PDA

View Full Version : KCBS Judging Class: Lynchburg, TN

Rightstuff
09-14-2008, 08:19 AM
We've heard a lot of people say that "to compete" you really should take a judging class. Theres a class in Lynchburg, TN next month that we are thinking about. Its a 4 hour drive from our house and one of the few remaining classes this year. Whats your thoughts about judging classes? Also, what format do they use...is it a classroom....do you get to eat BBQ...let me know what you think.

Merl
09-14-2008, 08:40 AM
That is a great question.

I am a CBJ instructor for KCBS. I am frequently asked that question. I answer in the affirmative. After the class almost every cook has told me they were glad they participated in the class. Here is why.

The course is two hours of instruction and two hours of mock contest. During the first two hours you are instructed on rules and how to judge using the rules. This will include the standards. Such as a perfectly cooked rib is one when you bite into the meat, the rib meat will separate cleanly from the bone, leaving the remaining meat intact and the bone will quickly dry and turn white.

Now many would think that a rib with meat falling off the bone would be perfect. This is just an example of the KCBS standards.

The other benefit is to actually experience and observe how people judge. This is a learning experience as well.

I hope you decide to take the class and have a great experience.

Merl
KCBS CBJ Instructor

Podge
09-14-2008, 09:09 AM
I some day plan on taking a judging class, but I don't think it's that important to gain an edge to be more competitive. If you're pretty new to competition, it'd probably do you some good.

CajunSmoker
09-14-2008, 09:18 AM
We've heard a lot of people say that "to compete" you really should take a judging class. Theres a class in Lynchburg, TN next month that we are thinking about. Its a 4 hour drive from our house and one of the few remaining classes this year. Whats your thoughts about judging classes? Also, what format do they use...is it a classroom....do you get to eat BBQ...let me know what you think.

The wife and I drove 5 hours to attend the class in Columbus, MS last February. I think everyone that cooks should attend one even if they never plan to judge. It was an eye opener for me to see just how much peoples tastes and expectations varied on what they considered "good BBQ". I was also happy to see that by the end of the class our instructors had managed to get the class to fall pretty much in line on scoring. I think that is what most people really hope for in a judge, is that he/she is going to judge their food as presented, according to KCBS rules and without a lot of personal taste preferences.

Rightstuff
09-14-2008, 10:07 AM
Thanks everyone. Since the class is such a short drive from our hometown, I think we'll try to make this class. It sounds like it will be very informative and FUN. I'll let everyone know how it turns out.

JayAre
09-14-2008, 10:11 AM
Thanks everyone. Since the class is such a short drive from our hometown, I think we'll try to make this class. It sounds like it will be very informative and FUN. I'll let everyone know how it turns out.

My wife and I plan on attending this class as well..see ya there!

barbefunkoramaque
09-14-2008, 10:26 AM
I used to live in Tullahoma. I miss that area and wish I never left. 196

Vince RnQ
09-14-2008, 01:46 PM

My wife and I plan on attending this class as well..see ya there!

Not only that, you'll be at The Jack!

Bunny
09-14-2008, 09:39 PM
Definately take the class. You'll be glad you did.

Bunny

ModelMaker
09-15-2008, 09:07 AM
The class is great but I don't think you get the jest of how people judge until you have judged several events to see what really goes on . If you want to know the hows and whys of how different people judge you really have to experience a few contests.
After scores are turned in the talk between judges is priceless.
But by all means jump in and see for yourself.
ModelMaker