PDA

View Full Version : How Is This For Prize Money?

Jacked UP BBQ
09-09-2008, 07:40 PM
We are doing a one day comp in NJ in the beginning of May and here is a copy of the entry fee and prize money. What do you guys think? Will we get some interest?

BBQ TEAM ENTRY FORM

TEAM NAME:________________________________

HEAD COOK:________________________________

ADDRESS:___________________________________

CITY:_________________STATE:_____ZIP:_______

PHONE:_______________EMAIL:_______________

NUMBER OF TEAM MEMBERS:________________

ENTRY FEE

BBQ CONTEST $100.00
(ALL CATEGORIES)

PEOPLE’S CHOICE $25.00
(RIBS ONLY)

PRIZES AS FOLLOWS:
CHICKEN
5TH RIBOON
4TH RIBBON
3RD $50 TROPHY
2ND $75 TROPHY
1ST $150 TROPHY

RIBS
5TH RIBBON
4TH RIBBON
3RD $50 TROPHY
2ND $75 TROPHY
3RD $150 TROPHY

ANYTHING BUT DESSERT
5TH RIBBON
4TH RIBBON
3RD $50 TROPHY
2ND $75 TROPHY
1ST $150 TROPHY

RESERVE
$300
GRAND CHAMPION
$500

PEOPLE'S CHOICE WILL BE A BIG TROPHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ron_L
09-09-2008, 07:58 PM
The formatting is screwed up so it's very hard to tell what is what.

Sledneck
09-09-2008, 08:56 PM
I am in

Bbq Bubba
09-09-2008, 11:00 PM
$100.00 entry and only $150.00 for 1st place?

Bigmista
09-10-2008, 01:13 AM
$500 for GC is fair.

We would jump on it in Cali because we don't have as many contests as they do in the Midwest and the south.

Double D's BBQ
09-10-2008, 04:15 AM
I wouldn't even consider it. You're guaranteed to lose money even if you win the grand. Too many other contests with better odds than that.

Sledneck
09-10-2008, 07:32 AM
I wouldn't even consider it. You're guaranteed to lose money even if you win the grand. Too many other contests with better odds than that.
$500 for a chicken and rib contest is not enough? How expensive are ribs & chix in ohio?

U2CANQUE
09-10-2008, 07:44 AM
laughing, well, the chicken and ribs are reasonable, it is that damn oil that is killing all.........but, if it was in the immediate area, with a group of friends it would be a blast....

Double D's BBQ
09-10-2008, 07:57 AM
You have to consider other things like opportunity costs, time off work. For an extra hundred dollars I can enter a KCBS sanctioned contest with a $10,000 payoff for an extra hundred over that a $50,000 contest.

So many comps so few dollars and time to spend them on. Choose your competitions wisely!

Ron_L
09-10-2008, 08:00 AM
If it was local (within an hour drive) I'd probably enter.

Jacked UP BBQ
09-10-2008, 08:05 AM
You have to consider other things like opportunity costs, time off work. For an extra hundred dollars I can enter a KCBS sanctioned contest with a $10,000 payoff for an extra hundred over that a $50,000 contest.

So many comps so few dollars and time to spend them on. Choose your competitions wisely!

with a $10,000 pay off with 80 teams, split up over four categories, after an entire weekend of work, if you win grand champion and take first place in two categories and have three team members, you made about ten dollars an hour? Consider that! One day comps are easy and fun.

Jacked UP BBQ
09-10-2008, 08:07 AM
$100.00 entry and only $150.00 for 1st place?

per category! I have been to kcbs comps where the entry fee is 275 and first place doesn't even cover that! another thing, this is for charity, not some organizers pocket.

ThomEmery
09-10-2008, 08:12 AM
$500 for GC is fair.

We would jump on it in Cali because we don't have as many contests as they do in the Midwest and the south.

Working on it but yes

ThomEmery
09-10-2008, 08:15 AM

Brother You do remember competition cooking for the joy of it LOL right? :)

U2CANQUE
09-10-2008, 08:25 AM
Good reminder......uhhhh, sounds like someone I know.......wait, lol, that one is Brett Favre'ish......

WannaBeBBQueen
09-10-2008, 08:40 AM
Sounds good to me, we'd join in :biggrin:

Double D's BBQ
09-10-2008, 08:49 AM
with a $10,000 pay off with 80 teams, split up over four categories, after an entire weekend of work, if you win grand champion and take first place in two categories and have three team members, you made about ten dollars an hour? Consider that! One day comps are easy and fun.

Well you asked for opinions and you got mine. Sorry you don't like the answer. The answer to this question will vary by each individual. My answer still stands, I would chose not to participate. Nothing wrong with that. Like I said there are lots of contests most with supporting some form of charity. I just like bigger contests with a chance of making a little money. If I was doing this for a per hour payout, I wouldn't be cooking in any contests.

Double D's BBQ
09-10-2008, 08:53 AM
Brother You do remember competition cooking for the joy of it LOL right? :)

I still do Thom. Like I said there are more contests to choose from than there are time and money. A big factor also is how the cooks are treated at contests. There are some contests that I will never ever cook in again because of it. In the end were all consumers with choices on how to spend our time and money. Support the contests you like and hopefully they'll flourish.

ssbbqguy
09-10-2008, 08:53 AM
What no one has brought up is judging. Sure there is less costs, maybe on local deals, but if promoters brother in-law judges, then what? That is the main reason I focus on bigger contests. Besides, if your competing, it feels so much better beating big dogs, not inexperienced cooks. The assocs. have thier problems, but fair,blind judging works for me. Steve.

Jacked UP BBQ
09-10-2008, 09:03 AM
What no one has brought up is judging. Sure there is less costs, maybe on local deals, but if promoters brother in-law judges, then what? That is the main reason I focus on bigger contests. Besides, if your competing, it feels so much better beating big dogs, not inexperienced cooks. The assocs. have thier problems, but fair,blind judging works for me. Steve.

Brother in law of the promoter was born with taste buds from the same god as kcbs judge. This contest is for fun, and maybe win some money along the way. The judging will be blind. If you guys are in comps to make money, don't quit your day jobs. This is suppose to be fun, something to do on a saturday instead of sitting home listening to the old lady biotch. A 15 year old can learn to judge if he is given the basic standards. There is nothing tough about that. Also Please define BIG DOG, because our one day comps are filled with successful BBQ teams. Also inexperienced cooks need to start somehwere as you once did, we beat the BIG DOGS at our first KCBS comp we never even cooked a brisket before and took 4th place out of 40 teams. This would be a fun even, wish you guys could make it but you are all the way in ohio.:mrgreen:

Sledneck
09-10-2008, 09:06 AM
Dont forget that this contest would also have all you can drink espresso included:tongue::biggrin:

Jacked UP BBQ
09-10-2008, 09:08 AM
Dont forget that this contest would also have all you can drink espresso included:tongue::biggrin:

All the espresso at my stand and all of the slushies at slednecks!!:icon_clown:lol:

Sledneck
09-10-2008, 09:18 AM
Williepalooza was a $100 entry fee contest that even with me taking RGC and 1st in brisket only won me about i think it was about $136 and that was the main 4 categories with the addition of chili and chefs choice. I would do it again even if didnt pay out at all, it was that much fun. Hanging and competing against friends for a weekend with no pressure was great and the best time I have ever had at a contest

ssbbqguy
09-10-2008, 10:28 AM
A fifteen year old has not had the time on earth to become proficient at judging. As bright as young people are today, there is no way. To be point blank about your question, when my expenses run more than what I can win, I have to have a real good reason to go. If my goals were to spend $800.00 to $1000.00 to hang out, that would be fine.Even $450.00 on a local deal is more than I want to spend socalizing even with even the greatest of people. To the people who can do this, great, I hope you have fun, the main reason. Yes we all start out somewhat equal, some work harder on the journey than others. Doen't make one better, just different. Big dogs are pros. or anyone hot at the time. And my day job is BBQ. Steve.

Jacked UP BBQ
09-10-2008, 10:41 AM
I do it for fun and to hang out, and hey if we win some money along the way thats great. If not, we at least met and hung out with a bunch of good people. Thanks for your input. I hope you get a lot of GC's in your upcoming events.

Sledneck
09-10-2008, 10:48 AM
A fifteen year old has not had the time on earth to become proficient at judging. As bright as young people are today, there is no way. To be point blank about your question, when my expenses run more than what I can win, I have to have a real good reason to go. If my goals were to spend $800.00 to $1000.00 to hang out, that would be fine.Even $450.00 on a local deal is more than I want to spend socalizing even with even the greatest of people. To the people who can do this, great, I hope you have fun, the main reason. Yes we all start out somewhat equal, some work harder on the journey than others. Doen't make one better, just different. Big dogs are pros. or anyone hot at the time. And my day job is BBQ. Steve.My 14 year old knows more about que than most CBJ's

Jacked UP BBQ
09-10-2008, 11:35 AM
Sledneck - Let Your Son Enter A Team, He Will Probably Kick Our Farking Arses!!!!

Papa Hogg
09-10-2008, 11:54 AM
My 14 year old knows more about que than most CBJ's

So do my 5 & 3 year olds :rolleyes:

Bigmista
09-10-2008, 12:50 PM
Hey we do backyard contests out here with pies and cookies as the prizes. We all just chip in on the rental fee for the park. Some of us donate products for a basket for the judges. We get almost 100% CBJ's and the fill out comment cards for the cooks.

WE compete, we learn, we have a good time.

No prize money.

BBQchef33
09-10-2008, 01:24 PM
i would do it..

its for fun, its for charity, its one day and its 100 bucks. Costs me that much to bring the family to the beach for the day. Like mista says, I too would do it for cookies and pies in the prize pool. I never signed up in this hobby to make $$$. Only once did I come out ahead at a contest, and that got eaten up at the next one. Small, one day, local events just make it easier and keep you on your game.

i think however, a big factor here is location, location,location...its is a NJ one day contest.

Unlike the mofos and central folks, we dont have 50 contests every weekend for 9 months of the year all within 100 miles. We dont have the luxury of being able to compete every weekend and never be a whole days drive from home.

instead, we have maybe a bit more than dozen to choose from the entire season(may-oct) thats within a 6-7 hour drive. So we cant really afford to be that picky unless we want to drive further, and the gas costs eat up any chance of coming out in the black.

as in alot of things in life... location, location, location..

The_Kapn
09-18-2008, 04:53 PM
Phil hit it on the head---Location.

If this was in my town, and I was not busy --- SURE!

If I gotta drive a bunch and absorb expenses --- No way.

Those are two really different situations.

JMHO,

TIM

swamprb
09-18-2008, 07:38 PM
I'd agree with Bigmista and Thom, if it were in the PNW it would be a go.

CivilWarBBQ
09-19-2008, 12:42 AM
We would enter that contest if it were less than 3 hours away. Wouldn't do the People's Choice though.