PDA

View Full Version : Roll Call. Inside 30 days. Lynch Livestock Pig Stampede, Waucoma IA - Aug 1-2, 2008

KC_Bobby
07-26-2008, 11:28 PM
BBQ Mayor? Shotgun? Newguy? Bueller? Anyone?

If anyone has a great sausage receipe ... I'm all ears. I'm thinking a fattie of some sorts.

thenewguy
07-27-2008, 09:58 AM
Not us,hot air ballooning competition is this week-no bbq for me:cry:

pat
07-27-2008, 11:40 AM
Been seeing some balloons in the sky already. Beautiful site :biggrin:

Shotgun
07-27-2008, 04:23 PM
We will be there early friday morning. Wont be doing sausage, but would be willing to sample yours, Bobby.

Buster Dog BBQ
07-27-2008, 05:36 PM
Bobby. Just do a fatty with a really good rub.

BBQ_Mayor
07-27-2008, 07:49 PM
Not going to make it. I may come up and see some people.

Good luck to all.

Ulcer Acres
07-27-2008, 08:18 PM
Our trailer is already up there in the campground. We came from Mason City and dropped it off. The campground is in good shape and looks nice. Except for the bath house that got partially washed away. We are planning on being there late Thursday night.

ModelMaker
07-30-2008, 11:14 AM
We were going to camp in Sumner and drive in Fri. night to vsit but wife has to work all day fri. so that blows camping. Will be there to judge and will stop by before awards to say hey.
ModelMaker (Ed)

clubjoe
08-03-2008, 10:07 AM
Any word yet. I know Iowa's Smokey D's was grand but how about a top 10 in each catagory. I am curious how our own KC Bobby's team Boonedoogle faired.

DMDon
08-03-2008, 01:41 PM
I'm not sure of the complete top tens, Bob has the results sheet with him.
We finished 8th in ribs and 6th in pork. I think chicken was arounf 17th. Overall we finshed DAL, due to I was 40seconds late for turn in on brisket. We both thought we had time based on our clock but it must have lost a couple minutes over teh night. We have have an atomic clock by the next contest. I felt so sick I thought I was going to throw up. To make it even worse, it was the best brisket I have made all year without a doubt. Lesson learned very painfully.

ModelMaker
08-03-2008, 02:18 PM
Man I felt sooo bad to look over and see your box sitting on the table at camp... like I told ya you two are gonna be way harder on yourselves than the rest of the cooks.
And yes, sorry but your brisket was very good.
ModelMaker
Ever upward, ever onward

Buster Dog BBQ
08-03-2008, 03:04 PM
Courtesy KCBS

Grand Champion: Iowa's Smokey D's BBQ
Reserve Champion: Let's Kick Some Ash

Overall:
1 Iowa's Smokey D's BBQ
2 Let's Kick Some Ash
3 Parrothead Smokers
4 Ulcer Acres
5 Dry To Da Bone
6 The Heat Is On
7 Porkrastinators
8 Iowa Outlaws BBQ
9 Shotgun BBQ
10 Big Shooter & Spike
11 Quau
12 2 Swines & A Knuckle Dra
13 Farm Boy
14 If You Got'em Smoke'm
15 Ponderosa BBQ
16 Smokin Bandit BBQ
17 Smoker On Wheels
18 Smokey D's Wannabees
19 Nice Rack
20 PIP Squeaks
21 Motley Q
22 Team Deliverance
23 T J Hunters
24 Bonnie & Clyde's RdKill
25 Boondoggle BBQ

Chicken:
1 Iowa's Smokey D's BBQ
2 Dry To Da Bone
3 Ulcer Acres
4 Shotgun BBQ
5 The Heat Is On
6 2 Swines & A Knuckle Dra
7 Let's Kick Some Ash
8 Smoker On Wheels
9 Big Shooter & Spike
10 Iowa Outlaws BBQ
11 Parrothead Smokers
12 Team Deliverance
13 Smokin Bandit BBQ
14 Motley Q
15 Smokey D's Wannabees
16 Nice Rack
17 Boondoggle BBQ
18 Quau
19 Porkrastinators
20 PIP Squeaks
21 Farm Boy
22 If You Got'em Smoke'm
23 Ponderosa BBQ
25 T J Hunters

Ribs:
1 Porkrastinators
2 Farm Boy
3 Dry To Da Bone
4 2 Swines & A Knuckle Dra
5 Big Shooter & Spike
6 Ponderosa BBQ
7 Let's Kick Some Ash
8 Boondoggle BBQ
9 Shotgun BBQ
10 Parrothead Smokers
11 Smokin Bandit BBQ
12 Nice Rack
13 The Heat Is On
14 Iowa Outlaws BBQ
15 Iowa's Smokey D's BBQ
16 T J Hunters
17 Quau
18 Smoker On Wheels
19 Ulcer Acres
20 Smokey D's Wannabees
21 If You Got'em Smoke'm
22 PIP Squeaks
23 Team Deliverance
24 Motley Q
25 Bonnie & Clyde's RdKill

Pork:
1 Iowa's Smokey D's BBQ
2 Let's Kick Some Ash
3 Ulcer Acres
4 Parrothead Smokers
5 Iowa Outlaws BBQ
6 Boondoggle BBQ
7 Ponderosa BBQ
8 Porkrastinators
9 The Heat Is On
10 Farm Boy
11 Smokey D's Wannabees
12 PIP Squeaks
13 Quau
14 If You Got'em Smoke'm
15 Smoker On Wheels
16 Shotgun BBQ
17 Bonnie & Clyde's RdKill
18 Smokin Bandit BBQ
19 Dry To Da Bone
20 Big Shooter & Spike
21 Motley Q
22 2 Swines & A Knuckle Dra
23 T J Hunters
24 Nice Rack
25 Team Deliverance

Brisket:
1 Parrothead Smokers
2 Let's Kick Some Ash
3 Ulcer Acres
4 Dry To Da Bone
5 Iowa's Smokey D's BBQ
6 Iowa Outlaws BBQ
7 The Heat Is On
8 If You Got'em Smoke'm
9 Quau
10 Nice Rack
11 Big Shooter & Spike
12 Porkrastinators
13 Motley Q
14 Shotgun BBQ
15 2 Swines & A Knuckle Dra
16 PIP Squeaks
17 Team Deliverance
18 Smokin Bandit BBQ
19 Smokey D's Wannabees
20 Ponderosa BBQ
21 Farm Boy
22 Smoker On Wheels
23 T J Hunters

watertowerbbq
08-03-2008, 09:16 PM
We finished 8th in ribs and 6th in pork. I think chicken was arounf 17th. Overall we finshed DAL, due to I was 40seconds late for turn in on brisket. We both thought we had time based on our clock but it must have lost a couple minutes over teh night. We have have an atomic clock by the next contest. I felt so sick I thought I was going to throw up. To make it even worse, it was the best brisket I have made all year without a doubt. Lesson learned very painfully.

Don & Bobby,

Sorrry to hear about the brisket, but don't kill yourself. Lesson learned and you won't do that again. I'm really happy for you guys, 2 top tens is always good news. Keep up the good work! Boondoggle is a team to be reackoned with. :-D

watertowerbbq
08-03-2008, 09:17 PM
Congratulations also to Shotgun! Way to go Jay! :-D

Plowboy
08-03-2008, 09:40 PM

Been there. We missed a legitimate shot at a GC a couple years ago because I was 90 seconds :eek: late on ribs. Never made that mistake again. You live and learn. Roll with it.

Neal
08-04-2008, 08:38 AM
Might be off topic...but does this contest still count as a qualifier? There were 25 teams, but not all 25 teams were judged in all 4 categories.

I have seen a few people say some rules were altered this year so that contests can't get to 25 teams by having a few guys come cook chicken and/or ribs only.

Do you have to have 25 teams in all 4 categories to be a qualified State Championship?

KC_Bobby
08-04-2008, 09:17 AM
Actually, I've been kinda waiting for someone to bring this up.

Mike and Teresa Lake were the reps for this comp. Being we were the team that didn't get in the brisket entry, we made sure to talk to both of them before we left about this exact situation - we realized immediately what it caused.

Mike said he would bring it up and see what could be done. I got the feeling that he's hoping that it will be considered an official comp since the team that did not get the brisket turned in on time also had 2 calls and they (we) also brought the brisket to the turn in table, but it was 40 seconds late. And an average brisket score to put us in the top 10 overall.

Those of you who competed in Waucoma, trust us we feel worse about this possiblity then how it effected our finish.

ModelMaker
08-04-2008, 04:27 PM
I'm not sure of all the political aspects of this but you were there, paid your fees and competed in all four catagories. In my mind your entry was DQ'd but was still there.
I hope for all concerned this works out well.
ModelMaker

watertowerbbq
08-04-2008, 04:37 PM
No matter how it turns out, you guys had no intention of doing it. Hopefully, KCBS will consider it a full contest. Keep your chin up guys.

Shotgun
08-04-2008, 08:20 PM
Congratulations also to Shotgun! Way to go Jay! :-D
Thanks Matt, it was a good contest. they did a great job getting the park in shape. Bobby and Don did a great job themselves just to bad about the brisket. Next time guys.

tboneld
08-05-2008, 09:24 AM

Hey Don and Bobby, sorry to hear about the brisket. :sad: We don't have a clock, at all, need to get one. We usually end up turning in early, which means cold food.) I think they have a decent looking atomic clock at Sams, don't recall the price.

watertowerbbq
08-05-2008, 09:10 PM
This might be a dumb question, but doesn't your cell phone work off the atomic clock? I always thought it did and when I've checked my phone against the one they walk around with at the contests, I've always matched exactly.

KC_Bobby
08-05-2008, 09:50 PM
Sure ... if I could get service in Waucoma. Farkin' Sprint.

But I knew that would be the case prior to the comp. My cell phone has never worked in Waucoma (my grandma lives there). We always use a standard wall clock due to hands being full and dirty, but I have been known to check it against my cell phone at other locations prior to turn ins to see if it's still right. God know's I'll be doing that from now on - even with an Atomic clock.

No excuses though, we could have walked up to the turn ins with our clock or even asked the people next to us. It was a lesson learned the hard way.