PDA

View Full Version : Chicken Opinons

mds2
08-19-2008, 01:36 PM
Can you guys give me your thoughts, scores, opinons on these two boxes.
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk187/msnodgrass2/IMG_1087.jpg

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk187/msnodgrass2/eagle_08/IMG_1152.jpg

Porky
08-19-2008, 01:46 PM
In the first pic the chicken is very clean and smooth looking-pleasing to the eye. I think more parsley under the chicken and along the sides of the box w/out going over the top of the box. Cut off the little gonad piece on each piece for a cleaner look this will increase your appearance scores.
The 2nd box, same for the parsley as #1 and the sauce/glaze looks lumpy and the chicken pieces are not as uniform in size and color as in box #1.

I hope this helps and I am sure others will chime in.

Professor Salt
08-19-2008, 02:20 PM
I like the putting green effect on both boxes, although box 1 greens are more even, edge to edge.

Were you shooting for a bite through skin on box 1 vs. crispy skin on box 2?

The first box looks great. Shape and sizes are nice and consistent. No visible skin shrinkage, even color, even sauce application. I'm guessing these finished cooking skin side up? I'd score that a 9

Second box is a little less consistent in size and shape. Skin is shrunk up. Grill marks on the skin and uneven sauce appear like these were finished skin side down. I'd give this an 8 just because it's slightly less manicured looking.

MayDay
08-19-2008, 02:58 PM
Greens look a little TOO patted down for me, or maybe it's slightly too sparse? Box #1 looks like the skin fared better than Box #2. Top right chicken in Box #1 looks like it should be turned 180 (or is it just trimmed differently?). Box #2 pieces are less uniform. Would prefer to see slightly more browning in Box #1, but not as marked as those in Box #2. Saucing is too obvious in #2.

butts
08-19-2008, 07:56 PM
Trim the nuggets that are hanging out from the sides if the skin, before you cook them.

MilitantSquatter
08-19-2008, 08:56 PM
In the first pic the chicken is very clean and smooth looking-pleasing to the eye. I think more parsley under the chicken and along the sides of the box w/out going over the top of the box. Cut off the little gonad piece on each piece for a cleaner look this will increase your appearance scores.
The 2nd box, same for the parsley as #1 and the sauce/glaze looks lumpy and the chicken pieces are not as uniform in size and color as in box #1.

I hope this helps and I am sure others will chime in.

I agree with Les..

Box # 1 : 7
Box # 2 : 6

CivilWarBBQ
08-20-2008, 07:58 AM
Box 1 - 7
Box 2 - 6

mds2
08-20-2008, 08:20 AM
I like the putting green effect on both boxes, although box 1 greens are more even, edge to edge.

Were you shooting for a bite through skin on box 1 vs. crispy skin on box 2?

The first box looks great. Shape and sizes are nice and consistent. No visible skin shrinkage, even color, even sauce application. I'm guessing these finished cooking skin side up? I'd score that a 9

Second box is a little less consistent in size and shape. Skin is shrunk up. Grill marks on the skin and uneven sauce appear like these were finished skin side down. I'd give this an 8 just because it's slightly less manicured looking.

Well, you are about dead on with all of your comments.

I dont have the scores in front of me, but box two scored much higher than box one. Box one was a 12th or 13th place and box two was a second place.

Professor Salt
08-20-2008, 11:53 AM
Well, they both look good. Which one scored higher on texture, the crispy skin one or bite through one? I'm assuming the meat was equally well cooked on both, of course. :)

mds2
08-20-2008, 01:42 PM
Well, they both look good. Which one scored higher on texture, the crispy skin one or bite through one? I'm assuming the meat was equally well cooked on both, of course. :)

I think that box 2 scored better in texture, and taste was about the same for both of them. That was actually the first time I tried putting them on the grill at a contest. There are some things that i will work on with that technique, but I was happy with the results. We actually cooked them both ways at the contest, and the grilled ones just turned out a lot better.

In my opinion box 1 looks better, but it didnt score very well. But that box was from Lincoln, Ne which I think is the lowest scoring contest of the year.

I'll keep an eye out for the nub the next time I trim them.