PDA

View Full Version : Contest Idea

Roo-B-Q'N
08-11-2008, 10:15 AM
OK, I am toying around with an idea to hold a competition to benefit Operation BBQ for Our Troops Midwest Division and I need all of your honest opinions.
I am looking at a date that is extremely out of the norm, but I think it would be a blast and all will have a great time with some of the ideas I am knocking around and some of the sponsors I feel we can get.
There is a poll to come, but feel free to both vote AND voice an opinion. Your input is going to greatly determine if I should go forward with the contest.

What I have in mind:

The contest will be held in Fremont, Nebraska.
Contestents will have access to RV park power/water, showers, an all purpose use room, and breakfast in the morning plus more
Contest entry would be 100.00 - 150.00
We are shooting for a 5K purse
Contest dates will be December 31st, 2008-January 1st 2009

With these dates in mind, here are the temps for those days since 1997

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w13/roobqn/FremontTemps.jpg

So knowing this who would seriously enter this contest? Give me your thoughts. Poll to follow.

mds2
08-11-2008, 10:55 AM
If it wasnt on New Years eve I would consider it, but there is so much going on between Christmas and New Years it wouldn't even be a possibility for me. If it was like the weekend after new years I would probably do it.

The Giggler
08-11-2008, 10:56 AM
If we lived closer to Nebraska, definitely would give it serious consideration. We don't usually do much on New Years Eve (mostly because its Amateur Night). Better hope that you don't get a swing in weather like 2000 and 2001. Good luck!

Just Pulin' Pork
08-11-2008, 10:59 AM
I would do it! Something new for New Years eve. Sounds like fun!

goodsmokebbq
08-11-2008, 11:10 AM
That chart is in Celsius right :-D:-D

pat
08-11-2008, 11:13 AM
I'll be there. New Years Eve is boring anyway.

Ron_L
08-11-2008, 11:20 AM
KRE Smokers in Chicago sponsors a winter cookoff in the Chicago area in early February and it is a lot of fun. This past February the outside temp was 5 below and 18 teams still showed up. He makes it a one day event and the categories are ribs, chicken, brisket and pork loin and it is a State Championship but not KCBS sanctioned.

txschutte
08-11-2008, 12:17 PM
I get back from Cancun on the 30th. I could stand a bit of cool weather.

mds2
08-11-2008, 12:30 PM
A one day event would be cool, you wouldn't have to fight the cold throughout the night.

The Pickled Pig
08-11-2008, 01:24 PM
I would certainly consider it if was KCBS sanctioned. I've been toying with the idea to go down to FL for the New Year's contest in Felda. NE is a lot closer and and I could save a ton on gas.

We did the Winter contest in Great Bend this year. They allowed teams to set-up prep areas in a heated building while the cookers all remained outside. We chose to set up outside and tough it out. It wasn't so bad but I remember thinking that I would go inside if I had the choice to make over. And, they had 42 teams make the trip so holding a winter KCBS contest might not be such a bad idea.

Jeff_in_KC
08-11-2008, 01:39 PM
I'm not a cold weather fan, Char. I'd probably pass. I actually enjoy the down time in the winter months.

Scottie
08-11-2008, 01:55 PM
I would certainly consider it if was KCBS sanctioned. I've been toying with the idea to go down to FL for the New Year's contest in Felda. NE is a lot closer and and I could save a ton on gas.

I went down to Felda last year and I must say... It's way nicer wearing shorts and a t-shirt on New Year's Day...

Scottie

Roo-B-Q'N
08-11-2008, 02:16 PM
I'm not a cold weather fan, Char. I'd probably pass. I actually enjoy the down time in the winter months.

Stop calling me Char.

Gowan
08-11-2008, 02:18 PM
We'd probably do a show like that if it were within three hours of us, sanctioned on not. Afraid you're a bit too far from NW Georgia to participate though.

BBQ_Mayor
08-11-2008, 03:11 PM
Sounds like fun, but I'm still thawing out from last winter. Can't stand to think about another one yet.:icon_frow

Neal
08-11-2008, 03:18 PM
I think we'd do it, but probably not on NYE.
We also did the Great Bend contest in February and I was blown away by the number of teams. I think the turn-out can be attributed to no other contests happening around the midwest and OK, MO and KS teams were well represented there, as long as it's KCBS sanctioned.

In Fremont I think you would get a good number of MO, NE and IA teams. NYE is just not in the cards for me. Any other weekend would be fine.

Where would it be held, Tom? Christensen Field?

Divemaster
08-11-2008, 03:29 PM
I know that it's over a 9 hour trip but I'd do it! All the more so if it was KCBS...

I may get in trouble for this since the GF is thinking something more romantic than a comp...

What the hell, not the first time I've been in trouble.... Ahhh Honey, I've made plans for us to go south for New Years... No, I don't think we'll fly, more than likely take my truck... Swim suit??? We'll talk when the date is closer....

Smokin Gator
08-11-2008, 03:44 PM
I voted "No Thanks" just because it is too far from Florida. I think it would be an absolute blast though. What a great New Years Eve party it would be.

BBQchef33
08-11-2008, 03:59 PM

Stop calling me Char.

yeah.. his name is Roo-B. :mrgreen:

VGuilford
08-11-2008, 04:17 PM

Jeff's showing his schickness side again.:lol:

thenewguy
08-11-2008, 05:24 PM
No thanks, too farkin' busy that time of year...you know...hibernating and all.
What's a non-snactioned event look like anyways?

beerguy
08-11-2008, 05:39 PM
WOW, whens the last time you did a contest without ICE? Meat inspection is a breeze, just throw your wares out on the picnic table and wait for an offical to walk buy.
Worried about keeping your brewskis cold? Check the last two years avg temps, no problem. Ice coffee is the latest fad, hell thats covered, just leave the joe outside!
(Personally i think its a good cause, but it would be a better cause in Oct or Apr. )

KC_Bobby
08-11-2008, 07:54 PM
Now that the Huskers have absolutely no chance of making a New Year's Day game, a Nebraskan wants to have a BBQ. :mrgreen: Fortunately for me, the Tigers do, but we hope not, we hope they play a week later. :biggrin:

Although I would have to check with the other half of Boondoggle, I'd possibly be interested if we have a toy hauler by then. No way I'm setting up under a carport.

However, I would think the dates of Jan 1 and Jan 2 might work better with more people.

HoDeDo
08-11-2008, 08:08 PM
Tom, We host the Polar Swine Invitational at Melvern Lake in KS. Our event is unsanctioned. All KCBS teams, and even a couple KCBS judges mixed in with our annual judges.... but we use a different judging format - so have never considered santioning. We also have been Stick Burner only - (yes, I have to park the pellet pooper) No forced draft or augers. (That means no Gurus, Stokers etc. either...)

Kent did his Winter Que the weekend after our contest and had over 40 teams!!! so there is a definite draw for sanctioning... and a heated building :) I might just cook it next year if I am not worn out after ours. (Feb 12th-13th)

I dont know if we would be up for a NYE event - esp. with the way it can snow up there... I dont feel like being shang-hied in Nebraska snow with my 5th wheel in tow.
We'd have to see how the winter was going.

U2CANQUE
08-11-2008, 08:26 PM
We are looking at having Operation BBQ for the Troops as the benefit for the Cleveland area contest....going to set it up as first year non-sanctioned, just to get the bugs out in advance.....love the cause.....
The hard part with the cold factor would be just having access to some warmth...maybe having donations of those heat lamp type deals.....

Jeff_in_KC
08-11-2008, 08:35 PM
Stop calling me Char.

Oops! Sorry! I was half asleep. Thought it was your wife posting. hehehe!

kitch
08-12-2008, 11:26 AM
I don't mind the weather...heck part of the fun...

I would even do it in Minnesota at that time of the year...

but I just don't like the fact its newyearseve/day

Big George's BBQ
08-12-2008, 11:49 AM
Sounds like it would be fun, but it is too far away. I like cold weather

Bride of Roo(BQ'n)
08-12-2008, 12:26 PM
Oops! Sorry! I was half asleep. Thought it was your wife posting. hehehe!

HEY now Im offended...you sayin I look like Tom when yours eyes are half shut.....WHY I OUTTA!!!!!!:mad:

butts
08-12-2008, 03:20 PM
Mapquest: Estimated Time: 17.0 hours 33 minutes Estimated Distance: 1113.64 miles

Might be a little far for me but the cold wouldn't scare me off...

Call it "Pigs in a Blanket"