PDA

View Full Version : Please judge our Brisket Box also

Sawdustguy
07-06-2008, 07:32 PM
Please judge our Brisket Box for presentation.

http://www.2fatpolocksbbq.com/webimages/brisket_entry.jpg

MilitantSquatter
07-06-2008, 07:36 PM
Definite 9 from me if it looks as good in person as the pictures show.

I'd be shocked if you got anything below an 8.

Sawdustguy
07-06-2008, 07:39 PM
Real marks to follow.

Big Mike
07-06-2008, 07:40 PM
At a contest not being able to study it I would give it a 9. Studying it I would give it a solid 8. If you could give an 8.8 I would.

The only real comment I have is on the very front piece of brisket. I would smooth out the sauce on the face of the brisket so it is more uniform and remove the greenery off the face on the left side.

CajunSmoker
07-06-2008, 07:45 PM
I'm giving my score without looking at the other answers.

Nice looking slices, good color, good looking presentation and it makes me want to eat a piece.

Just Pulin' Pork
07-06-2008, 07:45 PM
I agree with Big Mike. Just that smudge cost you a 9 IMO. Looks great other then that!

Dustaway
07-06-2008, 08:07 PM
I agree with Big Mike. Just that smudge cost you a 9 IMO. Looks great other then that!

same comment here

Bbq Bubba
07-06-2008, 08:26 PM
8, and i definetly want to taste it!

CivilWarBBQ
07-06-2008, 08:53 PM
8 or 9. I'd have to see it live to decide which. Photos can be so deceiving. What in person is moist looking meat appears greasy in the picture, etc. You did well - a very solid entry.

Ron_L
07-06-2008, 09:11 PM
8 or 9, depending on how noticeable the smudge is in person. Also, the parsley covering the front slice may have caught my eye.

Caseyjoenz
07-06-2008, 09:23 PM
9 fo sho'

ZBQ
07-06-2008, 09:38 PM
Soild 8 possible 9 seeing it in person.

The Pickled Pig
07-06-2008, 10:28 PM
From the pics, maybe an 8. But it's hard to know what I'd notice about the crumbled left side in person. There is a chunk to the left of pieces 1 and 2, and 3 and 4 are crumbled on the left. It looks a bit overcooked on that side.

I do like the smoke ring, the shine, and the box.

Jeff_in_KC
07-06-2008, 11:18 PM
I agree with the comments in regards to the stray piece of greenery, the broken pieces on the left and the uneven sauce or whatever you used to make the slices appear wet. Also, from front to back, slices three and five appear to be out of line with the others if you look at the right side. Just making them more even there would help. I like to see burnt ends in there as well... seems to score better here. I'd probably give it an 8.

Q Haven
07-07-2008, 06:41 AM
A solid 8. Wouldn't be surprised if it got some 9s too.

BBQ_Mayor
07-07-2008, 06:58 AM
I'd go with an 8. Burn ends may help.

Sawdustguy
07-07-2008, 08:36 AM
Gents,

There was no streak, what you are seeing was camera glare. This box scored 9's across the board. This was our best presentation ever. Maybe it's me but I don't think we should be penalized for not putting burnt ends in the box. I thought you should judge the meat presented and not what is not in the box.

Slamdunkpro
07-07-2008, 08:44 AM
Solid 9

Sawdustguy
07-07-2008, 08:47 AM
Definite 9 from me if it looks as good in person as the pictures show.

I'd be shocked if you got anything below an 8.

Thanks Vinny. Michele is getting much better with presentation. She has come a long way since BBQ on the River.

Big Mike
07-07-2008, 10:06 AM
Gents,

There was no streak, what you are seeing was camera glare. This box scored 9's across the board. This was our best presentation ever. Maybe it's me but I don't think we should be penalized for not putting burnt ends in the box. I thought you should judge the meat presented and not what is not in the box.

Agreed, the lack of burnt ends should have no affect whatsoever on your score.

BBQ_Mayor
07-07-2008, 10:09 AM

That sounds like a topic for another post. :grin:

BBQ_MAFIA
07-07-2008, 10:16 AM
I'm not a judge.

I'm just a Fat Hungry guy.

That brisket looks outstanding!

Dale P
07-07-2008, 12:07 PM
Looks like about 8s to me, but 9s are trying to jump in.

Bigmista
07-07-2008, 12:08 PM
At a contest not being able to study it I would give it a 9. Studying it I would give it a solid 8. If you could give an 8.8 I would.

The only real comment I have is on the very front piece of brisket. I would smooth out the sauce on the face of the brisket so it is more uniform and remove the greenery off the face on the left side.

Ditto. Brush the sauce for 9. Otherwise it's beautiful.

CivilWarBBQ
07-07-2008, 01:45 PM
Absolutely.

A judge should never score based on what is NOT in the box. The mandate is to judge the entry as presented, not as you would have done it. (I love burnt ends too, but I'd never mark down for box of slices only)

Jorge
07-07-2008, 02:03 PM
I don't think Jeff was suggesting the box should score lower due to the lack of burnt ends. I think he was sharing some info based on what seems to work well, from his part of the country.

Congrats to Guy and Michelle ( and any other Polocks involved with putting that box together)!

Sawdustguy
07-07-2008, 03:20 PM
Thank you George.:-D

The_Kapn
07-07-2008, 04:25 PM
That is a really, really professional entry.
Looks tasty and great!
Should be 8+ or 9's (KCBS only) for sure.

Now, if we are competing with you, it is very dull and drab.
I think it needs some cherry tomatoes in each corner to make it more appealing and colorful! :smile:

TIM

bbqbull
07-07-2008, 04:47 PM
Not a trained judge here but I would give it a 9.

The parsley on the left side of the box seems to be a little lower in the center of that area.
The green on the front piece might hurt you a bit in presentation but its a darned fine looking turn in box for sure.
Congrats on the good looking brisket box, scoring 9's.
I assume just walking it to the judging turn in area could dislodge something.

SloppyQ
07-07-2008, 07:23 PM
Scratch and sniff mod didn't work this time so I'm only giving that entry an 8, now if I was in person I could probably see fit to give it a 9. Congrats on a fine entry, pics sometimes don't do it justice.

ique
07-07-2008, 08:07 PM
Gents,
Maybe it's me but I don't think we should be penalized for not putting burnt ends in the box.

No you should not be penalized. But I assume you posted to get some ideas on how to improve your appearance score. Now that box is perfectly put together, but I could see a judge thinking it looks a little plain and maybe giving an 8. Adding the burnt ends gives the extra WOW! factor.

Sawdustguy
07-07-2008, 08:52 PM
That is a nice compliment. Thank you Chris. We will try adding burnt ends.:-D

BBQ_Mayor
07-08-2008, 07:05 AM
That is a nice compliment. Thank you Chris. We will try adding burnt ends.:-D

If you got all 9's on that box, I don't think I would start added burnt ends. Keep on doing what your doing. It's working for you.

I think people around these parts want to see BE's but maybe not where your from.

YankeeBBQ
07-08-2008, 10:35 AM
9 looks great

Divemaster
07-08-2008, 02:25 PM
I agree with the comments in regards to the stray piece of greenery, the broken pieces on the left and the uneven sauce or whatever you used to make the slices appear wet. Also, from front to back, slices three and five appear to be out of line with the others if you look at the right side. Just making them more even there would help. I like to see burnt ends in there as well... seems to score better here. I'd probably give it an 8.

I have to agree with Jeff. The only thing that caught my eye right away was the lack of greenery on the front of the box (of course you could have covered it up with some burnt ends... I'M KIDDING!!!!)

I, for one, like how a box looks with burnt ends and unless mine are inedible, they are going to be in our boxes. I truly feel that it is my option to put them in just like it is yours not to and neither of us should be penalized on the appearance for not having them or for having them.

Big George's BBQ
07-08-2008, 02:56 PM
8 possibly a 9. Would like to see it up close. Looked really good