PDA

View Full Version : Competitors, input please....

jbrink01
09-10-2008, 02:15 PM
We are working on the 2009 Washington Missouri contest. Please see my notes to the committe below about booth space and advise yor thoughts....is 16 x 20 and 16 x 24 reasonable?

I just went by the Borgia lot (across from Bleckmann's). There are 8 spaces on the north measuring 16' x 24' (conservatively), with one space measuring 24' x 24'. The south side will accommodate 12 spaces at 16' x 20'. This give you 20 huge spaces total. I think we should use those 20 spots, and then have 4 more large spots on the street. Now, all we need is 4 or 5 more big ones for motor homes (Pine Street?) and you got it covered.

The Pickled Pig
09-10-2008, 02:22 PM
Our canopy is 20 x 20 so it would pose a problem for us.

jbrink01
09-10-2008, 02:24 PM
Our canopy is 20 x 20 so it would pose a problem for us.

We are thinking that these are basic sizes, and someone could always upgrade to a double site. It is on asphalt with electric and water.

The Pickled Pig
09-10-2008, 02:59 PM
The option to double size would work and 16x20 would probably accomodate most teams.

We've done a couple of contests this year that I would not repeat because of cramped conditions. Those of us with trailers (pit, cargo, or concession) struggle to get into and out of contests that stack teams up nut to butt and a late arrival becomes a nightmare to deal with.

Sledneck
09-10-2008, 03:04 PM
The option to double size would work and 16x20 would probably accomodate most teams.

We've done a couple of contests this year that I would not repeat because of cramped conditions. Those of us with trailers (pit, cargo, or concession) struggle to get into and out of contests that stack teams up nut to butt and a late arrival becomes a nightmare to deal with.
out here we call that yardley:rolleyes:

Podge
09-10-2008, 03:20 PM
KCBS rules states 20'x20' minimum to be provided. Ya got that at least to back you up.

Roo-B-Q'N
09-10-2008, 03:23 PM
20x30 is standard around here. Much smaller and you run into the problems Paul describes above. We have a 22 foot trailer so while a 16 x 24 would work it is cramped. We also charge $15. for an additional 10' of space or 20x40.

Sticks-n-chicks
09-10-2008, 06:30 PM
20x20 or 20x40 is what I have seen.

Bbq Bubba
09-10-2008, 06:49 PM
I would think 20x20 minimum.

Bigmista
09-10-2008, 07:14 PM
he said "nut to butt" heh heh-heh heh

Beavis mod

KC_Bobby
09-10-2008, 07:17 PM
16x20 would be too small for us. Not enough room to get the 6 x 12 trailer and 2 ez ups up - and that's not counting space for the cookers. Our space last weekend was 18x27 (3 parking spaces) and I think that's about as small as any team would want to go - at least us. We were not cramped, but we used the entire space.

Lion Bout The Q
09-10-2008, 07:34 PM
At Quincy last weekend we had 2 parking spaces wide and pretty deep.It wasn't wide enough for the camper (with slide) and easy up..pretty cramped

River City Smokehouse
09-10-2008, 07:36 PM
I agree. 20x20 should be the minimum. I couldn't do anything smaller.

spicewine
09-10-2008, 07:39 PM
We bring atleast a 32' camper. The sites seem quite small!! We always pay for extra space at contests. My camper is 35'

Bunny
09-10-2008, 09:37 PM
20 x 20 is usually the recommended space for KCBS comps. Less than that is cramping teams too much.
Bunny

Plowboy
09-10-2008, 09:45 PM
20x30 is standard around here. Much smaller and you run into the problems Paul describes above. We have a 22 foot trailer so while a 16 x 24 would work it is cramped. We also charge $15. for an additional 10' of space or 20x40.

Don't forget, you have a tongue on that 22' trailer. You probably need 25'. Since I have a generator mounted on front, I usually figure 26' for mine.

Jeff_in_KC
09-10-2008, 09:49 PM
What I appreciate most at comps (besides quiet hours enforcement!) is generous sized spaces. We gave 30x30 spaces here at Pleasant Hill. I love to have plenty of room and a 16x20 would not work for us with a 10x20 canopy and a van that's about 18 feet long and 7 feet wide. There would be no room for the smoker, even with the 24 foot spaces.

The Pickled Pig
09-10-2008, 10:13 PM
We did a 29 team contest in Leavenworth last weekend that had no assigned spaces. You staked out a claim when you arrived...where you wanted and as big as you wanted. I felt like a Sooner.

I thought it worked well. Of course, we had a big flat space under trees but from what I could tell walking around, everyone seemed happy. And the teams didn't use more space than they needed.

I realize that wouldn't work for larger contests or smaller contest sites but I can think of a few contests on our schedule that would benefit from that type of process.

ThomEmery
09-10-2008, 10:47 PM
We have so many guys running RVs here 20X50 is what I offer

TOPS BBQ
09-10-2008, 11:08 PM
Wow! Most comps I have been to have a 15x20 site as standard. Larger sites are granted when requested and/or paid for. We just barely fit, without the camper.

paydabill
09-11-2008, 08:03 AM
We use 2 10 X10 and then need another 4 - 5 feet for the smoker and the truck.

ThomEmery
09-11-2008, 08:07 AM
Note our State Fire Code requires 10 foot separation from smoker to any structure or RV

So I will have to couple sites
Smokers go on the same side

Roo-B-Q'N
09-11-2008, 12:25 PM
Don't forget, you have a tongue on that 22' trailer. You probably need 25'. Since I have a generator mounted on front, I usually figure 26' for mine.

Thank you for thinking about my tongue . . . kind of grosses me out that you were, but you are correct about the aditional space.

We did a 29 team contest in Leavenworth last weekend that had no assigned spaces. You staked out a claim when you arrived...where you wanted and as big as you wanted. I felt like a Sooner.

I thought it worked well. Of course, we had a big flat space under trees but from what I could tell walking around, everyone seemed happy. And the teams didn't use more space than they needed.

I realize that wouldn't work for larger contests or smaller contest sites but I can think of a few contests on our schedule that would benefit from that type of process.

I think the Royal should try this . . . then it would really look more like a tent city than it already does.:shock::wink:

Neal
09-11-2008, 12:56 PM
Maybe it's just me, but I generally just try to fit into the space that is given to me. Also, I'm cheap. I never pay for extra space. I'd rather spend it on beer.

We genrally set up a 10x10 tent and 10x20 tent and take up a 20x20 area. Although we can and will scale way back and use much less if we have to. Here is a picture from a contest we did a few years ago (I decided to leave the Prevost motor coach at home).
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e190/nealdunker/Fairbury20004.jpg

I was by myself and the forecast was calling for wind & rain so I figured I'd keep it tight and worry about a lot less stuff. Sometimes I like to see if I can get by using the bare minimum.

They way I look at it, if all teams have the same size spot, it's all equal. I have seen the best competition cooks in the world use nothing but their cooker and the tailgate on their pick-up...and they still beat every one's butt. They might have an enormous RV, but they don't need it to win!

Jeff_in_KC
09-11-2008, 01:07 PM
Sometimes I like to see if I can get by using the bare minimum.

Bare minimum? WTFark is that??? :lol::lol: Ask Steph what MY bare minimum seems to be! :lol:

They way I look at it, if all teams have the same size spot, it's all equal. I have seen the best competition cooks in the world use nothing but their cooker and the tailgate on their pick-up...and they still beat every one's butt. They might have an enormous RV, but they don't need it to win!

That's a really good point, however, I enjoyed accomodating everyone from an organizer standpoint. We got a lot better comments from teams that way. :wink: I have cooked my last two comps with a camper at my spot, something that never happened for us before. It's nice and comfy and all but I found I wasn't actually in them much, especially at the last contest. In July, I definitely was using it due to the heat (I can't do heat well at all after my overheating at Columbia in 2006). It was nice to sit down in a/c and shave my chicken. :shock:

jbrink01
09-11-2008, 01:20 PM
Thanks giuys. I can easily do larger, we are just in the planning stages. I can go 25' x 25' as a standard and still make the layout work. Thanks!

Plowboy
09-11-2008, 01:28 PM
Ask Steph what MY bare minimum seems to be! :lol:

No wife, no razor = Jeff is lost.

Jeff_in_KC
09-11-2008, 06:37 PM
No wife, no razor = Jeff is lost.

You got THAT right! :shock:

Timmy
09-11-2008, 09:35 PM
Well here's my 2 cents...I pass on contests when they want to charge extra money for a larger spot. Some if not a lot of teams have sponsors therefore they can afford to pay for a larger spot. Team BBQ2 is supported out of my own pocket and therefore must be choosey as to what comps I want to cook at. I have a 25ft camper and a full size pickup...no way am I fitting into a 25' x 25' space. If thats all your giving me and going to charge me extra for more space, I'm going to pass on your comp. Ok, stepping down from the soapbox now before I fall off.

CivilWarBBQ
09-12-2008, 12:56 AM
No offense, but I've never understood this line of thinking.

Anybody who owns a large RV has spent a lot of money on it, and is well aware of how much it costs for a campsite for the night with the heavy duty hookups needed. Why do folks in a $30-300K rolling palace bristle at the idea of paying an extra few dollars for a site that will accommodate their rig for the up to three night stay during a cookoff? It's not like the organizer is getting rich off these modest fees - at the contest I organize the fifty bucks we charge for upgraded electric doesn't even cover our costs.

CritterCook
09-12-2008, 06:56 AM
How in the world would York get that beast of his in anything smaller than 50' by 50'......he would also need a runway to maneuver it in there!!

jbrink01
09-12-2008, 07:20 AM
Ok, so it's Chamber of Commerce Advertisement time;

This contest is being put on to help promote Downtown Washington (Founded in 1836). It is a neat area. Lots of shops, river views, old brick buildings, large old tree's, etc...The contest will also be on pavement (remember, it will be in April).

Therefore, space is an issue. We face the task of not making teams walk 1/2 a mile (think Laurie) and still keep it off the grassy areas (think Jeff City 2007). It will be a great contest with some neat trophy's and decent money. Plus, York and I will be there, so DAL and 2nd to DAL are locked up!

Bunny
09-12-2008, 07:41 PM
This place is really cool. Rich and I have been down there to run a CBJ class and we were quite struck with this quaint town of wonderful people. As soon as you get there you know you're going to have a nice weekend with good folk.

Bunny

Ok, so it's Chamber of Commerce Advertisement time;

This contest is being put on to help promote Downtown Washington (Founded in 1836). It is a neat area. Lots of shops, river views, old brick buildings, large old tree's, etc...The contest will also be on pavement (remember, it will be in April).

Therefore, space is an issue. We face the task of not making teams walk 1/2 a mile (think Laurie) and still keep it off the grassy areas (think Jeff City 2007). It will be a great contest with some neat trophy's and decent money. Plus, York and I will be there, so DAL and 2nd to DAL are locked up!

jbrink01
09-13-2008, 04:40 PM
Thanks Bunny! Plus there are 3 great bars within 2 blocks!!