PDA

View Full Version : Madison BBQ, Blues and Balloons, Madison, IN - Aug. 15 - 16, 2008 ***Results Added***

Smoky River BBQ
08-06-2008, 10:23 AM
We probably know who all is going to be there, but let's give this a whirl anyway!

Big Mike
08-06-2008, 11:23 AM
I'm in, will be arriving early Thursday afternoon.

Dale P
08-06-2008, 11:32 AM
Im in. Cant wait to drink all of Jims beer.

Sidw
08-06-2008, 01:09 PM
We plan to roll in sometime between 10 & noon on Thursday. Gives us a chance to set-up our surveillance gear before it gets too crowded.

JayAre
08-06-2008, 06:55 PM
I plan on donating my entry fee down there...we'll be there thurs afternoon

Smoky River BBQ
08-06-2008, 07:22 PM
If all goes well, I plan on rolling in about 1:00 Thursday. Since Madison is my "home away from home", I fully recommend the trolley ride through town, if they offer it again. There is a lot of history in that town. Hopefully, the weather won't be quite as bad as last year!!

Ulcer Acres
08-07-2008, 05:48 AM
UA will be there. Or at least part of it. I am cooking Stag no Drag, the chemist, Marla and assistants will not be along but I am getting some help from part of Team Moonswiners, they may be waitress from TGI Fridays after his deal with them, I hope!

U2CANQUE
08-07-2008, 09:53 PM
Will be in with Double D's, I am going to be in either Thursday afternoonish.....or, Friday morning.....depends on other appointments in the area.....

Dale P
08-09-2008, 08:08 AM
Jim, you are bringing beer arent you?

Rolling Smoke
08-10-2008, 06:38 AM
Weaver is bringing the beer. He says it is the least he can do since he doesn't cook that many contests anymore.

Barrel Smoked BBQ
08-10-2008, 08:34 AM
This is my first post and my first competition! Our team is the Barrel Smokers from Shelbyville, KY.

We look forward to meeting all of you and having a great time.

We will also be vending, so come on by the "log cabin" concession trailer to say Hey!

Sidw
08-10-2008, 10:54 AM
BEER??????

So if I understand what you are saying Jim is that you can actually have beer at these events. :-P

Man, I really need to start paying attention to what is going on in my surroundings.

Who knew? :roll:

Sidw
08-10-2008, 12:45 PM
This is my first post and my first competition! Our team is the Barrel Smokers from Shelbyville, KY.

Great to see another Ky team heading to Madison. Look forward to stopping by and saying hey.

Podge
08-10-2008, 01:40 PM
I'll be there thursday. Looks like it might actually be cooler than previous years there.

U2CANQUE
08-10-2008, 02:12 PM
Barrel, we will try to work our way around to ya...hope to cross paths.....if not, hope ya can get a chance to meet as many as possible.....

And, yes Podge, GRATEFUL that 105 will not be a source of talk......

Looking forward to the contest though.....

Big Mike
08-10-2008, 05:06 PM
But it looks like we're gonna get some rain.

cmcadams
08-10-2008, 10:02 PM
We'll probably be there Friday; it's Mark's wedding anniversary, so no competing. We may be staying (judging if needed), if I can get my cousin's condo right downtown. If so, I may sell showers to those of you out in the heat. :)

But since I'm currently laid off, we're doing it on the cheap; don't be surprised if I stop by and ask for a rib!!! :)

Double D's BBQ
08-11-2008, 07:39 AM
But it looks like we're gonna get some rain.

Rain is our best friend. I don't like tornado's though! Like I said in Fairbanks this year when the rain started.............Bring it on!

See you all in Madison!

Rolling Smoke
08-11-2008, 01:39 PM
BEER??????

So if I understand what you are saying Jim is that you can actually have beer at these events. :-P

Man, I really need to start paying attention to what is going on in my surroundings.

Who knew? :roll:

Sid, this whole beer thing is a relatively new concept from what I understand. Really I think it's another marketing ploy by MMA to lure brewers in as sponsors but either way it's working for me.

Sidw
08-11-2008, 02:49 PM
Jim my friend

This could be BIG!!!!!

I will do all I can to help get the word out. We owe it to all the cookers.

Rolling Smoke
08-11-2008, 03:16 PM
I agree Sid! I think we're on the eve of a great thing and I will gladly offer up my services to spread the word.

The Pigman
08-11-2008, 06:33 PM
Wont be making Madison....Mothers 85th Birthday. Looking forward to seeing all in Sept at Jim Dandys

Smoky River BBQ
08-11-2008, 07:57 PM
I agree Sid! I think we're on the eve of a great thing and I will gladly offer up my services to spread the word.

I, Roger of Smoky River BBQ, do solemnly promise to do my best of spreading the joyous news of BEER by taking the responsibility of opening a cold, refreshing nectar of the hops as I set up for this grand event we call "A BBQ CONTEST"!

Podge
08-11-2008, 08:05 PM
I, Roger of Smoky River BBQ, do solemnly promise to do my best of spreading the joyous news of BEER by taking the responsibility of opening a cold, refreshing nectar of the hops as I set up for this grand event we call "A BBQ CONTEST"!

thank godness you called it a contest and not a sport !:eek:

Rolling Smoke
08-12-2008, 08:48 AM

And yet another diplomat! The word is spreading exponentially (just had to use that word somewhere today) :eusa_clap

Podge
08-12-2008, 09:59 AM
And yet another diplomat! The word is spreading exponentially (just had to use that word somewhere today) :eusa_clap

Ha !!... looks like another Hooked on Phonics satisfied customer ! (dude, i'd let you borrow mine)

Rolling Smoke
08-12-2008, 01:34 PM
Nope, none of that hooked on phonics for me. I've been reading matchbook covers.

Dale P
08-12-2008, 08:55 PM
We have decided to come early Thursday. Looking forward to seeing everyone.

Podge
08-13-2008, 08:21 AM
For some of you who are competing in Madison this weekend and may not have gotten the mass e-mailing to the teams, note that the earliest competitors can check in is 4:00 p.m. on thursday.

CaptTable
08-13-2008, 09:07 AM
Hey, Podge.

Kathy & I will be coming up about mid-afternoon on Friday so we will be on the road at lunchtime. Can you please list all the TGIF's that we will be going by so we can stop at one and have lunch????:lol:

Never mind, you probably have too much on your mind so I guess we will just have to watch for one ourselves!!!

Looking forward to seeing everyone!

Phillip

Podge
08-13-2008, 09:11 AM
Hey, Podge.

Kathy & I will be coming up about mid-afternoon on Friday so we will be on the road at lunchtime. Can you please list all the TGIF's that we will be going by so we can stop at one and have lunch????:lol:

Never mind, you probably have too much on your mind so I guess we will just have to watch for one ourselves!!!

Looking forward to seeing everyone!

Phillip

downtown Louisville, off of I-65 is the only one on your way. It's in the "4th st live" complex.

I don't have anything on my mind except BBQ, BBQ, BBQ, and BBQ.

Scottie
08-13-2008, 09:30 AM
Thunderdome?

Dale P
08-13-2008, 09:53 AM
:icon_sadI screwed up my knee yesterday. Gonna make it hard for me to moon walk. Dang it man. Somebody is going to have to help get beers to me, and please put me near a pee box.
On a good note, the weather forecast looks good.:icon_cool

CaptTable
08-13-2008, 09:58 AM
That's why they call them "porta" johns! Move one of them suckers close to you!

Phillip

Dale P
08-13-2008, 10:04 AM
Shaken, not stirred.

Sidw
08-13-2008, 02:48 PM
:icon_sadI screwed up my knee yesterday. Gonna make it hard for me to moon walk. Dang it man. Somebody is going to have to help get beers to me, and please put me near a pee box.
On a good note, the weather forecast looks good.:icon_cool

If you need a runner for turn ins -just let me know. I swear I will do everything I can to make sure they get there on time and looking good. Trust me!http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/images/icons/icon11.gif

Dale P
08-13-2008, 03:01 PM
You're all heart Sid! lol, Dont worry about me, I can almost stand up now. :shock: Plus I have some helpers that are going to have to really help this weekend.

Sidw
08-13-2008, 03:09 PM
Best of luck, Dale

I really do hope the knee doesn't cause you any problems with turn-ins, getting beers or pee boxes. Let's us know if we can help with anything.

See you there

Dale P
08-13-2008, 03:12 PM
You know, if we get a call, I bet that knee wont hurt for ar least a few minutes! I will waddle up to the stage somehow.

Sidw
08-13-2008, 03:15 PM
Don't you mean "When" you get calls!!!!

Scottie
08-13-2008, 03:16 PM
Those bleachers at the rewards ceremony should be interesting for ya... Maybe sit down in the front row, so you don't go skiing down? 8-)

Have fun boys. Wish I was going again.

Scottie

Dale P
08-13-2008, 09:00 PM
Thanks Scottie. Chances of having fun are real good.

I can taste Jims beer already.

Smoky River BBQ
08-13-2008, 09:41 PM
Since beer seems to be a popular subject, if anyone is game for a pub crawl Thursday night, look me up. I think some of us are going to hit some of the finer establishments in Madison, but i am not sure what time yet. All are within walking distance of the contest area. There are a few neat places in town. Dale, maybe we can "borrow" one of the golf carts in town for you!!

cmcadams
08-13-2008, 09:50 PM
So, being unemployed and maybe getting to fill in if they need judges, can I get an offer for a beer on Friday night, along with a sandwich??? :) [shameless mooch mod]

Dale P
08-14-2008, 06:35 AM
I am walking this morning pretty good actually. See you soon!

Podge
08-14-2008, 07:03 AM
Since beer seems to be a popular subject, if anyone is game for a pub crawl Thursday night, look me up. I think some of us are going to hit some of the finer establishments in Madison, but i am not sure what time yet. All are within walking distance of the contest area. There are a few neat places in town. Dale, maybe we can "borrow" one of the golf carts in town for you!!

Honestly, there'll be so many good ol' boys there tonight, that we'll have better fun crawling around the contest site. :razz:

CaptTable
08-14-2008, 07:47 AM
Just save some for Friday night for those of us who are late arrivals!

Phillip

U2CANQUE
08-14-2008, 12:43 PM
will be checking in about 5ish, stayed at the Holiday Inn in Carrollton last night and tonight, but, going to go set up tent site....will stop by a few that are setting up tonight...went to Key West Shrimp last night....eh...so so, but, the owner is a hoot.....

U2CANQUE
08-17-2008, 05:48 PM
It was a great setting for a contest! The hosts, volunteers, music, phenomenal teams, close scoring that separated 1st to 3rd, .0008 was all that separated the top three. It was a blast, and seeing all of the results from Thursday evenings happenings....had to have been one hellova B.A.C. going on at the time....but, what better way to celebrate the love of BBQ, and the thrill of competition. It was a great thrill to get to take pictures as part of the RGC....and among such great teams and folks overall. Thanks to everyone who listened to me ramble about not getting to spend the event with the g/f's son, the only way to top that day would have been to see him standing up with the next generation of super smokers.

Here are a few of the pictures that I got over the weekend....sorry, forgot the camera in the truck for the awards ceremony, but it was great to see so many Brethren members there, and MANY getting calls. The only bummer I had was not seeing the balloons take off in the morning....anyone have any idea what time they left out?

Anyway, top 10 overall....

Grand Champion: Ulcer Acres BBQ
Reserve Champion: Double D's BBQ

Overall:
1 Ulcer Acres BBQ
2 Double D's BBQ
3 Moonswiners
4 Shigs-In-Pit
5 Pirates of the Grill
6 Buttrub.com
7 A Boy & His BBQ
8 Pig-Pak
9 Eagle River Barbecue
10 Monty Pigthon & the Holy Grill

http://s36.photobucket.com/albums/e34/robmarionlisw/th_Picture007.jpg (http://s36.photobucket.com/albums/e34/robmarionlisw/?action=view&current=ad2aee17.pbw%5D)

It was also great to get to talk to a couple first time competitors...and here is to hoping that it will not take 2 more years to see ya around again. Good times, good to see some ol friends, and make new ones.....

Congrats to Ulcer Acres on the GC

Big Mike
08-17-2008, 08:47 PM
Hey Rob, I didn't see the balloons go up either. Shoot I don't know if they did at all. Congrats to you and Dallas, yall did a great job. Thanks again for "volunteering" Niki, I owe yall.

I took a quick look at the pics, that is a nice logo for the young man. I look forward to meeting him down the road.

U2CANQUE
08-17-2008, 09:35 PM
Mike,

I know that she had a blast doing something that she has not gotten to do yet, the running....and I was more than glad to help out not only a fellow Brethren, but, just a damn good guy!

Hope to see ya soon.....

cmcadams
08-17-2008, 10:08 PM
They did the balloon thing...

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3206/2769078597_de5bacddd0_o.jpg

Sidw
08-18-2008, 10:45 AM
.0008 difference in the top three - that is insane. Just really shows that every conceiveable detail can make a difference. People talk about it being a meat contest and not a garnish contest and presentation has the lowest weight, but how do you know what determined the .0008 difference.

Congrats & great job Ulcer, Double D & Moonswiners!!

U2CANQUE
08-18-2008, 10:59 AM
yeah,that was a close one, and well deserved by Ulcer Acres......look forward to seeing everyone who is going to be in Sharonville.......

Ulcer Acres
08-18-2008, 02:12 PM
Thanks a bunch we were really excited to win a contest like Madison. Lots of good help. And I think the new haircut helped. Made us more stealthy

Scottie
08-18-2008, 02:38 PM
You look like those swimmers....

U2CANQUE
08-18-2008, 03:45 PM
Synchronized womens swimmers? It had to be the haircut.....

Solidkick
08-18-2008, 04:45 PM
You look like those swimmers....

Damn Rev........you sure are gettin uglier! LOL

Congrats on the win this weekend! See at the Royal!

ov1
08-19-2008, 06:34 PM
Congrats Ulcer Acres, Double D's, and all the teams that got a call. What a great contest!

Ottie

The Flying Burritos

FEC-100