PDA

View Full Version : Roll Call. Inside 30 days. Garry Maddox BBQ Philadelphia, PA

Jacked UP BBQ
08-19-2008, 10:34 AM
We are in, anyone coming?

Sledneck
08-19-2008, 10:42 AM
Only if you bring the espresso:biggrin:

Jacked UP BBQ
08-19-2008, 10:56 AM
Only if you bring the espresso:biggrin:

Kind of like you and your lightsaber, I never leave home without it.

Sledneck
08-19-2008, 11:08 AM
Kind of like you and your lightsaber, I never leave home without it.Pffft you gotta do better than that:rolleyes::tongue:

Rhapsody
08-19-2008, 12:34 PM
Rhapsody in Blue Smoke will be there. It's a great event, but nothing like a KCBS contest, so my advice to first timers for this one is to just have fun. Take lots of pictures next to the ballpark, cook alot of food, share with the other teams and have fun. Stop by and say hey if I don't get to you first. Some of the bigger more serious teams get really frustrated here, and others think its a blast and don't miss it. Be like the latter, its a great time.

widespread
08-19-2008, 01:19 PM
I'll be there, hope Fay isn't. Looking forward to seeing everyone there!

Jacked UP BBQ
08-19-2008, 01:32 PM
[. Some of the bigger more serious teams get really frustrated here, and others think its a blast and don't miss it. Be like the latter, its a great time.[/quote]

What could they get frustrated about?

widespread
08-19-2008, 01:52 PM
Seinfeld mod
Who are these bigger, more serious teams and why are they frustrated?

Rhapsody
08-19-2008, 02:11 PM
jon, you've been there. When I say bigger, I mean the well traveled kcbs teams. Its gotten better but alot of people have had issues about judging and procedures. Last year they did that " 2 highest scores at the table move on" type thing. I am not a fan of this type of judging at all. I don't know how they will be doing it this year, but they are only doing one round, which should really make things interesting because before no one knew there scores after one round. Again, go in with the idea to have fun and you will have a great time.

Rhapsody
08-19-2008, 02:12 PM
weather is calling for 86 and mostly sunny. Hopefully that holds true.

Jacked UP BBQ
08-19-2008, 02:28 PM
Judging in KCBS is terrible also, no worries about judging, you never expect quality. I am only shocked if the judging is good, not poor. I always have a great time, I am landing at 10 am in philly from Nashville, TN and meeting my team at the comp. I just hope one of us stays sober enough to drive home.

widespread
08-19-2008, 04:40 PM
jon, you've been there. When I say bigger, I mean the well traveled kcbs teams.

Ant, I'm trying to remember if any of those guys have been there and I'm drawing a blank. It seems like it's the usual gang every year, with a few new faces. It's usually the same weekend as Bel Air, or New Holland as is the case this year, and the KCBS teams go there. I prefer to do this one because I like the one day event for a change of pace ,the atmosphere is really cool, and it's for a great cause. Did I mention that the grand prize is cool too? :wink:

Big George's BBQ
08-19-2008, 04:48 PM
When is it? Do not know if I can attend

Jacked UP BBQ
08-19-2008, 04:59 PM

I bet you can here is the contact info.

Kerry Ann Williams
Youth Golf & Academics Program
1494 Mt. Ephraim Ave.
Camden, NJ 08104
856-756-0222
fax 856-756-0006

widespread
08-19-2008, 05:18 PM
It's this saturday, same day as New Holland.

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
08-19-2008, 07:35 PM
It's this saturday, same day as New Holland.

are you allowed to use a gas grill, how do they feel about boiling the ribs first:eek:. are the Eagles cheerleaders gonna be there?...o.k. just kidding, good luck on the repete.
sal

Jacked UP BBQ
08-19-2008, 08:39 PM
are you allowed to use a gas grill, how do they feel about boiling the ribs first:eek:. are the Eagles cheerleaders gonna be there?...o.k. just kidding, good luck on the repete.
sal

the best part is, you can use a gas grill!!!!!!!

widespread
08-19-2008, 09:19 PM
I'm gonna borrow some hairspray from a cheerleader and use it to light my gas grill to heat water to boil my ribs.

Rhapsody
08-19-2008, 11:41 PM
if you want to get in this one, call asap. Last I heard they had 39 teams and that was the number from last year and they are capping it at that. If you have your money I am sure they will at least listen to you, because money talks afterall. The grand prize is really cool, but before Jon won it last year, I don't know if an amatuer EVER won it. And the one day thing is really sweet, I kinda wish that teams stayed around after awards, that would be pretty cool.

widespread
08-20-2008, 06:14 AM
Is that 39 counting the restaurants and caterers, or just us?

Big George's BBQ
08-20-2008, 07:04 AM
That is why I can not attend as I will be at New Holland. Good luck to all that do attend

Rhapsody
08-20-2008, 10:41 AM
Is that 39 counting the restaurants and caterers, or just us?

Just us. I saw a list of the restaurants there are about 15 I want to say, but don't quote me. Also the celebrity judges aren't as many as last year because it isn't on Alumni Weekend like it was in years past. I saw some news casters, radio guys , broadcasters and Pat Gillick. I remember Michael Nutter got my chicken last year, that was pretty cool.

Rhapsody
08-20-2008, 10:42 AM
weather has changed to sunny and high of 84. That location is great, but there is nothing around there to block out the sun or rain, hopefully it stays clear and low humidity, please low humidity, my shirts are black.

widespread
08-21-2008, 07:36 AM
George, you going to New Holland?

moses13
08-21-2008, 10:18 AM
Also the celebrity judges aren't as many as last year because it isn't on Alumni Weekend like it was in years past. I saw some news casters, radio guys , broadcasters and Pat Gillick..

If you are lucky, you may end up getting Manny Ramirez to judge your Q. He never seems to be in left field when he is supposed to be.
http://www.thefightins.com/meechone/when-mannys-gotta-go-hes-gotta-go/

Plus, he loves to BBQ, or at least to sell equipment in his spare time:
http://www.fanhouse.com/category/mlb/2007/03/20/manny-ramirez-wants-to-sell-you-a-grill/

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.fanhouse.com/media/2007/03/mangrill.jpg

Big George's BBQ
08-21-2008, 04:56 PM
I will be in New Holland this weekend

widespread
08-21-2008, 05:47 PM
Good luck in New Holland, George.
You too, Sal! :wink:

Kirk
08-24-2008, 01:42 PM
So how did this contest turn out?

Rhapsody
08-24-2008, 03:53 PM
it was a beautiful morning and noontime, then it got really hot. But it was fun for all. As far as the Brethren who I know were there, Jon and Widespread took home a 1st in chicken and chef's choice and I walked with 4th place ribs. Great time, but the earlier game time made it really hard to turn things in every 30 minutes. Already thinking about next year.

Rhapsody
08-24-2008, 03:54 PM
edit: Lazy River also walked a couple times, but I don't want to slight them when I'm not positive what category. Sorry guys, I'm sure you'll chime in.

backporchbbq
08-24-2008, 04:12 PM
Congrats to everyone that went, and those who got called. I wish we could have come to that event, but it was the same weekend as New Holland, which was a great time.

widespread
08-24-2008, 04:12 PM
No repeat on the World Series trip for me. The guys that won it have the biggest Klose smoker I've ever seen. Dual-axle and 15-20 feet long. Must take a whole tree just to get it up to temp :lol:.
Brian and Donna (Lazy River) walked a few times, but like Anthony said I don't remember what category and place. I finally got the chicken monkey off my back with a first place win, and also a first in chef's choice. Cool trophy's and two nice gift certificates for dinners at the Capitol Grille and The Palm.
Weather was fantastic, and the Phil's whupped the Dodgers 9-2. All in all, a great day. A big hand to Garry, Kerri, and the volunteers from YGAP who put on another great event.

Kirk
08-24-2008, 07:20 PM
it was a beautiful morning and noontime, then it got really hot.
I guess you were cooking on asphalt in the parking lot?

Rhapsody
08-24-2008, 10:25 PM
I guess you were cooking on asphalt in the parking lot?

the guy next to me had his smoker in the sun. It was fine till about noon, then it was 20 degrees hotter than normal. It wasnt the heat that was so bad, but that was some bad sun.

Big George's BBQ
08-25-2008, 08:03 AM
Congrats. Sounded like a fun event. New Ho;lland was great too. Picture perfect weather

Michael in PA
08-26-2008, 10:40 PM
Jon - It's 22 feet long and it only takes 8 to 12 logs to get it up to temp. From there it's very efficient.

Are you going to the game on the 9th??

Sledneck
08-27-2008, 07:21 AM
Results?

Jacked UP BBQ
08-27-2008, 08:32 AM
Results?

they don't give you results, they announce the top five and it's over!

Rhapsody
08-27-2008, 09:11 AM
they don't give you results, they announce the top five and it's over!

do i sense frustration?????...lol....In years past they only announced the top three, but went to top 5 because of the one round. So if you were number 4, you never knew you beat close to 40 people.

I'll be at the game on the 9th. Very few amatuers showed up last year. The seats look better this year. Be ready Mike, they will have you on the field and on the fanavision and stuff. Congrats

Jacked UP BBQ
08-27-2008, 09:56 AM
do i sense frustration?????...lol....In years past they only announced the top three, but went to top 5 because of the one round. So if you were number 4, you never knew you beat close to 40 people.

I'll be at the game on the 9th. Very few amatuers showed up last year. The seats look better this year. Be ready Mike, they will have you on the field and on the fanavision and stuff. Congrats

not frustrated at all, had a great time.

widespread
08-27-2008, 03:58 PM
I e-mailed Kerry about posting the results in each category.
Michael, congrats again! See you at the game.

Rhapsody
08-28-2008, 09:41 AM
jon, youll be there? You won the thing last year and werent there, I was in the upper deck cheering for you and the people around me thought I was a loon.

widespread
08-28-2008, 11:20 AM
I was at the outer banks that week, didn't know they were doing anything until I got a call 2 days prior on my cell. Oh well... thanks for the cheers!
Skipped vacation this year, really wanted to do New Holland and Garry's bbq gets rescheduled instead. I hope he doesn't have any kids getting married next August :lol:

Pig Headed
08-28-2008, 01:45 PM
The list of winners were in the Phila. Daily News today (pg 40). I was just browsing through someone elses paper, so I couldn't cut it out.

widespread
08-28-2008, 03:56 PM
Thanks, Ron!

And the Barbecue Challenge winners are . . .

Professional and amateur barbecue chefs fired up their grills last Saturday at the 2008 Garry Maddox Barbecue Challenge at Citizens Bank Park, hosted for the seventh year by the former Phillies centerfielder. Participants faced off in four categories - chicken, chef's choice, ribs and Garry's Rib Challenge. The winner of Garry's Rib Challenge - Michael Wister and Smoke Daddy's Barbecue of Lansdale, won a trip to the 2008 World Series. The first runner-up in that division is Steve Miletta and Big Steve's Grill, Cedarville, N.J.; and second runner-up was Randy Bennett and Thorndale Hunting Lodge, Bridgeport. Winners in the other categories are:
CHICKEN
Restaurant/Catering division: First place, Big Easy Saloon, Paoli; second place, Communities in Schools of Philadelphia.
Pit Master division: First place, Jon Sibol and Widespread BBQ, Elkton, Md.; second place, Don Heath and Tiny's BBQ, West Chester; third place, Brian Olthoff and Lazy River Barbecue, Franklinville, N.J.; honorable mentions, Rich Nicosia and Team RN'J, Bridgeton, N.J.; and Herb Livingston and Herb's BBQ, Philadelphia.
CHEF'S CHOICE
Restaurant/Catering division: First place, Riverton Country Club, Cinnaminson, N.J.; second place, Big Easy Saloon, Paoli; third place, Communities in Schools of Philadelphia; honorable mention, London Grill, Philadelphia.
Pit Master division: First place, Jon Sibol and Widespread BBQ, Elkton, Md.; second place, Don Heath and Tiny's BBQ, West Chester; third place, Steve Ladd and Caveman Barbecue, Media; honorable mentions, Steve Miletta and Big Steve's Grill, Cedarville, N.J.; Donna Olthoff and Lazy River Barbecue, Franklinville, N.J.
RIBS
Restaurant/Catering division: First place, Manayunk Brewery & Restaurant, Philadelphia; second place, Great American Pub, Narberth; third place, McFadden's Ballpark, Philadelphia; honorable mentions, Bulls' BBQ, Philadelphia, Communities in Schools in Philadelphia.
Pit Master division: First place, Dennis Barksdale and Big City Smokers, Penns Grove, N.J.; second place, Jeff Esposito and the South Philly Hillbilly, Philadelphia; third place, Michael Wister and Smoke Daddy's Barbecue, Lansdale; honorable mentions, Anthony Sica and Rhapsody in Blue Smoke, Philadelphia; Rich Nicosia and Team RN'J, Bridgeton, N.J. *