PDA

View Full Version : Catering an outdoor wedding and it might rain

Marsha
12-02-2008, 07:12 PM
We are catering an outdoor wedding on Saturday and the weatherman says it might rain. Ouch! The wedding is on a ranch and the backup plan is to have the ceremony and the dinner both in the carriage house. The carriage house is about 30 yards from the kitchen. I think I am in panic mode trying to think of all of the Plan B ideas I need to come up with if it does rain. Any sage words of advice from my fellow catering brethren out there? :eek:

backporchbbq
12-02-2008, 07:34 PM
I am not big into catering YET. I would guess you would have to have two work stations, one for outside and one for inside. Couldn't you load up all the food in your vehicle and drive it over if it rains? Might be possible, just thought I would throw it out there.

Good luck and pray for no rain.

lazybonesmoke1
12-02-2008, 08:00 PM
Do as much as you can ahead of time. Relax and don't let them see you panic. I'm sure everyone will freak out if it rains but keep cool and roll with the punches. Be extra organized.

big brother smoke
12-02-2008, 09:27 PM
Prepare for rain, make this plan A. If it does not rain plan B is easier to implement.

NotleyQue
12-02-2008, 09:30 PM
I agree with BBS.
Rent a canopy if need be.

Prepare for rain, make this plan A. If it does not rain plan B is easier to implement.

BBQ Grail
12-02-2008, 09:31 PM
Will there be banana bread?

Frank Sacco
12-02-2008, 09:52 PM
Plan A: Pig Umbrella Mod

Plan B: Run like hell to the carriage house!

Marsha
12-02-2008, 10:04 PM
That sounds like a great plan!

Do as much as you can ahead of time. Relax and don't let them see you panic. I'm sure everyone will freak out if it rains but keep cool and roll with the punches. Be extra organized.
Okay, I will take some deep breaths and keep smiling. :wink:

I am not big into catering YET. I would guess you would have to have two work stations, one for outside and one for inside. Couldn't you load up all the food in your vehicle and drive it over if it rains? Might be possible, just thought I would throw it out there.

Good luck and pray for no rain.
No, I am sure they would not let us drive it over, but I do have a big wagon! Two work stations... hmmmmmm.

Marsha
12-02-2008, 10:08 PM
I agree with BBS.
Rent a canopy if need be.
He does come up with those good ideas, eh? We are lucky that we have a large fold out awning on both sides of our BBQ trailer.

Will there be banana bread?
Well I do know the groom's cake is a red velvet cake shaped like a John Deere tractor :grin:

Plan A: Pig Umbrella Mod

Plan B: Run like hell to the carriage house!

Pig umbrella... Brilliant! Where can I buy one of those?

Marsha
12-02-2008, 10:13 PM
Plan A - I am now considering renting an extra cambro from the local rental place. If we have to carry the food over we need to keep more of it warm on the trip over. Better to have an extra than have cold food.

Plan B - The food will be served from buffet tables on the patio right outside the kitchen door.

CivilWarBBQ
12-03-2008, 12:14 AM
Many Rental places will allow you to hold items for you but only charge you a small fee if you give them reasonable notice that you won't need them. Check and see if yours will give you such a deal, then you can have the equipment you need guaranteed to be available but save some money if the weather clears and you don't need it.

jbrink01
12-03-2008, 09:31 AM
Treat the kitchen like it's a mile away. Set up the serving area, finish everything in the kitchen, Cambro it, then go set it out. We are catering 200/400 Friday night and it's gonna be a rain snow mix with no prep kitchen at the 400. We will show with everything ready to eat and in hot or cold storage. You can never have too many cambro's and coolers.

Divemaster
12-03-2008, 01:15 PM
Treat the kitchen like it's a mile away. Set up the serving area, finish everything in the kitchen, Cambro it, then go set it out. We are catering 200/400 Friday night and it's gonna be a rain snow mix with no prep kitchen at the 400. We will show with everything ready to eat and in hot or cold storage. You can never have too many cambro's and coolers.
Some of the best advice I've seen... Plan A for me is always the worst case... Every thing else is a modifcation to it...

How true!

tony76248
12-03-2008, 03:11 PM
One of the secrets to successful catering is being able to prepare for the unexpected, because you will get it every single time. You really should have a canopy.

I agree with Lazybones, don't let them see you sweat!

I actually look forward to the unexpected, makes things exciting.... plus I am a bit of a egotist and I love to overcome difficulty.

Marsha
12-03-2008, 07:04 PM
Many Rental places will allow you to hold items for you but only charge you a small fee if you give them reasonable notice that you won't need them. Check and see if yours will give you such a deal, then you can have the equipment you need guaranteed to be available but save some money if the weather clears and you don't need it.
I might give them a call and ask. Thanks!

Good advice, thank you!

[/COLOR]
Some of the best advice I've seen... Plan A for me is always the worst case... Every thing else is a modifcation to it...
How true!
I am so thankful we don't have to deal with snow. Thanks!

One of the secrets to successful catering is being able to prepare for the unexpected, because you will get it every single time. You really should have a canopy.

I agree with Lazybones, don't let them see you sweat!

I actually look forward to the unexpected, makes things exciting.... plus I am a bit of a egotist and I love to overcome difficulty.
We have awnings to work under, but then we do usually have a canopy in the back of the trailer, just in case.

Addendum to Plan A = NO SWEATING :smile:

Divemaster
12-05-2008, 03:08 PM
[/color]

I am so thankful we don't have to deal with snow. Thanks!

Trust me up here you have to prepare for even that... I've got a small gig next Thursday at the cigar shop and they are allowing me to sell package meat... Only problem is I don't have any in the freezer... Guess I'm going to have to cook up some of the 125 pounds of brisket tomorrow in the cold (21*) and snow. Then I get to do another cook on Thursday for the gig...

BBQ Grail
12-05-2008, 04:26 PM
Marsha! I predict that it is not going to rain!

Marsha
12-05-2008, 07:38 PM
Marsha! I predict that it is not going to rain!

Oh thank goodness, I do believe you are right! The weatherman is saying 68-degrees and sunny. Very nice!!!
http://www.weather.com/outlook/homeandgarden/garden/weekend/USCA0184?from=36hr_topnav_garden

On to Plan B :icon_cool

Bbq Bubba
12-05-2008, 07:40 PM
Marsha, all i can do is try to make you feel better......

Were vending tomorrow for hopefully 300 or so.

Temp is suppost to be 28* with 30 MPH gusts! :shock:

Good luck and hope you stay dry. :biggrin:

big brother smoke
12-05-2008, 07:41 PM
Good luck on your wedding, Marsha! Try and take a pic or two:rolleyes:

big brother smoke
12-05-2008, 07:42 PM

Me hopes you bring a heater :shock:

Marsha
12-05-2008, 07:53 PM

Ohmigosh, are you serving and/or cooking outdoors? I do know we are spoiled here by fairly good weather year round. Stay warm!

Good luck on your wedding, Marsha! Try and take a pic or two:rolleyes:
I am charging the camera as we speak!

jbrink01
12-06-2008, 04:54 PM
Temp at serving time last night was 30. Nice and breezy as well. Pretty sweet standing at the pit and prepping in the trailer! All worked out, and the chicken wings were my best ever.....40 pounds dusted with plowboys and smoked 2 hours then glazed with Blues Hog and Sticky Pig blend, smoked another hour.

big brother smoke
12-07-2008, 10:31 AM
Marsha you ok? :biggrin:

Marsha
12-07-2008, 11:01 AM
Thanks all.... I am alive, and the food was a huge success! It was a lovely, sunny 70-degrees in Carmel Valley yesterday. Ahhhhhh, sunshine!

Photos to come later!

This is where we worked yesterday. http://www.holmanranch.com/index.html

Marsha
12-07-2008, 11:03 AM
Temp at serving time last night was 30. Nice and breezy as well. Pretty sweet standing at the pit and prepping in the trailer! All worked out, and the chicken wings were my best ever.....40 pounds dusted with plowboys and smoked 2 hours then glazed with Blues Hog and Sticky Pig blend, smoked another hour.

Those sound like some delicious wings. They'd be perfect for watching football today. :wink:

Marsha
12-07-2008, 07:16 PM
First off, we have the best crew ever working with us. They are both hard-working and creative. I can't tell you now many times I have asked them to do something or make something and they do an even better job than I could hope for!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/Twisted1414/SanchezHueyWedding/BestCrewEver_Dec2008.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/Twisted1414/SanchezHueyWedding/Buffet4_Dec2008.jpg

Salads
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/Twisted1414/SanchezHueyWedding/Buffet8_Dec2008.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/Twisted1414/SanchezHueyWedding/VeggiePasta_Dec2008.jpg

More stuff
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/Twisted1414/SanchezHueyWedding/Buffet2_Dec2008.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/Twisted1414/SanchezHueyWedding/Buffet7_Dec2008.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/Twisted1414/SanchezHueyWedding/SalsaChips_Dec2008.jpg

Here is our friend Bill, grilling linguica on the back of the pickup and my hubby, Steve, in the foreground. Notice the folding chair... yeah, wishful thinking cuz nobody had time for sitting.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/Twisted1414/SanchezHueyWedding/BillSteve.jpg

We served smoked tri-tip beef, linguica, bbq beans, spring green salad, veggie pasta salad, garlic bread and Steve's fresh salsa and chips. Oh, and we did two packages of beef hot dogs for the small children and mostly adults ended up eating the hot dogs. LOL

Of course many had never tried smoked trip tip, and loved it. Also popular was the linguica we bought from a local meat market who makes great sausages.

Sadly, I never end up getting a photo of the meat itself because we do not put it in the chafing dishes until just as we are ready to serve and then I am too busy to take photos. :shock:

Our bbq trailer
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/Twisted1414/SanchezHueyWedding/bbqtrailer.jpg

Marsha
12-07-2008, 07:31 PM
Doh!

big brother smoke
12-07-2008, 09:20 PM
Absolutely beautiful tablescapes, Marsha! I love the vegetation under the chafers and enjoyed the angles you gave them!:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Marsha
12-07-2008, 09:36 PM
Absolutely beautiful tablescapes, Marsha! I love the vegetation under the chafers and enjoyed the angles you gave them!:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Why thank you very much, BBS! I looked at photos of our first catering job and realized how awful it looked with the chafing dishes all lined up straight and boring looking. The angled chafers look better, IMO. And I like the look with the ferns (leather leaf) around the table. Nice greenery goes with just about everything. Some tablescapes you want the fluffed linens, but this was a 'country' wedding so I thought the leather leaf was the way to go. It also helps that one of my crew works during the week for her family owned wholesale nursery and gives me a great deal on it. ;)

Bigmista
12-08-2008, 02:34 AM
Really a great job Marsha! Gotta make sure MrsMista sees this!

ThomEmery
12-08-2008, 07:55 AM
Great looking set up
LOL We have a couple of
weddings booked I guess
I will need to up grade our look
:)

Marsha
12-08-2008, 08:39 AM
Really a great job Marsha! Gotta make sure MrsMista sees this!
Thank you very much! As I have said before, that is one of the most fun parts of the job... decorating. :smile:

Great looking set up
LOL We have a couple of
weddings booked I guess
I will need to up grade our look
:)
It's kind of fun to be creative and just like with bbq comps it definitely helps to have an attractive presentation. 8-)

MrsMista
12-08-2008, 01:50 PM
Thank you Marsha for the pics. You, BBS and Funkaramque are great sources for so many things. I learn and improve everytime one of you post something.

Divemaster
12-08-2008, 03:37 PM

I couldn't agree more!!!

Thank you Marsha for the pics. You, BBS and Funkaramque are great sources for so many things. I learn and improve everytime one of you post something.

I'm constantly 'Up-Grading' my skill set just watching you guys!

Bbq Bubba
12-08-2008, 03:46 PM
Great job Marsha! I have learned so much in the details watching members like yourself!
Thanks for posting all you do! :biggrin:

Marsha
12-08-2008, 09:13 PM
Thank you very much. It means a lot coming from you!

I couldn't agree more!!!

I'm constantly 'Up-Grading' my skill set just watching you guys!
I learn something new about this stuff every day from looking for catering websites to review.

Great job Marsha! I have learned so much in the details watching members like yourself!
Thanks for posting all you do! :biggrin:
Thank you so much. It's a lot of fun to share!

tony76248
12-10-2008, 12:30 PM
Marsha,

Wonderful job on the presentation. My wife and I have been working on our presentation, I think it makes a huge difference. I agree with Bigmista from another post, I learn a lot when I visit this site. I take a lot in and try to utilize some of it in what I do.

Keep up the good work and thanks for sharing the pictures.