PDA

View Full Version : Kettering is FULL!

Rolling Smoke
07-02-2008, 11:15 AM
Unless something changes in the next couple of weeks, the Ohio Veteran Barbecue Cook-off in Kettering, Ohio scheduled for July 18 & 19 is full at 36 teams. Even though the website still shows 33 teams, I know of 3 entries that are on their way in so that puts us at max. If you are still interested in cooking our contest, PM me and I'll put you on a waiting list.

Thanks to all of you who are supporting our contest!

Podge
07-02-2008, 11:49 AM
I would think this is a record for number of teams in an Ohio contest !

Rolling Smoke
07-02-2008, 11:58 AM
I'm thinking you're right but short of pestering Steph, I don't know how to access that info.

Scottie
07-02-2008, 12:03 PM
You might need extra security to keep the ladies off of me and Podge... Ohio will never be the same...

Scottie

Bbq Bubba
07-02-2008, 12:11 PM
You might need extra security to keep the ladies off of me and Podge... Ohio will never be the same...

Scottie

I think i'm gonna puke.......:twisted:

Big Mike
07-02-2008, 12:17 PM

Scottie

Everyone knows I will be the sexy one there so yall don't have to worry.

Rolling Smoke
07-02-2008, 12:22 PM
Now I think I'm going to puke

Rolling Smoke
07-02-2008, 12:24 PM

Scottie

That costs extra Scottie so unless you're willing to pay it, I guess you're just going to have to suffer.:biggrin:

ZBQ
07-02-2008, 02:52 PM
WHEW!!!

Got in just under the wire!!

Looking forward to seeing everyone again!

I'm not sure if I can request this Jim, but I would like a grass site.
Will we be able to pull our trailer units into the grass area through the same
place we did last year?

Big Mike
07-02-2008, 03:09 PM
Glad you're gonna make it Z.

Rolling Smoke
07-02-2008, 03:58 PM
WHEW!!!

Got in just under the wire!!

Looking forward to seeing everyone again!

I'm not sure if I can request this Jim, but I would like a grass site.
Will we be able to pull our trailer units into the grass area through the same
place we did last year?

We've got a grass site for you Neil. There will be someone there to direct you when you get there.

Ulcer Acres
07-02-2008, 06:03 PM
How can this be? Most contest have a hard time this year even getting 15 teams and Kettering gets 36 and sells out. I can tell you, Jim has worked the contest and promoted it. I think the days of having a contest and people turning out for it with out promoting the contest are over. And Jim is good example of it. Even though he is a little slow at times. But the Rev has put the healing power on him.

Rolling Smoke
07-02-2008, 06:55 PM
Randy, I read your post with mixed emotions. Thank you for the kudos in promoting this contest. Your kind words mean a great deal to me. As for the part about me being slow, I'll get back with you on that (in a year or two). And by 'putting the healing power' in me, if you're talking about the time you hit me in the head with the baseball bat, then I guess I am a living testimony to your powers.

Podge
07-02-2008, 07:49 PM
well, jim, he's right. you busted your ass to promote this contest during the $4 gas, economy, etc. and to have filled your field (in Ohio for gosh sakes ! Not a huge mecca for BBQ. ) is damn good work. I've always thought that after this year, it's only the strong who will survive to have another contest next year. Just shows that a contest doesn't have to have $50,000 to fill itself up. I think other organizers who couldn't fill their field to make their contest at least a qualifier ought to feel silly, because you proved it's possible the way things are these days.

Bbq Bubba
07-02-2008, 08:21 PM
How can this be? Most contest have a hard time this year even getting 15 teams and Kettering gets 36 and sells out. I can tell you, Jim has worked the contest and promoted it. I think the days of having a contest and people turning out for it with out promoting the contest are over. And Jim is good example of it. Even though he is a little slow at times. But the Rev has put the healing power on him.

Doesn't hurt being a Brethren........:cool:

Dale P
07-02-2008, 09:02 PM
I entered not knowing what the payout was, after seeing the list of competitors, I reallty dont think I need to know. I looked around and couldnt find any info on $.
What does 13th place chicken get?

Rick's Tropical Delight
07-02-2008, 09:26 PM
I entered not knowing what the payout was, after seeing the list of competitors, I reallty dont think I need to know. I looked around and couldnt find any info on $.
What does 13th place chicken get?

i'm just hoping to make all four turn-ins

ZBQ
07-02-2008, 10:04 PM
We've got a grass site for you Neil. There will be someone there to direct you when you get there.

Thanks Brother!!:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Not sure when I will be rolling in.
Do you know how many will be there Thursday yet?

well, jim, he's right. you busted your ass to promote this contest during the $4 gas, economy, etc. and to have filled your field (in Ohio for gosh sakes ! Not a huge mecca for BBQ. ) is damn good work. I've always thought that after this year, it's only the strong who will survive to have another contest next year. Just shows that a contest doesn't have to have $50,000 to fill itself up. I think other organizers who couldn't fill their field to make their contest at least a qualifier ought to feel silly, because you proved it's possible the way things are these days.

Randy and Podge, you are correct that Jim has worked his ass off promoting this comp but you are missing something entirely. You wouldn't have a reason to know unless you were there last year or heard someone from last year tell you.

That is that Jim organized his comp with the cooks in mind and I can tell you that he understands comps from a cooks point of view and makes sure that the cooks are taken care of.

Last year it seemed like there was someone coming to our site every couple of hours to see if we needed ice or trash hauled away and asked if we needed anything else for that matter.

Also, the venue is really nice. It's a park like setting.
Not sure how it will be on the black top though.

I have no doubt that I will have just as good of a time this year as I did
last year, probably better.

I'm really looking forward to this Jim!

Big Mike
07-02-2008, 10:09 PM
Z, I will be setting up Thursday night.

ZBQ
07-02-2008, 10:45 PM
Z, I will be setting up Thursday night.

Cool, Not sure when I will be getting there but if I can make it
Thursday night, I know I will have good company!:-D

Can't wait to see that MEGA Stumps!

How many cooks have you managed to do with it so far?

(None I hope!:wink::lol:)

Rolling Smoke
07-03-2008, 03:55 AM

Thanks Podge. It doesn't hurt having good friends either.

Rick's Tropical Delight
07-03-2008, 05:51 AM
i'll be there on thursday and i'll be cooking pulled pork pizzas

Double D's BBQ
07-03-2008, 05:54 AM
Congratulations Jim on filling the field and an extremely strong one at that!

I just checked your website and saw that the newest addition is Motley Q Crew. Will Guy Fieri be joining the team? Any word of the Food Network showing up?

Looking forward to it. We'll probably need to park on a hard service with the Jedmaster.

Big Mike
07-03-2008, 06:59 AM
Cool, Not sure when I will be getting there but if I can make it
Thursday night, I know I will have good company!:-D

Can't wait to see that MEGA Stumps!

How many cooks have you managed to do with it so far?

(None I hope!:wink::lol:)

I've only cooked on it once so far, but I will have at least 2 if not 3 more cooks on it before the comp.

Rolling Smoke
07-03-2008, 07:44 AM
I've only cooked on it once so far, but I will have at least 2 if not 3 more cooks on it before the comp.

Well, if the offer still stands, do you want to make one of those practice cooks at the park tomorrow?

Rolling Smoke
07-03-2008, 08:39 AM
Thanks Brother!!:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Randy and Podge, you are correct that Jim has worked his ass off promoting this comp but you are missing something entirely. You wouldn't have a reason to know unless you were there last year or heard someone from last year tell you.

That is that Jim organized his comp with the cooks in mind and I can tell you that he understands comps from a cooks point of view and makes sure that the cooks are taken care of.

Last year it seemed like there was someone coming to our site every couple of hours to see if we needed ice or trash hauled away and asked if we needed anything else for that matter.
Before going any further with this, it's necessary to say that while I have been the primary point of contact for most of you, the other half of the organizational effort is Jimmy Weaver of Jimmys Hog Pen. It is a total team effort with us, the American Legion and all of our sponsors and while it could probably be pulled off with one or two of the equations removed, it would have been a helluva lot harder.

I do appreciate you sticking up for me Neil but Randy, Podge and I have known each other for several years and although they were not at the Kettering contest last year, that doesn't mean they don't know how Jimmy and I do things. We are competition cooks as you say and we know how we like to be treated at contests. That thought is paramount in everything we do and based on the feedback we got last year, we feel like we're doing the right things. That being said, we appreciate all the support that the barbecue community has shown us and we will continue to do whatever we can to make you want to come back next year regardless of how much your scores might have sucked this year. :biggrin:

Rolling Smoke
07-03-2008, 08:46 AM
Congratulations Jim on filling the field and an extremely strong one at that!

I just checked your website and saw that the newest addition is Motley Q Crew. Will Guy Fieri be joining the team? Any word of the Food Network showing up?

Looking forward to it. We'll probably need to park on a hard service with the Jedmaster.

Thanks Dallas. We do feel fortunate to have a full field with so many other contests not being able to make qualifier.

Based on what I'm hearing, Guido is so busy with other projects that he will likely not be here for our contest. We're holding off on the Food Network until next year. :wink:

When will you be coming in? Even on the grass, the ground is very firm so we'll figure the placement when you get here.

Double D's BBQ
07-03-2008, 09:28 AM
Jim, I'll be coming in from Cleveland late Thursday night and staying at my Father In Laws house. I've moved my Jedmaster permanently to the Dayton area, at my friends farm in Germantown to cut down on fuel costs pulling that thing. We'll hook up the Jedmaster Friday morning and should be at the contest sometime around 10 or so.

I was so hoping to meet Guy. DDD is my favorite show on the Food Network. One thing for sure though, we won't be short on colorful characters at your contest!:-D

Rolling Smoke
07-03-2008, 09:53 AM
I remember you saying your in-laws were around here but I never knew of anyone claiming to have friends in Germantown :razz:....sorry Rick

We do have a line up of colorful characters and we're looking forward to a great weekend.

Big Mike
07-03-2008, 10:10 AM
Well, if the offer still stands, do you want to make one of those practice cooks at the park tomorrow?

Sure, I was gonna call you after work.

CaptTable
07-03-2008, 10:22 AM
Damb, sooooo many Yankees in one place!!

Phillip

Podge
07-03-2008, 10:30 AM

Phillip

not all of us are yanks !.. look forward to seeing you and kathy again !!

Rolling Smoke
07-03-2008, 10:37 AM
I agree with Podge on one of the two comments he made. Take a guess which one? :twisted:

Rolling Smoke
07-03-2008, 10:41 AM
To rephrase that, I am looking forward to seeing Kathy again.

Big Mike
07-03-2008, 10:50 AM

Phillip

Well Sir, them thar be fightin words. Us boys from Alabama don't take kindly to being called a Yankee.:-P

CaptTable
07-03-2008, 10:59 AM
Some of you misunderstood my post . . . . even TWO is "soooo many Yankees in one place"!!!

Phillip

Scottie
07-03-2008, 11:12 AM
Damn, can I get a refund? I did not know who the reps were when I signed up.... The last contest, he played the CD real slow and I couldn't understand it.

I am assuming that the hot tub sponsor and the Victoria Secret models are all set for me and Podge?

CaptTable
07-03-2008, 11:22 AM
Scottie, what was this post last evening on another forum about you sitting back drinking your Jack and COKE?? You give up on SUNDROP?

Phillip

Scottie
07-03-2008, 11:43 AM
I only have a 12 pack of Sun Drop left and it's a long weekend.... Sometimes you just have to make sacrifices...

Rolling Smoke
07-03-2008, 11:54 AM
Damn, can I get a refund? I did not know who the reps were when I signed up.... The last contest, he played the CD real slow and I couldn't understand it.

I am assuming that the hot tub sponsor and the Victoria Secret models are all set for me and Podge?

You know you don't really want to do that Scottie. To back out on this contest just because of Phillip would mean you wouldn't get to see Kathy either and that would be like throwing out the baby with the toilet water...or however the expression goes.

Scottie
07-03-2008, 12:02 PM
You're right Jim. After all, she and I were born in the same hospital, it's no wonder she is such a good person...

OK, I'll still come...

But what about the Victoria Secret models? lol

Rolling Smoke
07-03-2008, 12:05 PM
It doesn't look good for the VS models but I'm working another angle that I think you will like even better.

Double D's BBQ
07-03-2008, 12:14 PM
It's not Guy Fieri in drag is it?!:eek:

Rolling Smoke
07-03-2008, 12:20 PM
God I hope not! I like his shows.

cmcadams
07-03-2008, 12:35 PM
The site is great, the Jims work very hard a the comp, and I can't wait!

Jim, I hope we all get grass sites... I loved our spot last year!

Scottie
07-03-2008, 12:40 PM
It doesn't look good for the VS models but I'm working another angle that I think you will like even better.

I always like the way you think Jim.... So nothin but good.

Rolling Smoke
07-03-2008, 12:41 PM
Thanks Curt and there's no reason why you can't get the same spot you had last year. Haz Mat finally got everything contained and all we're waiting on is a clean bill of health from the EPA. :razz:

cmcadams
07-03-2008, 12:43 PM
Thanks Curt and there's no reason why you can't get the same spot you had last year. Haz Mat finally got everything contained and all we're waiting on is a clean bill of health from the EPA. :razz:
Ouch!

Memo to self: stop saying nice thing about JF! :)

Kettering will be our first comp using a BGE and UDS combo... No trailered rig.

Rolling Smoke
07-03-2008, 12:44 PM
I always like the way you think Jim.... So nothin but good.

Well.........time will tell but I think it's going to happen.

Rolling Smoke
07-03-2008, 12:48 PM
Ouch!

Memo to self: stop saying nice thing about JF! :)

Kettering will be our first comp using a BGE and UDS combo... No trailered rig.

Oh, I didn't mean to imply that the super fund project was because of you or anything you did. I think it has to do with rotten goose eggs that never hatched this spring.

Dale P
07-03-2008, 12:49 PM
Now I know where my spot is...

Big Mike
07-03-2008, 01:17 PM
Its right between the rotten goose eggs and the pee pot. Should make ya feel like ya never left Kentucky.:-P:-P

Scottie
07-03-2008, 01:23 PM
What about sheep?

Sorry...

;-)

Dale P
07-03-2008, 02:37 PM
Mike & Scottie, im sorry but I just now got finished running the 5 miles home from where I give extreme fighting classes. I have a little sweat in my eyes and will read the above post's in a little while. See ya soon.:wink:

Big Mike
07-03-2008, 02:41 PM
What about sheep?

Sorry...

;-)

Can't get sheep, but I do know where some goats are located.

Dale P
07-03-2008, 02:43 PM
Sheep, Victor Secrets, goats. Man, you Yankees are starting to scare the crap out of me.

CaptTable
07-03-2008, 03:11 PM
I told ya, I told ya. I told ya!!!!!!!!

Phillip

Rick's Tropical Delight
07-03-2008, 04:56 PM
I remember you saying your in-laws were around here but I never knew of anyone claiming to have friends in Germantown :razz:....sorry Rick

We do have a line up of colorful characters and we're looking forward to a great weekend.

no pizza for you! :twisted:

i don't actually live in germantown. that's just where the mailman keeps his mule :biggrin:

i live in south drexel :shock:

Bud's BBQ
07-04-2008, 06:52 AM

Phillip

Phillip, just want you to know that I'm from the South! ............(south Akron, Ohio)

ZBQ
07-04-2008, 03:20 PM
Before going any further with this, it's necessary to say that while I have been the primary point of contact for most of you, the other half of the organizational effort is Jimmy Weaver of Jimmys Hog Pen. It is a total team effort with us, the American Legion and all of our sponsors and while it could probably be pulled off with one or two of the equations removed, it would have been a helluva lot harder.

I do appreciate you sticking up for me Neil but Randy, Podge and I have known each other for several years and although they were not at the Kettering contest last year, that doesn't mean they don't know how Jimmy and I do things. We are competition cooks as you say and we know how we like to be treated at contests. That thought is paramount in everything we do and based on the feedback we got last year, we feel like we're doing the right things. That being said, we appreciate all the support that the barbecue community has shown us and we will continue to do whatever we can to make you want to come back next year regardless of how much your scores might have sucked this year. :biggrin:

Sorry about the delay in this post Jim, but I just read this and thought I needed to respond
publicly, just to clarify and avoid accidental bad karma.

I didn't intend to sound like I was "sticking up for you" and I certaintly didn't
mean or think that anything that Randy or Podge said was wrong in any way, shape or form.

My only intention was to say that it was no mystery to ME as to why a contest
that you promoted would be a success. Nothing more. I probably could
have worded it better though. Sorry.:oops:

Looking forward to meeting you Podge and Randy!:grin:

Podge
07-04-2008, 07:12 PM
Sorry about the delay in this post Jim, but I just read this and thought I needed to respond
publicly, just to clarify and avoid accidental bad karma.

I didn't intend to sound like I was "sticking up for you" and I certaintly didn't
mean or think that anything that Randy or Podge said was wrong in any way, shape or form.

My only intention was to say that it was no mystery to ME as to why a contest
that you promoted would be a success. Nothing more. I probably could
have worded it better though. Sorry.:oops:

Looking forward to meeting you Podge and Randy!:grin:

Looking forward to meeting you too !.. Randy ain't cooking this one though.

Scottie
07-04-2008, 11:09 PM
I believe he is hitting the Square Dancing Circuit that weekend....

Ford
07-06-2008, 01:33 PM
I'll be there Thursday night and I'm bringing a "secret" helper as well as having Brethren Brother Ben - "bertkemtncurs" coming in on Friday as my helper and runner.

The Pigman
07-06-2008, 10:08 PM
Went to the meeting today at the American Legion to get rid of the jidders and needed a few drinks to drive home.......................Well lets see I was hoping to hear that 36 out of 37 teams are 1st timers and what do I hear--2006 and 2007 Jack Daniels winners will be there along with Motley Que Crew...... plus all the brethren here that know what they are doing..........do me a favor if you see me standing there looking lost direct me to which end of smoker that it is that I light.

Being a first timmer I do want to thank Jim F. and Jim W. for the info and making me feel welcome. They have been great and it looks like this will BE and in the future the Elite in Ohio. I do ask alot of questions.... just hoping some of it sinks in.

Looking forward to meet all Brethren Brothers there and would like to set up a photo shoot with all brethern At say 7 or 8pm Friday in Frt of the Cannon in frt of the American Legion.

The Pigman
07-07-2008, 09:27 AM
Doesn't hurt being a Brethren........:cool:bbq-bubba
It does help alot... hope we all can get together for a photo

i'm just hoping to make all four turn-ins Ricks tropical delight
I am hoping I dont burn down Kettering

Cant make thur night but will have Deer Chili for fri night so stop by and get some everyone. Just look for the blue lanterns Smokin' Blue BBQ.

i'll be there on thursday and i'll be cooking pulled pork pizzas

Ford
07-07-2008, 07:12 PM
Went to the meeting today at the American Legion to get rid of the jidders and needed a few drinks to drive home.......................Well lets see I was hoping to hear that 36 out of 37 teams are 1st timers and what do I hear--2006 and 2007 Jack Daniels winners will be there along with Motley Que Crew...... plus all the brethren here that know what they are doing..........do me a favor if you see me standing there looking lost direct me to which end of smoker that it is that I light.

Being a first timmer I do want to thank Jim F. and Jim W. for the info and making me feel welcome. They have been great and it looks like this will BE and in the future the Elite in Ohio. I do ask alot of questions.... just hoping some of it sinks in.

Looking forward to meet all Brethren Brothers there and would like to set up a photo shoot with all brethern At say 7 or 8pm Friday in Frt of the Cannon in frt of the American Legion.

And then there's Smokey Mountain Smokers who took 2 GC's in 2007 after Labor Day and 4 GC's already this year with 3 RGC's and one more GC by Labor Day and they have an automatic to the Jack. Not many teams have done 7 GC's for an automatic. I'd say that we have a pretty good field to test our skills against.

Ford
07-07-2008, 07:20 PM
OK for all the Northern teams. As I just posted, Joe will be there and he is the source of those great disposable cutting boards. I ordered 3 packs to be delivered at Kettering saving a lot of shipping. Just mail them if you want him to bring more.

Note: I have no interest in his business but I did see thsoe cutting boards early last year and am on my 3 set of 90 boards. They are fantastic for use at comps and no washing them. Even use some at home.

ZBQ
07-07-2008, 07:46 PM
OK for all the Northern teams. As I just posted, Joe will be there and he is the source of those great disposable cutting boards. I ordered 3 packs to be delivered at Kettering saving a lot of shipping. Just mail them if you want him to bring more.

Note: I have no interest in his business but I did see thsoe cutting boards early last year and am on my 3 set of 90 boards. They are fantastic for use at comps and no washing them. Even use some at home.

Got any contact info Ford? Website? Phone #?

I'd like to check them out and maybe get some.

You can PM it if you feel it's necessary

Bbq Bubba
07-07-2008, 09:15 PM
Got any contact info Ford? Website? Phone #?

I'd like to check them out and maybe get some.

You can PM it if you feel it's necessary

Here ya go Neil.....http://store.smokymountainsmokers.com/

Those cutting boards are awesome! :biggrin:

ZBQ
07-07-2008, 09:30 PM
Here ya go Neil.....http://store.smokymountainsmokers.com/

Those cutting boards are awesome! :biggrin:

Thanks Steve!!:-D

Big Mike
07-07-2008, 09:45 PM
I'll be getting some, they are great.