PDA

View Full Version : Roadside vending

smokinit
09-19-2008, 08:51 PM
Well our first week vending went very well. We did two days last week and three this week and already ticked off two restaurant owners and a roach coach operator. Our lunch menu is pulled pork,pulled beef,pulled chicken,man beans:mrgreen:, pulled pork nachos ,salads,smoked chicken salad wraps and fresh smoked german sausage along with chips and varios drinks. Dinners are half chicken, Spare ribs,Brisket,smoked stuffed meatloaf, and more to come. Doing good Q 4 to 5 days in a row is alot of work but very rewarding when the compliments and repeat customers keep rolling in.The phone orders and deliveries have already started also. There is also an old walkin cooler on site I will be aload to fix and use which will greatly easy my storage problems. This thing is getting going allitle faster than I expected.

BBQ Grail
09-19-2008, 08:59 PM
Sounds like something I'd sure like to try. What fun. How about some pictures of your set-up?

Forney
09-19-2008, 09:03 PM
Pics!! We want pics!!

smokinit
09-19-2008, 09:06 PM
Ya I know I have them just have to have the time probably sunday while I am doing sales tax Fun Fun.

Forney
09-19-2008, 09:10 PM
Looking forward to them. Thanks!

Roo-B-Q'N
09-20-2008, 12:17 AM
Very nice, I have been thinking about doing something like this.
Are you able to do this through the winter??? What are your hours and what days.
Looking forward to the pictures of your set up as well

Qcrue2U
09-20-2008, 03:52 AM
Congrats man!!! pics please :)

Cabntmkr1
09-20-2008, 06:48 AM
..."and already ticked off two restaurant owners and a roach coach operator".
How did you do that? :shock:
Anything in particular, or just by being a competitor?:twisted::mrgreen:

...smoked chicken salad wraps...
Sounds really good... can a brother get you to post the recipe????:grin:

Congratulations on your well-deserved success!

Spydermike72
09-20-2008, 07:47 AM
Let's hear about your bean recipe...

smokinit
09-20-2008, 08:05 AM
How did you do that? :shock:
Anything in particular, or just by being a competitor?:twisted::mrgreen:

Sounds really good... can a brother get you to post the recipe????:grin:

Congratulations on your well-deserved success!

Yup:biggrin: bean recipe is as follows I use bushes pulled pork and brisket about a half a cup each mustard,BBQ regular and spicy, sauce,vadalia onions,my rub,bacon and atleast 4 hrs cooking under butts and brisket. The seconday on theses and they are even better

smokinit
09-20-2008, 08:07 AM
Very nice, I have been thinking about doing something like this.
Are you able to do this through the winter??? What are your hours and what days.
Looking forward to the pictures of your set up as well

I while take it as long as I can keep the watersystem in the truck warm. My hours are wednesday thru saturday unless I have a catering gig.11 to 6.

cmcadams
09-20-2008, 08:15 AM
Until there are pics, this is all in your mind. :)

smokinit
09-20-2008, 08:18 AM
Until there are pics, this is all in your mind. :)

Ok you caught me:lol:

cmcadams
09-20-2008, 08:24 AM
I'm not calling you a liar... just saying pics need to be seen! :)

smokinit
09-20-2008, 08:33 AM
I'm not calling you a liar... just saying pics need to be seen! :)

I know I am just being funny:mrgreen:

Marsha
09-20-2008, 12:40 PM
Well our first week vending went very well. We did two days last week and three this week and already ticked off two restaurant owners and a roach coach operator. Our lunch menu is pulled pork,pulled beef,pulled chicken,man beans:mrgreen:, pulled pork nachos ,salads,smoked chicken salad wraps and fresh smoked german sausage along with chips and varios drinks. Dinners are half chicken, Spare ribs,Brisket,smoked stuffed meatloaf, and more to come. Doing good Q 4 to 5 days in a row is alot of work but very rewarding when the compliments and repeat customers keep rolling in.The phone orders and deliveries have already started also. There is also an old walkin cooler on site I will be aload to fix and use which will greatly easy my storage problems. This thing is getting going allitle faster than I expected.

Congratulations! Sounds like you are already popular with those who know good food. It can only get better :-D

Bbq Bubba
09-20-2008, 01:48 PM
When you post pics, maybe you could share with us what was involved in getting ready to vend.

Licenses, permits, inspections, etc. :biggrin:

I know its different everywhere but would like to heat about your situation! :biggrin:

smokinit
09-21-2008, 04:29 PM
When you post pics, maybe you could share with us what was involved in getting ready to vend.

Licenses, permits, inspections, etc. :biggrin:

I know its different everywhere but would like to heat about your situation! :biggrin:

Pics will be a few days I think the camera grapped out on me will have to take some more this week. In NY you need a mobile vending permit which is $30 dollars and since I have a truck built to their specs a preinspection was not needed. I had to get wriiten permission from the land owner were I am vending at and a town permit from the clerks office for $75.00 for the the first month and then half of that each month after that. I was inspected already and will be once a month and once you know what they are looking for it's qiute easy to comply.It was quite easy if you have the write equipment and a good spot. Hope this helps.

MrMike
09-21-2008, 10:16 PM
If you don't mind my askin' (and you may PM me if need be), but where can you be found?
I'm all over the the mid Hudson area (I live in lower Dutchess county) on the weekends...

jbrink01
09-21-2008, 10:36 PM
You have a pretty big menu. We cooked as follows Friday and Saturday this week.
14 Butts, 12 Brisket, Burnt Ends, 12 Slabs, Tips, 40 Bratwurst, 30 4:1 Beef Weiners, 40 Pork Steaks, 12 Chickens, Beans, Potato Salad, Slaw

Butts-n-gutts
09-21-2008, 10:44 PM
List where you are located, I have a brother living in Coxsackie, I'll tell him to check you out

Roy Kennedy
09-22-2008, 05:45 AM
Awesome . You definetly need pictures !! Where are you guys set up I want to stop by for some grub .
Roy

smokinit
09-22-2008, 08:01 AM
If you don't mind my askin' (and you may PM me if need be), but where can you be found?
I'm all over the the mid Hudson area (I live in lower Dutchess county) on the weekends...

I am between catskill and coxsackie on 9w by the Drivein theater about 2miles before coxsackie if you are heading north on 9w. Come on down!!

smokinit
09-22-2008, 08:04 AM
You have a pretty big menu. We cooked as follows Friday and Saturday this week.
14 Butts, 12 Brisket, Burnt Ends, 12 Slabs, Tips, 40 Bratwurst, 30 4:1 Beef Weiners, 40 Pork Steaks, 12 Chickens, Beans, Potato Salad, Slaw

Thats a good day of cooking. are you doing whle or half chicken.

smokinit
09-22-2008, 08:06 AM
List where you are located, I have a brother living in Coxsackie, I'll tell him to check you out

What a small world thats to funny. I will be open wednesday thru saturday have him introduce himself i will hook him up. My location is on the post before this one.

jbrink01
09-22-2008, 09:21 AM
Thats a good day of cooking. are you doing whle or half chicken.

We do some halves, and some quarters. $4 a quarter, $6 a half. Add $3 to add 2 sides and make it a meal. Typical profit margin is 100%. The rest of our pricing as follows, with the $3 more for a meal carried throughout.

Ribs - $16 a slab, Tips - $5, Pulled Pork and Brisket $5, 16oz Pork Steak - $5, Brat - $3, Hot Dog $2, Pulled Pork and Brisket by the pound - $10

smokinit
09-22-2008, 02:48 PM
We do some halves, and some quarters. $4 a quarter, $6 a half. Add $3 to add 2 sides and make it a meal. Typical profit margin is 100%. The rest of our pricing as follows, with the $3 more for a meal carried throughout.

Ribs - $16 a slab, Tips - $5, Pulled Pork and Brisket $5, 16oz Pork Steak - $5, Brat - $3, Hot Dog $2, Pulled Pork and Brisket by the pound - $10

Thats close to what I am at Ribs $6 1/4 rack $12 half $23 full regular pulled pork sammie $5 large $7 Smoked german sausage $6 half chicken dinner $12 Rib dinner $15 chicken and rib $17 brisket $16 comes with choice of two sides and drink.Sides are $1.50 for the salads and $2.00 for the man beans. Going to do some specials thursday and friday nights like stuffed meat loaf,ham, or turkey as the holidays approach. Figuring out amounts to minize waste is the hardest thing now but I guess that will come as I build regular customers over time

jbrink01
09-22-2008, 04:33 PM
I started small, and always try to run out. I don't have a closing time. When I'm out I leave. 2 reasons, the rush starts early and I run out faster, so I can leave earlier, and, it leaves 'em wanting more!

Right now I am at by fec 500 capacity. Saturday morning I pulled in at 6:30am and had a guy waiting for brisket!! We were out of food by 1:00pm.

MrsMista
09-22-2008, 06:23 PM
I'm excited to see others making money off roadside. Bigmista and I are planning to do markets to start and then grow from their. I'm sure he will be just as happy as you all are to be out of an office.

Can either of you tell me how you come up with your pricing? I get on Bigmista because I say he pulls numbers out of his a$$.

txschutte
09-22-2008, 06:25 PM
I say he pulls numbers out of his a$$.
Dayum!!! Thats a lotta numbahs!!!:lol:

Countryhb
09-22-2008, 06:41 PM
Dayum!!! Thats a lotta numbahs!!!:lol:
You beat me to the punch, you farker!!

Marsha
09-22-2008, 07:32 PM
I'm excited to see others making money off roadside. Bigmista and I are planning to do markets to start and then grow from their. I'm sure he will be just as happy as you all are to be out of an office.

Can either of you tell me how you come up with your pricing? I get on Bigmista because I say he pulls numbers out of his a$$.

I feel your pain. I can't tell you how many arguments, errrr... discussions, I have had with my darling husband over vending prices.

Looking forward to the answer to your question. :)

smokinit
09-22-2008, 08:29 PM
I talk to many people on many forums over much of the country and then looked at what my costs are in my great state of NY which are higher than most and winged it from there.

smokinit
09-24-2008, 07:11 PM
Here is a pic of the site we are at.
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r134/smokinit/100_0791.jpg

Rightstuff
09-24-2008, 07:23 PM
Excellent. I have thought about doing something like this a million times. Glad to see that somebody is successfully doing this. I got a few years until retirement, I'll probably just wait until then. Meanwhile I'll just do fairs, etc.

Muzzlebrake
09-24-2008, 08:15 PM
you doing any cooking onsite or do you fire it all up in the trailer at home?
do you let the public know about the kegerator inside the truck??LOL

looks good man, congrats!

jbrink01
09-24-2008, 08:36 PM
I feel your pain. I can't tell you how many arguments, errrr... discussions, I have had with my darling husband over vending prices.

Looking forward to the answer to your question. :)

We took our totall costs for the day - labor, fuel, pellets, supplies, all groceries - everything, except the trailer and truck x 2 at a minimum. We then compared our prices to the local sit down place, made sure we charged just as much (ours is better), made the servings large and took off.

smokinit
09-24-2008, 08:58 PM
you doing any cooking onsite or do you fire it all up in the trailer at home?
do you let the public know about the kegerator inside the truck??LOL

looks good man, congrats!

Hey Sean everything is done on site the truck stays there now. I also have a walkin cooler on site I am fixing just got a good used compressor for it from a local restaurant owner/friend of mine. I get to have my driveway and yard back.The real money is in the side beer sales:mrgreen:

Brian in So Cal
10-04-2008, 03:45 PM
can either of you tell me how you come up with your pricing? I get on bigmista because i say he pulls numbers out of his a$$.

ouch!! Lol

Brian in So Cal
10-04-2008, 03:47 PM
Smokinit, that is a cool setup.

hoverlover
10-06-2008, 01:15 AM
Are you able to do this through the winter???

I will be starting my vending operation in December and will be open through the winter. I can post updates for those like yourself whom might be interested.

big brother smoke
10-06-2008, 12:15 PM
I will be starting my vending operation in December and will be open through the winter. I can post updates for those like yourself whom might be interested.

Yes we would love to hear updates and see pics!

MrsMista
10-06-2008, 03:51 PM
We took our totall costs for the day - labor, fuel, pellets, supplies, all groceries - everything, except the trailer and truck x 2 at a minimum. We then compared our prices to the local sit down place, made sure we charged just as much (ours is better), made the servings large and took off.

See. I tried to explain to thick Mista to factor in cost and then go from there but will he listen... (%&*$&#^@

Mrs. tx
10-06-2008, 03:59 PM
See. I tried to explain to thick Mista to factor in cost and then go from there but will he listen... (%&*$&#^@
Shane is a bit anal in figures. He gripes about his operating costs being higher than the competition, who uses only gas. His prices are higher, but he seems to be slowly pushing the other guy out of business.

thebbqdude
10-13-2008, 02:34 PM
Anyone done this out of just an EZ up?

Bbq Bubba
10-13-2008, 03:43 PM
Anyone done this out of just an EZ up?

Yup.....

thebbqdude
10-13-2008, 04:16 PM
Its not allowing me to see your attached picture

Marsha
10-14-2008, 04:15 PM
Good job!

But, if you were in our area the HD would require a screened room for you to serve the food out of. We have a screened room that attaches to our BBQ trailer. But, for small events we have a screen that goes on an EZ-Up. Oh, and they would also require a ground cover. I wish I had your HD! :-D

smokinit
10-29-2008, 07:21 PM
Well guy's the first month has been all over the place. It's been a real learning expeirence and now I have been aproached by another local business man and I am moving my spot closer to my village and across the road from alot of new commercial constuction. I just put in a gravel parking lot today by hand man am I out off shape.I now have a light up sign to use and a 220 hookup to run my truck 24/7. When I recover from this move I will post additional info and pics from the new spot and what I have learned over the last month.

Spydermike72
10-29-2008, 08:13 PM
Good job!

But, if you were in our area the HD would require a screened room for you to serve the food out of. We have a screened room that attaches to our BBQ trailer. But, for small events we have a screen that goes on an EZ-Up. Oh, and they would also require a ground cover. I wish I had your HD! :-D

They mentioned the sides, but they let us slide. We had ground cover, it is astro turf...

Roo-B-Q'N
12-02-2008, 01:46 PM
Bump

Come on guys I am living vicariously(sp) through you. What has been happening on the roadside?

Divemaster
12-05-2008, 04:39 PM
Bump

Come on guys I am living vicariously(sp) through you. What has been happening on the roadside?

Your not the only one!!!

smokinit
12-06-2008, 01:51 PM
Sorry guy's have been alittle buys setting up the new spot and trying to decide wheather to stay open a few days a week and brave the months of January and Feb and throw in that I have been out of commision for two weeks with a broken face yup thats what I said. Just getting off the pain meds and getting back to work. I will get some updated stuff soon.:biggrin:PS that smile hurt:mrgreen:

Roo-B-Q'N
12-08-2008, 01:27 PM
what did you do to your face, sounds painful. Hope you have healed nicely.

Marsha
12-08-2008, 05:46 PM
Ohmigosh, that sounds painful. Glad to hear you are on the mend!

Dr_KY
12-08-2008, 06:58 PM
I'm watching too.

What's going on with the face ?

smokinit
12-08-2008, 08:11 PM
Here it is in a nutshell wedding,JackDaniels,hottub get up at 2am to hit the jonh blacked out hit face on hotel bathroom countertop broken face.No I wasn't plasterd one of those working long hours alittle dehydrated low blood pressure things when you get up to quick.

Roo-B-Q'N
12-09-2008, 09:10 AM
Ouch that was even worse than I thought. I hate those get up to fast blackouts. I have learned to stop and grab onto something when I feel them coming on. Ran into many a doors before learning that.

Ok so now we are on the mend, how is the new place coming along and what can you tell us about your past "season" that you would or would not do again?

smokinit
12-14-2008, 09:53 AM
Well here is what I have learned so far. I started out in one spot not the best area but I wanted to start somewere and the price was right. I started of whith quite an extensive menue offering lunches and dinners open 11-6 and quickley found out that was to much there was alot of waist and trying to reuse in other things.

I quickly picked some popular items and began doing specials and the ones that became popular I picked my busyest days to offer them. At this point I was approached by a local business owener and pattron to look at a better spot which he owns closer to town a and where alot of new construction is going on. it was and easy decision to move the rent was allitle more and I had to spend about $900 to put in electric and 40 yards of stone to make a parking lot. We tried to tell as many people before we left and took out a small add in the local paper through our chamber of commerce to get the word out. Most would eventualy find us.

We moved November 1st not the best time to change spots but I wanted to get in there now and get some of the construction business that was around. I began to think of some good cold weather items to sell so I had a freind of mine who is a chef make up a killer chili and a couple of soups which are doing well when the weather is good and people stop.He has also helped me on some awsome seasoned mayos for my chicken sammeis a few other things. I will be using him on some of my catering jobs and should be a great help in building my business.

Business has realy fallen off which I figured it would in Upsate NY in December and I have contemplated wheather to close up for the winter or not. I then booked a catering gig after a new customer tried our food and that sealed the deal about staying open a few select days a week. I think it's worth incuring allitle debt to stay open fot the next few months and continue to establish myself. I have a bulk menue that I get continued orders for and we do work for the local PTA and we are active members in our local PAL{Police Athlectic Legue} which is generating some business.

So that is were I am at this time and for the future I am trying to get some grant money through our county and it helps when the county legeslator loves your food. I would like to put a new trailer at the spot and work it 5 days a week and have the truck I have now do catering so I don't have to leave the spot every time I get a catering gig.

Dr_KY
12-14-2008, 10:03 AM
I like the idea of a second truck. I'll be getting a van thingie in the next few days that should serve well for catering. It's ugly but she will do what I need it to as far as transporting and securing my gear in this unpredictable weather.

txschutte
12-14-2008, 10:56 AM
I like the idea of a second truck. I'll be getting a van thingie in the next few days that should serve well for catering. It's ugly but she will do what I need it to as far as transporting and securing my gear in this unpredictable weather.I'm one hundred percent positive that you will make money in that van, no matter how ugly it is. Are you planning on seting up outside the pubs, KY?

Dr_KY
12-14-2008, 11:02 AM
Ya I have talded with three owners so far and they all said yes but the thing is I have to wait till the weather turns. :(

I'm going over right this moment to catch the guy and pick up the paperwork. I have only known him for a few months ( he is aware of my current job situation ) he is willing to sign it over with a deposit and let me make payments on it.

Did I mention he was from Florida and has been here for eight years? Us home grown folks stick together no mater where we are in the world! GOTTA LOVE IT.

Dr_KY
12-14-2008, 12:39 PM
Just finished the paperwork and will take delivery first thing in the morning. I'll post pictures. lol

It's has this alarm installed..
http://www.londoncaralarmco.co.uk/3-hornet-745T-alarms.html

Roo-B-Q'N
12-14-2008, 02:18 PM
Go get em Dr. What are your plans for menu and location, and pricing? Also what do they mean wait for the weather to change?

Dr_KY
12-14-2008, 03:10 PM
I plan on sticking to Pulled pork, burgers, ABT's and chicken to start out with being that I'll be smoking at home and doing the rest on site. I'll prep the ABT's the day before.
As for pricing I need to be competitive right now so I'll start out charging what the burger van guys are doing in the ares and increase the price for the PP about .75p over that. The last one I made up 80 odd ABT's and sold them at .50p each They all went in the first hour and a half.

I need to work out the cooking methods for on the spot though. I can keep the pp in the ProQ for holding temps. I have a Weber but I thing I need a gasser of some sort too.
I told them as long as it ain't hammering down I can be there ( NEED CASH BIG TIME MOD) but with the state of things people just are not willing to get out in the bad weather to drink and spend money they don't have this time of year.

The van is too small to cater out of but it can get me and my gear where ever we need to be. I think it's going to see some farm duty in the mean time.

Also on the list is finding a cheap easy-up

big brother smoke
12-14-2008, 05:13 PM
Nice updates, guys! Thanks

Dr_KY
12-15-2008, 08:27 AM
Picked it up today what do you think?

http://i34.tinypic.com/26079rm.jpg

http://i36.tinypic.com/2dmf8nl.jpg

http://i37.tinypic.com/9r80gh.jpg

http://i37.tinypic.com/10zzb7a.jpg

http://i36.tinypic.com/28iood2.jpg

Needs a little cosmetic work but that's the least of my worries.

http://i36.tinypic.com/167s0gg.jpg

http://i37.tinypic.com/n2yjas.jpg

Roo-B-Q'N
12-15-2008, 09:07 AM
Looks good their Dr. KY. Keep us updated and let us know how this is going.

Oh and your steering wheel is on the wrong side.

Dr_KY
12-15-2008, 09:17 AM
lol Tell me about it I keep shifting gears with the window crank. Great thing is it's a diesel with a five speed trans so milage should be fantastic plus it short enough to ease parking issues.

I'll pull the UDS out and see how well it fits later.

The logo should look nice on the red..
http://i36.tinypic.com/z0dj8.jpg
http://i34.tinypic.com/wmaydx.jpg

I would make them magnetic and remove 'team' though.

smokinit
12-15-2008, 10:06 AM
Now comes the fun part getting that puppy outfitted. Keep us posted!!

Dr_KY
12-15-2008, 10:39 AM
I don't think I'll be trying to make it a cookable van It's meant to transport me and my gear from place to place and working under an easy-up type deal.

I NEED a larger rig to cater from but I gotta stay where my cash will allow me. I put 200.00 down and will be making payments of 100.00 a month. I couldn't pass it up right now. Momma is worried where the pay off is going to come from so I gotta get my hustle on. Saying that I went over to the local today to see if they planned to do a Christmas dinner and they haven't planned on it. I'll go back and tell them they need to later tonight. :cool:

TysDad
12-15-2008, 12:50 PM
Dr,
That dented left side panel could be turned into a hinged drop down --- table? condiment rack? Gasser holder? ....

Might be cheaper and easier than getting it repaired.

Looks like you are on your way! Congrats.

Dr_KY
12-15-2008, 12:55 PM
Brilliant idea!!!!!!!

jbrink01
12-15-2008, 02:07 PM
I need one. Looks ideal for small catering jobs.....

Dr_KY
12-15-2008, 02:17 PM
There is storage space in that overhead compartment too. Being that it was a Royal mail vehicle the rear doors are on a separate key and is not operated by the remote.

Dr_KY
12-15-2008, 02:36 PM
The UDS fits and there is plenty of room left over. :cool:

http://i37.tinypic.com/6zv4t0.jpg

Yakfishingfool
12-15-2008, 06:12 PM
and a small diesel...definitely a great vehicle

Dr_KY
12-16-2008, 07:18 AM
Oh and your steering wheel is on the wrong side.

lol I Just put this sticker inside the drivers window as a reminder. :wink:

http://i36.tinypic.com/24fw9z9.jpg

and a small diesel...definitely a great vehicle

It's an Izusu engine too. I thought it would a be a Chevy four banger being Vauxhall and all.

tony76248
12-16-2008, 08:53 AM
lol I Just put this sticker inside the drivers window as a reminder. :wink:

http://i36.tinypic.com/24fw9z9.jpg

It's an Izusu engine too. I thought it would a be a Chevy four banger being Vauxhall and all.

The Chevy diesels are all made by Isuzu these days. Apparently, they seem to be good ones too.

Dr_KY
12-16-2008, 09:14 AM
The Chevy diesels are all made by Isuzu these days. Apparently, they seem to be good ones too.
See, I just learned something new today. :grin:

hossrocks
12-30-2008, 10:52 PM
The last few month we have been looking for a location to set up and vend daily. Well, we found our location and we are setting up our rig next week in a permenant location. I've done the research on the location. It has about 15k cars that go by everyday during the winter months and nearly 25k in the summer. We will be set up next to a very busy fresh produce market that runs year round. We'll be open Wed-Sat to start from 11-7pm or until the food runs out. Wanna be there for lunch and early dinner crowd.
Our menu will be simple to start. Brisket, pulled pork, tri tip, sausage sammies and a cheeseburger. We plan to run nightly specials on meats by the pound with buns and sauce to go.
Our first day is the 7th of January. I'm a little nervous about vending in Jan much like smokinit. But we have to set up now if we want the location in the summer. I'll throw up some pics of our setup soon. I'll keep you all posted as to how its going. :-D

Bigmista
12-31-2008, 02:20 AM
Congrats! Wish we could do that in Cali.

smokinit
12-31-2008, 07:00 AM
The last few month we have been looking for a location to set up and vend daily. Well, we found our location and we are setting up our rig next week in a permenant location. I've done the research on the location. It has about 15k cars that go by everyday during the winter months and nearly 25k in the summer. We will be set up next to a very busy fresh produce market that runs year round. We'll be open Wed-Sat to start from 11-7pm or until the food runs out. Wanna be there for lunch and early dinner crowd.
Our menu will be simple to start. Brisket, pulled pork, tri tip, sausage sammies and a cheeseburger. We plan to run nightly specials on meats by the pound with buns and sauce to go.
Our first day is the 7th of January. I'm a little nervous about vending in Jan much like smokinit. But we have to set up now if we want the location in the summer. I'll throw up some pics of our setup soon. I'll keep you all posted as to how its going. :-D

Ya grab that spot now and if you are next to a year round produce market you may have some winter traffic. I would not go overboard with quantities better to sell out at first than incurr alot of waist.Your first few weeks their stay open 4 or 5 days to get the feel for who is stopping in and when and make the adjust ment on days from there based on the weather. 7pm may be a bit to late in the winter to stay open but give it a shot. Best of luck and as always PM me with anything you need or if you want to talk by phone let me know.

Roo-B-Q'N
01-17-2009, 02:18 PM

Ya grab that spot now and if you are next to a year round produce market you may have some winter traffic. I would not go overboard with quantities better to sell out at first than incurr alot of waist.Your first few weeks their stay open 4 or 5 days to get the feel for who is stopping in and when and make the adjust ment on days from there based on the weather. 7pm may be a bit to late in the winter to stay open but give it a shot. Best of luck and as always PM me with anything you need or if you want to talk by phone let me know.

Bump!

What is going on out their Brothers? smokinit, I ran across your website earlier today, looks like you have taken the winter off from the roadside but are taking special orders.

Hossrocks, how goes the new spot? Got any pics to share?

And if I can ask a few questions, what do you guys, or anybody I guess, serve on a daily basis, do you have specials, how have you come to find out what your needs are. Did you just start out with X amount of food and close when you sold out?
Guess thos are enough for now. Just want to know how things are going?

Bigdog
01-17-2009, 02:22 PM
Much less overhead doing business this way.

hossrocks
01-17-2009, 02:32 PM
We still have the spot but we ran into some issues with the city and a special use permit. After two weeks of paper work, meetings and additional verbage to the permit I was told yesterday that we don't need a special use permit and all I have to pay is the $25 peddlers fee! I hate politics. With that solved we are setting up today and will begin serving the first of the week. I'll post pic later tonight of the set up.

smokinit
01-17-2009, 03:16 PM
We still have the spot but we ran into some issues with the city and a special use permit. After two weeks of paper work, meetings and additional verbage to the permit I was told yesterday that we don't need a special use permit and all I have to pay is the $25 peddlers fee! I hate politics. With that solved we are setting up today and will begin serving the first of the week. I'll post pic later tonight of the set up.

Went through the same thing the planning board wanted to step in but the have no say over it since it is a mobile unit. Hope this could snaps leaves for you good luck. Keep us posted.

Pitbull
01-18-2009, 01:09 PM
I've been dreaming about this for a long time and you guys are giving me additional inspiration. Over time I have buying gear to make it happen. My real plan was to do it after retirement, but it is kind of looking like my job might end this year, so I may be starting earlier than I thought. :eek:

Keep us updated on your progress....

smokinit
01-18-2009, 01:31 PM
Take the plung we'll be here for ya.

Dr_KY
01-18-2009, 01:50 PM
Still need a trailer/pit/cooker to use and money is too tight to invest at the moment.

Pitbull
01-18-2009, 03:16 PM
Take the plung we'll be here for ya.

I've never shown this on the board. For now at least I intend for this to be my branding. Let me know what you think. The trade mark is in the wrong place, so I have to fix that.

smokinit
01-18-2009, 03:39 PM
Nice I like it

MrsMista
01-21-2009, 01:32 AM
It gets my attention.

hossrocks
01-25-2009, 03:01 AM
Our first week is now in the books... Things are tough right now with the weather. We are in the grips of a inversion. Everything is gray and cold. So to say that we started out rough is and understatement. Wednesday it rained like crazy and it was bone chilling cold. Didn't do much but get some attention from passers by. Thursday was a little better. I started out just offering sammies. Every person that came to the window wanted meals. Sold them what I could and took notes.
Friday (weather was much better) I threw together some beans and ran a 2 meat combo as the special. Brisket, Pulled pork or sausage were the choices. Came with beans and a bag of chips. We sold several of those. Got pretty excited by the number of folks that stopped for grub on our second real day of service.
Today (Saturday) left me scratching my head. Ran a one meat meal as the special and didn't sell one of them. Can't predict the public. :grin: We are getting some great feedback which is encouraging.
Next week I'm back at it. Gonna start on tuesday this week just to see what kind of turn out I might get. I'm going to run specials again, Tuesaday PP sammie, Wed - 2 Meat Combo, Thurs - Tri Tip combo, Fri i'm thinking of doing a rib special. Thinking about a family meal with a couple of racks and sides. Enough for 4-6 people. Saturday we are booked with auction gigs so I won't be out there.
I'll keep you all posted as we progress. The inversion is supposed to break up on Monday. We have our fingers crossed. It will be the first hint of sunshine we have had in more than 2 weeks! 8-)

What do you guys think about the rib special? It will run around $45 to feed the family. Is that to much to ask from a roadside vendor?

smokinit
01-25-2009, 09:24 AM
Hey sounds about like what I went through although I started a little earlier in the season I did the same head scratching on meals and when and what they want. I also did the family meal thing had a few bites but wasted alot so I decided to do them on a order only basis and promoted it to the lunch crowd and did better with it.Also we did very well with chicken breast sammies and steamed dogs went well also with chili and other fixens helped to get some extra $ each day. Hang in there bud it will happen if you want to chat sometime PM for my number.

MrsMista
01-25-2009, 10:24 AM
Today (Saturday) left me scratching my head. Ran a one meat meal as the special and didn't sell one of them. Can't predict the public. :grin: We are getting some great feedback which is encouraging.
Next week I'm back at it. Gonna start on tuesday this week just to see what kind of turn out I might get. I'm going to run specials again, Tuesaday PP sammie, Wed - 2 Meat Combo, Thurs - Tri Tip combo, Fri i'm thinking of doing a rib special. Thinking about a family meal with a couple of racks and sides. Enough for 4-6 people. Saturday we are booked with auction gigs so I won't be out there.
I'll keep you all posted as we progress. The inversion is supposed to break up on Monday. We have our fingers crossed. It will be the first hint of sunshine we have had in more than 2 weeks! 8-)

What do you guys think about the rib special? It will run around $45 to feed the family. Is that to much to ask from a roadside vendor?

Sammies are our biggest seller it seems regardless of which Market we do. I think they use it as a way to sample our meat before the splurge on a meal. Those who like the sammies usually come back for the meal. Hang in there and the crowds will come. If you're not advertising then you have to depend on word of mouth and the grapevine is not what it used to be.

Also if you think the meal is worth $45 then it's not to much. We have a guy that comes to us every Saturday to get his half rack. Also sometimes we have to make up prices on the spot because people just want meat. So give yourself some wiggle room. We kind of gauge our prices on what we charge for the sammie X's how ever much more we give. (e.g. our rib sammie has 2 bones for $4, people who just want the ribs and no bread we give them 3 ribs and charge $5) The people love it.

jbrink01
01-25-2009, 12:20 PM
We struggled a bit late last fall with vending roadside when gas was $4 a gallon, and expect our business to be a touch soft this year roadside, but catering keeps rolling along (thank god).

hossrocks
01-25-2009, 04:10 PM
Hey sounds about like what I went through although I started a little earlier in the season I did the same head scratching on meals and when and what they want. I also did the family meal thing had a few bites but wasted alot so I decided to do them on a order only basis and promoted it to the lunch crowd and did better with it.Also we did very well with chicken breast sammies and steamed dogs went well also with chili and other fixens helped to get some extra $ each day. Hang in there bud it will happen if you want to chat sometime PM for my number.

Sammies are our biggest seller it seems regardless of which Market we do. I think they use it as a way to sample our meat before the splurge on a meal. Those who like the sammies usually come back for the meal. Hang in there and the crowds will come. If you're not advertising then you have to depend on word of mouth and the grapevine is not what it used to be.

Also if you think the meal is worth $45 then it's not to much. We have a guy that comes to us every Saturday to get his half rack. Also sometimes we have to make up prices on the spot because people just want meat. So give yourself some wiggle room. We kind of gauge our prices on what we charge for the sammie X's how ever much more we give. (e.g. our rib sammie has 2 bones for $4, people who just want the ribs and no bread we give them 3 ribs and charge $5) The people love it.

What size of sammie are you guys serving? We are doing 1/3lb sammies on 4 1/2 in buns, meat combos are 1/4 of each meat. We are charging $6 for the sammies. $8.50 for 2 meat combo and $9.50 for 3 meat.

jimbob57nc
01-25-2009, 05:04 PM
I have a couple of questions that I sure could use some help on: 1. Does anyone do festivals or arts and craft shows or the like? How difficult is it to get into this area?

2. Has anyone had any dealings with Southern Yankee Smokers and Concession Trailers?

Thanks

smokinit
01-25-2009, 05:14 PM
I have a couple of questions that I sure could use some help on: 1. Does anyone do festivals or arts and craft shows or the like? How difficult is it to get into this area?

2. Has anyone had any dealings with Southern Yankee Smokers and Concession Trailers?

Thanks
I do some of both and you should try to find out how many people come through the event to see if it's worth doing. I don't go unless 10000 or more people attend. Some are hard to get into if they are popular and you can be put on a waiting list and some they are looking for new people. Weather can greatly affect the turn out also and this can be the make or break for the weekend. The Southern Yankees look well built but I no nothing about how they actually cook.

jbrink01
01-25-2009, 05:33 PM
I do an art / wine fair every year, as well as a couple smaller events. When i started, there was a waiting list, now it is invitation only. We sell about $10,000 gross over 2.5 days. The first year we did it, we estimated light and made a mad dash to the Sam's club when we sold out of our Sunday supplies on Saturday.

Marsha
01-25-2009, 07:38 PM
This season will be our third or fourth year at some of the festivals where we vend. We will vend at smaller festivals if the application fee isn't over the top. For example, there is a Strawberry festival just down the street from us that wants $1,650 for a spot and the crowds are not that big. People think we are crazy for not vending in our own backyard, but we tried it there one year and lost a lot of money. We pay $2,500 to vend at the Red Bull GP at Laguna Seca raceway, but we make a lot of money because of the massive crowds. At that event lines are 40 people deep during the middle of the day. We now even sell tri-tip breakfast burritos because we see people looking for food even before the gates open.

Some events the organizers ask us before we leave for the weekend if we'll come back next year. I think that is because we try to work with the organizers instead of being whiners. I can't tell you how many times I have seen vendors scream and yell at the organizers instead of trying to work through their issues. The organizers often say those people will not be asked back. It never pays to be a primadonna.

The biggest festival in our area, The Gilroy Garlic Festival, we have been on the waiting list for 3 years. It's almost impossible to get in there!

Ask a lot of questions of the organizers. Try to get the name of some of their regular vendors and talk to them, if you are able. When you are at an event talk to the other vendors and ask about their experiences and where are their favorite place to vend, etc.

MrsMista
01-25-2009, 10:45 PM
...We now even sell tri-tip breakfast burritos because we see people looking for food even before the gates open.

Marsha if you don't mind I want to steal the tri-tip breakfast burrito.

We start a new market on Tuesday and it opens at 8:00. The market manager asked us to try and do a bbq twist on breakfast and so far were have pig candy and fatties on croissants.

jbrink01
01-25-2009, 10:58 PM

We start a new market on Tuesday and it opens at 8:00. The market manager asked us to try and do a bbq twist on breakfast and so far were have pig candy and fatties on croissants.

We have sliced fatties thin, like shaving a gyro. Add a little canned sausage gravy that is in the pit with the scramled eggs in 1/2 pans. Put in a burrito wrapper.

hossrocks
01-26-2009, 12:21 AM
This will be our first year of vending big festivals and such as well. Last year we tried to get into some of them only to find that they were fully booked months in advance. Those that we did get into last year were small. Honestly, I'm thankful of that. The smaller events give you a chance to get things down. Helps you learn the ropes without spending a ton of cash. We did a music festival last summer. Had approx 3000 people a day over 2 days. We were the only food vendor on site. I've never cooked so much so fast in my life! We didn't make a ton of money (because I over purchased on some stuff) but it was enough to cover the hard cost, payroll and put some money in our pockets. It was good experience. Having never vended like that before I found there to be a wicked learning curve. As Marsha mentioned do your homework on the event and don't over extend yourself. Hope this help.

Marsha
01-26-2009, 09:32 AM

Go for it! Ours have sliced tri-tip, scrambled eggs, shredded cheese and salsa. You can also add rice or potatoes if you want some filler, but I prefer them without filler.

Fatties on croissants? YUM!

Marsha
01-26-2009, 09:36 AM
This will be our first year of vending big festivals and such as well. Last year we tried to get into some of them only to find that they were fully booked months in advance. Those that we did get into last year were small. Honestly, I'm thankful of that. The smaller events give you a chance to get things down. Helps you learn the ropes without spending a ton of cash. We did a music festival last summer. Had approx 3000 people a day over 2 days. We were the only food vendor on site. I've never cooked so much so fast in my life! We didn't make a ton of money (because I over purchased on some stuff) but it was enough to cover the hard cost, payroll and put some money in our pockets. It was good experience. Having never vended like that before I found there to be a wicked learning curve. As Marsha mentioned do your homework on the event and don't over extend yourself. Hope this help.

Agreed! It is better (although more money) to have an extra staff member or two than not enough. We had too few for one first-time event and pretty much fried those who were working that day.

jimbob57nc
01-27-2009, 01:00 PM
Thanks so much for the great advice. I am in the process of contacting festival organizers and a couple of vendors that I know of in the area. I have found that the 2 or 3 largest festivals in the state have steep vending rates plus they want a percentage of the business gross. Is this normal? There is also a waiting list for these "Unless" there is a new and/or unique concept.

Thanks again
Jim

hossrocks
01-28-2009, 10:26 AM
Thanks so much for the great advice. I am in the process of contacting festival organizers and a couple of vendors that I know of in the area. I have found that the 2 or 3 largest festivals in the state have steep vending rates plus they want a percentage of the business gross. Is this normal? There is also a waiting list for these "Unless" there is a new and/or unique concept.

Thanks again
Jim

Yea, the percentage is pretty standard. 20% is pretty common around here. Alot of the events depending on size will ask for $250-$1500 per 10x20 space plus the cut.

Dr_KY
01-29-2009, 04:53 AM
What a wonderful morning. Went out to the truck at six AM and the windshield was smashed in with a large chunk of stone from the alley way. Just what we need right about now.

smokinit
01-29-2009, 11:58 AM
That farkin sucks!! There are alot of useless people around these days.

Dr_KY
01-29-2009, 01:52 PM
I just don't understand what the point of it was. You can clearly see into the van and there isn't any tools inside or even a stereo for that matter. It was parked about half a block away so I couldn't hear the alarm either.

These people really need to get a grip on their drinking and find something else to do at 3AM while walking home faceless!!!!!!!!!

hossrocks
01-29-2009, 04:48 PM
Sorry to hear that DRKY.. We should put together a brethren posse, jump the pond and hold vigile till we find the culprits.
Wednesday, I came to open my stand and found a messed up door jam and trashed road sign... Thankfully I had both the door and deadbolt locks locked otherwise I would have had a mess on my hands as well. Seems the worse the economy gets the more desprate the idiots of the world get.
Keep your head up brother!!!

MrsMista
01-29-2009, 05:43 PM
What a wonderful morning. Went out to the truck at six AM and the windshield was smashed in with a large chunk of stone from the alley way. Just what we need right about now.

The only reason for doing something that stupid is on a dare when you're drunk.

smokinit
02-16-2009, 03:11 PM
Well it's about that time most of the snow went last week was in the 50's for a few days and expecting some rain this week. I think I may open up a few days next week and see how it goes. I have a gig on March 7th and the 14th so things are looking up. Time to hit the road running!! can't wait!!

Dr_KY
02-16-2009, 04:24 PM
I'll be pulling for you.

hossrocks
02-19-2009, 11:24 AM
Go for it brother... Keep us posted...

Bbq Bubba
02-19-2009, 04:16 PM
Well it's about that time most of the snow went last week was in the 50's for a few days and expecting some rain this week. I think I may open up a few days next week and see how it goes. I have a gig on March 7th and the 14th so things are looking up. Time to hit the road running!! can't wait!!

If things go as planned, will be opening up April 1st roadside a couple days and a couple days at the markets.
Still in the 20's here and calling for more snow! :shock:

smokinit
02-20-2009, 08:12 AM
If things go as planned, will be opening up April 1st roadside a couple days and a couple days at the markets.
Still in the 20's here and calling for more snow! :shock:

Good luck bud temps have been all over the place here but the snow is gone time to rock next week.

scottyd
02-21-2009, 02:50 PM
I open march 13th no matter what, here in South Dakota it is cold as heck but I have to deliver a 300lbs of pulled pork for an event. So I figure that is a good day to start the road side as well. As I was force in to the BBQ fulltime. I have been positioning myself anyhow so what a great way to start it all off.

smokinit
03-04-2009, 07:09 PM
Here we go we reopen tomorrow the weather up until now has been freakishly cold for this time of year. Going to be in the 40's and 50's over the week end and we also have a fundraiser to do for our local Little league this weekend. We are doing half chicken dinners and pull pork dinners with beans,mac salad and roll and butter. Our goal is to sell around 250 which should be doable with all the pre sales and advertising that was done around town.It will be nice to get back at it!!

Bbq Bubba
03-04-2009, 07:32 PM
Good luck brother, still in the 20's here! :roll:

Curious as to what kind of advertising you do?

smokinit
03-04-2009, 08:06 PM
Good luck brother, still in the 20's here! :roll:

Curious as to what kind of advertising you do?

Local paper,town bulletin board,my Chambers website and at chamber meetings, we also have a local phone company and the VP Lives across the street from and he gives me a deal on sending out fliers in their bills plus i go around to local business and hand out menus and get email address so i can email specials to and take orders from them. I am also going to deliver on select days this year with a minimum order of $20.PS When are you getting your blues hog in i need some soon.

Bbq Bubba
03-04-2009, 10:13 PM
Sorry bro, BH deal fell thru. Now i got room for YOUR sauce! :cool:
Thanks for a couple new ideas!

smokinit
03-04-2009, 10:19 PM
Sorry bro, BH deal fell thru. Now i got room for YOUR sauce! :cool:
Thanks for a couple new ideas!

Anytime:biggrin:

smokinit
03-05-2009, 06:25 PM
The first day back felt great and business was pretty good got an on site catering gig next week at a construction near by. Not bad for the first day back.

smokinit
03-20-2009, 06:51 PM
The first full week has been slamin!! it's been hard keeping up with it.Good thing the New BWS Professional showed up when it did. Booked two other gigs already off the vending site. I can't wait to see what the warm weather brings. The economy doesn't seem to be bothering people when it comes to Q. How is everyone else making out.

hossrocks
03-20-2009, 08:59 PM
Good to hear Kevin!!!! Keep up the good work. Phones are starting to finally ring here as well. Our catering gigs are picking up. Brought in four small gigs this week and april is almost booked up for vending. Gonna be a busy summer.:-P

Dr_KY
03-21-2009, 03:13 AM
Congrats. :cool:

I have been on to the local council about dates and requirements for events and last night I found someone who is some what interested in getting behind us if I can provide a business plan and all the rest. This week will be the task of trying to get those things together and I'm lost with it all.

Rightstuff
03-28-2009, 01:08 PM
I love this thread. Lots of great information. Good work guys!

smokinit
04-01-2009, 12:06 PM
I just got phone and DSL service installed in my vending truck today. The credit machine comes tomorrow and we started delivering also. Life is good in Q land!!

Dr_KY
04-01-2009, 02:43 PM
Ohhh that's slick!! :cool:

We have had some great news this week. A friend of mine owns three burrito places and wants to join in in making some extra cash with the BBQ scene. He's from Frisco and has been here for ten or so years so he knows the ropes. We plan on working some of the summer shows together and with his business license and backing we should be god to go.

The cooker if off to the welder sometime this week too.

smokinit
04-01-2009, 03:14 PM
Ohhh that's slick!! :cool:

We have had some great news this week. A friend of mine owns three burrito places and wants to join in in making some extra cash with the BBQ scene. He's from Frisco and has been here for ten or so years so he knows the ropes. We plan on working some of the summer shows together and with his business license and backing we should be god to go.

The cooker if off to the welder sometime this week too.

Thats a great bud it's always nice to know people in the right places.Good luck

Dr_KY
04-01-2009, 04:08 PM
Thanks I could never afford to start out right now on my own. The pub landlord even offered to help out any way he can.
I'll be doing a BBQ on Saturday ( it's the Grand Nationals (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aintree_Racecourse)) at the pub to raise funds for the food.

MrsMista
04-07-2009, 07:29 PM
I haven't been around in a while but I'm glad to see business is good for everyone. Keep it up and we'll put the she-she places to shame with their small portions of food you can't pronounce or pay for.

smokinit
04-29-2009, 05:06 PM
The vending is going strong we start dinners this week and open until seven. We also added pulled pork burritos and red beans and rice to the menu. Sauce and rub sales are also going well.

Bbq Bubba
04-29-2009, 08:26 PM
Should be roadside starting next week!

smokinit
04-29-2009, 08:33 PM
Nice bud hey were are the leaves on those trees everything just popped here it was 90 for two days here.:biggrin:

Bbq Bubba
04-29-2009, 08:46 PM
Nice bud hey were are the leaves on those trees everything just popped here it was 90 for two days here.:biggrin:

This was last week, we had the same weather, then dropped to 40's again.:mad:

big brother smoke
04-29-2009, 11:05 PM
The vending is going strong we start dinners this week and open until seven. We also added pulled pork burritos and red beans and rice to the menu. Sauce and rub sales are also going well.

Very nice, Smokinit!:cool:

Bbq Bubba
05-21-2009, 07:38 AM
Opening day for RSS BBQ roadside vending, very excited to finally get things going! :rolleyes:

big brother smoke
05-21-2009, 12:08 PM
Opening day for RSS BBQ roadside vending, very excited to finally get things going! :rolleyes:

Good luck, Bubba!

Jacked UP BBQ
05-21-2009, 01:20 PM
Whoop that ass!!!!

Dr_KY
05-21-2009, 01:22 PM
Hit em and hit em hard!! best of luck to you all.

Neil
05-21-2009, 02:11 PM
Looking forward to hear how you did. Good luck brother.

Bbq Bubba
05-21-2009, 09:02 PM
Thanks guys!
Not as smooth as i'd like but aced inspection and was serving by 11:30.
Kept the quantities small today and sure enough sold out! :biggrin:
Still learning the new trailer set-up but ready to go again tomorrow.
Already got pre-orders for Friday dinner and 2 catering jobs just from opening day!

I think life could be good as a BBQ vendor! :cool:

hossrocks
05-21-2009, 11:03 PM
Gratz man, got some pics of the finished trailer?

Dr_KY
06-02-2009, 03:34 PM
Great leap ahead today!!

The local borough council came out today to inspect us and we went through with no problem. They want to come back when we do an actual cook and see the process and we need to fill out a few more pages in the catalog but we are go to go! :cool:

smokinit
07-31-2009, 10:52 AM
Well it's been a crazy ride the last two months. I just got back to the vending site this week. I had every weekend booked for june and July and some double booked as well as doing a few comps and some weekday events. I did my biggest event yet 530 on the Conn. coast. That was a learning experience and we knocked it out of the park.Picked up another Meadowcreek PR72T pig roaster.Pig roasts this year are out of control and I am now renting my smaller one.all of Auguts is booked and double booked on weekends and 4 weekdat events and vending inbetween. September is half booked already bad economy doesn't seem to be affecting parties. how is everyone else making out this year.

bbqfans
08-02-2009, 02:28 AM
I am at that point where I neee to make some cash in order to survive:!:

I am thinking of a home based BBQ operation. I intend to have garage sale on weekends and just happen to be smoking some goodies and sell it on the side(under the table so to speak).
I was going to start by offering small samples to those comming by, and when hooked, take orders.:wink:
Would this work:?: The cookie ladies did it that way:!:
Help a brother:wink:

Dr_KY
08-02-2009, 05:55 AM

I am thinking of a home based BBQ operation. I intend to have garage sale on weekends and just happen to be smoking some goodies and sell it on the side(under the table so to speak).
I was going to start by offering small samples to those comming by, and when hooked, take orders.:wink:

Get legal and stay legal!!!

The people you will be hurting is not only yourself , imagine if someone decides to sue you claiming your food made them sick then where would you be?

Running a 'cowboy' operation will only tarnish the rest of us that get legal and try and earn a living.
The economy isn't good for millions of us but that's the way things are at the moment. Believe me I have had to sell my car and several other things just so I could get insurance and take the required FSA (food safety) classes.

If you are going to do it your way then I wouldn't go bragging about it on a public forum.:icon_shy

Ford
08-02-2009, 10:53 AM
Get legal and stay legal!!!

The people you will be hurting is not only yourself , imagine if someone decides to sue you claiming your food made them sick then where would you be?

Running a 'cowboy' operation will only tarnish the rest of us that get legal and try and earn a living.
The economy isn't good for millions of us but that's the way things are at the moment. Believe me I have had to sell my car and several other things just so I could get insurance and take the required FSA (food safety) classes.

If you are going to do it your way then I wouldn't go bragging about it on a public forum.:icon_shy
Good advice. If the health dept came by you'd be in a world of trouble and then trying to get legal would be a real pain. Or someone from the city could say where's you're license to sell in this city.county or whatever. Or a State person might say are you submitting sales tax. All can lead to criminal charges and legal bills.

Now here in MI you can be a personal chef without the health dept. Still may need city/county licenses and sales tax. But it's a lot easier. Or just shut up and on your own talk to people about cooking for them. Doing parties is a lot easier than selling meals ot the public.

But you could give away samples during the garage sale so long as you take the liability of somebody saying they got sick. Insurance is reasonably cheap. Try Auto Owners. If you cater you'll want it for sure.

blues_n_cues
08-02-2009, 11:14 AM
what they said. just so ya know,even if you are legal most county HD's wont let you use you home's kitchen for a commercial food venture unless it conforms to restaurant kitchen standards.check your local HD for rules & guidelines.

stillsmokintn
08-02-2009, 02:36 PM

like said in above post being a cowboy hurts it for everyone else :mad:we are all trying to make a living and my feelings are if i have to jump through all the hoops to make a livin so should somebody else!

now sellin out of your garage thats a different story while having garage sale if you can get away with it thats on you.

but i know if i was set up somewhere legit and some dude pulls up and starts sellin and hes not legit id be the first on the phone...
should be fair playin feild for all.
just my 2 cents.

undertaker
08-02-2009, 03:05 PM
Ditto to what everyone else has said. The easiest way is to get legal and stay that way. Stop wondering what you have to do and just go visit the health department. I got lucky and mine were really nice. Plus, I think they were just excited that someone was not trying to do it under the table. They even told me what I could do in my situation to satisfy food safety rules. Then when it was time for an inspection it was no problem cause they had recommended most of the equipment to me.

Dr_KY
08-02-2009, 03:21 PM
Yup I have been inspected several times and teice I asked them to come out and see what I was doing and if they could give some advice to keep me on track. Tell ya what they LOVED hearing that and made things very easy on us.

All of my reports were great and the things they wanted was as little easier way for me to keep track of my temps. She even emailed me some record keeping forms.

Hi Alvin

Good to meet you at the weekend.

I promised you I would send you electronic copies of the temperature log sheets I gave you. I have revised them slightly to reflect event catering. Please give them a whirl...I would be interested in feedback on the forms - good and bad!

I must stress that these forms are not a legally prescribed format ...you do not have to use them. They are offered as help only as they cover the recording of information EHO's tend to request!

Something along these lines should keep you serve you well and make life easier to boot!

Good luck with the BBQ!

Regards

Jenny

Jenny Thomson
Environmental Health Officer

Hope these attachments help some of you brother and sisters out there..

TomTheGrillGuy
08-20-2009, 01:42 PM
Another great thread with great info and advice.

Thanks!

Tom the Grill Guy

jbrink01
08-20-2009, 05:39 PM
I have tens of thousands of dollars invested in BBQ (probably more like $100k+), so it's not a hobby for me. It is a business. If you want to run it like one, be one. Scabs only tarnish it for the rest of us who try to remain legal.

ipls3355
09-21-2009, 11:04 PM
Hey roadside guys. How many meals do you shoot for a day? And about what is your break even point? I lay awake at night dreaming about doing something crazy like this. I need to either dismiss it as insanity or get some ideas on paper.

Thanks

smokinit
09-22-2009, 10:04 AM
It's going to take a good investment in the proper equipment to do it as well as a well thought out spot to set up.You will need some catering gigs to supplement your income until you get a good customer base to keep you rolling but it can be done. I have been doing it about a year now and am just getting a good base of people and if it wasn't for all the catering I do it would be nothing but some extra pocket change. It's alot of work to keep your stock up and produce a good product each and every day so that good equipment I mentioned is esentail. Pm me if you are seriose about it there is to info I could ramble on here for days.

Bigmofo300lbs
10-05-2009, 09:22 AM
Wow. This is a great section. Answered so many questions for me. In my area the only place to get Q is at a Big Chain (Tony Romas, Back Forty, etc.) and I have been thinking about taking the plunge. Such good advice here.

First Stop: Health Department

Thanks, Guys.

Cabntmkr1
10-05-2009, 11:29 AM
It amazes me how many of us brethren are doing the vending/catering thing, or wanting to!
I have started researching the HD rules and licensing reqs in Wichita.
I am hoping to break into this field also...legally, of course.
Can't afford any fines or charges.
Keep posting how you guys are doing, and the pitfalls you come across.

Dr_KY
10-05-2009, 12:13 PM
Hey man I tell ya it's a greta game and you learn something each and every time you et out there. For the most part we tend to over cook but are getting to grips with it now. Summer is all but finished here so we are moving into catering for functions. We are aiming for Christmas fete and the likes trying to spread the word for next year and pick up orgers for the holidays.

Bbq Bubba
10-30-2009, 07:14 PM
How bout some updates from our roadside vendors? :wink:
Talked to Scotty D and Kev and we all seem to be going about the same, were still alive and selling BBQ!
Any other guys out there still up and running?

txschutte
10-30-2009, 07:22 PM
Right now, we are getting ready to shut down for winter. Sales have been dropping off with the temps, and due to the closing of a local factory, my rush hours aren't so rushed.

txschutte
10-30-2009, 07:25 PM
I have tens of thousands of dollars invested in BBQ (probably more like $100k+), so it's not a hobby for me. It is a business. If you want to run it like one, be one. Scabs only tarnish it for the rest of us who try to remain legal.
Very well said. Right now, that's one of the problems I have. There are a dozen taco trailers within a 15 mile radius, and then there's me. Out of all the vendors, mine and another are the only one's that are legal. The rest keep moving and only open on weekends, far out of the time limits of the inspector.

smokinit
10-30-2009, 07:48 PM
Take pics with time and date stamps and give them plate numbers. I would go as far as to confront them and let them know they are on the radar.

Ford
10-31-2009, 08:35 AM
I'm done on roadside vending for the season. Looking at a trailer upgrade so there may be an approved trailer available here real soon. Just waiting on quotes on a 38' gooseneck that will have smokers mounted and lots of room for a steam table and lots of vending window space. Also full RV water system that would allow soda machine, etc.

smokinit
10-31-2009, 08:40 AM
I'm done on roadside vending for the season. Looking at a trailer upgrade so there may be an approved trailer available here real soon. Just waiting on quotes on a 38' gooseneck that will have smokers mounted and lots of room for a steam table and lots of vending window space. Also full RV water system that would allow soda machine, etc.

Sounds real nice that the size I am looking at fore the future. Good luck!!

Bbq Bubba
01-03-2010, 01:54 PM
Anybody still guttin it out or are we all closed up for the winter?

<<<< So glad to be cookin indoors this winter! :biggrin:

jbrink01
01-03-2010, 02:35 PM
I'm out till it warms up.

txschutte
01-03-2010, 02:56 PM
Been out for a while.

Jerk Pit Master
01-06-2010, 10:51 PM
Was looking to start roadside vending from a large ice cream store parking lot. Unfortunately, mobile food dispensing vehicles are not allowed to operate in my city or county.

Wish there was an easy way to determine localities where vending is allowed. Calling up ones county and then every municipality and speaking with permits and then zoning is a pain.

southernsmoker
02-08-2010, 02:04 PM
Gettin geared up to start again, was off for a month over Christmas, just too cold..If it stays above -10C I'll be out there with the Lang chuggin away.

Bbq Bubba
02-08-2010, 02:16 PM
Less than 2 months. I'm pumped to get back out there!

Dr_KY
02-11-2010, 10:44 AM
I can't wait to return and nor can my bank manager. Granted I still have a few months to go and only about three to get the job done but I'm chomping at the bit!

Just fired up half pint and running on empty to let the neighborhood know I'm still around. :)

scottyd
06-06-2010, 09:31 PM
Ok boys I roadside vend everyday I am doing fine and better than fine. I lost my job in Feb of 09 and I am making a better living in BBQ than in Research and Development for Jack Links Beef Jerky for 11 years. Go figure!