PDA

View Full Version : Rate my brisket appearance

Bigmista
10-19-2008, 12:24 PM
Here is my latest turn in for brisket for the Viejas contest. How would you score it?

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j67/bigmista/viejas%202008/Viejas2008053.jpg

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j67/bigmista/viejas%202008/Viejas2008054.jpg

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j67/bigmista/viejas%202008/Viejas2008055.jpg

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j67/bigmista/viejas%202008/Viejas2008056.jpg

chris1237
10-19-2008, 01:29 PM
I would give it a 8-9

LOUMAFF3
10-19-2008, 01:30 PM
I am still a little green as far as competition goes, that being said it looks great. :-D

/dev/bbq
10-19-2008, 01:35 PM
Can't score a picture other than on appearance - a 7 or 8 in my mind. Pluses for nice outer crust, smoke ring, general arrangement. A little gloppy on the sauce (makes me wonder if it's dry).

Was it tender? How was the taste?

-ralph
/dev/bbq
CBJ #21235

motoeric
10-19-2008, 01:36 PM
It's always hard to tell with photos, but I would probably give it a 7 or 8, more likely the 8.

Eric

eurycea
10-19-2008, 02:02 PM
I'd probably go with a 6 or a 7. The sauce looks uneven and the left side of the pieces in the middle look real dark (which would not be a big deal if all the pieces were the same color) and the right sides look real ragged.

Mo-Dave
10-19-2008, 02:21 PM
I'd probably go with a 6 or a 7. The sauce looks uneven and the left side of the pieces in the middle look real dark (which would not be a big deal if all the pieces were the same color) and the right sides look real ragged.

Sorry got to go with what he said, 7 at best. So what were the scores?
Dave

Dustaway
10-19-2008, 03:33 PM
I'd give you a 4 or a 5 the gravy is to heavy doesn't look very appealing to me

sorry couldn't resist more like a 6 or 7

LoneStarBarbeque Co.
10-19-2008, 03:34 PM
Looks pretty good to me. The garnish is nice and not over powering. The left side crust looks a little darker than the right. I like the left side better. Not to crazy about the saucy look. I would say 7 on appearance. I bet that sucker tastes great!

Bigmista
10-19-2008, 03:56 PM
I just ate some. Still tastes good even with no sauce. Here are the scores:

764 856 665 987 888 665

Two 5's and a 4 in tenderness? I have never made a tough brisket in my life. I have overcooked a few and the fell apart but never tough. This on had a little bit of tug before it came apart. A 5 in taste? Everyone who tasted it will argue that one. Even the people who competed against me.

Rub
10-19-2008, 05:54 PM
8 for appearance.
As far as your tenderness score, a low number can also signify a brisket that is too tender, right? Low score doesn't always = tough.

HoDeDo
10-19-2008, 06:54 PM
I would likely give a 7 or 8 on appearance.... Can't really tell what the ends are like... but they seem to be a little soupy with the sauce. Can't tell if the on side is ragged, or just has a funky shadow from the pic. If it is ragged it would be a 7, if it is clean, an 8.

And while I can appreciate the comments from folks.... the worst stuff I cook, that I wouldnt feed my dog I have had people complement me on. I'm sure yours was great, but as saucy as it was you might have been marked down for over saucing, or for something in your flavor profile the judges there didnt like? Not sure - I wish I could help, I'd love a taste to see what the product was like!

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
10-19-2008, 07:05 PM
6-7 for app, little bits here and there. second slice is smeared with rub. thats at a 7 second glance....still would like mine to be that nice..

Bud's BBQ
10-19-2008, 07:33 PM
Obviously can't judge the pics other than on appearance. I'd agree with several of the previous answers: a little gloppy looking with the sauce; uneven pieces and placement in box; above average garnish but no where near the 'putting green' surface that seems to be the standard in the Mid West where we compete; 6-7 on appearance. Taste and tenderness are nother subject all together. After 12 comps this year, we pretty much turn in the same brisket; same taste profile; same cooking technique (Lang 60 - hickory - injection and marinade always the same). We've gotten a couple of firsts, many walks and a couple of tanks......taste is so subjective. Were the judges all KCBS? Was there a judging class the day before the contest?

Bigdog
10-19-2008, 08:04 PM
I just ate some. Still tastes good even with no sauce. Here are the scores:

764 856 665 987 888 665

Two 5's and a 4 in tenderness? I have never made a tough brisket in my life. I have overcooked a few and the fell apart but never tough. This on had a little bit of tug before it came apart. A 5 in taste? Everyone who tasted it will argue that one. Even the people who competed against me.

Looks kinda tough to me. Give it a 4. :-P

But seriously, this man is unable to make a tough brisket. I've seen him make a 4 year old brisket tender as can be. Wasn't much on taste, but tender, heck ya!

BRBBQ
10-19-2008, 09:49 PM
7-8 too much sauce!

ThomEmery
10-19-2008, 09:56 PM
I'd give you a 4 or a 5 the gravy is to heavy doesn't look very appealing to me

LOL Texas answer LOL

BRBBQ
10-19-2008, 10:02 PM
A 4? No way!

BBQchef33
10-19-2008, 11:54 PM
sorry dude.. 6-7

looks sloppy and gloppy...

Bigmista
10-20-2008, 12:23 AM
Never apologize for an honest opinion. It helps.

MrSmoker
10-20-2008, 08:28 AM
To much sauce, could have effected apperance and taste scores.

Bbq Bubba
10-20-2008, 08:38 AM
Nobody has mentioned this yet, but are you trimming your brisket after you cook?

No smoke ring and a flat edge on the right side.

paydabill
10-20-2008, 08:58 AM
I would have given it a solid 8.

Sledneck
10-20-2008, 09:01 AM
id give it a 6

TOPS BBQ
10-20-2008, 09:44 AM
The sauce is bugging me and in one angle of the picture, the slice up front makes the whole product appear uneven.

Anyhow, 7 or 8.

rbinms33
10-20-2008, 10:14 AM
I'd have to give it a 7 and that's mainly due to the uneven/gloppy sauce. That's the first thing you notice when you look at it. The only other thing about seeing that Mista, is now I have a preconceived notion in my head of whether I'm going to taste the meat flavor of the brisket or just sauce and whether you were trying to cover up dryness with sauce. This may have had an impact on your taste scores as well. The other things that caught my attention were the piece sticking up on the left side of the last piece, the left side was darker than the rest and the right side could have been more even. Garnish complimented the overall appearance.

Q Haven
10-20-2008, 10:28 AM
One thing that I have learned if you get a 4 and the rest 8's and 9's, it was one dumb judge. However, if there are two 5's and a 4, there was something wrong. The brisket looks really good to me though. I would give you a 7 on appearance, if the sauce was evenly brushed on it would be a sure 8, possibly a 9 if I was in a good mood.

Jeff_in_KC
10-20-2008, 11:52 AM
7 here as well... sloppy globby sauce and eneven on the right side. I also like to see lots o' meat in the box. I accepted a lot of turn-in's at our contest this past weekend and while I can't open them of course, one thing that stood out to me was this: the guys who did the best and who regularly do the best had the heaviest boxes! I don't think that can be underestimated!

CivilWarBBQ
10-20-2008, 11:53 AM
Nice box Mista. I'd rate it an 8.

Just a few minor things keep me from giving a 9 - sauced a bit unevenly, no bark on the right side of the meat, maybe the first slice a bit skewed (hard to tell from the angle of the photo).

Smoke ring looks terrific! (yeah I know it doesn't count :icon_frow )

crewdawg52
10-20-2008, 12:14 PM
Good solid 8 from moi. Just a tad too much sauce and it looked like the last slice (largest slice) could have used a little trimming to get rid of the "rough" edge

HBMTN
10-20-2008, 12:23 PM
My wife and I are both KCBS Cert Judges and from the pic's we agree at least a 7, maybe an 8 if I were looking at it live.

Desertdog
10-20-2008, 02:02 PM
Yep Neil, Lookin a little wet.

If you say it was tender, I am sure it was tender. But with 50 judges, you are bound to run into a couple oddballs. Maybe they ended up at the same table!

BBQ_Mayor
10-20-2008, 02:31 PM
Looking at your scores, it was not the appearance that got ya. Taste and tenderness got tagged pretty good by the judges.
Appearance- I'd give it a strong 8.

Spydermike72
10-20-2008, 02:47 PM
Nobody has mentioned this yet, but are you trimming your brisket after you cook?

No smoke ring and a flat edge on the right side.

Smoke ring or lack thereof is not to be considered when judging... :mrgreen::cool:

Single Fin Smoker
10-20-2008, 03:39 PM
Sauce and garnish? Must be a California contest.

G$
10-20-2008, 04:19 PM
Neil, I do not have a picture of our brisket, but wish I did. For good or bad, it looked nothing like yours.

We used no sauce, at all.
We over cooked, and had to get creative on presentation.
I have never felt so miserable at a contest, and at brisket time just wanted to get the stuff in the box.

Result: 11th, right ahead of QN4U.

barbefunkoramaque
10-20-2008, 04:42 PM
:-P
Looks okay... when will judges begin deducting points because the brisket they sample tastes like the underside has steeped in a bed of parsley? I set a chunk the other day on some parsley I had ready for some Parsley Butter and some Mashed Potatoes I was making. when I picked up the burnt end REEKED of parsley.

Who was the idiot that came up with Parsley as a garnish... someone from Texas? OK? Alabama? Tennessee, Mississippi? Louisiana? WHERE? bring me this person... NOW!!!! Who was this MOFO?:wink:

Solidkick
10-20-2008, 05:23 PM
Seven slices is the kiss of death, know that from experience.......gotta get 8 or 9 in the box.......here's a pic of the 178.8572 brisket from Sedalia this year.....you and I have the same thought as to presentation....I just think your box needed to be fuller. Pic is for comparison.....keep you comments directed to Mista's box, please!

Jorge
10-20-2008, 05:29 PM
:-P
Looks okay... when will judges begin deducting points because the brisket they sample tastes like the underside has steeped in a bed of parsley? I set a chunk the other day on some parsley I had ready for some Parsley Butter and some Mashed Potatoes I was making. when I picked up the burnt end REEKED of parsley.

Who was the idiot that came up with Parsley as a garnish... someone from Texas? OK? Alabama? Tennessee, Mississippi? Louisiana? WHERE? bring me this person... NOW!!!! Who was this MOFO?:wink:

I'm starting to understand why the Governor has banned you.

Bentley
10-20-2008, 07:00 PM
I would give it a 5, it did not have enough sauce...man you werent kidding as I was leaving and you said it was dry!

Bentley
10-20-2008, 07:03 PM
I Two 5's and a 4 in tenderness? I have never made a tough brisket in my life.

I did not read the other post, but I am sure some one pointed this out.

I have given low scores on tenderness for an over cooked brisket as well as tuff brother!

macforty
10-21-2008, 11:51 AM
hey cheif i will give you a 8 appearance,minus the burnt ends. but overall it looks great.

KC_Bobby
10-21-2008, 12:59 PM
hey cheif i will give you a 8 appearance,minus the burnt ends. but overall it looks great.

Minus the burnt ends? I don't understand. A KCBS judge cannot (isn't suppose to) lower a score due to what's not in the box (as long as it is at least 6 distingushable pieces).

That said, I think the gravy looks heavy and inconsistant - 7

AzQer
10-21-2008, 01:04 PM
Well Neil I did get to taste your brisket and i would have to say that I would not have given it that low of a score. I thought it was not over done or under done. As a newer competetor Im still not sure what judges are looking for also I think if your brisket slightly pulled before breaking then 7 or above. I tasted your brisket maybe 20mins after turn in also.
Just my 2 cents friend it was great to finally meet you in person

barbefunkoramaque
10-21-2008, 05:24 PM
I'm starting to understand why the Governor has banned you.

At least I am proud of the state I am from... TEXAS BABY!

I competed at a time we didn't all stupid about garnish. Stupid about the shape of the slices. Stupid about things that have NOTHING to do with the Q inside your box, foil or butcher paper.

This era has long passed and there now is more mediocre que than we know what to do with. Go to one of the BBQ pageants outside of the BBQ belt and you'll see what I mean.
:rolleyes:

Don't get pissed now, I'm just the crazy old guy that represents the "old days."

I am also insinuating it was not a TEXAN or southerner that came up with being obsessed with what type of arugula is under your sample.

Rickwieser
10-22-2008, 09:04 AM
solid 7. sauce should compliment not cover. it is a meat contest. Might add some burnt ends at the bottom. Seemed to help my scores. Always fill the box full. Nice looking box though. Judges scores have been all over the place since the new judging system came into play. climbing on soapbox Old system worked well shoulda fixed it not changed it. start at top and go down. add decimals exmple 7.25,7.5 etc and no ties. IMHO because many judges are bubbas from the crowd. Keep it simple and start at the top and go down. Dont confuse that bubba thats gettin a free meal by tellin him to start in the middle and go up and or down Sorry couldnt resist. just my overtaxed .02 worth