PDA

View Full Version : Competition trailer size

Smokin' Joe
10-28-2008, 08:30 AM
I've been looking at toy haulers for a couple of months and finally found one that has everything I'm looking for...only problem is it's a little bigger than I had hoped. With the door up the thing is 37' long:shock:. Do you think the length will be an issue? I'm ok with paying extra for a little more space, but don't want to get into something that will exclude me from some contests. It seems a little silly to pull in to a comp with this monster:icon_bugeyed

tonto1117
10-28-2008, 08:38 AM
:confused:.....I don't see a problem....:rolleyes:....:biggrin:

U2CANQUE
10-28-2008, 08:40 AM
laughs, size matters?......nah, if you can use the trailer go for it......gives you room to grow into it.......now, gas price, affecting that decision.......

toys4dlr
10-28-2008, 11:40 AM
What are the space requirements for the comps you do. Typical around here is 20 x 20, So I have to spend a little extra to get 2 spaces to get my toy hauler in and mine is only 23 ft from front to end. Don't forget that you have to drop the back to get stuff out, usually not a big deal, but if you are slammed in it is something to consider.

Now for the fun part, what type of truck do you have to haul it. TH (Toy Haulers) are very heavy and if you don't have enough truck, the trip will suck.

I bought mine and thought my expedition could handle it, that was a big WRONG. Thank god the first trip was 20 miles from home, I had a different truck the next weekend. I now have a 2000 v10 Excursion with the 4.10 rear end. I now have room to go bigger if I want, but I just hate the 7-8 MPG I get towing. Now you can go with a Diesel, but that is another discussion.

My 2 cents, figure out the truck and then match the trailer. With gas prices and the economy, there should be great deals out there for people with cash. However, TH's are like smokers, you will want a bigger one soon.

Best of luck.

Scottie
10-28-2008, 11:40 AM
Ulcer Acres toy hauler is that size. He is able to cook at most contests. At least I've never heard that he couldn't pull in to pne. There are a lot of big rigs out there. Quau's rig that was at Libertyville, is about 500' long. I need approx 40' when my ramp is down. If they can't fit me and my rig, I don't need to cook their contest is how I look at it...

Scottie

HoDeDo
10-28-2008, 11:48 AM
Size was a big issue for me... I wanted something easy to pull and functional... I found a Crossforce Cruizer that had a side entrance garage. It is 32' in length - nose to tail.... a "30 ft." model. 8 ft. of garage, 22 ft. of living space, with super slide. I have found it is perfect for contests, and not so long as to be a pain to get in and out of events.

Smokin' Guns, Rabbit Gulch, Quau, and several other have 37-42' rigs, and seem to get into and out of contests ok.... so can you do it with one that size... yes, do you have to have one that size... no.

For me, having the ramp drop into my spot, instead of out behind it... was a huge buying factor. I no longer have to rely on permission from my neighbor to pack up, or wait for them to move things, if they are against the back of my trailer.... The side garage door solves all of that...

I started with 29P KZ Sportsmen 5th wheel toy hauler... and it just wasnt quite big enough to be comfortable in... (mid profile, and 10 ft. garage) A full profile w/ 8 ft garage, has been ideal. Let me know if you want to see any info on the Cruisers. They are great trailers. Are you looking at a New Vision, or Raptor or>? Play-mor makes one that is very nicely laid out for a comp rig as well...

Smokin' Joe
10-29-2008, 10:25 PM
Thanks for the replies guys...
Im going to check out the Cruizer models, thanks for the heads up
Andy!

Plowboy
10-29-2008, 11:10 PM
The side garage door versus the rear drop door is a plus. Andy's new rig has the side garage door and that is the only one I'd get for a comp trailer. Saves you a lot of room for your space.

Ron_L
10-29-2008, 11:20 PM
I've been looking at toy haulers for a couple of months and finally found one that has everything I'm looking for...only problem is it's a little bigger than I had hoped. With the door up the thing is 37' long:shock:. Do you think the length will be an issue? I'm ok with paying extra for a little more space, but don't want to get into something that will exclude me from some contests. It seems a little silly to pull in to a comp with this monster:icon_bugeyed

What was wrong with the trailer you had at Libertyville? It looked pretty nice to me :-D

Quau's rig that was at Libertyville, is about 500' long.

Wow! I knew Quau's rig was bug, but I didn't think it was that big! :rolleyes:

HoDeDo
10-30-2008, 08:05 AM
I think Scottie exaggerated Ron... That ShowHauler is really only 467' 8".

Scottie
10-30-2008, 09:44 AM
OK, maybe I gave it a little extra... But I was including his new smoker too...

Q Haven
10-30-2008, 10:02 AM
We got this one for competitions, a Coachmen Blast 150

http://www.rvtraderonline.com/find/listing/2008-COACHMEN-BLAST-150-MPH-93694079

It's a no frills toy hauler, light enough to tow with our Ford Explorer and plenty of room for all our stuff. Only 19 feet from the hitch to the back, so it fits even in 20 by 20 spaces. Marine toilet, shower, furnace, ac, awning, it's all we need for a competition.

Cons: Small, no headroom at all if you have the electric trac bed, not a separate garage area so all your gear is stored in the small living area.

It has served us well....

Plowboy
10-30-2008, 10:18 AM
That is a pretty cool little trailer, Ted.

Q Haven
10-30-2008, 10:28 AM
That is a pretty cool little trailer, Ted.

Thanks....thought you might like this view better!

garyk1398
10-30-2008, 10:34 AM
That would be perfect for me (vertically challenged) thanks for the info!

Smokin' Joe
10-30-2008, 10:49 AM
What was wrong with the trailer you had at Libertyville? It looked pretty nice to me :-D

We like that trailer a lot, however, I really like the idea of being able to roll the cookers in/out instead of trying to throw them into the back of the truck...and a nice storage place for all on my junk (wife mod):evil:

KC_Bobby
10-30-2008, 11:25 AM
Joe, does this mean your old trailer is not a toy hauler?

This thread is killing me, since I posted a similar one last week our financing approval has taken a detour. But I haven't given up all hopes yet - working on plan B now.

Smokin' Joe
10-30-2008, 12:06 PM
Joe, does this mean your old trailer is not a toy hauler?

This thread is killing me, since I posted a similar one last week our financing approval has taken a detour. But I haven't given up all hopes yet - working on plan B now.

Yep, its a travel trailer...started out as the family camper and has turned into my BBQ machine:-P...trying to find something that could be both...the money issue sucks, I can't belive what they want for some of these things:shock:

Bentley
10-30-2008, 03:18 PM
[quote=Smokin' Joe;767761With the door up the thing is 37' long:shock:. [/quote]

Wow...And I thought my 4x8 was trouble! Man, would it be nice to have something like that!

Alexa RnQ
10-30-2008, 06:22 PM
We got this one for competitions
Eau. Mah. GAWD. Now I have trailer envy http://www.divaherself.com/funny/hearteyes.gif

Too big is as bad as too small. That might be juuuuuuuust right.

Plowboy
10-30-2008, 06:45 PM

Even better!!!! :wink:

beam boys bbq
10-30-2008, 07:43 PM
i bought one this year that is 38 feet and 44 with the back droped you get use to driving it you would be in pressed where you can slide in to after learning to drive it :-D:-D:-D:-D

CTSmokehouse
10-30-2008, 10:32 PM

That is one of the "Twins" BWS Fatboys on the left side of the picture...

We will give you the right to post the picture..

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

BTW ..Thanks again for your help in Westport!

Q Haven
10-31-2008, 06:41 AM
That is one of the "Twins" BWS Fatboys on the left side of the picture...

That shows how tight the sites are in some of the Northeast contests. The picture was from Westport last month. But I was still able to fit the trailer in there....

Sledneck
10-31-2008, 07:24 AM
Been shopping the last few months and narrowed it down to an 18'er pending on a closing of a large hospital renovation I am involved in. Keeping my fingers crossed

Chris Nickelson
10-31-2008, 10:35 AM
Hey Todd, or Andy what has average entry fee been for you guys now with the bigger spots????

Chris Nickelson
10-31-2008, 10:37 AM
That's a nice one sled. The only problem is you'll have to park it on millionaire's row since it actually has a "Wardrobe" instead of a common closet....

lol.