PDA

View Full Version : Kettering Question and Answer Meet

The Pigman
06-29-2008, 05:10 PM
Just Rec this from Jim.

We're less than three weeks away from the 2nd Annual Ohio Veteran Barbecue Cook-off! Hopefully you all are as excited about coming to our competition as we are about having you. Thanks to the generosity of some local businesses we were able to acquire enough support equipment to accommodate 36 teams and we're only 3 teams away from filling the field.

Kettering will be the first competition for many of you and of course, we can't think of a better place for you to compete in your first professional event. In order to help you overcome some of the 'first time jitters' we are having a question and answer session for anyone who wants to attend. This will be held at the Post on Sunday July 6 beginning at 3:00PM and is open to anyone with questions about KCBS competition rules.

Please reply by Tuesday and let me know if you will be joining us next Sunday and also how many people will be coming with you.

Jim F.

Bbq Bubba
06-29-2008, 05:17 PM
That is a great idea Jim, but why not have it like Friday of the comp so the new teams not close to Kettering can attend, or are you just looking for the locals?
Either way, great idea, woulda been nice having something like that for our first comp! :biggrin:

Podge
06-29-2008, 06:32 PM
That is a great idea Jim, but why not have it like Friday of the comp so the new teams not close to Kettering can attend, or are you just looking for the locals?
Either way, great idea, woulda been nice having something like that for our first comp! :biggrin:

It seems to me, that every friday of a comp. that the rep's ask teams that have competed before, to help out the new guys. (not verbatim of course) Some of us kind of watch who the new guys are, and after the judges meeting, we go up and talk to a couple of teams. If they have questions, we help them, if not, well... we got to meet them and tell them that if they need anything they know where we're parked. I still remember my first contest, and it made me feel a lot better knowing that there were so many freindly people willing to help. We have to pass that on.

Bbq Bubba
06-29-2008, 07:20 PM
It seems to me, that every friday of a comp. that the rep's ask teams that have competed before, to help out the new guys. (not verbatim of course) Some of us kind of watch who the new guys are, and after the judges meeting, we go up and talk to a couple of teams. If they have questions, we help them, if not, well... we got to meet them and tell them that if they need anything they know where we're parked. I still remember my first contest, and it made me feel a lot better knowing that there were so many freindly people willing to help. We have to pass that on.

I totally agree, the commaradity found at BBQ comps is what got me hooked. Our first comp last year found us between some heavy hitters and within 2 hrs of setting up we were feeling right at home like we were on the circuit for years!!

The Pigman
06-29-2008, 07:47 PM
Well I dont know ......seems to me the closer it gets the more I wonder if I know what I am doing......

Rolling Smoke
06-30-2008, 06:00 AM

The reason we picked Sunday July 6 is because it's the only day we have open. We are not looking for just the local teams as you suggest, however most of the first time teams are local.

While date and distance are a consideration in scheduling, it's also noteworthy to mention that we held a CBJ class two weeks ago on Fathers Day and had people from as far away as NC make the trip for the 6 hour class.

We will be offering the new cook orientation again on Friday during the contest and with all the seasoned (pun intended) teams that have entered, I'm sure we will find some folks that are more than willing to mentor the new guys.

Rolling Smoke
06-30-2008, 06:07 AM

You're right Podge. That was an awkward moment in Nashville when they asked for mentors in the cook's meeting and nobody volunteered to help the only new team there. You and I did make a point of visiting them and offering to help after the cook's meeting. I'm sure a couple of other teams probably did the same thing.

Rolling Smoke
06-30-2008, 06:16 AM
Well I dont know ......seems to me the closer it gets the more I wonder if I know what I am doing......

That's normal Roger. On the other hand, some first time competitors go out there thinking they are going to cut a fat hog in the ass and they wind up getting their own ass handed to them. :biggrin:

Rick's Tropical Delight
06-30-2008, 06:40 AM

i'm right there with ya, man! i'm trying not to worry about it, and trying to concentrate on making it fun. then whatever happens, happens.

i won't be able to attend the q&a session as i'll be in kentucky... cooking :biggrin:

StayDown
06-30-2008, 09:02 AM
I am looking forward to this. I will be hooking up with a brethren and helping him out. I can't wait to learn as much as I can!

Rolling Smoke
06-30-2008, 09:55 AM
Don't know who you're helping but you'll be in the right place to learn. We've got some great teams coming in to compete.

Dale P
06-30-2008, 10:12 AM
Hey Jim, you only have 2 spots left, we are coming! You have a PM

StayDown
06-30-2008, 10:37 AM
Don't know who you're helping but you'll be in the right place to learn. We've got some great teams coming in to compete.

I will be cooking with Big Mike it looks like. I have had a few offers and I thank everyone for their kindness but Mike is cooking alone, lives here in Dayton
(where I live) and it seems like it would be good to work with him.

Big Mike
06-30-2008, 12:20 PM
Did you get my last PMs? If so, give me a shout.

Rolling Smoke
06-30-2008, 01:01 PM
Hey Jim, you only have 2 spots left, we are coming! You have a PM

Gotcha covered Dale. This is going to be like the family reunion I never had with all you KY boys coming up to Ohio. :lol:

Rolling Smoke
06-30-2008, 01:03 PM
I will be cooking with Big Mike it looks like. I have had a few offers and I thank everyone for their kindness but Mike is cooking alone, lives here in Dayton
(where I live) and it seems like it would be good to work with him.

you're in good company

Rolling Smoke
06-30-2008, 01:04 PM
Did you get my last PMs? If so, give me a shout.

I haven't received any PM's from you Mike. When did you send them?

Dale P
06-30-2008, 04:13 PM
I just looked at the list of who is going. Wow.
I better start drinking now.

Rolling Smoke
07-01-2008, 06:23 AM
I already have :wink:

Dale P
07-01-2008, 06:44 AM
Check is written, and going to be sent this morning. Can we come thursday night?

Rolling Smoke
07-01-2008, 08:50 AM
You sure can. Several others are rolling in on Thursday so you won't be alone. I can't remember what kind of rig you have Dale. Are you good on grass or do you need blacktop?

StayDown
07-01-2008, 08:56 AM
Just curious, how many spectators show up for this event if any?

Big Mike
07-01-2008, 09:16 AM
I already have :wink:

Its only 6:23 in the morning.

Rolling Smoke
07-01-2008, 10:25 AM
Just curious, how many spectators show up for this event if any?

Why? Are you starting to get nervous about being seen with Mike?

Rolling Smoke
07-01-2008, 10:26 AM
Its only 6:23 in the morning.

Not where I am

StayDown
07-01-2008, 10:32 AM

Starting too? I have been nervous about being see with him! :tongue:

Seriously though..I was just wondering if you had people that came to watch and if food was available for the spectators.

Big Mike
07-01-2008, 11:02 AM

Hey now, thats not right. You'll scare him away. Let him find out for himself.:lol::lol:

StayDown
07-01-2008, 11:06 AM
Hey now, thats not right. You'll scare him away. Let him find out for himself.:lol::lol:

Why did the music from Deliverance just start playing in my head?? :eek:

Rolling Smoke
07-01-2008, 11:28 AM
Starting too? I have been nervous about being see with him! :tongue:

Seriously though..I was just wondering if you had people that came to watch and if food was available for the spectators.

It is open to the public and there will be food and craft beers available for sale. We're getting some airtime on WTUE, WONE and WBZI so hopefully that will get the public all fired up about coming out.

http://www.ohiovetbbq.com/wtue60.mp3

Rolling Smoke
07-01-2008, 11:29 AM

Normally I would but I need some good karma coming my way.

Rolling Smoke
07-01-2008, 11:30 AM
Why did the music from Deliverance just start playing in my head?? :eek:

there's nothing slow about you is there?

StayDown
07-01-2008, 11:34 AM
there's nothing slow about you is there?

LOL...nope..there sure isn't! :icon_cool

StayDown
07-01-2008, 11:35 AM
It is open to the public and there will be food and craft beers available for sale. We're getting some airtime on WTUE, WONE and WBZI so hopefully that will get the public all fired up about coming out.

http://www.ohiovetbbq.com/wtue60.mp3 (http://www.ohiovetbbq.com/wtue60.mp3)

I heard the commercial on TUE while listening to Bob and Tom..and did someone say "Craft beer" :icon_bigsmil

Rolling Smoke
07-01-2008, 11:36 AM
LOL...nope..there sure isn't! :icon_cool

just don't make any high pitched squeels around Mike :biggrin:

StayDown
07-01-2008, 11:39 AM
just don't make any high pitched squeels around Mike :biggrin:

Thanks god the pork will be dead. If not I would be afraid it would squeal and he would think it is me trying to turn him on! :eek:

Big Mike
07-01-2008, 11:49 AM
I may be from Alabama, but I'm not that backwoods.

StayDown
07-01-2008, 12:00 PM

Good to know Mike..good...to..know!

Rolling Smoke
07-01-2008, 12:01 PM
I heard the commercial on TUE while listening to Bob and Tom..and did someone say "Craft beer" :icon_bigsmil

Yep, craft beer. Belmont Party Supply is one of our sponsors and so is Cavalier Distributing so we should be in for a real treat.

Rolling Smoke
07-01-2008, 12:03 PM

No, you're more of a stumps kinda guy

StayDown
07-01-2008, 12:05 PM
Yep, craft beer. Belmont Party Supply is one of our sponsors and so is Cavalier Distributing so we should be in for a real treat.

I buy loads of beer from Belmont! Been researching brewing my own for about a year now.

Dale P
07-01-2008, 01:33 PM
You sure can. Several others are rolling in on Thursday so you won't be alone. I can't remember what kind of rig you have Dale. Are you good on grass or do you need blacktop?

We have a sm trailer that we pull with my Expedition.
Grass is fine, with a shade tree, and a pee box near by.

Rolling Smoke
07-01-2008, 02:02 PM
We have a sm trailer that we pull with my Expedition.
Grass is fine, with a shade tree, and a pee box near by.

Dale, we've got plenty of grass, a bunch of shade trees and several pee boxes so I think we can satisfy your requests.

Here's an aerial of the post

http://www.ohiovetbbq.com/aerial_1.JPG

Those are locust trees near the bottom and that's where you and the rest of the grass people will be.

Podge
07-01-2008, 02:51 PM
You best get Dale a deep pee box, him and his boys can put down some beers !!!... well, of course, like all Kentucky boys do.

Dale P
07-01-2008, 03:09 PM
DEEP! Might as well take the seat off of the one closest to the brothers. Dont want to wear the hinges out because we will put the seat up, then down for the ladys and you Northern fellars.

Ford
07-01-2008, 05:23 PM
Dale, we've got plenty of grass, a bunch of shade trees and several pee boxes so I think we can satisfy your requests.

Here's an aerial of the post

http://www.ohiovetbbq.com/aerial_1.JPG

Those are locust trees near the bottom and that's where you and the rest of the grass people will be.

So where will the asphalt guys go? I probably could go on grass but the trailer is 31 feet with the EZUP for rain. Not that it would rain at a contest I'm at.

Not sure if I'll stay here Thursday and come down early Friday or drive down Thursday night and get a room. Any Marriott properties close (Fairfield, Springhill, Courtyard, etc)

Dale P
07-01-2008, 08:49 PM
Hey Ford, look at the pic real close and the asphalt people go on that stuff that is kinda dark with the white lines running thru it. I will be over there with the cicadas. Looking forward to meeting you and seeing everyone.

Ford
07-01-2008, 09:25 PM
Hey Ford, look at the pic real close and the asphalt people go on that stuff that is kinda dark with the white lines running thru it. I will be over there with the cicadas. Looking forward to meeting you and seeing everyone.
Dang it all I didn't know that. Looks like I can get a pretty big spot for my rig with all that black stuff.

Big Mike
07-01-2008, 10:17 PM
Ford, there is a Fairfield Inn about 4 miles away and there is a Courtyard that is about 10 miles away, but it is just off of I-75 after you come through downtown. I'm assuming you would pass right by it since you would be coming from Michigan. There is also a Courtyard in Beavercreek about 10 miles away.

Fairfield Inn (4 miles away)
http://www.hotels.com/images/r3d3sign07/stars/2.5.gif 8035 Washington Village Dr

Dayton, OH, 45458
866-538-0336

Courtyard Dayton (just off of I-75, about 10 miles away)
http://www.hotels.com/images/r3d3sign07/stars/3.gif 2006 Edwin C. Moses Blvd

Dayton, OH, 45408
866-538-0336

Courtyard Beavercreek (just off of I-675 about 10 miles away)
2777 Fairfield Common
Beavercreek, OH 45431
1 937-429-5203

Rolling Smoke
07-02-2008, 06:58 AM
So where will the asphalt guys go? I probably could go on grass but the trailer is 31 feet with the EZUP for rain. Not that it would rain at a contest I'm at.

Not sure if I'll stay here Thursday and come down early Friday or drive down Thursday night and get a room. Any Marriott properties close (Fairfield, Springhill, Courtyard, etc)

Ford, the bigger rigs will go in the green outlined area.

http://www.ohiovetbbq.com/aerial_1a.JPG

The Fairfield Inn on Washington Village Dr. that Big Mike referenced would be your best bet considering you will probably come straight down I-75 then pickup I-675 north.

Rolling Smoke
07-02-2008, 07:04 AM

I've seen less than a dozen cicadas up here all summer. I thought I had killed them all on BG Parkway last month on the way to Nashville.

ZBQ
07-02-2008, 07:19 AM
PM sent Jim.

Bud's BBQ
07-02-2008, 07:32 AM
Jim, tonto and I are always willing to help newbies. We certainly were helped out in our first few comps.

Rolling Smoke
07-02-2008, 01:33 PM
Thanks Bud! We'll have several new teams and I'm sure they will appreciate the help. I'll also pass the word along to the Braziers.

The Pigman
07-07-2008, 10:10 AM
Well you all have to forgive me where as I started thread and this is first time to get back to it...........beeen busy week and I am more drunk and scared now than I was before I went yesterday to the meeting. Hoping to meet everyone and to see alot more as times go on.
Big Hitters -----Brethren knowing ----was hoping for 36 out 37 teams being newbes....
Thank you to both Jims and everyone else that have made me feel welcome and that has answered many of questions.
Just hoping I remember which end of the Lang to light when I get there. Found a yard sale on the way home from Kettering yesterday and found a cookbook there so I have 2 weeks to learn how to cook.
Well glass empty cant sober up for 2 weeks let me know when its time to pull out Sunday.......

JayAre
07-07-2008, 04:57 PM
I would also like to say a big 'ol thanks to the Jim's for the great reception yesterday, I was really looking forward to the comp, and now am even more excited! everyone seems really great, this will be a great time for sure. I just hope I remember to bring something to cook!:icon_cool

Rolling Smoke
07-08-2008, 07:05 AM
We hope you got a little something out of it besides the craft beers from Belmont Party Supply and the barbecue.

The Pigman
07-08-2008, 09:12 PM
That was nice having that ....every time I see you I smell pig :) Thanks Jim Stop in Fri night for some chili.

Big Mike
07-08-2008, 10:16 PM
That was nice having that ....every time I see you I smell pig :) Thanks Jim Stop in Fri night for some chili.

Uhhhh, is that a compliment or a put down.:lol:

The Pigman
07-10-2008, 12:01 AM
Mike thats a compliment ............like the smell of that pig -cooking or cooked.....always have always will. But then you know Jim better than I do......????

Rolling Smoke
07-10-2008, 12:04 PM
This competition is making history on several levels. Not only are we the biggest contest Ohio has ever seen but after reading the two previous posts, I think we will be one of the first contests to have a two way tie for dead ass last.

ZBQ
07-10-2008, 12:10 PM
This competition is making history on several levels. Not only are we the biggest contest Ohio has ever seen but after reading the two previous posts, I think we will be one of the first contests to have a two way tie for dead ass last.

:lol:

Big Mike
07-10-2008, 12:39 PM

Hey now, I was sticking up for you. He was the one saying you smelled like a pig.:shock:

Rick's Tropical Delight
07-10-2008, 06:39 PM
hahahaha!
this is gonna be HUGE!

The Pigman
07-10-2008, 07:31 PM
Hey now I didnt say that cant say noting bad about a man that feeds you everytime you see him.........well at least I wont be the only one there in last

The Pigman
07-10-2008, 07:41 PM
Am I counting right we are at 38 teams.................

JayAre
07-10-2008, 09:10 PM
My goal is pretty much NOT to be dead ass last, but I think I'm a lock for that spot...doesn't matter, as long as the beer is cold and the atmosphere is good, I will be a winner!!! We are looking Soooo forward to this, last or not, we plan on having fun.:icon_cool

Big Mike
07-10-2008, 09:16 PM
My goal is pretty much NOT to be dead ass last, but I think I'm a lock for that spot...doesn't matter, as long as the beer is cold and the atmosphere is good, I will be a winner!!! We are looking Soooo forward to this, last or not, we plan on having fun.:icon_cool

Thats the name of the game.:-D

Big Mike
07-10-2008, 09:17 PM
Am I counting right we are at 38 teams.................

You are counting right

dhuffjr
07-11-2008, 06:32 PM
Fun is good. We were a first time team last year and had a blast. We've been looking forward to this year. Largest ever in Ohio eh? Cool stuff indeed.

I keep hearing rumors about some crazzy gathering on a farm........smoke whisping through the trees with strains of Yasgurs Farm playing in the background........

Rick's Tropical Delight
07-11-2008, 07:48 PM
hahaha! hey look! it's dhuffjr! another all-egg team. i think you and me might be the only all-egg teams there.

and yes, go over to the brethren bash area and look up the ohio-michigan brethren bash, 8-11 nov here on the island :biggrin:

Dale P
07-12-2008, 09:21 AM
happy fun time is right around the corner! today im gonna practice my high liquid intake. i will be ready for the 12 oz curl championship come friday.

JayAre
07-12-2008, 10:38 AM
happy fun time is right around the corner! today im gonna practice my high liquid intake. i will be ready for the 12 oz curl championship come friday.

Now that's the part of the contest I'm NOT worried about coming in last in, I've been practicing that for years! :icon_cool

The Pigman
07-14-2008, 06:56 AM

12 oz. only???????????? seems wimpy to me LOL

See ya all in a couple of days...

Podge
07-14-2008, 10:07 AM

you'll definitely beat me then !! i don't drink much on friday night. (thursday and saturday nights are a different story.)

Dale P
07-14-2008, 10:13 AM
Finally a true bbq secret from my award winning pal Podge! Too bad im a slow learner.
Just got home from dropping my Wife & Daughter off at the airport. They went to Tampa, I went to the liquor store.

dhuffjr
07-14-2008, 11:04 AM
you'll definitely beat me then !! i don't drink much on friday night. (thursday and saturday nights are a different story.)
Dang man don't give away all your secrets