PDA

View Full Version : UDS and Comps

StayDown
07-16-2008, 11:34 AM
I was curious how many people use, have used or know of those that have used a fleet of UDS for comps.

I was thinking about making about 5 of them and eventually working my way into comps that way I get the experinece without the huge investment up front that I can't deal with right now.

What would be the downside to using them for a comp?

PatioDaddio
07-16-2008, 11:56 AM
I used two homemade drums (http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2104/2498848364_f252d800da_o_d.jpg) at a competition in Provo, Utah (http://www.utahbbq.org/viewtopic.php?t=1395) on the 4th, and they performed flawlessly. I used to be a diehard WSM cook, but I have seen the promised land, and the scores to match. :grin:

John

Jaybird
07-16-2008, 11:57 AM
If you have no problem haulin them around then there is no downside. I've been using 2 BDS's for chicken and ribs for a few years now. Also use WSM's for heavy meats. I store my WSM's inside the drums while traveling and use a hitch carrier. This allows me to use the rest of the bed of my truck for stuff.
And...it's not the cooker...it's the cook...you can master any cooker.

Sawdustguy
07-16-2008, 12:04 PM
Remember it's the cook, not the cooker. You can still make crappy Que in an expensive cooker.

StayDown
07-16-2008, 12:07 PM
I am a machinist/welder so if I did have an issue hauling them I could always fabricate something/

bbqczar
07-16-2008, 12:09 PM
If you have no problem haulin them around then there is no downside. I've been using 2 BDS's for chicken and ribs for a few years now. Also use WSM's for heavy meats. I store my WSM's inside the drums while traveling and use a hitch carrier. This allows me to use the rest of the bed of my truck for stuff.
And...it's not the cooker...it's the cook...you can master any cooker.

Yeah,but Jay,you're one of those 'elitist" !!!:lol::lol::lol:

Jaybird
07-16-2008, 12:30 PM
Yeah,but Jay,you're one of those 'elitist" !!!:lol::lol::lol:

Now Tim, that's just on that other forum, you know, the one where only five of us post.:wink:

Sledneck
07-16-2008, 12:47 PM
. I store my WSM's inside the drums while traveling and use a hitch carrier. This allows me to use the rest of the bed of my truck r.Do you have any pics of that?

Sledneck
07-16-2008, 12:48 PM
I used two homemade drums (http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2104/2498848364_f252d800da_o_d.jpg) at a competition in Provo, Utah (http://www.utahbbq.org/viewtopic.php?t=1395) on the 4th, and they performed flawlessly. I used to be a diehard WSM cook, but I have seen the promised land, and the scores to match. :grin:

JohnBesides cooking grate size, are their any other adavantages that the UDS has over a WSM? ANy downnside to a UDS over a WSM?

Big George's BBQ
07-16-2008, 12:57 PM
I have to agree with Sawdustguy

StayDown
07-16-2008, 12:57 PM
Remember it's the cook, not the cooker. You can still make crappy Que in an expensive cooker.

Yes but is it not harder to make good Q in a crappy cooker?

PatioDaddio
07-16-2008, 12:58 PM
Besides cooking grate size, are their any other adavantages that the UDS has over a WSM? ANy downnside to a UDS over a WSM?I think the biggest advantage, other than capacity, is the "down home flavor" that what I call "direct indirect" cooking provides. In short, the rendered fat drips, vaporizes on the coals, and adds another flavor dimension.

Oh, one other bonus is the ease of use and clean-up. No more foiling and filling water pans for me. :wink:

I hope this helps,
John

Jaybird
07-16-2008, 01:10 PM
I think the biggest advantage, other than capacity, is the "down home flavor" that what I call "direct indirect" cooking provides. In short, the rendered fat drips, vaporizes on the coals, and adds another flavor dimension.

Oh, one other bonus is the ease of use and clean-up. No more foiling and filling water pans for me. :wink:

I hope this helps,
John

I agree John, the flavor is awesome and it's probably the easiest cooker to use/clean.

StayDown
07-16-2008, 01:13 PM
I think the biggest advantage, other than capacity, is the "down home flavor" that what I call "direct indirect" cooking provides. In short, the rendered fat drips, vaporizes on the coals, and adds another flavor dimension.

I hope this helps,
John

Would you not also get the same vapor from a regular smoker? The fat should drip onto a hot (semi hot anyway) metal pan and do the same thing right?

Sledneck
07-16-2008, 01:14 PM
Has anybody put a stoker/guru on it before?

PatioDaddio
07-16-2008, 01:16 PM
Jay - Looks like we'll be going at it drum-to-drum at Rock'n Ribs next month (with that cousin of yours, of course :roll: :-D). I look forward to seeing you.

John

PatioDaddio
07-16-2008, 01:17 PM
Would you not also get the same vapor from a regular smoker? The fat should drip onto a hot (semi hot anyway) metal pan and do the same thing right?Metal at 220-275* isn't really the same as burning coals. The key is the vaporizing.

John

StayDown
07-16-2008, 01:20 PM
Metal at 220-275* isn't really the same as burning coals. The key is the vaporizing.

John

True, I will give ya that just sems to me that the bottom of a smoker would be a bit hotter than the temp on the grate itself.

I will take your word for this though.

So another question...why an 85 gallon for brisket and pork? is a 55 just not big enough to handle the job?

Jaybird
07-16-2008, 01:24 PM
Metal at 220-275* isn't really the same as burning coals. The key is the vaporizing.

John

John's right again. My big offset has a drain for the grease as you are cooking...no vaporizing. You will not find any grease at the bottom of your drum.

Jaybird
07-16-2008, 01:26 PM
Jay - Looks like we'll be going at it drum-to-drum at Rock'n Ribs next month (with that cousin of yours, of course :roll: :-D). I look forward to seeing you.

John

Don't think Dave is going to join us this time. Too busy catering.
Lookin forward to seein you to.

BigdogKC
07-16-2008, 01:31 PM
I am going to be using two UDS's at a comp next month, and if all goes well that is all I will ever use!! There is no reason not to do butts and brisket on a 55 gallon. I have one UDS that only has one rack and it is low enough for the flat lid to not be a problem. Then I have a second UDS with a weber top, so I can use 2 racks. I am not sure which meat is going where, but I have some time to figure that out. The point is I don't see why you would need 5 UDS's for a comp. I also use a Weber grill for finishing/burgers and brats for the impatient.

PatioDaddio
07-16-2008, 01:41 PM
So another question...why an 85 gallon for brisket and pork? is a 55 just not big enough to handle the job?Both of mine are 55-gallon, but because of the domed lid (http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2125/2498022699_4ec452685c.jpg?v=0) they have two racks (http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3257/2498848942_bc2e4dca96_o.jpg). I use the top rack which is less than an inch down from the drum lip. Butts (http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2019/2524315339_38fa8bd31c_o.jpg) and brisket (http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2119/2525137000_e031835619_o.jpg) cook very, very well (http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3089/2524315479_deea4893bb_o.jpg) on mine.

John

PatioDaddio
07-16-2008, 01:43 PM
Yeah! What BigdogKC said! :-P

Smokin Gator
07-16-2008, 02:06 PM
I did my a comp on just two UDSs. One had a flat lid and the other had a Weber lid and two racks.

I did two butts on one with cherry wood and did two briskets on the other one with hickory if I remember correctly. The next morning I had no problem getting the butts off and coolered when I wanted to use the one with cherry for the ribs. Later the one with the briskets was ready for the chicken without problem as well.

Stiltz6ft9in
07-16-2008, 02:09 PM

This would be know as the "Artery Clogging Heart Attack Mod"

Divemaster
07-16-2008, 02:09 PM

John
I may have to disagree when it comes to reverse flow smokers... There is a layer of steal that get's so hot that I'm willing to say that it is vaporizing the juices that drip down...

Don't get me wrong, I love my cottage cooker, but I love my Lang more....

StayDown
07-16-2008, 02:12 PM
I was building 5 for a few reasons. I wanted 2-3 for comp that will allbe the same and the other 2-3 would have different mods done to them. I like to play with metal so the more the merrier for me.

I even have a good idea for putting the name of the UDS or the name of my team on the UDS itself...without paint!

Dr_KY
07-16-2008, 02:13 PM
You will not find any grease at the bottom of your drum.
I find grease at the bottom of mine but my basket is onlt 18 inches wide.

StayDown
07-16-2008, 02:17 PM
I may have to disagree when it comes to reverse flow smokers... There is a layer of steal that get's so hot that I'm willing to say that it is vaporizing the juices that drip down...

I guess I was thinking of the reverse flow when considering the bottom pan being hot enough to vaporize.

Jaybird
07-16-2008, 02:56 PM

You're right, my Lang did have that 'vaporize' flavor. Been a few years since I sold it....forgot about that.

bbqczar
07-16-2008, 02:57 PM
Now Tim, that's just on that other forum, you know, the one where only five of us post.:wink:

LOL !! Oh ,yeah,I forgot :lol::lol:

CajunSmoker
07-16-2008, 05:30 PM

I think Brent (SmokinGator) has one on his. I never really understood the need for one though since the temps are so stable.

I find grease at the bottom of mine but my basket is onlt 18 inches wide.

I found out the hard way that there is grease on the bottom when I left the lid off after cooking and a grease fire started and burned off all my paint and my fluer de lis.

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm289/cajunsmoker/IMG_0803.jpg

I use two UDS's, a modded out ECB and weber kettle for comps. I store my ECB inside one of the UDS's.

toys4dlr
07-16-2008, 06:20 PM

I used my Stoker (with the Stump attachment) with a simple adaptor on my 3/4 ball valve and I shut down all other valves. It worked great, but I only used it for some ribs. I did not test the overnight part, but I bet it would work with no problems. In fact, I might try it this weekend, as the wife and kids are out of town.

Got to do something to keep me out of trouble. :-D

I carry my Stumps for the long cooks with the Stoker and use the UDS for Ribs. I have been using the XL BGE for Chicken, but I am thinking about building another UDS for that use. The XL BGE is Farking heavy. Maybe I will just borrow one of Jays, I mean he has 19 smokers he won't miss one little BDS??? :-D

swamprb
07-16-2008, 07:26 PM
I brought 3 drums and a WSM to my first comp and never fired the WSM up. If I had my timing together I would have only used 2 drums and felt good! The drum is a chicken cooking machine and I feel I'm doing good with it in the comps I've done and this is my first year. I'm still up in the air over using all drums over WSM's for heavy meats, but at least I'm ready for anything with 3 drums and 4 WSM's in my arsenal now.
I can't envision using a draft system on my drums, they RAWK STEADY on their own, and my WSM's run dry with the pizza stone mods so unless I let the temps run off its my own fault, they are pretty steady this way. I do like Jaybird, and use the drums to haul charcoal, lump, woods, propane tank and torch etc. to maximize space.

I got a comment card from a judge saying my chicken tasted like I used liquid smoke, and he was probably right, I filled the drum grate to the max with thighs and thats giving off a lot of moisture, great for bite through the skin. But a lot of people aren't used to drum taste, so I gotta find my fine line and tune it.

Smokin Gator
07-17-2008, 07:03 AM
I think Brent (SmokinGator) has one on his. I never really understood the need for one though since the temps are so stable.

Yep... I used the Stoker twice on the UDS. I won't do it again. You just don't need to. Once you get used to your drum you can control the temp without much problem and once it is set you don't have any problems as long as you leave it alone.

Dr_KY
07-17-2008, 09:58 AM

I found out the hard way that there is grease on the bottom when I left the lid off after cooking and a grease fire started and burned off all my paint and my fluer de lis.

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm289/cajunsmoker/IMG_0803.jpg

I use two UDS's, a modded out ECB and weber kettle for comps. I store my ECB inside one of the UDS's.

OUCH! You just gave me a design idea for the mini UDS though.

CajunSmoker
07-17-2008, 06:05 PM
OUCH! You just gave me a design idea for the mini UDS though.

Glad to help:rolleyes:

VGuilford
07-18-2008, 10:23 AM
I was curious how many people use, have used or know of those that have used a fleet of UDS for comps.

I was thinking about making about 5 of them and eventually working my way into comps that way I get the experinece without the huge investment up front that I can't deal with right now.

What would be the downside to using them for a comp?

Jeff@KC cooks on them all the time. He has 4 grands this year and they got grand at the Royal last year cooking on trash cans.

Bigmista
07-18-2008, 12:04 PM
Before I got the Spicewine, I used mine to cook briskets for our team. Got a couple of firsts with it.

Alexa RnQ
07-18-2008, 07:55 PM
...why do I read these threads? Every time I open them up, I want a new toy. http://www.divaherself.com/funny/blank.gif

Jaybird
07-19-2008, 09:06 AM
...why do I read these threads? Every time I open them up, I want a new toy. http://www.divaherself.com/funny/blank.gif

You haven't even put your last toy together yet!!:wink:

toys4dlr
07-19-2008, 01:12 PM
They aren't home enough to put it together. And really with all the prize money lately, why would they dirty their hands with that manual labor thing. :-D

Vince RnQ
07-19-2008, 02:51 PM
They aren't home enough to put it together. And really with all the prize money lately, why would they dirty their hands with that manual labor thing. :-D

Dave, you seem to forget that I'm the mule on this little ol' barbeque team!

http://www.rhythmnque.com/2008asskickin/bobbledonkey.jpg

bbqczar
07-21-2008, 11:12 PM
Hey VQ,why you got to be such an A$$ about things :lol::lol::lol::lol: