PDA

View Full Version : No Free Samples

Papa Hogg
09-22-2008, 07:44 AM
This weekend at the Big Pig Gig in WI, my wife told me something I have never seen before & I could not really believe it. We had some friends come to the contest on Saturday & while they were all walking around she told me that one of the teams had a sign up that said "No Free Samples". Now if you do not want to give out samples to the crowd that's fine, I do not agree with that & I will touch more on it in a minute, but then just don't put anything out. But to give a big FU to the crowd is just plain wrong IMHO.

We are the embassadors of Q and alot of these people come out to taste our wares & SUPPORT our sport. Obviously our entrance fees do not cover the prize money so in order to hold these events sponsors are needed & crowd suppport for the extra-curriculars is a must. I have seen football, baseball, tennis, golf players all toss ball into the crowd. NASCAR from my understanding allows a lot of access to the drivers ect. to the fans.

I always bring some of what I cook home with me but I love to put out samples for the crowd to enjoy, & enjoy they do! I know that you occasionally get some jag that tries to grab a rib out of your turn in box or something, but for the most part the people are just interested in what we do 7 might be interested in trying something at home themselves. I love to talk with the crowd, I'll talk about my pit, the time it takes to cook the different cuts we turn in, staying up most of the night, ect. If I am busy working on a turn-in I will politely tell someone that I am under a tight time crunch & I would love to talk with them some more in greater detail & share some food with them once I get done what I need to get done, so stop on back.

I personally will put out my samples after each category is turned in, but I understand if you wait until all categories have been turned-in before you put something out. Like I said above if you are really against putting anything out that's your choice, but you do not need to advertise that you could care less about the fans that come out to support our sport, just don't put anything out, if they don't see a tray of food out by you they typically just walk on by.

Am I off base here or what are others thoughts on this???

mds2
09-22-2008, 08:02 AM
I would imagine that the team that hung that sign got sick of people coming up and asking them for food when they were busy trying to get stuff done, and we all know how annoying that can get.

And BBQ isnt a sport.

Sledneck
09-22-2008, 08:11 AM
If the event has vendors then I am totally against giving out samples. They pay a fee to be there and I do not wish to take anything away from them.

Dale P
09-22-2008, 08:16 AM
After I take off my gloves, I always toss one to my fans.

I do not think that the sign was such a great idea but I have had people biotch at me because I didnt feed the masses. That is not my job.
Plus food poisoning and lawyers take all the fun out of giving.

Plowboy
09-22-2008, 08:22 AM
Around these parts, samples are not the norm. Of the 20+ contests I'll do this year, only one encourages samples. Some prohibit it for reasons of other vendors or public food safety.

That still didn't stop a family from walking up at the MO State Fair a few years ago and taking brisket right off of our slicer as we turned away.

goodsmokebbq
09-22-2008, 08:23 AM
Many organizers will not allow “public samples” for various reasons (vendors or health dept regs). We as teams have to explain it to almost everyone that comes by expecting to get samples. We are even threatened with disqualification. I would love to give out tastes but I am not going to risk getting kicked out. I can understand the frustration of dealing with the public and think this sign was a way (maybe not the best) to deal with it.

Maybe this should fall to the organizer? If they are so insistent on not letting teams give to the public maybe they can post a sign at the event. I always feel so guilty having to turn people away.

Ron_L
09-22-2008, 08:26 AM
If the event has vendors then I am totally against giving out samples. They pay a fee to be there and I do not wish to take anything away from them.

That should be a policy decision by the organizers. It should be up to them to protect their organizers. If they tell the teams not to give out samples, then we should respect that. In this case, the organizers told us that samples were permitted, so then it is up to the team. While I disagree with putting out a sign, I think mds2 is right. They were probably tired of being bothered. For me, talking to the people walking around is a lot of fun. If I need to get busy I just excuse myself and tell them why. They always understand.

Papa Hogg
09-22-2008, 08:30 AM
Here in WI none of the events I have done are against giving out samples, in fact most sort of encourage it. Obviously if the organizer said do not give out samples then I would not, but that is not the case here.

And mds2 check out this thread :wink:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35680&highlight=fastest+growing+sport

Papa Hogg
09-22-2008, 08:31 AM
That should be a policy decision by the organizers. It should be up to them to protect their organizers. If they tell the teams not to give out samples, then we should respect that. In this case, the organizers told us that samples were permitted, so then it is up to the team. While I disagree with putting out a sign, I think mds2 is right. They were probably tired of being bothered. For me, talking to the people walking around is a lot of fun. If I need to get busy I just excuse myself and tell them why. They always understand.

Spoken like the embassador of Q that you are.

jbrink01
09-22-2008, 08:38 AM
That still didn't stop a family from walking up at the MO State Fair a few years ago and taking brisket right off of our slicer as we turned away.

That's pretty bold! Although, if you were in Sedalia it may have just been a hillbilly that doesn't get to town much........

Jacked UP BBQ
09-22-2008, 08:47 AM
I say it takes away from the vendors who pay a hell of a lot more than us to be there.

Sidw
09-22-2008, 08:55 AM
Once when we had turned our backs we had a person reach in and pickup a very expensive and clean knife and start cutting meat we had sitting out. Other times we have had people just start picking up food that was sitting out without the courtesy to even ask. Another team had someone pull meat out of their turn-in box. This being said I think it is great fun to talk with the crowd and help encourage them to get involved with Que.

We use to give alot of our leftovers out as samples. After all we have a bunch in our freezer already, but I truly believe it hurts vendors. We have became friends with teams & vendors that pay good money to sell their BBQ and work hard to provide a quality product and make a profit. When we feed the crowd it takes money out of the pockets of the vendors.

Just my thinking.

Papa Hogg
09-22-2008, 08:58 AM
I say it takes away from the vendors who pay a hell of a lot more than us to be there.

Even with our hand outs according to the people coming thru the competition area & verified by my contigency, Florida Skin & Bones had a 45 + minute wait at their vending booth, the Silver Spur had a 30+ minute wait at their vending booth, the custard vendor had over a 45+ minute wait and all the vendors were there from Friday night thru Sunday evening. So I don't think 49 teams handing out a couple hundred pounds of bite size samples for an hour & a half really made a dent in what the vendors were doing.

Jeff_in_KC
09-22-2008, 09:06 AM
That's pretty bold! Although, if you were in Sedalia it may have just been a hillbilly that doesn't get to town much........

Ya know, I TRY not to take offense :wink: ... but I think we can find a more appropriate term than hillbilly because I certainly am not a thief and my heritage is as "hillbilly" as it gets! :roll:

Anyway, to address this thread, I am not opposed to providing samples if the organizer allows, but as was pointed out, many organizers around these parts do not allow it because of vendors and health department regs. We did not allow it here at the Pleasant Hill contest... the Cass County Health Department barely let us do people's choice! :roll: Plus we had two vendors out here that it would steal business from. Not sure the people's choice didn't do some of that anyway.

In regards to the sign saying "No Free Samples", I agree that's probably a bit harsh. I agree that we owe at least friendliness and hospitality to the public because without the public coming out, there are no sponsors who would be willing to support the contest and thus, less payout and support to teams. In many cases, though, I have sponsors to whom I promise all the leftover turn-in meat in return for paying my entry fee. I can't give away all that's already promised to a team sponsor. But I believe that it's always the responsibility of the organizer to let the public know if samples are not allowed. Too many times, I've seen local advertisements that deceive the public. While not intentionally done, the public arrives thinking they get to eat free BBQ from teams. If you ARE going to allow free samples at your contest, there should be notice that not all teams will be participating and instead of leaving it up to teams to be the bad guy and advertise that they aren't giving free samples, the organizers should make it a positive by providing some sort of sign to teams that ARE willing to share, indicating this willingness so that teams that cannot or won't share aren't hassled and made to look like the bad guys.

jbrink01
09-22-2008, 09:35 AM
Ya know, I TRY not to take offense :wink: ... but I think we can find a more appropriate term than hillbilly because I certainly am not a thief and my heritage is as "hillbilly" as it gets! :roll:

Sorry if I offended your delicate sensibilities! I grew up in a cultural and social backwater as well, and therefore feel a certain "entitlement" to poke fun......just havin' fun!

Jeff_in_KC
09-22-2008, 09:39 AM
Sorry if I offended your delicate sensibilities! I grew up in a cultural and social backwater as well, and therefore feel a certain "entitlement" to poke fun......just havin' fun!

I'm just chittin' ya! I'm not that sensitive! :lol:

Jacked UP BBQ
09-22-2008, 09:44 AM
Even with our hand outs according to the people coming thru the competition area & verified by my contigency, Florida Skin & Bones had a 45 + minute wait at their vending booth, the Silver Spur had a 30+ minute wait at their vending booth, the custard vendor had over a 45+ minute wait and all the vendors were there from Friday night thru Sunday evening. So I don't think 49 teams handing out a couple hundred pounds of bite size samples for an hour & a half really made a dent in what the vendors were doing.

Maybe they could have had an hour line!!! Couple hundred more pounds of meat they could have sold and turned a better profit. We are there to compete and perform as cooks not hand out free samples. You can get paid to do that at costco is you think that is your calling.

Sidw
09-22-2008, 09:56 AM

No wanting to argue, but a couple hundred pounds of meat could mean a bunch. If people walked around and sample just a 1/4 lb or so each and then decided to eat later on the way home instead of there that would be 600 to 800 potentail customers.

You would not have to visit many teams to eat a 4 ozs. of meat.

tonto1117
09-22-2008, 10:13 AM

At Elk Grove this year we had a couple that came up to us after turn ins and ask for samples. I politley told them we were not allowed to give samples to the public. I turned my away and went in the coach to put the remaing meat away. I then wacthed her grab a tray of biscuts that had been left on the table from breakfast that morning and stuff them into her bag...:shock: (musta been rock hard at that point) Some folks just don't know how to take no for an answer no matter how polite you try to be.

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
09-22-2008, 10:13 AM
at the 2007 Maryland BBQ bash in BelAir the organizers passed out the signs and made us all hang them up.."official competitor no free samples" this was to protect the vendors who paid big money to get their spots. I personally didnt mind the sign, not that I would hang one up on my own.

Smoky River BBQ
09-22-2008, 10:17 AM
Perhaps this is a subject that should be addressed to the KCBS or any other sanctioning body to have the rules, regs, or opinions spelled out clearly before any contest. At that point, the reps should pass this information along to the organizer and contestants. If the organizer knows what is or is not allowed, then the public could know ahead of time by media or at least a sign at the gate.

Jeff_in_KC
09-22-2008, 10:21 AM
Perhaps this is a subject that should be addressed to the KCBS or any other sanctioning body to have the rules, regs, or opinions spelled out clearly before any contest. At that point, the reps should pass this information along to the organizer and contestants. If the organizer knows what is or is not allowed, then the public could know ahead of time by media or at least a sign at the gate.

IMHO, it's the responsibility of the organizers for what is and is not allowed as far as non-comp related rules, not KCBS. They (KCBS) can't know what rules and laws are in place in all of the local jurisdictions where contests are sanctioned.

Papa Hogg
09-22-2008, 10:26 AM
Maybe they could have had an hour line!!! Couple hundred more pounds of meat they could have sold and turned a better profit. We are there to compete and perform as cooks not hand out free samples. You can get paid to do that at costco is you think that is your calling.

No wanting to argue, but a couple hundred pounds of meat could mean a bunch. If people walked around and sample just a 1/4 lb or so each and then decided to eat later on the way home instead of there that would be 600 to 800 potentail customers.

You would not have to visit many teams to eat a 4 ozs. of meat.

How many people do you think said I'm not waiting that long for a $5 sammie and decide to get something on the way home anyways? I had one guy tell me he walked across the street to the Speedway gas station & got a chili dog instead of standing in line for an hour, he was quite grateful to sample the 1 inch slice of brisket I gave him. Should the gas station not be allowed to sell food because of the vendors. As I also stated this was a 3 day festival so our 1.5 hours of sample availability was a mere drop in the bucket to the 28 hours of vending time available.

OC I am there to cook & perform, which is what I do (I have taken at least 2 walks in every contest I have entered) but most of all I am there to be an embassador of Q and our sport. I promote this site, I educate about the different style of pits, I talk about rubs, charcoal & wood anything you want to ask I will try to answer. This year there was a new team in one of the comps I did that was a spectator at that comp last year, the reason he decided to start competing was because of his experience as a spectator & he is also now a brethren!

As RonL pointed out this contest, as do most in our area, tell us to hand out samples if we are willing. If your not willing then don't put anything out that fine, but I think it was wrong to put a big sign that said FU to the crowd that came to support us.

jbrink01
09-22-2008, 10:28 AM
I'm just chittin' ya! I'm not that sensitive! :lol:

I know.......

Jacked UP BBQ
09-22-2008, 10:40 AM
How many people do you think said I'm not waiting that long for a $5 sammie and decide to get something on the way home anyways? I had one guy tell me he walked across the street to the Speedway gas station & got a chili dog instead of standing in line for an hour, he was quite grateful to sample the 1 inch slice of brisket I gave him. Should the gas station not be allowed to sell food because of the vendors. As I also stated this was a 3 day festival so our 1.5 hours of sample availability was a mere drop in the bucket to the 28 hours of vending time available.

OC I am there to cook & perform, which is what I do (I have taken at least 2 walks in every contest I have entered) but most of all I am there to be an embassador of Q and our sport. I promote this site, I educate about the different style of pits, I talk about rubs, charcoal & wood anything you want to ask I will try to answer. This year there was a new team in one of the comps I did that was a spectator at that comp last year, the reason he decided to start competing was because of his experience as a spectator & he is also now a brethren!

As RonL pointed out this contest, as do most in our area, tell us to hand out samples if we are willing. If your not willing then don't put anything out that fine, but I think it was wrong to put a big sign that said FU to the crowd that came to support us.

I didn't realize the sign said FU! If that's the case he should have been thrown out of the comp. Are we dealing with facts of what you interpreted the sign as? Congrats on all your walks. But let's be serious for a second as far as the gas station goes. Obviously you never tried to turn a profit at an event with food, we are trying to support the event and all people there and involved. If the vendors are there to sell food lets not hurt them by handing out free samples right next door. Let's make it even, they can send out three guys trying to trip you as you turn in your entry boxes!!!! :icon_bigsmil

Papa Hogg
09-22-2008, 10:54 AM
I didn't realize the sign said FU! If that's the case he should have been thrown out of the comp. Are we dealing with facts of what you interpreted the sign as? Congrats on all your walks. But let's be serious for a second as far as the gas station goes. Obviously you never tried to turn a profit at an event with food, we are trying to support the event and all people there and involved. If the vendors are there to sell food lets not hurt them by handing out free samples right next door. Let's make it even, they can send out three guys trying to trip you as you turn in your entry boxes!!!! :icon_bigsmil

Obviously the sign did not say FU, but when you are the only team out of 49 that has a sign that says "no free samples" you might as well.

I admit I have not tried to turn a profit at an event, but I have another interesting example for you. Last year at the Zoo-B-Que in Racine, Florida Skin & Bones were there, they were vending & competing & I was set up 2 spots away from them & they were handing out samples of what they turned in for the competition just like the rest of us & if anything it seemed to have helped their business not hurt it.

afreemaniii
09-22-2008, 11:21 AM
We weren't the ones that posted those signs, but I did see them being carried in on Friday. Since we only had my brother and I on hand to get everything done, we setup our site so that the tables and cookers were back away from the main walkway. We didn't have the manpower to deal with getting meat ready for turn in and with the public coming by for samples. We did give a few out to those that were brave enough to walk back to us and start chatting, but we didn't make it easily accessible. If our wives had been there, then we probably would have placed a table out front and had them be the ambassadors for us, but they didn't come this time. It is a delicate balance between getting spending all your time getting the turn in boxes perfect and appeasing the masses. I'll err on the side of offending a small portion of the public in order to get my turn in boxes right.

Roo-B-Q'N
09-22-2008, 12:38 PM

Don't know about other sactioning bodies, but KCBS can not come to a concensus on wether to allow judges to take food from the judging temt or not. Last I heard it was up to the organizers to dictate this, but strongly suggesting that they not be allowed.
Remember KCBS is not there to tell you what is legal and what is not as far as health codes go. They are hired by the organization to provide a set of ground rules, ensure they are enforced, and provide results. They are not there to tell a contest how they can or can not raise money, or how they need to provide or not provide for the public.

motoeric
09-22-2008, 12:40 PM

We are thinking about having signs made up for the Battle of the BBQ Brethren that say something akin to:

Due to Dept. of Health restrictions, competitors are not allowed to give food to the public.
Thanks you,
The Organizers

We are mostly doing this to put the onus on us as opposed to the teams for those that don't want to feed half of Long Island and we also didn't want to offer false expectations.

Last year we made absolutely NO references that would lead someone to believe that they could come and sample free food and yet some people complained that they couldn't.

Thoughts?

BTW, who is John Galt?

Eric

HolySmoke
09-22-2008, 12:52 PM
i see how this sport fits right into some of my athletic ability - Slowly smelling meat cooking, quickly raising my beer to drink it, then pause to look across the way and see the other team trying to catch up to me, faster i work to drink, then all the split second timing loading the smoker with more wood....

sorry i love que like everyone else here, these a difference between being sporty and being a sport..

oh yeah i don't mind handing out a few things, but all in all we are there to compete not feed people unless you vending.

Papa Hogg
09-22-2008, 01:05 PM
We are thinking about having signs made up for the Battle of the BBQ Brethren that say something akin to:

Due to Dept. of Health restrictions, competitors are not allowed to give food to the public.
Thanks you,
The Organizers

We are mostly doing this to put the onus on us as opposed to the teams for those that don't want to feed half of Long Island and we also didn't want to offer false expectations.

Last year we made absolutely NO references that would lead someone to believe that they could come and sample free food and yet some people complained that they couldn't.

Thoughts?

BTW, who is John Galt?

Eric

That would be fine, if I was told by the organizers that no samples are allowed then those are the rules. My issue was that all the events around here, the organizers tell us that we are allowed to give out samples & even somewhat encourage it. The advertising (radio ads) for some of these events (like this one) even suggest that you will get samples from the cooks.

I wouldn't care if you did not want to hand out samples, just don't put any out & set up your site in a way that you are not accessable to the crowds. My issue I guess was that out of 49 teams 1 team put up a big sign that read No Free Samples.

I compete by myself a 1 man team, don't believe Harbormaster if he tells you that the 3 & 5 year old Piglets do most of the work :wink:, I prepare the turn in boxes & run them to the judges tent. But my favorite part of the contest is interacting with the crowds & sharing my food, the walks & the checks are great but it is sharing the love that these events are about to me, as I have said being an embassador of Q, I guess others have a different opinion.

As for John Galt...read Ayn Rand Atlas Shrugged

gooose53
09-22-2008, 01:41 PM
I've participated in two contests and been at a few others.....none allowed free samples. Most of the ones I've seen are a fund rasier for some organization and if you give all the food away then they don't make any money and may pull out as a contest next year.

Buster Dog BBQ
09-22-2008, 01:51 PM
Last month I had to put a sign up that said "All samples" with an arrow pointing to the vendors and also put up the itinerary. The problem was we were the first on the row and no one knew what was going on and I got sick of people coming by and asking for food or wanting to chat while I was doing my thing.

IMHO I think organizers should put up a sign at the entrance regarding where food can be purchased, teams aren't allowd to provide samples, and what events are going on. Many times the public doesn't know what is happening or what to expect.

I will say I have also had someone take some pork from our turn in box which made me become rude in front of many other people.

Dale P
09-22-2008, 02:12 PM
I was totally surprized to see at a comp we did earlier this year when after turn-ins several teams had people lined up for free samples. I thought that was against the rules, so i asked the organizer if i could give some meat to any of the fine looking ladies that walked by and he said that it was fine.:wink:

I do not mind giving people a snack, but it just didnt seem fair to the vendors imho. If the vendors were to pay a % of the money they make to the organizers instead of a flat fee, things would change.:mrgreen:

If anyone wants a signed glove you can get one for just three easy payments of $4.99 and thats not all you get. You also get a signed beer bottle cap. Hurry while supplies last.

Jeff_in_KC
09-22-2008, 03:47 PM
I ran a press release in our local paper the week of the contest in Pleasant Hill, inviting the public to come out to the fairgrounds and take part in activities, including people's choice and other events but I made two things abundantly clear in the article:

1. Teams will not be allowed to distribute food samples at their sites due to health department regulations and

2. Between the hours of 11 am and 2 pm on saturday, please do not bother teams as that is "crunch time" and the pinnacle of all they've been working for over the last 24 hours.

We had zero complaints that I am aware of. If Matt, Stan, Jeff or Vern heard anything to the contrary, they didn't tell me.

barfly
09-22-2008, 04:47 PM

Thanks you,
The Organizers

Thoughts?

BTW, who is John Galt?

Eric

not a bad idea at all eric. as for last year were many teams giving out samples? if so, there wasn't much impact on the vending from our perspective, we pretty much sold everything we brought, bought, borrowed or stole.

Transformer BBQ
09-22-2008, 08:57 PM
While I 100% understand the frustration paying public has when there aren't samples... I don't think its my responsibility as a team to provide food for the public. But the time contest meat is bought, transported, trimed, rubbed, injected, talked to nice, played nice music... and all the other time and effort we put in, that meat pound for lb is VERY expensive.... I'd honestly rather choose who I'm giving the left overs to.

I don't really have a problem with the sign, as it prevents an awkward and sometimes hostile conversation with people walking around who in most cases drove to the event because of "Come eat the food of the areas top competition pitmasters" that was printed on the ad. So while I do like Eric's version better... I don't have an issue with the no free samples guy.

This past weekend I saw a team put a try of food on a table... in literally 10 seconds a guy walks into the site right buy 5 people he didn't know, takes a handful and walks away... doesn't say a word. To me this is a lot more rude than a sign. Could have been contest turn ins that I guy was getting ready...

KC_Bobby
09-22-2008, 09:11 PM
I will say I have also had someone take some pork from our turn in box which made me become rude in front of many other people.

State Center by chance? We nearly had to fight people off with pigtails and chain mops but fortunately it was after turn ins. We finally gave up and just put a pan of pulled pork out on a table for the horde to devour ... BTW, I think I already have plans that weekend next year.

CivilWarBBQ
09-22-2008, 09:42 PM
Wow - you guys up in Yankeeland sure have some brazen people coming through the public gate! If somebody grabbed turn-in meat when a cook's back was turned around these parts the grabber would be found out behind the porta-potties an hour later pounded flat as a minute steak.

As for the effect of free samples on vendors, I can give you some hard numbers to work with. This year my cooking partner had a separate crew vending at our local contest both Friday and Saturday. Friday the gates were open from 5pm to 10pm, Saturday from 10am to 5pm. The vending booth did twice as much business on Friday as Saturday, despite the fact that the crowd was less than half the size and with fewer selling hours. The difference was that on Saturday the backyard teams were handing out free samples - just three sample tickets were provided with each admission.

So yes, samples do adversely affect the revenue of the vendors. It's all part of the balancing act you have to perform as an organizer. Cooks, Judges, Vendors, Volunteers, the benefiting charity and the Public all are looking for different things out of an event and there are nearly always compromises that make some segment unhappy.

motley que
09-23-2008, 07:07 AM
Last year when vending I had people reach bare handed into my chafing dishes for samples. I then informed them that I could no longer sell that food and they cost me at least $100. The person didn't say sorry and just walked away. This weekend I will place them away from public eyes

Buster Dog BBQ
09-23-2008, 07:22 AM
State Center by chance? We nearly had to fight people off with pigtails and chain mops but fortunately it was after turn ins. We finally gave up and just put a pan of pulled pork out on a table for the horde to devour ... BTW, I think I already have plans that weekend next year.

yep. It gets downright brutal and the crowd there is probably as rude as anyplace. I think everyone who has competed there has a story like that.

Big George's BBQ
09-23-2008, 08:17 AM
I think every contest that I have done over the past two years said no samples to the public because of vendors and potential health problems. There was a man this year that took a rib off of my table and just walked away as if nothing happened. I have often wondered if you are worried about health problems to the public what about the judges.

LindaM
09-23-2008, 08:55 AM

We as KCBS cannot tell the organizers of events what they can and cannot do when it comes to Food. The Board of Health in Parts of NY, NJ, MD (especially), CT, and MA are some of the toughest in the country and they dictate who can feed the public. They will not permit competitors to give samples to the public. The vendors pass inspections that most cooks would never be able to without many additions to their sites. That is why BelAir posted the signs. There have been others in the past here on the East Coast that have done the same. It saves the cooks explaining why constantly. I think it is a great idea.

LindaM
09-23-2008, 09:10 AM
I think every contest that I have done over the past two years said no samples to the public because of vendors and potential health problems. There was a man this year that took a rib off of my table and just walked away as if nothing happened. I have often wondered if you are worried about health problems to the public what about the judges.

As judges you are members of a club, and have agreed to taste this food. The cooks are very sanitary I can assure you, at least when we do inspections, however they do not carry insurance to cover food poisoning all vendors do. We have had many health inspectors want to inspect the cooks at a contest (at a fee for each cook I might add, which ranges from $25 to $125) once we show them our rules regarding food handling, and explain we inspect for this, and the judges are part of a PRIVATE group then they are OK with it. There have been at least 3 contests that were SAVED because of explanations.

Different parts of the country different rules. I feel save with the cooks food, if judges don't maybe they don't belong judging.

Scottie
09-23-2008, 09:28 AM
While I 100% understand the frustration paying public has when there aren't samples... I don't think its my responsibility as a team to provide food for the public. But the time contest meat is bought, transported, trimed, rubbed, injected, talked to nice, played nice music... and all the other time and effort we put in, that meat pound for lb is VERY expensive.... I'd honestly rather choose who I'm giving the left overs to.

I don't really have a problem with the sign, as it prevents an awkward and sometimes hostile conversation with people walking around who in most cases drove to the event because of "Come eat the food of the areas top competition pitmasters" that was printed on the ad. So while I do like Eric's version better... I don't have an issue with the no free samples guy.

I completely agree. I also don't have a problem with a team posting a sign that says they don't have anything to be given away. Heck, I've had people come in and sit down in my spot and start getting all comfortable. A few weeks ago, I had someone starting to walk up my back ramp to my work area, asking me where my samples were. I told them in a few choice words to get off my property...

Jorge
09-23-2008, 09:43 AM
Some folks get too bold. While cutting meat for samples, I had a woman reach onto the cutting board while I was using a razor sharp 10" Chef knife. I told her that we weren't serving Lady Fingers and to wait with everybody else until the meat hit the pan. That was enough for me!

The Giggler
09-23-2008, 09:52 AM
The public is the public. I don't mind answering any questions about method, sauce, rub, wood, cookers, etc. We all have encountered some great people, and of course the other types.

Regarding samples, when we're vending, we get a long dollar for samples. When we're not vending, we just have a party.

There's no doubt. People attending a contest, want a taste - free or otherwise. Talking through that can sometimes be sticky.

BBQchef33
09-23-2008, 10:09 AM

I'm only up to post 21 in this thread, so i apologize if this has been answered, but this was addressed at the KCBS rules meeting and it was decided its best to be left up to the organizers.

afreemaniii
09-23-2008, 10:18 AM
I compete by myself a 1 man team, don't believe Harbormaster if he tells you that the 3 & 5 year old Piglets do most of the work :wink:, I prepare the turn in boxes & run them to the judges tent. But my favorite part of the contest is interacting with the crowds & sharing my food, the walks & the checks are great but it is sharing the love that these events are about to me, as I have said being an embassador of Q, I guess others have a different opinion.

Kudos to you. I don't think I could handle getting everything done for a competition by myself, much less find time to be hospitable to the masses at the same time. I'm thankful my brother and I do it together and that he does the running.

Smoky River BBQ
09-23-2008, 10:23 AM
Should this be an issue the organizers need to emphasize more? I cannot recall at any contest I have been at the issue even being mentioned at the cooks meeting. I honestly feel bad for the public when the ads say come and taste the country's best bbq, but samples from the competitors are sometimes few and far between. I see both sides of the argument about it hurting or not hurting the vendors business. I believe that it is a safe assumption that the vendors know ahead of time that there is a bbq competition going on and samples are a possibility from the cooks. But if the organizer is going to allow this, then it should be made clear at the beginning of the contest (or sooner, if media can be used). The same should be done if the organizer is NOT going to allow samples. At least if everyone knows ahead of time, and everyone follows the same rules and regulations, the cooks don't have to be the "bad guys", and can talk Q with people and not have to worry as much about someone stealing a turn in sample.

Papa Hogg
09-23-2008, 10:52 AM
I told them in a few choice words to get off my property...

I think if you politely tell them that you are busy at the moment & if they could come back in a bit when things die down that would be a better way to handle a situation like this.

For the most part the crowds have been great at the events I have done, you are always going to get a couple that don't have good "social skills", but the same could be said about some cooks...

If the crowds quit coming to events because of the poor attitude of the cooks, then the sponsors go away & the prize money goes away then the contests go away.

Scottie
09-23-2008, 11:02 AM
Honestly, I am not there to make them happy. Now if it was part of our entrance fee to feed the public, then I would probably agree to it. but we aren't required to do that and I want to concentrate on my BBQ. I susually don't have peolle to run interference, so I am going solo. I don't want people feeling they have the right to come and sit down in one of my chairs, underneath my awning so they can relax eating everyone's else's free BBQ.

I also sell off my BBQ leftover's to people that I have lined up. What do I do with the money? I donate it to my foundation for cancer research. So before people want to jump on me for not doing a good thing. I say I am doing a much bigger and better thing.

Scottie

gooose53
09-23-2008, 11:15 AM
I feel bad for the folks coming to a contest and paying a fee to sample and samples are all gone. We cooked 8 butts for a recent contest and samples were given in 2 or 3 oz cups. Within a couple of hours we were out and people were still buying tickets to come in and sample. I don't know of any cook teams in our area that had any samples left.

BBQchef33
09-23-2008, 11:22 AM
not much can be added from me that hasn't already been said or experienced.

Aside form the vendor issues, an board of health issues, heres whats happened here under my tent.. which i will admit, has soured me.

We have had folks walk up, uninvited, to our turnin table and reach for ribs we were choosing from...WTF??

We have had folks get PISSED OFF and start screaming because all I gave them to sample was a sausage link. This was a doosey.. the guy was ranting and raving that no one was giving out samples, so to shut him up, i gave him a sausage from the pit that we were snacking on.. He took the sausage, held it up in the air and started walking down the isle screaming "I paid 8 bucks admission and all i got was a piece of chit sausage"... He was removed from the grounds shortly after that.

At another contest, in early morning, parrothead and I just finished our breakfast.. on our table, INSIDE THE SITE, we had a cutting board with a knife and some fattys on it. One person9little old lady)walked in, picked up the knife, cut a couple pieces off and left. Didn't say a word, and even though we were a few feet away, it was like we were invisible. I had my open trailer then and I was up on top next to the pit. Greg was at the wash station..We watched this... dumbfounded.. mouths hanging wide open.. I was totally farkin speechless and couldn't even get any words out.

Last season, at BOTB, one woman walked up to a tray of pork and with her hands, packed a glad bag with pulled pork and stuffed it into her purse. She then moved onto the brisket tray and did the same thing. I dont mind giving samples, but its rude to think we are a soup kitchen.

Up to a year ago, at the end of the contests, We used to stand there and hand out samples. But it got old. I started getting pissy, that although some folks would come over and ask questions and show some definite interest, the majority would walk up, ask for samples and walk away. Or they show up with a plate, fill them up and not even make eye contact. Sometimes without even a thank you. My attitude stated changing.

Now I have a prerequisite. All it takes is ONE question.. like How do u do that? Or how does that work? or How can I learn? and i will feed you till u burst. But if the first and only thing u say is 'got food?' and dont even break stride as you walk by, waiting to see if I have a chicken thigh waiting for u on a plate... Sorry.. I hate to sound bitter.. but i think the rude ones out number the good ones.

A few contests, i will just leave out the tray and let them have at it.. recently I've stated to bring it home to my mother in law, she lives alone and is 70+. She freezes the stuff and lives off the leoftovers for months.

All that being said..

anyone want a rib?

billm
09-23-2008, 12:00 PM
This weekend at the Big Pig Gig in WI, my wife told me something I have never seen before & I could not really believe it. We had some friends come to the contest on Saturday & while they were all walking around she told me that one of the teams had a sign up that said "No Free Samples". Now if you do not want to give out samples to the crowd that's fine, I do not agree with that & I will touch more on it in a minute, but then just don't put anything out. But to give a big FU to the crowd is just plain wrong IMHO.

We are the embassadors of Q and alot of these people come out to taste our wares & SUPPORT our sport. Obviously our entrance fees do not cover the prize money so in order to hold these events sponsors are needed & crowd suppport for the extra-curriculars is a must. I have seen football, baseball, tennis, golf players all toss ball into the crowd. NASCAR from my understanding allows a lot of access to the drivers ect. to the fans.

I always bring some of what I cook home with me but I love to put out samples for the crowd to enjoy, & enjoy they do! I know that you occasionally get some jag that tries to grab a rib out of your turn in box or something, but for the most part the people are just interested in what we do 7 might be interested in trying something at home themselves. I love to talk with the crowd, I'll talk about my pit, the time it takes to cook the different cuts we turn in, staying up most of the night, ect. If I am busy working on a turn-in I will politely tell someone that I am under a tight time crunch & I would love to talk with them some more in greater detail & share some food with them once I get done what I need to get done, so stop on back.

I personally will put out my samples after each category is turned in, but I understand if you wait until all categories have been turned-in before you put something out. Like I said above if you are really against putting anything out that's your choice, but you do not need to advertise that you could care less about the fans that come out to support our sport, just don't put anything out, if they don't see a tray of food out by you they typically just walk on by.

Am I off base here or what are others thoughts on this???
not everyone wants to give samples out nor should they feel obligated to ..people looking for handouts can be a big pain at turn in time and most dont exercise any form of manners when you are trying to put together your best box..I see no problem hanging a sign..i never have though seeing as i doubt it will stop most people
again if you like handing out samples and taking time away from box making to do this thats fine but not everyone does and shouldnt be judged for not wanting to . I like to devote my full attention to turn in boxes ..the public is not what keeps the competitions going anyway..the comps would be there whether they would show or not
and as far as just not putting a tray out ..well ive never seen that prompt people to keep walking..in fact most will come right into your site asking for samples tray or no tray ..at least the comps ive cooked in
ive tried to be polite and explain that we are in middle of turn in and to come back later but no one ever does

Harbormaster
09-23-2008, 12:04 PM
Here's my take.
I didn't see the sign, so I take Papa's word that it said "No Free Samples". I fully understand not wanting to give out samples, just hang a polite sign mmmkay?
I have only done one comp, and Divemaster can attest to people "shoehorning" their way in between our tables while prepping turn-in boxes. Dive did ask them to leave, but nothing was taken from our tables that I know of.
Now, I did set out leftover chicken and ribs, however the pork and brisket went home with me and Pimp. It fed me for well over a week. It's a lot of $$$ to do a comp, and frankly I can't afford to just give it all away.
That's all I have to say about that.

Sidw
09-23-2008, 12:10 PM

If the crowds quit coming to events because of the poor attitude of the cooks, then the sponsors go away & the prize money goes away then the contests go away.

If a cook/team decides they prefer to stay focused on the competion (the reason they paid big bucks to be there) and not focused on the people that could careless about the team's outcome & feel the free food is an entitlement I have a hard time labeling them as having a poor attitude.

Teams that compete regularly spend thousands on dollars of equipment, meat, supplies, travel, classes, entry fees...........they should allowed to compete without people stealing food.

I very much enjoy talking with the crowd before and after, but I am there to compete - not entertain the masses.

I think it is the is the organizer's & sponsors job to make the event profitable not the cooks. We have paid a share already.

BBQchef33
09-23-2008, 12:56 PM
If a cook/team decides they prefer to stay focused on the competion (the reason they paid big bucks to be there) and not focused on the people that could careless about the team's outcome & feel the free food is an entitlement I have a hard time labeling them as having a poor attitude.

amen.:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

butts a fire
09-23-2008, 01:01 PM
Interesting thread, Here is my take and experience for what it's worth. I do not hand out samples to strangers, if the contest does a peoples choice and I have the man power I will participate in that. I guess I am one of the lucky ones but I have never had someone take something from my area let alone coming into my space. I do talk to the public when they are walking around and ask a question, but that is about it.

I also try to educate anyone that I am talking to about going to contests that the competitors are for the most part not going to be passing out free food and at a lot of contests in this are they are not allowed to due to the health code. I think that public education by the organizers is key when they advertise the contest they should make it clear whether or not the competitors will be passing out samples and if there will be vendors or a peoples choice.

timzcardz
09-23-2008, 01:06 PM
I will be doing my first competition next month, along with my son, a brother and his son. I have no intention of giving out food to the public, well except maybe for halloween candy to kids. We will be there to have fun. From a liability standpoint I don't intend to get grouped in with others in an investigation if people become ill, just because I gave some food out. It isn't worth it. I am also not going to put myself in a position where I can potentially be fined by the local health department because I am not licensed to serve the public. Either one of these things would put a damper on our objective to have fun.

To address a couple of things in the intial post . . .

We are the embassadors of Q and alot of these people come out to taste our wares & SUPPORT our sport. Obviously our entrance fees do not cover the prize money so in order to hold these events sponsors are needed & crowd suppport for the extra-curriculars is a must.

The sponsors are there for the opportunity that they get to put their name and/or product before the crowd. Teams and team's BBQ are not their product.

I have seen football, baseball, tennis, golf players all toss ball into the crowd.

Yes, but the players aren't paying for the balls. It's really easy to be friendly giving away other people's stuff.

If it will make someone happy though, I'll toss them a briquet. Heck, I'll even make it an unlit one!

NASCAR from my understanding allows a lot of access to the drivers ect. to the fans.

I didn't realize that they do this during the race now!

Papa Hogg
09-23-2008, 01:34 PM
If a cook/team decides they prefer to stay focused on the competion (the reason they paid big bucks to be there) and not focused on the people that could careless about the team's outcome

That has not been my experience at all...this past weekend I had no less than 15 - 20 people ask what my team name was so they could root for me during the awards ceremony & they were there & did. After the awards when I was back finishing breaking down my site I had about 10 of them come back to my site to congratulate me on my 2 walks & tell me I deserved more. I had the same experience in Princeton a few weeks ago as well as last year and at the zoo-b-que last year.

I would also say that over 70% of the people that get a sample from me will say at the very least "very good, thank you" and then go on their way.

I am by no means a people person, I typically can not stand 99.5% of the population, but I have had nothing but positive experiences with the crowds at any of the competitions that I have done, which has shocked me.

BBQchef33
09-23-2008, 03:37 PM
sounds like your an ol' softee there Poppa Hog. :)

motoeric
09-23-2008, 04:05 PM
Maybe teams that enjoy giving away samples should do so at the awards ceremony instead of during the day. And let the public know. Generate some bigger crowds.

Just a thought (and probably not a good one).

Eric

tonto1117
09-23-2008, 05:04 PM
Somhow I think this has never been and issue for Willie B........ :shock::biggrin:

http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/2537/williebjl1.jpg

Sledneck
09-23-2008, 06:17 PM
Somhow I think this has never been and issue for Willie B........ :shock::biggrin:

http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/2537/williebjl1.jpgGood one!!!

KC_Bobby
09-23-2008, 07:44 PM
I went to Green Bay once and I think makes me an expert on one important variable regarding this very matter. :biggrin:

Wisconsin people are nice, they have polite conversations, they buy people drinks, they feed people, they'll lend you their snowmobile or deer rifle (as long as they don't have plans on using either in the next 5 minutes) - the rest of the country just doesn't work that way.

QDoc
09-23-2008, 08:42 PM
I don't know of any entertainment events (there may be a few) where the admission ticket entitles the purchaser access to the back stage, dressing room or on the sidelines. Recently a competitor had his brisket stolen prior to turn in. People will take advantage and unsolicited liberties which frankly I find unwelcome. I recently took my grandchildren to an outdoor sculpture park. Signs were posted " Do not touch or climb on the sculptures". The sculptures were there for exhibition only. At a contest the cookers are there for exhibition. The entry fee says nothing about giving free samples to the patrons. In my opinion, except for a clearly delineated walk way which may afford the patrons the ability to observe the activities, they should not be allowed to enter the cooking areas except by invitation only. If the organizer and participants wish to offer samples to the public they should ask those willing to provide the samples to the organizer for distribution to the public. The organizer could also provide cooking demonstrations. I don't think the teams should feel obligated to provide samples nor should they be made to feel guilty for their refusal to do so.
My opinion but I respect yours.

watertowerbbq
09-23-2008, 10:02 PM
When I cook at a contest and am sweating like a pig, I thought it was because I was fat. I didn't realize I was competing in a sport! :eek::icon_blush::eek:

Big George's BBQ
09-24-2008, 08:50 AM
Ron good one on WI. The problem with samples is that once you start then you have to do so with everyone. The contest that I have been in discourrage it. I do like the idea of a posted sign

txschutte
09-24-2008, 09:08 AM
Due to the deal I have with the sponsors, I do not give out samples. My sponsors know that the leftovers are reserved for them. I have been called an A-hole for not letting the crowd get a share.

I simply run barricade ribbon around my site, and set my tables back far enough to allow someone to watch, but not within arms reach.
In the evening on Fri., the canopy walls go up. Other competitors go in and out of the barricade to visit, etc. But the public hasn't had the stones to cross......YET.

Brauma
09-24-2008, 09:52 AM
At the last comp I did a friend of mine showed up and demanded to be fed! :eek: It really took me by surprise. I thought he was kidding at first but he was dead serious. He started telling me how much he paid to get himself, his wife and two kids in, and how he had walked around and no-one was giving out samples. He was hungry and pissed!! :lol:

Now, since he was a friend of mine I had no trouble hooking him up with some Q. I also gave him some grief for his attitude.

Maybe this is the spectator's perspective. Maybe they aren't told upon entrance that BBQ doesn't come with the admission price. Maybe they need to be told as such.

Sledneck
09-24-2008, 12:36 PM
Maybe this is the spectator's perspective. Maybe they aren't told upon entrance that BBQ doesn't come with the admission price. Maybe they need to be told as such.

Good point. Here is an account of what happened to me last weekend.

Guy walks up to my tent and is just standing there staring at me

Me: Can I help you?
Him: I am here to try your food, what you got?
Me: I do not give out food
Him:Puzzled look on his face, why not?
Me: The event has vendors that are selling food
Him: Gives me a dirty look and walks away

Harbormaster
09-24-2008, 12:55 PM
Ummmm shining is illegal ... Only if you have a firearm in your vehicle.

Hey now, I live in Dane County. The whole county isn't full of raging liberals. There are a few level minded people here that put up with the rest of the BS. Freeman Brothers BBQ and Jellyroll Jones BBQ both come from Dane County. I think we're both pretty nice teams. You are correct Aubrey. My sincerest apologies. As a conservative I should know better than to generalize. I actually met a like-minded person while walking to a Badger football game a few weeks ago. She was as stunned as I was.

Back on topic - After reading some of the posts here, I have to agree that if someone shows some interest (more than just wanting to get fed) in what goes on at a comp, and is genuinely curious about the smokers, process, etc... they're far more likely to get samples. One guy who did this came back after turn ins were done to tell me I had the best brisket he got to taste. (chest thump mod)

afreemaniii
09-24-2008, 01:04 PM
You are correct Aubrey. My sincerest apologies. As a conservative I should know better than to generalize. I actually met a like-minded person while walking to a Badger football game a few weeks ago. She was as stunned as I was.

I took no offense from your generalization. I've met you and know that you don't really think all people from Dane county are crazy, but others on the forum might not be familiar with whole story.

Back on topic - After reading some of the posts here, I have to agree that if someone shows some interest (more than just wanting to get fed) in what goes on at a comp, and is genuinely curious about the smokers, process, etc... they're far more likely to get samples. One guy who did this came back after turn ins were done to tell me I had the best brisket he got to taste. (chest thump mod)

Was that guy given a drug test afterwards? You must have put something illegal in that brisket. Just kidding. You smoked us in brisket at Princeton so I'm sure he wasn't kidding.

The few people that did take the time to get back to where we were setup in our site did ask legitimate questions and appeared to have an interest deeper than filling their stomachs in Menomonee Falls. Those people are more than welcomed to stop by and perhaps even get a beer while we chat.

Sidw
09-24-2008, 01:20 PM
Dang - nobody ever stops and ask us questions on how we do stuff - as a matter of fact the crowd usually brings us samples from the other teams. They must be trying to tell us something. I guess we need to work on our product a bit morehttp://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/images/icons/icon8.gif

watertowerbbq
09-24-2008, 08:07 PM
Papa Hogg,

The more I've thought about this thread the more upset I've gotten. :mad: My first complaint is that if you had such a strong feeling about this then why didn't you stop all of your bbq promotion and just go and ask the team why they put the sign up? From what I read, you didn't even take the time to go and see the sign for yourself! :eek::mad:

What support do we get from the FANS? I think the analogy of professional athletes and those cooking at a local competition is far fetched except for a VERY FEW national teams.....you know, the ones that end up on the Food Network.

I don't get paid to feed other people. For most competitors, taking a walk and getting back enough money to cover expenses doesn't happen. Now I need to feed the FANS? I've never competed in a contest where they charged admission, but that's the organizers money, not mine. If you want me to cook for the public, compensate me.

You are entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to mine, but just because you choose to do something, don't get cranky when I and others don't choose to do the same.

The team with the sign didn't do anything wrong.

Papa Hogg
09-25-2008, 07:57 AM
Papa Hogg,

The more I've thought about this thread the more upset I've gotten. :mad: My first complaint is that if you had such a strong feeling about this then why didn't you stop all of your bbq promotion and just go and ask the team why they put the sign up? From what I read, you didn't even take the time to go and see the sign for yourself! :eek::mad:

What support do we get from the FANS? I think the analogy of professional athletes and those cooking at a local competition is far fetched except for a VERY FEW national teams.....you know, the ones that end up on the Food Network.

I don't get paid to feed other people. For most competitors, taking a walk and getting back enough money to cover expenses doesn't happen. Now I need to feed the FANS? I've never competed in a contest where they charged admission, but that's the organizers money, not mine. If you want me to cook for the public, compensate me.

You are entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to mine, but just because you choose to do something, don't get cranky when I and others don't choose to do the same.

The team with the sign didn't do anything wrong.

My wife didn't tell me about the sign until we got home, otherwise I would have gone to see it for myself & I would have asked them why they put the sign up. I would have even suggested that if they don't like the public "bothering" them maybe they should not compete in the public arena.

If you continued to read my post I said that I do not have an issue if you do not want to put samples out & I understand that there are reasons some teams do not, then just don't do it. My issue was that the organizers told us that samples were permitted & the radio ads for this event would have lead the people coming to the event to believe that they may get to taste bbq from 60 competition teams from across the USA.

As far as people supporting our sport...do you know how many people have told me that they have seen these things on the Food Network & had to come out to see it for themselves? If these people quit coming out and paying their money to the organizers & the event sponsors then the prize money goes away, & would you go to an event that had no purse or a very small purse. I've seen posts on this site where guys won't waste their time on non-sanctioned events, or that would not cross the street to compete for the chance to win $100.

I thought the spirit of the Brethren was to be Ambassadors of "Q" I think people need to reread the opening paragraph about who we are:

"Welcome to the BBQ Brethren. We are an Online BBQ community dedicated to the teaching, promoting and growth of the Art of BBQ. We are here for both the backyard enthusiast and seasoned veteran. We have membership ranging from the Backyard to the American Royal. Our goal: To help anyone who comes in to make the best BBQ they ever produced, whether it be for your family, your friends or the KCBS judge,a nd at the same time, build lasting friendships and a commaraderie that makes us stand out from other internet forums."

I guess I took this to mean to anyone that shows an interest in bbq not just to those that are members of this site, but I guess I was wrong. Joe public is just an annoyance to us and we should not waste our time with them.

billm
09-25-2008, 08:08 AM
I think you just need to continue what you want to do as far as samples and let others continue to do what they want..if it makes you feel good do it..but to attempt to sway others to your line of thinking or pass judgement on them is ludicrous..
and personallyi think you would have been overstepping your bounds a bit going over and asking someone why they have the sign up..what would be gained by that?

Jorge
09-25-2008, 08:19 AM
Before this goes ANY FURTHER I'm going to remind EVERYONE to keep it civil or keep it to yourself. That is not a request.

Brauma
09-25-2008, 08:40 AM
I wouldnt sweat it, Papa. I'm just glad that you've never had a bad experience with the public.

INHO, a lot of it has to do with alcohol. Drunks have no consideration for anyone or anything. They're hungry and smell the smoke and all that great BBQ... and caveman instincts take over - mmmm, meat, grab, good. :lol:

The more I think of it the more I think my previous post is right on: People pay to get in, and they think BBQ comes with the admission. Unless they are explicitly told differently, its easy to assume that if you pay to get into a BBQ contest, you're gonna be treated with some good BBQ with the price of your ticket.

Jeff_in_KC
09-25-2008, 08:57 AM
Again, this falls back on the organizers to be responsible and let the public know that BBQ samples from teams are not allowed. Or if they do allow it, provide signage to teams that DO participate so the public knows where to go. I made it clear in the newspaper and on flyers in businesses. It's not that difficult to do. If organizers are inviting the public for any reason and don't make this very clear ahead of time, they're irresponsible and doing a big disservice to both teams and the public.

txschutte
09-25-2008, 09:16 AM
I wouldnt sweat it, Papa. I'm just glad that you've never had a bad experience with the public.

INHO, a lot of it has to do with alcohol. Drunks have no consideration for anyone or anything. They're hungry and smell the smoke and all that great BBQ... and caveman instincts take over - mmmm, meat, grab, good. :lol:

The more I think of it the more I think my previous post is right on: People pay to get in, and they think BBQ comes with the admission. Unless they are explicitly told differently, its easy to assume that if you pay to get into a BBQ contest, you're gonna be treated with some good BBQ with the price of your ticket.I beleive you are spot on the mark. Two contests I participate in yearly are 2 weeks apart. The first, people are charged at the door, and are paying to eat BBQ from all competitors. The organizer pays for the meat, I get paid(albeit a small amount, that is usually donated back to the VFD). I talk to the publec ALOT about our rigs, techniques, and generally anything BBQ. This contest is one of my favorite.
The next, I pay for all meats. I pay entry fees. I don't get paid to feed poeple. But the public seems to expect to be fed as at the first contest. Why? The organizer doesn't explicitly note that competitors aren't serving.

Again, this falls back on the organizers to be responsible and let the public know that BBQ samples from teams are not allowed. Or if they do allow it, provide signage to teams that DO participate so the public knows where to go. I made it clear in the newspaper and on flyers in businesses. It's not that difficult to do. If organizers are inviting the public for any reason and don't make this very clear ahead of time, they're irresponsible and doing a big disservice to both teams and the public.
Just another note. As competitors, it takes our voices to let organizers know our gripes about their contest. If their ads lead the public to believe they are about to be fed, and we don't want to be bothered by John Q. Public, maybe we should compete somewhere else.

TN_BBQ
09-25-2008, 09:38 AM
The sign would not offend me. In fact, I'm thinking of getting one myself and mailing a copy to my buddies.

I can't afford to feed everybody and their brother.

It's not my fault that people show up expecting to eat free BBQ. In fact, I think the "no free samples" model is the norm when it comes to competitions.

BearCat
09-25-2008, 09:46 AM
We typically always give samples as we have so much to go around. I never even gave thought to the vendors there which is a good point, wrt food poisoning and lawyers, it would be very difficult to determine which sample caused it if everyone gave samples.

As for the term Hillbilly, My name is Bill and I live on a hill. So I think I qualify

Papa Hogg
09-25-2008, 09:48 AM
I can't afford to feed everybody and their brother.

In fact, I think the "no free samples" model is the norm when it comes to competitions.

Not up here...in fact at the comp I'm doing this weekend, if they hold true to what they have done the last 2 years, is they ask us to give out samples & then they give us a "tip jar" to help raise money for the zoo.

How much $$$ do you spend on meat, the last 2 comps I have done my meat bill was $75 (2 butts, 1- 15 lb brisket, 3 slabs spares & 16 thighs) & I gave out samples, but I also brough home 1 full butt, almost a full slab of ribs & about 2 lbs. of brisket, I gave away all the chicken I did not turn in.

TN_BBQ
09-25-2008, 10:54 AM
How much $$$ do you spend on meat, the last 2 comps I have done my meat bill was $75 (2 butts, 1- 15 lb brisket, 3 slabs spares & 16 thighs) & I gave out samples, but I also brough home 1 full butt, almost a full slab of ribs & about 2 lbs. of brisket, I gave away all the chicken I did not turn in.

As you know, meat is only part of the cost of competing.

I too have been to what we call "catering competitions" as well as "no samples" competitions. Each is fine so long as John Q. Public understands what the deal is.

To speak to the original issue. Even if it was a "catering competition" where folks were giving/selling samples, I don't think it's out of order for a team to opt out and post a sign letting folks know where they stand (it'd drive me crazy having to answer that question all weekend long).

Bottom line, the organizers need to decide what they want and help all parties understand what is expected.

MattCom
09-25-2008, 07:12 PM
We dont offer samples, but I am willing allow 2 people to slug it out for an overcooked rib or two.:icon_cool:biggrin:

scottyd
09-25-2008, 08:59 PM
No free samples, but a good hot oil wrestling match with a few good looking gals and I'd give up my pulled pork!! and a rib or 2.

This is way out of control here. this thread needs to relax.

motoeric
09-25-2008, 09:46 PM
If you were an organizer, what phrasing would you use on signs?

I'm thinking something like:

Due to Dept. of Health Regulations, teams are not allowed to give food samples to the public.

Please visit our BBQ vendors on the north side of the park.

Thoughts?

Eric

Dustaway
09-25-2008, 09:48 PM
When I get asked for free sample I tell them " If you want free samples go judge"

Dustaway
09-25-2008, 09:49 PM

Due to Dept. of Health Regulations, teams are not allowed to give food samples to the public.

Thoughts?

Eric

yea great idea run with it would solve alot of problems

txschutte
09-25-2008, 09:50 PM

Thoughts?

EricConcise, and to the point. Perfect.

Jeff_in_KC
09-25-2008, 09:52 PM

Our meat bill runs close to $190 - About $60 for two briskets, $60 for six slabs of ribs, $55 for four pork butts and $16 for 20 thighs. Pork prices around here are getting nuts! almost as high as brisket anymore.

And motoeric, that sign is perfect!

Big George's BBQ
09-26-2008, 06:49 AM

I like this. I do not give away samples, and I also do not like to have to say No. A sign would save a lot of explaining

afreemaniii
09-26-2008, 10:06 AM

Thoughts?

Eric

I actually made signs that said almost the exact same thing for out first contest. I made them because I was pretty certain that is what the law is in the state of Wisconsin and I didn't want to risk it.

I think this thread brings up a question I haven't seen answered. If a contest allows free samples and someone comes down ill, who does the sick person go after? In today's lawsuit happy environment, someone would be getting sued.

Harbormaster
09-26-2008, 10:19 AM
I think this thread brings up a question I haven't seen answered. If a contest allows free samples and someone comes down ill, who does the sick person go after? In today's lawsuit happy environment, someone would be getting sued. Good point. Unless a person who got sick on food from the contest can prove they only ate samples from one team, they would have no recourse but to go after the organizers or the event itself. Just my $.02

Jeff_in_KC
09-26-2008, 10:53 AM
I THINK that's why KCBS requires organizers to have proof of insurance on file.

MattCom
09-26-2008, 03:14 PM
Good sign Eric, I can imagine a cartoon Pig in a police uniform shaking his finger at you.... quick someone get sketching.