08-2008, 10:31 PM
As long as we're nitpicking on spelling, it's "an" upcoming episode of HGTV yadayada.

Bigmista
12-09-2008, 12:27 AM
Made some changes. Check it out now.

yelonutz
12-09-2008, 12:40 AM
On the home page, under pictures, you should have a photo of each item you are selling. Man I am glad you are too far away to take a swing at me! That will be the last suggestion!:-D

NUTZ

grillfella
12-09-2008, 01:55 AM
neil I like you added Tri-tip, do you use red oak? If you do let me know I have a friend who goes at least twice a month I could pick some up for you. I will double check the price PM me If you are interested. I have about 6 boxes left

KuyasKitchen
12-09-2008, 03:02 AM
OK, you asked for it:

1. Cut the music on the pictures page. While it's good music, it's rude. I was watching an episode of Torchwood on the other screen ... I like Herbie Hancock. Still ... grrrr.

2. Your catering menu is still way too long. Pages shouldn't scroll much. That one scrolls a long ways.

3. You are using ellipses on your pages. That's why people are seeing "?" rather than "...". I'd suggest getting away from those anyway.

4. Put your content info at the top where it belongs.

5. Rename your pictures. The popup windows say "rename this 036.jpg"

6. Speaking of pictures, post the phone numbers and names of the lovely waitresses in 034.jpg.

7. Your food looks amazing. Put the close-ups of it first in the list of pictures so that we can see that easily. It's not obvious. Honestly, I'd move away from that image viewing application and just toss up simple pictures. Make it easy for the average web viewer to come to your site and see stuff.

8. LABEL THE PICTURES ... Things like "BigMista's Brisket" ... many folks won't even know what it is. Help them understand what it is they want to buy from you.

9. PM me the recipe for that amazing looking mac-and-cheese.

10. Your competition pictures are great. In fact, that's how your other pictures really should be. Again, make it very easy to view.

11. Listen to the person who said hire a pro. It's really the best way to go. Just make sure you see a reasonable portfolio.

Dale P
12-09-2008, 06:25 AM
I caught the "prices incude tax"
You are getting there!

I see you fixed it.

KuyasKitchen
12-09-2008, 10:28 AM
As someone who is far, far away from great BBQ ... for the quality of the goods in your pictures, your prices look cheap to me!

Bigmista
12-09-2008, 11:56 AM
Unfortunately, in the area that we are starting in, we can't charge any more. You'd be surprised at how many people come by wanting "free samples". Not people that are interested in buying because I see them go to every booth asking for samples.

But right now it's the price we have to pay because to get in the bigger markets in the better areas, someone has to leave and then they choose someone who is making money in a smaller market to replace them.

The plus side is we get to practice for larger festivals and get organized so we are prepared for the big stuff.

Professor Salt
12-09-2008, 12:18 PM
Made some changes. Check it out now.

http://bigmista.com/images/HGTVtag.jpg

"an" upcoming episode still needs fixing.

Bigmista
12-09-2008, 12:36 PM
http://bigmista.com/images/HGTVtag.jpg

"an" upcoming episode still needs fixing.

That's an image. I'll work on it in Photoshop tonight. Really concentrating on the menus right now.

TysDad
12-11-2008, 12:00 PM
You'd be surprised at how many people come by wanting "free samples". Not people that are interested in buying because I see them go to every booth asking for samples.

The Costco free sample lunch effect?

Bigmista
12-11-2008, 12:09 PM
You got it. They even have the kids doing it.

Marsha
12-11-2008, 01:33 PM
You got it. They even have the kids doing it.

Yep, that part is right. At the Salinas Airshow a kid about 12 kept coming back for samples all the time. When I finally said no you already had plenty, he just grinned and told me he'd been on the other side of the airfield all day. I grinned back and said no again. :wink: