PDA

View Full Version : chicken @ the JACK

matthew burt
08-25-2008, 05:06 PM
does anybody know if you have to cook both white and dark meat at the Jack Daniels.

ique
08-25-2008, 05:29 PM
Yes, you need to have both white and dark meat in your chicken entry at the Jack.

matthew burt
08-25-2008, 05:49 PM
thank you very much

Rub
08-25-2008, 06:21 PM
Really?!

BBQchef33
08-25-2008, 06:44 PM
:eek::eek:

thats news to me. :redface: holy chit.

Jorge
08-25-2008, 06:46 PM
:eek::eek:

thats news to me. :redface: holy chit.

How happy are you with your brine?:lol:

Solidkick
08-25-2008, 06:55 PM
Yep, the entry that we returned stated that both white and dark meat is to be submitted.......I haven't told Belly Bro yet........

Question for Scottie.....how limited is the electricity at Lynchburg? the southern gal I spoke to on the phone said, "bring your generator.":eek:

Also, do they follow KCBS rules or any other sanctioning body, or have their own?

Podge
08-25-2008, 06:58 PM
if any of you haven't practiced white meat chicken for competiton at the jack, and you think you have a chance getting drawn.. you better get to practicing !!.. I cooked white meat chicken 3-4 times a week until i came up with something decent, then practiced that until i got consistent.

Diva Q
08-25-2008, 07:03 PM
We are practicing chicken every week till the Jack. Did 48 pieces ont he weekend.
Also we were told to bring our generators as well.

Ulcer Acres
08-25-2008, 07:07 PM
And may I ask Podge how did you do with chicken at the Jack?

Podge
08-25-2008, 07:14 PM
And may I ask Podge how did you do with chicken at the Jack?

I did quite well thank you very much. :grin:

Solidkick
08-25-2008, 07:18 PM
if any of you haven't practiced white meat chicken for competiton at the jack, and you think you have a chance getting drawn.. you better get to practicing !!.. I cooked white meat chicken 3-4 times a week until i came up with something decent, then practiced that until i got consistent.
I hear ya brother! We'll get after it this weekend! I'm not a big fan of white meat, but I guess I'm gonna learn to like it in the next few weeks....If we don't get a draw, then it will be a mute point....if we do get a draw, I'm gonn learn to like white meat....:redface:

Does a leg count as white meat? LOL

bbqbull
08-25-2008, 07:29 PM
I assumed the Jack used KCBS Rules, guess I was way wrong on this one.

Podge
08-25-2008, 08:23 PM
I assumed the Jack used KCBS Rules, guess I was way wrong on this one.

It's still pretty much KCBS rules, so you are not WAY wrong, it's just that they want white meat chicken with the dark meat. I personally think it's a good idea. I think this is the only real difference that you can readily notice.

Coz
08-25-2008, 08:30 PM
I have been practicing the white meat since we thought we won a state championship contest.I saw a pic that was posted on another site and the person stated the white meat being in there was a requirement.

Scottie
08-25-2008, 08:49 PM
It's still pretty much KCBS rules, so you are not WAY wrong, it's just that they want white meat chicken with the dark meat. I personally think it's a good idea. I think this is the only real difference that you can readily notice.

They also require 7 pieces...

As for electricity. It's limited in areas. Not sure who is going to be working the parking this year. As Fred will be greatly missed. So if you have a generator, bring it. They have basically outgrown their area for teams.

bbqbull
08-25-2008, 08:53 PM

I have been practicing the white meat since we thought we won a state championship contest.I saw a pic that was posted on another site and the person stated the white meat being in there was a requirement.

They also require 7 pieces...

As for electricity. It's limited in areas. Not sure who is going to be working the parking this year. As Fred will be greatly missed. So if you have a generator, bring it. They have basically outgrown their area for teams.

Thanks for the info guys.

BBQchef33
08-25-2008, 09:17 PM
How happy are you with your brine?:lol:

dont matter.. Your doing chicken. :)

so...its 7 pieces that includes white and dark meat...

so is 3/4 acceptable.. or something like all 6-7thighs and one breast or wing??

whats the norm?

damn, that box is gonna be cozy.

BTW.. I make a killer boob that just melts. :mrgreen::eusa_clap yippy for me.

Yakfishingfool
08-25-2008, 09:23 PM
gonna really have to pack those greens to get boobs to sit up :)

VA BBQ PIRATES
08-26-2008, 06:32 AM
Does anyone have any pictures of Jack chick boxes? Do most do 6 or is it 7 thighs and then slices of white?

Tom

Double D's BBQ
08-26-2008, 06:36 AM
Put in one breast and slice it for 7.

QN
08-26-2008, 07:00 AM
I have worked with Fred for the past several years parking teams at the Jack, etc. Most of the sites have access to a shared 15 amp circuit. In other words, it is OK for lights or something that does not draw a lot of power, but if you want to run air conditioning, heaters, fryers, or anything else that draws a lot of power then you will need a generator. Some of the sites on the back side do not have power access at all. The sites are also very tight as far as space and there is no "extra" space available. But then, it is the Jack! I hope to see a lot of you there. Also, most of the sites have access to a shared water connection, but there are some that do not have water either.

ique
08-26-2008, 08:20 AM
Same deal as Podge (without the results :mad: ) ... lots of practice on white meat. My kids even started refusing to eat chicken.

Here is my presentation from last year... maybe Podge could share his as well :-D

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2401/1911271100_9af50f061a.jpg

Podge
08-26-2008, 10:02 AM
Same deal as Podge (without the results :mad: ) ... lots of practice on white meat. My kids even started refusing to eat chicken.

Here is my presentation from last year... maybe Podge could share his as well :-D

I respectfully decline,:icon_blush:.,. but i bet this year's presentation will look the same as last year's !

ique
08-26-2008, 11:02 AM
... i bet this year's presentation will look the same as last year's !

Good plan!

Solidkick
08-26-2008, 12:20 PM
I respectfully decline,:icon_blush:.,. but i bet this year's presentation will look the same as last year's !
You know...if it was me....and you get a 12 pack in me....I'll tell you everything I do! :redface:

I'd hold that secret close as well! Best of luck to you!

(friggin white meat chicken, I'm gonna sprout feathers before this is over, if we get a draw) :biggrin:

Double D's BBQ
08-26-2008, 04:31 PM

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2401/1911271100_9af50f061a.jpg

Pretty box Chris! Nice Job!

Squeeze
08-27-2008, 02:03 PM
Don't forget that wings are white meat. They make the space issue a little easier.

Podge
08-27-2008, 02:44 PM
Don't forget that wings are white meat. They make the space issue a little easier.

I thought about that too, before the jack. But was too chicken sh!t to try it at such an important contest. But i think a feller could make up a great entry with them, and taste out of this world.. I'd just rather play by the unspoken rules, much like doing thighs typically in a contest. One of these days, I'm going to get brave and do wings in a contest.

VA BBQ PIRATES
08-27-2008, 04:41 PM
Chris thanks for posting the pic. So if I understand it I don't need 7 dark & 7 white. Right?

Squeeze I forgot about wings! Now I have to see if we get in and if I can grow a set big enough to turn in wings at the Jack LOL. Well it's 2 months away and a week from tomorrow I guess I'll know if I need to even worry about it. (I can always practice white meat at the royal)

Tom

U2CANQUE
08-27-2008, 07:16 PM
Ahhhhh, the joys of practice, practice, practice, and then they throw that little bump in the road....let us know when ya get up on the bravery points and do wings.....figure jumbo wings.....have done some awesome ones in the past, but, used hot not sweet for the sauce.......

Podge
08-28-2008, 09:33 AM
Ahhhhh, the joys of practice, practice, practice, and then they throw that little bump in the road....let us know when ya get up on the bravery points and do wings.....figure jumbo wings.....have done some awesome ones in the past, but, used hot not sweet for the sauce.......

well, at least with white meat, it is something different to practice, and last year, i rather enjoyed the first 20 times.

SmokeInDaEye
11-21-2008, 03:02 PM
That's a boatload of meat in that box, Chris. I may play around with chicken breasts this winter just in case...

Nitrofly
11-21-2008, 06:54 PM
I did quite well thank you very much. :grin:

That there is funny, I don't care who you are :biggrin:

BBQ Grail
11-21-2008, 07:28 PM
I called Jack and he said he really doesn't care what parts you use!

http://www.anatomorphex.com/picts/mech_props/MP105_JACK_IN_THE_BOX.jpg