PDA

View Full Version : rib cutting question

rookiedad
08-04-2008, 05:31 PM
is it usual to nip a bone in competition ribs or would that get scored down. whenever i cut ribs i usually bump into a bone due to the ribs angles so i have been using the pin method. i have been pushing a pin into the meat between the ribs trying to find the straightest cut line. so does anyone have this problem and short of x-rays are there any solutions.

MilitantSquatter
08-04-2008, 06:16 PM
I don't think it's usual for the turn in box on the better placing ribs. Teams are usually cooking enough racks to get good, clean cuts.

Not sure how you're cutting them currently, but turn them meat side down so you can have better visibility into the line running vertically to be cut.

monty3777
08-04-2008, 08:19 PM
Sounds like maybe your using ST. Louis style - sometimes the angle is pretty severe. Tried loin back?

mds2
08-04-2008, 08:28 PM
When you cut them, place them meat side down on the board, so that you can see the bones.

I do this and it does not mess up the finish on them.

Professor Salt
08-04-2008, 08:37 PM
There's a point along the rack where one bone takes a severe angle. Totally normal, expect it, and just don't use that piece in your box.

Like others have said, cut your rack with the meat side down so you can see the bones easier.

Ford
08-04-2008, 08:46 PM
Reality check - if you pu tthe bones together in the box to form a slab that's been cut nobody sees the bone in the cut until it's on a judges placemat and that's after appearance. Now shaving a whole side off may impact tenderness as the judge could bite and get most of the meat hanging loose.

Putting your ribs meat side down to cut means messing up a nice glaze that you want on KCBS ribs so try to stand them on end and cut them. Look carefully at the underside to see how the bones run. Then cross your fingers and slice with a real sharp knife.

smokincracker
08-04-2008, 08:56 PM
When you cut them, place them meat side down on the board, so that you can see the bones.

I do this and it does not mess up the finish on them.

Ford

I use MDS's method but I also score/cut the ribs ever so slightly prior to cooking using a straight edge. You will be suprised at how you can see the line after they cook.

Good Luck Bro

striped pig
08-04-2008, 09:37 PM
Thanks Jimmy Cracker!! Gonna' try that...stan

rweller
08-05-2008, 08:37 AM
Ford

I use MDS's method but I also score/cut the ribs ever so slightly prior to cooking using a straight edge. You will be suprised at how you can see the line after they cook.

Good Luck Bro

This is probably a dumb question, but what is the MDS method?

I have been wondering what would be the best method for cutting ribs without messing up the nice glaze by cutting them upside down.

mds2
08-05-2008, 09:49 AM
This is probably a dumb question, but what is the MDS method?

I have been wondering what would be the best method for cutting ribs without messing up the nice glaze by cutting them upside down.

He was just referring to my post. It is in no way "my" method.

These ribs were cut meat side down on the cutting board:
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk187/msnodgrass2/IMG_1091.jpg

rweller
08-05-2008, 12:49 PM
He was just referring to my post. It is in no way "my" method.

These ribs were cut meat side down on the cutting board:
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk187/msnodgrass2/IMG_1091.jpg

Well that certainly didn't messup your glaze. Those look great.

Bigmista
08-05-2008, 01:19 PM
There's a point along the rack where one bone takes a severe angle. Totally normal, expect it, and just don't use that piece in your box.

Like others have said, cut your rack with the meat side down so you can see the bones easier.

Professor Salt is the Blade Master on our team and does all cuts. Heed the Blade Master and success will be yours!!

Neal
08-05-2008, 01:23 PM
If you glaze the ribs and put them back in the cooker for 15 or 20 or even 30 minutes at 200 to 250, the glaze will set and it will look shiney without being runny. You will easily be able to flip them over and will have minimal (if any) damage to your glaze.

That said, we flip ribs up on their side. It's a two-man job...Three hands to hold the rack and one to cut.

We never had a problem messing up the glaze, but I did find the chances of losing a piece of the top layer of meat on the rib went up when the rack was upside down on a cutting board.

Professor Salt
08-05-2008, 01:46 PM
You will easily be able to flip them over and will have minimal (if any) damage to your glaze.

That's also my experience. I can see where some folks would worry about it, but it's really minimal. Poorly cut ribs are a far worse problem. I'll take my chances on a better cut rib.

smokincracker
08-05-2008, 01:54 PM
Anyone need a look at some straight ribs?
box with the grass is a KCBS 2nd place box and the meat only is a 1st place FBA box.
I like this thread

Smokin Gator
08-05-2008, 02:17 PM
^^^^^Those look fair!!!

BlueHwyBBQ
08-05-2008, 03:08 PM
That said, we flip ribs up on their side. It's a two-man job...Three hands to hold the rack and one to cut.

We never had a problem messing up the glaze, but I did find the chances of losing a piece of the top layer of meat on the rib went up when the rack was upside down on a cutting board.

My problem when cutting upside down has been losing little bits of the bark. So far we've been able to use toothpicks to put them back on the rib and it hasn't been visible.

When I try to cut them standing on end I tend to get a curvy cut. Do you have this problem or do I just need more practice?

Scott

Neal
08-05-2008, 05:51 PM
When I try to cut them standing on end I tend to get a curvy cut. Do you have this problem or do I just need more practice?
Scott

In my limited experience, I have found that the longer the knife, the straighter the cut. We use our 14" granton slicer, originally purchased for cutting brisket. I try to not "saw" back and forth, but make one easy clean downward cut...and line it up with your eyes to make sure you have the right line. And it helps to have a second set of eyes looking at it too, so you can make adjustments.

BlueHwyBBQ
08-05-2008, 06:33 PM
Thanks. I'll try my big knife the next time I cook ribs. (Looks like an excuse to cook some more ribs. )