07-01-2008, 12:20 PM
this thread is for information and questions about the event
please post chatter and commentary in the 'Roll Call' thread

Battle of the BBQ Brethren

presented by the
Greater Sayville Chamber of Commerce

Sayville, Long Island; New York

Oct. 24 - 26, 2008

Applications for Cooks and Judges is now up at www.bbqbattleli.com (http://www.bbqbattleli.com)

This is a registered State Championship, with proclamation from Governor David Patterson.

This event is sanctioned by the KCBS and we hope to have NEBS sanctioning ASAP.

Friday: Set-up and Chili
Saturday: Grilling and Kids Q
Sunday: BBQ

Event Reps: Linda Mullane and Don Lovely

Last years event was sold out. We have more room this year, but please sign up as early as possible. We expect slots to sell quickly.

Our goal is to make the Battle of the BBQ Brethren the most cook friendly event in America. We have ambitious goals and we are working hard to provide more amenities than last year, which included:

Goodie Bag
Clean-up assistance
Team dinner
Team breakfast
Ice delivery
Free gallon of drinking water
Live music
and more

We look forward to seeing as many Brethren at this event as possible.

Eric Devlin

motoeric
07-01-2008, 01:29 PM
The Event Organizers handling the BBQ aspects of the Sayville Fall Festival are donating two of their 'lots' at the event to Breast Cancer Help, Inc.

They are a fantastic charity and do wonderful work raising funds for needed programs and equipment.

Last year we helped them to raise over $6,000.00. We hope to exceed that this year. There will be raffles and other fundraising activities. If you can help in any way, please let me know.

If you would be willing to help out with a demonstration on anything remotely BBQ related for the public, please let us know.

Making rubs, types of sauces, how to pull pork, side dishes; whatever you can help with would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Eric

motoeric
07-08-2008, 02:37 AM
For those that are interested, we are working on providing the availability of purchasing private porta-potties for the event.

We are also working on having a judging and cooking class prior to the event.

-The classes and the porta-potties have nothing to do with each other-

WannaBeBBQueen
07-08-2008, 05:40 AM
For those that are interested, we are working on providing the availability of purchasing private porta-potties for the event.

so now how much would a personal porta-potty cost????lol and where would the placement be? lol

motoeric
07-08-2008, 02:43 PM
I will announce the cost as soon as I have it and you can have it placed next to your spot and attach a lock to it (you supply the lock).

HolySmoke
07-08-2008, 03:56 PM
this is a great idea, will they be the same type as last year?? beats that walk to potty lane.

Frank Sacco
07-08-2008, 09:16 PM
Eric,
Thanks for all your dedication and hard work to put this event together. Last year was outstanding, job well done.

motoeric
07-08-2008, 10:56 PM
Eric,
Thanks for all your dedication and hard work to put this event together. Last year was outstanding, job well done.

I'm happy to help out, but I get too much credit. The Chamber does all the heavy lifting and people like Sled, Phil, Greg et all put in a lot of time and effort.

Eric

Frank Sacco
07-09-2008, 06:33 PM
I'm happy to help out, but I get too much credit. The Chamber does all the heavy lifting and people like Sled, Phil, Greg et all put in a lot of time and effort.

Eric

Hats off to Sled, Poobah and Greg.

Sledneck
07-09-2008, 09:00 PM
Hats off to Sled, Poobah and Greg.
Nah no hats for us, if not for Willie B we would not be having this discussion

rbsnwngs
07-10-2008, 07:02 AM
dont thank me i'm not involved It's all Eric and the chamber

motoeric
07-17-2008, 12:54 PM
Ok, for those that are interested; personal porta-pottie rentals are possible. I think it's exorbitant, but I believe the fee is $250.00. I will confirm that.

Eric

SmokeInDaEye
07-17-2008, 01:37 PM
Ok, for those that are interested; personal porta-pottie rentals are possible. I think it's exorbitant, but I believe the fee is $250.00. I will confirm that.

Eric

Nah, I can get my own for a $0.25.

When you arrive, take the quarter, put it in the little notch on the little occupied/empty wheel on the door of one of their porta-potties and flip to occupied, thus locking the door and ensuring your private bathroom remains empty and CLEAN for your next visit.

HolySmoke
07-17-2008, 02:40 PM
Nah, I can get my own for a $0.25.

When you arrive, take the quarter, put it in the little notch on the little occupied/empty wheel on the door of one of their porta-potties and flip to occupied, thus locking the door and ensuring your private bathroom remains empty and CLEAN for your next visit.

now that's a great idea, i might stick a noise maker in mine so nobody knocks looking to use it...:wink:

Sledneck
07-17-2008, 03:15 PM
at the last grill kings in elmont they provided a port a potty for each person no extra charge

timzcardz
07-28-2008, 07:48 AM
A couple of questions for clarification about the Grilling part of the competition:

1. Since KCBS rules are being followed both days of the comp, does that mean that standard turn-in boxes are being used for everything in the grilling comp including the Pizza and Dessert?

2. For the "Fatty" turn-in, is stuffing or wrapping the Fatty with something permitted?

3. For the "Dessert" turn-in is garnish "limited to chopped, sliced, shredded or whole leaves of fresh green lettuce, curly parsley, flat leaf parsley and/or cilantro"?

Enquiring minds want to know.

mfalco
08-02-2008, 10:34 PM
May be a dumb question, but what is "Fatty?

Also not sure how I can fit a pizza in a standard KCBS Box

MilitantSquatter
08-02-2008, 10:42 PM
May be a dumb question, but what is "Fatty?

Also not sure how I can fit a pizza in a standard KCBS Box

1) Fatty FAQ (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=121385&postcount=11)

2) Not sure of the rules for the pizza.. Maybe Open presentation in real Pizza box or Mini Pizza ?

HolySmoke
08-03-2008, 07:08 AM
maybe another crazy question but couldn't filling a fatty a certian way be considered marking?

SmokeInDaEye
08-03-2008, 10:58 AM
How can I fit six identifable pieces of an Iron Chef into a turn-in box?

MattCom
08-03-2008, 12:18 PM
maybe another crazy question but couldn't filling a fatty a certian way be considered marking?

From you? Crazy indeed. What exactly do you plan to do to the fattie?:icon_shock1:
I'm thinking Peanut butter and Jelly.

mfalco
08-04-2008, 09:31 AM
1) Fatty FAQ (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=121385&postcount=11)

2) Not sure of the rules for the pizza.. Maybe Open presentation in real Pizza box or Mini Pizza ?

Thanks for the info - my mind is going on what I can do to change what might be natures perfect food

Regarding the Pizza and Iron Chef portion - I'm all for open garnish - let's have the competitors strech their creative legs a bit - why be so rigid?

motoeric
08-05-2008, 09:39 PM
Hello!

Sorry to have not answered earlier. I am waiting on word from NEBS regarding some garnish questions (specifically for dessert and Iron Chef). As soon as I hear back I will post the info.

We have some fun and interesting plans and I don't want to give any wrong answers before I hear back from the good people at NEBS.

Thanks!

Eric

motoeric
09-14-2008, 10:01 PM
There will be a posting shortly that will answer Tims questions in post 19.

I wanted to let everyone know that the Sayville Chamber has arranged to have rooms available for our use at $99 a night at the Holiday Inn adjacent to Islip Macarthur Airport.

I will have the promotion code for those that need it tomorrow.

Eric

rbsnwngs
09-15-2008, 06:40 AM
how many teams have singed up so far

U2CANQUE
09-15-2008, 08:53 AM
wish that we could make it, but, the following weekend heading down to Shelby NC for the contest down there.....gotta get in that last fix before snow flies.....
But, anyone interested in heading to FL sometime this winter for a contest or two?

timzcardz
09-15-2008, 11:04 AM
how many teams have singed up so far

Why do you ask?

Does this competition have a reputation for burning the contestants? :wink:

spicewine
09-15-2008, 11:19 AM
Cracker and I are looking forward to meeting all of you!!! We fly in on Thursday and fly back out on Monday.

Spice

Sledneck
09-15-2008, 11:55 AM
last I heard 30 teams

beerguy
09-15-2008, 12:01 PM
Cracker and I are looking forward to meeting all of you!!! We fly in on Thursday and fly back out on Monday.

Spice

I bet the airline charges extra for a "carry-on" medium spicebox!

motoeric
09-15-2008, 02:58 PM
$99.00 per night. Promo code Z04

Nice hotel, clean, about four miles from the event. Plenty of parking (even for oversize vehicles).

Holiday Inn
3845 Veterans Memorial Highway
Ronkonkoma, NY 11779

631 585 9500
www.holidayinn.com/longislandny

Eric

Frank Sacco
09-15-2008, 08:56 PM
Any insite if the merry go round and super slide will be on premise again?

SmokeInDaEye
09-15-2008, 09:02 PM

Yes, I will be there.

motoeric
09-15-2008, 10:45 PM

I'm not exactly sure what the final breakdown will be, but there will be less rides and such and the judging and bands will be in the park with the competitors as opposed to across the street like last year.

Eric

Smoker'sLoungeBBQ
09-16-2008, 11:52 AM
Starting to get pretty pumped for the competition! Any idea when the official website will be updated with the 2008 teams listing and an updated fall festival/BBQ contest flyer?

MrsBigBarry
09-16-2008, 12:14 PM
How can I fit six identifable pieces of an Iron Chef into a turn-in box?

Tattoo the chef's name onto each of the portions :wink:

motoeric
09-16-2008, 05:26 PM
The grilling rules were just emailed to all of the teams that have signed up for the Battle of the BBQ Brethren.

A few email addy's were dead.

If you did NOT receive a copy, please send me an email and I will reply with the rules. saberinc@verizon.net

Thanks!

Eric

HolySmoke
09-16-2008, 07:30 PM
The grilling rules were just emailed to all of the teams that have signed up for the Battle of the BBQ Brethren.

A few email addy's were dead.

If you did NOT receive a copy, please send me an email and I will reply with the rules. saberinc@verizon.net

Thanks!

Eric

Yeah we just got the email, Hot Dogs? Optional settings? Looks like the grilling just went down hill... maybe we need to add a lemonade category. looking foward to Sunday:twisted:

Frank Sacco
09-16-2008, 08:26 PM
Starting to get pretty pumped for the competition! Any idea when the official website will be updated with the 2008 teams listing and an updated fall festival/BBQ contest flyer?

Kevin, Looking forward to seeing you guys again. Bring your A game and a Keg. We're trying to cut back on expenses, we'll drink from your pocket!!!

exhorns
09-16-2008, 08:30 PM
Yeah. I kinda feel the same way. Was looking foward to the grilling comp, but it seems like MIM just rolled into town. It's gonna be our first competiton and are not prepared to deal with judges at the tent. Not crying about it, just wish I knew that up front, and would have sat out on grilling. I don't know if we will even compete in grilling now. Email didn't include any times? Don't feel as if we're ready for it. Good luck to those psyched about it. Sorry. I'm just disappointed.

MilitantSquatter
09-16-2008, 08:38 PM
I'm not up to speed on the categories & rules but aren't hot dogs pre-cooked :confused:

Frank Sacco
09-16-2008, 08:40 PM
Yeah. I kinda feel the same way. Was looking foward to the grilling comp, but it seems like MIM just rolled into town. It's gonna be our first competiton and are not prepared to deal with judges at the tent. Not crying about it, just wish I knew that up front, and would have sat out on grilling. I don't know if we will even compete in grilling now. Email didn't include any times? Don't feel as if we're ready for it. Good luck to those psyched about it.

Don't worry about the judges, go for it. Backing out is easy, compete and see how you make out. You 'll have a great time.
As for the times, they will be given out at the cooks meeting.

SmokeInDaEye
09-16-2008, 09:05 PM
Eric, I'm happy to speak, help, whatever offline but I personally will not be competing in the grilling contest this year.

I'm still on board to do a demo and you all can keep my grilling fee but you all are over thinking this thing. For the record, I cannot express my praise of this contest and all that you and the fellow brethren have done to build this, butttttt...

I still don't understand the fatty category and am going to get slapped by Phil again, but it's a sausage category. No casing makes no sense. The size makes no sense.

Hot dog is what it is if you have the sponsor. I'm good with that. But then we have three more categories plus some sort of on-site judging??? Pizza, chef's choice, then dessert? I've competed in MIM contests and it's a huge focus many teams won't take a day before doing KCBS categories.

Again, I'm here to add input as are other brethren. We have a month to go.

deez20
09-16-2008, 09:24 PM
I've got 2 questions on the grilling. Can the fatty be wrapped in something? I've got an idea that I want to try but requires wrapping, sort of like a fatty wellington.

Second question. The iron chef portion is now the chef's choice?

Frank Sacco
09-16-2008, 09:29 PM
I've got 2 questions on the grilling. Can the fatty be wrapped in something? I've got an idea that I want to try but requires wrapping, sort of like a fatty wellington.

Second question. The iron chef portion is now the chef's choice?

The fatty can be wrapped, stuffed, sliced or diced as long as it weighs 1lb or greater and doesn't have a casing

Smokin J
09-16-2008, 10:49 PM
I always look forward to the grilling competitions....... when it includes wings, steak, pork chop, fish ect.....

Fattie and Pizza are ok too, if they were in addition to some of the other categories.

I'm sure it will be a lot of fun, but I just can't get myself excited about cooking a hot dog or a dessert, and have to shmooze a judge in our area.

Maybe next year we can vote on what the grill competition categories will be.

pigmaker23
09-17-2008, 07:39 AM
its not to late to change the whole program is it ?, with some teams making a long trip to compete it only seems fair that a proper grilling event is offered, also this event will not count for NEBS points. Seems like there was way to much thought in putting this together, Keep it Simple

Sledneck
09-17-2008, 07:45 AM
its not to late to change the whole program is it ?, with some teams making a long trip to compete it only seems fair that a proper grilling event is offered, also this event will not count for NEBS points. Seems like there was way to much thought in putting this together, Keep it SimpleWhy change it? What is not proper about it?

timzcardz
09-17-2008, 07:45 AM
Well I for one am looking forward to the grilling, and based on what I am reading here it is beginning to look like we will win . . . albeit by default!

This whole judging at the site thing fits right into our overall game plan, which is to have fun. Looking forward to what should be a blast.

P.S. Why knock the only game in town . . . when it hasn't even happened yet? Is grilling a hot dog going to take that much out of your game for Sunday's turn-ins?

Obviously, Sabrett has taken at least a minimum interest in this event. Having a brand name sponsor is good for the future of this or any event. Any Company showing an interest is something that should be embraced, if not for the present, then at least for the future potential. Maybe Premio or another company will take notice and provide sausage next year.

pigmaker23
09-17-2008, 07:54 AM
Hot Dogs ? Iron Chef ? On Site Judging ? its a circus, not a contest.

Why change it? What is not proper about it?

timzcardz
09-17-2008, 08:04 AM

Damn you!

That is the exact thing that I've been working on since I asked back on 07/28 "For the "Fatty" turn-in, is stuffing or wrapping the Fatty with something permitted?"

And yes, my wife thinks I'm nuts when I talk about Fatty Wellington.

rookiedad
09-17-2008, 08:09 AM
if i am correct the grilling event that is in question requires an entry fee. to remedy this controversy why not have a standard grilling event per the fee, and hold the present one simultaniously and complementary. IMHO this should give everyone a choice, the ability to do both and provide more opportunitys for having fun. take what i say for what its worth though, i gotta work saturdays and don't show up till 11:00pm!

Sledneck
09-17-2008, 09:02 AM
Hot Dogs ? Iron Chef ? On Site Judging ? its a circus, not a contest.
Easy solution. If you do not like then don't compete. I could see you bashing it after the fact if it didnt work out but before it happens? Nobody is forcing you to participate. You are out of line

Westexbbq
09-17-2008, 09:53 AM
Hey y'all.
I am really saddened to read some of this stuff this morning.
I believe that perhaps too much is being read into the guidelines.
There have been several meeting on this and other topics over the past year and believe me, nobody was looking to make this more complicated; the idea was and still is to have some fun with this whole thing.
Why not re-condsider some postitions per above and give it a shot for the sake of giving it a shot? ; we're not talking rocket surgery here, just some guidelines to have some fun and creativity. If it doesn't work out or needs some tweaking and refinements for next year, I am sure all comments and input etc. will be well recieved.
Regards to all,
Wes

deez20
09-17-2008, 09:58 AM
Damn you!

That is the exact thing that I've been working on since I asked back on 07/28 "For the "Fatty" turn-in, is stuffing or wrapping the Fatty with something permitted?"

And yes, my wife thinks I'm nuts when I talk about Fatty Wellington.

It sounds like a good concept in my head although I haven't tried it out yet. If you google fatty wellington the first link has a picture of one and it looks pretty good. We can have a battle of the fatty wellington come October. :-P

timzcardz
09-17-2008, 10:02 AM
It sounds like a good concept in my head although I haven't tried it out yet. If you google fatty wellington the first link has a picture of one and it looks pretty good. We can have a battle of the fatty wellington come October. :-P

And I thought that it was such an obscure idea that I never even thought of googling it!

pigmaker23
09-17-2008, 11:57 AM
I'm not bashing it, and I'm not cooking it, its just my opinion, and since when did you become the sentinal of this forum ? :-P

Easy solution. If you do not like then don't compete. I could see you bashing it after the fact if it didnt work out but before it happens? Nobody is forcing you to participate. You are out of line

Sledneck
09-17-2008, 12:03 PM
I'm not bashing it, and I'm not cooking it, its just my opinion, and since when did you become the sentinal of this forum ? :-P
I am very sensitive when it comes to my home contest. Seems like a lot of complaining about an event out here can dismantle it quickly.:rolleyes: You are entitled to your opinion. Are you not tired tired of the same old thing? Sarcastic----->Here we go, give me my (4) 9x9 and some standard garnish ughhhh.That is what Sunday if for. Who knows you might just end up liking it.:tongue:

edit: I read your post wrong, thought you said you WERE cooking it. Now that I reread it and realized that you stated that you were NOt cooking it I can only say this....a shut up a you face

motoeric
09-17-2008, 12:20 PM

You don't think that equating a cook-off to a circus is bashing it?

And wouldn't you consider that criticizing an event in that matter when you are not cooking, judging or assisting in any way makes you the one that is a self appointed sentinel?

Eric

BBQchef33
09-17-2008, 12:56 PM
First off..

Hot Dog? :confused: that was news to me.

I believe it came in from a sponsor. They will be optional and not count towards GC.

Now lets discuss the Chefs Choice/Dessert category. This was my idea. It came from my visit to The Jack and how impressed I was at the Chefs Choice presentations down there. We wanted to do something different for this contest. We decided to give you guys carte blanche in your presentations and have some fun.. use a farkin balloon animal to display your pork chops.. chit I make palm trees out of carrots and green peppers.. rosettes out of radishes, and crowns our of tomatoes. Why are we being close minded?

A quick note on Dessert.. nothing pisses me off more than someone turning in cheescake they bought at the local bakery. Deserts must be made on site. Chocolate mouse can be prepared onsite, grilled fruits, even baking. Use your talents to make something NOT pre-purchased. We had a fruit catagory last year, its now expanded to include ANY desert.

On to Chefs choice and the onsite judging. This is NOT MIM type judging. Its just a presentation table at your site. This idea was discussed for weeks with many of us, I asked for input from alot of respected folks on the circuit and it was even brought to the New Ideas and R&D committee at KCBS who thought it was a great expansion of concept. It was never met with anything negative except the logistics of judging on time and we will work that out.

First off.. dont confuse this with MIM judging. It IS NOT. We are NOT JUDGING SHOWMANSHIP. It is not relevant and you do not have to schmoose the judges. You don't even have to talk to them. We did this to enable competitors to use everything at their disposal without having to bring it to the judges tent.

All u need to do is present a platter, with an open garnish in the middle of your table, OR, make place settings. We are doing this so you have full reign over your presentation, not limited to 9x9 boxes and don't have to carry large serving dishes to a judges tent. We felt that having open sizes would make it impossible to fit all entries at the judges table(under the tent) and detract from your presentations. Thats why its at your site. We only care about the table, not the site, not the speech, non of that. Its ALL the presentation.

The goal here is to bring out your creativity beyond the 9x9 inch box. We wanted an open garnish and for folks to go crazy on the displays using whatever they wanted. There will be a 2 hour window after the fatty turn in to prepare your iron chef displays. When I was at The Jack, I saw some of the most amazing turn ins I have ever seen.

You know that big ass dish you use once a year at thanksgiving?? Or that fish shaped wicker basket u never use? .. Take it and dress things up!!! We felt that if you want to use a Sterling silver platter, then do so, if u want an ice sculpture in your presentation, go for it.. but we felt that NOT having to limit sizes to 9x9, and not having to carry it to the judges tent would make it easier for you, and allow you options you don't normally have. You can use things you would not normally use and you can setup your display at your site however you want.

If you dont want to do the presentation platter, then instead of a 9x9 inch box, we will give 9 inch plates and you can make seperate place settings. thats up to YOU.

C'mon folks.. its a contest. No one ever said that we are limited to 9x9 styrofoam. Look at the creations here from Ricks Tropical delight, look at the stuff from Curt McAdams and our other members who create amazing displays using nothing but a serving platter and open garnish. This is where we are going.. You can still do steaks, pork chops, fish, wings, whatever you want. But it will NOT be displayed in a 9x9, instead, its a true all out presentation like you would for a formal dinner at your holiday tables, or when you want to impress.

Think outside of they box guys..

The goal here was to do something different and something fun.. not to start a damn boycott because we dumped the styrofoam. The alternative is we do beef, steak, fish, fruit in a 9x9 box. Same ol same ol. Do we not want to try something different?

Heres a simple example(wasnt a comp), something like this, with your desert next to it. If you want additional sides to make it prettier, they simply count as garnish. Why is this such a bad thing?

SmokeInDaEye
09-17-2008, 01:17 PM
Ok, two last questions the I'm stepping out of the mix so Phil doesn't slap me.

If it's onsite presentations, how does that differ from marking an entry so the judges know who it belongs too? I know more judges in this area like Sledneck better than me and if we both carried our boxes into the tent at the same time, they'd say "Oh, Sledneck! I can't wait to dig in!!!" then "F'ing SIDE. He probably spit in this."

As for the sausage category, can those competing use bacon or other pre-treated ingredients? And will the meat be weighed to make sure it is at least one pound?

Not trying to be difficult, just trying to understand the thought process.

YankeeBBQ
09-17-2008, 01:30 PM
I Give it a 6. I might go to 7 if you get rid of that Schaefer Beer.http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=19143&stc=1&d=1221673831

BBQchef33
09-17-2008, 06:00 PM
A few things based on questions I have gotten.

1 - I would hope our judges would judge professionally and fairly. Its the nature of the beast when they come to your site to judge.

2 - We DO NOT HAVE A SAUSAGE CATEGORY. Its a FATTY category. The 'fatty' has a long distinguished history in the group and its never been a linked or cased sausage. Starting out originally as a Jimmy Dean, It has always been a chub, seasoned and stuffed to the limits of imagination. So, it is in the spirit of this forum to present the fatty as we have always described it, a 1lb chub or bigger. As far as ingredients, bacon cooked from raw would be allowed as would an edible wrapping. (A casing is not a wrapping). Meat inspections will ensure theres at least one pound of ground meat to be used for the fatty. I would hope we would not have to weigh things.
(Along the same lines, I believe KCBS rules state a pork but must weigh 5 lbs, but i have yet to see one weighed.)

3 - The judging for pizza and fatty is in the judging tent, not your site. Those must be turned in as normal.

c'mon folks, Break out those stupid turkey shaped plates you only use once a year and decorate it, throw on some cornish hens and make it look like a barnyard.. this will be fun!

SmokeInDaEye
09-17-2008, 06:36 PM
Two last questions. Why can I turn a fattie in for a sausage category but I can't turn a sausage in for a fattie category? And does each portion for the judges have to weigh a pound or is the pound the sum of the meat you start with?

(And yes, I'm just breaking balls here. I'm sure it will be fun as always)

Bigdog
09-17-2008, 06:52 PM
This contest is sounds cool. Lots of interesting categories and presentations. All designed to stretch your imagination and cooking skills. Saturdays contest is not a standard KCBS contest at all. If that is what you thought you were getting in to, I'm sorry. Hopefully everyone will realize this and have some fun with it. Push the envelope of the 9X9 styro box thingie and do something really cool. Please don't get stressed about this. Part of the reason for doing some of the things they are doing is to reduce your stress, like letting you have the judges come to your site rather than having to worry about getting it to them on time. How cool is that? Put the monkey on their back for a change.

And a fatty category. This one is my favorite, due to the fact that I gave it the name and that when you hear or see the word fatty in regards to BBQ, you know that it all started here at the Brethren. This is something that we named. No we didn't invent it, we just perfected it. :icon_cool

Some folks are a bit confused as to exactly what a fatty is. It can be many things. It can be as simple as just opening one up and smoking, or complex like a Fatty Wellington. I love that one. It can be so many things, that a list would probably not be conclusive. That's part of the coolness of them. What it is, is some type of ground meat of at least a pound, that is shaped into a tube. It can be stuffed and coated, but not have a casing. That would be sausage, and while fatties are usually sausage, this is not a sausage contest. That would be much more open. A fatties shape should be tubular and fat, not skinny, resembling that original fatty: The Jimmie Dean type in a plastic container with ties on the end. That is where it gets the double meaning of fatty, the one you could get arrested for smoking. :eek: Got it?

Hopefully this will help you understand this contest better and allow you to lay back and have some fun. I sure wish I could be there to see it.

SmokeInDaEye
09-17-2008, 07:17 PM
And a fatty category. This one is my favorite, due to the fact that I gave it the name and that when you hear or see the word fatty in regards to BBQ, you know that it all started here at the Brethren. This is something that we named. No we didn't invent it, just perfected it. :icon_cool

Some folks are a bit confused as to exactly what a fatty is. It can be many things. It can be as simple as just opening one up and smoking, or complex like a Fatty Wellington. I love that one. It can be so many things, that a list would probably not be conclusive. That's part of the coolness of them. What it is, is some type of ground meat of at least a pound, that is shaped into a tube. It can be stuffed and coated, but not have a casing. That would be sausage, and while fatties are usually sausage, this is not a sausage contest. That would be much more open. A fatties shape should be tubular and fat, not skinny, resembling that original fatty: the Jimmie Dean type in a plastic container with ties on the end. That is where it gets the double meaning of fatty, the one you could get arrested for smoking. :eek: Got it?

That's a great summary, bigdog! Again, I am just busting chops but this sounds like a great out-of-the-box (literally) contest. I am also for hire as a consultant in any categories! Been waiting all year for sayville and only a month to go...

timzcardz
09-17-2008, 07:34 PM
That's a great summary, bigdog! Again, I am just busting chops but this sounds like a great out-of-the-box (literally) contest. I am also for hire as a consultant in any categories! Been waiting all year for sayville and only a month to go...

SIDE, As Nike would say, Just Do It.

I expect to see you defending your title.

No excuses.

HolySmoke
09-17-2008, 08:54 PM
any more news about the port-o-potties?

HolySmoke
09-18-2008, 06:26 AM
do we know what kind of Sabbrett hot dogs are being provided? Skinless, foot long, just wondering since it's a cat i might as well prepare for it... At least i don't have to eat them.

Also is the chef's choice limited to only one portein?

spicewine
09-18-2008, 08:04 AM
Hope you all get done beating each other up before Cracker and I get there !!! Don't know what our game plan is yet, or what we will be cooking on, but we will be ready for the 12 oz. curl competition.8-)

Spice

Transformer BBQ
09-18-2008, 08:49 AM
First off..

Hot Dog? :confused: that was news to me.

I believe it came in from a sponsor. They will be optional and not count towards GC.

Where does it say it optional? (besides here)

spicewine
09-18-2008, 01:57 PM
I see my reputation proceeds me!!!:twisted:

BTW - I didn't get anything sent to me regarding the contest. Can someone send me the information please! jay@spicewineironworks.com

BBQchef33
09-18-2008, 03:12 PM
yes, chefs choice can contain more than one protein. Its pretty much wide open.

The hot dog is an ancillary/optional category. Hot dogs became optional yesterday as soon as we found out about it. An updated email will be going out shortly.
Sabrett is sponsoring a portion of the grilling event, both monetarily and with product, so its only fair that they be a part of it.

motoeric
09-18-2008, 03:18 PM
Oddly, the email went out while Phil was posting his note. Strange synchronicity there.

On another note, please keep chatter about the event in the 'roll call' thread for Sayville.

I'm hoping to keep this thread for announcements, questions and clarifications.

Eric

timzcardz
09-18-2008, 03:46 PM
Sabrett is sponsoring a portion of the grilling event, both monetarily and with product, so its only fair that they be a part of it.

EXCELLENT! This is the type of thing that should always be welcome.

And I do love Sabrett hot dogs!

Lakeside Smoker
09-19-2008, 06:18 AM

Nice hotel, clean, about four miles from the event. Plenty of parking (even for oversize vehicles).

Holiday Inn
Ronkonkoma, NY 11779

631 585 9500
www.holidayinn.com/longislandny (http://www.holidayinn.com/longislandny)

Eric

Nice!! We'll be staying over Sunday night, anyone else?

Mike

BBQchef33
09-19-2008, 10:48 AM
guys..

since i havent heard anything, I hope things are a little more palatable regarding the judging now.. Chris and Steve shared some photos which may make our intentions clearer regarding the Chefs choice onsite judging. These are photos of Jack entries i was discussing in an earlier post here.

Setting up a single entry, along the lines of these. (remember, "showmanship" is not in the equation).

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=741540&postcount=5

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=741575&postcount=10

motoeric
09-19-2008, 02:53 PM
do we know what kind of Sabbrett hot dogs are being provided? Skinless, foot long, just wondering since it's a cat i might as well prepare for it... At least i don't have to eat them.

Also is the chef's choice limited to only one portein?

We hope to have a variety of their hot dogs for you to choose from. As soon as I have confirmation I will post here and email the teams.

Eric

Yakfishingfool
09-19-2008, 03:52 PM
Hey Phil, I'm thinking the Jack can wait. This is shaping up to be a really neat competition. Open fatty comp. Very cool. would love to be at the tent to see all the turn in's. Scott

BBQchef33
09-19-2008, 04:50 PM
go ahead, lay the guilt trip on me. Im having enuf trouble as it is.

:)

Big Butt BBQ
09-22-2008, 06:31 AM
I am intersested in doing this competition. What are the payouts for the KCBS event?

Thanks
Ed

motoeric
09-22-2008, 12:14 PM
I am intersested in doing this competition. What are the payouts for the KCBS event?

Thanks
Ed

We certainly hope that you can make it Ed.

Unfortunately I can't give you an exact dollar amount for the payouts. 100 percent of the money from the entries are going back to the teams as payouts and we are getting more teams signing up all the time. Until I know exactly how many teams there will be I won't have an exact figure.

We are currently at around $7,000.00 for Grilling and BBQ, with the lions share going to BBQ. Does that help at all?

In addition, there will be some extra prizes such as the GC getting to spend the night with Willie.

Eric

Jacked UP BBQ
09-22-2008, 01:20 PM
are there still openings? I just got back from florida and never sent my stuff in!!

motoeric
09-22-2008, 01:40 PM
are there still openings? I just got back from florida and never sent my stuff in!!

Yes there are, but a late entry penalty means that you aren't eligible to spend the night with Willie. Sorry.

Sure. Send it in soon and you should be fine.

Eric

Jacked UP BBQ
09-22-2008, 03:23 PM
Just dropped my stuff in the mailbox, can someone email those rules. mara600@comcast.net

Big Butt BBQ
09-22-2008, 05:17 PM
Thanks Eric.

What were last years pay outs?

Thanks
Ed

motoeric
09-23-2008, 02:19 PM
There is an archive of emails sent to teams and judges as well as a new flier for the event up at

www.bbqbattleli.com

Eric

spicewine
09-23-2008, 04:20 PM

Holiday Inn
Ronkonkoma, NY 11779

631 585 9500
www.holidayinn.com/longislandny (http://www.holidayinn.com/longislandny)

Eric

Thanks Eric!! Cracker and I are booked!! Thanks for saving us some $$$$

Spice

motoeric
09-24-2008, 11:01 AM
PLEASE use the 'Sayville Roll Call' thread for chatter about this event.

I would like to keep this thread easily navigable for people who need event information.

Eric

smokincracker
09-25-2008, 04:38 AM
Thanks Eric!! Cracker and I are booked!! Thanks for saving us some $$$$

Spice

Thanks E

SmokeInDaEye
09-25-2008, 01:17 PM
Can anyone shed light on this part of the rules for the onsite judging? Are those competing only being judged by three judges and, if so, do they all count? Or are there a few sets of judges coming in 15 minute intervals with the lowest 1 dropped ala MIM?

If it's 3 judges, each coming 15 minutes a part, that's 45 minutes to keep the food warm. Is there time to prep the desert between the last judge for Chef's Choice and the first judge for desert? 12pm "fattie" turn-in, 12:30 Pizza, 1-1:45 Chefs choice, 1:45-2:30 Dessert, 2:30 Hot Dog?

3 Judges will arrive at your site at a predetermined time and will have 10-13 minutes to judge.
Times of judges arrival at your site will be given out at the cooks meeting. They will be in 15 minute intervals.

BBQchef33
09-25-2008, 02:25 PM
Going out on a limp here by answering without discussing with the rest of the organizers. So eric will chime in if theres anything different or to add.

We are working out the logistics of 3 or 6 judges(waiting to see how many we have signed up). This will also dictate how long they have to judge. In either case, ALL the judges will arrive at one time and judge both catagories(and awarding seperate scores.) This is NOT MIM style an yes we will drop the lowest score if we can use 6 judges. I will work directly with KCBS reps who have experience with this type of judging to get the judging logistics done properly. We are not the first KCBS contest to do this style.

AT THE JUDGES TENT. Fattie at 12:00, Pizza 12:30. Hot dog(optional)1:00PM

Chefs Choice and desert are judged together(seperate scores) at your site, starting at 3PM. Thats a minimum of 2 hours to prep chefs choice and desert.

On EDIT: I just spoke to Linda from KCBS about the judging. Since she has experience with it, she will oversee and manage this judging for us. We will be having a meeting with her to solidify the logistics of the onsite judging when I return from the Royal. There will be ample time given prior to the contest for competitors to plan.

1 - A single judge will not got to a site. The judges will arrive together.

It will either be one group of 6 judges with a table captain
or
two groups of three judges each, arriving 15 minutes apart, with a table captain for each group.
This will be determined when we have a better idea of our head count. In either case, both catagories iron chef and desert will be judged in that timeframe, so judging both catagories should take 1 hour to complete.

2 - Table captains will ensure timely movement of the judging groups.

3 - The judges meeting will be extended to explain the rules and it will be stressed that showmanship is not part of the score.

4- Unlike MIM, their will be no comparison or discussion among judges. The product will be judged on its own merit.

more to follow.

motoeric
09-25-2008, 03:17 PM
I will go into detail on Clint's question later tonight (I'm in a bit of a rush), but I wanted to let people know that I spoke with the manager of the Restaurant Depot that is local to the event and he is in the loop and says that they will have everything in stock.

The Restaurant Depot is literally on the same block as the competition, about 3 miles to the north.

Eric

timzcardz
09-25-2008, 03:18 PM
Just an observation.

If judging at site doesn't start until 3pm (conceivably continuing to 4pm+/-, this is fixing a rather large block of time for contestants and the judges.

As a contestant I don't feel that I need or want another 2 hours. (2 1/2 without the optional hot dog.)

Would it make sense to take the optional hot dog out of the middle of this and put it up front at 11:30?

BBQchef33
09-25-2008, 03:48 PM
Hot dog can be moved possibly. We will take it into consideration.

Hot dog was placed there so those that choose not to do it can utilize the time for chefs choice.

The large block of time is intended to give ample time to prepare. Under the guideines given, 2 hours is not excessive to prepare 2 catagories. (Other folks complained that there was not enough time)

SmokeInDaEye
09-25-2008, 04:29 PM
Thanks, Phil and Eric. A few more thoughts if you'll allow.

So are the 3 or six judges supposed to sit and eat (thus meaning a table, chairs, and tablescapes ala http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=435904&postcount=3) or are those competing just putting nice platters and/or 12 plates (6 chefs choice and six dessert) on their existing work area?

Can those who are competing have the onsite judges help trim their meat for the KCBS portion as long as they're there?

Finally, for those who are competing, how big exactly is a "small pizza box"?

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6957&d=1177258315

BBQchef33
09-26-2008, 10:08 PM
Thanks, Phil and Eric. A few more thoughts if you'll allow.

So are the 3 or six judges supposed to sit and eat (thus meaning a table, chairs, and tablescapes ala http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=435904&postcount=3) or are those competing just putting nice platters and/or 12 plates (6 chefs choice and six dessert) on their existing work area?

After speaking with Linda yesterday, most likely, there will be 6 judges. But although normally they arrive in 2 groups of 3, we will try for all 6 for the sake of time and ease.

The number of teams and time will dictate if they arrive in 2 groups of 3(15 mins apart), or all 6 at once. But they will NOT arrive individually, and remember, chefs choice and desert are presented together in a "tablescape". We will have volunteers bring chairs to your sites so all u need is the table.

(3 or 6)will be worked out when we have a final head count. I will be meeting with our KCBS reps(LindaM) and the organizers to finalize the logistics and notice will go out with ample time to prepare prior to the contest. Linda has done this before with much success.

Can those who are competing have the onsite judges help trim their meat for the KCBS portion as long as they're there?

Of course!!! amd I think in your case, you may have better luck if they cook for you too. :mrgreen::cool:

Finally, for those who are competing, how big exactly is a "small pizza box"?

10 x 10 x 1.75.
And on the outside
its off white in color
With red writing
Kind of a dull gray color inside
Biodegradeable
and contains no flourocarbons

SmokeInDaEye
09-27-2008, 01:05 AM
After speaking with Linda yesterday, most likely, there will be 6 judges. But although normally they arrive in 2 groups of 3, we will try for all 6 for the sake of time and ease.

The number of teams and time will dictate if they arrive in 2 groups of 3(15 mins apart), or all 6 at once. But they will NOT arrive individually, and remember, chefs choice and desert are presented together in a "tablescape". We will have volunteers bring chairs to your sites so all u need is the table.

(3 or 6)will be worked out when we have a final head count. I will be meeting with our KCBS reps(LindaM) and the organizers to finalize the logistics and notice will go out with ample time to prepare prior to the contest. Linda has done this before with much success.

Of course!!! amd I think in your case, you may have better luck if they cook for you too. :mrgreen::cool:

10 x 10 x 1.75.
And on the outside
its off white in color
With red writing
Kind of a dull gray color inside
Biodegradeable
and contains no flourocarbons

Dang. I ask a couple questions and get slammed by folks who won't even be there????

I was just trying to clarify a couple of odd rules and help others out. So if dessert and the entree are being presented together as a single tablescape ala Sandra freakin' Lee, we are basically making a fancy dinner setting for six?

Lakeside Smoker
09-27-2008, 08:27 AM
Anyone know the latest on Saturday we can pull in? We'll be coming over on the ferry and won't be there until noon.

BBQchef33
09-27-2008, 09:03 AM
Well if u want to do a Sara Lee, I'd recommend u dress up like her too, after all, its open garnish and you can be considered a meatball. :mrgreen::cool:

but...

you are judged on your chefs choice creation and desert creation.

Only the 2 dishes and its contents are being judged based on Creativity/Originality/Taste. If you choose to serve the chefs choice plated, then all the plates will be judged for creativity and originality(appearance), as a group, just like when u open a 9x9 inch box, all 6 pieces are judged as a group (or appearance).

Consider that table your box, a really big 9x9, and what you do around it is garnish. OPEN GARNISH. It will look nice, but is not to effect your scores.

If I was doing this, i would have a large platter, family style, with a large roast, and that platter would be professionally garnished as I can. My place settings would be empty, I may have a couple of simple sides(not judged) and I would carve the entree when the judges arrived so they can see juices pouring out and anticipate....

OR, I would have plate settings ready for when the judges arrive.

anything else on my table is just garnish.

but since your not competing this is all moot. :cool:

SmokeInDaEye
09-27-2008, 09:12 AM
Well if u want to do a Sara Lee, I'd recommend u dress up like her too, after all, its open garnish and you can be considered a meatball. :mrgreen::cool:

but...

you are judged on your chefs choice creation and desert creation.

Only the 2 dishes and its contents are being judged based on Creativity/Originality/Taste. If you choose to serve the chefs choice plated, then all the plates will be judged for creativity and originality(appearance), as a group, just like when u open a 9x9 inch box, all 6 pieces are judged as a group (or appearance).

Consider that table your box, a really big 9x9, and what you do around it is garnish. OPEN GARNISH. It will look nice, but is not to effect your scores.

If I was doing this, i would have a large platter, family style, with a large roast, and that platter would be professionally garnished as I can. My place settings would be empty, I may have a couple of simple sides(not judged) and I would carve the entree when the judges arrived so they can see juices pouring out and anticipate....

OR, I would have plate settings ready for when the judges arrive.

anything else on my table is just garnish.

but since your not competing this is all moot. :cool:

Thanks, Poo. Starting to make more sense, though the carving at the table borders on showmanship. In support of our only local contest, I will be competing and attempting to defend my grilling title.

BBQchef33
09-27-2008, 09:25 AM
Showmanship is not judged.. but we never said you cant be out there, we said its not required as in MIM. I think you dressed up as sara lee would be awesome!

come to think of it, it is a halloween festival...
have Dracula coming out to slice a leg of lamb.. rare... garnished with little slabs of red meat.

timzcardz
09-27-2008, 12:44 PM
We will have volunteers bring chairs to your sites so all u need is the table.

As a competitor, do I have the right to refuse to allow chairs in my site for the judges?

I want to keep them on their toes. :-D

smokincracker
09-27-2008, 07:46 PM
Phil

What do I have to do to Judge this contest?

motoeric
09-27-2008, 07:52 PM
Phil

Go to the event website (www.bbqbattleli.com), dl the judges app and send it in.

I'm assuming that you are referring to Saturday?

Eric

BBQchef33
09-27-2008, 08:45 PM
As a competitor, do I have the right to refuse to allow chairs in my site for the judges?

I want to keep them on their toes. :-D

yup.

SmokeInDaEye
09-27-2008, 09:06 PM
Phil

New question. Are those competing allowed to serve liquor to the judges?

Sledneck
09-27-2008, 10:45 PM
That is a GREAT question. Wine would go great with what I have planned

motoeric
09-27-2008, 10:50 PM

I'm sorry, but serving alcohol, event to judges, is not allowed. This isn't due to the KCBS, NEBS or our whims, but due to local ordinances.

Eric

Sledneck
09-27-2008, 10:51 PM
I'm sorry, but serving alcohol, event to judges, is not allowed. This isn't due to the KCBS, NEBS or our whims, but due to local ordinances.

EricI think that pertains to selling alcohol.

motoeric
09-27-2008, 11:25 PM
I think that pertains to selling alcohol.

It pertains to both. This topic has been explored with the Chamber time and again. It's just not possible.

Eric

motoeric
10-03-2008, 12:09 PM
The judicious and wise Jerry and Linda Mullane have asked me to inquire about team interest in having an additional 2:00 pm turn-in on Sunday for a non-official experimentation slot.

Would you like to see how your brisket would score if you used your top secret new method? What about if you used squab instead of chicken for turn-ins? Have you always wanted to know how a judge would score pulled pork with a mole sauce? This would be your chance.

If you are interested in this opportunity, let me know and we will set it up for you.

Eric

MAsQue
10-03-2008, 12:15 PM
The judicious and wise Jerry and Linda Mullane have asked me to inquire about team interest in having an additional 2:00 pm turn-in on Sunday for a non-official experimentation slot.

Would you like to see how your brisket would score if you used your top secret new method? What about if you used squab instead of chicken for turn-ins? Have you always wanted to know how a judge would score pulled pork with a mole sauce? This would be your chance.

If you are interested in this opportunity, let me know and we will set it up for you.

Eric

I like the idea. I'd be willing to be a Guinea pig.

OTOH, I liked the concept of comment cards, too. Whatever happened to that?

Sledneck
10-03-2008, 12:20 PM
How about a sauce category as well?

timzcardz
10-03-2008, 12:45 PM
What about if you used squab instead of chicken for turn-ins?

Ummm, wouldn't it score a 1?

And I wouldn't be interested.

MAsQue
10-03-2008, 01:14 PM
What about if you used squab instead of chicken for turn-ins?
Ummm, wouldn't it score a 1?

But think how much it would help Sayville's feral pigeon problem!

Westexbbq
10-03-2008, 01:52 PM
It pertains to both. This topic has been explored with the Chamber time and again. It's just not possible.

Eric

As one of the esteemed Judges (most likely) how 'bout if I have a hip flask of Jim Beam with me? :icon_wink

motoeric
10-03-2008, 03:06 PM
Let me be very clear on what we were discussing regarding the experimentation:

Linda asked if we would be willing to try something new and have a 'turn-in' time for teams who have been thinking about trying something new but want to give it a test run.

IF there is interest I will try to get some judges to hang around and give their opinions on what is turned in at 2:00 pm. This has NOTHING to do with the scores, or rankings, or another category. It has very little to do with the contest as a whole.

It will be handled almost entirely by the reps, the judges that agree to hang out for a bit and the teams that want the feedback.

It is a service being offered (generously, by the Mullanes) for competitors.

Eric

Frank Sacco
10-03-2008, 03:31 PM
Mullanes Rule!!

barfly
10-03-2008, 08:46 PM

Eric

long as my experimentation can't drag down the scores that count i'm in..

motoeric
10-03-2008, 10:09 PM
long as my experimentation can't drag down the scores that count i'm in..

To reiterate: This turn-in will have NOTHING to do with how you do at the event. You will neither gain nor lose any points or ranking. You will not get any awards or trophies.

This is STRICTLY an informal service for the competitors.

Eric

rbsnwngs
10-04-2008, 06:54 AM
i'm in as well

WannaBeBBQueen
10-04-2008, 06:57 AM
count Swamp Pit in those figures as well :biggrin:

nancee
10-04-2008, 10:44 AM
In
Nancee

rookiedad
10-05-2008, 08:09 AM
i think The Ed Travers Band, a local Jimmy Buffet cover band is scheduled to appear on the 26th! they usually have a margarita day in sayville in the summer but it was rained out this year. i think they rescheduled them for the weekend of the competition. if so this should be ALOT of fun! they have a huge following. bring limes!!!

Bob S
10-05-2008, 09:15 AM
i think The Ed Travers Band, a local Jimmy Buffet cover band is scheduled to appear on the 26th! they usually have a margarita day in sayville in the summer but it was rained out this year. i think they rescheduled them for the weekend of the competition. if so this should be ALOT of fun! they have a huge following. bring limes!!!

They are a great band! I may have to alter my beverage selection to include margaritas. :biggrin:

exhorns
10-05-2008, 09:35 AM
For the grilling comp does the pizza dough need to be made on site or is pre-prepared ok? Thanks. ex

WannaBeBBQueen
10-05-2008, 10:33 AM
For the grilling comp does the pizza dough need to be made on site or is pre-prepared ok? Thanks. ex

Robert was planning on using pre-made so I hope it's not an issue...Eric can answer that one :biggrin:

motoeric
10-05-2008, 12:22 PM
I will have an answer for you regarding the pizza dough asap.

I have just sent out an email to all the teams. If you did not receive a copy, please email me.

saberinc@verizon.net

Thanks,

Eric

motoeric
10-05-2008, 12:48 PM
As an fyi, prize money for the event is now nearing $9,000.00

Eric

timzcardz
10-05-2008, 12:49 PM
With respect to collecting for the Sayville Food Pantry . . .

For many of us this competition is in our backyard and I am certain that like me, many will be inviting friends to stop by, hang, eat, and drink with us.

Ask them, or outright tell them to bring canned foods, dry goods, etc., to enhance the collection.

Smoker'sLoungeBBQ
10-05-2008, 03:37 PM
With respect to collecting for the Sayville Food Pantry . . .

For many of us this competition is in our backyard and I am certain that like me, many will be inviting friends to stop by, hang, eat, and drink with us.

Ask them, or outright tell them to bring canned foods, dry goods, etc., to enhance the collection.

Excellent idea! Thanks for the tip!

motoeric
10-05-2008, 07:32 PM
Pre-made dough for the pizza category is fine.

Eric

exhorns
10-05-2008, 10:24 PM
Thanks Eric. I thought it was a bonehead question and was just asking to be sure. I was surprised when you needed a clarification, but glad I asked. ex

motoeric
10-06-2008, 08:51 PM
The following teams have put in special requests for where they will be located. If you need any special accommodation's and you are not on this list, please email me. saberinc@verizon.net

Blazin Butts
Swamp Pit
Primal Meat
Smokers Lounge
Up in Smoke
Big W's Bodacious BBQ
Lakeside Smokers

Thanks,

Eric

Frank Sacco
10-06-2008, 09:57 PM
Blazin' Buttz or Blazin Butts

It all sounds the same to me!?!?

motoeric
10-07-2008, 01:51 PM
The last date for applications and checks to be accepted for competitors is Wednesday, Oct. 15th. This is the date the application must be AT the Chamber of Commerce. That is not the postmark date.

If there are any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me.

saberinc@verizon.net

motoeric
10-09-2008, 04:41 PM
Hello!

As I hope that you are aware, we are working with Breast Cancer Help as our charity of choice at the Battle of the BBQ Brethren.

A number of very generous donations were made to the charity for raffles to be held over the weekend. We would like to take a minute to thank the donors and let you know what is being raffled off.

There is one caveat. This is a list of what is PLANNED to be raffled. As some of the items are not yet in hand I am not guaranteeing that everything will be there. I will update as things arrive.

On with the show:

Large Big Green Egg with Eggcessories from Big Green Egg

Open Range Smoker from Ace of Hearts BBQ

UDS from Shane and Wyatt (2 very generous members of the BBQ Brethren)

Thermometers from Thermoworks

Thermometers from Maverick

Various Sauces

Various BBQ Related Books

If you would like to donate something for the raffles your effort would be greatly appreciated. If you know someone that we should contact, please let us know.

Eric

SmokeInDaEye
10-09-2008, 07:10 PM
Great work, eric! I can ask around for some other donations.

motoeric
10-09-2008, 07:41 PM
Great work, eric! I can ask around for some other donations.

Thank you and I appreciate the sentiment, but all credit goes to the kind people that were willing to reach out and donate for this great cause.

Eric

deez20
10-09-2008, 11:56 PM
Those are some pretty nice raffle prizes. Hopefully this year I put the correct half of my tickets in the prize bag instead of keeping the portion with my name and number on it like I did last year.

bbqdavarrow
10-10-2008, 09:00 AM
Eric,
I would be willing to donate a banner.
dave/red planet bbq
arrow printing & signs

Lakeside Smoker
10-10-2008, 10:36 AM
Last year most of us teams donated a few bottles of rub or sauces, a team shirt, or whatever. We put together some real nice baskets and they raffled them off. We should all do the same this year. I'm in for some rub, and some team shirts.

Mike

motoeric
10-10-2008, 02:01 PM
This is NOT mandatory and it's not even suggested. I just want to keep everyone in the loop.

There will be a LARGE kids costume parade at the Sayville Fall Festival. Many of those kids may be coming through the park with their parents.

You may want to keep a bag of halloween candy on hand if you are into that sort of stuff.

Eric

Jacked UP BBQ
10-10-2008, 02:21 PM
Man, I better take out a second mortage for this comp:) ! When is the cooks meeting for the grilling, I am in that also but I don't want to come until saturday morning, so I can get one more shower in!!!!!

pigmaker23
10-10-2008, 10:24 PM
i have the two smokey joe weber grills that we can stuff the sauces and items into like last year, I will get them to Eric D this week

Last year most of us teams donated a few bottles of rub or sauces, a team shirt, or whatever. We put together some real nice baskets and they raffled them off. We should all do the same this year. I'm in for some rub, and some team shirts.

Mike

rbsnwngs
10-11-2008, 07:05 AM
you can have as much sauce and rub as you would like from me let me know where to bring it

motoeric
10-11-2008, 04:07 PM
How about a sauce category as well?

If you would like to see how a judge would respond to a sauce you are working on, that is what this is designed for. The 'experiment' slot that Linda is volunteering is exactly for this purpose.

Eric

deez20
10-12-2008, 12:14 AM
I've got a question for the grilling portion. I'm thinking of using fresh salsa with my chef's choice meal, do I need to make it there or can I bring it with me? I guess the same goes for the dessert, can I put all of my dry ingredients together ahead of time and just mix them with the wet when it's time or it all has to be done onsite?

SmokeInDaEye
10-12-2008, 11:20 AM
Is this hot dog thing still happening? Any rules? Turn-in time? Prizes?

Sledneck
10-12-2008, 12:15 PM
Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Saturday, Oct 25
http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/common/images/wxicons/blue_frcst_bg/18.gif
High: 51 °F RealFeel®: 46 °F
Periods of rain

Saturday Night, Oct 25
http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/common/images/wxicons/blue_night_bg/31.gif
Low: 32 °F RealFeel®: 23 °F
Partly cloudy and very cold

Sunday, Oct 26
http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/common/images/wxicons/blue_frcst_bg/04.gif
High: 50 °F RealFeel®: 41 °F
Clouds and sunshine

Sunday Night, Oct 26
http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/common/images/wxicons/blue_night_bg/38.gif
Low: 32 °F RealFeel®: 28 °F
Mostly cloudy

motoeric
10-12-2008, 12:57 PM
Is this hot dog thing still happening? Any rules? Turn-in time? Prizes?

I'm editing this response as I believe that I misinterpreted the question.

The hot dog thing is still happening. Full rules with turn-in times will be included with the comprehensive grilling rules that will be emailed out late Monday night or Tuesday (depending on what time I stay up till Monday night).

Prizes will include $ and plaque.

Eric

SmokeInDaEye
10-12-2008, 02:10 PM
I'm editing this response as I believe that I misinterpreted the question.

The hot dog thing is still happening. Full rules with turn-in times will be included with the comprehensive grilling rules that will be emailed out late Monday night or Tuesday (depending on what time I stay up till Monday night).

Prizes will include $ and plaque.

Eric

Cool. Wasn't sure if had been canceled with the kids q.

timzcardz
10-13-2008, 07:32 AM
Very glad to see that the hot dog entry remains.

As it has previously been explained, Sabrett has become a sponsor providing money and product, and therfore, IMHO, should be embraced by everyone competing. Sponsorship is a good thing, don't you think? It is something that any and every competiton can benefit from.

And with this post, I have just advanced to being "One Chatty Farker!" :biggrin:

LindaM
10-13-2008, 11:04 AM
Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Saturday, Oct 25
http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/common/images/wxicons/blue_frcst_bg/18.gif
High: 51 °F RealFeelŪ: 46 °F
Periods of rain

Saturday Night, Oct 25
http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/common/images/wxicons/blue_night_bg/31.gif
Low: 32 °F RealFeelŪ: 23 °F
Partly cloudy and very cold

Sunday, Oct 26
http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/common/images/wxicons/blue_frcst_bg/04.gif
High: 50 °F RealFeelŪ: 41 °F
Clouds and sunshine

Sunday Night, Oct 26
http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/common/images/wxicons/blue_night_bg/38.gif
Low: 32 °F RealFeelŪ: 28 °F
Mostly cloudy

Is this the real thing or is this another of your made up ones? NO RAIN ON SATURDAY PLEASE!!!!!

Sledneck
10-13-2008, 11:51 AM
Is this the real thing or is this another of your made up ones? NO RAIN ON SATURDAY PLEASE!!!!!That is the real deal as of now. Obviously they are typically clueless so I wouldn't count on he rain but with all of the warm weather we have and will be having a cold front is sure to come thru

motoeric
10-13-2008, 03:00 PM
Coming Soon:

Next 48 hours - Comprehensive timeline, full grilling rules

After Wednesday - Listing of competing teams.

Eric

nancee
10-13-2008, 06:33 PM
Are there any ferries from LI down to NJ or anywheres South? We are heading to Georgia after the contest and I hate to backtrack so much...
thanks
nancee

MilitantSquatter
10-13-2008, 06:56 PM
Sorry Nancee... nothing that goes from LI heading south except Fire Island.

nancee
10-13-2008, 07:24 PM
thanks Vinny
I knoew that would make too much sense!!!
nancee

Sledneck
10-14-2008, 05:51 AM
I guess all of the praying has been working cause its looking better already!!

Saturday, Oct 25
http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/common/images/wxicons/blue_frcst_bg/03.gif
High: 57 °F RealFeel®: 56 °F
Partial sunshine

Saturday Night, Oct 25
Low: 41 °F RealFeel®: 44 °F
Mostly cloudy

Sunday, Oct 26
High: 61 °F RealFeel®: 59 °F
Clouds and sunshine

Sunday Night, Oct 26
http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/common/images/wxicons/blue_night_bg/35.gif
Low: 45 °F RealFeel®: 51 °F
Partly cloudy

WannaBeBBQueen
10-14-2008, 06:06 AM
Phew! Glad to see the update :biggrin:

Sledneck
10-14-2008, 07:19 AM
That is why I typically wait till 7 days before a contest for an official Sledcast

Sledneck
10-14-2008, 07:44 AM
Somebody needs to make sure that Willy(ie) get s his balloon :eek:

Smoker'sLoungeBBQ
10-14-2008, 08:52 AM
Glad to see the weather is looking better, I was starting to get nervous. We got spoiled last year...

SmokeInDaEye
10-14-2008, 05:57 PM
Here's the much anticipated rules...

res://shdoclc.dll/pagerror.gif

Frank Sacco
10-14-2008, 08:07 PM
Here's the much anticipated rules...

res://shdoclc.dll/pagerror.gif

SIDE I guess it's a free for all? :lol:

SmokeInDaEye
10-14-2008, 08:27 PM
SIDE I guess it's a free for all? :lol:

Supposedly. Why do I have to keep being the bad guy asking for rules? We are now less than TWO weeks away (for those who wondered why I was asking two months ago) from the contest and I'm still concerned about being DQ'd for some weird last minute rule in the grilling contest.

I know Eric and team are working their arses off and I'm trying to help and support where ever I can, but we abandoned NEBS grilling rules (after they did a heck of a lot of work to bring some consistency to grilling categories) to do some "fun plating", coupled with on site judging, sausage vs. fatty, etc.

I get very few opportunities to go out and compete and like to think ahead and plan ahead to maximize my fun. The economy sucks, work for many of us sucks, so I'd love to find a way to go and enjoy a great weekend without useless BS!

It seems so easy for people to ask questions and get answers about the Jack or the Royal or whatever, yet I have no clue what to expect at a contest I've been looking forward to for 12 months????

Sledneck
10-14-2008, 08:42 PM
Supposedly. Why do I have to keep being the bad guy asking for rules? We are now less than TWO weeks away (for those who wondered why I was asking two months ago) from the contest and I'm still concerned about being DQ'd for some weird last minute rule in the grilling contest.

I know Eric and team are working their arses off and I'm trying to help and support where ever I can, but we abandoned NEBS grilling rules (after they did a heck of a lot of work to bring some consistency to grilling categories) to do some "fun plating", coupled with on site judging, sausage vs. fatty, etc.

I get very few opportunities to go out and compete and like to think ahead and plan ahead to maximize my fun. The economy sucks, work for many of us sucks, so I'd love to find a way to go and enjoy a great weekend without useless BS!

It seems so easy for people to ask questions and get answers about the Jack or the Royal or whatever, yet I have no clue what to expect at a contest I've been looking forward to for 12 months????Would you like some cheese with that whine? :twisted:

Frank Sacco
10-14-2008, 08:49 PM

It seems so easy for people to ask questions and get answers about the Jack or the Royal or whatever, yet I have no clue what to expect at a contest I've been looking forward to for 12 months????

Clint you don't need the rule book, YOU NEED A HUG :biggrin:

Sledneck
10-14-2008, 08:58 PM
but we abandoned NEBS grilling rules (after they did a heck of a lot of work to bring some consistency to grilling categories) to do some "fun plating", coupled with on site judging, sausage vs. fatty, etc.
NEBS rules were not "abondoned"/ NEBS was given the opportunity and turned it down.

SmokeInDaEye
10-14-2008, 08:58 PM
Would you like some cheese with that whine? :twisted:

Ash hole. You're the reigning GC (by default since the contest namesake isn't showing) so you're all good.

I just want to make the point that it's been 2 plus months with no clear rules. It's not that freaking hard. I'm spending money to come and loss money. At least make the process somewhat friendly.

CTSmokehouse
10-14-2008, 09:09 PM
NEBS rules were not "abondoned"/ NEBS was given the opportunity and turned it down.

Are you certain about that... and if so...WHY?

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

SmokeInDaEye
10-14-2008, 09:20 PM

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

Things that make me go hmmmmmmm.

motoeric
10-14-2008, 09:34 PM
The grilling rules have now been sent to all of the teams.

If you have not received a copy, please let me know by sending an email to saberinc@verizon.net. I will reply with the rules.

Eric

motoeric
10-14-2008, 09:44 PM

1) I responded to your question about when you would be receiving the rules on Sunday (I believe that it is post 152). I said that you would have them by late Monday or Tuesday. It is Tuesday. You should now have them.

2) One of the reasons (among many) why it is difficult to have things ironed out and as smooth as possible is that this is a strictly volunteer venture being run by people who are donating their time. If we had more people involved and volunteering that might have sped things up. Feel free to donate some time next year.

3) You are comparing a second year event with an innovative judging and presentation category to two of the most prestigious for profit and long running events in the nation.

I apologize for the delay.

Eric

motoeric
10-14-2008, 09:47 PM

I am. That's what happened. If you would like to know why, I suggest that you contact NEBS.

I completely understand their position and have no problem with it whatsoever. Hopefully other events that I'm involved with in the area (such as Smoke and Steam in Oyster Bay) will fall within the parameters of what NEBS is comfortable with and be part of the TOY series.

Eric

SmokeInDaEye
10-14-2008, 10:16 PM
1) I responded to your question about when you would be receiving the rules on Sunday (I believe that it is post 152). I said that you would have them by late Monday or Tuesday. It is Tuesday. You should now have them.

2) One of the reasons (among many) why it is difficult to have things ironed out and as smooth as possible is that this is a strictly volunteer venture being run by people who are donating their time. If we had more people involved and volunteering that might have sped things up. Feel free to donate some time next year.

3) You are comparing a second year event with an innovative judging and presentation category to two of the most prestigious for profit and long running events in the nation.

I apologize for the delay.

Eric

Alright. We'll leave it at that. If anyone thinks I haven't offered every spare minute I have or any spare resource I have to support this contest and every contest I can, so be it. I asked for clarification on the grilling three months ago http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=676246&postcount=12, not three days ago.

And I'm not comparing Sayville to the Jack; I'm just busting Phil's balls for not defending his Sayville title and Vinny's balls for never even making it here.:twisted: Makes for great drama in 2009.

Sledneck
10-14-2008, 11:35 PM

motoeric
10-15-2008, 12:48 AM
It would greatly help us out if someone could volunteer to be an 'event photographer'.

We didn't have any organized photos last year and thank goodness a number of teams shared their photos. We would like to be a bit more organized this year and if you could help it would be appreciated.

Eric

Smoker'sLoungeBBQ
10-15-2008, 04:45 AM
It would greatly help us out if someone could volunteer to be an 'event photographer'.

We didn't have any organized photos last year and thank goodness a number of teams shared their photos. We would like to be a bit more organized this year and if you could help it would be appreciated.

Eric

My friend Rob is a professional photographer, he will be around all weekend on and off taking pictures of the event, teams, etc. I will be sure that I get a disc with all of them to Eric, Phil, etc. within a few days after the competition. Also, Eric - I'm not sure how I missed it but I was unaware that you were looking for people to volunteer their time pre-competition or I definitely would have offered. I am less than 5 minutes from the competition site so if you need anything in the next 2 weeks, feel free to PM me and ask.

rbsnwngs
10-15-2008, 06:18 AM
Dan Faraone made us a disc last year of the event I will see if he is willing to help out again.

pigmaker23
10-15-2008, 06:41 AM
Thats not true at all, the grilling portion of the contest since day one has not attempted to comply with the grilling rules as established and adopted by NEBS for 2008. This is why the grilling portion of this contest does not count for NEBS team of the year points. The grilling rules were developed in response to years of contests being organized with different and inconsistant rules and policies. It is the sole choice of the contest to adopt these rules or not, this contest did not. it should however prove interesting to judge...

Transformer BBQ
10-15-2008, 08:57 AM
I am. That's what happened. If you would like to know why, I suggest that you contact NEBS.

I completely understand their position and have no problem with it whatsoever. Hopefully other events that I'm involved with in the area (such as Smoke and Steam in Oyster Bay) will fall within the parameters of what NEBS is comfortable with and be part of the TOY series.

Eric

Eric-
That's really not correct.

NEBS came up with grilling rules in response to the fact that everyone was sick of going to contests and having to ask 900 questions about the rules since they were different depending on the organizer, and what was given was unclear... stuffing, garnish, bring your own plates, wrapping in another meat, can the sausage be premade, even down to the definition of a shellfish... or what constitues a fillet etc. ... and the NEBS rules were made to give organizers options without it being a total re-education for team every single event.

And, the NEBS grilling rules clearly state they can be modified by a organizer if he wants to make additions, changes, and then they are presented to the BOD for approval. Harpoon requires their beer to be used... GOTB limits what may be used in a stuffing... etc.

The format that you submitted included onsite judging, it was discussed and decided that as every single other event that counts towards team of the year involves blind judging, that this format was inconsistant to the point it introduced factors that were not present in any other NEBS event.

So in reponse, you and the other organizers decided you would rather use your format than change that one aspect of the contest. Which is totally fine, and obviously up to you, but lets give the whole story here before saying that NEBS turned you down like the door was closed in your face.

timzcardz
10-15-2008, 09:45 AM
To date I have been pretty quiet publicly on some of these rules issues, preferring to deal with them via PM or not at all.

Much to Clint's credit he has asked qustions about the rules, and as a result has been made to feel like a bad guy, and been labelled a whiner.

Having now officially received the rules for the grilling competition, I am more confused than ever.

I, and I’m sure many others as well, appreciate everything that has been and is being done with Battle of the BBQ Brethren.

But there were a reasonably clear set of rules for the grilling competition on the competition’s website. They covered what, times, and how to submit all entries. These are the rules that everyone to date has entered the competition under, as they were the only official rules on the competition site.

I understand that within the document it states:

“This document is subject to modification and change.

All teams will be notified of changes to the event via email.”

One concern that I have is that there is confusion being created by these changes in turn-in procedure, times, and judging, that have the potential to outweigh the benefits that are sought to be achieved by bringing out creativity and flair.

Another concern is that I generally don’t like rules that change after I have thrown my money into the pot, so to speak, and I'm sure others feel the same way too. I think it can potentially create a situation that calls into question the integrity of the event. I am sure that the changes are being made for the best of reasons, and I am not questioning your integrity, but there is a potential some to think that it is done to favor someone.

If the rules are set and never change, there is no questioning. The rules are what they are, and that’s it. However when the rules change after the fact, is the basis for the rule change beyond reproach? It’s just something to consider for the sake of the Brethren name that is attached to the competition.

Now, on to issues with the newly issued rules, as copied and pasted below (red highlightng on text added).

--This document replaces the Grilling page of the competitors application—

Saturday, 10/25/08

Battle of the BBQ Brethren

Grilling

Meat Inspection: 8:00 am ongoing
Cooks Meeting: 9:00 am

Judges Meeting
A) Sign In: 10:45 am
B) Attendance: Teams are invited to send a (singular) representative to the meeting.

Categories and Turn-Ins

A) 12:00 pm Fatty
1) A Fatty is defined as a chub of ground meat(s) cooked whole with a minimum single weight of 1 pound. Must be cooked from raw. Multiple chubs or over-sized chubs may be cooked. Open stuffing and open garnish in a 9x9 box. A minimum of 6 slices must be visible. No individually cooked smaller links (under 16oz). No cased sausages. No precooked, No pre-smoked.
2) Details on Fatties can be found here:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=121385&postcount=11 (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=121385&postcount=11)
3) Garnish is open.

B) 12:30 pm Pizza
1) We will have pizza boxes available for the competitors use.
2) Pizza dough does not need to be made on-site.
3) Each entry must be a minimum of six (6) separate slices or six (6) individual pizzas.
4) Precooked toppings will be allowed on the pizza.
5) No garnish is allowed with this category.

C) 1:00 pm Hot Dog
1) Hot Dogs will be provided by Sabrett.
a) There will be an array of styles and condiments to choose from.
2) This category will NOT count towards the overall ranking and is not mandatory.
3) Aside from the use of the Hot Dogs, everything else is up to the competitor. This category is open with no restriction on form (ie. pigs in a blanket, franks and beans, Hot Dogs in buns, etc.).
4) Hot Dogs will be presented in a standard 9*9 styrofoam box.

D) 3:00 pm on Iron Choice and Dessert
1) During the Cooks Meeting teams will be given a time in which a group of 6 judges and a table captain will be at their site for presentation of Iron Choice and Dessert.
2) Competitors at the Cooks Meeting will be given an ingredient that must be included in their Iron Choice presentation.
3) Showmanship, although encouraged, is not required and will not affect your score.
4) As long as it is non-alcoholic, drinks may be served to the judges. If you prefer not to have drinks available, water will be supplied for the judges by the organizers. Please let us know of your decision.
5) Teams may present the Iron Choice and Dessert ‘family style’ or on individual plates.
6) Teams will have 15 minutes in which to present their food to the judges. Table Captains will be on hand to ensure that the times are enforced.
7) Desserts must be cooked, assembled, prepared on site.
8 ) Iron Choice may have more than one component (ie. main dish and side dish).
9) There will be no conferring amongst judges. Comments by judges during judging regarding any competitor’s food or presentation will be strictly prohibited.
10) There are no restrictions on garnish, presentation or style with this category with the exception that all food prepared must utilize only wood, pellets or charcoal for heat sources with the exception of open flame propane/butane stoves.
11) Tableware will be provided for those that choose to use them.
12) It is asked that competition team members step away from the table to allow the judges privacy while scores are recorded.

E) Awards Ceremony times will be announced at cooks meeting.
F) KCBS Cooks meeting will follow the Grilling awards ceremony.
G) Heat sources for all categories are limited to wood, charcoal or pellets with the exception of open flame propane/butane stoves.

*Iron Choice is an amalgamation of Iron Chef and Chef’s Choice. You will be given one ingredient that must be included in your presentation.

"Chub": Are we now cooking fish or pork and other ground meats? A chub is a fresh water fish.

"We will have pizza boxes available for the competitors use.": I know it has been asked before, but what size is the pizza box? Other turn -ins have specific definition in this regard.

"No garnish is allowed with this category.": By the very definiton of garnish, toppings are a garnish also.

"will be given an ingredient that must be included in their Iron Choice presentation.": Can it just be included in the "presentation" as garnish or window dressing, or must it be part of the prepared dish?

"all food prepared must utilize only wood, pellets or charcoal for heat sources with the exception of open flame propane/butane" : As it currently reads, the rule is that "open flame propane/butane" is the exception, or a case to which the rule does not apply, to the "only wood, pellets or charcoal" rule, meaning that propane/butane is fine, but I guess and elecrtic hotplate or microwave would not be. Is it now the intent that propane and butane are permissible?

"It is asked that competition team members step away from the table to allow the judges privacy while scores are recorded." : OK, so it is "asked," but it is it required? If it is required, then just say so. If it is required, then how? Ten foot minimum with backs turned? Or perhaps just one giant step back?

To avoid confusion and misunderstanding, the rules neeed to be clear and concise. They were, but in an effort to bring out creativity have now become less clear and less concise.

Sledneck
10-15-2008, 09:55 AM
Tim are you serious?

timzcardz
10-15-2008, 10:08 AM
Tim are you serious?

Yes.

Well except for "Or perhaps just one giant step back?"

Sledneck
10-15-2008, 10:28 AM
Its a grilling contest. Lets get real folks. Enough of the petty BS. All of these questions can be asked at the cooks meeting. You know the four categories. Nothing that is in these rules will change what you cook. I have never seen a contest discussed this much EVER.. It is our hometown and namesake contest , it will be a good time. Lets keep it that way. BTW Tim, the "chub" response was so ridiculous that you are going to get smacked:biggrin:

motoeric
10-15-2008, 11:12 AM
Thats not true at all, the grilling portion of the contest since day one has not attempted to comply with the grilling rules as established and adopted by NEBS for 2008. This is why the grilling portion of this contest does not count for NEBS team of the year points. The grilling rules were developed in response to years of contests being organized with different and inconsistant rules and policies. It is the sole choice of the contest to adopt these rules or not, this contest did not. it should however prove interesting to judge...

Both of those statements are true.

We attempted to have the event count with NEBS for the Grilling. They were not able to comply as the scope of the Grilling aspects extended outside of what they had worked hard to design, so they declined.

The BBQ aspects will be counted with NEBS as part of the TOY.

Eric

BBQchef33
10-15-2008, 11:15 AM
"Chub": Are we now cooking fish or pork and other ground meats? A chub is a fresh water fish. :eek: C'mon... We all know what a turd is, but in BBQ, its not what dictionary.com says. To us a chub is a tubular hunk of meat. In the context of BBQ, no one ever called it a fish. :confused:

http://www.frickmeats.com/info/chub%20bologna%20info.html (http://www.frickmeats.com/info/chub%20bologna%20info.html)
http://www.karlehmer.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=33
http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-bar-s-5-lb-chub-i95906

"We will have pizza boxes available for the competitors use.": I know it has been asked before, but what size is the pizza box? Other turn -ins have specific definition in this regard.Pizza boxes are slice boxes, originally were going to be 10x10 as answered here. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=746661&postcount=97)People have complained that they are too small, and requested bigger, so to accommodate, we are looking into larger ones. They will be given out at the cooks meeting and you will know the exact size then. I dont see why it matters today if they are 10 or 12 or 14 inch boxes since you are preparing it ON SITE.? They are being donated by the local pizza shop.

"No garnish is allowed with this category.": By the very definiton of garnish, toppings are a garnish also.
Its a pizza catagory. Nothing in the box except the pizza(including its toppings)
(5 years working in a pizzaria and no one ever asked for meatball and pepperoni garnish. )

"will be given an ingredient that must be included in their Iron Choice presentation.": Can it just be included in the "presentation" as garnish or window dressing, or must it be part of the prepared dish?We dont care. Just include it.

that all food prepared must utilize only wood, pellets or charcoal for heat sources with the exception of open flame propane/butane stoves.We are TRYING to make it clear that u can use a stove to sautee, boil, fry, make sauce, etc.

"It is asked that competition team members step away from the table to allow the judges privacy while scores are recorded."Dont stand over the judges, glaring at the score cards and sharpening your knives. Just step away and let them judge comfortably.

motoeric
10-15-2008, 11:18 AM
Eric-

So in reponse, you and the other organizers decided you would rather use your format than change that one aspect of the contest. Which is totally fine, and obviously up to you, but lets give the whole story here before saying that NEBS turned you down like the door was closed in your face.

I didn't mean to imply that at at all. I regret my phrasing if I did imply that.

I have absolutely no problem with NEBS or their decision. There was a very good chance that I would have done the same in their shoes. They worked very hard to come up with a codified set of rules that were standardized for a reason.

We chose to go outside of those parameters. Our choice. NEBS's decision is completely understandable.

My stating that NEBS should be asked why they made the decision that they made was because I didn't feel that I should be speaking for NEBS.

For the record, we did discuss the issue with NEBS. They did deliberate. They made a decision. We accepted that decision. There is no rancor on our part at all and I certainly hope that there is none on the part of NEBS.

Eric

YankeeBBQ
10-15-2008, 11:30 AM
There is no rancor on our part at all and I certainly hope that there is none on the part of NEBS.

Eric

There is no rancor on NEBS part either Eric. We fully support you and the contest and wish you great success. Thanks for setting the record straight.

pigmaker23
10-15-2008, 11:35 AM
OK Enough of the BS, it is what it is, As the NYS Rep for NEBS I can assure all of you no ones feelings are hurt. Lets just end this thread and look forward to the contest !!! Let Creativity Rule The Day !!!

timzcardz
10-15-2008, 11:47 AM
I apologize for asking what may have seemd like silly questions, but on the other hand . . .

1) I never thought that the intent was to be able to use propane stoves in the grilling competition.

2) I honestly thought that the Iron Chef secret ingredient had to be incorporated in the dish in some meaningful way.

So I learned something that is of use to know in advance, and I'm guessing that others did too.

Now excuse me while I head to the penalty box.

Jacked UP BBQ
10-15-2008, 11:54 AM
Its a grilling contest. Lets get real folks. Enough of the petty BS. All of these questions can be asked at the cooks meeting. You know the four categories. Nothing that is in these rules will change what you cook. I have never seen a contest discussed this much EVER.. It is our hometown and namesake contest , it will be a good time. Lets keep it that way. BTW Tim, the "chub" response was so ridiculous that you are going to get smacked:biggrin:

thanks for making my response shorter on this thread. Holy chit put some food on a farking cooker and turn it the fark in. We are not creating a cure for cancer. Great Job organizers!:lol:

WannaBeBBQueen
10-15-2008, 11:58 AM
so how about that weather... it's really looking like a great weekend :biggrin:

how many people are gonna be around for the pot luck Friday night? Tryin to plan...

smokincracker
10-15-2008, 11:59 AM
WOW you Yankees sure know how to confuse a cracker:):):)
One thing for certain and two things for sure “This is gonna be entertaining,”
I’ve got front row seats and a cooler with cold refreshing beverages.
I just hope I get to eat some goooooood NY Pizzza YEEHAW
We (Jay & I) are gonna stick to the Big 4 on Sunday.
You guys are some wild and crazy GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!

smokincracker
10-15-2008, 12:08 PM
Well what you all think should I bring Jay or my new friends from MOFO LAND? :) :)

Sledneck
10-15-2008, 12:09 PM
so how about that weather... it's really looking like a great weekend :biggrin:

how many people are gonna be around for the pot luck Friday night? Tryin to plan...to early, it changes daily. Right now its calling for the R word

Transformer BBQ
10-15-2008, 12:10 PM
For the record, we did discuss the issue with NEBS. They did deliberate. They made a decision. We accepted that decision. There is no rancor on our part at all and I certainly hope that there is none on the part of NEBS.

Eric

Absolutly none at all. Just was clarifing some points I thought were a little misleading. The two things didn't mesh for certain reasons, discussion and decisions were made by both sides in an adult manner... was just filling in the NEBS side of the conversation... moving on

Sledneck
10-15-2008, 12:12 PM
Now lets move on to more important topics. Will OC pig assasins have the espresso machine on hand? Can willie b outdrink spice?

Westexbbq
10-15-2008, 12:14 PM
Well what you all think should I bring Jay or my new friends from MOFO LAND? :) :)

I vote for the new friends, (sorry Jay), but y'all have to fly into ISLIP!:rolleyes:

Sledneck
10-15-2008, 12:22 PM
I vote for the new friends, (sorry Jay), but y'all have to fly into ISLIP!:rolleyes:
Wes are you making some frito pie for the weekend?

Jacked UP BBQ
10-15-2008, 12:24 PM
Now lets move on to more important topics. Will OC pig assasins have the espresso machine on hand? Can willie b outdrink spice?

I will have espresso as long as you have your slushie machine. Together we can make espresso slushies.:tongue:

Sledneck
10-15-2008, 12:37 PM
I will have espresso as long as you have your slushie machine. Together we can make espresso slushies.:tongue: I love it when a plan comes together

motoeric
10-15-2008, 01:09 PM
This is not comprehensive as yet, but here is a list of the teams for the Battle of the BBQ Brethren 2008

Ma's Que Crew
Swamp Pit BBQ
Smoker's Lounge BBQ
Team Big Barry Q
Blazin Buttz BBQ
Baldwin Butt Burners
Out of the Ashes
Smoke In Da Eye
Bad Ass Competition BBQ Team
Up In Smoke
Sexy Gino's Bare Ass BBQ
TNT Dynamite BBQ
Transformer BBQ
Grim Reaper Smokers
Purple Turtle Catering Company
Spicy Cracker Cookers
Beach Bum Barbecue
Smok' em If Ya Got'em
Lakeside Smokers
Yabba Dabba Que!
Heavy Metal BBQ
Primal Meat Smokers
Sir Saucealot BBQ
Chubby Hubby BBQ
Smokin' Aces
Barn Crew
R2-BQ
Ocean County Pig Assassins
Big W's Bodacious Barbecue
Queer Eye for rhe BBQ Guy
Smokopolis
Hot Dawg Truck Team BBQ
Grills Gone Wild
ZBQ
Bark Burners
Better Days Barbeque
Excelerators
Green Mountain Smokeshack
Miss Cathy's Smokers
Pigmaker Productions

Sledneck
10-15-2008, 01:15 PM
I am putting my money on Queer Eye for the BBQ Guy

CTSmokehouse
10-15-2008, 02:14 PM
This is not comprehensive as yet, but here is a list of the teams for the Battle of the BBQ Brethren 2008

Ma's Que Crew
Swamp Pit BBQ
Smoker's Lounge BBQ
Team Big Barry Q
Blazin Nuttz BBQ
Baldwin Butt Burners
Out of the Ashes
Smoke In Da Eye
Up In Smoke
Sexy Gino's Bare Ass BBQ
TNT Dynamite BBQ
Transformer BBQ
Grim Reaper Smokers
Spicy Cracker Cookers
Beach Bum Barbecue
Smok' em If Ya Got'em
Lakeside Smokers
Yabba Dabba Que!
Heavy Metal BBQ
Primal Meat Smokers
Sir Saucealot BBQ
Chubby Hubby BBQ
Smokin' Aces
Barn Crew
R2-BQ
Smokopolis
Hot Dawg Truck Team BBQ
Grills Gone Wild
ZBQ
Bark Burners
Better Days Barbeque
Excelerators
Miss Cathy's Smokers

Looks like a good time!

Eric,

Could you highlight the BBQ Brethren Teams?

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

How about a Brethren Row ; ) !

Q Haven
10-15-2008, 02:39 PM
I'll take a shot....

Ma's Que Crew
Swamp Pit BBQ
Smoker's Lounge BBQ
Team Big Barry Q
Blazin Butts BBQ
Baldwin Butt Burners
Out of the Ashes
Smoke In Da Eye
Up In Smoke
Sexy Gino's Bare Ass BBQ
TNT Dynamite BBQ
Transformer BBQ
Grim Reaper Smokers
Spicy Cracker Cookers
Beach Bum Barbecue
Smok' em If Ya Got'em
Lakeside Smokers
Yabba Dabba Que!
Heavy Metal BBQ
Primal Meat Smokers
Sir Saucealot BBQ
Chubby Hubby BBQ
Smokin' Aces
Barn Crew
R2-BQ
Queer Eye for the BBQ Guy
Smokopolis
Hot Dawg Truck Team BBQ
Grills Gone Wild
ZBQ
Bark Burners
Better Days Barbeque
Excelerators
Miss Cathy's Smokers

smokincracker
10-15-2008, 03:21 PM
Spicy Cracker Cookers

Jay and Jimmy
Spice & Cracker

Westexbbq
10-15-2008, 03:49 PM
Ted,
You missed one for sure.

rbsnwngs
10-15-2008, 05:23 PM

me to i think they have a real chance

motoeric
10-15-2008, 05:27 PM
For the grilling participants that would like information on what will be provided so that they can build a tablescape:

Chinet has graciously donated:

White tablecloths
White dinner plates
Light blue medium plates
Pink medium plates

Eric

barfly
10-15-2008, 05:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledneck

me to i think they have a real chance

ya think?

SmokeInDaEye
10-15-2008, 07:16 PM
For the grilling participants that would like information on what will be provided so that they can build a tablescape:

Chinet has graciously donated:

White tablecloths
White dinner plates
Light blue medium plates
Pink medium plates

Eric

Nice. I'm donating my pink plates to queer eye.

Frank Sacco
10-15-2008, 07:43 PM

Ma's Que Crew
Swamp Pit BBQ
Smoker's Lounge BBQ
Team Big Barry Q
Blazin Nuttz BBQ
Baldwin Butt Burners
Out of the Ashes
Smoke In Da Eye
Up In Smoke
Sexy Gino's Bare Ass BBQ
TNT Dynamite BBQ
Transformer BBQ
Grim Reaper Smokers
Spicy Cracker Cookers
Beach Bum Barbecue
Smok' em If Ya Got'em
Lakeside Smokers
Yabba Dabba Que!
Heavy Metal BBQ
Primal Meat Smokers
Sir Saucealot BBQ
Chubby Hubby BBQ
Smokin' Aces
Barn Crew
R2-BQ
Smokopolis
Hot Dawg Truck Team BBQ
Grills Gone Wild
ZBQ
Bark Burners
Better Days Barbeque
Excelerators
Miss Cathy's Smokers
Pigmaker Productions

Eric you're killing me here!! Blazin Nuttz BBQ?? Are we a bunch of bbq pedifiles...LOL

Last year - Blazin' Butz BBQ
This year - Blazin' Butts BBQ

Please correct to read the following
Blazin' Buttz BBQ

Many thanks

BBQchef33
10-15-2008, 07:48 PM
i kinda liked blazin nutz.

I hear theres an ointment for that.

Frank Sacco
10-15-2008, 07:53 PM
You get blazin nuttz after not washing them for a couple of days

BBQchef33
10-15-2008, 07:54 PM
And u know that how?

Frank Sacco
10-15-2008, 07:55 PM
i kinda liked blazin nutz.

I hear theres an ointment for that.

I was told ICY/HOT works great on blazin nuttz??

Frank Sacco
10-15-2008, 07:57 PM
And u know that how?

During the USMC days. Sometimes ya bag had to go a few days without soap & water

motoeric
10-15-2008, 09:42 PM
The pink plates are part of Chinet's involvement in Breast Cancer Awareness month. Sort of apropos for the event. Chinet has been very generous and cool to work with. We really appreciate their assistance.

Eric

BBQchef33
10-15-2008, 10:35 PM
During the USMC days. Sometimes ya bag had to go a few days without soap & water

Did some tiny spot in your brain REALLY feel the need to share that tidbit of information.

TMI!!! Geezzz Im gonna go shower.

nancee
10-15-2008, 11:56 PM
As most of you know, I am a very loyal NEBS supporter...usually much to my detriment!

I have cooked in every grilling contest at every contest for years

While I do not like the NEBS griiling rules, I don't understand the concept of throwing the NEBS/KCBS outline in the trash and doing this bastardization of KCBS/MIM rules for grilling at Sayville...

So I am confused but not enough to realize that a) this is not NEBS sanctioned b) there are no TOY points and 3) there is no $$$$

so why would we want to do this other than the fact we have already put up our $25?

Last years' last minute rule changes made me crazy...I could stay at my office if I wanted that again!!!!

This is supposed to be fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And no, Clint, you are not the bad guy...
Nancee

Eric-
That's really not correct.

NEBS came up with grilling rules in response to the fact that everyone was sick of going to contests and having to ask 900 questions about the rules since they were different depending on the organizer, and what was given was unclear... stuffing, garnish, bring your own plates, wrapping in another meat, can the sausage be premade, even down to the definition of a shellfish... or what constitues a fillet etc. ... and the NEBS rules were made to give organizers options without it being a total re-education for team every single event.

And, the NEBS grilling rules clearly state they can be modified by a organizer if he wants to make additions, changes, and then they are presented to the BOD for approval. Harpoon requires their beer to be used... GOTB limits what may be used in a stuffing... etc.

The format that you submitted included onsite judging, it was discussed and decided that as every single other event that counts towards team of the year involves blind judging, that this format was inconsistant to the point it introduced factors that were not present in any other NEBS event.

Sledneck
10-16-2008, 12:10 AM
As most of you know, I am a very loyal NEBS supporter...usually much to my detriment!

I have cooked in every grilling contest at every contest for years

While I do not like the NEBS griiling rules, I don't understand the concept of throwing the NEBS/KCBS outline in the trash and doing this bastardization of KCBS/MIM rules for grilling at Sayville...

So I am confused but not enough to realize that a) this is not NEBS sanctioned b) there are no TOY points and 3) there is no $$$$

so why would we want to do this other than the fact we have already put up our $25?

Last years' last minute rule changes made me crazy...I could stay at my office if I wanted that again!!!!

This is supposed to be fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And no, Clint, you are not the bad guy...
Nanceenancee,,,,,,,,,,shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhh

BBQchef33
10-16-2008, 12:31 AM

I'm really tired of this.

In order to stop the complaining, if anyone finds this contests 'concept' completely unacceptable, I will personally give you back your 25 bucks, take you off the grilling roster and leave the prize pool intact.

Now I know why grill kings threw in the towel.

Cue's Your Daddy
10-16-2008, 04:38 AM
Big W's Bodacious BBQ is mine and my brothers(bbqesq.) team. We changed our name.

smokincracker
10-16-2008, 07:54 AM
I'm really tired of this.

In order to stop the complaining, if anyone finds this contests 'concept' completely unacceptable, I will personally give you back your 25 bucks and leave the prize pool intact.

Now I know why grill kings threw in the towel.

Can you see me now?

Like I said you are SOME WILD AND CRAZY GUYS & GALS!!!!

The fact is I have no real business posting about this grilling contest as I will be an observer (I’m a damn good observer) anyway lets consider the fact that this seems to be a contest that is being put on for a good cause and most important the flagship contest of The BBQ Brethren. I'm traveling thousands of miles to visit some life long friends in the spirit of fellowship & BBQ by the vehicle of The BBQ Brethren. I don't mean to sound dramatic but it sure sounds like this is starting to turn into a chore for a few hard working folks trying to organize this contest and watching from the sideline it seems a few have lost track of what BBQ and Brethren is all about.

Anyway what the newest SLEDCAST???? Anyone have some 5X long underwear I can barrow?:) SHEEZZZZZZZ did you say 30s at night.... I think Jay should take the night shift:)

Sledneck
10-16-2008, 07:58 AM
SLEDCAST

Saturday, Oct 25
High: 51 °F RealFeel®: 42 °F
Times of sun and clouds

Saturday Night, Oct 25
http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/common/images/wxicons/blue_night_bg/35.gif
Low: 37 °F RealFeel®: 34 °F
Partly cloudy

Sunday, Oct 26
http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/common/images/wxicons/blue_frcst_bg/03.gif
High: 54 °F RealFeel®: 51 °F
Partly sunny

Sunday Night, Oct 26
http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/common/images/wxicons/blue_night_bg/34.gif
Low: 40 °F RealFeel®: 41 °F
Mainly clear

Sledneck
10-16-2008, 08:01 AM
OK now for a real serious and important issue. Are we doing any bets?

Lakeside Smoker
10-16-2008, 08:05 AM
How about instead of a first place rib bet, we do a 13th place chicken bet. That way there's no pressure. All money should go to breast cancer awareness also.

WannaBeBBQueen
10-16-2008, 08:17 AM
How about instead of a first place rib bet, we do a 13th place chicken bet. That way there's no pressure. All money should go to breast cancer awareness also.

Great idea Mike :biggrin:
count us in:mrgreen:

Jacked UP BBQ
10-16-2008, 08:27 AM
:grin:OK now for a real serious and important issue. Are we doing any bets?

I'm willing to bet on anything! I think is maybe a problem I have.:grin:

Transformer BBQ
10-16-2008, 08:48 AM
I like rib bets

Lakeside Smoker
10-16-2008, 09:05 AM
...All money should go to breast cancer awareness also.

Let me rephrase that.
If I win that's where I'll donate the money.

Sledneck
10-16-2008, 09:08 AM
Sounds good to me. How much?

SmokeInDaEye
10-16-2008, 09:33 AM
I'm in for whatever you folks decide. How bout a bet for the sausage category too?

Sledneck
10-16-2008, 10:03 AM
I'm in for whatever you folks decide. How bout a bet for the sausage category too?I cant wait for your cooking demo!

SmokeInDaEye
10-16-2008, 11:41 AM
I cant wait for your cooking demo!

When exactly is that? Colin is coming to help and I was going to have someone film it for the Food Network thing. Originally I was going to smoke a turkey but this grilling contest is very time intensive so want to keep it simple.

May do grilled Southern style, cornmeal crusted chicken wings with a hot wing dipping sauce.

rbsnwngs
10-16-2008, 12:15 PM
we are in for any and all bets

Jacked UP BBQ
10-16-2008, 12:39 PM
Why don't we do a team raffle, have every team that wants throw in 20 bucks with their name written on it and we can have someones kid pull the name out of a hat and the winner takes all the money. 20 bucks to potentially win 800 if all forty teams get in, not bad repay on a 20 investment.

MrsBigBarry
10-16-2008, 12:42 PM

We can auction off our 13th place rubber chicken from last year - the money received from the highest bidder can go to breast cancer research :icon_bigsmil

MrsBigBarry
10-16-2008, 12:45 PM
Why don't we do a team raffle, have every team that wants throw in 20 bucks with their name written on it and we can have someones kid pull the name out of a hat and the winner takes all the money. 20 bucks to potentially win 800 if all forty teams get in, not bad repay on a 20 investment.

Works for me. If all teams get in, you could even split the pot. $200 for the first team and $600 for the last - or some other variation. Or just keep it as winner take all. No matter to me, but I'd take part.

Sledneck
10-16-2008, 01:01 PM
We can auction off our 13th place rubber chicken from last year - the money received from the highest bidder can go to breast cancer research :icon_bigsmil
Nope the chicken gets passed on to this years 13th place

SmokeInDaEye
10-16-2008, 01:17 PM

I'd be up for that. Or better yet, we all take Poobah up on his generous offer to give grilling competitors their $25 back. We pool that money, add in the prize money that would have gone to the grilling winners, and have an even bigger payout!:twisted:

Sledneck
10-16-2008, 01:20 PM
I'd be up for that. Or better yet, we all take Poobah up on his generous offer to give grilling competitors their $25 back. We pool that money, add in the prize money that would have gone to the grilling winners, and have an even bigger payout!:twisted:
Hey clint SHUT UP!!!!!!! enough dude

YankeeBBQ
10-16-2008, 01:22 PM

Whoa !!! It's Bizarro World Brethren !

SmokeInDaEye
10-16-2008, 01:25 PM

It was a joke. Get some thicker skin. I'm going to log off for a few weeks until I feel welcome to ask questions again around here.

Sledneck
10-16-2008, 01:31 PM
Has nothing to do with thicker skin. Its embarrassing

motoeric
10-16-2008, 07:37 PM
This isn't the best of all solutions, but I wanted to put it out there.

The two streets that border Gilette Park are Gilette to the west and Collins to the east.

If you go one block further to the east and about .5 miles south you will wind up at the beach.

There is a shower there and the water will be running. I don't know how much warm water they will have and I don't know how well enclosed it is, but I wanted to put that out there.

Eric