PDA

View Full Version : Contest Results Silver Lake Sand Dunes Apple & BBQ Cookoff Festival Silver Lake, MI. September 12 & 13 2008 ***Results Added***

tonto1117
09-03-2008, 06:55 AM
Looking foward to a fun weekend and hopefully some beautifull early Fall weather and some Honey Crisp apples!! Who's in?

Bbq Bubba
09-03-2008, 08:17 AM
Theresa.....
This event has been cancelled.
Maybe you should sign up for Sharonville.......:twisted: :cool: :biggrin:

Can we park next to you??? (windblock mod) 8-)

tonto1117
09-03-2008, 09:11 AM
Can we park next to you??? (windblock mod) 8-)

No problem.....you can set up camp on the side of the coach facing the dunes..:twisted::tongue:. Also don't forget to put up that big azz canopy...always wanted to see you wind surf....:biggrin:

Seriously, I sure hope it's not as bad as last year...we had it pretty good, but the guys up front had wind burn.

Scottie
09-03-2008, 09:22 AM
Was it windy? I don't even remember that.. But my backside of my RV might of been blocking that too...

Great contest... Jeff has made it better each year. Location is awesome and the crowds are unbelievable...

Try and have fun without me... :roll:

Bbq Bubba
09-03-2008, 09:30 AM
Was it windy? I don't even remember that.. But my backside of my RV might of been blocking that too...

Great contest... Jeff has made it better each year. Location is awesome and the crowds are unbelievable...

You will be quite missed this year Scottie.......:twisted:
Definetly saves on GJ!!

tonto1117
09-03-2008, 10:24 AM
They are at 30+ teams as of this morning.:cool: Anybody up for a potluck on Friday night? Jeff has been kind enough to say we can use the judging tent for it after the Amateur BBQ awards which is at 6:00pm....so I'm thinking 6:30pm would work. If so put me down for a tray of smoked sausage, onions and peppers.

Somthings telling me to pack an extra bottle of JD....just in case...:wink:

Scottie
09-03-2008, 10:58 AM
I've got a free entry to the Salem, Illinois contest... But you can save that bottle for me for another time! :wink:

Ford
09-03-2008, 05:25 PM
I've got a free entry to the Salem, Illinois contest... But you can save that bottle for me for another time! :wink:
Are you still doing Salem now that it is not sanctioned? If yes- way to go. I hope you guys can save it for next year although I'll always choose Silver Lake over it.

Ford
09-03-2008, 05:28 PM
Carol and I will be there and we are planning to bring our new secret weapon.

I'm taking the week off so I should be able to cook something for a pot luck. Will let you know sometime next week. May bring some cider and Cap'n if somebody brings a stove to cook it on.

tonto1117
09-03-2008, 05:42 PM
Carol and I will be there and we are planning to bring our new secret weapon.

I'm taking the week off so I should be able to cook something for a pot luck. Will let you know sometime next week. May bring some cider and Cap'n if somebody brings a stove to cook it on.

Have stove...will travel....:-D 8)

Coz
09-03-2008, 05:50 PM
New secret Weapon???

Coz
09-03-2008, 05:51 PM
Maybe I could convince the wife I was abducted for a day or two...

Bud's BBQ
09-03-2008, 07:02 PM
...... a nine twenty two shot?????

Ford
09-03-2008, 07:50 PM
New secret Weapon???Not something you'd be interested in. A new team member and official taste tester. AKA Pearl the 9 week old Brittany pup. Hopefully we pick her up this Saturday.

Coz
09-03-2008, 09:24 PM
Shoot I was all ready to sneak out and worm my way around the pond to see some new fancy cooker or sumthin.Dogs are good too.Now there wont be any chicken left to taste....

michiana mark
09-04-2008, 12:53 PM
I'm in, will be bringing the Gator for the last ride. The folks at Beale St. Smokehouse BBQ bought it at Mt. Moriss, with the stipulation that I bring it to Silver Lake, and point them in the right direction. Will be drumming it myself that weekend. Potluck sounds good.

Got a nice info package in mail yesterday from Jeff Clark, great organizer.

Anyone live near, or passing by Ann Arbor on the way home? College student complaing about cafeteria food mod.

J Appledog
09-04-2008, 08:40 PM
I am sick as a dog up in northern Michigan right now. Hoping like heck to be well enough to cook next weekend. Theresa, let me know more about the potluck. Anyone need our room at the Dunes on Saturday night after the comp? We had to sign up for 2 nights.

Spydermike72
09-05-2008, 06:52 AM
I hope to be there. I have been busy as heck at work with Hurrican Gustav, and now they are saying that Ike may hit Florida as a Category 2 or 3. If it hits the right spot in Florida I am basically screwed and have to stay home and work...

Bbq Bubba
09-05-2008, 07:59 AM
I hope to be there. I have been busy as heck at work with Hurrican Gustav, and now they are saying that Ike may hit Florida as a Category 2 or 3. If it hits the right spot in Florida I am basically screwed and have to stay home and work...

Ya, you would make me cook by myself......

MikeyZ
09-05-2008, 12:48 PM
Motley Que will be rolling in Friday. We'll have the MI team and a few friends. Looking forward to seeing everyone! I hope it's less windy this year.

Spydermike72
09-05-2008, 06:41 PM
Ya, you would make me cook by myself......

Maybe you wont wonder off when you should be tending to the chicken... :shock::twisted:

Bavarian Smoke
09-07-2008, 11:31 AM
We will be coming friday morning. Hope the weather is better then last year. See you all on friday.

Cheech
09-07-2008, 03:00 PM
I will be there been told I get to be a judge this time.

Spydermike72
09-07-2008, 08:57 PM
We will be coming friday morning. Hope the weather is better then last year. See you all on friday.

They are calling for Rain Fri and Sunny Sat... http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/USMI0376?from=36hr_fcst10DayLink_undeclared

crewdawg52
09-07-2008, 10:20 PM
They are calling for Rain Fri and Sunny Sat... http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/USMI0376?from=36hr_fcst10DayLink_undeclared

Kinda like last year......figures. Hope to see ya'll thar!

tonto1117
09-08-2008, 06:12 AM
Kinda like last year......figures. Hope to see ya'll thar!

They changed it up a bit as of this morning.... a little better....

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?site=GRR&llon=-86.642088&rlon=-85.939588&tlat=43.995417&blat=43.292917&smap=1&marine=1&mp=1&map.x=54&map.y=120

Sounds like only 3 or 4 of us are interested in a potluck, so I'm thinking fend for ourselves might be the way to go unlesss more folks jump on the bandwagon this week.

Ford
09-08-2008, 06:28 AM
Plans are changing. With the Parvo virus scare around West Michigan we are not bringing the puppy and that means I'm not bringing Carol. So if anybody wants to run boxes for me I'll offer Breakfast in return plus some take home samples if desired.

I'm really looking forward to the contest especially the sleep I'll be able to get. Pearl actually slept for nearly 3 hours last night before crying to go out. I understand the "what goes in must come out" concept but she adds new meaning to it. She can store it so it comes out in installments every 2-3 hours.

Hopefully I'll bring a 1/2 pan of creamy chicken encheladas for dinner Friday.

tonto1117
09-08-2008, 08:36 AM
Plans are changing. With the Parvo virus scare around West Michigan we are not bringing the puppy and that means I'm not bringing Carol. So if anybody wants to run boxes for me I'll offer Breakfast in return plus some take home samples if desired.

I'm really looking forward to the contest especially the sleep I'll be able to get. Pearl actually slept for nearly 3 hours last night before crying to go out. I understand the "what goes in must come out" concept but she adds new meaning to it. She can store it so it comes out in installments every 2-3 hours.

Ah , yes....I remember those first couple of months with the little one :wink: Just called the vet...didn't know about the Parvo virus scare(living in a bubble mod)said Maggie is up to date on all vacines...but a good idea to keep her away from strange dogs.

Whatever I decide to make on Friday, I'll bring enough to share. Hope you can find a runner.

J Appledog
09-08-2008, 10:11 AM
Theresa,

Can you post any details about the potluck?

Do you know anything about the dessert and apple/pork categories? Like times and turn-in containers?

I need sleep...

Scottie
09-08-2008, 10:14 AM
So I guess that means you are not the RAT again Julie?

Spydermike72
09-08-2008, 10:20 AM

Ford, if I can make it, I will have a runner for you. Either Michael or Travis, I think Travis is already commited to Mark... :mrgreen:

tonto1117
09-08-2008, 11:02 AM
Theresa,

Can you post any details about the potluck?

Do you know anything about the dessert and apple/pork categories? Like times and turn-in containers?

I need sleep...

You know as much a I do on the Potluck.....so far only you, me, Mark and Ford have said they have an interest....so either the few of us can get together or as I said in an earlier post just fend for ourselves....I'm fine with whatever ya'll want to do.

Think you already recieved this from Jeff....but here it is for anyone else that wants to know. They are still determining Ribbon/Prize Money for said catergories...will post as soon as I hear:

All entrees prepared on site
Open turn in display (no box unless your choice)
Three categories.

1. Apple Dessert
2. Apple Salad
3. Apple/ Pork Entrée

We will give you some local grown apples to use but you can bring your own apples
Turn in time
5 pm -5:15 pm (at a site to be determined yet)

Hope this helps
Jeff

J Appledog
09-08-2008, 11:05 AM
So I guess that means you are not the RAT again Julie?
We're cooking this weekend, Scottie! I'm still sick as a dog but think we can pull it off.

Good luck to you this weekend.

JCA

michiana mark
09-08-2008, 01:16 PM

Aren't you the Gloomy Gus:mad:

sfisch
09-08-2008, 06:48 PM
I'm liking the sounds of Fords cider-n-capn mixture a whole lot better than that crap flavored kerosene you made me drink in Mt. Morris.
Was hoping to get up there Friday but it doesn't look to promising. Have fun, like I had to say that.

Scott

tonto1117
09-09-2008, 07:39 AM
Heard it is up to 40 teams with a waiting list now.....

Bbq Bubba
09-09-2008, 08:26 AM
Heard it is up to 40 teams with a waiting list now.....

WOW......:shock:

tonto1117
09-09-2008, 02:42 PM
You know as much a I do on the Potluck.....so far only you, me, Mark and Ford have said they have an interest....so either the few of us can get together or as I said in an earlier post just fend for ourselves....I'm fine with whatever ya'll want to do.

Think you already recieved this from Jeff....but here it is for anyone else that wants to know. They are still determining Ribbon/Prize Money for said catergories...will post as soon as I hear:

All entrees prepared on site
Open turn in display (no box unless your choice)
Three categories.

1. Apple Dessert
2. Apple Salad
3. Apple/ Pork Entrée

We will give you some local grown apples to use but you can bring your own apples
Turn in time
5 pm -5:15 pm (at a site to be determined yet)

Hope this helps
Jeff

$50.00 dollars to the winner in each catergory for anyone who might be interested.

Ford
09-11-2008, 10:17 AM
I have a runner. :eek: Thanks to everybody for the help.

I just finished prepping my breakfast strata and it's pre-cooking in the oven. In honor of the apple festival it's a sausage, onion, apple mix with of course cheese on top. It overfilled the pan there was so much stuffing.

I also found real nice parsley at Meijers Rockford but they are just about out now. :biggrin:

I'll finish packing later this afternoon and plan to hit the road around 7 tomorrow so should be there by 8:30 or so. :icon_cool

Captian Dan
09-11-2008, 04:42 PM
I know I told ya I'd be there sat mornin Ford, but I may have changed my mind, I may come up tomorrow instead. I'm thinkin somewhere between noon and 2 pm. I want to help ya set-up, and make the rounds to see if I can put the hex/wammy on the competition! Thanks for the directions, see you all tomorrow.!:icon_devil

bbqbull
09-13-2008, 01:20 PM
Any updates on this contest?

sfisch
09-13-2008, 02:32 PM
Bull;
I think they are figuring out ways how to keep dry!!

Scott

bbqbull
09-13-2008, 04:16 PM
Bull;

Scott

I hear ya on that one Scott!

puff
09-13-2008, 06:01 PM
I just tried calling Bubba and his voicemail picked up.......sounded like it was under water.:shock:

crewdawg52
09-13-2008, 08:11 PM
I have a runner. :eek: Thanks to everybody for the help.

I just finished prepping my breakfast strata and it's pre-cooking in the oven. In honor of the apple festival it's a sausage, onion, apple mix with of course cheese on top. It overfilled the pan there was so much stuffing.

:icon_cool

Many, many thanks Ford! Twas very "Good Eats"! :grin:

Ron_L
09-13-2008, 08:36 PM
From "another forum"

Grand champion: All Day Smoke
Reserve Grand Champion: Extreme Roasters

crewdawg52
09-13-2008, 08:37 PM
Bull;

Scott

Brought the rain gear and did'nt really use it. Was just a light, steady "heavy sprinkle" with no wind. Began about 0500 hrs and quit just in time for awards. Thank goodness the grounds weren't clay based or we would have been swimming.

Spydermike72
09-14-2008, 04:20 AM
Here are the Top 11 Overall:

1. All Day Smoke (GC)
2. Extreme Roasters (RGC)
3. Quau
4. Red Wagon BBQ
5. Smokin Scotsmen
6. CancersucksChicago.com
7. M22 Barbecue
8. Great Lakes BBQ/Feed Co
9. Pork of the North
10. Straight Meat BBQ Boys
11. Rubbed Smoked and Sauced
(Brethren Teams in Bold)

It was a great contest except for the rain and the 100% humidity!!

Congrats to Jim and Troy for holding serve on the Home Court!! Also to Matt from Red Wagon BBQ, this was his 2nd KCBS contest and to come home with a #4 in this filed is pretty impressive!!

Spydermike72
09-14-2008, 04:23 AM
I'm liking the sounds of Fords cider-n-capn mixture a whole lot better than that crap flavored kerosene you made me drink in Mt. Morris.
Was hoping to get up there Friday but it doesn't look to promising. Have fun, like I had to say that.

Scott

There was not too much of the "crap flavored kerosene" (aka Jack Daniels) going around our spot was there Mark ?? :mrgreen::cool:

Spydermike72
09-14-2008, 04:25 AM
I just tried calling Bubba and his voicemail picked up.......sounded like it was under water.:shock:

Hey Puff, we were un-loading our trailer when you called, how come you werent out there this weekend ??? :twisted::mrgreen:

Spydermike72
09-14-2008, 04:26 AM
Many, many thanks Ford! Twas very "Good Eats"! :grin:

umm Yeah, it was Good Eats!! Thanks very much Ford!!

Captian Dan
09-14-2008, 04:42 AM
Had a great time with all you folks, and was alot of fun hanging out with Ford and staying pretty dry. Kinda funny, I get hooked up with a guy who has a wonderful trailer set-up and smokers that stay inside, out of the weather and what do I do, walk around in the rain and get wet all day!:roll:

Congrats to all the teams, and especially the brethren teams.Looking forward to next years event. I'll be there as a team, or as a hand for someone, or possibly a judge.

Ron_L
09-14-2008, 08:22 AM
Congrats to all of the Brethren!

Here are the full top 10s...

Chicken:
1- Quau
2- Extreme Roasters
3- Grilladelic
4- Red Wagon BBQ
5- Brazen Q
6- Coyote Cafe
7- M22 BBQ
8- Donnies BBQ
9- Hot Smokey And Righteous
10- Pork of the North

Ribs:
1-Motley Que Crew
2-All Day Smoke
3-Extreme Roasters
4-Red Wagon BBQ
5-Bavarian Smoke
6-Cancer Sucks
7-M22 BBQ
8-Home Smokin
9-Straight Meat
10-Aww Hell

Pork :
1-All Day Smoke
2-Big Moe's
3-Great Lakes BBQ/Feed
4-Smokin Scottsmen
5-Cancer Sucks
6-Hickory Bbq and Grill
7-Quau
8-Red Wagon Bbq
9-Roadmaster Bbq
10-Motley Que Crew

Brisket:
1-Extreme Roasters
2-Quau
3-Pork of the North
4-All Day Smoke
5-Rubbed Smoked Sauced
6-Straight Meat Bbq
7-Smokin Scottsmen
8-M22 Bbq
9-Red Wagon Bbq
10-Down Home Bbq

Top Ten
Grand-All Day Smoke (652.5714)
Reserve-Extreme Roasters
3-Quau
4-Red Wagon Bbq
5-Smokin Scottsmen
6-Cancer Sucks
7-M22 Bbq
8-Great Lakes Bbq/Feed
9-Pork of the North
10-Straight Meat Bbq

sfisch
09-14-2008, 09:05 AM
Well I'm sure glad that the weather wasn't as bad as it was down here and it looks like you all had a great time. Congrat's to everyone who participated.

Scott

michiana mark
09-14-2008, 09:58 AM
There was not too much of the "crap flavored kerosene" (aka Jack Daniels) going around our spot was there Mark ?? :mrgreen::cool:

Never seen a drop spilled in vain. Thanks to Beale St. Smokehouse gang for resupply run.:-P

Ford
09-14-2008, 10:48 AM
Maybe too much of the horrible tasting stuff Friday night or maybe it was just no sleep. Had a great time. The folks at Silver Lake take real good care of cooks and have a very good contest.

Great seeing everybody and thanks to Dan for the help. And for the record he sure can knock back the Long Island Ice Tea and the Hot Apple Pie and still keep going.

bbqbull
09-14-2008, 11:00 AM
Congrats to all of the Brethren!

Here are the full top 10s...

Chicken:
1- Quau
2- Extreme Roasters
3- Grilladelic
4- Red Wagon BBQ
5- Brazen Q
6- Coyote Cafe
7- M22 BBQ
8- Donnies BBQ
9- Hot Smokey And Righteous
10- Pork of the North

Ribs:
1-Motley Que Crew
2-All Day Smoke
3-Extreme Roasters
4-Red Wagon BBQ
5-Bavarian Smoke
6-Cancer Sucks
7-M22 BBQ
8-Home Smokin
9-Straight Meat
10-Aww Hell

Pork :
1-All Day Smoke
2-Big Moe's
3-Great Lakes BBQ/Feed
4-Smokin Scottsmen
5-Cancer Sucks
6-Hickory Bbq and Grill
7-Quau
8-Red Wagon Bbq
9-Roadmaster Bbq
10-Motley Que Crew

Brisket:
1-Extreme Roasters
2-Quau
3-Pork of the North
4-All Day Smoke
5-Rubbed Smoked Sauced
6-Straight Meat Bbq
7-Smokin Scottsmen
8-M22 Bbq
9-Red Wagon Bbq
10-Down Home Bbq

Top Ten
Grand-All Day Smoke (652.5714)
Reserve-Extreme Roasters
3-Quau
4-Red Wagon Bbq
5-Smokin Scottsmen
6-Cancer Sucks
7-M22 Bbq
8-Great Lakes Bbq/Feed
9-Pork of the North
10-Straight Meat Bbq

Congrats to all the Brethren teams that walked.

CajunSmoker
09-14-2008, 11:07 AM
Congrats to all the teams that walked. Sounds like a good time was had by all:cool:

slat
09-14-2008, 12:41 PM
Congrats to everyone that got a call.

sfisch
09-14-2008, 03:20 PM
Long island iced teas and apple pie, now thats what I'm talking about!!
Mark, do you have the Beale Street gang hooked now that they have their new cooker!

Scott

J Appledog
09-14-2008, 04:01 PM
Thanks for the congratulations everyone! And congratulations to all who also walked. It was exciting to get all those calls with a new team name, coming out for the first time (with our own team) in 2 or 3 years. Many thanks especially to Theresa/Tonto for showing me how to put a parsley box together.

What was the result of the Michigan Trifecta? All Day Smoke?

Bbq Bubba
09-14-2008, 04:08 PM
Congrats Julie, you guys had a great day!!
All Day Smoke didn't enter the Trifecta...:cry:
Another great contest put on by Jeff, he held off the rain as long as he could!
Fairly happy with our finish, didn't get many pics due to the rain and Jack....:shock:
Can't believe our season is over already, lookin forward to next year with the possibility of 6 Michigan events!

Ron_L
09-14-2008, 05:02 PM
It was exciting to get all those calls with a new team name,

What's your new team name, Julie? Is it M22? I was wondering who that was.

puff
09-14-2008, 06:15 PM
Hey Puff, we were un-loading our trailer when you called, how come you werent out there this weekend ??? :twisted::mrgreen:
It was raining.:razz: :shock: :icon_blush:
See you in Flushing :twisted: :wink:
Congrats to all that got called. :-D

J Appledog
09-14-2008, 07:29 PM
What's your new team name, Julie? Is it M22? I was wondering who that was.

Yes, Ron, we are M22 BBQ. There was a very cool, rustic little shack up near our cottage in Onekama, MI (44:21:56.639N, 86:15:33.858W), on highway M22. My husband and I always dreamed of having a BBQ/smoked fish biz run out of that building for 4 months of the year called M22 BBQ.

Last year the owner "prettied it up" with beige aluminum siding and a blue metal roof. Meanwhile, some young bucks have trademarked the M22 name for a line of hats, tee-shirts, etc. I hear, from a fwinemaker friend, who blends their M22 wine, that they are very litigious. We may end up being Mrs. Dog's/M22 BBQ....

My team rocks!

Bud's BBQ
09-14-2008, 08:00 PM
Yes, Ron, we are M22 BBQ. There was a very cool, rustic little shack up near our cottage in Onekama, MI (44:21:56.639N, 86:15:33.858W), on highway M22. My husband and I always dreamed of having a BBQ/smoked fish biz run out of that building for 4 months of the year called M22 BBQ.

Last year the owner "prettied it up" with beige aluminum siding and a blue metal roof. Meanwhile, some young bucks have trademarked the M22 name for a line of hats, tee-shirts, etc. I hear, from a fwinemaker friend, who blends their M22 wine, that they are very litigious. We may end up being Mrs. Dog's/M22 BBQ....

My team rocks!

Julie, your team does rock!!!!

Congratulations to all who walked and great job M22 BBQ!! The event was great in spite of the rain. At least there was no heavy wind and cold like last year. Jeff and his team "got 'er done"

Bbq Bubba
09-14-2008, 08:39 PM
Julie, your team does rock!!!!

Congratulations to all who walked and great job M22 BBQ!! The event was great in spite of the rain. At least there was no heavy wind and cold like last year. Jeff and his team "got 'er done"

And special thanks to the good Rev. Walt for the beautiful 9:22 shot, er....sermon! :cool:

Ron_L
09-14-2008, 09:10 PM

My team rocks!

Nice story. I hope the name sticks. Congrats on Silver Lake.

Plowboy
09-14-2008, 11:20 PM
Rubbed, Smoked, and Sauced - Nice job on the brisket! :biggrin:

Bbq Bubba
09-14-2008, 11:41 PM

Used that "secret weapon"....Good stuff! :cool:

Spydermike72
09-15-2008, 06:00 AM

Thanks Todd!!

michiana mark
09-16-2008, 12:12 AM
Used that "secret weapon"....Good stuff! :cool:

When do I get mine?:?:

michiana mark
09-16-2008, 12:20 AM
Bud, we did not get much of a chance to converse, haggle, cajole, dicker, search out each others weaknesses, bait and switch, mis-direct, get down to brass tacks, under value,or over inflate the priceof that pile of scrap iron you would like to be rid off, over the winter time. I walked into the garage this morning, and I immediately had pit seperation anxiety. Maybe I should have had another shot, at say 9:22, and then one every 5 minutes after that, until the anxiety subsides. What do you think? Oh, that's right, your'e a man of the cloth, not a Phyciatrist.

Bud's BBQ
09-16-2008, 09:34 AM
Mark - LMAO :-P:lol:

As the Right Reverend Billy Sol Hargus once said: Bring me your heavy heart, your tired soul and your rusty pit:icon_pissed

I'll pm you..........more of the Lang hyperbole

U2CANQUE
09-16-2008, 10:08 AM
Now that you guys have practiced at the Michigan Comps who all is wanting to head down to Nelsonville?.......looking forward to running into ya before the snows start pelting down.....

Neil
09-18-2008, 03:53 AM

My team rocks!

Ahh Onekama, one of our favorite little places to travel through. Congrats on the walk Julie.