PDA

View Full Version : Competition Edge...

JD McGee
08-12-2008, 09:03 PM
Well...here we go! Time to get my chit in one sock for our first solo comp. I'm lookin' for an edge...something that will stand out amongst the pack. Up till now I've stuck with the commercial rubs and sauces or those out of the popular BBQ books.

I'm afraid if I deviate too much from the "norm"...it'll freak out the judges taste buds...:twisted: I know that what I've been cookin' in my back yard for friends and family is a lot different than comp cookin' for that "one bite" burst of flavor.

I don't expect to receive any trade secrets...but a little nudge in the right direction would be nice. Thanks Ron for the tip..."mum"...:-P

beam boys bbq
08-12-2008, 09:20 PM
if your friends and family like what you are cooking why are you changing for an contest:rolleyes:

KISS - keep it simpel stuipid

use that for your base (what you are cooking for frends)

do two or three contest and see the what happens

then after that change only one thng for two or three contest and see what happens

KEEP NOTES KEEP NOTES:wink::wink::wink:

this will get the ship in the right direction

it will take time

york

Sticks-n-chicks
08-12-2008, 09:34 PM
Cook what you cook, enjoy what you cook, and most important share the excitement. All else doesn't really matter at the end of the day.

Jacked UP BBQ
08-12-2008, 09:40 PM
they like it sweet, I tried exotic sauces and went back to the basics and it made a he!! of a difference.

CivilWarBBQ
08-12-2008, 10:10 PM
OK, here's a tip:

When making injections and marinades, be aware that they usually won't taste particularly good if when you sample them before cooking. It takes very bold flavors to leave an impression after many hours of smoking; practically all of it will go up the smokestack or into the drip pan. The little bit that stays behind needs to be potent enough to do the job, so a good marinade/injection typically tastes much too strong out of the mixing bowl.

Rhapsody
08-12-2008, 10:13 PM
Cook what you cook, enjoy what you cook, and most important share the excitement. All else doesn't really matter at the end of the day.

very well said. If you are passionate about what you are doing, just like in anything, it will show. You can just tell when someone put alot of time and effort into their que. Even if it isn't particularly earth shattering or even good, you can just tell. One thing I would add is don't get caught up in your neighbors, their cookers, and what they are doing. I will often show up at a competition, having prepared up to months in advance, and it can get overwhelming when a guy pulls up with a HUGE rig, all this professional looking stuff and a swagger to end all swaggers. Don't buy into it. The person you are competing against most is yourself. If you put out the best possible JD Mcgee BBQ, you'll walk away with something. Strive for that, not to beat or hang with anyone else. Good luck.

JD McGee
08-12-2008, 10:42 PM
Great advice all...thank you! Guess I'll just dance with the lady I brought with me.:biggrin: I've always been an "all natural" kind of guy...in my rubs, spices, sauces, etc. I try not to get caught up in the latest and greatest this, that, or the other. I always seem to return to the classics. :-P

As far as seeking an "edge" is concerned I'm looking for that little extra "something" that will set my food apart from the pack. My own "signature"...if you will. Perhaps it will just come with time and experience, a tip or trick from one of the Brethren, or not at all...:wink:

swamprb
08-12-2008, 11:51 PM
Mr. Natural

http://southofheaven.typepad.com/south_of_heaven/images/2007/06/13/mr_natural_my_hero.jpg

Just go with what you know. Enter the Ribeye cookoff, appetizers and dessert categories as well, and just have fun! I'm gonna need you focused next season!

Black Cat BBQ
08-13-2008, 05:35 AM
commercial rubs and sauces?? I wouldnt even know where to begin with that. Have always made my own, even make my own chili powders for the rubs. Dried garlic, onions, etc. I did dumb down my homemade sauce with AJ and honey so I could glaze instead of sauce. I expected to finish dead last but ended up OK. Stay true to your self and your Q!

tonto1117
08-13-2008, 06:10 AM
Great advice all...thank you! Guess I'll just dance with the lady I brought with me.:biggrin: I've always been an "all natural" kind of guy...in my rubs, spices, sauces, etc. I try not to get caught up in the latest and greatest this, that, or the other. I always seem to return to the classics. :-P

As far as seeking an "edge" is concerned I'm looking for that little extra "something" that will set my food apart from the pack. My own "signature"...if you will. Perhaps it will just come with time and experience, a tip or trick from one of the Brethren, or not at all...:wink:

Like most have said stick with what you know and like....perhaps just kick it up a notch and add a bit more of what you already use. Most important...remember to have fun!!! Best of luck to you and your wife!!

BBQ_Mayor
08-13-2008, 07:10 AM
What everybody else said plus this little tip.
Stay focused on your product, times,temps,sauces,rubs,turn-ins.... Don't let the other teams pull ya off your game.:icon_cool
And always have fun.:-D

YankeeBBQ
08-13-2008, 07:17 AM
Taste your food before you put it in the box. Sometimes a little salt goes a long way.

butts
08-13-2008, 07:26 AM
What, in your opinion, do you think sets apart the consistantly top winning teams (such as Jack's Old South, Chris Lilly, Mad Mamma, Dr BBQ!, etc.) from the rest of the pack? I suppose years of experience would be a big one...Thanks for all of your input this week and thanks Chris for arranging this!

Hi Erich,
There's no doubt that the folks you mentioned have a great natural ability to cook, and taste food. But I really think it's all the little details that sets these cooks apart. They don't ever say "That'll be good enough". They go the extra mile in every little detail. I know a guy that drives 45 minutes each way to get the best parsley.
New cooks are all looking for the secret ingredient. There is none. Hard work and an insane competitive spirit are what those folks have.

I took this to heart from the Virtual Bullet forum (this is a question from someone from the forum and the answer is from DR. BBQ). My scores have improved since putting more effort into the details...all the detials.

Podge
08-13-2008, 07:32 AM
1. Focus
2. don't change anything at a contest. stick to the game plan
3. are you there to do well, or are you there to party ?
4. salt if needed
5. Focus

Ron_L
08-13-2008, 08:25 AM
Taste your food before you put it in the box. Sometimes a little salt goes a long way.

Great tip! Also, when you practice, put your food into a box and let it sit for 10 or 15 minutes and then taste it. That will be much closer to what the judges will taste than when you taste it fresh out of the cooker.

StayDown
08-13-2008, 08:39 AM
Great tip! Also, when you practice, put your food into a box and let it sit for 10 or 15 minutes and then taste it. That will be much closer to what the judges will taste than when you taste it fresh out of the cooker.

This is a great idea that I would have never thought about

Divemaster
08-13-2008, 09:25 AM
KISS - keep it simpel stuipid
KEEP NOTES KEEP NOTES:wink::wink::wink:

1. Focus
2. don't change anything at a contest. stick to the game plan
3. are you there to do well, or are you there to party ?
4. salt if needed
5. Focus

This is all the advice you need...

ihbobry
08-13-2008, 10:21 AM
I don't expect to receive any trade secrets...but a little nudge in the right direction would be nice. Thanks Ron for the tip..."mum"...:-P

The one lesson we have learned is your not cooking for yourself. So don't.

JD McGee
08-13-2008, 10:35 AM
Mr. Natural

http://southofheaven.typepad.com/south_of_heaven/images/2007/06/13/mr_natural_my_hero.jpg

Just go with what you know. Enter the Ribeye cookoff, appetizers and dessert categories as well, and just have fun! I'm gonna need you focused next season!

Maybe these guys can help...:twisted:

http://www.freaknet.org.uk/graphics01/g04/freaks/freaks07.jpg

Dr_KY
08-13-2008, 12:58 PM
May sound and look silly but as you are working away in your zone get a little tune in your head or do a little dance while you cook, laugh at something that you remember etc just like you would do at home.

What I'm saying is feel the rhythm of your food and be at one with it grasshopper. YOU KNOW what your game plan is YOU KNOW what your grub is supposed to taste like and YOU know how to cook so don't get yourself flustered trying to look in control or presentable to what you may think others expect you to look like or do.

Be you and be the best you.

I bet ya all four of them stars on Mistas crew laugh and dance there way to the top. Sylvie, show-em-what -ya-workin-with-girl. lol

JD McGee
08-13-2008, 01:21 PM
May sound and look silly but as you are working away in your zone get a little tune in your head or do a little dance while you cook, laugh at something that you remember etc just like you would do at home.

What I'm saying is feel the rhythm of your food and be at one with it grasshopper. YOU KNOW what your game plan is YOU KNOW what your grub is supposed to taste like and YOU know how to cook so don't get yourself flustered trying to look in control or presentable to what you may think others expect you to look like or do.

I bet ya all four of them stars on Mistas crew laugh and dance there way to the top. Sylvie, show-em-what -ya-workin-with-girl. lol

LOFLMAO...!!!:lol::lol::lol: Best advice yet! :-P

Dr_KY
08-13-2008, 01:25 PM
See that laugh you just did? Take it and others with you to the comp and have fun. :cool:

Oh and it wouldn't hurt to take a lox of Wyatts hair either. HAhahaha!

Divemaster
08-13-2008, 02:56 PM
See that laugh you just did? Take it and others with you to the comp and have fun. :cool:

Oh and it wouldn't hurt to take a lox of Wyatts hair either. HAhahaha!
Now that's funny!!!!!

Unfortunately, that is a very expensive item... Shane collects it all in hope it's going to help his Q.....

Stoke&Smoke
08-13-2008, 03:08 PM
very well said. If you are passionate about what you are doing, just like in anything, it will show. You can just tell when someone put alot of time and effort into their que. Even if it isn't particularly earth shattering or even good, you can just tell. One thing I would add is don't get caught up in your neighbors, their cookers, and what they are doing. I will often show up at a competition, having prepared up to months in advance, and it can get overwhelming when a guy pulls up with a HUGE rig, all this professional looking stuff and a swagger to end all swaggers. Don't buy into it. The person you are competing against most is yourself. If you put out the best possible JD Mcgee BBQ, you'll walk away with something. Strive for that, not to beat or hang with anyone else. Good luck.

Very good advice!

Just have fun! This is our first season, and we've only done 3 comps so far, but we've met some great folks and had a great time! Each one gets easier and better!

Bigmista
08-13-2008, 06:27 PM

I would be the dancing singing guy in the group. I'm usually dancing while everyone else is drinking coffee.