PDA

View Full Version : KCBS Contest Map Application

The Pickled Pig
07-14-2008, 03:22 PM
A few weeks ago Todd (Plowboy) suggested I create an interactive mapping application that visually depicts contest locations. A version of such an application is now available for anyone's use.

http://www.thepickledpig.com/ppapps/contesthub/contestmapper.cfm

The pushpins have info and links tied to them (i.e., results for prior contests). And you can use the legend to narrow the view to weekly.

Mod Note:

This map is no longer available.

Just Pulin' Pork
07-14-2008, 03:25 PM
Paul that is pretty freaking sweet! Nice job and thanks for sharing this info!

Scottie
07-14-2008, 03:32 PM
Very very cool.... That will save me a lot of time comparing where everything is...

Thanks Paul...

Sledneck
07-14-2008, 03:35 PM
Nice!!!!! You my friend have a gift!!!

Plowboy
07-14-2008, 03:41 PM
Shouldn't this say brought to you by Plowboys BBQ somewhere? :biggrin:

Good job bringing it to life, Paul. Are you going to run with some of the other ideas?

Historical results - See results from each contest by drilling in on the push pins

Personalized profiles - teams and judges can set their own schedules for the year. You can see where a team has been and where they are going.

This could turn into a social networking site where people start looking at the schedules of their friends and/or rivals. You can choose to go to or avoid a contest based on who is planning to be there.

KCBS REALLY should be considering these kinds of progressive ideas. But, like any government organization :wink:, private enterprise has to push innovation.

Smokin Gator
07-14-2008, 03:48 PM
That is pretty farkin sweet.

The Pickled Pig
07-14-2008, 03:59 PM
Shouldn't this say brought to you by Plowboys BBQ somewhere? :biggrin:

Good job bringing it to life, Paul. Are you going to run with some of the other ideas?

Historical results - See results from each contest by drilling in on the push pins

Personalized profiles - teams and judges can set their own schedules for the year. You can see where a team has been and where they are going.

This could turn into a social networking site where people start looking at the schedules of their friends and/or rivals. You can choose to go to or avoid a contest based on who is planning to be there.

Historical results are there. Click on any contest from July 6 or eariler and you should see a link for the results. Would you rather see the results emedded directly in the info window?

The profiles and networking stuff will come but that's a little more involved from a development standpoint. If folks like this type of format, I might get something up in time for the 09 season.

There's a lot of functionality that can be added to this application. Contest ratings and reviews, weather overlays, street level camera views of the contest sites, team maps, ranked team maps, rep maps, etc. Unfortunately, I'm a one man operation and I'm not very good or very fast and easily get distracted so it may take a while.:-P

Plowboy
07-14-2008, 04:02 PM
How about Grand, Reserve, and category winners in the window? That would be cool.

Pig Headed
07-14-2008, 05:55 PM
Very nice. Appreciate all the work that went into that.

tboneld
07-14-2008, 06:59 PM
I think it is awesome. If you did decide to enhance it, it would be interesting to show a year view.

Alexa RnQ
07-14-2008, 07:28 PM
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

I was JUST wishing for such a thing -- just the tool needed for deciding where to move next so as to be within a few hours' drive of a contest on any given weekend!

chinesebob
07-14-2008, 07:43 PM
Can we get the optimized for the iPhone? Nice App. Very well done.

StLouQue
07-14-2008, 07:44 PM
Unfortunately, I'm a one man operation and I'm not very good or very fast and easily get distracted so it may take a while.:-P

Psssh... take your time; you've already passed the KCBS in getting this far! Awesome work and concept, gentlemen.

MMA, are you taking notes?

ssbbqguy
07-14-2008, 08:03 PM
Nice job! as time goes on I see this only getting better, thanks, Steve.

The Pickled Pig
07-14-2008, 08:42 PM
I think it is awesome. If you did decide to enhance it, it would be interesting to show a year view.

Good suggestion...easily done.

http://www.thepickledpig.com/PPapps/contesthub/contestmapperyear.cfm

Ron_L
07-14-2008, 08:47 PM
Great job, Paul!

Since we're dreaming, how about some other suggestions...

1. Somehow indicate whether a comp is a State Championship or Jack qualifier
2. When (or if) you get to the point of personalization, is it possible to include distance and driving time from a team's home address?

Thanks for putting that together!

Plowboy
07-14-2008, 08:50 PM
Great job, Paul!

2. When (or if) you get to the point of personalization, is it possible to include distance and driving time from a team's home address?

Thanks for putting that together!

I don't think he'll be able to tell what is a Jack Qualifier. You don't have to be a State Championship to be a Jack Qualifier. Nor are all State Championships Jack qualifiers.

The Pickled Pig
07-14-2008, 09:07 PM

As Todd guessed, I don't have the Jack information would need to find a reasonable way to get it. KCBS does publish State Championship status but I haven't been collecting it since I didn't realize I might actually want to use it until this very moment.:cry: This may be a feature I add on a forward looking basis rather updating past records.

Absolutely. At least to an extent. I don't have the actual contest addresses, just the cities. As a result, the geocoding is only done to the city level but it can still provide approximate mileage, drive time, and directions from a known starting point. This can be automated once personalized but I think I can at least add a link for the time being. I'll work on it later this week.

The API is pretty flexible and chances are, if we can think of it, it can be done. I just need an idea and a data source.

Irrad8
07-14-2008, 09:27 PM
That is fantastic! Thank you!

KC_Bobby
07-14-2008, 09:50 PM
Good stuff

FireAnts
07-14-2008, 09:53 PM
Awesome! It's quick and easy to navigate. I also like the ability to see the previous years results when you're checking out the current year. But I don't see a way to see last years results for contests that didn't happen yet this year.

Ron_L
07-14-2008, 09:58 PM
I don't think he'll be able to tell what is a Jack Qualifier. You don't have to be a State Championship to be a Jack Qualifier. Nor are all State Championships Jack qualifiers.

That's why I added "somehow" :rolleyes:

I don't have the actual contest addresses, just the cities. As a result, the geocoding is only done to the city level but it can still provide approximate mileage, drive time, and directions from a known starting point. This can be automated once personalized but I think I can at least add a link for the time being. I'll work on it later this week.

It doesn't have to be exact. It would be a help when planning out a schedule or deciding between two comps.

gman
07-14-2008, 11:18 PM
That is pretty farkin sweet.

Ditto... Cool... WOW!!

Thank you!!!

dhuffjr
07-14-2008, 11:20 PM
That is awesome. I just bookmarked it and look forward to the 2009 edition :-D

Vince RnQ
07-15-2008, 04:32 AM
That is really a fantastic application and one that will certainly make it easy for teams to plan. We've been real fans of your site and the rankings you've been doing and appreciate the way you are using technology to bring all of this data into forms that make it really easy to see and understand.

I have a suggestion for you but I don't know how feasible it would be to make happen. Regardless, here it is...

The Power Rankings are not necessarily the most accurate representation of which team is really "the best" at any given time. The reason I say this is because it is based on raw data and not on any kind of average. I'll give you an example of what I mean using baseball as a comparison.

Each year, Major League Baseball crowns a batting champion and that title is won by the player with the highest batting average. However, in order to qualify for the title, a player must have a minimum number of plate appearances. The reason there is a minimum plate appearances requirement is so that the batting champ isn't a guy with 50 appearances and a .375 average. As it stands right now at the All-Star break, the minimum number of plate appearances required for consideration is 295.

I propose that a more accurate way to Power Rank the teams would be take the number of points they have earned using the same method of calculating those points as you do right now but to then average those points by the number of events it took for the team to earn them. Teams would then be ranked according to their average but only those teams with a minimum number of events completed would qualify. (The number of events completed would be the counterpart to plate appearances in the batting average example.)

The reason I think this is a more accurate method for ranking is because the average would serve to level the playing field for teams that do not have the geographic advantage of being in an area where contests are available to them almost every weekend of the season. It would also take into account the times that a team has competed in an event and not finished in the Top 10 in any category or in the Overall rankings. The average would be based on all the events a team has entered and not just the ones in which points were earned.

This is my suggestion.

MoKanMeathead
07-15-2008, 08:10 AM
Very cool application Paul.

Thank You!!

Jaybird
07-15-2008, 08:45 AM
That is really a fantastic application and one that will certainly make it easy for teams to plan. We've been real fans of your site and the rankings you've been doing and appreciate the way you are using technology to bring all of this data into forms that make it really easy to see and understand.

I have a suggestion for you but I don't know how feasible it would be to make happen. Regardless, here it is...

The Power Rankings are not necessarily the most accurate representation of which team is really "the best" at any given time. The reason I say this is because it is based on raw data and not on any kind of average. I'll give you an example of what I mean using baseball as a comparison.

Each year, Major League Baseball crowns a batting champion and that title is won by the player with the highest batting average. However, in order to qualify for the title, a player must have a minimum number of plate appearances. The reason there is a minimum plate appearances requirement is so that the batting champ isn't a guy with 50 appearances and a .375 average. As it stands right now at the All-Star break, the minimum number of plate appearances required for consideration is 295.

I propose that a more accurate way to Power Rank the teams would be take the number of points they have earned using the same method of calculating those points as you do right now but to then average those points by the number of events it took for the team to earn them. Teams would then be ranked according to their average but only those teams with a minimum number of events completed would qualify. (The number of events completed would be the counterpart to plate appearances in the batting average example.)

The reason I think this is a more accurate method for ranking is because the average would serve to level the playing field for teams that do not have the geographic advantage of being in an area where contests are available to them almost every weekend of the season. It would also take into account the times that a team has competed in an event and not finished in the Top 10 in any category or in the Overall rankings. The average would be based on all the events a team has entered and not just the ones in which points were earned.

This is my suggestion.

That's why I never did pay too much attention to the rankings. Some of these guys do 30-40 comps a year. So they could have a bad year and still beat someone who had a fantastic year with only 12 comps in. I like the 'average' angle...it sort of puts everything in perspective.

Divemaster
07-15-2008, 09:31 AM
Nice!!!!! You my friend have a gift!!!

All I can say is DAMN!!!! Thank you!!!!!!!!!

tonto1117
07-15-2008, 09:43 AM
Wow!! Very cool!! :cool:Thanks Paul...your site rocks and just keeps on getting better and better!!! Thanks!

butts a fire
07-15-2008, 12:29 PM
Very cool I love the map it will make things easier for a lot of teams.

The Pickled Pig
07-15-2008, 02:54 PM
How about Grand, Reserve, and category winners in the window? That would be cool.

Done. There are now links to drill down on those teams as well as get full contest results.

Plowboy
07-15-2008, 02:55 PM
Done. There are now links to drill down on those teams as well as get full contest results.

You = Da Man

Paola Greg
07-15-2008, 03:42 PM
Well Paul, what you have done and are doing is amazing, and appreciated.

You know, in April I contacted the KCBS Board and inquired as to when they would have the current team rankings posted. I was answered in an email on May 28th that the issue was addressed at the May meeting and they would hopefully be posted before the next meeting on June 11th. On July 3rd I asked about the status again, and was informed it was taking longer than expected and hopefully they would be posted by the end of July.

Sorry I got a bit off topic here talking about the rankings instead of the map,,,,,but still, like I said, what you have done and are doing is appreciated.

The Pickled Pig
07-15-2008, 04:20 PM
Awesome! It's quick and easy to navigate. I also like the ability to see the previous years results when you're checking out the current year. But I don't see a way to see last years results for contests that didn't happen yet this year.

I didn't see a lot of need to include a previous year's map on the site. That data is actually available under the "Contest Results" section of the site.

That being said. Here are is a way to see it on the map:

1) Change the month identifier in the URL below (i.e., change "10" to "9" to see September 2007 results). My db only goes back to Jan. 1 of 2007 so that is a hard limitation.

http://www.thepickledpig.com/PPapps/contesthub/contestmapper.cfm?Month=10&Year=2007

If enough want this capability I can add a way to navigate to prior years.

smoke-n-my-i's
07-15-2008, 07:33 PM
That is awesome. Thanks for all the work.

On the driving distance etc. I use my spreadsheet program, and have listed all the places that I go to or want to go to. I have an old version of the Rand McNally road atlas program that I have tweaked the driving speeds, gas mileage etc., and it is real close for my driving and it always come real close to actual driving distance. I plug that info in, and then just enter the data into my spreadsheet. Once I have the driving distance, etc., I can adjust the gas price, and it will tell me how much I will spend on gas. I suppose one could use any of the on-line map programs to get the info as well.

FireAnts
07-16-2008, 11:28 PM
I didn't see a lot of need to include a previous year's map on the site. That data is actually available under the "Contest Results" section of the site.

That being said. Here are is a way to see it on the map:

1) Change the month identifier in the URL below (i.e., change "10" to "9" to see September 2007 results). My db only goes back to Jan. 1 of 2007 so that is a hard limitation.

http://www.thepickledpig.com/PPapps/contesthub/contestmapper.cfm?Month=10&Year=2007

If enough want this capability I can add a way to navigate to prior years.
Thanks, that works for me.

BanditBBQ
07-17-2008, 08:53 AM
Awesome application! Thanks for your talent and time!

Carpe 'Que,
Jim Rhino

Rub
07-17-2008, 11:33 PM
Sa-weeet! Thanks for your efforts!!

VGuilford
07-18-2008, 10:51 AM
very nice

Plowboy
07-24-2008, 09:32 AM
Paul, how about showing contests by state. Like 2008 Missouri contests all on one Missouri map. I guess you could just show all contests on one map and then a person could zoom in to the state they wanted to see.

Also, how about moving all of your text below the map. Makes for better usability once the map redraws. The user doesn't have to scroll as much.

Keep going... you are on a roll.

VGuilford
07-24-2008, 12:56 PM
Hey Mods can we make this a sticky?

The Pickled Pig
07-24-2008, 01:48 PM
Paul, how about showing contests by state. Like 2008 Missouri contests all on one Missouri map. I guess you could just show all contests on one map and then a person could zoom in to the state they wanted to see.

Maybe you could tell me a little more how you would use such a view. What good would it do to see all of the contests in MO in a year unless they were also broken down by date? Or do you just want to see a graphical plotting of the dispersion of contests?

I am going to add a button so you can view the entire year at once but the pushpins won't be color-coded. I suppose I could add a drop down list of states that would refocus the map and zoom in on the selected state if it would be helpful.

Also, how about moving all of your text below the map. Makes for better usability once the map redraws. The user doesn't have to scroll as much.

Done. There is still some scrolling involved and I hope users take the time to look below the map for controls. If wanted, I could make the map smaller. That would further reduce scrolling.

Plowboy
07-24-2008, 02:04 PM
Maybe you could tell me a little more how you would use such a view. What good would it do to see all of the contests in MO in a year unless they were also broken down by date? Or do you just want to see a graphical plotting of the dispersion of contests?

Though not a definitive view since Jack Draws aren't specifically identified, you could look to see how many contests are in a given state for the year to understand your chances for a Jack draw. For example, I see a contest coming up in Idaho. Is that the only one? A year view of Idaho would answer that question. Not that I'm going to Idaho, but that's how I'd see it used. Wouldn't totally answer the Jack question, but could give you some context to drill in on.

We need to be on the KCBS Technology Committee. :wink:

Paola Greg
07-24-2008, 02:14 PM
We need to be on the KCBS Technology Committee. :wink:

Correct!!!!!!!!!

parrothead
07-24-2008, 02:49 PM
The web site you are accessing has experienced an unexpected error.
Please contact the website administrator.

The Pickled Pig
07-24-2008, 03:46 PM
Server hiccup...fixed now.

parrothead
07-24-2008, 06:37 PM
Very nice. I will sticky this for easy finding and comment making. Lots of good ideas coming out of here so far.

The Pickled Pig
07-26-2008, 07:46 PM

There is a "View by Year" feature on the map now. Once selected, you can narrow the view by state. I color coded the push-pins for past and future contests in this view and added a few navigational features.

The Pickled Pig
08-10-2008, 11:24 AM

I have added an interactive straight line distance calculator to the map. You can double click to add start and end points to get the straight line distance between the two points. You can also drag and drop the points once created to calculate new distances easily.

Straight line distance will be less than actual driving distance but this should give you a fair estimation of the travel involved.

Mileage and instructions are now located on the right side of the map.

Plowboy
08-10-2008, 11:30 AM
I have added an interactive straight line distance calculator to the map. You can double click to add start and end points to get the straight line distance between the two points. You can also drag and drop the points once created to calculate new distances easily.

Straight line distance will be less than actual driving distance but this should give you a fair estimation of the travel involved.

Mileage and instructions are now located on the right side of the map.

Nice, Paul. I love this thing. I use it a lot. Never have to go to the KCBS Web site. :wink:

The Pickled Pig
08-26-2008, 08:14 PM
Another Plowboy special...

I added another interactive map application that shows the locations of a user selected team's Top 10 hits. It's kind of cool to see where certain teams are concentrating their wins. Thanks again to Plowboy for coming up with the idea.:eusa_clap

KCBS Team Awards Map (http://www.thepickledpig.com/PPapps/contesthub/awardsmap.cfm)

Plowboy
08-26-2008, 08:23 PM
Looks great. Next up... Awards Map Widget! :wink:

Someone should be talking to KCBS about resolving their TOY tracking issues. :rolleyes:

Cheech
08-31-2008, 08:21 AM
Awesome job thanks for all the hard work. I work with some programmers and know that it is not always that easy. Kind of like when some one says hey how about we have you whip up a batch of pulled pork or brisket. they have no concept of the prep and time it takes to do such a thing.

Thanks for your time and use of your talent.

daddywoofdawg
09-19-2008, 09:04 AM
Good work,Now maybe KCBS can do this on there website too.I'm hoping to see this with next years dates on it so a team can plan there life.and for year distance calc and a spot where you could addyour zip to see distance to a contest instead just from one contest to another as i understand this works now.

QueTPiesBBQ
09-25-2008, 02:54 PM
That is one sweet application. Really appreciate all the work that went into it.

Chris Green
QueTPies BBQ Team
Lang Mobile 60

The Pickled Pig
11-13-2008, 10:22 PM
Looks great. Next up... Awards Map Widget! :wink:

Someone should be talking to KCBS about resolving their TOY tracking issues. :rolleyes:

All you had to do was ask...and wait 3 months.:lol:

New Awards Map Widget available (http://www.thepickledpig.com/PPapps/contesthub/w2gen.cfm) for those teams with a Top 10 overall finish since 1/1/08.

Below is a static image of the new widget. The actual widget is fully interactive and can be customized to match other design profiles.

http://www.thepickledpig.com/ppforumimages/widget2.JPG

It's bigger than a traditional widget (380px x 280px) so it might not work for some layouts.

Alexa RnQ
11-13-2008, 10:40 PM
Hot DAMN!!! I've got ours placed on our home page -- thanks, Paul! That is just such an insanely cool application.

NotleyQue
11-14-2008, 12:15 AM
Hey thanks for that. Its pretty cool.

ThomEmery
11-14-2008, 07:52 AM
A few weeks ago Todd (Plowboy) suggested I create an interactive mapping application that visually depicts contest locations. A version of such an application is now available for anyone's use.

The pushpins have info and links tied to them (i.e., results for prior contests). And you can use the legend to narrow the view to weekly.

Could we have one of these for future contests?
Do you need a sponsor?

Spydermike72
11-14-2008, 08:17 AM
I just came across this post, this so farking cool!! Paul you are the man!! Thanks for the hard work!!

Scottie
11-14-2008, 11:05 AM
Once again Paul. Outstanding!!! I'm going to print this up on some nice paper and frame it. Never really realized now much area I covered... :shock:

Plowboy
11-15-2008, 12:07 AM
Nice job, Paul. Sorry I haven't gotten back to you on this. I've been swamped with work, trying to find a new job, and life with the family.

Per usual, very impressive. I'll have to start thinking about what I want next. Ha!!

The Pickled Pig
01-04-2009, 12:24 AM
Great job, Paul!

A red State Championship indicator now appears just below the name of the contest when applicable.

If anyone knows where a list of Jack quailifiers is available I can add that too.

Merl
01-04-2009, 04:11 AM
A red State Championship indicator now appears just below the name of the contest when applicable.

If anyone knows where a list of Jack quailifiers is available I can add that too.

Paul you have to talk to the Jack or a psychic. Seems like it was a moving target last year. Look at Utah.
Merl

Brauma
01-14-2009, 09:38 AM
Very nice. Thanks

Suzy Que
02-02-2009, 04:16 AM
Wow...awesome! You definitely have surpassed the KCBS site! Great job and thanks for sharing!...oh, and thanks for adding our first year contest in May in Edwardsville, Illinois...It was a nice surprise to see it there! You rock!

Suzy Que

Bob
04-27-2009, 02:20 PM

Here's another event you can add:

The City of Bedford TX is having a Labor Day BBQ cook-off with $10,000 in prize money. The event is sanctioned by the KCBS. Enter at http://www.bedfordbluesbbq.com (http://www.bedfordbluesbbq.com/)

The Pickled Pig
04-27-2009, 09:19 PM
Here's another event you can add:

The City of Bedford TX is having a Labor Day BBQ cook-off with $10,000 in prize money. The event is sanctioned by the KCBS. Enter at http://www.bedfordbluesbbq.com (http://www.bedfordbluesbbq.com/)

That event already appears on the map Bob. From where was it missing?

JD McGee
05-03-2009, 09:45 PM
That's an awesome map bro...thanks for putting it together. :-P The only thing wrong with it is that there are NONE in Washington State...:mad: What the fark is up with that! :icon_sad

drewc
05-05-2009, 10:55 AM
That is SWEEEET!!!!

Laurel Pollard
05-11-2009, 03:02 PM
Thanks so much for listing Mainely Grillin' and Chillin'! We really appreciate it!!

PappaBear0660
05-21-2009, 09:19 AM
That Mapping Application is pretty Nice Guess I will be DRiving to Boulder City to check out that Comp. I was at the OC Fair grounds in Costa Mesa.. It was Nice.. But Thanks for the Map..

juicybuttsbbq
07-21-2009, 06:13 AM

Paul
Atta Boy!!! Ribs To You!!!

where does one suggest an entry to be added?,, Here I hope.
Could you please add the follow KCBS event:
The Hoosier Daddy State Championship, New Albany IN Oct 9 & 10th 2009
www.hoosierdaddybbq.com

Thanks
Porkchop

Midwest BBQ & Blues
07-25-2009, 11:44 AM
Is there a way to get the Midwest BBQ & Blues Throwdown listed, it is a KCBS sanctioned contest as well as a certified State Championship Event?

Thanks

The Pickled Pig
07-25-2009, 11:55 AM
Is there a way to get the Midwest BBQ & Blues Throwdown listed, it is a KCBS sanctioned contest as well as a certified State Championship Event?

Thanks

It is listed.

Redheart
09-26-2009, 08:48 AM
This is the coolest or should I say 'que'est app. When does the mobile version come out?

Jay Bird
11-03-2009, 04:35 PM
Fantastic app.. Good job! Just waiting for one of those pins to show up near the Seattle area.

lbmksu
04-20-2010, 10:33 AM
This is a sweet app. Thank you.

Navchop
06-07-2010, 10:30 AM
I love this app. Any idea when July and later will come out?

The Pickled Pig
06-07-2010, 09:54 PM
I love this app. Any idea when July and later will come out?

I should have the rest of the year up by June 20th.

lbmksu
06-18-2010, 11:43 AM
Why is the Great Lenexa BBQ Battle, June 25, 2010 not posted?

The Pickled Pig
06-20-2010, 02:51 PM
I should have the rest of the year up by June 20th.

Done. The application has been updated to include all remaining 2010 contests.

Why is the Great Lenexa BBQ Battle, June 25, 2010 not posted?

It is now. The Lenexa contest was not on the KCBS schedule the last time the application was updated.

rescue_ranger
09-09-2010, 06:34 AM
Paul the interactive map is killer....Thanks:clap2:

LargoMike
05-14-2011, 11:01 AM
No Florida Competitions?

ParkAvenue_2
05-20-2011, 10:07 AM
Mike -

Most of the Florida comps can be viewed at this link (http://www.flbbq.org/contest.htm#year2011)

No Florida Competitions?

Smoke Ring
08-01-2011, 10:56 AM
We have a searchable contest calendar that lists all contests in the country including all sanctioning organizations. We recently added a map feature.

http://www.thesmokering.com/index.php?option=com_webring&controller=calendar&Itemid=17

Garry