PDA

View Full Version : Boonhaugler II

KC_Bobby
11-22-2008, 08:39 PM
You may or may not have noticed, the original Boonhaugler was sold. So today I drove over to St. Louis to pick up Boonhaulger II.

2005 Haulmark 24' x 8.5'
Duo-Thermo A/C with heat
4 breaker box
torflex axles
6'7" interior
4' wide side door - wide enough for everything, so the rear ramp wouldn't have to be used

Decent shape and was very pleased with the way it followed my truck on the way home even with today's wind and traffic on I-70, but it's a project to make it what we want. The first few things on the list are:
1) repaint the walls
2) paint/cover the floor
3) insulate the ceiling

Tomorrow is measuring day (inside of trailer and all current eq to so we can start working on how to layout everything for a prep/finishing kitchen and sleeping accomodations.

If anyone has a 16-20' awning for sale, let me know.

The Pickled Pig
11-22-2008, 09:30 PM
Very nice!

I feel another case of trailer envy coming on now.

Bbq Bubba
11-22-2008, 09:35 PM
Nice size trailer!

Lookin very forward to seeing the inside come together! :cool:

stan
11-22-2008, 09:49 PM
Bobby,

Nice looking trailer! Good luck with the overhaul.

Smokin' Joe
11-22-2008, 09:50 PM
Congrats on the new rig Bobby...looks like a fun project

KC_Bobby
11-22-2008, 09:53 PM
Very nice!

I feel another case of trailer envy coming on now.

It's a great time to buy - if the buyer is comfortable about continued income.

Bobby,

Nice looking trailer! Good luck with the overhaul.

Maybe I can get BBQTV to come out and Pimp my Q'itchen.
(possible new trailer name in there)

Plowboy
11-22-2008, 10:31 PM
That's a great size. The team All Slabbed Up has one like that.

Rookie'48
11-23-2008, 12:30 AM
Well, there go the 20' x 20' spaces, now you can pay, I mean play, with the big boys :rolleyes:. Nice rig, Bob, and Don won't hit his head in there! :biggrin:

Plowboy
11-23-2008, 08:11 AM
Well, there go the 20' x 20' spaces, now you can pay, I mean play, with the big boys :rolleyes:. Nice rig, Bob, and Don won't hit his head in there! :biggrin:

LOL. That was good, Dave.

BBQ_Mayor
11-23-2008, 08:24 AM
nice rig guys.

watertowerbbq
11-23-2008, 04:04 PM
Bobby / Don,

Wow! That looks awesome! Can't wait to see it when you are finished. Soon you be thinking out the old days when you had to sleep and cook under the stars. :-D

Now you've got a rig deserving of a team with a top 5 at the Royal! Congratulations and I do have trailer envy.

ModelMaker
11-23-2008, 04:14 PM
Dudes,
You all are gonna look sooo professional!!!!!!
ModelMaker

KC_Bobby
11-23-2008, 05:49 PM
Haaaaa, while I appreciate the compliments ... it's a real plain jane trailer. Here's some pics I took of the inside this afternoon. What you see in there was stuff that was getting in my way in the garage. Basically, it's just some trailer stuff put in there for now so I can walk through my garage.

Plowboy
11-23-2008, 06:04 PM
Looks pretty nice.

txschutte
11-23-2008, 06:25 PM
Nice trailer. What do expect your hauling weight to be when loaded? Is a 3/4 ton truck enough for such a large rig?

KC_Bobby
11-23-2008, 06:38 PM
Oh yeah - easy. Curb weight of the trailer is about 3200 and it's max weight is 7000. My truck is rated to tow 8200.

Based on what our equipment totalled last year (about 1,800 lbs), I'm going to guess the weight of the trailer loaded ready to go to a comp will be around 5800-6200 since we want to add bunks, cabinets, a sink (with a make shift water system for right now - coleman instant water heater) and hopefully an awning. But at the same time, we'll be able to leave pop ups and/or carports, cots and various other things at home with the larger trailer.

buttrubbersbbq
11-24-2008, 08:08 AM
sounds like fun project, dang it now i want one

Chris Nickelson
11-24-2008, 12:03 PM
lookin' good!

Just Pulin' Pork
11-24-2008, 03:16 PM
Bobby that is sweat! Your BBQ Competition life has officially changed! I am jealous!

DMDon
11-24-2008, 10:23 PM

HA HA, I did manage to bash my head on the inside of the other trailer on more than one occasion.

KC_Bobby
11-25-2008, 09:39 PM
Bet ya $50 ya find a way to bash your head your first time in this one too.

Rookie'48
11-25-2008, 11:34 PM
HA HA, I did manage to bash my head on the inside of the other trailer on more than one occasion.

Bet ya $50 ya find a way to bash your head your first time in this one too.

Even if Bob has to mount a cabinet at a special height? :rolleyes:

KC_Bobby
11-26-2008, 08:09 AM
No, the side door is pretty low - maybe 5'8". I'll be looking for a school bus pad to put up there. And the rear ramp door is only 6'2"

KC_Bobby
01-08-2009, 11:14 PM
That tow rig thread got me fired up!

So far we've purchased the following materials to transform this trailer into the Boondoggle Q'chen:
1 - 5' stainless steel prep table
1 - 6' stainless steel prep table
1 - 2 bay commercial stainless sink
2 - aluminum overhead office cubical shelfs (with locking fronts)
2 - aluminum double wide file cabinets (to fit under prep tables)
600 sq feet of white FRP material for ceiling and walls

Still need to buy some insulation to put between the roof and ceiling FRP and we're still debating on flooring choices. Hoping for a fair weather February so work can begin in time to have it ready to use for Pleasant Hill probably won't have it completed by then, but it should be functional.

Buster Dog BBQ
01-09-2009, 07:00 AM
Nice Bobby. Should be fun to customize it knowing what you know now vs when you had your original trailer. Just make sure you have a good spot for the red thermopen.

Buster Dog BBQ
01-09-2009, 07:02 AM
If anyone has a 16-20' awning for sale, let me know.
I would get an awning like Plowboys. Their's is awesome.

smokinit
01-09-2009, 07:05 AM

So far we've purchased the following materials to transform this trailer into the Boondoggle Q'chen:

Still need to buy some insulation to put between the roof and ceiling FRP and we're still debating on flooring choices. Hoping for a fair weather February so work can begin in time to have it ready to use for Pleasant Hill probably won't have it completed by then, but it should be functional.
Start looking for restaurant closing auctions for you goodies should be able to get most of that stuff pretty cheap. Heat and AC no more roughing it. Looks great

Plowboy
01-09-2009, 08:09 AM
Don't buy a used awning!!!! You will regret it. They aren't that expensive. The couple hundred dollars you save won't be worth it. Trust me.

Plowboy
01-09-2009, 08:11 AM
Go with the black VTC (SP?) tiles from Home Depot. That's what I have in mine. Black hides the dirt, they are very durable, and reasonable. Hell, even Roo-B-Q got the same thing in his after seeing my floor... Tom wouldn't listen to me if his life was on the line. (Now I know how Char must feel.)

The Giggler
01-09-2009, 09:47 AM

You may want to check out www.pitproducts.com (http://www.pitproducts.com) for cabinetry. I bought an over/under combo for my comp trailer. Pricing was ultra competitive and the quality is outstanding. This company manufacturer's polished aluminum cabinetry for race trailers. I wouldn't buy anything else.

Congrats on the new addition. Looking forward to seeing some progress pictures.

KC_Bobby
01-09-2009, 12:22 PM
Go with the black VTC (SP?) tiles from Home Depot. That's what I have in mine. Black hides the dirt, they are very durable, and reasonable.

Is that easy to cut with a utility knife?

I just drove by your work to get a sub and it looks like you got some sort of stainless toy in there

smokinit
01-09-2009, 02:15 PM
You may want to check out www.pitproducts.com (http://www.pitproducts.com) for cabinetry. I bought an over/under combo for my comp trailer. Pricing was ultra competitive and the quality is outstanding. This company manufacturer's polished aluminum cabinetry for race trailers. I wouldn't buy anything else.

Congrats on the new addition. Looking forward to seeing some progress pictures.

Nice I have been looking for stuff like that for extra light shelves in my truck

KC_Bobby
01-19-2009, 09:33 PM
Decided to do a little work today since I had the day off and the weather wasn't too bad, in fact it was very comfortable inside the trailer - ran the heat for about a half hour before starting.

So I picked up some 3/4 insulation sheets and cut them to fit between the framing tubes. Although most of it fits pretty snug, I used powergrab to tack it up. I still need to go back and fit some small pieces along the edges, then I'll add the FRP material as the finished roof and walls.

DMDon
01-20-2009, 12:39 AM
looks great, keep it up

Solidkick
01-20-2009, 12:20 PM
Looking forward to seeing it completed and having a brew at the new Boonedoggle party central!

Plowboy
01-20-2009, 01:24 PM
That's simply Boondiggity!

BBQ_Mayor
01-20-2009, 02:18 PM
Is that easy to cut with a utility knife?

I just drove by your work to get a sub and it looks like you got some sort of stainless toy in there

I have a cutter I can loan ya. Otherwise yea, with a little work you can cut with a knife. Use a propane torch to heat up the back, that helps too. Check your local rental stores, they may have a VCT tile cutter.

moocow
01-20-2009, 09:13 PM
Forget the tile, I say you go with green astro turf for that southern front porch atmosphere =)

watertowerbbq
01-20-2009, 10:00 PM
looks great, keep it up

nothing better than a supportive brother :-D

DMDon
01-20-2009, 10:03 PM
Forget the tile, I say you go with green astro turf for that southern front porch atmosphere =)

Now thats an idea. Years ago when Iowa State went from turf to grass, I got a couple 15x15 pieces of the turf. The 20 and 30 yard lines with numbers on them. I had them in my basement. We moved to a house with a finished basement so I sold them. I know the one guy still has the one he bought from me. I could see if he is wiling to sell it back.

KC_Bobby
01-28-2009, 11:14 PM
Scored a 3 bay sink off craigslist today, so now I have this 2 bay for sale. Brethren ... interested? Offer away!

moocow
01-28-2009, 11:43 PM
If I had a trailer I would buy it. You better quit screwing around and get that sucker done!!

KC_Bobby
01-28-2009, 11:53 PM
I need some warm weather, gets cold out there. I'm waiting on a 30 amp extension cord I bought off ebay so I can crank some heat.

Saturday is forecasted to be nice, I hope to run some electrical wiring and maybe even start hanging some FRP on the ceiling if I can get a hand from my neighbor.

moocow
02-02-2009, 11:40 AM
Any updates?

KC_Bobby
02-02-2009, 01:11 PM
No pics, so it didn't happen.

I got the additional electrical lines run and about half of the ceiling put up over the weekend.

Gonna empty the trailer out this week, too much stuff in there to work around. But I put it in there because I wanted to park my car in the garage.

Just Pulin' Pork
02-02-2009, 01:23 PM
Bob where do you park that trailer?

starkey0417
02-02-2009, 06:13 PM
trailer envy is right. nice rig.

KC_Bobby
02-02-2009, 09:39 PM
Bob where do you park that trailer?

The end of the driveway - duhhhh. It won't fit in the garage. :mrgreen:

My drive is in a cul de sac, and of the other 5 houses in it I asked 3 of them and they don't care. And I can't see the other 2 saying a word. But I don't think LS has a city ordinance about parking items in the driveway or they don't enforce it. A few subdivisions over, one house has a large camper and cargo in the driveway and it never gets moved. And that house is right off a major road in town - hard to miss.

Just Pulin' Pork
02-02-2009, 10:18 PM
The end of the driveway - duhhhh. It won't fit in the garage. :mrgreen:

My drive is in a cul de sac, and of the other 5 houses in it I asked 3 of them and they don't care. And I can't see the other 2 saying a word. But I don't think LS has a city ordinance about parking items in the driveway or they don't enforce it. A few subdivisions over, one house has a large camper and cargo in the driveway and it never gets moved. And that house is right off a major road in town - hard to miss.

Man that must be nice. In OP they would on your ARSE about that. Please keep posting pics of your progress. Can't wait to see it in person.

ModelMaker
02-03-2009, 11:38 AM
Man,that must suck havin somebody tell ya what you can do in your own yard.
ModelMaker

Just Pulin' Pork
02-03-2009, 12:15 PM
Man,that must suck havin somebody tell ya what you can do in your own yard.
ModelMaker

Yes it does!

KC_Bobby
02-09-2009, 01:18 PM
Just a little update - Saturday was a GREAT day to work on this:
As you can see the ceiling is going up and the walls are insulated - well, mostly - I ran out of sheets, need about 3 more to finish the walls. I'll have that done by tomorrow night.

Then finish the ceiling if I can recruit my neighbor and onto the floor before finishing the walls.

moocow
02-09-2009, 02:47 PM
Looking Good!

KC_Bobby
02-16-2009, 08:14 PM
I'd like to thank George, John, Thomas, Abe, Theodore, Franklin, Harry and the rest of the Presidents for the extra day off this weekend. My neighbor helped me finish putting the ceiling up (still needs trim), then I got the lights back up (and they even work) and today I got a coat of primer on the floor and one coat of an oil based paint. I hope to get another coat on Wednesday evening.

Proof that I did more then just drink beer over the weekend:

KC_Bobby
02-16-2009, 08:19 PM
Don is coming down from Des Moines next weekend and the goal is to get the walls done and get the sink and tables into place - hopefully a little more. Might depend on how much fun we have at Winterfest.

watertowerbbq
02-16-2009, 08:39 PM
Bobby,

The rig is looking good. Can't wait to see the pictures after you and Don get some of the fixtures installed. Good luck next weekend!

Irrad8
02-16-2009, 08:56 PM
Lookin good. I wish I could find a 16' trailer to spend my time and money on.

KC_Bobby
02-16-2009, 09:04 PM
Brian,
Like this: http://kansascity.craigslist.org/for/1037679475.html

Irrad8
02-16-2009, 09:19 PM
Thanks. I'll give em a call

The Pickled Pig
02-16-2009, 09:45 PM
Where exactly is my bunk going?

moocow
02-16-2009, 10:57 PM
Finally some progress!!! Looks cool.

Butt-A-Bing!
02-17-2009, 08:40 AM
Looking good! Hey whats the process for the ceiling? I have a smaller version, and want to finish ceiling.

KC_Bobby
02-17-2009, 09:04 AM
Where exactly is my bunk going?

We're going to run some bunks across the front. It's just over 8' wide on the interior so it's plenty wide.

Looking good! Hey whats the process for the ceiling? I have a smaller version, and want to finish ceiling.

I'm sure it can be done many ways, here's what I did (with the help of my neighbor).
1) insulated the ceiling with 3/4" foamboard
2) ran siding trim boards every 2' all the way down and tap screwed them into the roof support beams (If I were to do it again, I'd put them up at 16")
3) chalked line the center all the way down the center support
4) made a rig to slide the FRP into down the center so 2 people would be able to hold and attach without it moving
5) screwed the FRP into the siding trim boards on 16" center

If you look at the pics close, you will see a bit of a sag on the ends. I purchased some laminate trim that will cover the ends and I hope that it gives the ceiling a nice clean oval appearance - I think it will.

In case anyone is wondering why we used the siding trim boards as supports ... well, because my neighbor had some that he didn't need. And they shouldn't warp in the heat and humidity that could get trapped in the trailer sitting all summer.

KC_Bobby
02-22-2009, 07:33 PM
Lotta progress this past weekend. The interior shell is nearly complete, just a few odds and ends left. Then the stainless tables and sink will go in and it will start looking like a kitchen.

Buster Dog BBQ
02-22-2009, 08:18 PM
Looking pretty good Bobby.

Plowboy
02-22-2009, 08:36 PM
Wow, what a transformation! Good work, boys!

watertowerbbq
02-22-2009, 08:56 PM
It looks awesome! Great job! I can't wait to see the finished product. :-D

Irrad8
02-22-2009, 09:03 PM
Looking great!

Just Pulin' Pork
02-22-2009, 09:46 PM
Bob that looks sweet. Sorry for not saying hi last night at the kookers kare gig I was to busy eating and drinking and talking. Any chance you are doing North KC?

Jon

KC_Bobby
02-22-2009, 10:11 PM
Pleasant Hill will be it's maiden voyage. I saw ya there when I was eating and was going to say hi, but didn't see ya when I got up.

moocow
02-23-2009, 11:55 AM
Looks like a mobile operating room! (for cows,chickens and pigs)

Smokin' Joe
02-23-2009, 12:22 PM
Wow...looking great!

KC_Bobby
02-23-2009, 12:57 PM
Before and now: (I just wanted to see these two pics together)

thillin
02-23-2009, 01:27 PM
Looking good. I need to insulate the roof on my 6x10 trailer or the TX summer might kill me. If I could only find a deal on an AC first.

Big George's BBQ
02-23-2009, 01:31 PM
Very nice. Can not wait to see the finished product

Irrad8
02-28-2009, 08:11 PM
Did you work on that thing in the snow this weekend?

KC_Bobby
03-01-2009, 12:09 PM
I picked up a used fresh water tank that I think I will be using for gray water. It should fit right under the sink.

Then I went to HD to get some wood to build a base to raise the tables and sink. Sat on a table in my garage and get pissed off because I know what I had in my head wasn't going to work worth a damn. After sitting their staring at the other table for about 20 minutes, I got the idea of just raising them using the PVC table technique. So I went back to HD to get some condunt. Came home and the chit didn't fit. Got pissed off some more and decided not to do chit.

Went back to HD this morning with a leg off one of the tables and found a bar that would go across the top of a chain link fence that fits decent - not perfect, but it will work with 2 bolts perpendicular to each other in each leg extension.

So now I'm waiting for the snow to melt because I can hardly turn around in my garage with all the trailer crap in there (plus some extra stuff to sell). And the MU/KU game starts in an hour.

This weather is holding me back and that's really what was pissing me off.

Irrad8
03-01-2009, 12:22 PM
Sounds like good day to say "fark it" and drink lots of adult beverages.

The Pickled Pig
03-01-2009, 12:31 PM
So now I'm waiting for the snow to melt because I can hardly turn around in my garage with all the trailer crap in there (plus some extra stuff to sell). And the MU/KU game starts in an hour.

This weather is holding me back and that's really what was pissing me off.

I think what's really got your goat is knowing that the Jayhawks are going to win.:shock:

smoke-n-my-i's
03-01-2009, 05:47 PM
Looking good.... I have been looking at my trailer and was contemplating on insulating the ceiling and wondering where to start... thanks for the pics and hints... should be simple now.

Can't wait until we see the completed pics with the winning trophy sitting on the shelf... :-o

KC_Bobby
03-01-2009, 06:07 PM
Well, I did get the leg extensions under the sink this afternoon and it was even stable ... until I slide the table forward and one of the legs broke off - it busted the tack weld.

Needless to say, this weekend was worthless. Bad weather, bad game and now I have a broken sink laying in my garage and both vehicles are now out in the driveway.

moocow
03-01-2009, 09:03 PM
I can fix that leg up if you need me to!

KC_Bobby
03-02-2009, 11:19 AM
Shane,
thanks for the offer. My neighbor welds so I hope he's able to do it some evening this week. But if he can't, I'll take you up on it. Don might be coming back down to help me get some work done on Friday, so if he comes I need to have that done before he gets here.

moocow
03-02-2009, 12:51 PM
Looks like you should have a good weekend. (weather wise anyway) Try not to break anything else!

KC_Bobby
03-02-2009, 09:44 PM
My neighbor said he's able to weld it up, just waiting for the warm up on Wednesday.

So who wants to come over Saturday for a few beers and help me raise the tables to 30" and put them in the trailer? Easy task, but difficult to carry 6' long tables and sink by myself.

Irrad8
03-02-2009, 09:51 PM
If I could get over there I would help, but hopefully I'll be working on mine. I lived there for a little over a year about 6 years ago, just south of 50 between Todd George and Ho Depot.

KC_Bobby
03-02-2009, 10:21 PM
Well, too bad for me you still don't live there. I live w/in walking distance of the McD's at that intersection.

KC_Bobby
03-04-2009, 08:33 PM
Temp is back above freezing and it's back to work ... well, got the sink fixed - then got it and a table into the trailer so I can actually walk through the garage.

watertowerbbq
03-04-2009, 09:05 PM
looking great bob. you should be really proud of all that work.

Bbq Bubba
03-04-2009, 09:05 PM
It's coming together nicely!

Rookie'48
03-04-2009, 09:44 PM
You sure are doing a nice job there, Bob. I can't wait to see it at PH.

thillin
03-04-2009, 09:59 PM
looking good.

stan
03-05-2009, 07:17 AM
The trailer is looking great! Can't wait to see it at PH!!

paydabill
03-05-2009, 07:21 AM
Hey - on your electrical - is that wiremold on top and then bell boxes? Or is all your electricity ran through the ceiling?

KC_Bobby
03-05-2009, 09:00 AM
The electical cords (10/3) are run through the trailer frame channeling up top where the ceiling and walls come together. The trim board up there is PVC fascia board with a hole drilled through it for wire to get to the box. Unfortunately, we already drilled the holes for the boxes before realizing a little more trim was needed to cover a gab between the ceiling FRP and wall FRP. We used plastic quarter round. I still need to caulk that to keep any moisture out of that area. Had we known the quarter round was needed, we would have dropped the boxes another 1/4" so the quarter round wouldn't have to have been cut to fit.

In fact, all of the walls and ceiling materials are non-wood materials (FRP, PVC, vinyl, plastic) so I could go in the trailer with a hose and spray it out if ever needed (yeah, I'll turn the breaker box off first). And I'm using GE kitchen and bath silicone caulking with BioSeal which is mold and mildow resistant.

moocow
03-05-2009, 10:05 AM
Hey Bobby, looks good. Was there a reason for running 10/3 for your wires to your outlets or is that just your main feed.

KC_Bobby
03-05-2009, 10:20 AM
An electrician told me the thicker the better (better conductor/less loss of power through the line - or something like that) and for an extra $5 over 12/3 I figured better to overkill. Plus, that's what the existing wire was inside the trailer, so I just matched it.

VGuilford
03-05-2009, 11:52 AM
So I take it you don't need help Sat.?

KC_Bobby
03-05-2009, 01:22 PM
I still have one table to put in. I should be able to manage it myself, it's not as heavy as the sink or other prep table. But it's going to take a little thinking as it's going to go down the side in the very rear of the trailer ... and my trailer has a 4" dovetail. So the legs on one end of the table need to be 3.?? inches longer then the legs on the other side so it's level. I'll devise something to hold it up at level so I can get proper measurements for the extensions.

But other than that, it should be fairly easy work.

So if that was an offer, I think I'm capable. But if you want to lend a hand and drink a few beers, come on by. I have an extra sink and some tables that I need to sell.

KC_Bobby
03-05-2009, 11:03 PM
All the electric is hooked up and all the outlets even work! Huge ... considering I get along with current like an Iowa CBJ and vinegar.

BTW, I was wrong about the wiring. It has 12/3. I would edit those posts ... but I can't.

KC_Bobby
03-15-2009, 10:22 PM
A few more things in place - some cabinets and racks are up, bunk/shelf is in and opposite side count and cabinets are painted and ready to install. Pardon the mess, we were building a door frame today for a screen door inside the side cargo door.

Fridge is also painted black

moocow
03-16-2009, 09:56 AM
Where do you park that thing? I want to steal it. PS Could you leave your truck hooked up to it?

BBQ Bandit
03-16-2009, 06:58 PM
That set-up is bigger than my gantry!!

Big George's BBQ
03-18-2009, 04:23 PM
That is really nice. You are doing a really good job on it

KC_Bobby
03-18-2009, 10:00 PM
Thanks for the compliments!

Did a little more work tonight, then picked up tools and scraps throughout tonight. I think I can get it done this weekend so next weekend I can do a practice cook before P-Hill.

Just Pulin' Pork
03-18-2009, 10:32 PM
Bob that's is looking sweet! Nice job. Please don't tell me that microwave is to warm up your turn in meat before putting it in the box :)

KC_Bobby
03-22-2009, 09:54 PM
'bout done ... I don't think the final touches will be noticable by pic ... so unless something major changes, I guess I'll consider these the final pics.

I did nuke the bunk idea because I was hitting my head on the ceiling sitting there w/o a mattress, so I cut it down and added a fold down bed near the back. Just have to put that mattress ontop of the front one while it's folded up.

Plowboy
03-22-2009, 10:19 PM
Wow, I want a new trailer.

Just Pulin' Pork
03-22-2009, 10:25 PM
Bob you going to get sattelite and a high definition 52" flat panel for that bad boy? :)

DMDon
03-22-2009, 10:25 PM
Bob,

Thats pretty farkin sweet. I can't wait for Pleasant Hill to use it. Sure wlll beat loading and unloading the old trailer at each contest. I got goosebumps looking at the finsihed photos compared to when you bought it. You sure done good.

KC_Bobby
03-22-2009, 10:35 PM
Bob you going to get sattelite and a high definition 52" flat panel for that bad boy? :)

This afternoon, my neighbor asked me where the plasma was too. I'll have to find a new budget for that - especially since I don't have one in my house.

Just Pulin' Pork
03-22-2009, 11:17 PM
This afternoon, my neighbor asked me where the plasma was too. I'll have to find a new budget for that - especially since I don't have one in my house.

Win Plesant Hill and its paid for :) Can't wait to see the finished product in person! Won't be competing but will be out there volunteering!

Brewmaster
03-22-2009, 11:28 PM
Looking very nice. Looks like you put a lot of work into this thing. I love that screen door. I keep seeing stuff I need to add in my trailer (paper towel holder). I guess after one contest I will have a real good idea what I forgot.

Cheers,
Nate

Jeff_in_KC
03-23-2009, 08:30 AM
Very nice work, Bob! Looking forward to seeing it in person!

KC_Bobby
03-23-2009, 08:35 AM
We added the screen door so we wouldn't be closed off to the rest of the world while working inside. The trailer doesn't have any windows, so if the weather is nice, we can keep the outside door open. We also added plexiglass to the bottom half of the screen so my dog could come to comps if he wants. (I see the plexi still has a UPC code sticker on it.)

Each work station has a paper towel rack. Now we need to get some of the glove box holders.

I wish I would have put an outlet above the microwave. It was planned, the extra wiring is there, but I didn't notice I missed the outlet until after the trim and caulk were done. Nothing a surge protector can't fix.

Balls Casten
03-23-2009, 09:15 AM
Might want to look into the roll up screens they have for the rear door. We don’t use ours all the time but they are nice when the bugs are bad.

ModelMaker
03-23-2009, 10:11 AM
Uh Bob, where do you plan to put the cookers?
ModelMaker

KC_Bobby
03-23-2009, 11:31 AM
ModelMaker

Outside under the EZ up.
During transport one will fit up against the fold up bed and the other down the center. Plenty of room., I just need to put in the tie down brackets.

StrikeEagle
03-23-2009, 11:34 AM

I'm going to presume that the cookers will go in the space provided by folding up the rear bunk. If you move those rubber mats up there's a ton of unrestricted room. Plus, I see a few tie down rings built into the floor in that same area.

As a request, it would be interesting to see the look of the trailer loaded up with cookers. canopies etc. Perhaps when you're done packing up, and ready to head out to PH, you can pop off a couple of quick snaps before hitting the road.

One thing I wanted to ask about is weight distribution. It looks like you've got most of your heavy stuff loading on the right side of the trailer. With the fridge and cookers all biased to that side, I was wondering if you've done a road test to see how 'she' tracks when loaded up. While I realize that the loading will change greatly once that 36 gallon gray-water tank is filled, I'm just curious how it's working out in practice. Maybe it's just too many years of worrying about weight balance on my part. After all, it's not like you're going to be flying this thing. ;-)

KC_Bobby
03-23-2009, 01:34 PM
Right now, I'd guess the drivers side is heavier then the pass side. I think those stainless tables and sink are heavier then the refridge and cabinets - even when loaded. My BWS Competitor (375 lbs) will fit against the wall where the fold up bed is, the Country Whole Hog (300+ lbs) can fit down the center to one side or the other if we find that helps with load distribution.

Fortunately the first trip is only about 15 miles away, so I'll be able to see how she acts without having to fight it over a long haul. Like you mentioned, the trailer will have plenty of different spaces we can shove coolers, charcoal, etc to shift weight distribution if needed.

I'm just damn excited that we only need to unload 2 smokers, a table and an EZ up to be set up and start prepping. Our first year we used a 6x10 utility trailer and had everything in Rubbermaid totes. It would take us over an hour just to unload and get the two EZ up up - then set up before prep. I don't think we were ever packed to go before awards started. Then last year with the 6x12 enclosed we usually got done just as awards would start. I imagine it will still take longer I expect with this trailer too, because we'll want to have it as clean as possible before loading it up.

Solidkick
03-23-2009, 05:59 PM
Damn nice job brother!

Irrad8
03-23-2009, 07:21 PM
Looks Great! I'll raise a glass in your honor.

stan
03-23-2009, 08:22 PM
Beers at the Boonhaugler II in Pleasant Hill then?

watertowerbbq
03-23-2009, 09:06 PM
Bobby / Don,

That is a real nice setup! Great job on all the hard work. It looks great! :-D:-D

And I have a bad case of TE (trailer envy)...........................:-D

Smokin' Joe
03-29-2009, 03:40 PM
Each work station has a paper towel rack. Now we need to get some of the glove box holders.

Looking very good Bob...where did you find the paper towel racks? I would like a couple for mine and haven't been able to find that style.
Thanks!

Big George's BBQ
03-30-2009, 11:41 AM
WOW That is really nice. Congrats

KC_Bobby
03-30-2009, 01:14 PM
Looking very good Bob...where did you find the paper towel racks? I would like a couple for mine and haven't been able to find that style.
Thanks!

I ran into them at an outlet store and only bought 4 for like a $1 each. I wish I would have purchased a few cases of them.

KC_Bobby
11-07-2009, 10:57 AM
Just purchased a great Craigslist find. Brand new, never used 20' Dometic 8500 awning - burgundy and white. I'd take a picture, but it's still in the cardboard tube - came with arms and hardware too. Just needs the rail and the local RV shop said they have them in stock.

Waiting until late winter before I have it installed. I have a few other things I think we're going to have an RV shop do on the trailer so it's done right.

Look for more purchase announcements soon - hopefully another by Monday night!

PigBoy
11-07-2009, 05:03 PM
You won't regret it. I wouldn't give mine up for anything.

SmokeInDaEye
11-07-2009, 07:24 PM
Congrats, guys! That's a sweet looking rig! Where's the couch go?

Jorge
11-07-2009, 07:37 PM
You won't regret it. I wouldn't give mine up for anything.

I'm packing a helmet for the Pork Expo this year!:oops:

ThomEmery
11-07-2009, 09:10 PM
Bobby NICE Rig

KC_Bobby
11-09-2009, 08:58 PM
Scored again - I picked up another craigslist purchase tonight.

True Refrigerator - model TWT-67

thenewguy
11-09-2009, 09:35 PM
Your'e gonna need another axle on that thing!

watertowerbbq
11-09-2009, 09:49 PM
Looking good guys!

KC_Bobby
07-07-2010, 11:04 PM
For sale!
We've decided to go the toyhauler route.

In reality, it's a nice trailer but over my tow weight limit with all the stainless and heavy smokers we have, so we'll try to sell as another type of rig - would be great for bike or quad enthusiasts.

We will be having a Q'chen liquidation sale. I'll get something up in the For Sale section soon.

3 bay sink
prep tables
might be a few odds and ends
PM me if interested

Rookie'48
07-07-2010, 11:32 PM
Does this mean that you don't need the Q'chen hauled to Tennessee this fall :sad: ?

KC_Bobby
07-08-2010, 07:59 AM
Well Dave, we'll see.

BTW, where have you been? I think we just did two IA comps that you didn't judge - either that or you didn't show your face.

Smokin' Joe
07-08-2010, 09:47 AM
Have I got a deal for you:loco:

Jorge
07-08-2010, 11:05 AM
Wouldn't it be easier to buy a bigger truck? I'd think you'd want a 3/4 ton diesel to pull a toy hauler as well....not to rain on any potential sale of a very nice 5th wheel in Iowa!:redface::becky:

KC_Bobby
07-08-2010, 11:28 AM
For those of you who have already contacted me about what were selling it as, click this link http://bandera-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=859906&postcount=64

We're looking to sell it pretty much like that (not including sink) plus bunk frames, screen door, some shelving and cabinets. We're still figuring out what our investment is to get it to this level interior to determine our asking price.

Here's what it includes:
2005 Haulmark Thrifty Cargo Trailer
Width – 8.5’ (102”)
Cargo Box Length – 24’
Overall Length – about 27½' with tongue
Interior Height – about 6½' finished
Tires – 225/75R15 load range D - installed September 2009 (about 1,200 miles on them)
Axles – tandem torflex - rated for 3500 lbs each - EZ lube hubs
Brakes – all 4 wheels, new brakes spring 2010 (barrings packed too)
Electrical – 30 amp service with 4 breaker box – 7 outlets inside, 1 outside
A/C – Duo-Therm 13,500 BTU with heat strip
Awning – 20’ Domatic brand new this year
Roof Vent – 1
Side Door – 4' wide on passenger side (with custom made screen door), RV step
Rear Ramp - 95" wide, 72" long with 40'’ long extension
Insulated – roof and sides with ¾” pink sheets
Floor – ¾” plywood floor with gray oil base paint
Interior walls – ½” plywood finished with FRP
Interior ceiling – finished with FRP
Lighting – two 4’ florescent lights
Bedding – frames for 2 twins, stationary across the front and a fold up near the rear
Shelving – 14’ of wire rack along one side about 18” below ceiling level
Clean title

Rookie'48
07-08-2010, 11:50 AM
I think we just did two IA comps that you didn't judge - either that or you didn't show your face.

I've been kinda busy this summer, Bob. On the weekend of Valley Junction I was cooking for the family get-together & on the Marshalltown weekend I cooked for a 250 to 300 person customer appreciation day (that one paid :becky:). I am doing the W'loo / La Porte and Mason City comps (judging & camping at both).

moocow
07-08-2010, 12:39 PM
When will we get to see this new beast in action?

Buster Dog BBQ
07-08-2010, 12:43 PM
Wouldn't it be easier to buy a bigger truck? I'd think you'd want a 3/4 ton diesel to pull a toy hauler as well....not to rain on any potential sale of a very nice 5th wheel in Iowa!:redface::becky:
Agreed. Unless you get a small toy hauler. But if you put everything it in like you did the other trailer you will have weight issues again. While my old Titan could tow my trailer it just couldn't do in on the highway like my Dodge does now.

KC_Bobby
07-08-2010, 01:01 PM
Small is relative. We bought a 22' foot toy hauler that's half ton towable without bbq gear but has a high enough GVWR for our needs plus. And we're not putting everything back in it. We had that 3 bay sink and we still used bus tubs in it as the bays were huge, so the sink was just a lot of extra weight. We don't need 3 stainless tables (45 sq feet) either.

Team Overkill is trying to lighten the load - we're going green. Instead of burning coals, we're gonna burn hemp and not even put any meat in the cooker at all - maybe brownies. :twisted: (Cheech and Chong mod) Now who wants a spot beside us? :biggrin1:

ModelMaker
07-08-2010, 01:14 PM
I'm in man.....
Ed

pat
07-08-2010, 02:03 PM
I love hemp! Oh wait...