23 IOWA STATE GRILL TEAM
24 TEAM BEE-LICIOUS
25 TIGER PIT BARBEQUE
26 SMOKIN BANDITS BBQ
27 SHORT CREEK BBQ

Great job guys! :-D

Shotgun
08-25-2008, 06:42 AM
pretty good contest, a little disoraganized, but not bad for first sanctioned contest. Check out the pork score, once again that dreaded pork was in the crapper.

BBQ_Mayor
08-25-2008, 07:22 AM
I'm with Jay. Good contest. Beautiful weather.

As far as Pork goes. :icon_sick:icon_sick:icon_sick:icon_sick:icon_sick :icon_sick this is what the 6 judges looked like after trying it. I don't think we were on the same table cause I didn't hear anything about a judge having to be rushed to the hospital for a stomach pump.

Hey Don. I'm just focused on Las Vegas now. Let me know if you need anything or any help.

thenewguy
08-25-2008, 04:24 PM
Finally...a contest without rain or strong winds!! The weather was great! I didn't realize it was the first year to be sanctioned. Must be why some of the other guys were there.

KC_Bobby
08-25-2008, 10:16 PM
pretty good contest, a little disoraganized, but not bad for first sanctioned contest. Check out the pork score, once again that dreaded pork was in the crapper.

Trade ya a pork lesson for a chicken lesson.

musicmanryann
08-26-2008, 01:22 PM
While I am a newbie on these forums, I just wanted to let everyone know that my team was there was well. My dad and I have started a team called "Big T'z Q Cru" ( My dad's name is Terry and he is a big guy--hence the name). Nevada was our very first competition, and we had a blast! We didn't have much of a chance to go around and meet other teams that weren't nearby, because it seemed there was always something to do. Had some hiccups along that way but overall, things went prtty smooth. We ended up walking for Brisket (6th), which we thought was a major achievement.

Have about a thousand questions, which I will be posting on the forum in the coming days. Overall, most of our success was do to all previous posts on this forum. For that I want to thank all the Brethren, and also for giving me the courage to just jump in and do it. :wink:

thenewguy
08-26-2008, 03:48 PM
Cool! Now...how about returning the favor-6th place brisket? What'd ya do?
You doing any more comps? I know your hooked now!

Buster Dog BBQ
08-26-2008, 04:03 PM
While I am a newbie on these forums, I just wanted to let everyone know that my team was there was well. My dad and I have started a team called "Big T'z Q Cru" ( My dad's name is Terry and he is a big guy--hence the name). Nevada was our very first competition, and we had a blast! We didn't have much of a chance to go around and meet other teams that weren't nearby, because it seemed there was always something to do. Had some hiccups along that way but overall, things went prtty smooth. We ended up walking for Brisket (6th), which we thought was a major achievement.

Have about a thousand questions, which I will be posting on the forum in the coming days. Overall, most of our success was do to all previous posts on this forum. For that I want to thank all the Brethren, and also for giving me the courage to just jump in and do it. :wink:

Congrats. Now you are hooked.

watertowerbbq
08-26-2008, 06:35 PM
I'd like to sign up for a brisket lesson. :eek::-D

BBQ_Mayor
08-27-2008, 06:50 AM

Welcome aboard. I was standing in front and to the right of you guys. I saw one of you go up to get your 6th in Brisket. Of coarse, I followed with my fourth.:mrgreen:
Nice job and ask those questions. We'll help you out.

I'd like to sign up for a brisket lesson. :eek::-D
How about a pork lesson for a brisket lesson? :wink:

watertowerbbq
08-27-2008, 06:57 AM
Welcome aboard. I was standing in front and to the right of you guys. I saw one of you go up to get your 6th in Brisket. Of coarse, I followed with my fourth.:mrgreen:

How about a pork lesson for a brisket lesson? :wink:

Deal! :-D

musicmanryann
08-27-2008, 09:58 AM
[quote=BBQ_Mayor;722131]Welcome aboard. I was standing in front and to the right of you guys. I saw one of you go up to get your 6th in Brisket. Of coarse, I followed with my fourth.:mrgreen:

The guy that got up was my dad. Congrats on your fourth place walk. :wink:

musicmanryann
08-27-2008, 10:07 AM
Cool! Now...how about returning the favor-6th place brisket? What'd ya do?
You doing any more comps? I know your hooked now!

Cooked two of em' on one of our WSM's at 215 starting at 6:30 the night before. Just our rub and a little extra pepper. Rotated at the halves and lightly basted at the same time. Took off at approx. 190, and let sit in a cooler for almost three hours until 12:50.

We doing a couple more comps this season and getting "serious" next year. We were planning on doing the one in Dubuque this weekend, but decided we were just too tired after Nevada!:shock: I think we are going to do the one in Sparta WI, (my dad lives in the Twin Cities), and the one in Indpendence. After that, I'm not sure.

Oh yeah, and we are definitely hooked now, just got to get better at using our WSM's so we don't have to stay up all night tending em':wink: