PDA

View Full Version : Contest Announcment Barbecue Throwdown & Blues Festival -Norwalk,CT 8/8/2009

Sledneck
10-14-2008, 04:17 PM
Barbecue Throwdown & Blues Festival - Norwalk Exchange Club

Norwalk, CT
Starts: 08/08/2009
Ends: 08/10/2009
Website: www.porkintheparkbbq.com (http://www.kcbs.us/www.porkintheparkbbq.com)
KCBS Reps: KATHIE DAKAI, KEN DAKAI

Contact Information:
Greg Bernson
10 Cross St
Norwalk, CT 06851
Phone: 203-846-1400
Fax: 203-846-2700
greg@printpath.net

CTSmokehouse
10-14-2008, 05:11 PM
It's a little way off time wise... but a local event for me...

I'll be there!

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

WannaBeBBQueen
10-15-2008, 06:42 AM
decisions, decisions...hmmm we wil have to see...I like the location:biggrin:

bbqdavarrow
10-15-2008, 06:52 AM
when is the Hudson Valley Ribfest? same weekend??

Sledneck
10-15-2008, 07:19 AM
Ribfest is the weekend after

nancee
10-15-2008, 06:41 PM
Guys
These dates are not carved in stone yet. I will know more next week.
nancee

Sledneck
11-26-2008, 11:13 PM
I am just a little bit thrilled about this

Barbecue Throwdown & Blues Festival - Norwalk Exchange Club

Norwalk, CT
Starts: 09/11/2009
Ends: 09/13/2009
Website: http://www.porkintheparkbbq.com (http://www.porkintheparkbbq.com/)
KCBS Reps: KATHIE DAKAI, KEN DAKAI

Contact Information:
Greg Bernson
10 Cross St
Norwalk, CT 06851
Phone: 203-846-1400
Fax: 203-846-2700
greg@printpath.net

Sledneck
02-02-2009, 09:07 AM
Application is up. Bit expensive at $350 for the main 4

http://www.norwalkbbq.com/Team%20App2.pdf (http://www.norwalkbbq.com/Team%20App2.pdf)

http://www.norwalkbbq.com/

Jacked UP BBQ
02-02-2009, 09:14 AM
09/26/09
to
09/27/09 Blues, Views and BBQ (http://kcbs.us/events.php?year=2009&month=09&id=1563) Westport, CT
STATE CHAMPIONSHIP Contact: Bob LeRose, 42 Main St, Westport, CT 06880.
Phone: 917-446-2921. Fax: 203-454-7806. rlerose@msn.com (rlerose@msn.com)

Anyone know anything about this one?

KCBS Reps: LESLIE LOVELY, DON LOVELY Results not in.

Sledneck
02-02-2009, 09:20 AM
09/26/09
to
09/27/09 Blues, Views and BBQ (http://kcbs.us/events.php?year=2009&month=09&id=1563) Westport, CT

KCBS Reps: LESLIE LOVELY, DON LOVELY Results not in.Great contest. Unfortunately since they moved it back one weekend I will not be going back. It was the weekend before last year, now it is the weekend before the Royal

Jacked UP BBQ
02-02-2009, 09:23 AM
Great contest.

The same weekend as Seaside Heights, NJ. There has been some piss poor date planning by these new contests. They are both close contests to anyone in NJ, NY, PA, and CT. I think they are spreading these to thin. The KCBS should be more strict with the dates and sanctioning.

Sledneck
02-02-2009, 09:25 AM
The same weekend as Seaside Heights, NJ. There has been some piss poor date planning by these new contests. They are both close contests to anyone in NJ, NY, PA, and CT. I think they are spreading these to thin. The KCBS should be more strict with the dates and sanctioning.
I dont think you get the same crowd at NJ you would at CT the same weekend so shouldnt be a problem

Jacked UP BBQ
02-02-2009, 09:26 AM
Keep us bridge and tunnel trash down in NJ!!! I know I would have been in CT if there wasn't a contest twenty minutes from my house.

Sledneck
02-02-2009, 09:28 AM
Keep us bridge and tunnel trash down in NJ!!! I know I would have been in CT if there wasn't a contest twenty minutes from my house. So then it is a good thing no? Seaside is twice the distance for me than westport and even further for anybody up in New England. And it was planned that way so you wouldnt come as well:tongue:

Jacked UP BBQ
02-02-2009, 09:34 AM
Do you know the odds of a twopete??:tongue:

CTSmokehouse
02-02-2009, 10:20 AM
09/26/09
to

KCBS Reps: LESLIE LOVELY, DON LOVELY Results not in.

Great Venue! Very well organized. Cooker friendly...Great Sunday AM Team Breakfast.

Good time last year...will do it again this year!

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

CTSmokehouse
02-02-2009, 10:42 AM
Application is up. Bit expensive at $350 for the main 4

http://www.norwalkbbq.com/Team%20App2.pdf

http://www.norwalkbbq.com/

Looks like a good venue...Pricey!! Yes...Local...Yes...I expect to partipate in one form or another.

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

lunchlady
02-02-2009, 02:19 PM
$350 ??? holy moly....

the only thing up here thats even close to that money is Harpoon...
looks like thats off my list, we just can't go that high.

...although I wonder how the 20K is split up...

good luck to all y'all that can pay that.

not trying to bash this, I'm glad CT is getting more contests... just being honest thats all.

Sledneck
02-02-2009, 02:30 PM
$350 ??? holy moly....

the only thing up here thats even close to that money is Harpoon...
looks like thats off my list, we just can't go that high.

...although I wonder how the 20K is split up...

good luck to all y'all that can pay that.

not trying to bash this, I'm glad CT is getting more contests... just being honest thats all.
I am with you on this one. I was real pleased to see it added in September as I was not going to do Westport and then leave 3 days later to it the road for the royal but at $350 it will dig to deep in my pockets

Scottie
02-02-2009, 02:34 PM
I think I am only paying $350 for Smoke on the Water in March. That is a huge spot, electric, water and a $50,000 payout...

This contest seems to be a bit out there with their prices and thinking folks are going to pay those kinds of fees....

Jacked UP BBQ
02-02-2009, 02:41 PM
Damn ct yuppies!!!!!

Sledneck
02-02-2009, 02:48 PM
I think I am only paying $350 for Smoke on the Water in March. That is a huge spot, electric, water and a $50,000 payout...

This contest seems to be a bit out there with their prices and thinking folks are going to pay those kinds of fees....
I guess they will find out:rolleyes:

Scottie
02-02-2009, 03:01 PM
Hmmmm. THe last time I called up a organizer and told them they were overcharging... they gave me a free entry... I wonder if there will be any bottom feeding going on? :roll: Never been to CT to cook...:twisted:

Jacked UP BBQ
02-02-2009, 03:04 PM
I have seen this before with other things. If we pay this, they will all jack their prices in this area. We need to start a strike and tell everyone to not enter this event and see if we can get them to lower the entry. 350 is usually mt entry and meat.

Sledneck
02-02-2009, 03:05 PM
Hmmmm. THe last time I called up a organizer and told them they were overcharging... they gave me a free entry... I wonder if there will be any bottom feeding going on? :roll: Never been to CT to cook...:twisted:I took 3rd in chicken in CT so that means anybody can win in CT:icon_blush:

Scottie
02-02-2009, 03:06 PM
I took 3rd in chicken in CT so that means anybody can win in CT:icon_blush:

Sounds like my kind of state then!!!

Sledneck
02-02-2009, 03:06 PM
I have seen this before with other things. If we pay this, they will all jack their prices in this area. We need to start a strike and tell everyone to not enter this event and see if we can get them to lower the entry. 350 is usually mt entry and meat.I sent the organizer a note and told him to come over here and read the discussion about it. No need to call for a boycott maybe a little explainin will help him

gb7488
02-02-2009, 10:22 PM
Kinda wondered when this would start... First a small apology, the website won’t be complete until the weekend, we have an ad running in the Bull Sheet so the site had to be live, our web guy is finishing the site any minute – What is noticeably missing is the prize money breakdown - $350 is a lot if you don’t know what you’re playing for. Also – Waiting for the proclamation for State Championship, probably another 2 weeks.

The Prize Package will be posted this week, in the meantime
KCBS Total Awards Packet $11,700
Grand Champion $2,500
Reserve $1,500
4 Categories pay to the 10th place

The $350 also covers:
Sauce, Anything Butt, Iron Chef, Best Site– additional $2250 in prize money
Water & Electric
Friday Night Team Welcome Party
Sunday Morning Team Breakfast

Balance of the $20,000 goes to the Whole Hog and Grillers

I’ll post a more complete response after I digest the comments a little more.

Greg
Bar•B•Q Pit
Norwalk Exchange

Sledneck
02-03-2009, 07:25 AM
Kinda wondered when this would start... First a small apology, the website won’t be complete until the weekend, we have an ad running in the Bull Sheet so the site had to be live, our web guy is finishing the site any minute – What is noticeably missing is the prize money breakdown - $350 is a lot if you don’t know what you’re playing for. Also – Waiting for the proclamation for State Championship, probably another 2 weeks.

Grand Champion $2,500
Reserve $1,500

The $350 also covers:
Water & Electric

Greg
Bar•B•Q Pit
Norwalk ExchangeThanks for the response Greg I typically never do the extra categories like sauce, iron chef best site etc. Majority of the time those extra categories have a separate fee. Wouldnt that make more sense and this way you will attract more teams and the ones that do decide to do those categories pay extra? With the current economy I think many teams myself included are cutting back so added costs might sway a team to not compete at your event.

Sledneck
02-03-2009, 07:32 AM
Just a comparison for a comp in our area . Sayville last October was a $225 entry fee that paid out $9400.

Jacked UP BBQ
02-03-2009, 08:08 AM
Dover Delaware 200 entry paid out 20,000.00

WannaBeBBQueen
02-03-2009, 08:34 AM
It does seem kinda steep for the economy...when I spoke with one of the vendors (tomspice)they said even the vending fees were too high they could not afford to participate...why is this event so much more money than others?

CTSmokehouse
02-03-2009, 01:17 PM
It does seem kinda steep for the economy...when I spoke with one of the vendors (tomspice)they said even the vending fees were too high they could not afford to participate...why is this event so much more money than others?

It could be the size of the venue it is tied to...The Oyster Festival is well established and a big draw...(guess 75,000 plus)..

Is the grilling (Pro Burger, Fish etc..)NEBS?

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

BigBarry
02-03-2009, 02:42 PM
If the fees for the non-KCBS stuff were separate, it would be much more enticing. It would also increase team attendence for those that only do KCBS and maybe get some locals/newbies to do the non-KCBS stuff.

KCBS is the primary event. The other stuff is extra and therefore should cost extra. Do a scan of the area contests last year and come up with a fair-market fee.

Power & water are usually included at most events and the party and breakfast should be sponsored to cover the cost.

Just my 2c.

Will have to see how it pans out. Love the location and event.

nancee
02-03-2009, 04:56 PM
Hello there Greg...glad to see you in my other world. I think what most of the folks don't get is the actual practical/ $$ base of the Oyster Festival. Folks, this is one EXPENSIVE event to produce...Everyone wants a piece of us...the city, the entertainers, busses, insurance...and the list goes on and on...this is NOTHING like the other contest venues we do in the east. It might be more compared scalewise to the Royal just with a lot more non Q stuff involved.

In regards to vending fees, they are high again because of the nature and limited landscape of the venue. Yet the same vendors come back year after year (ie Tomspice) because they make a fortune and they don't want to give their space up to the waiting list. Many of you may recall the discussion posted last year about us (PTCC) having a food booth with a charity as all the food is vended in some form or fashion to benefit the nonprofit community.

The other thing you may not know, or care, is that the Oyster Festival is essentially the only fundraiser of the Norwalk Seaport Association, a large educational nonprofit here in town. We have some good years (ie perfect weather) but a lot more mediocre or outright bad than perfect. We have to fund the entire event (and organization) based on Mother Nature's whims and I am quite sure most of you have heard about the tightening of donations being experienced by all nonprofits in this lovely economy.

Lastly and then I will crawl back into my shell, is that you need to consider what Norwalk Exhange does with the money they raise. I urge you to take a look and see where they spend the $$ they work so hard to raise...

So sorry this is so long but I felt there was some stuff folks needed to know. Y'all can PM me if you want more info or send me a normal email.
Nancee

Grand Champion $2,500
Reserve $1,500

The $350 also covers:
Water & Electric

Greg
Bar•B•Q Pit
Norwalk Exchange

MilitantSquatter
02-03-2009, 05:50 PM
$350 is a bit hefty but for some in the area, the closer location than many other contests should help with reduced gas & toll expenses which will partially offset the higher entry fee.

ique
02-03-2009, 06:29 PM
It is a bit pricey. But the location is cool and if there are complimentary oysters in the deal, I'm in. :)

CTSmokehouse
02-03-2009, 07:19 PM
It is a bit pricey. But the location is cool and if there are complimentary oysters in the deal, I'm in. :)

Good response and I'm happy that Nancee chimed in...

Greg from the Exchange Club has been promoting his event at our comps... Westport, Sayville....

Comp oysters??

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

CTSmokehouse
02-03-2009, 07:51 PM
It might be more compared scalewise to the Royal just with a lot more non Q stuff involved.

Yeah ...

What Nancee said...

It's a big time deal here....

Big time music and big time crowds...

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

Jacked UP BBQ
02-03-2009, 09:03 PM

I'll bring the cape may salts!

Sledneck
02-11-2009, 07:59 AM
So it is real expensive to produce this event is the answer? The infrastructure is already there becasue an event will take place regaldless so I do not see that as a reason for the high entry fee. SHould actually be cheaper. First year event from an organizers who very well might know oyster festivals but no bbq comp track record. Still doesnt make sense as another contest only 6 miles away is gonna happen 2 weeks after this one. Good Luck

nancee
02-11-2009, 11:24 AM
The 2 events are apples and oranges Sled. Actually Bob changed the dates on Westport after this one was already on the books. Anyhow look at Harpoon...its expensive and has lousy prize money but you still have to write an essay to get in!!!
Nancee
ps stay tuned for some interesting details on value added stuff for this event but I will leave that up to Greg. It will be a couple of weeks before its all in place.

Sledneck
02-11-2009, 11:30 AM
I guess I like oranges