PDA

View Full Version : 2009 KCBS Banquet going to Nashville

Plowboy
07-09-2008, 11:07 PM
Check out the story...

http://www.kcbs.us/news.php?id=77

MilitantSquatter
07-09-2008, 11:10 PM
So, will attendance likely be higher, lower or about the same ?

Jeff_in_KC
07-09-2008, 11:13 PM
Lower. I'm out.

Just Pulin' Pork
07-09-2008, 11:27 PM
This will be driven by attendance. KC is a more central location for alot of members. This will turn into the Big 12 tourney. Highest attendence will be in KC. If they have it in other cities thats fine but I hope they keep it coming back to KC at least every other year.

CivilWarBBQ
07-10-2008, 12:01 AM
It's about time.

No offense to you midwest guys, but if KCBS is serious about giving more than lip service to the idea of being a national organization they need to make the major events more accessible to everyone. Yes, the highest concentration of members is still within a few hundred miles of Kansas City, but the majority of the membership lives outside that zone.

I think moving the banquet around the country is a great concept, perhaps returning "home" to KC every 2-3 years. The people who are willing to fly in can easily access any city with a good airport so they'll come regardless, as will the retirees and handful of road warrior teams that follow the circuit fulltime. Then there will be a bunch of folks who are dedicated cooks that have never attended a banquet before because they can't make the trip to KC.

I don't know if total attendance will be higher or lower than in the past, but it will certainly bring a lot of members into contact with the leadership face-to-face for the first time, and that is a very good thing, IMHO.

ZBQ
07-10-2008, 12:05 AM
Personally, I think this is really nice.
Being from Ohio, I can basically skip half of the Bullsheet because it all revolves
around one general area. You guys in the KC area are spoiled because you basically
have the choice of at least 3 or 4 comps within easy driving distance on any one
given weekend during the summer. In Ohio, I have to think about driving quite a
distance to a comp. We are luckily getting some comps going here in Ohio.
I believe we have 3 sanctioned comps now.

So I think it's a wonderful idea to move the banquet around because
contrary to some peoples belief, there is BBQ outside of KC.

ZBQ
07-10-2008, 12:08 AM
It's about time.

Then there will be a bunch of folks who are dedicated cooks that have never attended a banquet before because they can't make the trip to KC.

I don't know if total attendance will be higher or lower than in the past, but it will certainly bring a lot of members into contact with the leadership face-to-face for the first time, and that is a very good thing, IMHO.

My thinking exactly.

Plowboy
07-10-2008, 03:43 AM
I think it is a great thing. If this is going to be a national organization, then getting closer to members is good. Also getting members in touch with each other is good.

On a totally seperate note, we here in the KC region have lost our "LOCAL" society. I'm all for KCBS going national, but a lot of you have local societies as well. NEBS has an organization, a chase for NEBS-TOY, NEBS banquet, etc. I've talked to a few folks around here about a MOKAN BBQ Society to support the local needs that won't be met by KCBS now that it is focused on a national organization.

Merl
07-10-2008, 06:47 AM
The motion we passed provides for the banquet to be in the KC area every other year and a regional site the other year. I think this will be an opportunity for regional bbq associations to partner with KCBS to showcase their association and their city, and bring the banquet to their area. This is an exciting project.
Merl

Big Mike
07-10-2008, 07:26 AM
I think this is a great idea. I know for me here in Ohio, Nashville is 1/2 the distance of KC.

ThomEmery
07-10-2008, 07:46 AM
2011 Vegas

Podge
07-10-2008, 08:46 AM
Lower. I'm out.

why ?

Scottie
07-10-2008, 09:04 AM
I like the rotation. But on a side note, I think that the first year outside of KC should of went to a "neutral" site... Like Vegas or someplace warm... I would not of had the first banquet outside of KC in Nashville.

Just my thoughts...

Scottie
07-10-2008, 09:05 AM
why ?

Not picking on Jeff, but I foresee a lot of people thinking that way...

Sledneck
07-10-2008, 09:13 AM
2011 NYC at the waldorf astoria just like NASCAR does!!!!

Jorge
07-10-2008, 09:50 AM
I think it's a given that attendance will be higher in KC, simply based on the number of members that live in the area. I think it's also fair to recognize that members from outside of the area have born the expense of travel annually.

I think the Board has found a reasonable compromise. As long as the location selected is easy to get in and out of, and has reasonable lodging and car rental rates it should be fair for all (Sorry Sled, that tends to rule out the Waldorf).

Living in DFW I don't expect the banquet to come here anytime soon, but promise to organize a Snipe hunt that none of you will ever forget if it does:wink:

Sledneck
07-10-2008, 09:53 AM
I think it's a given that attendance will be higher in KC, simply based on the number of members that live in the area. I think it's also fair to recognize that members from outside of the area have born the expense of travel annually.

I think the Board has found a reasonable compromise. As long as the location selected is easy to get in and out of, and has reasonable lodging and car rental rates it should be fair for all (Sorry Sled, that tends to rule out the Waldorf).

Living in DFW I don't expect the banquet to come here anytime soon, but promise to organize a Snipe hunt that none of you will ever forget if it does:wink:
We have Econo Lodge out here as well:biggrin:

ZBQ
07-10-2008, 10:04 AM
Not picking on Jeff, but I foresee a lot of people thinking that way...

Hopefully, the people that you are talking about will be replaced with the ones who never had a chance to go before.

Scottie
07-10-2008, 10:15 AM
I'll be there. That's all I care about. I will have to do a little research on Nashville though. Find all the good spots... :roll:

Divemaster
07-10-2008, 10:21 AM
To be honest, I'm most likely won't go to Nashville but that is only because I have family in KC (cheap lodging mod)...

I do think it's a great thing to move it around every other year and while the attendance may not be as high, many of us may not feel as much like outsiders... I rarely read the Bullsheet because most of it is based on KC stuff... With the price of gas, I'm looking local...

Roo-B-Q'N
07-10-2008, 10:39 AM
I think it is a great thing. If this is going to be a national organization, then getting closer to members is good. Also getting members in touch with each other is good.

On a totally seperate note, we here in the KC region have lost our "LOCAL" society. I'm all for KCBS going national, but a lot of you have local societies as well. NEBS has an organization, a chase for NEBS-TOY, NEBS banquet, etc. I've talked to a few folks around here about a MOKAN BBQ Society to support the local needs that won't be met by KCBS now that it is focused on a national organization.

I was just thinking the same thing Todd, YOUR BBQ Society has gone national and does not appear to want to support the local community as does NEBS and Great Lakes and the others, perhaps it is time to start a local organization to pick up where the national organization leaves off.

Just my 2 cents, while I don't really care where they hold their banquet I equate this to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inducting their members outside of Cleveland.

butts a fire
07-10-2008, 12:42 PM
I for one think it is a great idea to move it around there are sanctioned contests and member through out the country and as was stated in the notes from the board meeting they would be taking it to places that have high concentrations of members, which is probably why Nashville was chosen. I am in full support of this action by the Board even if it means I only go to the banquet every other year.

Todd I think your idea for a local bbq society is great, if it were to ever get rolling I would be first in line to sign up.

smknwhlswife
07-10-2008, 04:23 PM
I also think that it is a great idea that it travel around.

However, I will be on the list of people not going.....which sucks because I had a great time last year. With 2 young kids and being right after Christmas break, I don't think I will be able to talk my MIL into watching them. I would bet Andy would try and make it though.

bcis93
07-10-2008, 05:16 PM
I'm your Huckelberry! I have lived in Nastyville since 1979. Let me know what you need and I can make it happen. All kidding aside. Nashville is a great city for an event of this caliber. Yes we can debate are there better locations sure there are but the fact is we can't change that so lets make the best of it. I personally am looking forward to meeting some of you guys and hanging out. If you need any advice on where to stay, eat, drink, visit, entertainment, just let me know. I will be happy to help and show you our fine BBQ FRIENDLY City!

CivilWarBBQ
07-10-2008, 05:41 PM

That's an interesting thought. I've always believed that KCBS should make an effort to provide regional representation for the membership. Since the precedent is being set by KCBS partnering with MBN, perhaps this concept could be expanded to bring FBA, NEBS, etc into closer cooperation with KCBS. The alternative would be to establish new regional groups within KCBS.

Either way, it would help give "outside of KC" members more of a voice then we have now and increase our opportunities to participate in the organization.

Jeff_in_KC
07-10-2008, 07:03 PM
why ?

Why lower or why am I out?

As for the lower part, I think there are numerous reasons why. First of all, a lot of people who do travel like to travel to the KC area for the banquet simply because it's in the Mecca of BBQ. Many folks sample the famous KC BBQ joints they otherwise wouldn't get to sample. Secondly, the simple fact that there's a concentration of KCBS folks around Missouri and Kansas means there are more people to attend without traveling. As an example, how many KCBS members are there in Nashville? I'd guess not nearly as many as in the KC area. So right off the bat, you have to hope a lot of people will travel. With the price of travel going up in addition, I'm just guessing fewer will actually make the trip.

As for why I'm out, I can't afford to take vacation time right out of the gate for the year in January. Also, January is typically the tightest month for us (holiday expenses just past and personal property taxes being due December 31). I'm just guessing here but adding two round trip flights and a rental car won't make the cut when it comes to our budget.

Merl
07-10-2008, 10:10 PM
The Board did not vote to partner with MBN. The finance committee recomended that MBN not come under the KCBS umbrella. KCBS has no stake ownership in MBN. KCBS has agreed to provide primarily accounting services for MBN on a year by year agreement. The Board rejected the the concept of MBNcomming under the auspices of KCBS.

Merl

Merl
07-10-2008, 10:12 PM

As for the lower part, I think there are numerous reasons why. First of all, a lot of people who do travel like to travel to the KC area for the banquet simply because it's in the Mecca of BBQ. Many folks sample the famous KC BBQ joints they otherwise wouldn't get to sample. Secondly, the simple fact that there's a concentration of KCBS folks around Missouri and Kansas means there are more people to attend without traveling. As an example, how many KCBS members are there in Nashville? I'd guess not nearly as many as in the KC area. So right off the bat, you have to hope a lot of people will travel. With the price of travel going up in addition, I'm just guessing fewer will actually make the trip.

As for why I'm out, I can't afford to take vacation time right out of the gate for the year in January. Also, January is typically the tightest month for us (holiday expenses just past and personal property taxes being due December 31). I'm just guessing here but adding two round trip flights and a rental car won't make the cut when it comes to our budget.

Jeff, I will pick you up at the airport. See no rental car. What are friends for.
Merl

Just Pulin' Pork
07-10-2008, 11:14 PM

Well said Jeff!

Podge
07-11-2008, 08:46 AM

You make some valid points about being in KC and getting to eat BBQ from a joint, only to come back home, wishing the places around my town tasted as good !.. I live in northern Ky. so the drive to nashville for me will be about 150 miles. this will be a nice change since the past couple of years i had to deal with flights, and rental car. I also know that it may help the growth of BBQ in the state of Ky. since I know there'd be teams and intrest who may come to Nashville's banquet.

Times are tough for a lot of people, and even if they'd still had the banquet in KC for 2008, I'd see that attendance drop too. I reckon I miss-understood your original post and i thought i read some resentment, but now i see that's not the case.

GridironGriller
07-11-2008, 10:47 AM
How much does the banquet usually cost?

Spydermike72
07-11-2008, 10:57 AM
I think this is a great idea!! I may actually be able to make it to Nashville. As President of the GLBBQA I would like to throw our name into the hat to host the banquet one day!!

Hey we have had the Super Bowl in Michigan in the winter why not a BBQ Banquet ??

BBQ Grail
07-11-2008, 11:05 AM
Moving the banquet around to new locations every other year will increase membership overall in the society. When the banquet is held, publicity will attract new members.

Over time, more members will result in more people interested in real bbq
More people interested in real bbq will result in more people interested in comps
More people interested in comps will result in more comps.
More comps will increase membership in local/state BBQ Associations

Seems like a good idea to me...

BBQ Grail
07-11-2008, 11:07 AM
PS:

It will also mean more people in California will invest huge bucks in new high end smokers that they will quickly get tired of and want to sell cheap on Craigslist.

I'm good with that...

CivilWarBBQ
07-11-2008, 11:08 AM
That's the first I've heard of this. It seems like the opportunity to merge the two most prestigious national sanctioning bodies would have been a terrific move, bringing the whole hog folks into the KCBS world. Why did the board vote against it?

Jorge
07-11-2008, 11:16 AM
That's the first I've heard of this. It seems like the opportunity to merge the two most prestigious national sanctioning bodies would have been a terrific move, bringing the whole hog folks into the KCBS world. Why did the board vote against it?

I'd post that here: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=51

Jeff_in_KC
07-13-2008, 02:11 PM
I reckon I miss-understood your original post and i thought i read some resentment, but now i see that's not the case.

Honestly, I was a bit disappointed in it because we look forward to it so much every year but I understand the decision from a national perspective. But no, there wasn't resentment. Actually, I was very brief because I had to run and didn't have time to explain why I thought it would hurt attendance. Probably should have waited to post. :lol:

Plowboy
07-13-2008, 05:08 PM

I gotta disagree with you on this, Jeff. Every point you made for why to have the banquet in KC is true from an attendance perspective in 2009. This is a tactical move for a strategic direction. The goal is to grow KCBS nationally. To do that, some things have to decouple things from KC in order to attract new contests, members, and BBQ enthusiasts.

We are privileged here in KC. We have two of the largest contests in the country with two of the most prestigious invitationals in BBQ: AMR and GAB. We have the banquet, organizers meetings, board meetings, rep meetings, and rules meetings.

I just drove 900 miles to a contest in Shannon, IL and spent $450 to do it. During the trip, I thought about all of the miles that folks put on throughout the year to be a part of what we do. The more we grow competition BBQ, the more opportunities we all have.

Now if we had a local MoKan society, there could still be an opportunity to get together with friends and celebrate the BBQ year that was during the off years when the KCBS banquet is in another city.

EarlyBird
07-13-2008, 07:21 PM
Now if we had a local MoKan society, there could still be an opportunity to get together with friends and celebrate the BBQ year that was during the off years when the KCBS banquet is in another city.

I think this would be an awesome idea.

Chris

ThomEmery
07-13-2008, 08:15 PM
The local organization has served us well out here
Just because you are there near the national HQ
does not mean you don't need the local also

Jeff_in_KC
07-13-2008, 09:43 PM

That's been discussed this past weekend in Warrensburg. I think Craig and Gary were kicking around the idea of something for Kookers Kare.

HoDeDo
07-14-2008, 11:01 PM
That's been discussed this past weekend in Warrensburg. I think Craig and Gary were kicking around the idea of something for Kookers Kare.

I'm thinking it would be very easy to expand local togetherness via that organization.