PDA

View Full Version : American Royal Camper/RV rental ???

KC_Bobby
08-13-2008, 07:07 PM
Does anyone around the KC area have a good resource for renting an RV or TT? We want to rent something for the American Royal weekend - October 2-5. We're trying to keep the costs a bit less then Cruise America or other RV rental places, the cheapest I could find was $100 a day with a 4 day minimum. I have a 40 foot 5th wheel lined up from an individual for a good price but our space is only 38x25 and the fire dept. controls the area tight at this event for good reason:roll:, so I'd rather let the fire department pass me by without question.

We don't need anything fancy, just a place to sleep and shower. Heating and A/C would be a bonus, last year was hot and who knows what this year will bring.

If anyone around KC has one sitting that weekend or knows of a privately owned one that is available for rent, please let me know. We can work BBQ into the payment too. :wink:

Just Pulin' Pork
08-13-2008, 07:41 PM
Bobby just thinking out loud does Olathe Ford do any rentals? You might check them out.

The Pickled Pig
08-13-2008, 08:49 PM
I think there's a company that rents a lot of units out to Royal participants. I remember seeing their name plastered on several RVs. I believe they even deliver and pick them up too. Someone here will know the name.

I just reread your post and I doubt you'll find any comemrcial operation renting for less than $100/day.

KC_Bobby
08-13-2008, 09:07 PM
Yeah, the $100 a day isn't horrible. But compared to the price I was offered by a private party, it's high - especially for a 2 year old 40'er.

I'd love to find someone who has a 10-20 years old 24-28 foot travel trailer with vinyl flooring, a/c-heat, 1 full bed, bunks, 1 fold out, and 3/4 bath that would like to put a few dollars in their pocket for letting us use it. Basically something that would be purely functional for sleeping and physical needs. Entertainment features not needed.

tboneld
08-13-2008, 09:14 PM
Well Bobby, there is a place that rents them in Des Moines, if you want to haul it.

Rookie'48
08-13-2008, 09:30 PM
Who's that....................Autorama?

Buster Dog BBQ
08-13-2008, 10:03 PM
I think Autorama is going to be high. Just tell the guy you want to go for a test drive.

KC_Bobby
08-13-2008, 10:17 PM
Or recruit a guy named Buster Dog to cook chicken for ya (and bring his toy hauler). :biggrin:

tboneld
08-13-2008, 11:03 PM
We did autorama last year, but we are doing A to Z this year. Really good guy!!!

Jeff_in_KC
08-13-2008, 11:09 PM
That's weird... there was some guy and his brother on Craig's List asking the same thing. :wink:

HoDeDo
08-14-2008, 07:04 AM
Issue with personal units is that typically the person would have to want to hitch it up and bring it out there (for liability ins. purposes) or trust you to drive thier motorhome.

If you are wanting to use A/C - you will need to find one with a GenSet as well... the power sucks out there... and after 200' of cord, I doubt the line will have enough amperage to fire that puppy up. (Unless you have that really good 20+ AMP cord.)

If we are not goingto have my Dad's old Dutchmen C Class in our spot, I will see if he'd let you use it, Bob. It is a 10 yr old Talledega trip machine... so even if you shower, you might end up with Red Clay on you :)

KC_Bobby
08-14-2008, 06:02 PM
Andy, I'm not following the red clay comment. But let us know what your dad is open to letting us use it.

DeanC
08-14-2008, 08:07 PM
Andy, I'm not following the red clay comment. But let us know what your dad is open to letting us use it.

I think he means red clay from the infield of Talladega, or maybe the parking lot. Bobby there is a RV rental place on the west side of 291 South and 16th street in Lee's Summit, but I can't find the name. They rent U-Haul's as well.

KC_Bobby
08-14-2008, 08:26 PM
We rented a UHaul from them last year and they are part of Cruise America. According to the web, they only have RVs, no TTs. Nothing against RV's, but they cost about 2.5 times as much and for our needs, will do the same.

Right now, we're just looking into options that could keep the costs down so we can put the difference into a toy hauler in the spring instead.

BTW, I'm about a month and a half away from trying to sell the Boonhaugler if anyone is interested. I'll have it at Blue Springs and the Royal, come and look at it.

HoDeDo
08-14-2008, 08:55 PM
I think he means red clay from the infield of Talladega, or maybe the parking lot. Bobby there is a RV rental place on the west side of 291 South and 16th street in Lee's Summit, but I can't find the name. They rent U-Haul's as well.

If you ever get down that way.... all the ground is red clay - so red dust permeates everything. It's almost a rite of passage for going down there and camping for the race... your shoes are ruined, your EZ-UPs stained, you simply can't get it out of anything.

We will not know until closer to the weekend if we will have it in our spot or not... I'm sure he would be willing drive it out there, say a prayer gas dips by then :)

This weekend is ES, next week is Roots, then I am in Canada for 10 days, then back and on to Hot Springs.... I'm guessing the week or two before the Royal is when we will know how many of us are staying over, and thus how many campers we'll have in our spot. Last year we had Bobby's 40' pusher, Dad's Dutchmen and My Toyhauler.... with 10-12 guys sleeping over on Friday night.... If we have less this year, that is when Dad's will become open for use.

KC_Bobby
08-16-2008, 12:48 PM
I talked to the individual who was going to rent us his 40' 5th wheel and told him I was sorry that we couldn't due to it being too big for our spot. But if someone has a spot large enough to fit a 40'er he would like to rent it out, and his price is VERY good. AND he'll bring it down Thursday night, set it up and come back to get it on Sunday.

It's a 2006 Cardinal Bunkhouse, I think it's model LE 38BHQS. (link to the 2008 floorplan)
http://www.forestriverinc.com/nd/default22.asp?page=floorview&model=38BHQS&choice=card&nav=rec&name=14&series=LE5thWheels

Anyone interested, let me know and I'll provide his information.

VGuilford
08-17-2008, 12:02 PM
How many ppl on your team?

KC_Bobby
08-17-2008, 03:28 PM
Just me and my brother. I expect another person to come down on Saturday and run turn ins on Sunday ... so 3.

KC_Bobby
08-19-2008, 08:56 PM
Three cheers for Vern (VGuilford)! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Vern is coming down to the Royal to join the Boondoggle boys for some cooking and a weekend of fun. :mrgreen: Did I mention he's bringing a 28' 5th wheel with him? :wink:

Don and I look forward to having him join us.

VGuilford
08-20-2008, 11:54 AM
Thats what brothers in smoke is for. Helping out when possible. Best thing about it is I get the weekend to enjoy and not be on call.

DMDon
08-20-2008, 12:53 PM
Hey Vern,

Welcome aboard. Your job is to make sure I get turns in on time. Does the rv have tv? I will bring a dish receiver, but need to rummage up an extra dish.

VGuilford
08-20-2008, 01:36 PM
Yea it has a tv. I think theres a stand for dish in it. Will check on that.