PDA

View Full Version : Battle of the BBQ Brethren, Sayville, NY - October 24 - 26, 2008

motoeric
07-01-2008, 12:25 PM
this thread is for listing who is attending the event
and in what capacity and for discussing fun topics such as
side bets, 13th place chicken, and so on

Battle of the BBQ Brethren
Gillette Park
Sayville, NY

Oct. 24 - 26

motoeric
07-01-2008, 12:26 PM
I'll be there all three days.

Eric Devlin - Organizing Team

SmokeInDaEye
07-01-2008, 12:35 PM
Get your checks in. Only 3 spots left!

Cue's Your Daddy
07-01-2008, 01:05 PM
I will be in as well as Grills Gone wild- which is my dad's team

BigBarry
07-01-2008, 01:18 PM
Paid!

Look out 13th place chicken!!

Muzzlebrake
07-01-2008, 01:18 PM
Get your checks in. Only 3 spots left!

seriously?

whos in?

motoeric
07-01-2008, 01:23 PM
seriously?

No, not seriously.

Eric

rbsnwngs
07-01-2008, 01:34 PM
mailed my check today

HolySmoke
07-01-2008, 02:00 PM
"Out of the ashes BBQ" will be there, although not that excited about the "alternative grill-style" grill day...

butt head
07-01-2008, 03:36 PM
we were looking for another comp for this year. i think this will be it:icon_cool

pigmaker23
07-01-2008, 03:53 PM
That should be interesting

SmokeInDaEye
07-01-2008, 03:56 PM
"Out of the ashes BBQ" will be there, although not that excited about the "alternative grill-style" grill day...

What's alternative grill day?

BBQchef33
07-01-2008, 03:59 PM
roll call?

I haven't even signed up for Ribfest yet,

and thats in august.

bbqesq
07-01-2008, 08:50 PM
I will be there too. I am a member of Cue's Your Daddy but I see my brother (other member of Cue's Your Daddy) is competing with my dad's team. So either I have been kicked off the team or they just haven't got around to telling me that we are competing as Grills Gone Wild. I should call my family more often.

Jacked UP BBQ
07-01-2008, 09:11 PM
Can I still get in???

rookiedad
07-01-2008, 09:34 PM
Better Days Barbeque will be there!

WannaBeBBQueen
07-02-2008, 06:23 AM
Swamp Pit BBQ with be there too :biggrin:

MAsQue
07-02-2008, 07:00 AM
roll call?

and thats in august.

We've had our check in for Sayville for a month already. You're falling behind the pack, Phil!

rbsnwngs
07-02-2008, 07:12 AM
roll call?

and thats in august.

you should put up the Willie Paloooooooooza Big Weiner trophy

Westexbbq
07-02-2008, 08:57 AM
I don't believe I have received my invitation yet......

Muzzlebrake
07-02-2008, 09:03 AM
I will be there too. I am a member of Cue's Your Daddy but I see my brother (other member of Cue's Your Daddy) is competing with my dad's team. So either I have been kicked off the team or they just haven't got around to telling me that we are competing as Grills Gone Wild. I should call my family more often.

isnt it just touching at how this place just brings family together?

SmokeInDaEye
07-02-2008, 09:35 AM
Only 3 months and 2 spots to go...

MattCom
07-02-2008, 02:46 PM
We sent in our payment!!
Pizza's a gunna be flyn' at our digs... Look out!

SmokeInDaEye
07-02-2008, 03:14 PM
With respect to the grilling contest, what is "fatty"? A type of fish?

Transformer BBQ
07-02-2008, 03:16 PM
With respect to the grilling contest, what is "fatty"? A type of fish?

for you... yes.

motoeric
07-02-2008, 04:11 PM
For clarification purposes and to stop the pm's I've been receiving -

CLINT IS JOKING ABOUT THE AMOUNT OF COMPETITOR SLOTS LEFT!!!

As of now there are enough spaces to go around. If you have been holding off on signing up, you may want to go ahead and send in the check soon, but we have at least 15 slots left as of today.

They are going quick, but not that quick.

Eric

SmokeInDaEye
07-02-2008, 04:53 PM
For clarification purposes and to stop the pm's I've been receiving -

CLINT IS NOT JOKING ABOUT THE AMOUNT OF COMPETITOR SLOTS LEFT!!!

As of now there aren't enough spaces to go around. If you have been holding off on signing up, you may want to go ahead and send in the check soon, because we have 1.5 slots left as of today.

They are going quick.

Eric

But it did light a fire to people's beehinds!

Ron_L
07-02-2008, 04:57 PM
If gas were back down to semi-sane prices I'd drive out for this. Probably not gonna happen...

timzcardz
07-02-2008, 05:08 PM
If gas were back down to semi-sane prices I'd drive out for this. Probably not gonna happen...

The airport is right up the road. You could always fly in for the weekend for under $200 RT.

WannaBeBBQueen
07-02-2008, 05:27 PM
The airport is right up the road. You could always fly in for the weekend for under $200 RT.

Now there's a good idea :biggrin:

Ron_L
07-02-2008, 05:36 PM
What is the closest airport? Do you think my FEC will fit into my carry on?

Edit: Never mind... Mapquest is your friend :-D

$388 right now. I'll put it on Farewatcher to see what happens.

timzcardz
07-02-2008, 06:03 PM
What is the closest airport? Do you think my FEC will fit into my carry on?

Edit: Never mind... Mapquest is your friend :-D

$388 right now. I'll put it on Farewatcher to see what happens.

Southwest, Midway into Long Island (Islip MacArthur Airport), in 10/24 Out 10/27 is under $200. Out on 10/26 is a little over $200.

Westexbbq
07-02-2008, 06:56 PM
And some of us LIFO's are very close to said airport.

SmokeInDaEye
07-02-2008, 08:30 PM
Ronelle, what kind of mileage you get from the pig in your avatar?

Sawdustguy
07-03-2008, 05:36 PM
The Polocks check is in da mail. Beware of Lech and Stosh.

Big George's BBQ
07-03-2008, 08:50 PM
What is this and where is it

MilitantSquatter
07-03-2008, 08:54 PM

http://www.bbqbattleli.com/

Solidkick
07-04-2008, 08:13 AM
I dunno George.....it may be safer to stay in PA than to be exposed to some of these nuts! :eek: If you become the victim of a reach around, consider the fact that you was warned by a MoFo that witnessed it first hand.....(no pun intented).........:twisted:

motoeric
07-04-2008, 09:50 AM

Click here (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45312) for the event announcement thread

Eric

Big George's BBQ
07-05-2008, 08:25 AM
Thanks to everyone. Anoyone have an idea how far this is from the Phila. area

WannaBeBBQueen
07-05-2008, 08:36 AM
from Harleysville to Sayville....
166 mi – about 3 hours 14 mins

Hope you'll join us, I'm not part of the reach around stuff, so your safe if you hang with us :biggrin:

Smoker'sLoungeBBQ
07-06-2008, 06:49 AM
Smoker's Lounge BBQ will return for year 2!

Bob S
07-06-2008, 09:43 PM
Blazin' Buttz will be there again. :-D

motoeric
07-10-2008, 09:36 PM
If you would be willing to cook up a butt or two that is provided to you so that we can feed volunteers at the event, please let me know. Clearly there would be no expense and minimal effort for you.

Thanks!

Eric

Frank Sacco
07-10-2008, 10:13 PM
Thanks to everyone. Anoyone have an idea how far this is from the Phila. area
around 2.5 - 3 hrs from exit 1 on the PA turnpike with moderate traffic.

Frank Sacco
07-10-2008, 10:18 PM
If you would be willing to cook up a butt or two that is provided to you so that we can feed volunteers at the event, please let me know. Clearly there would be no expense and minimal effort for you.

Thanks!

Eric

I think we will have plenty of room for atleast two butts.
Is it the cooks choice for the rub????
I will have some volunteers scratching arse on the way home.

FIRE IN THE HOLE!!!

MAsQue
07-11-2008, 06:01 AM

Thanks!

Eric

Plenty of room on my cooker, Eric.

WannaBeBBQueen
07-11-2008, 06:05 AM
We've got room in our cooker too :biggrin:

Sledneck
07-11-2008, 06:25 AM
Dont forget to save some extra space in those cookers for the Island Harvest Food drive!!

BigBarry
07-11-2008, 04:14 PM
Dont forget to save some extra space in those cookers for the Island Harvest Food drive!!

Sled - what do you think of this:

Bring a large (wheeled) cooler around and a big roll of foil. If teams want to donate extra food, wrap it there and ice it up. Then bring it back to your "home base" and pack it as you will (I assume in a larger cooler?).

If they are cooking extra on purpose, same thing.

Lakeside Smoker
07-12-2008, 07:11 AM
Sled - what do you think of this:

Bring a large (wheeled) cooler around and a big roll of foil. If teams want to donate extra food, wrap it there and ice it up. Then bring it back to your "home base" and pack it as you will (I assume in a larger cooler?).

If they are cooking extra on purpose, same thing.

That's a good idea.
I thought that an onsite fridge would work good, too. Or even a freezer. You could contact a local rental place to see if they would donate one. Have the teams put their leftovers into those big 2.5 gallon bags and then you could put them into the fridge or freezer right away.

smokincracker
07-14-2008, 04:14 PM
Brothers

I am officially introducing the cook team “Spicy Cracker Smokers”

Jay Curry from Team Q and Spicewine Smokers, from Missouri
&
Jimmy Brod from Smokin’ Cracker BBQ Team, from Florida

We are teaming up as the “Spicy Cracker Smokers” for The Battle of the Brethren.
We both look forward to hanging with all the Brethren at this contest. It will be great to put some faces with these names and enjoy some cold beverages with all you guys.
We are officially signed up and thanks to Phil and Sled for the help and hooking us up with some used equipment.

Jay and I would appreciate any help we can get as far as equipment goes.
If anyone can loan us some stuff please send me a PM we would appreciate any help you guys can give us. Jet Blue will not let us check an ez-up, smoker or a cambro!!! Imagine that!!! I think I can get my knives in my carry on bag:)

See u guys in October
We both fly-in to JFK on Thursday afternoon.
You guys from NY do have pre-contest partys right? we don't want to miss anything.

BBQchef33
07-14-2008, 04:42 PM
We are officially signed up and thanks to Phil and Sled for the help and hooking us up with some used equipment.

One medium sized Hibachi - Check
Bottle lighter fluid(Kingsford) - Check
2 large bags of Pine chunks - check
Large jar Licorice/habanero Sauce - check
meats(purchased June 22) - Check

Ok.. we got ya covered. :mrgreen:

Cue's Your Daddy
07-14-2008, 05:00 PM
A list of what you guys need would be helpful, so we can check off what you will have or still need.

motoeric
07-14-2008, 05:26 PM

If anyone can loan us some stuff please send me a PM we would appreciate any help you guys can give us. Jet Blue will not let us check an ez-up, smoker or a cambro!!! Imagine that!!! I think I can get my knives in my carry on bag:)

I'd be happy to loan you a wsm and a couple of kettles, but you need to clean out your pm box so you can get messages.

Eric

Sledneck
07-14-2008, 05:33 PM
Just bring Jimmy all the Ezra Brooks bourbon you can find

smokincracker
07-14-2008, 05:59 PM
A list of what you guys need would be helpful, so we can check off what you will have or still need.

your right I'll get with Jay on this....
3 months will go by fast

smokincracker
07-14-2008, 06:00 PM
I'd be happy to loan you a wsm and a couple of kettles, but you need to clean out your pm box so you can get messages.

Eric

cool thanks
Phil is loaning us his Spicewine and a couple of Kettles would do the trick for sure.
Thanks

smokincracker
07-14-2008, 06:03 PM
Just bring Jimmy all the Ezra Brooks bourbon you can find

Nothing better after turn-ins than some Ezra Brooks on the rocks.:)

Sledneck
07-14-2008, 06:07 PM
Nothing better after turn-ins than some Ezra Brooks on the rocks.:)
The idea is to load you up BEFORE turn ins:rolleyes::tongue:

smokincracker
07-14-2008, 06:12 PM

I got it.
I've been known to drink a few to pass the time!!

Mrs. Sawdust
07-14-2008, 07:17 PM
Brothers

I am officially introducing the cook team “Spicy Cracker Smokers”

Jay Curry from Team Q and Spicewine Smokers, from Missouri
&
Jimmy Brod from Smokin’ Cracker BBQ Team, from Florida

We are teaming up as the “Spicy Cracker Smokers” for The Battle of the Brethren.
We both look forward to hanging with all the Brethren at this contest. It will be great to put some faces with these names and enjoy some cold beverages with all you guys.

See u guys in October
We both fly-in to JFK on Thursday afternoon.
You guys from NY do have pre-contest partys right? we don't want to miss anything.

Cracker,

If the other eastern dealer were to join you we could modify the name to
the Spicey Cracker Polish Smokers!:biggrin::shock::tongue:

motoeric
07-14-2008, 07:27 PM
Hi,

I have some friends who are going to create a team and compete this year. They have NO experience with BBQ. They are professional cooks and know their way around food, but not true BBQ. Like everyone else out there, they believe that they have a 'killer' sauce recipe and probably don't know quite what they are getting themselves into.

Is there anyone that wouldn't mind lending them a hand and a bit of advice during the event?

Thanks!

Eric

spicewine
07-14-2008, 07:49 PM

I cook better Farked up. Just ask Phil. :wink: There's nothing more dangerous than a wounded animal!!:shock:

We are looking forward to meeting all of you.

Spice

SmokeInDaEye
07-14-2008, 07:59 PM
Looking forward to having the Spice Cracker come visit. Can we give them Sled's old spot?

smokincracker
07-14-2008, 09:41 PM
Cracker,

If the other eastern dealer were to join you we could modify the name to
the Spicey Cracker Polish Smokers!:biggrin::shock::tongue:

Mrs. Sawdust

Thanks but Jay and I agreed to leave work at home.
We are not coming to NY to sell smokers but it will be good to meet you guys.

See you guys in October

timzcardz
07-23-2008, 07:15 AM
Grim Reaper Smokers just mailed their application and check this morning! :grin:

Rockaway BeachBQ
08-13-2008, 08:19 PM
Beach Bum Barbecue has a check in the mail. Passing up on Grilling, way to much work for a husband and wife team. I was exhausted after setting up and doing grilling last year and this is way more complex this year.

What is up with the friday night chili contest? I assume we can bring those prepared. I like to mix 2 cans of Stagg with 1 can of Hormel for my secret recipe.

And I would like a spot next to Heavy Metal Barbecue again. I am sure no else is going to make the same request.

Yakfishingfool
08-13-2008, 09:34 PM
I will be there with Phil, even got monday off so I can rest a bit! Scott

BBQchef33
08-13-2008, 09:59 PM
Unless we are at the Jack. 3 weeks and counting.

Yakfishingfool
08-13-2008, 10:05 PM
hmmmmmm...that's interesting.....

BBQchef33
08-13-2008, 10:05 PM
I cook better Farked up. Just ask Phil. :wink: There's nothing more dangerous than a wounded animal!!:shock:

We are looking forward to meeting all of you.

Spice

This is a farking understatment. I never seen any team light up like TeamQ and even wake up on time.... never mind walk away with GC's.

jays my hero...... I'd be in a farking coma.... :oops:

mfalco
08-27-2008, 11:36 AM
Checks sent!!!

SmokeInDaEye
08-27-2008, 01:57 PM
When're we going to see details on this Iron Chef grilling category? I need to start practicing.

BBQchef33
08-27-2008, 02:00 PM
its august..

Contests in October.. all u need now is to go get your buzzer and work on your head.

:)

Sledneck
08-27-2008, 02:08 PM
its august..

Contests in October.. all u need now is to go get your buzzer and work on your head.

Pfffffft dont hold your breath:rolleyes:

Jacked UP BBQ
08-27-2008, 02:39 PM
When're we going to see details on this Iron Chef grilling category? I need to start practicing.

Wouldn't really be iron chef if you found out in advance, would it?:?:

Sledneck
08-27-2008, 04:09 PM
Wouldn't really be iron chef if you found out in advance, would it?:?:Doh! It would be if we all wore iron when we cooked

SmokeInDaEye
08-27-2008, 04:26 PM
its august..

It's nearly September and I have nothing better to do then practice. Already got all of my fatties deboned, gutted and frozen.

I'll have my new haircut for Willie's Bash on Saturday so quit your beetching.

As for Iron Chef, I just want to know if we're getting one item (say clams) or multiple items (say clams, marshmallows and gravy) and how long there is between when we get them and when the turn-ins are. The rest is easy.

deez20
09-15-2008, 09:57 PM
Looks like I'll be competing for the first time @ Sayville. It should be me and my friend and possible our wives. We were going to go with fat belly bbq but I see there is a big belly bbq team so my wife came up with chubby hubby's bbq so that's what were going with. Now I've got to go out and start practicing, I can't wait until October.

Can anybody tell me what are the mandatory items that we need to bring? As far as sanitation I see we need 3 seperate tubs for washing, rinsing and sanitation as well as bleach/water. We've got latex gloves and fire extinguishers and 2 burner coleman stove for hot water. Anything else that I am missing that is a must have? Also is there usually a place to dump the dirty water?

MrsBigBarry
09-16-2008, 12:39 PM
It's nearly September and I have nothing better to do then practice. Already got all of my fatties deboned, gutted and frozen.

I'll have my new haircut for Willie's Bash on Saturday so quit your beetching.

As for Iron Chef, I just want to know if we're getting one item (say clams) or multiple items (say clams, marshmallows and gravy) and how long there is between when we get them and when the turn-ins are. The rest is easy.

(say clams, marshmallows and gravy) - ewww, you didn't really think of putting those three together, did you Clint?

Sledneck
09-16-2008, 01:07 PM
Looks like I'll be competing for the first time @ Sayville. It should be me and my friend and possible our wives. We were going to go with fat belly bbq but I see there is a big belly bbq team so my wife came up with chubby hubby's bbq so that's what were going with. Now I've got to go out and start practicing, I can't wait until October.

Can anybody tell me what are the mandatory items that we need to bring? As far as sanitation I see we need 3 seperate tubs for washing, rinsing and sanitation as well as bleach/water. We've got latex gloves and fire extinguishers and 2 burner coleman stove for hot water. Anything else that I am missing that is a must have? Also is there usually a place to dump the dirty water?I would say that the most critical thing you would need is a BLUE thermapen

SmokeInDaEye
09-16-2008, 01:49 PM
(say clams, marshmallows and gravy) - ewww, you didn't really think of putting those three together, did you Clint?

Yep. Was practicing recipes all weekend.

Zeez, check out this doc on the KCBS site. Very informative for a first time team, including a checklist of things teams find helpful to have on hand. http://www.kcbs.us/pdf/YourFirstCookoff.pdf

MattCom
09-17-2008, 12:33 PM
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb301/Matto22/truck.jpg
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb301/Matto22/truck2.jpg
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb301/Matto22/truck3.jpg

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb301/Matto22/Picture3.jpg

We may need a bigger space.

motoeric
09-17-2008, 01:37 PM
Wow. Nice. If you are bringing the dancers I'll do what I can to get you a bigger space.

Eric

Frank Sacco
09-17-2008, 05:41 PM
That's great! I love the rig

HolySmoke
09-17-2008, 08:15 PM
just got a confirmation on the dancers, they will be there!!!

Big George's BBQ
09-18-2008, 08:15 AM
That will be an interesting Comp

spicewine
09-22-2008, 08:34 PM
You know, not one of you Farkers have said " Hey Cracker & Spice!! "

It will be great to meet you!! We'll have a great time!!

Is it something we said???

Stepchild Mod!!!

Spice

motoeric
09-22-2008, 09:08 PM
We were waiting for the party for that. Now the cat is out of the bag.

Sheesh.

Ed, I'll try to dig up that info for you.

Eric

spicewine
09-23-2008, 07:45 AM
Just jerkin' your chain!!:twisted::grin:

smokincracker
09-23-2008, 02:09 PM
I'm worried about that Yankee Mod Rubbin Off :)

I want to thank Sled right now for hooking us up with STUFF and also Vinny for letting us use his baby. I am looking forward to hanging with all you guys and learning a few things from some of you brethren.

Yankees kiss the pig at the end too right?
Don't let your meatloaf

Westexbbq
09-23-2008, 02:38 PM
Hey Cracker & Spice!!

Sledneck
09-23-2008, 02:43 PM

I want to thank Sled right now for hooking us up with STUFF and also Vinny for letting us use his baby. I am looking forward to hanging with all you guys and learning a few things from some of you brethren.

Yankees kiss the pig at the end too right?
Don't let your meatloafYou need to print up a cracker translation book so these Yankees can understand what you are saying:tongue:

spicewine
09-23-2008, 03:51 PM
Hey Cracker & Spice!!

:cry::cry::cry::cry: I can feel the love!!!!:cry::cry::cry:

SmokeInDaEye
09-23-2008, 04:39 PM
go ahead, lay the guilt trip on me. Im having enuf trouble as it is.

You're not defending your title?????

Frank Sacco
09-23-2008, 06:43 PM
You know, not one of you Farkers have said " Hey Cracker & Spice!! "

Is it something we said???

Stepchild Mod!!!

Spice

I'm so excited to have you southern boys pay a visit to Sayville NY. Hope y'all have a safe trip up. Be sure to drop by Blazin' Buttz for a cold one and meet and greet!

motoeric
09-23-2008, 08:31 PM
Is anyone interested in a potluck dinner Friday night?

Eric

WannaBeBBQueen
09-24-2008, 06:35 AM
Is anyone interested in a potluck dinner Friday night?

Eric

sure sounds good to me :biggrin:...let's get a list of who's makin' what.

we make a rice and sausage dish that's the bomb...I'll make that.

I'll call it Irish Paella...lol

Frank Sacco
09-24-2008, 06:47 AM
I'm in!! Grilled Sausages, peppers & onions.

What time would the potluck begin. Some people may show up later than others do to travel or work.

WannaBeBBQueen
09-24-2008, 06:49 AM

I want to thank Sled right now for hooking us up with STUFF and also Vinny for letting us use his baby.

I guess my ez-up coolers and tables dont' count...(boo hoo mod)jk

Can't wait you'll be in the spot between Sled and Swamp Pit :eusa_clap..life will never be the same :eek::icon_blush::rolleyes:

Tequila consumption isn't a problem right? lol

WannaBeBBQueen
09-24-2008, 06:51 AM
hmmm how about 8pm?:rolleyes:

MAsQue
09-24-2008, 06:57 AM
sure sounds good to me :biggrin:...let's get a list of who's makin' what.

we make a rice and sausage dish that's the bomb...I'll make that.

I'll call it Irish Paella...lol

I'll bring the Bonnacker Clam Pie.

spicewine
09-24-2008, 07:56 AM
I haven't heard who is helping us with what, but I want everyone to know that we both appreciate the efforts to help us participate in the event. It is really tough to show up at a contest with just your suit case and a beer coolie.

Spice

Sledneck
09-24-2008, 08:03 AM
I haven't heard who is helping us with what, but I want everyone to know that we both appreciate the efforts to help us participate in the event. It is really tough to show up at a contest with just your suit case and a beer coolie.

SpiceIts a group effort and we are all more than happy to treat you guys to some real Yankee Hospitality

Sledneck
09-24-2008, 08:05 AM
I am offering to bring westex who will bring his frito pie with him:biggrin:

Westexbbq
09-24-2008, 08:49 AM
I am offering to bring westex who will bring his frito pie with him:biggrin:

I took some last year in the rainstorm Friday night and will be honored to bring some frito pie again this year. (hopefully without the rain):tongue:

rbsnwngs
09-24-2008, 10:56 AM
beer coolie ha my beer doesnt last long enough to even have a chance to get warm

YankeeBBQ
09-24-2008, 11:32 AM
I can't believe Phil is not defending his title that's just wrong. I always return to a competition where I have done well to support the event.

Jorge
09-24-2008, 11:36 AM
I can't believe Phil is not defending his title that's just wrong. I always return to a competition where I have done well to support the event.

You can do better than that:lol:

pigmaker23
09-24-2008, 01:00 PM
what this isnt the circus channel ? :-D

PLEASE use the 'Sayville Roll Call' thread for chatter about this event.

I would like to keep this thread easily navigable for people who need event information.

Eric

rbsnwngs
09-24-2008, 02:31 PM
PLEASE use the 'Sayville Roll Call' thread for chatter about this event.

I would like to keep this thread easily navigable for people who need event information.

Eric

I am very sorry for not keeping this on topic

SmokeInDaEye
09-24-2008, 03:54 PM

Amen to that. Plus, not having team BBQ Brethren at the Battle of the BBQ Brethren is like not serving Harpoon at Harpoon.

Sledneck
09-24-2008, 03:56 PM
Leave the poohbah alone, he will be busy fixing the jack:tongue::biggrin:

BBQchef33
09-24-2008, 04:34 PM
guys, ive been meaning to post something in D&R regarding this....

you have no idea what it was like to have to make a decision between this contest or going to The Jack. Normally it would be a no brainer, but being this is our flagship contest, I do feel a responsibility to be there, but The Jack, in my case is very much a once in a lifetime chance. One of our members told me its the choice of being at an event that will be back next year, or representing us at The Jack. Its still doesn't make it easy.

Reality is setting in now as it gets closer to leaving for the Royal next Tuesday. October is going to be 3 contests and 4200 driving miles, hotels, plane flights and a team coming in from 3 states.

as opposed to driving 20 minutes from my house. :icon_smil

but as I keep telling myself... Its THE JACK, and yeah, its a bittersweet opportunity. If I backed out of it to be at Sayville, what would you guys honestly think?

Sledneck
09-24-2008, 05:10 PM

you have no idea what it was like to have to make a decision between this contest or going to The Jack. Normally it would be a no brainer, but being this is our flagship contest, and I do feel a responsibility to be there, but The Jack, in my case is very much a once in a lifetime chance. One of our members told me its the choice of being at an event that will be back next year, or representing us at The Jack. Its still doesn't make it easy. Reality is setting in now as it gets closer to leaving for the Royal next Tuesday. October is going to be 3 contests and 4200 driving miles, hotels, plane flights and a team coming in from 3 states.

but as I keep telling myself... Its THE JACK, and yeah, its a bittersweet opportunity. If I backed out of it to be at Sayville, what would you guys honestly think?Are you serious????

barfly
09-24-2008, 05:20 PM

you have no idea what it was like to have to make a decision between this contest or going to The Jack. Normally it would be a no brainer, but being this is our flagship contest, and I do feel a responsibility to be there, but The Jack, in my case is very much a once in a lifetime chance. One of our members told me its the choice of being at an event that will be back next year, or representing us at The Jack. Its still doesn't make it easy. Reality is setting in now as it gets closer to leaving for the Royal next Tuesday. October is going to be 3 contests and 4200 driving miles, hotels, plane flights and a team coming in from 3 states.

but as I keep telling myself... Its THE JACK, and yeah, its a bittersweet opportunity. If I backed out of it to be at Sayville, what would you guys honestly think?

i think you should go... one less team to beat, lol, jk... go phil.. no question in my mind.

spicewine
09-24-2008, 05:21 PM
I think you would be an idot!! But that is better than what I think about you now!!:twisted: We will be working hard to steal your thunder back home while you are sitting pretty in a "Dry County"

Back Door Man Mod.!!!:grin:

SmokeInDaEye
09-24-2008, 05:41 PM
No worries, Phil. We'll keep a light on for you. And you're always welcome to come cook the sausage category for me on Saturday.

BBQchef33
09-24-2008, 06:50 PM
(*!@!##@$@#T$@^#$@#! !!!!

it aint farkin Sausage. ItS a FaTtiE.....

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr... :twisted::twisted:

:wink::tongue:

Muzzlebrake
09-24-2008, 07:05 PM
It is really tough to show up at a contest with just your suit case and a beer coolie.

if you are really between Sled and the Swamp Pit it is going to be a whole lot easier then you think.........mmmmm color coded jello shots

Westexbbq
09-24-2008, 07:08 PM
Phil,
In your heart, you know you're right.
I am already on the record.

CTSmokehouse
09-24-2008, 08:18 PM

you have no idea what it was like to have to make a decision between this contest or going to The Jack. Normally it would be a no brainer, but being this is our flagship contest, I do feel a responsibility to be there, but The Jack, in my case is very much a once in a lifetime chance. One of our members told me its the choice of being at an event that will be back next year, or representing us at The Jack. Its still doesn't make it easy.

Reality is setting in now as it gets closer to leaving for the Royal next Tuesday. October is going to be 3 contests and 4200 driving miles, hotels, plane flights and a team coming in from 3 states.

I wish you the best. You have made the right decision. After seeing first hand the LI Brethren clean up in CT, I hope that you will too at the AR and the Jack. Sayville will thrive and you can defend your title next year. You earned it...so enjoy it!

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

smokincracker
09-24-2008, 08:28 PM

The Jack is the JACK no brainer YOU GO DO THE JACK
Win the Jack don't just fark around at the damn place.

The Spice Bag and I will see you at a contest soon!!! next week:)

Hey you cookin a prime rib next week:)????

Jacked UP BBQ
09-24-2008, 08:32 PM
Ocean county Pig Assassins will be there, I might me flying solo. But I will get Sledneck Hammered drunk.

Sledneck
09-24-2008, 08:38 PM
Ocean county Pig Assassins will be there, I might me flying solo. But I will get Sledneck Hammered drunk.Sounds like a plan to me!

BigBarry
09-25-2008, 02:33 AM
Phil - we will miss you and the team but it's a once-in-a-lifetime thing.

Good luck and represent us LIFOs and the Brethren well!!!

WannaBeBBQueen
09-25-2008, 06:10 AM
if you are really between Sled and the Swamp Pit it is going to be a whole lot easier then you think.........mmmmm color coded jello shots

jello shot ???:rolleyes: color coded:eek: Swamp Pit?:eusa_clap Geez there you go givin away all our secrets :icon_blush:

PHIL...GO TO THE JACK!!!!! We'll be rootin' for you...now get plannin!!!

ihbobry
09-25-2008, 07:56 AM
If I backed out of it to be at Sayville, what would you guys honestly think?

That you have a great connection, because your smoking some really good stuff.:biggrin:

Just remember how you felt @ HV.

Porky
09-25-2008, 08:48 AM
Phil, go to the Jack. You will be missed but you have a great shot representing us LIFO's. BEST OF LUCK

rookiedad
09-25-2008, 11:09 AM

Phil,
"From The Backyard To The American Royal"! Go in good health and with well wishes!

MattCom
09-25-2008, 07:03 PM
Best of lucky Phil, kick some ashe.

Big George's BBQ
09-26-2008, 07:03 AM
I will not be at either but if you are given the opportunity to go to the Jack ou have to do it. You have to opportunity that others dream of. Have fun

LindaM
09-26-2008, 03:33 PM
Just wanted to let you guys know, this is not going to be a free for all in judging the Chefs Choice, Desert event. The reps are working hard with your very own organizer and Phil to iron out the rules. It seems it may take Dr. Phil to get it straight. The judges meeting alone will probably be an hour just so everyone understands how to score, and what to evaluate.

Transformer BBQ
09-26-2008, 04:01 PM
Maybe teams should attend that same meeting...

Jorge
09-26-2008, 04:54 PM
Hey you cookin a prime rib next week:)????

I'm thinking not, unless he has provided for his wife and children after he's left this world.8-)

SmokeInDaEye
09-26-2008, 06:50 PM
Maybe teams should attend that same meeting...

Excellent idea. I'd love to be part of the meeting so I can convey the info to those teams who will be competing.

Jeremiah
10-07-2008, 06:33 PM
I'll be there, need to spend the next couple weekends reviewing my packing list and practicing, I'm way out of touch.

Sledneck
10-08-2008, 05:56 PM
Sledcast

Saturday, Oct 25 http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/common/images/wxicons/blue_frcst_bg/22.gif
High: 36 °F RealFeel®: 30 °F
Colder with periods of snow, accumulating an additional 1-3 inches

Saturday Night, Oct 25

http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/common/images/wxicons/blue_night_bg/22.gif
Low: 24 °F RealFeel®: 7 °F
Windy with temperatures falling to near the record of 22 with periods of snow

Sunday, Oct 26

http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/common/images/wxicons/blue_frcst_bg/07.gif
High: 33 °F RealFeel®: 21 °F
Cloudy and breezy with a chance for snow

Sunday Night, Oct 26

http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/common/images/wxicons/blue_night_bg/26.gif
Low: 22 °F RealFeel®: 8 °F
Breezy with record-tying temperatures with snow, sleet, and freezing rain

Sledneck
10-08-2008, 06:00 PM
http://weblogs.newsday.com/features/food/blog/2008/10/bbq_brethren_on_cue_and_smokin.html
(http://weblogs.newsday.com/features/food/blog/2008/10/cipollini_in_manhasset_sound_i.html) BBQ Brethren on 'cue and smokin' at Sayville festival

http://weblogs.newsday.com/features/food/blog/cue.jpgIf barbeque gets you all fired up, think about marking your calendar for the weekend of Oct. 24 to 26, when the Sayville Fall Festival (http://www.greatersayvillechamber.com/)takes place at Gillette Park in Sayville. The event will be the scene of the Battle of the BBQ Brethren (http://bbqbattlli.com/), a New York State BBQ championship sanctioned by the Kansas City BBQ Society (http://www.kcbs.us/). Concurrently, there will be other food competitions - chocolate and cheese, to name two.
Festivities include live music, bbq sold by vendors, bbq demonstrations and lectures. On Friday, there will be a chili cook-off, on Saturday, a grilling and kids’ event and, on Sunday, the big bbq contest.
The Brethren are still accepting applications for competitors as well as judges; you can apply at http://www.bbqbattleli.com/. An informant tells me that both Will Breakstone (of much-missed Willie B's in Bay Shore) and bbq enthusiast/restaurateur John Cantwell (of the former Taste in Garden City) will participate.
Can't you just smell the ribs and brisket smoking in the autumn air?
-- Joan Reminick
Logo courtesy of BBQ Brethren

SmokeInDaEye
10-08-2008, 06:23 PM
Sledcast

Saturday, Oct 25 http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/common/images/wxicons/blue_frcst_bg/22.gif
High: 36 °F RealFeel®: 30 °F
Colder with periods of snow, accumulating an additional 1-3 inches

Saturday Night, Oct 25

http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/common/images/wxicons/blue_night_bg/22.gif
Low: 24 °F RealFeel®: 7 °F
Windy with temperatures falling to near the record of 22 with periods of snow

Sunday, Oct 26

http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/common/images/wxicons/blue_frcst_bg/07.gif
High: 33 °F RealFeel®: 21 °F
Cloudy and breezy with a chance for snow

Sunday Night, Oct 26

http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/common/images/wxicons/blue_night_bg/26.gif
Low: 22 °F RealFeel®: 8 °F
Breezy with record-tying temperatures with snow, sleet, and freezing rain

Thank goodness I just had central heating installed in my trailer!

Westexbbq
10-08-2008, 06:33 PM
Ah,
the wonders of cut and paste.
Gonna be a good time.

CTSmokehouse
10-08-2008, 09:13 PM
Thank goodness I just had central heating installed in my trailer!

Thank goodness I'll be cookin' on "The Twins"...2 BWS Fatboys... too bad they don't throw much heat...

Clint got your special smoking wood for you ...

Lookin' forward to Sayville!!!

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

BTW...I love cookin' while it snows!!!

SmokeInDaEye
10-08-2008, 09:18 PM
Thank goodness I'll be cookin' on "The Twins"...2 BWS Fatboys... too bad they don't throw much heat...

Clint got your special smoking wood for you ...

Lookin' forward to Sayville!!!

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

BTW...I love cookin' while it snows!!!

You can say that again, Cliff! Now if I only had this supposed Texas sausage from Jorge to cook over the special wood, we'd have a very special weekend in da snow!

CTSmokehouse
10-08-2008, 09:33 PM
You can say that again, Cliff! Now if I only had this supposed Texas sausage from Jorge to cook over the special wood, we'd have a very special weekend in da snow!

Hey Jorge....We need the special Texas sausage to cook over the special wood to cook as it snows on Sayville mod!!!

Help please!

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

Sledneck
10-09-2008, 02:40 AM
For those of you that have sent PM's regarding my sledcast and thought it was real:shock::shock::shock: DOH!!! On another note. whenever you speak or write about the contest from here on out please refer to it as "The Battle":biggrin:

Sledneck
10-09-2008, 02:41 AM
Hey Jorge....We need the special Texas sausage to cook over the special wood to cook as it snows on Sayville mod!!!

Help please!

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff Oops, was that what we were supposed to bring back from the Royal? Sorry but I will say that they were real tasty!

spicewine
10-09-2008, 08:02 AM
What are ya tryin' to do??? Freak out my Florida Buddy!!!

I'm wearing shorts!!:wink:

SmokeInDaEye
10-09-2008, 08:15 AM
What are ya tryin' to do??? Freak out my Florida Buddy!!!

I'm wearing shorts!!:wink:

Hey, shorts are a step up from Poobah's brisket turn-in attire. Looking forward to meeting you at The Battle Royale!

spicewine
10-09-2008, 08:39 AM
Back at ya Bro!! Jimmy and I are really looking forward to our little vacation. Can't wait!!

Spice

SmokeInDaEye
10-09-2008, 11:58 AM
So what's the deal with this kids Q I read about on Saturday? Also, are there any other rules for the grilling category or just the stuff in that email with the one pound sausage, pretty tables, etc.?

Sledneck
10-09-2008, 12:10 PM
So what's the deal with this kids Q I read about on Saturday? Also, are there any other rules for the grilling category or just the stuff in that email with the one pound sausage, pretty tables, etc.?
Due to lack of interest the kids que was canelled

SmokeInDaEye
10-09-2008, 02:41 PM
Due to lack of interest the kids que was canelled

Dang. I was looking forward to competing.

motoeric
10-09-2008, 03:15 PM
We didn't have the requisite interest in a competition with kids cooking, so we are turning things around and our Kids Q will be the competitors cooking kids.

It's a bit gruesome, yes, but it is right before Halloween.

Eric

Sledneck
10-09-2008, 03:18 PM
Dang. I was looking forward to competing.
I don't think you could of handled the rules:rolleyes::tongue:

spicewine
10-09-2008, 03:58 PM
We didn't have the requisite interest in a competition with kids cooking, so we are turning things around and our Kids Q will be the competitors cooking kids.

Eric

WOW!! I'm so glad i didn't throw out that recipe for Timmy Tar Tar!!

I'm in!!

Westexbbq
10-09-2008, 04:04 PM

Eric

Good, now for the Friday pot luck I can substitute "Three-toe pie".:icon_devil

motoeric
10-09-2008, 04:39 PM
Hello!

As I hope that you are aware, we are working with Breast Cancer Help as our charity of choice at the Battle of the BBQ Brethren.

A number of very generous donations were made to the charity for raffles to be held over the weekend. We would like to take a minute to thank the donors and let you know what is being raffled off.

There is one caveat. This is a list of what is PLANNED to be raffled. As some of the items are not yet in hand I am not guaranteeing that everything will be there.

On with the show:

Large Big Green Egg with Eggcessories from Big Green Egg

Open Range Smoker from Ace of Hearts BBQ

UDS from Shane and Wyatt (2 very generous members of the BBQ Brethren)

Thermometers from Thermoworks

Thermometers from Maverick

Various Sauces

Various BBQ Related Books

If you would like to donate something for the raffles your effort would be greatly appreciated. If you know someone that we should contact, please let us know.

Eric

SmokeInDaEye
10-09-2008, 07:17 PM
Good, now for the Friday pot luck I can substitute "Three-toe pie".:icon_devil

That's hilarious!

Seriously, though, if anyone other than sled and julie (I'm already tapping you two) have kids helping out at the contest, let me know. I'm hoping to film something for colin's next food network star tryout.

Sledneck
10-09-2008, 08:52 PM
That's hilarious!

Seriously, though, if anyone other than sled and julie (I'm already tapping you two) have kids helping out at the contest, let me know. I'm hoping to film something for colin's next food network star tryout.What I would like to see is a team of kids(supervised of course) take us on and do the KCBS and beat our asses:biggrin:

BigBarry
10-11-2008, 12:08 AM
For those of you that have sent PM's regarding my sledcast and thought it was real:shock::shock::shock: DOH!!! On another note. whenever you speak or write about the contest from here on out please refer to it as "The Battle":biggrin:

You SOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tricia is sitting here cursing - no F'en way are we sleeping onsite.

OK - now get us a REAL SledCast!

BigBarry
10-11-2008, 12:11 AM

Eric

I want a fat one. They self-baste!!!:eek::eek:

Sledneck
10-11-2008, 07:43 AM
You SOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tricia is sitting here cursing - no F'en way are we sleeping onsite.

OK - now get us a REAL SledCast!Its a bit early but here is the REAL Sledcast.This is not a goof. Go to accuweather and punch in sayville then go to days 11-15. Things change so I would not go by this but it is not that far off. That is why this is a sport ladies and gents

Friday, Oct 24
http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/common/images/wxicons/blue_frcst_bg/02.gif
High: 56 °F RealFeel®: 54 °F
Mostly sunny

Friday Night, Oct 24
http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/common/images/wxicons/blue_night_bg/35.gif
Low: 41 °F RealFeel®: 31 °F
Patchy clouds

Saturday, Oct 25
http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/common/images/wxicons/blue_frcst_bg/18.gif
High: 51 °F RealFeel®: 37 °F
Very windy; cold with rain

Saturday Night, Oct 25
http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/common/images/wxicons/blue_night_bg/29.gif
Low: 38 °F RealFeel®: 22 °F
Very windy; cold with rain mixing with snow

Sledneck
10-11-2008, 07:49 AM
THis from a different service
Fri, Oct 24 http://images.myforecast.com/images/my_forecast_icons/new_weather/small/sprinkles.gif
Sprinkles late. Mostly cloudy. Cool. 56°F 43°F 23 mph / N 76% 51°F Minimal 37% 0.05"

Sat, Oct 25 http://images.myforecast.com/images/my_forecast_icons/new_weather/small/rain.gif
Numerous showers. A mixture of sun and clouds. Cool. 52°F 42°F 40 mph / W 72% 44°F Minimal 100% 0.73"

MilitantSquatter
10-11-2008, 09:21 AM
is that with the wind chill factor ??

Bonus question - What is your forecast for the Dow Jones avg. this week ? How about temps in Lynchburg for the Jack ?

Sledneck
10-11-2008, 09:23 AM
is that with the wind chill factor ??

Bonus question - What is your forecast for the Dow Jones avg. this week ? How about temps in Lynchburg for the Jack ?The wind chill is the real feel Dow jones will be up thgen down then up then down. Lynchburg will be chilly, 50s in the day 30s at night

Frank Sacco
10-13-2008, 09:37 PM

Thanks!

Eric

Eric,
For planning purposes, what day would you need us to cook the butts? Also, who/where do we need to pick them up from?

motoeric
10-13-2008, 09:52 PM
Eric,
For planning purposes, what day would you need us to cook the butts? Also, who/where do we need to pick them up from?

As long as you let me know at the cooks meeting that you are willing, I will have someone deliver it right to you.

I will need some on both Saturday and Sunday, so if you were able to volunteer for either it would help.

Thanks,

Eric

Frank Sacco
10-14-2008, 06:55 AM
Sweet deal, I think Saturday will work out best for us.

Rockaway BeachBQ
10-14-2008, 06:55 PM
Eric,

I would love to cook some butts for you friday night. I plan on doing a test cook anyway.

Thaddeus

motoeric
10-14-2008, 09:50 PM
Thank you. That would be great.

Eric

motoeric
10-17-2008, 10:21 PM
So, who is in for the Potluck and what are you making.

I'm putting in an early request for Skippy Burgers.

If (and this is a big if) I have time, I'm going to make ABT's and maybe some other appetizer type of deal. If I do, I'll need space on someones grill or smoker On the other hand, I'm probably going to be crazy busy Thursday and Friday. Maybe I'll just buy some dessert type stuff.

Eric

Sledneck
10-17-2008, 11:14 PM

If (and this is a big if) I have time, I'm going to make ABT's and maybe some other appetizer type of deal. If I do, I'll need space on someones grill or smoker On the other hand, I'm probably going to be crazy busy Thursday and Friday. Maybe I'll just buy some dessert type stuff.

Erickeep dreaming skip will be in washington dc on fri till sat

motoeric
10-18-2008, 03:39 PM
Hi,

The tee shirts for the event look pretty sweet. If those who aren't going to be able to attend would like to get one, let me know and I will try to get the Chamber to hold some on the side.

I believe that they will be $15.00 and they go up to 3x.

I'll try to post a picture asap.

Eric

Frank Sacco
10-18-2008, 07:02 PM

Eric

Blazin Nuttz will be cooking up some grub. Not sure exactly what platter we're bringing at this point. Tomorrow afternoon we're having a team get together to make our final arrangements for the comp. More info to follow tomorrow night.

Bob S
10-18-2008, 07:20 PM
Blazin Nuttz will be cooking up some grub. Not sure exactly what platter we're bringing at this point. Tomorrow afternoon we're having a team get together to make our final arrangements for the comp. More info to follow tomorrow night.

I have a few points in the freezer and I'm thinking about making burnt ends. We'll decide tomorrow for sure.

exhorns
10-18-2008, 10:20 PM
What time is the potluck? Will be pulling in around 8pm on Friday, and can maybe do some dessert, not sure if I'll be too late to take part. Got some setting up to do and want to get it done early before I crash. ex

Frank Sacco
10-18-2008, 10:58 PM
What time is the potluck? Will be pulling in around 8pm on Friday, and can maybe do some dessert, not sure if I'll be too late to take part. Got some setting up to do and want to get it done early before I crash. ex

Julie recommended an 8:00 start for dinner.

motoeric
10-18-2008, 11:04 PM
8:00 pm is the turn in for the chili. That really shouldn't impact anyone too much. You might want to make it 8:15 for anyone who wants to compete or 8:30 or so if you want to include organizers or reps.

Eric

Sledneck
10-19-2008, 07:04 AM
Sledcast
Friday, Oct 24
http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/common/images/wxicons/blue_frcst_bg/02.gif
High: 56 °F RealFeel®: 51 °F
Mostly sunny

Friday Night, Oct 24
http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/common/images/wxicons/blue_night_bg/34.gif
Low: 44 °F RealFeel®: 36 °F
Mainly clear and breezy

Saturday, Oct 25
http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/common/images/wxicons/blue_frcst_bg/06.gif
High: 62 °F RealFeel®: 56 °F
Clouds and breaks of sun

Saturday Night, Oct 25
http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/common/images/wxicons/blue_night_bg/35.gif
Low: 50 °F RealFeel®: 44 °F
Partly cloudy

Sunday, Oct 26
http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/common/images/wxicons/blue_frcst_bg/06.gif
High: 62 °F RealFeel®: 55 °F
Mostly cloudy

Sunday Night, Oct 26
http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/common/images/wxicons/blue_night_bg/18.gif
Low: 55 °F RealFeel®: 50 °F
Rain

Bob S
10-19-2008, 07:46 AM
The Sledcast keeps improving! I hope the rain stays away. :-D

exhorns
10-19-2008, 08:27 AM
I'll keep an eye on the posts. Just looking to meet and hang for a bit. From what I've heard it sounds like you guys make a good time of it. ex

Frank Sacco
10-19-2008, 09:17 AM
8:00 pm is the turn in for the chili. That really shouldn't impact anyone too much. You might want to make it 8:15 for anyone who wants to compete or 8:30 or so if you want to include organizers or reps.

Eric

So lets plan for the 8:00 Chili turn in and 8:30 Pot Luck Meet & Greet. Eric will there be a common area for the teams to gather at or should we hold it on a team site?

WannaBeBBQueen
10-19-2008, 09:32 AM
So lets plan for the 8:00 Chili turn in and 8:30 Pot Luck Meet & Greet. Eric will there be a common area for the teams to gather at or should we hold it on a team site?

8:30 sounds great! Last year we put some separate table under a canopy for the potluck, I'm sure we can do something similar...if it's too cold we can have in our carport, we'll have heat, just bring chairs :biggrin:

rbsnwngs
10-19-2008, 10:24 AM
just chairs no beer

Jeremiah
10-19-2008, 02:31 PM
Anyone know what time you have to be there by on Saturday morning in order to bring your vehicle (temporarily) on the lot? I remember there were restrictions with this last year having to do with getting this done prior to a certain time when the festival became officially open to the public.

I would like to come Friday night but given my work schedule and that of some of my teammates it looks like it's going to have to be Saturday morning.

Smoker'sLoungeBBQ
10-19-2008, 03:00 PM
Anyone know what time you have to be there by on Saturday morning in order to bring your vehicle (temporarily) on the lot? I remember there were restrictions with this last year having to do with getting this done prior to a certain time when the festival became officially open to the public.

I would like to come Friday night but given my work schedule and that of some of my teammates it looks like it's going to have to be Saturday morning.

If memory serves it was like 8 am to pm that the roads were shut last year, however I think you can get in through Collins Ave, which runs parrallel to Gilette at any time.

motoeric
10-19-2008, 03:05 PM
If memory serves it was like 8 am to pm that the roads were shut last year, however I think you can get in through Collins Ave, which runs parrallel to Gilette at any time.

That is absolutely correct. Please keep in mind though that if you plan on trying to bring a vehicle into any area past the first row along Collins or inward of the back row along the fence you HAVE to be there prior to 8am on Saturday.

Eric

Smoker'sLoungeBBQ
10-19-2008, 03:55 PM
Question for Eric: When should we expect our cook's packet/itinerary, etc? I could of sworn you said it was going out the other day but I have not received it yet.

motoeric
10-19-2008, 04:41 PM
Question for Eric: When should we expect our cook's packet/itinerary, etc? I could of sworn you said it was going out the other day but I have not received it yet.

I have had a number of emails bounce back. Please send an email to: saberinc@verizon.net and I will reply with the grilling rules. A full itinerary will be going out tomorrow.

I also just sent out an email a few minutes ago with general notes to all the teams.

Eric

Smoker'sLoungeBBQ
10-19-2008, 04:43 PM
Thanks Eric! I just got the one you just sent out...

CTSmokehouse
10-20-2008, 07:45 AM
That is absolutely correct. Please keep in mind though that if you plan on trying to bring a vehicle into any area past the first row along Collins or inward of the back row along the fence you HAVE to be there prior to 8am on Saturday.

Eric

How does one find out where their assigned spot is? I had planned to come after work on Saturday (1PM plus 2.5 hours = 3:30 to 4PM arival).

Alteratively I could drop off the equipment afterwork on Friday. Drive back to CT Friday night and then return to LI on Saturday.... adding another 5 hours of driving...

What is the best route to Sayville for a Honda Pilot pulling an 5x8 trailer after getting off the Throgs Neck bridge? Is there a way to avoid the Cross Island Parkway? What roads allow trailers?

Your help is appreciated.

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

Sledneck
10-20-2008, 08:00 AM
How does one find out where their assigned spot is? I had planned to come after work on Saturday (1PM plus 2.5 hours = 3:30 to 4PM arival).

Alteratively I could drop off the equipment afterwork on Friday. Drive back to CT Friday night and then return to LI on Saturday.... adding another 5 hours of driving...

What is the best route to Sayville for a Honda Pilot pulling an 5x8 trailer after getting off the Throgs Neck bridge? Is there a way to avoid the Cross Island Parkway? What roads allow trailers?

Your help is appreciated.

Yours in BBQ,

CliffYou cannot get on the cross island with a trailer you ave to take the clearview expressway. Take the clearview to LIE east to exite 57 (454 vets highway) when you get off make a right on 454. Take that to lakeland ave(country road 93) and make a right. Follow to end and you will be in sayville. I do not see why you would not be able to come at 4:00 on saturday.Not sure but i believe you will get your spot assignment when you get there

CTSmokehouse
10-20-2008, 08:28 AM
You cannot get on the cross island with a trailer you ave to take the clearview expressway. Take the clearview to LIE east to exite 57 (454 vets highway) when you get off make a right on 454. Take that to lakeland ave(country road 93) and make a right. Follow to end and you will be in sayville. I do not see why you would not be able to come at 4:00 on saturday.Not sure but i believe you will get your spot assignment when you get there

Thanks Sled.

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

BTW My concern is if I will be able to get to the assigned spot on Saturday afternoon or if I have to do plan B...

Sledneck
10-21-2008, 09:09 AM
Sledcast

Saturday, Oct 25
http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/common/images/wxicons/blue_frcst_bg/04.gif
High: 62 °F RealFeel®: 56 °F
Breezy with times of sun and clouds

Saturday Night, Oct 25
http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/common/images/wxicons/blue_night_bg/38.gif
Low: 50 °F RealFeel®: 44 °F
Mostly cloudy with a little rain late

Sunday, Oct 26
High: 62 °F RealFeel®: 55 °F
Mostly cloudy with a chance of rain

Sunday Night, Oct 26
http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/common/images/wxicons/blue_night_bg/40.gif
Low: 49 °F RealFeel®: 39 °F
Evening rain; clouds breaking, windy

JimDandysNYDan
10-22-2008, 09:59 AM
Hey Guys & Gals,
We are both looking forward to meeting all of you at the Battle.....Good luck to all. If there ius anything we can do to help, let us know...

Dan & Jim

BobBrisket
10-22-2008, 10:48 AM
Damn..........I wish I lived closer!!:twisted: I'd be there in a heartbeat. You all better take lots of pics for the rest of us non-attendees!:sad:

WannaBeBBQueen
10-22-2008, 11:07 AM
Hey Guys & Gals,
We are both looking forward to meeting all of you at the Battle.....Good luck to all. If there ius anything we can do to help, let us know...

Dan & Jim

Make sure you stop by Swamp Pit and introduce yourselves, we love to meet new friends, that's what makes contest so great...nothing about cooking or judges...lol :biggrin:

JimDandysNYDan
10-22-2008, 11:10 AM
Looking forward to meeting you again Julie....We met you at the Ribfest in New Paltz and also in Westport CT at the Blues, Views & BBQ event....you're the one that referred me to this site and I want to thank you for that.....See you this weekend and good luck to all.

spicewine
10-22-2008, 02:24 PM
Cracker and I fly out tomorrow and will hit JFK about 5:30pm. Can't wait to hoist a few with some new friends. Keep that foul weather at bay!! My little Cracker Buddy doesn't own a coat!!!

See some of you tomorrow!!

Spice

Sledneck
10-22-2008, 02:36 PM
Make sure you stop by Swamp Pit and introduce yourselves, we love to meet new friends, that's what makes contest so great...nothing about cooking or judges...lol :biggrin:

Looking forward to meeting you again Julie....We met you at the Ribfest in New Paltz and also in Westport CT at the Blues, Views & BBQ event....you're the one that referred me to this site and I want to thank you for that.....See you this weekend and good luck to all.
I would ignore her this weekend just based on the fact that she forgot you:biggrin:

bbqbull
10-22-2008, 05:34 PM
I will be there and at the Jack in Spirit for the brethren!

Yakfishingfool
10-22-2008, 08:10 PM
Jay, where are you flying through? I leave at 6am to Detroit then nashville. Scot

motoeric
10-22-2008, 08:59 PM
Cracker and I fly out tomorrow and will hit JFK about 5:30pm. Can't wait to hoist a few with some new friends. Keep that foul weather at bay!! My little Cracker Buddy doesn't own a coat!!!

Spice

You guys are arriving Thursday?

Eric

WannaBeBBQueen
10-23-2008, 07:04 AM
You guys are arriving Thursday?

Eric

Yes, late thursday afternoon:biggrin:

BigBarry
10-23-2008, 07:25 AM

Spice

In all seriousness, If Jimmy needs a coat, I can lend him one. 3-4XL tall. Let me know.

Greg

spicewine
10-23-2008, 08:11 AM
Try 5X Barry:-D Thanks for the offer!!

Transformer BBQ
10-23-2008, 08:26 AM
I have had a number of emails bounce back. Please send an email to: saberinc@verizon.net and I will reply with the grilling rules. A full itinerary will be going out tomorrow.

I also just sent out an email a few minutes ago with general notes to all the teams.

Eric

Was there something sent out after the 'general notes' on the 19th?

WannaBeBBQueen
10-23-2008, 08:29 AM
nothing was sent out after the 19th...:biggrin:

U2CANQUE
10-23-2008, 08:32 AM
would love to make this one....will be on for next year though!!

WannaBeBBQueen
10-23-2008, 08:32 AM
I would ignore her this weekend just based on the fact that she forgot you:biggrin:

Did not forget...just had not seen the picture...sorry we can't all be like you and know everybody's names:tongue: or when they signed up to the forum.

Everyone is welcome at the SwampPit:biggrin:

Sledneck
10-23-2008, 09:47 AM
Did not forget...just had not seen the picture...sorry we can't all be like you and know everybody's names:tongue: or when they signed up to the forum.

Everyone is welcome at the SwampPit:biggrin:do you still want me to bring the "hello my name is : tags:rolleyes:

JimDandysNYDan
10-23-2008, 10:27 AM
Now, now can't we all get along???????

Jacked UP BBQ
10-23-2008, 12:23 PM
Any good strip clubs locally for friday night??? Outside of Hempstead!!!

Sledneck
10-23-2008, 12:27 PM
Any good strip clubs locally for friday night??? Outside of Hempstead!!!I doubt it. I do not know though. I used to build strip clubs and since then have had no desire to go to one. :eek:

Jacked UP BBQ
10-23-2008, 12:30 PM
I doubt it. I do not know though. I used to build strip clubs and since then have had no desire to go to one. :eek:

Well if we cant go to them, we will have them come to us.:lol:

rbsnwngs
10-23-2008, 01:02 PM
I might be able to help in this area. From the very bad to the not so bad

Sledneck
10-23-2008, 01:13 PM
This is a family event I do not condone it

Jacked UP BBQ
10-23-2008, 01:21 PM
This is a family event I do not condone it

Put the kids to bed and lets get the ladies working!:-P

Jacked UP BBQ
10-23-2008, 01:23 PM
this is a BBQ contest, there should be nothing wrong with rubbing some butts and racks

Sledneck
10-23-2008, 01:26 PM
Not for us church goin folks.Hopefully the reverend willy b will have his sermon all ready for Sunday mornin

rbsnwngs
10-23-2008, 01:27 PM
I will preach the ways of BBQ

Smoker'sLoungeBBQ
10-23-2008, 01:28 PM
Any good strip clubs locally for friday night??? Outside of Hempstead!!!

Actually there's one right on the same road as the competition about 3 miles away. It's kind of a skank fest (but really, aren't they all?) but it is local...now all we have to do is find someone who's gonna be sober enough Friday night to drive there (Shotgun not me!)

Sledneck
10-23-2008, 01:32 PM
Why do we have 2 sayville threads going?

Jacked UP BBQ
10-23-2008, 01:32 PM
Actually there's one right on the same road as the competition about 3 miles away. It's kind of a skank fest (but really, aren't they all?) but it is local...now all we have to do is find someone who's gonna be sober enough Friday night to drive there (Shotgun not me!)

I'll take a cab! I'm in!

Transformer BBQ
10-23-2008, 01:38 PM
Why do we have 2 sayville threads going?

one of them is a thread where you aren't allowed to talk about Sayville... but I forget which one that is.

Sledneck
10-23-2008, 01:39 PM
one of them is a tread where you aren't allowed to talk about Sayville... but I forget which one that is.I think its time for a 3rd one

Smoker'sLoungeBBQ
10-23-2008, 01:42 PM
I'll take a cab! I'm in!

Stop by the Smoker's Lounge Friday night and I'll give you the name/directions (and a pre-emptive shot of penicillin).

Lakeside Smoker
10-23-2008, 01:49 PM
one of them is a tread where you aren't allowed to talk about Sayville... but I forget which one that is.

Hahahhahahha!!! Now THAT'S farking funny! :-D

Sledneck
10-23-2008, 02:16 PM
If anybody is cooking this weekend and has some 151 rum please PM me.

motoeric
10-23-2008, 02:21 PM
Hi,

George Duran of the Food Network (Ham on the Street and The Secret Life of..) will be joining us on Saturday.

He will be helping to judge the onsite categories and may be MC'ing the awards ceremony.

Be sure to say 'hi'.

Eric

Frank Sacco
10-23-2008, 02:38 PM
Hi,

George Duran of the Food Network (Ham on the Street and Unwrapped) will be joining us on Saturday.

He will be helping to judge the onsite categories and may be MC'ing the awards ceremony.

Be sure to say 'hi'.

Eric

Good deal! Do ya think George knows what a fatties is?

motoeric
10-23-2008, 02:57 PM

Based on this from an episode of Ham on the Street I would venture to guess that he won't be surprised:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9d-xQUenAU

Eric

WannaBeBBQueen
10-23-2008, 05:42 PM
I will preach the ways of BBQ

Don't forget your bible:biggrin:

Solidkick
10-23-2008, 05:48 PM
Depends on if he goes with OC and Smoker on Friday night, there's a good chance he could wake up to one or with one.....:eek:

(going back to MoFoland now....sorry to jump in to the thread.....)