PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have advice for no garnish entries?

Smoky River BBQ
08-21-2008, 10:32 AM
I have a small, unsanctioned contest I am going to compete in soon. The contest rules state no garnish is allowed. Any tips on how to make the box appealing with using only the meat as decoration?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Sledneck
08-21-2008, 10:35 AM
What are the categories?

Smoky River BBQ
08-21-2008, 10:38 AM
Sorry...forgot to mention that. Pork Butt or Picnic, Ribs and Brisket. No chicken :-P

toys4dlr
08-21-2008, 11:40 AM
Fill the box with product. ie : more than 6 pieces if it fits, full always looks better than empty. But it does have to be neat, do just chuck it in to cover the white.

That is, unless like IBCA there is a specific amount required. Then follow those rules.

Vague enough??? :-D

MoKanMeathead
08-21-2008, 12:51 PM
For the pork but you could layer pulled or chopped pork in the bottom of the tray and then put your slices or chunks on top of that works pretty good. Same thing for brisket - you could line the bottem with chopped brisket and put your slices on top.

Ribs will be harder but as Toys mentioned above fill the box with ribs so they all support each other - if that is allowable.

U2CANQUE
08-21-2008, 03:35 PM
check to see what the box dimensions are ahead of time, trim brisket pre-smoke to size and burnt ends up front....which looks better without garnish than behind..., ribs will have to work with dimensions, since rib sizes are not all uniform, and pork, different displays of styles....i.e. chopped, pulled, chunked