PDA

View Full Version : Roll Call. Inside 30 days. Illinois State BBQ Championship, Shannon, IL - July 11&12, 2008

Ron_L
06-28-2008, 09:06 AM
Captain Ron's Brew-n-Que will be there! Look for a white 6x12 cargo trailer with windows and an awning and our logo banner (no Brethren banner yet :cry:) We'll have home roast coffee brewing for Saturday morning (bring your own cup :rolleyes:). Stop by and say hello to Amy and me!

Who else is coming to BBQ's Field of Dreams (http://www.ilstatebbqchampionship.com/)?

Plowboy
06-28-2008, 09:15 AM
I'll be there solo.

Ron_L
06-28-2008, 09:18 AM
It will be great to meet you, Todd!

billm
06-28-2008, 05:14 PM
Ill be cookin the Butt To Butt with Chi-Town Smokers but will not be staying for the rest of the comp..have a product demo that Saturday

ipls3355
06-28-2008, 06:18 PM
I may put this on my list when I get into the swing of things. How does the butt to butt contest work?

Jorge
06-28-2008, 06:22 PM
I'll be there solo.

No Michael? We all know he's the cook:wink:

Ron_L
06-28-2008, 07:00 PM
I may put this on my list when I get into the swing of things. How does the butt to butt contest work?

Butt to butt is an invitational. 10 teams including the team who took first place in pork at Shannon the previous year (Chi Town Smokers in this case).

Plowboy
06-28-2008, 07:02 PM

You have to qualify for the Butt to Butt by winning pork at selected contests.

No Michael? We all know he's the cook:wink:

I'm trying to get Andy to come with me.

Stoke&Smoke
06-29-2008, 09:16 AM
2SkinnyCooks will be there Ron!

I'll remember to bring my coffee cup this time....remember your shot glass!:biggrin:

Ron_L
06-29-2008, 10:00 AM
2SkinnyCooks will be there Ron!

I'll remember to bring my coffee cup this time....remember your shot glass!:biggrin:

So the shot fairy will be making an appearance? :biggrin: Cool!

Squeeze
06-29-2008, 02:09 PM
You have to qualify for the Butt to Butt by winning pork at selected contests.

Which contests are qualifiers, their site has been down for a few days...

-Kevin

Smokin Diablo
06-29-2008, 07:10 PM
Hey Ron, the Soy City Smokers will be there. The rest of my team cant make the trip so I am coming alone. Shannon has been on our list to do for 3 years and we never seem to make it. Things fell apart again this year and I just decided to do it alone. First time trying to do a competition with no experienced help, will be a big challenge. I will look for you and I will need the coffee, have to remember to pack my coffee cup.

Ron_L
06-29-2008, 08:19 PM
Which contests are qualifiers, their site has been down for a few days...

-Kevin

I've never found an official list but i did find a site that shows the qualifiers for this year.

http://dodgecountysmokers.blogspot.com/2008/03/butt-to-butt-x-teams-announced.html

Hey Ron, the Soy City Smokers will be there. The rest of my team cant make the trip so I am coming alone. Shannon has been on our list to do for 3 years and we never seem to make it. Things fell apart again this year and I just decided to do it alone. First time trying to do a competition with no experienced help, will be a big challenge. I will look for you and I will need the coffee, have to remember to pack my coffee cup.

We're looking forward to meeting you!

Ulcer Acres
06-29-2008, 08:46 PM
Ulcer Acres will be there, we will be way out in the outfield with Smokey D's (Smokin Clones)

Bud's BBQ
06-29-2008, 09:22 PM
The Smo Scos will be there in the Mo Ho......I'll take a cup of that coffee ron.

Plowboy
06-29-2008, 09:26 PM
The Smo Scos will be there in the Mo Ho......I'll take a cup of that coffee ron.

Looking forward to meeting you guys. Will Ford be making the trip down?

This is going to be a fun weekend. Can't wait.

Bud's BBQ
06-29-2008, 09:56 PM
Tonto, I and the team are looking forward to meeting you, Todd.

When are you getting in?

Plowboy
06-29-2008, 10:04 PM
Tonto, I and the team are looking forward to meeting you, Todd.

When are you getting in?

Not sure yet. Was thinking Thursday mid day. It could be bright and early Friday morning if my good luck charm comes a long.

Ron_L
06-29-2008, 10:37 PM
Ulcer Acres will be there, we will be way out in the outfield with Smokey D's (Smokin Clones)

If you feel like slumming and make it over to the cheap seats, stop by and get a tour of our new rig (it won't take long :-D), I'll buy you a beer or a cup of coffee, or both. I haven't seen you guys yet this year.

Will Ford be making the trip down?

It looks like he is going to Goshen IN.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45154

HoDeDo
06-29-2008, 11:15 PM
Not sure yet. Was thinking Thursday mid day. It could be bright and early Friday morning if my good luck charm comes a long.

I'm thinkin you will be there Mid-day Thurs...... 8-)

parrothead
06-30-2008, 08:00 AM
I will sadly not be there. Shannon is a great competition. Just too much going on. All have a great time. I'll be thinking about you guys.

Stoke&Smoke
06-30-2008, 03:46 PM
So the shot fairy will be making an appearance? :biggrin: Cool!

Hell, if we can't get a call, at least we can make folks happy!:razz:

ModelMaker
07-02-2008, 12:48 PM

I noticed the name change in Marshalltown. Anybody know why they changed it? Was the law getting close?
ModelMaker

Scottie
07-02-2008, 01:24 PM
Business decision. As much as Clone loves the hawkeyes, business I am sure comes first...

Plowboy
07-02-2008, 02:52 PM
I noticed the name change in Marshalltown. Anybody know why they changed it? Was the law getting close?
ModelMaker

Business decision. As much as Clone loves the hawkeyes, business I am sure comes first...

I heard witness protection program. :cool:

Plowboy
07-06-2008, 01:09 PM
Will there be showers available? For the Butt to Butt folks, that's a long weekend without a shower.

billm
07-06-2008, 02:09 PM
Todd - never saw showers available unless you get a room somewhere..you cooking the Butt to Butt too?

Plowboy
07-06-2008, 02:10 PM
Todd - never saw showers available unless you get a room somewhere..you cooking the Butt to Butt too?

I'm helping one of the Butt to Butt teams Thurs-Fri.

billm
07-06-2008, 04:04 PM
I'm helping one of the Butt to Butt teams Thurs-Fri.
look forward to meeting you then..all Ive met so far is your Yardbird rub which is great BTW

n-2-que
07-08-2008, 09:09 PM
Well just got a email from Theresa( spelling) for judging this seems there was a few late entries and need some judges, soooo i will take all Donations :P Good luck to you all hopefully i will be able to stop and say hello to everyone.

Ron_L
07-08-2008, 09:29 PM
Stop by and say Hi, Bill! Is Diane coming too?

n-2-que
07-08-2008, 09:35 PM
Dianne and her nephew Ben will be walking around she won't be judging so if anyone needs a dishwasher :P ok i won't say that she will kill me LOL .. epp she just looked over my shoulder i got some feet to rub tonight.

parrothead
07-12-2008, 12:30 PM
Good luck you guys. I know that turn in will be starting very shortly.

SMOKEHUNTERS
07-12-2008, 08:34 PM
Way to go Joey Mac's Smoke Stax
Grand Champion Shannon IL.

n-2-que
07-12-2008, 09:09 PM
Grats to Ron L on 4th overall =)

billm
07-12-2008, 09:26 PM
yep Joey has been a on good roll this year..a well deserved win!
Congrats to Ron too..hey Ron I stopped by your site late friday afternoon to say hi but no one was around..left for home shortly after

Ron_L
07-12-2008, 09:51 PM
yep Joey has been a on good roll this year..a well deserved win!
Congrats to Ron too..hey Ron I stopped by your site late friday afternoon to say hi but no one was around..left for home shortly after

Sorry I missed you. We were probably enjoying the air conditioning at the Smokin Scotsmen motor home :rolleyes: You missed all the fun. The rain was incredible. Perry lost both canopies to the wind. So did at least one oher team. The field was like a swamp in some areas and at least one team had to be pulled out of their spot.

We were thrilled to place 4th with that bunch of teams. We ended up walking twice (5th in chicken and 10th in pork) and 11th in ribs and 16th in brisket.

Despite the weather it was a great time. We had a chance to hang out with the Scotsmen and that is always fun. We also saw Dann and Diane (Two Skinny Cooks, Dann is Smoke and Stoke on the forum), N2Que (Bill and Diane), Keened (Dave), Plowboy and 2Fat (Buzz) from the forum (did i leave anyone out?).

Dave, thanks for helping out this morning!

Plowboy
07-12-2008, 11:41 PM
Sure was a fun weekend. Was surprised to finish 11th overall despite no top 10 calls. A moral victory, I guess.

Did you get to meet Dodge County Smokers? After the Pit fire that we had to put out and the storms, we renamed the contest from Field of Dreams to Field of Terror. I thought we were all dead when those propane lines started to go with the flames licking the tanks.

MilitantSquatter
07-13-2008, 12:51 AM
Way to go guys...

And special congrats to Ronelle for showing any naysayers that his previous contest placing was definitely not a fluke.

parrothead
07-13-2008, 08:22 AM
Wow! Very nice! Congrats to Ron!

And to Plowboy. 11th is great in Shannon.

parrothead
07-13-2008, 08:29 AM
Any lists of the whole thing?

billm
07-13-2008, 08:37 AM
Sorry I missed you. We were probably enjoying the air conditioning at the Smokin Scotsmen motor home :rolleyes: You missed all the fun. The rain was incredible. Perry lost both canopies to the wind. So did at least one oher team. The field was like a swamp in some areas and at least one team had to be pulled out of their spot.

We were thrilled to place 4th with that bunch of teams. We ended up walking twice (5th in chicken and 10th in pork) and 11th in ribs and 16th in brisket.

Despite the weather it was a great time. We had a chance to hang out with the Scotsmen and that is always fun. We also saw Dann and Diane (Two Skinny Cooks, Dann is Smoke and Stoke on the forum), N2Que (Bill and Diane), Keened (Dave), Plowboy and 2Fat (Buzz) from the forum (did i leave anyone out?).

Dave, thanks for helping out this morning!
yea..I heard about the storm damage yesterday
Thursday night when we cooked for Butt to Butt was not all that hot either ..I never saw a light show like that before..not many times you see the sky orange, deep black and with a double rainbow all at the same time..all with plenty of lightning

Ron_L
07-13-2008, 09:06 AM
Sure was a fun weekend. Was surprised to finish 11th overall despite no top 10 calls. A moral victory, I guess.

Did you get to meet Dodge County Smokers? After the Pit fire that we had to put out and the storms, we renamed the contest from Field of Dreams to Field of Terror. I thought we were all dead when those propane lines started to go with the flames licking the tanks.

I met Dodge county briefly as we were all heading out. I didn't walk around as much as normal. Having the cooks meeting so late messed with my social time :-D

I didn't hear about the pit fire. What happened?

Way to go guys...

And special congrats to Ronelle for showing any naysayers that his previous contest placing was definitely not a fluke.

Brew-B-Q
07-13-2008, 10:09 AM
Congrats Ron!

Plowboy
07-13-2008, 10:09 AM
yea..I heard about the storm damage yesterday
Thursday night when we cooked for Butt to Butt was not all that hot either ..I never saw a light show like that before..not many times you see the sky orange, deep black and with a double rainbow all at the same time..all with plenty of lightning

Here's your rainbow, Bill. That was a cool sight.

Plowboy
07-13-2008, 10:11 AM
Here's a better shot of the double rainbow.

billm
07-13-2008, 03:20 PM
great pics..thanks for posting Todd

tonto1117
07-13-2008, 03:40 PM
Wow, what a weekend!!! Big congrat's to Joey Mac's Smoke Stax on the GC and Ron L and Amiee on 4th overall and two walks!!:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clapWas great to meet Todd and thanks so much for the Apple Dump cake...tastes better than the one I make from your recipe...so you must have left somthing out???:twisted::biggrin: Congat's on your 11th fiish overall in that field (literally and figurativley)and Rod on his first place Brisket and 3rd Overall!!

Had a great time at dinner Friday night with Ron, Amiee,Kathy,Dan and Di, and even Todd stopped by for a late bite.......ended up taking the left over Shrimp and Sausage Etouffe and making a fatty with it. We thought it was great...the judges...not so much.:redface: We were pretty happy to take a walk with 6th place in pork and even happy with our 13th place chicken(Sled's curse:roll:)That's two 13th place chickens in the last three contest's...that's what we get for busting his chops all the time..:tongue:

Congrat's to everyone else that took a walk....it truly is a Field of Dreams...and apparantly some nasty storms somtimes too.:wink:

billm
07-13-2008, 03:45 PM
anyone got top tens they can post???

tonto1117
07-13-2008, 03:53 PM
Here ya go...

GC-Joey Mac Smoke stax

RG-Dodge County Smokers
3.Pellet Envy
4.Capt Ron's Brew-N-Que
5.Coach's Cooking Team
6.A Boy and his BBQ
7.Church of Swinetology
8.The Heat is On
9.Ribs and Bibs
10.Cancer Sucks Chicago

Plowboy
07-13-2008, 05:47 PM
Here ya go...

GC-Joey Mac Smoke stax

RG-Dodge County Smokers
3.Pellet Envy
4.Capt Ron's Brew-N-Que
5.Coach's Cooking Team
6.A Boy and his BBQ
7.Church of Swinetology
8.The Heat is On
9.Ribs and Bibs
10.Cancer Sucks Chicago
11.Pork Pullin Plowboys:icon_bigsmil

I'm sure you meant to go to 11th.

Plowboy
07-13-2008, 05:48 PM
What does Joey Mac cook on?

Brew-B-Q
07-13-2008, 06:03 PM
Pretty sure it's a FEC-100

Ron_L
07-13-2008, 06:05 PM
Yep... FEC-100 except chicken. He uses a WSM for chicken.

Hope tha wasn't a secret. :rolleyes:

Plowboy
07-13-2008, 06:10 PM
Man, there were a lot of FEC's out there this weekend. Never seen so many at one contest.

h2o
07-13-2008, 07:55 PM
Anybody know the results of the Butt to Butt contest ?

Plowboy
07-13-2008, 08:20 PM
Butt2Butt 10 - Weekend Smokers

Butt2Butt 10 year Champions - BBQ'ers Delight

billm
07-13-2008, 08:59 PM
Here ya go...

GC-Joey Mac Smoke stax

RG-Dodge County Smokers
3.Pellet Envy
4.Capt Ron's Brew-N-Que
5.Coach's Cooking Team
6.A Boy and his BBQ
7.Church of Swinetology
8.The Heat is On
9.Ribs and Bibs
10.Cancer Sucks Chicago
thanks Tonto!

Ron_L
07-13-2008, 09:49 PM
The full results are on the KCBS site now. Here are the top 10s...

Overall:
1 JOEY MAC'S SMOKE STAX
2 DODGE COUNTY SMOKERS
3 PELLET ENVY
4 CAPTAIN RON'S BREW-N-QUE
5 COACH'S COOKING TEAM
6 A BOY AND HIS BBQ
7 CHURCH OF SWINETOLOGY
8 THE HEAT IS ON
9 RIBS & BIBS
10 CANCER SUCKS CHICAGO.COM
11 PORK PULLIN PLOWBOYS

Chicken:
1 PELLET ENVY
2 QUAU
3 RACCOON FLATS
4 SMOKEY JOEL/ CUBBY BEAR
5 CAPTAIN RON'S BREW-N-QUE
6 MEADOW VALLEY BBQ
7 WINDY CITY SMOKERS
8 JOEY MAC'S SMOKE STAX
9 EMERALD BUFFALO
10 LOTTA BULL BBQ
13 SMOKIN SCOTSMEN (Winner of the Sledneck Chicken Award :-D)

Ribs:
1 A BOY AND HIS BBQ
2 JOEY MAC'S SMOKE STAX
3 PIG DADDY
4 BIG BUBBA'S ROADHOUSE BB
5 LET'S KICK SOME ASH
6 DODGE COUNTY SMOKERS
7 THE INLAWS COOKING CREW
8 CHURCH OF SWINETOLOGY
9 KRE SMOKERS
10 PORKRASTINATORS
11 CAPTAIN RON'S BREW-N-QUE
13 PORK PULLIN PLOWBOYS (winner of the first ever Sledneck Rib Award :-D)

Pork:
1 COACH'S COOKING TEAM
2 ULCER ACRES BBQ
3 MEAN DEAN'S SMOKIN' MACH
4 HOLY SOW
5 CANCER SUCKS CHICAGO.COM
6 SMOKIN SCOTSMEN
7 BBQR'S DELIGHT
8 FULL FRONTAL BBQ
9 CHURCH OF SWINETOLOGY
10 CAPTAIN RON'S BREW-N-QUE

Brisket:
1 PELLET ENVY
2 DODGE COUNTY SMOKERS
3 IOWA'S SMOKEY D'S BBQ
4 JOEY MAC'S SMOKE STAX
5 MEAN DEAN'S SMOKIN' MACH
6 BARTLETT BONEHEADS
7 NICE RACK
8 THE HEAT IS ON
9 RIBS & BIBS
10 WILD BUNCH BUTT BURNERS

Plowboy
07-13-2008, 09:55 PM
Mean Dean and I were talking about starting up a contest similar to Butt to Butt (Pork) or Chest to Chest (Brisket). Our contest would be for chicken: Thigh to Thigh. The winner would get the coveted Golden Wishbone.

Neal
07-13-2008, 11:59 PM
Anybody know the results of the Butt to Butt contest ?

I don't have Tournament of Champions results, but here are full results for Butt to Butt X...

Butt to Butt X Results:
1. Weekend Smokers
2. Pellet Envy
3. Dodge County Smokers
4. The Heat is On
5. Wild Bunch Butt Burners
6. Smokin' Triggers
7. Chi-Town Smokers
8. ButtRub.com

michiana mark
07-14-2008, 12:33 PM
Congrats to all that got the call, and went for the walk.

Sledneck
07-14-2008, 01:19 PM
We were pretty happy to take a walk with 6th place in pork and even happy with our 13th place chicken(Sled's curse:roll:)That's two 13th place chickens in the last three contest's...that's what we get for busting his chops all the time..:tongue:

Congrats!! Lucky 13!!!!! Nah nah nah nah

Stoke&Smoke
07-14-2008, 04:40 PM
Big congrats to all those who walked!

We didn't but we had a great time anyway! And besides surviving the storm, there were no DAL's this time!:biggrin:

Had a great time with everyone at the Smo-Sko's Mo-Ho Friday, and enjoyed meeting some new folks as well as seeing our usual freinds again!

Have a few pics... http://s300.photobucket.com/albums/nn21/2SkinnyCooks/Shannon08/

Hopefully that works! BTW, Great photos Todd! (and very nice to meet you Friday evening before the flood)
It was an honor to compete with so many big names and great teams!

Now we just have to decide which comp to enter next!

Sledneck
07-15-2008, 02:23 PM
Wow, what a weekend!!! Big congrat's to Joey Mac's Smoke Stax on the GC and Ron L and Amiee on 4th overall and two walks!!:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clapWas great to meet Todd and thanks so much for the Apple Dump cake...tastes better than the one I make from your recipe...so you must have left somthing out???:twisted::biggrin: Congat's on your 11th fiish overall in that field (literally and figurativley)and Rod on his first place Brisket and 3rd Overall!!

Had a great time at dinner Friday night with Ron, Amiee,Kathy,Dan and Di, and even Todd stopped by for a late bite.......ended up taking the left over Shrimp and Sausage Etouffe and making a fatty with it. We thought it was great...the judges...not so much.:redface: We were pretty happy to take a walk with 6th place in pork and even happy with our 13th place chicken(Sled's curse:roll:)That's two 13th place chickens in the last three contest's...that's what we get for busting his chops all the time..:tongue:

Congrat's to everyone else that took a walk....it truly is a Field of Dreams...and apparantly some nasty storms somtimes too.:wink:A few more and you might be worthy of "the shirt"

Jorge
07-15-2008, 02:34 PM
A few more and you might be worthy of "the shirt"

Dude! You never told me that you cooked with Carrot Top!

tonto1117
07-15-2008, 02:46 PM
A few more and you might be worthy of "the shirt"

LOL....If it's all the same to you, I'd like to drop the "3"....:-P:tongue:

Dude! You never told me that you cooked with Carrot Top!

:lol::lol::lol: