PDA

View Full Version : Judging Demographics at The Jack

MilitantSquatter
10-12-2008, 10:50 AM
I know people come from all over to judge the Jack. My guess is a mix of certified judges from possibly from different sanctioning bodies,some non-certified judges, maybe some locals, maybe some celebrity judges, foodies/writers etc. but I could be completely off in my assumption.

Can anyone provide some more insight into the usual makeup of the judging pool ?

Anyone use this info to tailor/fine-tune how & what they cook at this specific contest or prefer to just stick with what brought you there game plan ?

Thanks

Bunny
10-12-2008, 11:12 AM
People from all over do come to judge the Jack, but they are all certified before the judging begins. It is required that you take the CBJ class before judging if you are not certified.

Yes they have their celebrity judges, too. I know one year Eddie Haskell was one of them and I judged next to a baseball player one year. They have their local television media judges and last year Guy from Dive-Ins, Diners and Dives was suppose to judge but didn't show. I was so hoping he would be this year.

Rich Tuttle is going to judge this year as he did last year. He is a CBJ instructor as well as Master CBJ, KCBS rep and a competitor on KCass BBQ Team. So while he's judging, I'm going to visit teams.:grin:

Hope I gave you some insight on the judging.

Bunny Tuttle

Bunny
10-12-2008, 11:15 AM
PS..I would cook like you always do. That's what got you there in the first place!!

ique
10-12-2008, 01:06 PM
Its pretty varied as you point out. From the the local news sports anchor to master KCBS judges. You could go heavy on sweet sauce for a new judge but what happens when you end up on Paul Kirks table?

Just do your thing and pray for good tables...

SloppyQ
10-12-2008, 05:14 PM
Vinny don't change anything, you could end up DAL, I know (last week syndrom). You guys will do just fine.

swamprb
10-13-2008, 09:59 AM
Is the judging class the day of turn ins?

Podge
10-13-2008, 11:52 AM
I know people come from all over to judge the Jack. My guess is a mix of certified judges from possibly from different sanctioning bodies,some non-certified judges, maybe some locals, maybe some celebrity judges, foodies/writers etc. but I could be completely off in my assumption.

Can anyone provide some more insight into the usual makeup of the judging pool ?

Anyone use this info to tailor/fine-tune how & what they cook at this specific contest or prefer to just stick with what brought you there game plan ?

Thanks

dance with the one that got you there... Good is good, people are people.

QN
10-13-2008, 12:17 PM
Is the judging class the day of turn ins?
The judging class is usually on Friday afternoon with judging on Saturday at the usual times for a KCBS event.

Alexa RnQ
10-13-2008, 12:25 PM
You could go heavy on sweet sauce for a new judge but what happens when you end up on Paul Kirks table?

:shock:

This is what worries me. We've learned from the beginning in a sweet California-style flavor package. It's all we know.

I'm skeert. Somebody hold me.

QN
10-13-2008, 02:24 PM

This is what worries me. We've learned from the beginning in a sweet California-style flavor package. It's all we know.

As Chris said...
"Just do your thing and pray for good tables..."
The judges are from all over and a lot are food writers and food industry professionals. Remember, the real goal is to get publicity for the local product...
http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080918/OPINION03/809180338

swamprb
10-13-2008, 06:28 PM
The judging class is usually on Friday afternoon with judging on Saturday at the usual times for a KCBS event.

I was poking around on the Jack Daniels site and there was not much info on the contest, is it true you can drop in for a "refresher course" at a KCBS judging class?

Left Coast group hug!

Solidkick
10-13-2008, 07:02 PM
Vinnie.............if Pooh wants to change chit up when you get down to Lynchburg, you have my permission to slap him the fark back to reality!!
Do what got you there.....it's all in the judges hands anyway.......
I turn in 180 food every contest, it's the six setting at the table that don't agree with me! :wink: