PDA

View Full Version : Jack Questions

Coz
07-15-2008, 08:41 PM
Ok for all of us ignorant newbies,please explain the draw process etc.We are trying to figure out if we should go to the Royal or take our lumps in the Jack Draw.Cant go to both.If I have it figured right for Wi. for this years draw theres a 1 in 6 chance?

MilitantSquatter
07-15-2008, 08:52 PM
Here's what Ted posted last year.

Not sure of the specifics as to how many contests were in WI and who the winners were or what states they reside in if that factors in.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=486089&postcount=26

Scottie
07-15-2008, 11:35 PM
You don't ever give up an opportunity or the chance to go to the Jack...

That is all I can say...

Worry about the days IF you get get lucky enough to have your name drawn....

Ford
07-16-2008, 05:35 AM
You'll win more and get the chance at the Royal again. But you may only get drawn once for the Jack. If you can only do one then wait and hope. And if you don't win the draw find a contest in October that counts for next year and start the process all over again.

Podge
07-16-2008, 07:45 AM
Ok for all of us ignorant newbies,please explain the draw process etc.We are trying to figure out if we should go to the Royal or take our lumps in the Jack Draw.Cant go to both.If I have it figured right for Wi. for this years draw theres a 1 in 6 chance?

I've only concerned myself with the Jack just because that i don't want to go to the royal and be parked around a bunch of yahoo's who want to do nothing but party and steal you stuff. If i could park with the people i want to park with, i'd do it. I remember that it has been said, a few years ago that the royal used to park all the invitational teams together. I'd go if that'd happen.

kcpellethead
07-16-2008, 07:50 AM
I've only concerned myself with the Jack just because that i don't want to go to the royal and be parked around a bunch of yahoo's who want to do nothing but party and steal you stuff. If i could park with the people i want to park with, i'd do it. I remember that it has been said, a few years ago that the royal used to park all the invitational teams together. I'd go if that'd happen.

Then pack your things! The Invitational teams are pretty much altogether, unless you ask to be somewhere else or procrastinate in getting your info turned in. As for getting a space next to the Midwest Mafia or A Team or whatever the name is this week, just look at the map and space assignments from last year and figure out who's not coming back. Those spots will be available this year. The legend of the American Royal is so much bigger and badder than the reality. If the opposite were true, nobody would return. Come on up and play with us in Kansas City!

Rod

Sledneck
07-16-2008, 08:22 AM
You don't ever give up an opportunity or the chance to go to the Jack...

That is all I can say...

Worry about the days IF you get get lucky enough to have your name drawn....
I hope that the guy from long island who is in the draw who won a contest in sayville and runs a bbq forum board is LISTENING !!!!!!!!!

Podge
07-16-2008, 08:24 AM
Then pack your things! The Invitational teams are pretty much altogether, unless you ask to be somewhere else or procrastinate in getting your info turned in. As for getting a space next to the Midwest Mafia or A Team or whatever the name is this week, just look at the map and space assignments from last year and figure out who's not coming back. Those spots will be available this year. The legend of the American Royal is so much bigger and badder than the reality. If the opposite were true, nobody would return. Come on up and play with us in Kansas City!

Rod

I reckon i need to re-visit this then !.. how do i get a map of space assignments ?

Sledneck
07-16-2008, 08:28 AM
When is the cut off for this year?

Jorge
07-16-2008, 08:36 AM
I reckon i need to re-visit this then !.. how do i get a map of space assignments ?

Here is a link to the map. The list isn't available on the AR site any longer. Anybody out there save it from last year?

http://americanroyal.com/portals/0/07Barbecuemap.pdf

Neal
07-16-2008, 08:52 AM

Podge-
You can see a map of assignments here:
http://americanroyal.com/portals/0/07Barbecuemap.pdf
The link is on the online application...by the part where you list your preferred spot assignment.

We have been in Lot B (where most invitational teams are for the most part) in spot 750 for 4 years (on "Spice & Dice" Row). Being in an isolated area near the edge of the contest helps. Plus we like our neighbors...they all been there as long or longer than us...and that is also the cheapest spot they have ($175 for 20x25 fits out cooker, tent and my pickup). We just need to do something about our results!

Sled-
The cut off for returning teams to save their space is this Friday - 7/18. The deadline to send your application in for the invitational is Sept. The deadline for the open is August 8. But if anyone is wanting to get a good spot I'd call them asap.

Paola Greg
07-16-2008, 08:57 AM

The cutoff for returning teams requesting to have their same space is this Friday July 18th. The deadline for all teams wanting to cook in the Open is
Aug.8th or when all spaces are full, whichever comes first. Invitational teams wanting to cook in the Open also must enter the open ahead of time.
Basically the earlier you enter, the better chance you have of getting your requested space or close to it.

Scottie
07-16-2008, 09:32 AM

Rod

I wonder why the Royal has never sent me any material for this year's contest? I wonder why I qualify for the Invitational and I don't get a offer? I mean, they do treat their cooks with the utmost respect and dignity...

As for just take a look at the map. Unfortunately, the map does not show that your neighbors are going to be having a party until 3:00 am or allow their drunken idiot guests to steal fire extinguishers and who knows what else. It also doesn't show how you will be treated unfairly by the Royal CEO and his head henchwoman BBQ Organizer.. Who has about as much of a clue about BBQ and what we do as we have knowledge about finger nail painting... Where all of a sudden it's the victim's fault and not the drunken idiots or the Royal for that matter to accept blame. I mean, it is our responsiblity as Invitational cooks to police our neighbors and to call them in to Barney Fife and his security crew...

sorry... Just a quick rant...

Sledneck
07-16-2008, 09:37 AM
tent and my pickup). We just need to do something about our results!

Sled-
The cut off for returning teams to save their space is this Friday - 7/18. The deadline to send your application in for the invitational is Sept. The deadline for the open is August 8. But if anyone is wanting to get a good spot I'd call them asap.

The cutoff for returning teams requesting to have their same space is this Friday July 18th. The deadline for all teams wanting to cook in the Open is
Aug.8th or when all spaces are full, whichever comes first. Invitational teams wanting to cook in the Open also must enter the open ahead of time.
Basically the earlier you enter, the better chance you have of getting your requested space or close to it.Sorry let me rephrase What date is the cutoff to win a contest and get in to the Jack for 2008?

Scottie
07-16-2008, 09:42 AM
August 31...

Alexa RnQ
07-16-2008, 10:40 AM
I wonder why the Royal has never sent me any material for this year's contest? I wonder why I qualify for the Invitational and I don't get a offer? I mean, they do treat their cooks with the utmost respect and dignity...

As for just take a look at the map. Unfortunately, the map does not show that your neighbors are going to be having a party until 3:00 am or allow their drunken idiot guests to steal fire extinguishers and who knows what else. It also doesn't show how you will be treated unfairly by the Royal CEO and his head henchwoman BBQ Organizer.. Who has about as much of a clue about BBQ and what we do as we have knowledge about finger nail painting... Where all of a sudden it's the victim's fault and not the drunken idiots or the Royal for that matter to accept blame. I mean, it is our responsiblity as Invitational cooks to police our neighbors and to call them in to Barney Fife and his security crew...

We're qualified for the invitational, but have to chase down the information to actually attend as well.

Sad to say, I have not spoken to one person who's attended the Royal, who has said anything other than "I'll never go again".

Scottie
07-16-2008, 10:44 AM
Let me say one thing... Just to clarify...

I love the contest. I do not like the idiots that are in charge of the contest. They do not treat us cooks with any respect. They flat out told me that they could care less if my team didn't come back, as they will find more cancersuckschicago.com kind of teams.... I hate to tell them this, but the well for finding new teams willing to travel and spend thousands of dollars to come to their event is not endless...

I will not go back to this contest as long as the CEO and his BBQ Organizer are in charge.

Plowboy
07-16-2008, 10:48 AM
Let me say one thing... Just to clarify...

I love the contest. I do not like the idiots that are in charge of the contest. They do not treat us cooks with any respect. They flat out told me that they could care less if my team didn't come back, as they will find more cancersuckschicago.com kind of teams.... I hate to tell them this, but the well for finding new teams willing to travel and spend thousands of dollars to come to their event is not endless...

I will not go back to this contest as long as the CEO and his BBQ Organizer are in charge.

Can I have your spot? :wink:

Jorge
07-16-2008, 10:51 AM
We're qualified for the invitational, but have to chase down the information to actually attend as well.

Sad to say, I have not spoken to one person who's attended the Royal, who has said anything other than "I'll never go again".

Give me a call. I was with Ray last year, and I'll be there with Phil this year.

Are there issues? Absolutely. You can't put that many people in one place without having a few. There are also a lot of friends that I don't get to see often that will be there. If you have a bad day on Saturday, you get a shot at redemption on Sunday. The Jack may be the most exclusive contest in the world, but at the Royal you get the opportunity to take on anybody that's won a qualifier and is willing to show up. The next day you get to do it again with most of those teams, and around 400 more.

Your experience might not be the best if you choose to go. It's certain that you won't have a great time, if you don't go.

Jeff_in_KC
07-16-2008, 11:02 AM
I have to say this... After our first contest being the Royal Open in 2005, I was fully prepared never to return. Then I discovered in 2006 while helping the Mokan Meatheads prepare for their party and in 2007 when I got a chicken call with the Meatheads that places other than the dark side aren't so bad. Then I changed my mind and said I'd only cook it again when I earned a spot in the Invitational. Now that we have that invitation coming, I'm pumped to go back to do both contests. It will be a first for me doing two in one weekend and I'm a little nervous about my endurance. But we'll make do because the Royal Invitational and the Jack are the two events we ALL strive for every year. Having said that, I am always vigilant at any contest I go to. Once I determine I have neighbors who are partying, I've been known to report it to KCBS reps or contest officials when things get out of control or quiet hours are violated. I don't guess that's my job but if no one else is gonna do it, I might as well. I'm hoping we land a spot next to quiet folks. If not, we'll make the best of it, report violations of rules and thanks to Scottie's experience, we'll keep valuables secured at night and when we aren't at the site. I think I'll chain my Therma-Pen to my body for the weekend. I'm always concerned about someone walking by and seeing it! LOL!

Scottie
07-16-2008, 11:08 AM
Can I have your spot? :wink:

Sure, just get a 10 foot chain link fence for the back area... And I am not talking about where the Philly Pigs were either...

Alexa RnQ
07-16-2008, 11:11 AM
It will be a first for me doing two in one weekend and I'm a little nervous about my endurance.
You can do it! The good part about back-to-backs is that you're not dealing with the wear and tear from setup on the second day. The bad part is that when it's all over, the last thing you want to do is drag around packing up.

We did the three-day "Ironman" at Stagecoach this spring -- chili, salsa and wings on Friday, KCBS 4-meat on Saturday and again on Sunday. We learned that a) our minds haven't yet realized how old our bodies have gotten and b) we need roadies. Srsly.

But hey, if we survived, so will you!!

CajunSmoker
07-16-2008, 05:41 PM

Damn Scottie, you sound like some one stole your brisket or something:rolleyes:

drbbq
07-16-2008, 06:27 PM
There are a few people that have been treated pretty badly at The Jack as well. Let's not pretend that it's so great there. And if it rains the week of.................

And I've been going to the Royal for 15 years and will be back this year.

Ford
07-16-2008, 07:48 PM
We went to the Royal for 4 years - open only (2002 - 2005) and except for injury I would have been there doing both last year. It takes people as you always must have somebody watching things but it's a great time for all the reasons mentioned and we loved it. I miss the people I don't get to see but with the cost of things and closer contests and time off work I can cook 3 local (less than 300 miles) contests for the same money. More fun for me.

The Royal is not a normal BBQ contest. It's a huge party (think Animal House type fun) with a BBQ contest thrown in. Buy hay bales, setup fencing between you and your neighbors, park the RV on the line between you and always have somebody watching. If you are not prepared to do this then you might as well put up a "free" sign. If I lived in the KC area I would still be doing it every year for sure.

But like I said earlier, anybody can go to the Royal and you can cook the GAB or Royal Invitational and do the back to back thing to try it. The Jack may be a once in a lifetime for a lot of people. Think Dan Marino here. What if he chose not to go in his rookie year or was hurt and couldn't play? At the time no big deal, we'll be back but ........

Just Smokin' Around
07-16-2008, 08:43 PM
Sure, just get a 10 foot chain link fence for the back area... And I am not talking about where the Philly Pigs were either...

Scottie had a good spot last year - right next to a storm drain. So, it worked out well when it started raining on Sunday. We were a few spots up from him and heard the party behind him. It was unfortunate things worked out the way they did. Otherwise, a decent location.

Scottie
07-17-2008, 08:07 AM
You're right. It was an awesome location. But when I got it, I also didn't know there would be a 500 person party going on behind me until 3:00 am, using my fire extinguishers as fog machines.... Which is another thing that I think the Royal should disclose when giving out spots. That the idiots behind you are planning a huge party. Otherwise, this party was right in the heart of all of the Invitational teams.

and drbbq is right. The Jack is not all sunshine and roses... A lot of teams have been treated not so good there. I've been fortunate at the Jack for my treatment and have been real unfortunate with my treatment at the Royal. So I guess it's a wash...

I will also say that the Royal is a contest that all teams, if qualified for the Invite at leat, should experience at least once.... My problems are with the treatment that I received from the idiots in charge of the Royal. If I wasn't treated so bad by the CEO when I was trying to recover my stolen property, I would of went back this year. But I became the bad guy in their eyes. So fark 'em. Find another team.

Rub
07-17-2008, 11:13 PM
When I first started these contests and learned about the AR Invitational, it became my annaul bbq goal to qualify. Now that I have finally qualified, I'm going! Just entered the Open online tonight. Gonna be a 2500+ mile R/T taking over 40 hours to drive, and that sucks. But I'm going damnit 8)
And my neighbors better be f'in quiet come bedtime, b/c I need my beauty sleep.:icon_sleepy

drbbq
07-18-2008, 08:20 AM
You'll be glad you did Rub. I do that drive most years and it sucks. But for some reason I do it again the next year. See you there!

Neal
07-18-2008, 10:28 AM
When I first started these contests and learned about the AR Invitational, it became my annaul bbq goal to qualify. Now that I have finally qualified, I'm going! Just entered the Open online tonight. Gonna be a 2500+ mile R/T taking over 40 hours to drive, and that sucks. But I'm going damnit 8)
And my neighbors better be f'in quiet come bedtime, b/c I need my beauty sleep.:icon_sleepy
Congrats on achieving your goal, Rub!
After reading all the bad things about the Royal, I think you'll be prepared and find that it really isn't as bad as it might sound sometimes. You can also learn from other people's experiences and make the proper adjustments.

We did a contest locally here in KC last year that has a bad a reputation. I was ready for the worst. I went in expecting all of this bad stuff to happen and we ended up having a pretty uneventful evening and doing well in the contest.

On the flip side, I have been to more contests that are small town, community supported events and have witnessed people walking through cook spaces, grabbing stuff that isn't theirs, drunks disturbing cooks...you name it.

Granted, maybe your guard is down at smaller contest - but it can happen anywhere on any weekend.

Solidkick
07-18-2008, 01:01 PM
I agree with Rub....it was a goal to cook the invitational.......we only live a couple of hours away from KC and never really had a desire to mix it up in the open.....

But we'll be there this year!

Rub.......as far as that beauty sleep goes.....well......I find a nap every chance I can get one helps.....

Rub
07-18-2008, 02:16 PM
Looking forward to seeing lots of you folks up there.
And thanks for the tip Solidkick :)

J Appledog
07-18-2008, 07:51 PM
I am looking forward to seeing you again, Rob!

Rub
07-19-2008, 11:22 AM
Same here Julie, it's been a long time.
Did the stickers make it yet?

J Appledog
07-19-2008, 01:42 PM
Don't know. We're "up north" (44:21:56.639N, 86:15:33.858W) for vacation - our mail is being held. I'm heading home Friday to do RAT duty at the Grand Rapids KCBS contest. Couldn't talk my husband into competing....