PDA

View Full Version : Brisket: Inject, Marinade, or Not at all?

BBQNUTT
08-04-2008, 11:39 AM
Just curious to see how many teams inject versus marinade versus nothing at all. I've never tried injecting brisket, or marinading, but would consider giving it a try if it would improve my scores... :)

michiana mark
08-04-2008, 11:46 AM
I've been known to inject and marinade a brisket or two in my time, sometimes I just cook em like God made em.

Smokin Gator
08-04-2008, 12:52 PM
For comps we always inject. At home I usually do, but not always.

The Pickled Pig
08-04-2008, 01:09 PM
We both inject and marinade. I'm a big fan of the needle for those larger cuts.

Big Ugly's BBQ
08-04-2008, 01:21 PM
We do both, plus the occasional brine when in the mood.

Jacked UP BBQ
08-04-2008, 02:23 PM
We love to inject and marinade, depends on the mood and who we are cooking for!

BBQNUTT
08-04-2008, 02:34 PM
How do you avoid "checkerboard" coloration when you inject brisket? Do you use a clear injection liquid? I've heard people talking about how they like to inject for moisture and flavor, but dont like the color streaks it leaves in the meat for presentation.

Jeff_in_KC
08-04-2008, 02:45 PM
How do you avoid "checkerboard" coloration when you inject brisket? Do you use a clear injection liquid? I've heard people talking about how they like to inject for moisture and flavor, but dont like the color streaks it leaves in the meat for presentation.

Inject with the grain, not down through it. The color in your injection spreads out that way.

The Pickled Pig
08-04-2008, 03:58 PM

In addition to Jeff's advice:

Inject evenly and thoroughly
Stay away from injection ingredients like wooster that stain or oils that will clump
If using Fab, thin out the Fab B or use Fab B Lite
Stress the meat (twist, stretch, bend) after injecting
Marinade for 4+ hours after injecting
Dredge the slices in a filtered au jous/sauce combo that minimizes color variations

beam boys bbq
08-04-2008, 07:29 PM
i was getting on line to ask this question

i have never injected the brisket and i wanted everyone thoughts
now i have them

we use our rub and cook the brisket this is how we have all ways done it

i guess i will have to cook one with an injection

what are you using out there

york

txschutte
08-04-2008, 07:37 PM
Beef broth with a touch of rub...everytime.

MilitantSquatter
08-04-2008, 07:38 PM
i was getting on line to ask this question

i have never injected the brisket and i wanted everyone thoughts
now i have them

we use our rub and cook the brisket this is how we have all ways done it

i guess i will have to cook one with an injection

what are you using out there

york

Might as well try what a lot of the successful teams are using.. Fab B, Fab B Lite or Butchers BBQ Injection.

if you're anti those types of products for competition, then try a mix of beef broth with your favorite spices (garlic powder, cayenne, black pepper etc).

Or.. try a marinade.. lot's of good ones at the supermarkets or online... Worstershire and garlic are also easy to mix up. Click on the "garlicky Barbecue Marinade" from Adam Perry Lang as part of his recipe here. I've never tried it, but the marinade is simple enough to ensure it tastes great.

http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/smoky-barbecued-brisket

bbqbull
08-04-2008, 07:42 PM
I slather, rub and smoke!

HolySmoke
08-04-2008, 07:45 PM
No marinade no injection, got mixed feelings about it -just rub & spritz..

MilitantSquatter
08-04-2008, 07:51 PM
And on the other hand... you have a great cook like Chris Lilly...

The first time I cooked with Chris last year, he let me pick his brain. I got around to asking him about brisket injections and he said he doesn't use anything as it just didn't seem natural when he's tried it (FAB) and likes just dipping in the au jus.. His brisket was fantastic that day I tried it.

beam boys bbq
08-04-2008, 09:37 PM
And on the other hand... you have a great cook like Chris Lilly...

The first time I cooked with Chris last year, he let me pick his brain. I got around to asking him about brisket injections and he said he doesn't use anything as it just didn't seem natural when he's tried it (FAB) and likes just dipping in the au jus.. His brisket was fantastic that day I tried it.

my brisket has been dam good this year and all i do is rub and smoke it
the people that have tried it want to know what i am doing :icon_blush:

one contest it was 7 over all the next week it was 24

i think the next contest i will take and extra brisket and do my normal thing and inject one and see what i think before turn in time

york

The Giggler
08-04-2008, 10:34 PM
Brisket is just tough. Seems like no matter what, each piece is different. We've done both injections and marinades with varying succuess. When cooking at home, I usually skip the injection and just go au natural.

ThomEmery
08-05-2008, 07:53 AM
Marinate has worked well for us

YankeeBBQ
08-05-2008, 08:08 AM
Fab B mixed with water and some spices has worked well for me. I inject with the grain and against the grain. I use about 2 cups injection per brisket.

Divemaster
08-05-2008, 08:34 AM
I slather and rub and then let it sit for as long as I can and then on to the smoker...

As for the 'Fab' products, it just don't seem right... Cook it right and you should have no need for that stuff

Scottie
08-05-2008, 09:30 AM
I use Fab B Lite... I do not have as much success as YankeeBBQ, but I did win a case of beer from him at last year's Royal. Even after he only had one of my briskets swiped.... Fortunately, his thieves couldn't score the other one... :roll:

Honestly though. I've had some real good success using the Fab B lite with my brisket. Have had some nice calls this year, at some big contests... Brisket has been my most consistent prodcut this year and I think it's because of the Fab...

BBQNUTT
08-05-2008, 02:31 PM
In addition to Jeff's advice:

Inject evenly and thoroughly
Stay away from injection ingredients like wooster that stain or oils that will clump
If using Fab, thin out the Fab B or use Fab B Lite
Stress the meat (twist, stretch, bend) after injecting
Marinade for 4+ hours after injecting
Dredge the slices in a filtered au jous/sauce combo that minimizes color variations

What size injector do you use? The injector I use for pork is one I bought from Cabela's that has a 6" needle on it and is probably an 1/8 inch in diameter. Seems too big to be pokin through a brisket that I plan to be turnin in for judging. I would think it would leave the slices looking as though they were target practice with a 12ga shotgun! Seriously though, what size do you use?

Diva Q
08-05-2008, 02:38 PM
We inject all our briskets and we have done pretty well this year with them.
So far 3 1st places for 2008.

We use only CAB briskets the bigger the better, inject with the grain and thats about it.

Butcher BBQ
08-05-2008, 04:25 PM
Well I would be in trouble if I said I don't inject, but I always inject with what else but Butchers. I have a good winner streak with it in both the brisket and the butts. I need to trade someone a brisket recipe for thier best chicken recipe.

Scottie
08-05-2008, 04:33 PM
man... so do I.....

I hate chicken...

U2CANQUE
08-05-2008, 04:35 PM
follow up that hate of chicken.....have found that the only thing consistant about the chicken, is the inconsistency........

U2CANQUE
08-05-2008, 04:37 PM
Mike, going au natural.....I got the digital camera ready.......

Diva Q
08-05-2008, 05:05 PM
Mike, going au natural.....I got the digital camera ready.......

I am sure it would involve him drinking some of his moonshine first 8-)

U2CANQUE
08-05-2008, 06:06 PM
Not Mike......him and moonshine is almost grounds to move this one on over to the woodpile.....

By the way, Welcome Diva.....glad to see ya over here....and yeah, Congrats on your invite to Charcoal Mellowed Mecca.....

The Pickled Pig
08-05-2008, 08:17 PM
What size injector do you use? The injector I use for pork is one I bought from Cabela's that has a 6" needle on it and is probably an 1/8 inch in diameter. Seems too big to be pokin through a brisket that I plan to be turnin in for judging. I would think it would leave the slices looking as though they were target practice with a 12ga shotgun! Seriously though, what size do you use?

I don't know how big the needle is but it's probably close to 1/8". I need a big needle because some of my injections are thick or chunky. Smaller needles clog. We use the Cajun Injector Deluxe (http://www.amazon.com/Chef-Williams-Injector-Deluxe-Marinade/dp/B00005NUVV). Tried lots of imitations and variations but always come back to this one. With practice, you should be able to inject the meat using one hand for both loading and injecting.

Diva Q
08-05-2008, 08:27 PM
Not Mike......him and moonshine is almost grounds to move this one on over to the woodpile.....

By the way, Welcome Diva.....glad to see ya over here....and yeah, Congrats on your invite to Charcoal Mellowed Mecca.....

Thank you very much for the welcome finally got around to joining a while back. I have been lurking since meeting the Lunchmeat Team at Oink last year and seeing their BBQ brethren banner. And thank you for the congrats on the Jack invite. I have a lot of practicing to do between now and then.:|

Alexa RnQ
08-05-2008, 11:27 PM
I don't think there's really any "magic bullet" product or technique. We've taken first with brisket that wasn't injected, and first with brisket that was. I would say that about the same proportion of pure dumb luck was at play in either case. http://www.divaherself.com/funny/shiner.gif