PDA

View Full Version : Contest Results Cross Points BBQ - Shawnee, KS (9/12-13, 2008) ***Results Added***

The Pickled Pig
09-10-2008, 01:15 PM
Anyone else competing in the Cross Points contest this weekend?

Just Pulin' Pork
09-10-2008, 03:45 PM
I wanted to but my team can't. The $$$ looks pretty good. Wish I could do it!

Sticks-n-chicks
09-10-2008, 06:26 PM
It will be my first, I will be there but unfortunately my Dad who has been practicing with me has to go in for treatment so I will be going solo! Thank god for scotch...

Good Q'ing to all.

smknwhlswife
09-10-2008, 07:16 PM
Depending on the weather......my girls and I may come out and say hi.

Sticks-n-chicks
09-10-2008, 08:20 PM
Look forward to meeting you.

Just Pulin' Pork
09-10-2008, 08:28 PM
It will be my first, I will be there but unfortunately my Dad who has been practicing with me has to go in for treatment so I will be going solo! Thank god for scotch...

Good Q'ing to all.

Hey man best of luck to you. I really wish I could do this contest but one of the guys I cook with is out of town and the others did not want to do it. For a first time contest this has some decent money in it and if the weather cooperates it looks like a great time. Good luck to you and remember whatever you do HAVE FUN!

KC_Bobby
09-10-2008, 08:56 PM
I might find my way out there Friday night for awhile.

EarlyBird
09-11-2008, 11:32 AM
We'll be there. My wife is going to go in the morning and get things setup. My plane lands at KCI at 2:45 and I should be there around 4:30.

Chris
Early Bird BBQ

Sticks-n-chicks
09-11-2008, 11:38 AM
I will have some cold drinks and / or hot coffee with or without the irish come on by.

Sticks-n-chicks
09-11-2008, 11:39 AM
We'll be there. My wife is going to go in the morning and get things setup. My plane lands at KCI at 2:45 and I should be there around 4:30.

Chris
Early Bird BBQ

Let me know if you / your wife needs any help setting up, I plan on being there between 12-2.

Sticks-n-chicks
09-11-2008, 11:41 AM
Hey man best of luck to you. I really wish I could do this contest but one of the guys I cook with is out of town and the others did not want to do it. For a first time contest this has some decent money in it and if the weather cooperates it looks like a great time. Good luck to you and remember whatever you do HAVE FUN!

If you get restless and feel the need to be near some smoke come on down.

matthew burt
09-11-2008, 11:50 AM
phat jacks will be their in the morning.

The Pickled Pig
09-11-2008, 02:40 PM

Good Q'ing to all.

First contest and flying solo?:eek: You're brave. Let us know if you need anything or if we can help.

Just Pulin' Pork
09-11-2008, 03:09 PM
Bring Your Rain Gear Looks Like You Might Need It!!!

Sticks-n-chicks
09-11-2008, 03:11 PM
thanks. My wife is going to come by Friday night and help prep the boxes and then my son (he's 11) is suppose to have a soccer game Sat. looks like it will get cancelled so hopefully she will be able to help on Saturday with Turn ins.

My canopy is alway open so feel free to come on over. As for needing help...ALWAYS... But seriously I think I will be ok through the night, but a little nervous about the 10-2 time frame. but what the hell it will be a lot of fun, I have been thinking about it for the last 2 weeks and can't wait to fire up the smoker.

The bug has bitten

Sticks-n-chicks
09-11-2008, 03:22 PM
Bring Your Rain Gear Looks Like You Might Need It!!!

Probably best just to wear a swim suit from what I am seeing on weather.com

70% chance of Rain for Friday
60% Change of Thunder storms late friday into saturday.

The Pickled Pig
09-11-2008, 03:29 PM
I might find my way out there Friday night for awhile.

You're always welcome in our tent Bob as long as you bring the usual entertainment...err entertainers.

smknwhlswife
09-11-2008, 06:07 PM
Hey Chris, tell Jana to call me if she wants some help tomorrow while the kids are at school.

matthew burt
09-11-2008, 06:30 PM
thanks. My wife is going to come by Friday night and help prep the boxes and then my son (he's 11) is suppose to have a soccer game Sat. looks like it will get cancelled so hopefully she will be able to help on Saturday with Turn ins.

My canopy is alway open so feel free to come on over. As for needing help...ALWAYS... But seriously I think I will be ok through the night, but a little nervous about the 10-2 time frame. but what the hell it will be a lot of fun, I have been thinking about it for the last 2 weeks and can't wait to fire up the smoker.

The bug has bitten

what is the 10-2 time frame all about?

smknwhlswife
09-11-2008, 06:44 PM
what is the 10-2 time frame all about?

I think he means turn-in time.

Sticks-n-chicks
09-11-2008, 07:23 PM
Turn in time is my concern.

matthew burt
09-11-2008, 07:29 PM
you will be fine, just write down what time everything needs to be on the smoker and write down what time you need to start prepping each box.

smknwhlswife
09-11-2008, 07:32 PM
The worse is usually the "calm before the storm". You'll do great. Just remember to have fun.

Sticks-n-chicks
09-11-2008, 07:54 PM
1. Have fun if not goto step 2
2. Pour scotch move to step 3
3. Drink Scotch move to step 4
4. Have Fun if not refer to step 2

matthew burt
09-13-2008, 04:34 PM
GC Early bird BBQ
RGC resevoir hogs
3rd 4 men and a pig
smoke me tender
brew "n" bar-b-que
all slabbed up
phat jacks
the pickled pig
park avenue pork
smokin with style

chicken
early bird bbq
four men and a pig
reservoir hogs
kan u bbq
phat jacks
smoke me tender
kc q-masters
all slabbed up
the pickled pig

ribs
early bird bbq
reservoir hogs
four men and a pig
smoke me tender
phat jacks
the smoking hills
D-dons pit crew
park avenue pork
brew "n" bar-b-que
all slabbed up

pork
Brew "n" bar-b-que
all slabbed up
early bird bbq
four men and a pig
reservoir hogs
the smoking hills
the pickled pig
smoke me tender
lip lickin bbq
sticks-n-chicks

brisket
brew "n" bar-b-que
smoke me tender
bros. w different mothers
reservoir hogs
smokin with style
park avenue pork
all slabbed up
the pickled pig
early bird
blowin smoke

Just Pulin' Pork
09-13-2008, 05:49 PM
pork
Brew "n" bar-b-que
all slabbed up
early bird bbq
four men and a pig
reservoir hogs
the smoking hills
the pickled pig
smoke me tender
lip lickin bbq
sticks-n-chicks brisket

Hey take a look at 10th place pork, Sticks-n-Chicks! First time at a competition and not only that but he was flying solo. Not only the fact this was his first contest he got poured on and had to dodge tornadoes! Got his first call and finished 12th overall. I got to meet Will today he is one hell of a nice guy! Congrats man!

Ron_L
09-13-2008, 06:00 PM
I highlighted the Brethren teams. If I missed anyone let me know.

Congrats to all who walked!

smknwhlswife
09-13-2008, 06:33 PM
I highlighted the Brethren teams. If I missed anyone let me know.

Congrats to all who walked!

Early Bird is Brethren

smknwhlswife
09-13-2008, 06:35 PM
Congrats everyone!!!! Not an easy weekend.......great job. Will it was nice meeting you.

KC_Bobby
09-13-2008, 07:13 PM
Anyone who participated in this comp (or any other near KC) is a champ in my book - rained the entire time, tornado warnings and high humidity. If you heard your name called - even more power to ya.

Now get home, sit in the A/C, have a bowl of soup (if those two make sense togethe) and get some sleep.

Sticks-n-chicks
09-13-2008, 08:14 PM
What can I say, after going through 4 change of clothes 2 pair of shoes 1 canopy, 4 therms and almost loosing my mind (getting my smoker to temp in the rain) it was a lot of fun. I got to meet some great people, I hadn't been there 15 minutes an Paul introduced himself half hour later Kim comes by, really really helped calm me down. What a great bunch of people...I'm hooked! We even had a brethren stop by (John) who not only was a blast to talk with but helped me tear down. Wow you guys are great and I can't wait to cook near you all soon! Here is a sick thought I am cooking for my church in the morning and I am thinking about Shawnee. My feet arn't dry but my mind is Q'd

One last shout out, thank you Mark (four men and a pig) and thank you "brothers from a different mother" you guys were right there when my canopy went south. I actually latched down the canopy to Marks truck.

Ron_L
09-13-2008, 08:34 PM
Early Bird is Brethren

Thanks, Kim! There's so many of us it's getting hard to keep track.

Sorry, Early Bird! Congrats!

Jeff_in_KC
09-13-2008, 10:44 PM
Congrats everyone! Another weekend of "Survivor: BBQ Style"!

slat
09-14-2008, 12:39 PM
Congrats to everyone that walked.

Jeff_in_KC
09-14-2008, 07:37 PM
I hope this doesn't embarrass him, but I want to recognize a special deed by a class act kinda guy! I was told today that there was a big misunderstanding on the Web site about payouts for this contest. Supposedly, the church had told their Web guy that they had $400 for first places, meaning all FOUR first places (so $100 per category for first) and so on. Not sure but grand and reserve may have been wrong as well (???) So anyway, somehow, the Web site says $400 PER category for first. KCBS said they had to honor that.

Our own Brethren Chris of Early Bird who won the contest told the church contest organizers he understood their situation and would be cutting them a check for a donation. Chris, you are one awesome guy and a true Brother in Smoke! That was ultimate class, my friend!

Just Pulin' Pork
09-14-2008, 09:11 PM
I hope this doesn't embarrass him, but I want to recognize a special deed by a class act kinda guy! I was told today that there was a big misunderstanding on the Web site about payouts for this contest. Supposedly, the church had told their Web guy that they had $400 for first places, meaning all FOUR first places (so $100 per category for first) and so on. Not sure but grand and reserve may have been wrong as well (???) So anyway, somehow, the Web site says $400 PER category for first. KCBS said they had to honor that.

Our own Brethren Chris of Early Bird who won the contest told the church contest organizers he understood their situation and would not hold them to that payout and would be cutting them a check for the difference. If the way I heard the story is true, that's at LEAST an $600 difference, likely more! Chris, you are one awesome guy and a true Brother in Smoke! That was ultimate class, my friend!

Jeff thanks for posting this. I was out there yesterday and before they called the top 3 (the ones in the $$ for each category) they mentioned that anyone that gets a check they need to see so and so. I was wondering what was going on!

Sticks-n-chicks
09-14-2008, 09:16 PM
I had heard that several of the winning teams were giving money back. What a great thing to do. Way to go Early Bird!!

Jeff_in_KC
09-14-2008, 09:42 PM
Jeff thanks for posting this. I was out there yesterday and before they called the top 3 (the ones in the $$ for each category) they mentioned that anyone that gets a check they need to see so and so. I was wondering what was going on!

Jon, I think that was just because they were writing checks after awards from what I heard.

Bunny
09-14-2008, 09:46 PM
Congrats to you, Chris and Jana. On a roll!:eusa_clap

Ron_L
09-14-2008, 09:49 PM

Our own Brethren Chris of Early Bird who won the contest told the church contest organizers he understood their situation and would not hold them to that payout and would be cutting them a check for the difference. If the way I heard the story is true, that's at LEAST an $600 difference, likely more! Chris, you are one awesome guy and a true Brother in Smoke! That was ultimate class, my friend!

Very classy, Chris!

EarlyBird
09-15-2008, 10:56 AM

Our own Brethren Chris of Early Bird who won the contest told the church contest organizers he understood their situation and would be cutting them a check for a donation. Chris, you are one awesome guy and a true Brother in Smoke! That was ultimate class, my friend!

Thanks Jeff.
We chose this contest because it was so close to home (5 miles) and I was going to be out of town all week so Jana could go and setup without me, We did notice the large prize money posted on the web site and we were wondering how they were going to pay that. On Thursday Jana called me in North Carolina and said the web site had changed the prize money. She called the organizer John and he told her of the mistake the webmaster did. He apologized several times and said that they were going to pay 100% of the entry fees. I was OK with that. My plane landed at 3 and I was onsite by 5, just in time for the tornado sirens! Jana went to the cooks meeting and when she came back told me they were going to pay the original posted prize monies and that the church was going to have to eat it. I told her if we did good we should give some of it back. We got 1st in chicken, 1st in ribs and 3rd in pork that paid. Then came the GRAND. When we went to get our checks I told John that we would be making a donation to the church.
Our reasoning: 1. We did not chose this contest because of the money. We would have cooked it no matter what the payout was. It was the closest contest this weekend. 2. It was a first year contest and mistakes were made. We ALL make mistakes. They werenít trying the old bait and switch. It was just a mistake. 3. They were going to pay 100% of the entry fees. What more can you ask then that? 4. They have a spacious parking lot for a cookoff and I would like it be there next year.
We will be dropping off a check to the church this week. Tax deduction! I hope that the other winners find it in their hearts to make a donation so the church does not lose too much on this mistake because like I said earlier, WE ALL MAKE MISTAKES.
A big round of applause for all of the hearty souls who cooked this contest and endured all of the rain and wind. If you stuck it out you are a winner in our eyes.
Iím back in North Carolina this week and land in KC on Thursday. Iíll hop in the truck and start to head south to Hot Springs. Maybe I can get Jana to go ahead of me and get things setup. That seems to work well.

Chris Early
Early Bird BBQ

Paola Greg
09-15-2008, 11:15 AM
A very class act Chris, and congrats on the GC!

Sticks-n-chicks
09-15-2008, 11:33 AM
Chris, I didn't get a change to meet you but the guys I did meet all spoke highly of you prior to what you are doing and this only proves what they said. Way to go "hats off to ya"

Hope to meet you at the next contest.

W

EarlyBird
09-15-2008, 02:01 PM
Chris, I didn't get a change to meet you but the guys I did meet all spoke highly of you prior to what you are doing and this only proves what they said. Way to go "hats off to ya"

Hope to meet you at the next contest.

W

I didn't get out much this contest. Late arrival and weather. But stop on by at any contest we're at. We'll be at the ROYAL and the Independence, contest at the Fountains Seniors home. Its always nice to meet more Brethren.

Chris