PDA

View Full Version : Kids Q stories

chambeja
08-03-2008, 08:37 AM
Anybody have any good Kids Q stories. I would love to hear em. I have 2 girls who had the wonderful opportunity to compete at the Royal Kids Q. They had such a wonderful time. Needless to say they want to do it again.

Any advice?
Would love to hear it
thanks
beth

U2CANQUE
08-03-2008, 08:41 AM
Will let you know after Maddison, my girlfriends son is doing the hamburger comp this year....like I said, he has his own logo professionally done, t-shirts, a smaller banner with his sponsors listed, has already cooked a lunch for the sponsors for them to help him decide on his hamburger choice, and practiced two times. It has been well worth the experience without even hitting the contest yet...

Dale P
08-03-2008, 10:13 AM
My boy did the amatuer contest at Franklin Ky & won 1st place ribs. Proud of that boy. He might be entering Madison, but football is taking up all his time.

chambeja
08-03-2008, 10:24 AM
Wow. They both sound wonderful. We are mere amateurs at our house. We have had both girls practicing this summer and perfecting their technique.
Keep em coming

Beth

Dale P
08-03-2008, 10:27 AM
Wow. They both sound wonderful. We are mere amateurs at our house. We have had both girls practicing this summer and perfecting their technique.
Keep em coming

Beth

You have the answer. Practice.

chambeja
08-03-2008, 05:56 PM
Lol! Practice is certainly key. Though to be honest, I think having fun with it is just as important. They are looking forward to doing the Kids Q at New Holland Summerfest in PA. Any other kids out there in Cyber space gonna be joining them - from the Brethren?

Beth and family

Wyatt
08-03-2008, 07:02 PM
My son, Wyatt (also a member) has been doing kids Q for about 1 1/2yrs. This next year he said he wants to run with the big dogs. He's tired of cooking hamburgers.

So, next year, Team Boy-B-Que will take the place of Family Tradition BBQ. At 10, (11 at first contest) he will be the youngest Pit Master in NP NE.

(Sorry, this is txschutte) I didn't realize Wyatt was logged in, and not me...:oops:

U2CANQUE
08-03-2008, 07:02 PM
That has been the most fun of it all....spending time with a wide eyed, and eager pupil. He has went to a few contests, and is now so excited about getting to do one on his own. We have enjoyed just getting his grill going...coming up with creative combos, you should have seen his face when he saw the Brethren Burger, his first question, was, yes, do you think I can do that one....answer, no, they cut it back to a one pound amount of beef....but, I like the way the kid thinks.....seeing the wheels turning....I am having more fun with it than a regular practice with the smoker...still trying to figure out how to support, and still get ready for turn in time....but, not at that bridge yet....

Besides, what better way to get the next generation of Brethren going?

U2CANQUE
08-03-2008, 07:03 PM
That is awesome that he is jumping up with the "big boys" that will be a hellova proud moment......

chambeja
08-04-2008, 04:25 PM
How cool to hear a kid is gonna run with the big dogs. I am sure he will do great. After cutting his teeth in the Kids Q he should have the chops! I will be keeping an eye out for Team Boy B Q!

Instert a "passing the torch" quote here ... perfect for barbeque and the olympics! he he

Beth and family

beam boys bbq
08-05-2008, 03:10 PM
caleb my 8 year old was doing kids q the judge was in camp and he was cooking away and he put his chezze on and closed the lid then he opened it back up to check on it and the cheeze fell off he looked at the judge and said "damm it that was not in the plan "and went to the cooler and got an nother pc and went on

that is my boy:rolleyes:

york

butt head
08-05-2008, 03:14 PM
chambeja (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/member.php?u=5534) my son is doing his first kids q at new holland. going by the name of red hot fire balls.:lol:

chambeja
08-05-2008, 05:33 PM
Lol. These kids have a lot of spunk. I can't wait to see how they all do at New Holland - those that will be there anyway!

Keep those stories coming

Beth and family

Big Mike
08-05-2008, 05:45 PM
My boy did the amatuer contest at Franklin Ky & won 1st place ribs. Proud of that boy. He might be entering Madison, but football is taking up all his time.

Maybe you should let him cook your ribs at Madison.:-P

CaptTable
08-06-2008, 05:53 AM
Just gotta pass this Kid's Q story on:

I was running the Kid's Q in Sevierville, TN this year. Wow, that is so much fun!

Anyway, about 1/2 hour into the contest, this little one comes up to me and says, "Sir, will the judges count off if a member of the cook team goes to the playground for a little while?" I like to have lost it!!!

I told him no and I saw him run to his Mother and tell her something and the next thing I knew he was coming off with the apron and he was running to the playground about 20 yards away. Now, there were about 5 or 6 other members on the team so the cooking continued. But, after about 10 minutes, all but one (the oldest) was on the playground equipment.

They ALL came back for the "taking up of the chicken" come turn-in time!

See . . even kid cooks are paranoid about judging:-D

Phillip

smknwhlswife
08-06-2008, 06:05 AM
My girls cooked this last weekend in Laurie, MO. They could do sausage, or hamburger, or hot dogs, or a mix of them to make 1 product; anything goes for the box. Kaylin decided to do cheese/mushroom stuffed sausage and Lauren went with hamburgers. They each did very well. The box is what they had trouble with this time. We weren't prepared for the "anything goes" for the box, we thought it was KCBS rules. So the girls had green leaf lettuce and parsley to deal with. Kaylin only changed her mind 2 times, Lauren dumped our her box 4 times before she ran out of time and just threw in the lettuce and a little parsley. It was pretty funny! Out of 18 kids, Kaylin came in 4th and Lauren came in 6th! Always proud of my girls!

StayDown
08-06-2008, 06:44 AM
I love these stories...keep them coming. I have a 4 year old step daughter that loves to cook with me but she won't eat any BBQ...she is a weird kid..no hamburgers, no pizza..her favorite food is pasta with alfredo sauce! :-o

I am waiting for her to expand her tastes so we can get her to taste Q and start cooking it.

Dale P
08-06-2008, 08:13 AM
Staydown, I think its a girl thing. My daughter wont eat burgers, bbq or anything good because of her figure. Pasta & chicken. She is 17 years old, and those boys are killing me. They are all scared of me, but they scare me worse. Even worse then that, she works at a country club and men hit on her all the time. I will go redneck if I have too.

My boy cant enter at Madison because he wont get there in time "football practice 5 days a week". I am going thursday, and the rest of the hee haw gang will be there saturday before awards.

StayDown
08-06-2008, 09:18 AM
Staydown, I think its a girl thing. My daughter wont eat burgers, bbq or anything good because of her figure. Pasta & chicken. She is 17 years old, and them pesty boys are killing me. They are all scared of me, but they scare me worse.

My boy cant enter at Madison because he wont get there in time. I am going thursday, and the rest of the hee haw gang will be there saturday before awards.

Yerah, crazy women!! Just sit around and clean your guns all the time..that should keep them at bay. As for you being scared of them...I don't blame you. I shudder when I think about her in 10 years.

MRI_Guy
08-06-2008, 10:31 AM
At our local beer tent rib contests - I get MRI_Boy and my neice as involved as possible.

One year, our 'Serving Table' was full of his Tonka trucks. The ribs were in the dump truck, shrimp in the front end loader and sauce in the smaller truck.

This year - I am thinking that our table will have Star Wars stuff. With the ribs presented in his Darth Vader Voice Changing Helmet. Haven't quite figured how I am going to present the rest of our food using his toys - but we'll find a way.

Off to search for past photos...........

butts
08-06-2008, 11:39 AM
William, one of my teammates son is the two time defending GC in Maggie Valley, NC. They have a burger and chicken category, he's won the burger two years in a row.

After he won the first year he said, "I'm only 10 and I already have a GC in my first contest and Shawn (that would be me) is old and he's never even won one!" Little farker

Divemaster
08-07-2008, 10:37 AM
Yerah, crazy women!! Just sit around and clean your guns all the time..that should keep them at bay. As for you being scared of them...I don't blame you. I shudder when I think about her in 10 years.
It's easy for me... Mine is 19, but I've got Billy (Fatboyz) who used to be a bounty hunter, I was in the Navy (SEALS), and another friend owns a funeral home.... We're full service....

After he won the first year he said, "I'm only 10 and I already have a GC in my first contest and Shawn (that would be me) is old and he's never even won one!" Little farker
Trust me, it'll only get worse....:lol:

Sledneck
08-07-2008, 10:44 AM
Lol! Practice is certainly key. Though to be honest, I think having fun with it is just as important. They are looking forward to doing the Kids Q at New Holland Summerfest in PA. Any other kids out there in Cyber space gonna be joining them - from the Brethren?

Beth and family
My son is doing the kids que at new holland again this year

Caseyjoenz
08-07-2008, 11:35 AM
My son did his first Kids Q three years ago in Marshalltown. He was 7 and took 4th place out of 11 kids. Had a blast. Right after the contest, he was making plans for next year. He came up with his own chicken recipe, picked his own sauce off the shelf at Hawgeyes, and was ready to go. During the awards they announced the 4th place winner, then the 3rd...he looked at me and said, "Dad, I fee like I'm going to throw up". That's when I knew he was in it for the long haul. He took first place! I nearly cried I was so proud of him. It was nice to see him get rewarded for working so hard. This year in Marshalltown? Another First Place. Atta Boy!

U2CANQUE
08-07-2008, 11:55 AM
Kind of watching that first sack, first bulldozer block, first home run......it so makes up for the other times that we just want to strangle them.....spoken as a true social worker....so no child services reports needed....laughing....

BBQNUTT
08-07-2008, 02:51 PM
My 5 year old son Derek competed in his first ever kids Q at the Boone County Fair BBQ contest a couple of weeks ago. He was so excited that once we got there on Friday he started asking me "where's the kids Q?" "where are the other kids?" and "did we miss it or somethin?" I kept telling him over and over again that the Kids Q starts on Saturday morning and the kids will not be cooking side by side, but at their Dad's and Mom's cook site. He wasnt buying it and demanded to know why he hasnt gotten to cook anything yet! I just had to smile and remember how I use to be at that age. Anyway, come Saturday he started preping his burgers, then quickly got side tracked by a butterfly! but after a little reminder of whats at stake (the trophy he has always wanted), he was right back at it. Out of 7 kids in his division, he ended up winning! He just looked my wife and I with wide eyes of misbelief. I told him "get up there, you won!" He took off and sprinted about 50 feet to the stage, and got his trophy (actually it was a gold medal :wink:) and came walking back with the biggest smile I've ever seen on his face. That smile stayed there for about an hour, till he fell asleep on the way home. :-D

We didnt do very well at all and it was scorching hot, but it was all worth just for that.

chambeja
08-08-2008, 03:01 PM
What a wonderful story. I can just see the smile on your son's face in my imagination. My daughter has trophy fever too. She has never won one in anything and i think it bothers her a bit. Anything she does, she gives it her all. So she falls hard when she doesn't win. I keep telling her to keep trying and one day she will hit it out of the park. I sure do hope it happens one of these days...cause my smile will be as big as hers!

Beth and family

Sledneck
08-08-2008, 03:33 PM
My son, Wyatt (also a member) has been doing kids Q for about 1 1/2yrs. This next year he said he wants to run with the big dogs. He's tired of cooking hamburgers.

So, next year, Team Boy-B-Que will take the place of Family Tradition BBQ. At 10, (11 at first contest) he will be the youngest Pit Master in NP NE.

(Sorry, this is txschutte) I didn't realize Wyatt was logged in, and not me...:oops:
Yeah right. Pffft Are we supposed to believe that?. We all know the truth. You think that by pretending to be Wyatt that some of his cooking mojo will rub off on you:rolleyes::tongue:

SmokeInDaEye
08-08-2008, 03:45 PM
My six year old, Colin, started grilling last year and has been stealing all of my secrets ever since.:twisted:

He really enjoys it and, interestingly enough, he is a much less picky eater now. He started trying whatever we grilled together and now will try almost anything at least once!

He was considering doing the kids q in New Holland too, but got cold feet so he's going to watch the contest (maybe pit beetch for team Sled?) and do it next year. "I'll be a lot better then, dad, and I'll be seven!"