PDA

View Full Version : Contest Announcment The NEW 12th Annual Official Ohio Smoked Meat and Barbecue Festival, Nelsonville, Ohio - October 17 - 18, 2008 ***Updated***

beardjp
08-30-2008, 02:37 PM
Finally the 12th Annual Official Ohio Smoked Meat and Barbecue Festival - State Championship is scheduled for October 17 - 18, 2008, at Hocking College in Nelsonville, Ohio.

The entry fee is $200 with the following categories;
Chicken
Ribs
Pork (Shoulder/Butt)
Brisket
Dessert
For further information you can contact Carl Franz (franz_c@hocking.edu)or Tom Lambrecht (lambrecht_t@hocking.edu)
(740) 753-3531

I can also email you an electronic version of the entry form, if you Email me at (beardjp@yahoo.com).

It would be great to have a big turnout for this event even with short notice. Maybe this year we can convince the organizers that early notification is the key.

Bbq Bubba
08-30-2008, 02:39 PM
Glad to see you made it over!
Hopefully we can get some interest in this comp! :biggrin:

Rolling Smoke
08-31-2008, 07:33 AM
Maybe this year we can convince the organizers that early notification is the key.

I don't know what it's going to take to convince them of that. A couple of us drilled that into them last year and I know of several people who have been trying since March of this year to get some kind of reaction out of them but it has all seemingly fallen on deaf ears. I personally offered to do what I could to help promote this contest and never got the benefit of a reply.

To add insult to injury, the RGC from last year never received as much as a ribbon for his efforts. KCBS rules state that a contest must pay Grand, Reserve and five places in each category. In addition to snubbing the RGC team, one of the 1st place category winners is still waiting to receive his trophy which couldn't be presented during the awards because it had been damaged in handling.

Nelsonville was my very first contest in 2002 and I have cooked it every year since but I doubt that I will be there this year. I've met a lot of great people there and had a lot of good (and not so good) memories and I always looked forward to ending the season with this contest.

I would love to hear this contest being brought back to life but you can't help those that do not want to be helped and all I'm hearing right now is the sound of taps being played.

Ford
08-31-2008, 07:58 AM
I used to do this contest every year. then things didn't go so good and a closer one showed up on that weekend. It's also a nice contest. So for me to head back now there needs to be a big reason. Lets start with seeing a list of 25 teams that have paid being posted. Without that I just don't think I'll be there. And posted prize money because all I see on this notice is how much it costs us.

Remember this contest succeeded because it was an automatic to the Jack. last year it wasn't a qualifier. It takes hard work and lots of promoting to be successful. It's not like "if you build it they will come" at least not anymore.

Rick's Tropical Delight
08-31-2008, 08:28 AM
it's the same weekend as the eggtoberfest at the big green egg mothership in atlanta.

Rolling Smoke
08-31-2008, 10:06 AM
Remember this contest succeeded because it was an automatic to the Jack. last year it wasn't a qualifier. It takes hard work and lots of promoting to be successful. It's not like "if you build it they will come" at least not anymore.

You're absolutely right Ford! Nelsonville was the only game in Ohio for 10 years running so it was easy to fill the field with big name teams looking for an automatic to the Jack. And by being the only game in the state, they only needed 15 teams instead of 25 but then Kettering came along in 2007 and since Nelsonville only had 24 teams in October of 2006, they were disqualified for the 2007 Jack drawing which made Kettering 2007 an automatic.

Like I said earlier, Nelsonville was my first contest and I always looked forward to going there for an end of season door closer. I know it's a beautiful place and a nice time of year with the autumn foliage but if they don't have 25 teams, I can have a better time in Gatlinburg.

U2CANQUE
08-31-2008, 08:56 PM
They can really take lessons in how to do a contest, and make is a success....from your notebook. What you have done in Kettering has inspired me with what we are proposing with the Cleveland Cup. Besides the monies raised going to Operation BBQ For Our Troops, which in itself should be a great reason for the sponsors that I have lined up, throwing in the extra prize monies for the team that competes in atleast 2 other contests for the extra prize money on top. Everything will be just about finalized, and since the Nelsonville folks have kinda fallen short, was probably going to gear the Cleveland comp for the same timeframe. Will keep all posted, and yes, I will be sending lots of e-mails your way for advice and insights.....

Rolling Smoke
09-02-2008, 08:15 AM
I have offered several times to help but have not been taken up on the offer.

Double D's BBQ
09-02-2008, 08:55 AM
It's said to see this contest fold but I will not waste my time or money with a contest where the cooks are treated as shabbily as they were last year at Nelsonville and where the organizers refuse to accept good help when it is offered. Unfortunately its time to play taps over the corpse of this contest.

I'd ask that for those that only have the funds for one more Ohio contest this year to please support the Jim Dandy's contest. That one has a good chance of being a qualifier with a little help.

I hope someone sends the orgainizers a link to this site and the discussion on Barbecue Central. People are outraged over this contest because they care. It takes passion and feelings to care. I'd gladly support this contest if I thought the organizers cared one tenth of that of the cooks but when they won't return phone calls or emails it shows how arrogant they are that they think that the cooks will blindly sign up at a moments notice.

They are sadly mistaken this time!

U2CANQUE
09-02-2008, 09:56 AM
Looking forward to Jim Dandy's.....and damn, we know for sure that we will be back in Kettering next year, hell, Jim, go ahead and get together a package for reduced, guranteed rate on a 5 year block, and betting that you would fill up in no time flat. I learned a hell of a lot watching how you did things in Kettering, not only how much work you put into it, but, how everyone was treated, and the set of volunteers that you had in place made it almost like we were the only team there with their personal attention. It sucks, because I never got the chance to compete in Nelsonville, and from the looks of it, I will not....it sounds like there were a lot of great memories by the teams....which all pitched in and made the contest what it was......but, enough of the soft and mellow........

Looking forward to seeing everyone down in Sharonville, and hell, who knows, we can still make Ohio a great place to visit, compete in, and maybe, just maybe we can surpass Hawaii on the BBQ circut as a destination some day.......

Rolling Smoke
09-02-2008, 10:17 AM
I learned a hell of a lot watching how you did things in Kettering, not only how much work you put into it, but, how everyone was treated, and the set of volunteers that you had in place made it almost like we were the only team there with their personal attention. It sucks, because I never got the chance to compete in Nelsonville, and from the looks of it, I will not....it sounds like there were a lot of great memories by the teams....which all pitched in and made the contest what it was......but, enough of the soft and mellow.......

Thanks for the comments Rob. If all the teams at Kettering felt as if they was the only team there, then we did our job.

Nelsonville used to be a great time and by being the only Ohio contest, it attracted the who's who of barbecue but the times have changed and it requires more effort than what I am seeing put forth.

tonto1117
09-02-2008, 10:29 AM
Thanks for the comments Rob. If all the teams at Kettering felt as if they was the only team there, then we did our job.

Nelsonville used to be a great time and by being the only Ohio contest, it attracted the who's who of barbecue but the times have changed and it requires more effort than what I am seeing put forth.

I know we sure did Jim! We will defintley be back next year.

Last year we thought about doing Nelsonville, contacted the organizer who didn't seem to have a single answer to my questions and told me he would get back in touch with me, which he never did of course....even tried e-mailing him a few weeks later and still no response. Like Ford said "It takes hard work and lots of promoting to be successful. It's not like "if you build it they will come" at least not anymore."

To many good one's to choose from and unfortunatley from the sound of things, this isn't one of them.

beardjp
09-02-2008, 11:21 AM
Wow, I guess I was blinded last year when we won a couple of categories and did not realize some of the other things that went on. I can't blame anyone for being mad at the event.

Carl Franz and Tom Lambrecht are the ones incharge this year. Mainly Carl Franz from the Hotel. I have been trying since january to get someone moving, and I must agree it is disheartening.

Maybe like someone said in an earlier post, "This event will need to fail before it gets big". I can assure you that the local community away from the college will support this event. As a matter of fact I am going to contact the chamber of commerce and fill them in on some of the information. I beleive I wil also contact the one sponsor, Rocky Boots and let them know. I don't know what I can do for this year, but maybe I can get things rolling towards something in 2009. Damm all this stuff makes me mad!!!

U2CANQUE
09-02-2008, 11:30 AM
This is actually the first person that has anything to do with the contest that has posted anything, or, as far as I know, really taken the time to respond. The contest meant a lot to people from all over, and, as you can tell, folks are frustrated more than anything. When you read folks words it appears as if the feelings of frustration and sense of entitlement won out over folks dedication and fond memories of the event. To me, it seemed like the perfect setting, and having it associated with a school that is so well known for the culinary program was great for all who participated. Hopefully things can get fixed, now that you can see, and read what folks frustration was/is. Again, ANY help that you would like, need, please feel free to ask....though it may be a dead one this year, there are things that can bring back the contest to what was once....as I heard it referred to as....."the yankee stadium of bbq" for a team....being where they got the hook sunk into their psyche and smoke into their blood.

beardjp
09-02-2008, 11:57 AM
I wish had something to do with the organization of the event. I am just another BBQ competitor, who happens to live in Nelsonville. I organize other events in the area and it makes me angry to see and hear how this event has degraded. I just finished a long Email to the Nelsonville and Athens Chambers of Commerce, trying to make them aware of the problems. I don't know if it will do any good this year but we can start on next year.

Maybe there needs to be a take over of the event and get the organization away from the Inn and College. I will keep everyone posted.

U2CANQUE
09-02-2008, 12:42 PM
thanks for your help with it.......maybe having someone down there, who is from there, and interested in the value of the contest to the community would help out a lot. Again, let us know if there is anything that comes out of it.

Rob

Rolling Smoke
09-02-2008, 03:05 PM
I know we sure did Jim! We will defintley be back next year.

Thanks Theresa! It was great having you and Walt there and we'll be looking forward to having you with us next year.

Scottie
09-02-2008, 03:31 PM
Can you get Jack instead of Beam though? That was a shock on my system at 9:22 in the morning. At least I am used to the Jack at that time... :roll:

beardjp
09-02-2008, 04:17 PM
I received the following reply from Tom Lambrecht of The Inn At Hocking College regarding prize money.

"The prize money is at least $400 first prize each catergory or more
depending upon the total # of entrants. Sorry we can't be more specific at this point but the winner is the Ohio state champion making them eligible for K.C. I believe. "

That is all the information he sent.

The Pigman
09-02-2008, 04:56 PM

Jim, I for one would like to say that I am glad I listened to you and made Kettering my 1st and if I do only a couple each year Kettering will be the top priority for me.

Rolling Smoke
09-02-2008, 05:00 PM
Can you get Jack instead of Beam though? That was a shock on my system at 9:22 in the morning. At least I am used to the Jack at that time... :roll:

Will do for you Scottie. Sorry for the shock to your system. I had a couple of them after the toast and they didn't go down very well either. I just figured it was me and the hell I had put my metabolism through that weekend.

Rolling Smoke
09-02-2008, 05:03 PM
Roger, just the short amount we talked prior to Kettering, I knew this was what you were looking for and I didn't figure you would be upset by my talking you into doing the contest. We'll be glad to have you year after year after year after......you get it! Thanks Buddy!

Jim, I for one would like to say that I am glad I listened to you and made Kettering my 1st and if I do only a couple each year Kettering will be the top priority for me.

The Pigman
09-02-2008, 05:18 PM
[quote=Double D's BBQ;727415]

I'd ask that for those that only have the funds for one more Ohio contest this year to please support the Jim Dandy's contest. That one has a good chance of being a qualifier with a little help.

Just checked to see and still only lists 16 teams signed up....
Sent email to Susan Sparks ( rep from ford plant) to see if we will be on grass or backtop. Jim Emig (jim Dandys ) thinks the grass. havent heard back from Susan. Also if we can get in earlier than 12 noon on Fri. Jim did say we can stay over to Sun for those who wish.

Ford
09-02-2008, 06:46 PM
Looks like Nelsonville may not happen at all. Tom Lambrecht just quit after reading all the emails that were flying around. I did get a copy of his note as I did send him an email. He his contacting the president of Rocky and turning over the proclamation to him. If you want info his email it's kevin.dotson@rockybrands.com.

Tom is still saying it's all the Grinsteds fault but has made no attempt to address the need for paying to 5 positions plus GC/RGC and he has not submitted papwrwork to the KCBS for the funding guarantee. So I guess there's lots of blame to go around.

Big Mike
09-02-2008, 08:27 PM
Ya knew it would happen

beardjp
09-02-2008, 08:40 PM
Now for the rest of the story!!! Mr. Lambrecht was asked to stand aside. The Nelsonville Chamber of Commerce along with Rocky Boots is working on taking over the competition and try to get things on track. We don't know about 2008, we can only hope. But 2009 is where we really hope to take off a new. I am sure things will change quickly in the next few days.

U2CANQUE
09-02-2008, 09:06 PM
Thanks so much for being a voice where we all felt that there was no voice...hell, a lot of us here are from Ohio, and given that alone, will do what we can to support Ohio comps. I read some of your postings today on BBQ Central, and then put the 2 & 2 together, and like seeing a team of public servants finest, and ones who did what they could to save the contest. I appreciate your work a lot...and hopefully we will see you down there in 09....

beardjp
09-02-2008, 09:16 PM
I guess if we cannot get anything going for this year me and my team will have a picnic on the site and drink a toast to everyone, and work on next year. My problem is the glass is always half full so I am still working on 2008.

U2CANQUE
09-02-2008, 09:19 PM
hey, nobody said you would not have company in the field toasting along side.....laughing.....you say alcohol in the right setting, and you have a sudden bum rush.....

just glad that you have helped sort out what folks have been trying to sort out for the year......

beardjp
09-02-2008, 09:37 PM
The point is to get the Nelsonville contest back on it's feet then we can work on bringing all Ohio BBQ working together, and maybe tie some things together. Maybe we work on that Ohio Triple Crown of BBQ that was mentioned.

Rolling Smoke
09-03-2008, 06:11 AM
Now for the rest of the story!!! Mr. Lambrecht was asked to stand aside. The Nelsonville Chamber of Commerce along with Rocky Boots is working on taking over the competition and try to get things on track. We don't know about 2008, we can only hope. But 2009 is where we really hope to take off a new. I am sure things will change quickly in the next few days.

Damn Dan! You said you could open doors but I figured you meant by turning the knob and giving a slight push.

Rolling Smoke
09-03-2008, 06:40 AM
just glad that you have helped sort out what folks have been trying to sort out for the year......

Not to challenge your comment Rob, but that has to qualify for understatement of the year. In one day Dan was able to cut the rope on the anchor of lethargism (creative writing 101) that most of us have been dealing with for a helluva lot longer than a year.

Rolling Smoke
09-03-2008, 06:44 AM
The point is to get the Nelsonville contest back on it's feet then we can work on bringing all Ohio BBQ working together, and maybe tie some things together. Maybe we work on that Ohio Triple Crown of BBQ that was mentioned.

Like I told you when we talked yesterday, you know how to get in touch with me.

U2CANQUE
09-03-2008, 07:48 AM
Hell, I am grateful....I hope that it can get up and be the contest that several of you talked about....I didnt get to compete in the contest, but, sure hope to sometime....

Rolling Smoke
09-03-2008, 08:27 AM
I really think it will come back and especially after what I have seen in the last 24 hours. In the hey day of Nelsonville, it was nothing to see the big names of barbecue come to cook. In 2002 there were 32 teams present and they came from all over. In 2003 there were 34 teams. I'm sure the introduction of new contests in Ohio will take some of the appeal away since it is no longer an qutomatic but there's no reason at all why Nelsonville cannot take what they already have and build on it to make it a good contest once again.

beardjp
09-03-2008, 08:35 AM
Damn Dan! You said you could open doors but I figured you meant by turning the knob and giving a slight push.
All I did was open the doors. It just happens that they were big sponsor doors who don't like to fail, and like to eat BBQ. We'll see what rolls out today. I will be talking with Rocky Boots and the Chamber of Commerce today. I am also talking with Jennifer Palmer the KCBA Director of Operations later today to discuss our options for 2008. Things will probably happen quickly, I hope.

U2CANQUE
09-03-2008, 09:22 AM
well, maybe Ohio can be back on track to be a bbq destination....Kettering, Sharonville, Nelsonville, and HOPE HOPE HOPE to have the Cleveland USO-BBQ For the Troops up and running as well in 09...and, if I remember right, Bucky was also looking at getting one started up as well....but, have not talked to him to see what his progress is yet....hope all works out.....

beardjp
09-03-2008, 11:01 AM
I just finished speaking with Kevin Dotson from Rocky Boots and the Nelsonville Chamber of Commerce. It is official the 2008 Nelsonville BBQ competition is still on. The Nelsonville Chamber of Commerce is now the organizer for the event with Rocky Boots staying on as a sponsor. We are having a meeting on Friday at 2 pm EST to bring everything together. After the meeting I should be able to get more information out to everyone.

In the mean time any ideas or suggestions that you would like me to bring up at the meeting are welcome. It would also be a great help if any teams that are interested in competing let me know so we can see where we will be standing for teams.

I appreciate everyone’s help and support over the past few days. It is great to know that this type of support is out there.

Ford
09-03-2008, 05:04 PM
In the mean time any ideas or suggestions that you would like me to bring up at the meeting are welcome. It would also be a great help if any teams that are interested in competing let me know so we can see where we will be standing for teams.

Step 1 - call the reps and find out what you need to do for a contest. Paying 5 in cat + GC/RGC for sure. Guarantee of prize money in advance. Get a website up. Put info here as it becomes available. After tomorrow some people may be looking for a late October contest.

U2CANQUE
09-03-2008, 08:24 PM
Good first step there Ford....the guarantee......money always helps.......

Hope all has been well with you too......

beardjp
09-04-2008, 08:12 AM
The Ohio Smoked Meat and Barbeque has a website;
http://www.nelsonvillefd.org/ohiobbq.htm

Nothing special at this time but we are up and running, updates will come as I get them.

U2CANQUE
09-04-2008, 12:10 PM
thanks for keeping everyone updated.....let us know how the meeting goes tomorrow......

beardjp
09-05-2008, 03:18 PM
The NEW 12th Annual Official Ohio Smoked Meat and Barbecue Festival - State Championship is scheduled for October 17 - 18, in Nelsonville, Ohio, on the streets of the Historic Public Square. The completion will have $5,000.00 in prize money. Team check in will begin at 8 am on Friday, October 17. A potluck dinner is scheduled for teams on Friday night and a free breakfast buffet on Saturday morning.

The entry fee is $200 with the following categories
Chicken 10/18 at 12 pm
Ribs 10/18 at 1230 pm
Pork (Shoulder/Butt) 10/18 at 1pm
Brisket 10/18 at 130 pm
Dessert 10/18 at 2pm

PRIZE BREAKDOWN
Grand Champion - $1,500.00 & Trophy
Reserve Champion - $1,000.00 & Trophy
Top Ohio Team - $100.00 & Trophy

KCBS Categories
1st - $175.00 & Plaque
2nd - $125.00 & Trophy
3rd - $75.00 & Plaque
4th - $50.00 & Plaque
5th - $25.00 & Plaque

Dessert
1st - $125.00 & Plaque
2nd - $100.00 & Plaque
3rd - $75.00 & Plaque

The website is www.nelsonvillefd.org/ohiobbq.htm (http://www.nelsonvillefd.org/ohiobbq.htm). The website will have the entry forms and further information later this evening or tomorrow morning.

beardjp
09-05-2008, 10:29 PM
The website for the Ohio Smoked Meat & BBQ Festival Wesite has been updated and contains all needed entry and judges forms and competition information. The website can be accessed at http://www.nelsonvillefd.org/ohiobbq.htm (http://www.nelsonvillefd.org/ohiobbq.htm)

Let me know if you have any questions or concerns

U2CANQUE
09-06-2008, 02:57 AM
Thanks for the info and hard work!! Hopefully it can get back off of the ground....entry form will be on the way Monday.....

Rolling Smoke
09-06-2008, 04:45 AM
Are you starting your own team or do you mean the entry form from Dallas?

U2CANQUE
09-06-2008, 06:23 AM
I am going to do it with a buddy of mine up here from Cleveland.....I dont think that Dallas is going to do it this year.....since we are heading to NC 2 weeks after that.....

Rolling Smoke
09-06-2008, 06:33 AM
Good luck to you. I don't think I'm going to be able to make it either since we're off to Lynchburg the week after Nelsonville.

U2CANQUE
09-06-2008, 06:42 AM
I will see ya next weekend though......have a blast on the journey to Mecca.....lots and lots a pics

beardjp
09-09-2008, 08:58 PM
Invitation letters and entry forms have been mailed to many BBQ Teams. The invitation letter has a error on the competition date. The date is listed as September 17 & 18, 2008. The competition date is October 17 & 18, 2008. The entry form has the correct dates listed. Sorry for the mistake.

cmcadams
09-09-2008, 10:28 PM
We looked at this one, and it's not going to work for us this year. Next year may be a different story.

With so many teams online, why is it so difficult to get better info on webpages for some of these comps? I know the Jim's (Ferguson in particular) was good about updates. I know Jim.. It can't be that hard! :)

U2CANQUE
09-10-2008, 07:46 AM
Hell, the way it sounds, it can be a profitable contest.....my packet was sent in.....figure why not....willing to give it a chance and then make decision after......hope to see some folks out and about....

Double D's BBQ
09-10-2008, 07:54 AM
Well as of now it looks like as a minimum you've got reserve locked up and a minimum of second place in each category and a 50/50 chance of the Ohio Category. Sounds like pretty good payday to me!

Best of luck to both of you!

U2CANQUE
09-10-2008, 08:20 AM
Hell, kinda like being the only guy at a all girls school prom, sooner or later will get lucky...

Ford
09-10-2008, 08:32 AM
I know the town square and we'll have fun. There's a bar right there with great burgers for Friday noon. Some antique shops for the spouses. All and all a good idea.

At one time this was a good contest. It sounds like the folks at Rocky and the Chamber are going to do everything they can to keep it going.

So who from Michigan will joint me in the trip down to beat up on these Buckeyes?

Bbq Bubba
09-10-2008, 10:02 AM
Seriously thinking about this one Ford, see how finances are then, will probably be a last minute decision.
Be nice to get one more in before winter!

tonto1117
09-10-2008, 10:20 AM
I know the town square and we'll have fun. There's a bar right there with great burgers for Friday noon. Some antique shops for the spouses. All and all a good idea.

At one time this was a good contest. It sounds like the folks at Rocky and the Chamber are going to do everything they can to keep it going.

So who from Michigan will joint me in the trip down to beat up on these Buckeyes?

Like I said to you earlier in the week.....If it's looking good as it gets closer....wer'e in.Plus the 17th is my B-day and I'm ready to PARTY!!!8)

Bbq Bubba
09-10-2008, 10:40 AM
Like I said to you earlier in the week.....If it's looking good as it gets closer....wer'e in.Plus the 17th is my B-day and I'm ready to PARTY!!!8)

Well theres something new......:cool:

tonto1117
09-10-2008, 10:57 AM
Well theres something new......:cool:

:lol::lol:.....hey wait......:shock::twisted:

U2CANQUE
09-11-2008, 10:49 AM
laughing, well, you know, you can beat up on all the Buckeyes you want, but, take it easy on us Tarheels who are just kinda transplanted......look forward to seeing you Ford.....

Tonto.....hmmmmm, would that mean that you may have a drink or two that weekend? Not that we would feel obliged to help you overdo it at all........grins.......

beardjp
09-11-2008, 04:44 PM
I am meeting with the new organizers again tomorrow. They are hoping to have some Friday night activities. Maybe a band and beer garden??? Maybe a community wide "Best Ribs" contest, non KCBS and an additional Dessert contest for the community??? I will try to keep everyone up to date as I get more information.

U2CANQUE
09-11-2008, 05:15 PM
thanks for the updates......much appreciated!

Double D's BBQ
09-11-2008, 06:46 PM
I am meeting with the new organizers again tomorrow. They are hoping to have some Friday night activities. Maybe a band and beer garden??? Maybe a community wide "Best Ribs" contest, non KCBS and an additional Dessert contest for the community??? I will try to keep everyone up to date as I get more information.

How about pin the tail on the Hooters Girls! That will draw big time!:-D

Double D's BBQ
09-12-2008, 06:52 AM
Dan, keep up the great work. I really hope it works out.

Dallas

cmcadams
09-12-2008, 07:08 AM
The website only shows 1 team... Is that true?

I will say this... At least there's a website that has some info on it. The old site basically told nothing, and didn't even have forms on it until right before the competition. I'd like to see this, as well as the other Ohio comps, all have good turn outs.

Double D's BBQ
09-12-2008, 07:49 AM
So far that is true but I hear Rob is interested and some of they guys from Michigan.

I don't know if it will be enough to have a contest this year but I hope that doesn't deter them from regrouping and starting to plan for next years contest.

Promote, Promote, Promote. It takes a lot of hard work and dedication to get a BBQ contest to become a qualifier. Dan's doing a great job and I'm confident that they've got some good people running the show now. Best of luck to them.

U2CANQUE
09-12-2008, 08:19 AM
They have not gotten my packet yet.....forgot to send it off before heading down here to Sharonville........but, they are going to be updating it as they get more teams dedicated to attending....I am also assuming, much like Ford said before, that as the date gets closer some teams will decide that they do not want the BBQ season to end......since not everyone is going to head to NC, GA, or FL in the off season to keep the smoke rolling. I am trying to get some re-interest back in this contest because they (the folks in Nelsonville and Rocky Boots) have really addressed concerns that people had....and though later, it is still a better late than never. I know that the contest is not out in the filed of dreams (smoke) this year, but, maybe having it downtown will get more of the public involved...and interacting. If anything else, I have a reason to hit the Rocky Boots outlet to get some of the boots that I have been wanting....and hey, it is afterall now a throw down from the boys up North......figure that they dont have a lot of winning going on up there in football land....so they have to try to come down to the land of the pigskin and try to take Ohio awards back home........now, who in Ohio can resist that temptation???

U2CANQUE
09-12-2008, 08:21 AM
By the way Dallas, Good job on getting the Farker Mojo going before the road trip.....now we have to work on getting the team banner on the BBQ Brethren Flag.....hmmm, yet another thing to tote around........

Double D's BBQ
09-12-2008, 08:32 AM
They have not gotten my packet yet.....forgot to send it off before heading down here to Sharonville........but, they are going to be updating it as they get more teams dedicated to attending....I am also assuming, much like Ford said before, that as the date gets closer some teams will decide that they do not want the BBQ season to end......since not everyone is going to head to NC, GA, or FL in the off season to keep the smoke rolling. I am trying to get some re-interest back in this contest because they (the folks in Nelsonville and Rocky Boots) have really addressed concerns that people had....and though later, it is still a better late than never. I know that the contest is not out in the filed of dreams (smoke) this year, but, maybe having it downtown will get more of the public involved...and interacting. If anything else, I have a reason to hit the Rocky Boots outlet to get some of the boots that I have been wanting....and hey, it is afterall now a throw down from the boys up North......figure that they dont have a lot of winning going on up there in football land....so they have to try to come down to the land of the pigskin and try to take Ohio awards back home........now, who in Ohio can resist that temptation???

I'll take Ohio State over Michigan anyday! Even in BBQ! Seems like we've already scared off the Indiana, Kentucky, and Texas teams. Is there no one out there that dares take on the Buckeye state in BBQ. Can't say that I blame you. The competition here has gotten a whole lot tougher this year!:shock:

Flame on brothers!

Double D's BBQ
09-12-2008, 08:34 AM
By the way Dallas, Good job on getting the Farker Mojo going before the road trip.....now we have to work on getting the team banner on the BBQ Brethren Flag.....hmmm, yet another thing to tote around........

Did you notice that I swapped out the old logo for the new and improved logo!:-D

U2CANQUE
09-12-2008, 08:39 AM
Damn, nope, why, just think, in four years how far you have came along this little hobby......

I am leaving here in about 30 minutes to head over to the Ford Plant......I have a white trailer with the Harley Emblem on the side.....but, should not be too hard to find........me and the pit bull will be sleeping in the trailer.......

beardjp
09-14-2008, 04:52 PM
Can any teams who are coming to Nelsonville let me know by Email so I can update the website before we receive your entry form? Also let me know if you will need electric and water hook-ups. You can Email at beardjp@yahoo.com (beardjp@yahoo.com)

We have also added a “Best of” competition on Friday, the 17th. There are three categories, ribs, hamburger, and dessert. The competition is non-KCBS and open to anyone. Entry is $20 per category or all three for $50. We are still working on the prizes for the competition. Specific information including rules and entry form will be on the website by this evening. www.nelsonvillefd.org/ohiobbq.htm (http://www.nelsonvillefd.org/ohiobbq.htm)

U2CANQUE
09-14-2008, 05:08 PM
thanks for still keeping us all up and informed.......

U2CANQUE
09-15-2008, 09:35 PM
Just saw that the new name was listed on the web site, team name of Them Ohio City Boys.......waiting to see who all else is going to start getting on the list....hope to keep the contest going after so much hard work....

The Pigman
09-16-2008, 06:25 AM

may be out to sit with you.............good luck.

The Pigman
09-16-2008, 06:30 AM
I'll take Ohio State over Michigan anyday! Even in BBQ! Seems like we've already scared off the Indiana, Kentucky, and Texas teams. Is there no one out there that dares take on the Buckeye state in BBQ. Can't say that I blame you. The competition here has gotten a whole lot tougher this year!:shock:

Flame on brothers!

How can you pass on sites ( fall colors) like this

U2CANQUE
09-16-2008, 07:52 AM
You know that you are MORE than welcome anytime in my pit area.....grins, even though I am not stick burning....but, your laughter and stories will more than make it an interesting contest....

beardjp
09-16-2008, 01:43 PM
Gordon Food Service (GFS) is onboard as sponsor for the 2008 Nelsonville BBQ Competition. They have offered to take orders for product and have it delivered to Nelsonville for teams. We are working out the logistics of this, and I will let everyone know that information ASAP when it is available.

The Pigman
09-16-2008, 03:07 PM
Gordon Food Service (GFS) is onboard as sponsor for the 2008 Nelsonville BBQ Competition. They have offered to take orders for product and have it delivered to Nelsonville for teams. We are working out the logistics of this, and I will let everyone know that information ASAP when it is available.

Dont know if it will help on cost but I have a card it is Smokin Blues BBq Cincinnati ohio 45239 #002303073 If it will help.

The Pigman
09-16-2008, 03:12 PM
You know that you are MORE than welcome anytime in my pit area.....grins, even though I am not stick burning....but, your laughter and stories will more than make it an interesting contest....

Just may take off fri and sat and come out and be with you and may judge on sat. if they need judges but that wont stop me from seeing all fri night. Have to leave sat eve where as we have my sons anniv party Sun at the Rennainsace Fest. Rob I just may have to turn you into a stick burner. You ask why--- BECAUSE STICK BURNERS RULE......................................

The Pigman
09-16-2008, 03:14 PM

If I come out there and you need a Judge I am KCBS CBJ #30390

U2CANQUE
09-16-2008, 06:19 PM
Now if we could just get you to dress like that in the pit.......talk about a Kodak moment......

U2CANQUE
09-16-2008, 06:20 PM
will be a stick burner though, when cooking with Dallas on the Geer pit......so phffffffffffffft.........laughing

U2CANQUE
09-21-2008, 12:55 PM
One month to go....anyone looking to fill that void come on down.......one of the last ones before the first snow.....

The Pigman
09-21-2008, 11:36 PM
Now if we could just get you to dress like that in the pit.......talk about a Kodak moment......

That all is athenthic the outfits for the wedding came from the movie First Knight - King Arthur and the Roundtable with Sean Connerly and Richard Geer. I dressed in the battle gear to be with the guys and her father was in the cape to go with the Girls. The swords are real as are the armour and daggers.

The Pigman
09-21-2008, 11:59 PM
One month to go....anyone looking to fill that void come on down.......one of the last ones before the first snow.....

Sent my info to Kevin about judging so guess I will see you Fri.

U2CANQUE
09-22-2008, 07:43 AM
awesome, and if you are interested in doing the friday night contest with us, you know that you are more than welcome!!! Looking forward to it! Bonus points if you come appropriately dressed......

The Pigman
09-22-2008, 09:14 AM
awesome, and if you are interested in doing the friday night contest with us, you know that you are more than welcome!!! Looking forward to it! Bonus points if you come appropriately dressed......

Make room at site I'm a coming.......

U2CANQUE
09-22-2008, 10:19 AM
sounds great, let me know which category you are interested in doing for the Friday night cook.......

Bbq Bubba
09-22-2008, 11:39 AM
You 2 seriously need to get a room! :twisted:

Any "new" info yet?

beardjp
09-22-2008, 11:56 AM
We still only have two teams at this time. We have arranged showers for any teams interested on Saturday morning. We are working on a band and abeer garden for Friday night. Please let us know if you are even thinking hard about competing in Nelsonville.

U2CANQUE
09-22-2008, 12:36 PM
Hey Bubba, now now, we are not leaving you "Northerners" out, just trying to coordinate as much as possible.....and also trying to keep it on the front page active.....dont want to see a contest die down.......hope you guys can make it down....

Bbq Bubba
09-22-2008, 01:14 PM
Just ribbin ya bros!! :biggrin:

I was REALLY hoping to sneak this one in, but got a deposit check in the mail for a rather large gig. :cry:

I wish you guys lots of luck, maybe the organizers can get an earlier start next year!

Indy Hogger
09-22-2008, 03:40 PM
Making Meat BBQ is a definate maybe:eusa_clap

U2CANQUE
09-22-2008, 03:43 PM
Hope to see ya there.....

The Pigman
09-22-2008, 05:20 PM
You 2 seriously need to get a room! :twisted:

Any "new" info yet?

Nicoles in his room

U2CANQUE
09-24-2008, 03:29 PM
when not in the dog house.....but, that is the woodshed topics......

U2CANQUE
09-24-2008, 04:15 PM
Hey, and WOW, yet another team signed up....Buddy of Getta Que....now up to three teams....come one, come all......one of the last ones of the year for the midwest....

The Pigman
09-24-2008, 05:46 PM
Buddy is a member here just dont get on very much....................................

U2CANQUE
09-28-2008, 11:30 AM
I dont know how much more it is going to take to have teams get on board....I think that they have put in writing the corrections that they have put in place to fix the problems from last years contest. I dont know how much more can be given, without them also giving up....music, beer garden, refunding some of the money to the first 10 paid, and a great venu. Hope to see some of you at the town square on the 17th-18th!!!!

This is the e-mail from Kevin of Rocky Boots that I got today....

We really want to keep this alive—we are going to offer the first 10 teams who register and pay their entry fee a $100.00 rebate payable when they arrive at the site her in Nelsonville—we really want to get enough teams to keep the event sanctioned………….
I look forward to meeting you as well and thank you for your support!
Kevin

beardjp
09-28-2008, 11:50 AM
Yes it is true!!! I am getting ready to update this information on the competition website.

The first ten BBQ teams that send in their entry form with payment will recive a $100 dollar rebate on their entry fee when they check-in at the competition.

Full competition and registration information is available at www.nelsonvillefd.org/ohiobbq.htm (http://www.nelsonvillefd.org/ohiobbq.htm)

Ford
09-28-2008, 04:47 PM
Sorry guys but I won't be able to make it. My year is over. Looks like I'll keep this trailer and redo it for catering so going to start next weekend.

Good luck in keeping it going.

U2CANQUE
09-28-2008, 05:45 PM
You will be missed Ford.....see you around next year.....

beardjp
10-04-2008, 10:04 AM
We have 9 teams signed up and several more say their stuff is in the mail. There is still a chance we could have a qualifier. Thanks to everyones support of the new organizers.

U2CANQUE
10-04-2008, 03:18 PM
glad that things started to come together.....

beardjp
10-07-2008, 07:31 PM
We have 12 teams signed up and several more say their stuff is in the mail. If things keep rolling we could have a qualifier. Thanks to everyones support of the new organizers.

U2CANQUE
10-09-2008, 06:42 AM
any idea how many are signed up for Friday nights best of contest?

beardjp
10-09-2008, 09:04 AM
We keep getting questions and people are talking about but I am the only one so far that is signed up for it. I am sure we get more as the information spreads. There is a local publicity blitz coming up that will help. By the way, did you see the prize money for Friday night?
1st - $100
2nd - $50
3rd - $20
For each of the three categories.

We also now have 13 teams in the main competition. 25 and a qualifier is looking more and more possible!!!

U2CANQUE
10-09-2008, 11:42 AM
Thanks for your continued updates.....looking forward to meeting you friday....

The Pigman
10-09-2008, 06:22 PM
Rob you met Dan at Sharonville I thought????? he was sitting next to me at the cooks meeting. Oh well see all Fri morn. That is if the Hills of Hocking will let me out Friday morn.

U2CANQUE
10-12-2008, 07:28 AM
Oh, damn, I forgot....well, then, look forward to meeting AGAIN.....
See ya Friday....will send a note if any last minute oh sh*ts come up and need something else.....

U2CANQUE
10-12-2008, 07:30 AM
Money order for Friday night sent out on Saturday....so I am in all 3 for that night too....hell, good trial run....

beardjp
10-12-2008, 09:59 AM
It wasn't me in Sharonville. I couldn't make down. Maybe it was my BBQ spirit. We have been busy this week trying to thin k of anything we may have forgotten for next weekend. We did some measuring and playing with numbers and we can fit more than 40 teams on the Public Square. I'll be happy with any number of teams this year, just to keep things going. Watchout in 2009!!!

beardjp
10-13-2008, 08:30 PM
We now have 15 teams signed up. 10 more hardy midwest teams and we are a qualifier. Come on down to Nelsonville, Ohio and gives us a chance.:-D

Rolling Smoke
10-14-2008, 05:27 AM
It wasn't me in Sharonville. I couldn't make down. Maybe it was my BBQ spirit. We have been busy this week trying to thin k of anything we may have forgotten for next weekend. We did some measuring and playing with numbers and we can fit more than 40 teams on the Public Square. I'll be happy with any number of teams this year, just to keep things going. Watchout in 2009!!!

I didn't think you were at Sharonville. I think Roger makes that stuff up. :razz:

U2CANQUE
10-14-2008, 06:32 AM
I think he confused the 2 guys who made the plea about the contest with them....that, or, Roger got a little early start on the sippin juice that afternoon......

Rolling Smoke
10-14-2008, 06:53 AM
I'm thinking the second option and instead of an early start in the afternoon, more like an early start in the week. :lol:

The Pigman
10-14-2008, 03:58 PM
I'm thinking the second option and instead of an early start in the afternoon, more like an early start in the week. :lol:

When i hear Jack I know Jack and it anint no cookoff. And he was calling preety much that week.

Could of swore he said he was Dan........

Did have fun at Sharonville until the judging.............Dont know what to do about that.

The Pigman
10-14-2008, 04:00 PM
I think he confused the 2 guys who made the plea about the contest with them....that, or, Roger got a little early start on the sippin juice that afternoon......

By the way Rob is it Jack for breakfast on friday .

U2CANQUE
10-14-2008, 09:14 PM
Laughs....we can have some there for ya....about the only drinking I will do is coffee......mmmmmm, java.....

chinesebob
10-14-2008, 10:07 PM
Well you should be in the brethren bash at Rick's. I'm hoping that my Jamaica Blue Mountain beans will be in by then and I'll have them roasted for coffee for everyone!

U2CANQUE
10-15-2008, 05:30 AM
now that it pure velvet going down............still have it planned.......

The Pigman
10-15-2008, 07:31 AM
Laughs....we can have some there for ya....about the only drinking I will do is coffee......mmmmmm, java.....

Jacks Steak House......................I dont drink until 10:30 most mornings.....

Kettering was the 1st time in my life for not drinking while cooking Sharonville was the 2nd.

Ferguson is the one that was passing out the drinks..I think to get a edge:-D

Extreme
10-15-2008, 07:34 AM
I believe that I will try to make it down to cook. I know it's last min. but if I can get ahold of someone I want in.:icon_wink Troy

The Pigman
10-15-2008, 07:35 AM
I believe that I will try to make it down to cook. I know it's last min. but if I can get ahold of someone I want in.:icon_wink Troy

Looking forward to meeting you.

Double D's BBQ
10-15-2008, 07:47 AM

Just fill out the entry and fax it in. I'm sure they'll accept your payment at the contest on Friday. Here's the link to the apps and contest info. I'm sure Dan will help you out as well. Look forward to seeing you there. What is your team name?

http://www.nelsonvillefd.org/bbqteamslist.htm

Double D's BBQ
10-15-2008, 07:48 AM

Roger, are you cooking or just visiting? I did see your name on the list of teams registered? I hope you'll consider cooking. A late last minute push could get the contest to 25.

See you on Friday!

The Pigman
10-15-2008, 08:32 AM
Roger, are you cooking or just visiting? I did see your name on the list of teams registered? I hope you'll consider cooking. A late last minute push could get the contest to 25.

See you on Friday!

Dallas I am not bringing any thing with me. I'll be up in Hocking Hills leaving in about 2hours. Will drive down there fri morn and told Rob I would help him if he needed it. Just there to see all and after Sharonville still have a bad taste in mouth about contests but would like to see all.

Did email them about judging but they never got back with me so dont think I will do that just hang out and see all. And enjoy the fall in Hocking. Will have time to stop and see you as it was nelsonville (last year) talking to you and Buddy that made me make up my mind to join the circut. Now kinda wondering if it is worth it after the money put out in Sharonville and treated like we were. Will make up my mind by next year ...... I thought being santioned you had to follow the rules.

But I will be there and hope to have some time to spend with you seems we been to busy the last couple of times. BTW are you going to the Bash???????

Double D's BBQ
10-15-2008, 12:10 PM
Roger, sometimes its easier said than done but I wouldn't let one contest color your perception of all contests. I never knew until it was discussed on this board that a contest was required to pay out to 5 places in order to be KCBS sanctioned because clearly that did not happen last year at Nelsonville. I will say that try to give these new contests a little slack if you can as they grow. The Kettering contest hopefully will be the gold standard that other Ohio contests can learn from. I can honestly say that the Sharonville contest was much improved this year over last and I'm sure it will be next year.

I swore up and down a few short weeks ago that I would never attend Nelsonville again after last years debacle but the new organizers definitely listened to what was said on this board and are trying to make things right. In the end we are all consumers and I would say to reward the contests that are run well with your repeat business and penalize those that don't run a good contest or are not cook friendly. I'm sure that next years contest in Sharonville will be improved upon as well but I would want to make sure that all contests that are receiving KCBS sanctioning are meeting the KCBS rules regarding payouts. In the future I will only support those contests that do that. But contests are too much fun to quit them all together because of one bad experience. The fact that you were short changed at Sharonville is both a very bad experience and also a very good one too because it means that you are doing great in your first season of competing. I hope you continue with the contests. We look forward to seeing you in Nelsonville this weekend.

beardjp
10-15-2008, 03:03 PM
Big news on the cash prize side of the Saturday KCBS competition. If enough teams compete 10/18 in Nelsonville to be a qualifier, $1000 cash will be added to the current $5000 cash prizes!! I am still going through information but it looks like right now there are 17-18 teams currently onboard. It would be great to be a qualifier. So come on down to Nelsonville!!!

The judge people have gotten behind and are suppose to be working on contacting everyone. If there are any teams Friday night not competing in the "Best Of" competition, please let us know if you would like to be a judge for the "Best Of"

Rolling Smoke
10-16-2008, 06:32 AM
Kettering was the 1st time in my life for not drinking while cooking Sharonville was the 2nd.

Ferguson is the one that was passing out the drinks..I think to get a edge:-D

You only consider it cooking when the door of the smoker is open and you're tending to the food....right? :razz:

As for passing out the drinks, I can't imagine what kind of edge I was looking to gain because I didn't pass out any drinks in Sharonville and I didn't compete in Kettering. You must have me confused with someone else like the first time we met. :razz:

Rolling Smoke
10-16-2008, 06:46 AM

You already met him Roger. He was sitting next to Rob at the cooks meeting in Sharonville. :twisted:

U2CANQUE
10-16-2008, 08:19 AM
laughing.......on a roll there......I will make sure that he does not get into too much trouble.....making him a name tag....with the...."Have we met before or do I just think we did" on it....

tonto1117
10-16-2008, 09:05 AM
Hope it's a great weekend...sure wish we could be in two places at the same time!!! Best of luck to all!!

The Pigman
10-16-2008, 11:02 AM
You already met him Roger. He was sitting next to Rob at the cooks meeting in Sharonville. :twisted:

LOL Jim you are the one that keeps this a great thing.

The Pigman
10-16-2008, 11:04 AM
laughing.......on a roll there......I will make sure that he does not get into too much trouble.....making him a name tag....with the...."Have we met before or do I just think we did" on it....

Rob put my name on it in case I forget it...............It is beautiful here in Hocking Hills this morn.

Rolling Smoke
10-16-2008, 11:23 AM
LOL Jim you are the one that keeps this a great thing.

Glad you're taking it the way it was intended Roger. :lol:

The Pigman
10-16-2008, 11:33 AM
Jim I am happy today woke up to the fall in Hocking Hills I come here every year for the passed 12. And like I will aways say I am very glad Kettering was my first. Guess if I judge contests according to my 1st I will always be let down.