PDA

View Full Version : BBQ & Fly-In on the River (Wabash BBQ) Excelsior Springs, MO Aug. 15 & 16, 2008 ***Results Added***

BigdogKC
08-12-2008, 10:33 AM
Anybody going to be up there?

Plowboy
08-12-2008, 10:35 AM
Me and my boy, Andy!!!!

Que'inKC
08-12-2008, 10:37 AM
Randy's (ClubJoe) team -- R Butts R Smokin will be there!!!

And I will be helping!!!

BigdogKC
08-12-2008, 11:13 AM
Me and my boy, Andy!!!!

Crap, now I can't use your rub. That was going to be my secret ingredient that got me a call!! Seriously though I may have to bug you guys a time or two since this is our first comp. We are ony using UDS including the drum that Andy gave me, so I already feel like I owe you guys!!

BigdogKC
08-12-2008, 11:17 AM
R Butts R Smokin will be there!!!

We are Hot Buttered BBQ, not that we have a sign or anything; its our first comp, so we will be the unorganized looking ones!!

We will make sure to have some beer for any Brethern that stop by.

Rightstuff
08-12-2008, 01:01 PM
By "fly-in" do you mean this will actually be held at a small airport?

Plowboy
08-12-2008, 01:07 PM
By "fly-in" do you mean this will actually be held at a small airport?

I believe so. Better look to see where I need to be going.

Plowboy
08-12-2008, 01:23 PM
I believe so. Better look to see where I need to be going.

I stand corrected. Excelsior Springs is downtown (small town Missouri) and the Fly-in is at the airport outside of town. Chillicothe, MO is the following week and it is a Fly-in and BBQ at the airport.

Mitchelina
08-12-2008, 01:31 PM
well as usual, me n Timmy are late but we'll be there - we just got in today.:icon_blush: We need the practice for getting our "butts" kicked in Paola I guess... although we did get first place ribs there last year.

The Pickled Pig
08-12-2008, 01:40 PM
We'll be there. Anyone know if this is on grass or pavement?

Mitchelina
08-12-2008, 01:53 PM
pavement, city streets and parking lots right downtown. The block off the streets and it's just a big 'ol fiesta with a live band, etc.

BigdogKC
08-12-2008, 05:59 PM
pavement, city streets and parking lots right downtown. The block off the streets and it's just a big 'ol fiesta with a live band, etc.

I take it you were there last year? If so what is the toilet situation? I declined the Porta Potty because I thought it was too much, but my wife is pregnant, so I hope the pottys aren't too far away.

HoDeDo
08-12-2008, 08:01 PM
We are Hot Buttered BBQ, not that we have a sign or anything; its our first comp, so we will be the unorganized looking ones!!

We will make sure to have some beer for any Brethern that stop by.

The question is do you have hot buttered rum to go with your hot buttered bbq???:twisted:

clubjoe
08-12-2008, 10:21 PM
Jeff and I will be there with the new toy. Hope the lessons from Snail work out. Seriously, looking forward to seeing everyone up there. Stop in and say hey.

Randy's (ClubJoe) team -- R Butts R Smokin will be there!!!

And I will be helping!!!

Plowboy
08-17-2008, 09:30 AM
Overall:
1 Jeanie's Got Wood
2 Smokin' Guns
3 TheSlabs.com
4 Bare Bones BBQ
5 Dodge County Smokers
6 Pork Pullin' Plowboys (Todd & Andy)
7 Slaughterhouse Five
8 KC Can Crew
9 Whiskey, Women and Wibs
10 Buffalo's BBQ

Chicken
1 Pork Pullin Plowboys
2 Jeanie's Got Wood
3 D-Don's Pit Crew
4 Slobber'n Hog Bar-B-Crew
5 Whiskey, Women and Wibs
6 TheSlabs.com
7 The Pickled Pig
8 Bocce 'n BBQ Boys
9 Pig Newton
10 Cramerque

Ribs
1 Jeanie's Got Wood
2 F.O.G. BBQ
3 Bare Bones BBQ
4 TheSlabs.com
5 Florida Skin and Bones
6 Smokin' Joe's Barber Q'
7 Slaughterhouse Five
8 Smokin Guns
9 KC Can Crew
10 Pork Pullin Plowboys

Pork
1 Smokin Guns
2 KC Can Crew
3 Florida Skin and Bones
4 Jeanie's Got Wood
5 Nice Ashes
6 Pork Pullin' Plowboys
7 TheSlabs.com
8 Whiskey, Women and Wibs
9 Piggin-n-Swiggin
10 Red Buffalo BBQ

Brisket
1 Dodge County Smokers
2 Buffalo’s BBQ
3 Bare Bones BBQ
4 Flower of the Flame
5 Munchin’ Hogs at the Hilton
6 KC Can Crew
7 Smokin’ R’s
8 Smokin Guns
9 Bibs n’ Ribs
10 Slaughterhouse Five

Solidkick
08-17-2008, 10:22 AM
Did Jeffie let you borrow a razor for the chicken? :twisted:
Congrats on the chicken and your overall placing!

Congrats to all the Brethren that walked this weekend! Nice showing!

SloppyQ
08-17-2008, 11:34 AM
Congrats to all that walked, job well done. What happened to your brisket Todd and did you grab my fan.

Ron_L
08-17-2008, 12:03 PM
Congrats to everyone!

Todd and Andy, congrats on the first in Chicken and Neal, congrats on the first in Brisket.

HoDeDo
08-17-2008, 05:37 PM
Congrats to all that walked, job well done. What happened to your brisket Todd and did you grab my fan.

Your fan is still in my garage. We'll have to figure out the best way to get it to you for Blue Springs.

Pig Headed
08-17-2008, 05:42 PM
Congrats to all Brethren who walked.

Plowboy
08-17-2008, 08:30 PM

I think you mean ANDY'S brisket. :wink: He was beating himself up half the way home. Kept having to remind him that he won chicken. :roll:

HoDeDo
08-17-2008, 08:40 PM
I think you mean ANDY'S brisket. :wink: He was beating himself up half the way home. Kept having to remind him that he won chicken. :roll:

I was happy with the brisket, but it was not up to snuff apparently. Yes, I was the big loser, and tanked us. I am glad I didnt have to take a cab home :razz:

Plowboy
08-17-2008, 09:00 PM
I was happy with the brisket, but it was not up to snuff apparently. Yes, I was the big loser, and tanked us. I am glad I didnt have to take a cab home :razz:

Glad to see that you are over it. :cool:

It WAS very, very good. Just doesn't play in Excelsior, I guess.

HoDeDo
08-17-2008, 09:07 PM
Glad to see that you are over it. :cool:

It WAS very, very good. Just doesn't play in Excelsior, I guess.

I'm over it.... I'm just sayin.... thats all :rolleyes:

Thanks for the ride :tongue:

Ron_L
08-17-2008, 09:15 PM

I overcooked our pork at Elk grove and it ended up costing us the GC. I was kicking myself over it on the phone with Phil and he told me (I'm paraphrasing slightly) "You can woulda... coulda... shoulda yourself to death. Learn from it and fix it the next time you cook". Good advice, I think.

Plowboy
08-17-2008, 10:13 PM

You know the old saying, "Cash, grass, or ass... nobody rides for free." Good thing you made us some money on that chicken. :wink:

Que'inKC
08-18-2008, 07:51 AM
Congrats to everyone who walked...

The judges must have really hated our food...the best we scored was 17th in Pork...Very disappointing to say the least. What's sad is we were pretty happy with everything we turned in, so in this instance it's hard to fix something when you don't know what's broke.

Neal
08-18-2008, 09:31 AM
What's sad is we were pretty happy with everything we turned in, so in this instance it's hard to fix something when you don't know what's broke.

You just just hit the wrong tables. Keep doing what you do and it'll come around.

Que'inKC
08-18-2008, 09:33 AM
You just just hit the wrong tables. Keep doing what you do and it'll come around.

After thinking about it a lot more, that's the conclusion we came to...We're not changing anything for our next comp...

Jeff

Neal
08-18-2008, 09:34 AM
You know the old saying, "Cash, grass, or ass... nobody rides for free." Good thing you made us some money on that chicken. :wink:

Are you sure Andy paid cash for the ride home?
Or were Jeff's friends from the "Switchin' Post" involved?

Plowboy
08-18-2008, 10:18 AM
Are you sure Andy paid cash for the ride home?
Or were Jeff's friends from the "Switchin' Post" involved?

I heard they were all too tired from "hanging out" at the DCS camp all weekend. :eek:

Neal
08-18-2008, 10:22 AM
We were just talking!