PDA

View Full Version : Cutting ribs for turn-in

DBrentster
07-20-2008, 05:58 PM
I've seen a lot of comments about cutting from the same slab.

My question is where do you make the rib cut? So if I'm looking down at a rib, are you cutting all the way next to the adjacent bones (for maximum meat per rib) or directly in the center of the meat adjacent to the next bones.

In the first case (which is the way I've been cutting) you lose a lot of bones that way and to make size equal I take from multiple slabs.

I hope that is not too confusing.

MilitantSquatter
07-20-2008, 07:31 PM
I think most teams are going center cut between bones.

That's what I've always done.

txschutte
07-20-2008, 07:38 PM
I really look for my slabs that have bunch of meat on top of the bone as well.

Divemaster
07-21-2008, 02:04 PM
I've seen a lot of comments about cutting from the same slab.

My question is where do you make the rib cut? So if I'm looking down at a rib, are you cutting all the way next to the adjacent bones (for maximum meat per rib) or directly in the center of the meat adjacent to the next bones.

In the first case (which is the way I've been cutting) you lose a lot of bones that way and to make size equal I take from multiple slabs.

I hope that is not too confusing.
I think what you are talking about is a 'Hollywood Cut'.

I'm not a big fan of them and normally go between the bones.

I really look for my slabs that have bunch of meat on top of the bone as well.
That is tough to find, so once you get a good supplier, start keeping your trophies there...

smoke showin'
07-21-2008, 02:25 PM
down the center makes for better presentation

Professor Salt
07-21-2008, 03:29 PM
I do Hollywood cut for IBCA contests. The judges have to sample turn ins with a plastic fork and knife. They can not pick up the meat with their hands. Under those circumstances, it's better to have as much meat on the bone as possible.

HolySmoke
07-21-2008, 03:34 PM
Down the center from multiple slabs

Divemaster
07-21-2008, 03:57 PM
I do Hollywood cut for IBCA contests. The judges have to sample turn ins with a plastic fork and knife. They can not pick up the meat with their hands. Under those circumstances, it's better to have as much meat on the bone as possible.
Damn, now they got laws on how to eat ribs in California???? Bet you guys don't use the table cloth to wipe your faces either...

Smokin Gator
07-21-2008, 04:06 PM
They can not pick up the meat with their hands.

You have got to be kidding!!! You can't pick up BBQ with your hands???

CajunSmoker
07-21-2008, 04:13 PM

Not only that, but as a cook you have to put them in the box facing the right direction or you get DQ'd:roll:. I'll stick with KCBS, garnish and all:cool:.

Professor Salt
07-21-2008, 04:15 PM
Damn, now they got laws on how to eat ribs in California???? Bet you guys don't use the table cloth to wipe your faces either...

IBCA is based in Texas. We don't makes the rules, we just follows them.

DBrentster
07-21-2008, 08:31 PM
"Hollywood cut"

Learn something new here every day.

You guys rock.

Professor Salt
07-21-2008, 10:12 PM
Here's a shot of an IBCA turn in box. Rules require 7 portions per box. No garnish of any kind, just the supplied piece of aluminum foil. Ribs have to be laid parallel to the hinge of the box.

Notice the stacked 3 on 4 presentation. With a Hollywood cut, you can maybe fit four ribs on one layer.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2282/1914325444_867db21194.jpg?v=0

ThomEmery
07-21-2008, 10:21 PM

7 Ribs Judged by 12 or more Judges
Ya got ta use a knife and fork