PDA

View Full Version : Contest Results Blues, Views & BBQ - 9/21 Westport, CT (KCBS) Qualifier

Sledneck
06-26-2008, 11:32 AM
Contest Info and Application available now
http://www.bluesviewsbbq.com/competition.html

From pigtrip.net:

Connecticut BBQ: Blues, Views and BBQ Festival Brewing in Westport CT

The town approvals have just been wrapped up for an exciting first year event called Blues, Views & BBQ (http://www.bluesviewsbbq.com/), to be held September 20-21 on the banks of the Saugatuck River in Westport CT. The Westport Downtown Merchants Association, led by Bob LeRose of Westport's Bobby Q's barbecue restaurant, is putting on a two-day event that promises something for everyone and is an absolute must for the barbecue fan, judge or competitor.

http://pigtrip.net/WestportBlues-sm.jpg (http://www.bluesviewsbbq.com/)

Competitions include a backyard contest (chicken, ribs, chef's choice) Saturday afternoon, an Iron Chef contest Saturday night and the traditional KCBS barbecue contest Sunday afternoon, along with a sauce contest. The total prize money for these contests is $10,000.

There will be beer sampling from a host of microbreweries, sauces and other specialty food vendors, family activities, street performers and live music both days. Barbecue will be available from Pennsylvania's Smoken' Dudes, Westport's own Bobby Q's (who'll be cooking with some surprise guests from Kansas City) and additional vendors. Westport restaurants will also be offering grilled fare. If you're just getting into barbecue, the cooking demos and barbecue education will be right up your alley.

For more information as the details come into focus, check the event website: www.bluesviewsbbq.com (http://www.bluesviewsbbq.com/).

Big Dog Barbecue
07-30-2008, 09:51 AM
Big Dogs are gonna' be there!

Sledneck
07-30-2008, 09:53 AM
Big Dogs are gonna' be there!
I will bring my fishsticks then:tongue:

The Giggler
07-30-2008, 10:27 AM
What's the weather like in CT that time of year? Assuming the leaves will be in color.

Sledneck
07-30-2008, 10:31 AM
What's the weather like in CT that time of year? Assuming the leaves will be in color.
Typically warm during the day but cold at night

Q Haven
07-30-2008, 10:32 AM
Q Haven is cooking this one....

Sledneck
07-30-2008, 10:35 AM
It was either this or go to the royal. Since its only 61 miles from house it was a no brainer

Transformer BBQ
07-30-2008, 10:44 AM
It was either this or go to the royal. Since its only 61 miles from house it was a no brainer

Or... do both like me.

Sledneck
07-30-2008, 10:46 AM
Or... do both like me.More than meats the pocket

MAsQue
07-30-2008, 10:53 AM
Just sent the check in today.

The Giggler
07-30-2008, 03:11 PM
Or... do both like me.

???? How you pulling that off?

It was great meeting you at Harpoon. Best of luck on wedding day and beyond. Enjoy the honeymoon in the sun!

Thanks again for the loan on the battery pack.

Q Haven
07-30-2008, 03:36 PM

Not the same weekend....

HolySmoke
07-30-2008, 03:42 PM
days before my birthday, maybe some luck there - just might have to go!!

Transformer BBQ
07-30-2008, 06:26 PM

It was great meeting you at Harpoon. Best of luck on wedding day and beyond. Enjoy the honeymoon in the sun!

Thanks again for the loan on the battery pack.

No problem on the battery pack, glad it got that car started. I bought it to be able to run my stoker during power outages... I've never used it to jump my car, but use it at LEAST once a contast to jump someone else... knock on wood.

The Royal is the first week in OCT... (The Jack and Sayville are a conflict I'm not good/lucky enough to have.)

CTSmokehouse
07-31-2008, 12:01 AM
Sent in the form and payment a few weeks ago... Don is flying back from Colorado to help cook our annual BBQ Contest ....

This is my home ground!!!

Primal Meat Smokers will have a great time and will do our best! Really looking forward to this event!

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

The Giggler
07-31-2008, 10:43 AM
No problem on the battery pack, glad it got that car started. I bought it to be able to run my stoker during power outages... I've never used it to jump my car, but use it at LEAST once a contast to jump someone else... knock on wood.

The Royal is the first week in OCT... (The Jack and Sayville are a conflict I'm not good/lucky enough to have.)

That pack was pretty cool. Where did you get it?

Yeah, I wish we had that schedule conflict as well. :lol:

I believe we are going to CT and possibly Sayville in some form or another. Gotta be honest though, I-95 scares the hell out of me with a trailer in tow. Sayville, you have to go through the City to get to the Island. That can't be fun either.

You know, out here in the sticks, we envy you guys and all the choices you have for contests in relatively close proximity. What we don't envy are the thoroughfares....

On the way back from Harpoon, we encountered an hour and a half delay just West of Albany. 40 foot RV burned to the ground on the side of I 90. Nothing left but the frame, rims, and engine.... Hope no one was hurt.

MAsQue
07-31-2008, 11:01 AM
I believe we are going to CT and possibly Sayville in some form or another. Gotta be honest though, I-95 scares the hell out of me with a trailer in tow. Sayville, you have to go through the City to get to the Island. That can't be fun either.

Take the Thruway to the Newburgh exit (18, I think) then get on I-84 East toward Danbury. Connect with I-684 in Brewster and take that south to I-287 east. Stay on that until it connects to I-95 in Rye, then take 95 south to the Throgs Neck Bridge. After the bridge, take the Clearview Expy. to the LIE (I-495) east. Follow that to exit 59. Head south on Ocean Ave. and when you run out of road, you're in Sayville about a block from the park. That takes you around the city, and you're on I-95 for only 12 miles or so.

Q Haven
07-31-2008, 02:33 PM
Or, you could take I-84 to Danbury and take Route-7 right down into Norwalk, one town over from Westport....

Big Dog Barbecue
08-07-2008, 05:04 PM
If you've signed up for this or are considering this event you should note that the grilling event is different than we usually see. The Saturday grilling event is for non-KCBS event participants. Essentially your participation in Sunday's event excludes you from the Saturday event. The intent is to let local 'amatuers' try their hand at competition grilling and be judged by the 'pro's', the KCBS participants. It's a pretty cool idea.

In addition to judging the locals, you'll also be able to compete in the Iron Chef competition later that day.

I spoke with Bob, the organizer today and the event will also include some impressive music and possibly some micro-brew beer vendors.

This is really looking like a good event.

Lakeside Smoker
08-08-2008, 02:00 PM
I sent my app in today. I have a feeling now that Lowell, MA is no longer a contest, Westport might fill up quick!

The Anchorman
08-08-2008, 04:54 PM
Who do I talk to about judging????

Westexbbq
08-08-2008, 08:34 PM
Ray,
The initial link has a judge link and a Bob LeRose I think to contact.
I'm looking into this one as well.

The Anchorman
08-09-2008, 09:10 AM
Ray,
The initial link has a judge link and a Bob LeRose I think to contact.
I'm looking into this one as well.

BigBarry
08-09-2008, 01:35 PM
We're going but not competing. It's our anniversary w/e and we are looking forward to being spectators!

See you all there!

WannaBeBBQueen
08-11-2008, 07:21 AM
Application going out today:biggrin:

Q Haven
08-11-2008, 07:47 AM
Mailing the app this week....just noticed the $25 late fee after 8/1 :-(

Muzzlebrake
08-11-2008, 07:38 PM
....just noticed the $25 late fee after 8/1 :-(
they don't announce a contest in September until the end of June and then charge a late fee if you don't have the app in by 8/1............thats annoying

nancee
08-11-2008, 08:11 PM
Don't be annoyed...just send in the app
the fee is designed to keep the usual NEBS slackers like me from holding off till the last minute

this is a first year contest; Bob needs to get an idea opf how much $ he has up front to work with.
call me if you have any questions or lets talk at New Paltz
nancee

they don't announce a contest in September until the end of June and then charge a late fee if you don't have the app in by 8/1............thats annoying

Sledneck
08-12-2008, 07:46 AM

Don't be annoyed...just send in the app
the fee is designed to keep the usual NEBS slackers like me from holding off till the last minute

this is a first year contest; Bob needs to get an idea opf how much $ he has up front to work with.
call me if you have any questions or lets talk at New Paltz
nanceeI can see charging the late fee for Sept 1st but not anytime before then.

rookiedad
08-19-2008, 09:13 AM
in connecticut next month. anyone going?

Sledneck
08-19-2008, 09:25 AM
I am on the fence

Westexbbq
08-19-2008, 09:30 AM
I think there is some interest by several folk.

Here is the main thread already floating around.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45041

I mailed my judges app in last week.

Sledneck
08-19-2008, 09:33 AM
I am on the fence . If they waive the late fee it could say me to one side

YankeeBBQ
08-19-2008, 09:35 AM
I am on the fence . If they waive the late fee it could say me to one side

I met the organizer over the weekend. I was in the middle of trimming some meat but I believe he said they would waive the late fee. Shoot him an email. I'm sending in my app today.

Q Haven
08-19-2008, 10:47 AM
They say the late fee is waived up to September 1. As of yesterday they had 15 teams, so this is already a qualifier. We mailed this one out yesterday, and I know of a few others in addition to Steve that are also going to sign up.

BigBarry
08-19-2008, 10:50 AM
I met Bob at my site this w/e. Real nice guy. I told him I could not compete this year as it was my anniversary but that we were coming up to attend as spectators.

He gave me his business card with his cell and told me to call him over the weekend to check out his restaurant!

WannaBeBBQueen
08-19-2008, 12:08 PM
we're going and I know a bunch of other brethren teams are going, come on join the fun :biggrin:

Sledneck
08-20-2008, 12:30 AM
They say the late fee is waived up to September 1. As of yesterday they had 15 teams, so this is already a qualifier. We mailed this one out yesterday, and I know of a few others in addition to Steve that are also going to sign up.The email response that I received stated that to waive the late fee my check and application would have to be in by this Friday:rolleyes:

Q Haven
08-20-2008, 02:23 AM
Maybe I misunderstood but I thought he said 9/1....

Lakeside Smoker
08-20-2008, 02:44 PM
The email response that I received stated that to waive the late fee my check and application would have to be in by this Friday:rolleyes:

...so, did you send it in?

Sledneck
08-20-2008, 03:01 PM
Nope....

Lakeside Smoker
08-20-2008, 03:13 PM
You should. It's a State Championship, great prize money, great location, and it's only an hour from your house.

pigmaker23
08-20-2008, 04:46 PM
and besides, somebody has be 13th, I spoke with Bob on Sunday and he said just write a note on the application that you saw him at Ribfest and the late fee will be waived until 9/1... come on Sled its a no brainer, its so close to your house.. or are you like Marty Mcfly ? "CHICKEN?" LOL :-D:-D:-D Back to the future mod !

Westexbbq
08-20-2008, 06:58 PM
Wow,
The McFly "Chicken" throwdown gauntlet!
Meanwhile, I'm stocking up on Geritol.

SmokeInDaEye
08-30-2008, 09:30 PM
Assuming I can get past the late fee, I will be in.

WannaBeBBQueen
08-31-2008, 08:25 AM
So your in :biggrin:...the late fee isn't a problem!!

So who else will be joining us? Sounds like good money and good times :biggrin:

Sledneck
08-31-2008, 08:26 AM
I am going to Dover instaed

lunchlady
08-31-2008, 08:53 AM
we just can't do it... you guys go on, have fun without me... Harvard and The Oink are surrounding Westport. That's too bad, I was trying to finagle it, but couldn't.

That would be an automatic for the Jack next year though, unless CT comes up with another one before next Aug 31st.

SmokeInDaEye
09-01-2008, 12:55 AM
So your in :biggrin:...the late fee isn't a problem!!

So who else will be joining us? Sounds like good money and good times :biggrin:

Yes, thanks to you I will be adding another contest to the schedule and will see ya'll in CT! Just finished packing the trailer and have been practicing the Iron Chef category all day.

White Dog BBQ
09-01-2008, 09:33 PM
White Dog BBQ will be there -- looking forward to going a little north!

bbqdavarrow
09-03-2008, 08:42 AM
the music line up is posted on the bluesviewsbbq.com website, looks pretty good!

The Anchorman
09-03-2008, 12:01 PM
Signing up to judge!

Thus begins my life as a professional judge.

ihbobry
09-03-2008, 02:49 PM
Signing up to judge!

Thus begins my life as a professional judge.

So did Gary & myself. Should be fun!

Q Haven
09-03-2008, 03:04 PM
Glad there will be a Connecticut qualifier this year. Now we just need to work on Rhode Island and Maine....

SmokeInDaEye
09-06-2008, 07:39 PM
Anyone seen rules for the Iron Chef and sauce categories?

Nitrofly
09-06-2008, 09:41 PM
Glad there will be a Connecticut qualifier this year. Now we just need to work on Rhode Island and Maine....

I hear something for Maine is in the works.. :rolleyes:

barbefunkoramaque
09-06-2008, 10:35 PM

JESUS Guys its just $25 extra bucks.:icon_devil Its a BBQ competition so if your planning to win y'all are going to spend at least $400 on meat, then there's gas, hotel, cept for Q Haven... ted seems to have that covered Now, whats an extra $25. Go out and make Connecticut and the rest of New England Proud!

Ted... did you get a tranny cooler for the Explorer Like it told you to? :razz:

I'd go but Governor Rowland expressly forbid this Texas boy from coming within 500 yards of a BBQ competition when I got to this state in 1997. :icon_pissed

Sledneck
09-06-2008, 10:38 PM
JESUS Guys its just $25 extra bucks.:icon_devil Its a BBQ competition so if your planning to win y'all are going to spend at least $400 on meat, then there's gas, hotel, cept for Q Haven... ted seems to have that covered Now, whats an extra $25. Go out and make Connecticut and the rest of New England Proud!

I'd go but Governor Rowland expressly forbid this Texas boy from coming within 500 yards of a BBQ competition when I got to this state in 1997. :icon_pissed
So you are schooling us about just a little bit more cash in addition to all of what we already are going to spend but not dig in to your own pocket and compete? Hmmmmm:rolleyes:

SmokeInDaEye
09-06-2008, 10:43 PM

You're welcome to come cook with us. Sent in my check on Wednesday.

pigmaker23
09-07-2008, 04:43 PM
Smoke on the water will be there

Sledneck
09-07-2008, 04:49 PM
Sledcast

Saturday, Sep 20
http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/common/images/wxicons/blue_frcst_bg/02.gif
High: 69 °F RealFeel®: 66 °F
Mostly sunny

Saturday Night, Sep 20
http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/common/images/wxicons/blue_night_bg/34.gif
Low: 51 °F RealFeel®: 43 °F
Mainly clear

Sunday, Sep 21
http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/common/images/wxicons/blue_frcst_bg/02.gif
High: 69 °F RealFeel®: 64 °F
Mostly sunny

Sunday Night, Sep 21
http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/common/images/wxicons/blue_night_bg/35.gif
Low: 51 °F RealFeel®: 43 °F
Partly cloudy

WannaBeBBQueen
09-09-2008, 09:17 AM
In case someone didn't get this:

Competitors:

Our event is right around the corner and I just wanted to send a quick email to welcome all of you and thank you for supporting our inaugural event on September 20 & 21. As of today, we have 30 teams competing for the CT State Championship!

The festival is shaping up nicely...check out www.bluesviewsbbq.com for all the details.

Lots of you are asking about the Iron Chef and BBQ Sauce contests.

For the Iron Chef, you will receive a protein, a starch, a vegetable and perhaps one more 'secret' ingredient to incorporate into your dishes. Taste, presentation, etc will be up to your own creativeness. Pretty much anything goes here...this should be a fun part of our contest.

For the sauce, it must be made on sight. Any style you want to present will be ok-mild, spicy, etc. We most likely will provide a 'must-use' ingredient for this one as well to keep things interesting.

Finally, for those of you not able to make it by 10:00 AM Saturday Morning, you will be allowed to check-in after the public leaves at 6:00 PM and before 11:00 PM Saturday.

If any of you have any questions, feel free to email or call me on my cell-917-446-2921.

Look forward to seeing you soon and say a prayer for nice weather.

PS-If you know any amateur "backyarders", please help spread the word for their contest on Saturday. Great place for people or teams to "dip their toes" into competitive cooking.

Best Regards,

That being said I asked about the sauce turn in and here's the reply I got: Plastic ramekins that we will supply...no garnish

Hope that helps:biggrin:

CTSmokehouse
09-09-2008, 08:46 PM
30 Teams so far... CT State Championship...

Looks like a great venue!

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

SmokeInDaEye
09-09-2008, 08:51 PM
Should be fun. See you all there.

barbefunkoramaque
09-10-2008, 06:45 PM
So you are schooling us about just a little bit more cash in addition to all of what we already are going to spend but not dig in to your own pocket and compete? Hmmmmm:rolleyes:

Dude, seriously... send me an IM. If your local I WILL contribute something. Seriously! Connecticut needs to start beatin down that door!

I was done "competing" by 1995.

You're welcome to come cook with us. Sent in my check on Wednesday.

I told you I cannot come. I was banned for life after the "incident."

Big Dog Barbecue
09-14-2008, 08:38 AM
10 Day forecast looks like great weather for this event!

Anyone else planning on arriving Friday night? I think I might be lonely.

WannaBeBBQueen
09-14-2008, 01:18 PM
Sorry Swamp Pit won't be there until Saturday morning...

rbsnwngs
09-15-2008, 06:42 AM
there a good chance I like Smoke-N-Lightning will be there friday night

Q Haven
09-15-2008, 07:30 AM
I am planning to arrive Friday night....

Sledneck
09-15-2008, 09:00 AM
Saturday, Sep 20
High: 71 °F RealFeel®: 69 °F
Mostly sunny and pleasant

Saturday Night, Sep 20
http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/common/images/wxicons/blue_night_bg/33.gif
Low: 53 °F RealFeel®: 52 °F
Clear

Sunday, Sep 21
http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/common/images/wxicons/blue_frcst_bg/03.gif
High: 75 °F RealFeel®: 72 °F
Partly sunny

Sunday Night, Sep 21
http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/common/images/wxicons/blue_night_bg/34.gif
Low: 58 °F RealFeel®: 55 °F
Mainly clear

CTSmokehouse
09-15-2008, 12:07 PM
Primal Meat Smokers is expecting to arrive very early Saturday AM. We are really excited! Our last competion together was Lime Rock, CT 2007. We cook one a year together. It should be alot of fun......

C Ya all there!!

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

YankeeBBQ
09-17-2008, 07:27 AM
Primal Meat Smokers is expecting to arrive very early Saturday AM. We are really excited! Our last competion together was Lime Rock, CT 2007. We cook one a year together. It should be alot of fun......

C Ya all there!!

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

Armed with new equipment and recipes ??

The Anchorman
09-17-2008, 09:24 AM
I'll be there for the Judges meeting:-D

CTSmokehouse
09-17-2008, 09:39 PM
armed with new equipment and recipes ??

;) !

The Anchorman
09-18-2008, 09:27 AM
;) !

Now lets eee if that brisket is familiar????

Cue's Your Daddy
09-18-2008, 11:34 AM
anyone know of any hotels in the area that do not require 2 night minimium like the westport inn.

WannaBeBBQueen
09-18-2008, 11:53 AM
anyone know of any hotels in the area that do not require 2 night minimium like the westport inn.

The closest I could find was Courtyard Marriott for 129.00...

Sledneck
09-18-2008, 12:37 PM
SLEDCAST

Saturday, Sep 20
High: 70 °F RealFeelŪ: 71 °F

Saturday Night, Sep 20
http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/common/images/wxicons/blue_night_bg/35.gif
Low: 51 °F RealFeelŪ: 50 °F
Partly cloudy

Sunday, Sep 21
High: 75 °F RealFeelŪ: 72 °F
Sunny to partly cloudy and beautiful

Sunday Night, Sep 21
Low: 53 °F RealFeelŪ: 49 °F
Partly cloudy

SmokeInDaEye
09-18-2008, 02:51 PM
SLEDCAST

Saturday, Sep 20
High: 70 °F RealFeelŪ: 71 °F

Saturday Night, Sep 20
Low: 51 °F RealFeelŪ: 50 °F
Partly cloudy

Sunday, Sep 21
High: 75 °F RealFeelŪ: 72 °F
Sunny to partly cloudy and beautiful

Sunday Night, Sep 21
Low: 53 °F RealFeelŪ: 49 °F
Partly cloudy

Are you actually coming? I'll be there early Saturday and am bringing some cigars for those interested.

Sledneck
09-18-2008, 03:02 PM
Are you actually coming? I'll be there early Saturday and am bringing some cigars for those interested. I only attend competitions that are circuses

pigmaker23
09-18-2008, 03:05 PM
well this is a carnival, so you should fit right in

I only attend competitions that are circuses

Sledneck
09-18-2008, 03:08 PM
well this is a carnival, so you should fit right in
I do not attend carnivals with late fees

SmokeInDaEye
09-18-2008, 04:29 PM
I do not attend carnivals with late fees

Come out. Every circus needs a clown.

As for the contest, I don't seem to have the rules. Are all six categories KCBS garnish?

CTSmokehouse
09-19-2008, 12:00 AM

As for the contest, I don't seem to have the rules. Are all six categories KCBS garnish?

The website is very good...

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

PS . I have your special smoking wood....

Big Dog Barbecue
09-19-2008, 06:04 AM
Here's the list I just received from Bob, the organizer.

Transformer BBQ

Primal Meat Smokers

TNT Dynamite BBQ

Casual Smokers

The Purple Turtle Catering Company

NY Phat Daddy's
Cork N' Pork

Big Dog Barbecue

Hogicidal Maniacs

Red Planet BBQ

Lakeside Smokers

Yabba Dabba Que!

MissCathy

Swamp Pit BBQ

Big Mamma Boo's Barbecue

Uncle Jed's BBQ Team

Q Haven

The Bastey Boys

Wine and Swine

White Dog BBQ

ZBQ

I Smell Smoke

Carolina Beau and The Yankee In-Laws

Smoke on The Water
R2-BQ

B.S. BBQ

Davinci Says-"Does it Matter?"

Two Little Pigs

Smoke In Da Eye

Smoke N Dudes

I Like Smoke 'N Lightning

Yankee Barbeque

Central Pork West

Dirty Dick and The Legless Wonders

Big Boned BBQ

Transformer BBQ
09-19-2008, 09:01 AM

Iron chef is 'bring your own platter' so I would assume that mean open garnish on that as well.

Sauce is going to be in a provided container according to one of the emails...

SmokeInDaEye
09-19-2008, 11:45 AM
Iron chef is 'bring your own platter' so I would assume that mean open garnish on that as well.

Sauce is going to be in a provided container according to one of the emails...

Cool. I think we're going to head out early tomorrow so see you and the new rig in the am. Looks like a great line-up of teams.

Transformer BBQ
09-19-2008, 01:59 PM
Cool. I think we're going to head out early tomorrow so see you and the new rig in the am. Looks like a great line-up of teams.

Sorry... went back on the sauce thing... in the emails I saved I can't find the container comment....

Westexbbq
09-19-2008, 02:40 PM
Sorry... went back on the sauce thing... in the emails I saved I can't find the container comment....

See Julie's post 62,
Best Regards,

That being said I asked about the sauce turn in and here's the reply I got: Plastic ramekins that we will supply...no garnish

Hope that helps:biggrin:

BigBarry
09-19-2008, 04:20 PM
MrsBB and I are heading to the MetroNorth Railroad shortly. Taking the train up there and staying the weekend for our anniversary! 16 years!

We'll see all of you on Saturday morning!

BTW - going to Conte's Seafood restaurant tonight for that special dinner.

motoeric
09-19-2008, 10:43 PM
Will there be any damn dip at this event?

Eric

Nitrofly
09-20-2008, 07:04 AM
Sorry no Dam Dip.. :frown:
I'm coming down to Judge :biggrin:

MilitantSquatter
09-21-2008, 04:55 PM
Don't have all the results but Sled just called me with great news !!!

GC : R2BQ (Sledneck)
RGC : TNT Dynamite BBQ
3rd I Smell smoke
4th Swamp Pit

Woo Hoo !!!!! I wish I was there.........Way to Go Sled !!!!!!!!!

Jorge
09-21-2008, 05:05 PM
Congrats Sled!!

BBQchef33
09-21-2008, 05:18 PM
Slednecks going to the AR and 2009 Jack!! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap
(unless CT comes up with another contest :twisted::mrgreen:)

Yakfishingfool
09-21-2008, 05:22 PM
WOW!!!! Congrats Sled!!!!!

The Anchorman
09-21-2008, 05:43 PM
RU Serious??? R2BQ Congrats now thats a Sled Cast no one seen coming:!:

lunchlady
09-21-2008, 06:09 PM
Congrats Sled! Way to go!!!

Nice job to all the winners!!

motoeric
09-21-2008, 06:22 PM
Congratulations to Sled and everyone that placed.

Does anyone have the results for sauce and Iron Chef?

Eric

Jacked UP BBQ
09-21-2008, 06:44 PM
Nice job sled

carlharper
09-21-2008, 07:15 PM
Great news, Sled! You beat a good slate of competitors. Congratulations.

BBQchef33
09-21-2008, 08:19 PM
Sled took first in Sauce and I think WillyB took first or second in Iron Chef.

SmokeInDaEye
09-21-2008, 08:51 PM
That was a freaking awesome contest and I was so happy to see Sled win! My neighbors were super nice, the organizers were great and the weather was amazing! Congrats Steve, Julie and all else who got calls. I can't speak now from screaming!

Top 10
1. R2BQ
2. TNT
3. I smell smoke
4. Swamp Pit
5. Smoke in da eye
6. Lakeside Smokers
7. Uncle Jed
8. Central Pork West
9. Q Haven
10. ZBQ

Chicken
1. Red Planet
2. Swamp Pit
3. R2BQ
4. Smoke In Da Eye
5. I smell Smoke

Ribs
1. I Like Some N Lightning
2. Yankee BBQ
3. 2 Little Pigs
4. ZBQ
5. I Smell Smoke

Pork
1. TNT
2. R2BQ
3. Q Haven
4. Smoke N Dudes
5. Central Pork West

Brisket
1. ZBQ
2. Smoke In Da Eye
3. Cork N Pork
4. I Smell Smoke
5. Lakeside Smokers

Sauce
1. R2BQ
2. Purple Turple
3. I Smell Smoke
4. Primal Meat Smokers
5. Carolina beau and yankee

Iron Chef
1. Yabba Dabba Que
2. I like smoke and Willie
3. B.S. BBQ
4. Carolina beau
5. Smoke N Dudes

Westexbbq
09-21-2008, 08:55 PM
WOW!
Nice going to all,
Congratulations.

SmokeInDaEye
09-21-2008, 09:20 PM
Slednecks going to the AR and 2009 Jack!! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap
(unless CT comes up with another contest :twisted::mrgreen:)

Does that mean Vinny gets to keep his avatar for another year?

Sledneck
09-22-2008, 03:46 AM
Thanks all, I am still a bit stunned more later. Here are the results:

Blues, Views and Barbeque

Westport, CT
Starts: 09/20/2008
Ends: 09/21/2008
Website: http://www.bluesviewsbbq.com (http://www.bluesviewsbbq.com/)
KCBS Reps: DON LOVELY, JOHN BRADEN

Contact Information:
Bob LeRose
42 Main Street
Westport, CT 06880
Phone: 917-446-2921
Fax: 203-454-7806
rlerose@msn.com

Grand Champion: R2-BQ
Reserve Champion: TNT Dynamite BBQ

Overall:
1 R2-BQ
2 TNT Dynamite BBQ
3 I Smell Smoke
4 Swamp Pit BBQ
5 Smoke in Da Eye
6 Lakeside Smokers
7 Uncle Jed's BBQ Team
8 Central Pork West
9 Q Haven
10 ZBQ
11 Transformer BBQ
12 Yankee Barbeque
13 Primal Meat Smokers
14 Red Planet BBQ
15 The Bastey Boys
16 Smoke on the Water
17 Big Boned BBQ
18 Dirty Dick&Legless Wonde
19 Carolina Beau&Yankee InL
20 Smoke N' Dudes
21 Cork N' Pork
22 Big Dog Barbecue
23 Two Little Pigs
24 I Like Smoke 'N Lightnin
25 White Dog BBQ
26 Yabba Dabba Que !
27 Purple Turtle Catering C
28 Miss Cathy
29 Hogicidal Maniacs
30 Wine and Swine
31 NY Phat Daddy's
32 Casual Smokers
33 B.S. BBQ
34 Big Mamma Boo's Barbecue
35 Does It Matter ?

Chicken:
1 Red Planet BBQ
2 Swamp Pit BBQ
3 R2-BQ
4 Smoke in Da Eye
5 I Smell Smoke
6 Big Boned BBQ
7 The Bastey Boys
8 Dirty Dick&Legless Wonde
9 White Dog BBQ
10 Uncle Jed's BBQ Team
11 Central Pork West
12 Big Dog Barbecue
13 Yankee Barbeque
14 Wine and Swine
15 TNT Dynamite BBQ
16 Transformer BBQ
17 Lakeside Smokers
18 ZBQ
19 Casual Smokers
20 Carolina Beau&Yankee InL
21 Smoke N' Dudes
22 Smoke on the Water
23 Purple Turtle Catering C
24 Primal Meat Smokers
25 Q Haven
26 Miss Cathy
27 Hogicidal Maniacs
28 Cork N' Pork
29 Two Little Pigs
30 Yabba Dabba Que !
31 NY Phat Daddy's
32 B.S. BBQ
33 I Like Smoke 'N Lightnin
34 Big Mamma Boo's Barbecue

Ribs:
1 I Like Smoke 'N Lightnin
2 Yankee Barbeque
3 Two Little Pigs
4 ZBQ
5 I Smell Smoke
6 Primal Meat Smokers
7 Miss Cathy
8 Central Pork West
9 Transformer BBQ
10 R2-BQ
11 Purple Turtle Catering C
12 Big Dog Barbecue
13 NY Phat Daddy's
14 TNT Dynamite BBQ
15 Smoke in Da Eye
16 Lakeside Smokers
17 The Bastey Boys
18 Smoke on the Water
19 Red Planet BBQ
20 Q Haven
21 Uncle Jed's BBQ Team
22 Cork N' Pork
23 Big Boned BBQ
24 B.S. BBQ
25 Hogicidal Maniacs
26 Carolina Beau&Yankee InL
27 Dirty Dick&Legless Wonde
28 Swamp Pit BBQ
29 Yabba Dabba Que !
30 Casual Smokers
31 Smoke N' Dudes
32 White Dog BBQ
33 Big Mamma Boo's Barbecue
34 Wine and Swine

Pork:
1 TNT Dynamite BBQ
2 R2-BQ
3 Q Haven
4 Smoke N' Dudes
5 Central Pork West
6 The Bastey Boys
7 Swamp Pit BBQ
8 Transformer BBQ
9 Two Little Pigs
10 Uncle Jed's BBQ Team
11 Lakeside Smokers
12 Big Boned BBQ
13 Carolina Beau&Yankee InL
14 I Like Smoke 'N Lightnin
15 Wine and Swine
16 Red Planet BBQ
17 Purple Turtle Catering C
18 B.S. BBQ
19 Primal Meat Smokers
20 Smoke on the Water
21 Dirty Dick&Legless Wonde
22 I Smell Smoke
23 Smoke in Da Eye
24 White Dog BBQ
25 Big Dog Barbecue
26 Yabba Dabba Que !
27 NY Phat Daddy's
28 Casual Smokers
29 Big Mamma Boo's Barbecue
30 Hogicidal Maniacs
31 Yankee Barbeque
32 Cork N' Pork
33 Does It Matter ?
34 Miss Cathy
35 ZBQ

Brisket:
1 ZBQ
2 Smoke in Da Eye
3 Cork N' Pork
4 I Smell Smoke
5 Lakeside Smokers
6 Uncle Jed's BBQ Team
7 TNT Dynamite BBQ
8 Yabba Dabba Que !
9 R2-BQ
10 Swamp Pit BBQ
11 Smoke on the Water
12 Q Haven
13 Dirty Dick&Legless Wonde
14 White Dog BBQ
15 Carolina Beau&Yankee InL
16 Primal Meat Smokers
17 Yankee Barbeque
18 Hogicidal Maniacs
19 Smoke N' Dudes
20 Central Pork West
21 Transformer BBQ
22 Big Boned BBQ
23 Miss Cathy
24 Big Dog Barbecue
25 Wine and Swine
26 The Bastey Boys
27 I Like Smoke 'N Lightnin
28 Red Planet BBQ
29 NY Phat Daddy's
30 Purple Turtle Catering C
31 Does It Matter ?
32 Two Little Pigs
33 Casual Smokers
34 B.S. BBQ
35 Big Mamma Boo's Barbecue

MilitantSquatter
09-22-2008, 04:51 AM
R2BQ - NEBS Team of the Year in 2009.... Imagine that !!! :biggrin:

Congrats to all the other Brethen with solid placings!!

SIDE - Yes.. the avatar stays... but it will be seasonal (Sept/Oct) only.

ihbobry
09-22-2008, 06:10 AM
Sled, Is it the GC or the 3rd place Chicken your most proud of? :-D

Congrats!

Q Haven
09-22-2008, 06:28 AM
That was a great first year contest. Watching Sled get called for 3rd place chicken, then win GC, and Willie B taking first place ribs were special moments. The weather couldn't have been nicer, a little chilly at night but several had the fireplaces going. The public in Westport really came out and supported the event. Was great to see a lot of great friends again, with so many Brethren. Going to this one next year is a no brainer!

YankeeBBQ
09-22-2008, 06:32 AM
Congrats again Sled way to go ! Congrats to all that got a call. Like Ted said it was a great event. Good Water Good electric and the organizers and volunteers did an excellent job. We will mark this on our calendar for next year.

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
09-22-2008, 07:13 AM
great job Sled and Clint! Looked like a great comp with alot of big names!

watg?
09-22-2008, 07:15 AM
Congrats to all that were called.
Way to go Sled!!!
I knew those chicken trimming tips would come in handy!!:wink:
Good job.
Now, if you wouldnt mind passing along some chicken cooking tips!:lol:

U2CANQUE
09-22-2008, 07:40 AM
Congrats to all the Brethren who walked, talked, and strolled.....looked like a great field....

goodsmokebbq
09-22-2008, 07:45 AM
congrats!

White Dog BBQ
09-22-2008, 07:58 AM
Great event -- we had a real good time. Sled, it was great cooking next to you, and congratulations on an awesome showing. I should have videotaped your prep work. :-)

This event greatly exceeded the organizer's expectations -- he planned on about 3,000 people total over two days; he got 7,000 people on the first day alone! All the vendors ran out of food. This one should be definitely happening again.

One note -- Tom C. told me that they are pretty much at capacity for the competition, so they will likely be doing a New Holland-like system for next (returning teams get first dibs; waiting list for others).

Dale P
09-22-2008, 08:18 AM
Congrats Sledneck! Awesome job.

ique
09-22-2008, 08:51 AM
Congrats Sled!

The Anchorman
09-22-2008, 09:30 AM
Looking for information on the ZBQ team, is that the Rhode Island team with Paul as one of the cooks?
If so... Go Rhody:!: Paul helped me this summer with my church's BBQ Dinner.
WTG Paul and ZBQ. 1st Brisket and 4th Ribs

Transformer BBQ
09-22-2008, 09:39 AM
Congratulations Steve, great job.

Congrats to everyone else who walked.

Bernie, your going down....

Transformer BBQ
09-22-2008, 09:40 AM
RU Serious??? R2BQ Congrats now thats a Sled Cast no one seen coming:!:

This is one of the most backhanded congratulations I have ever seen posted on this site...

Sledneck
09-22-2008, 09:45 AM
Sled, Is it the GC or the 3rd place Chicken your most proud of? :-D

Congrats!
As bizarre as it might sound the chicken. The GC is a VERY close second though:biggrin:That damn bird has driven me crazy for over 3 years now. I dreaded it every time I cooked an put way to much effort in to it. Loved the fact that as I was on stage and since it was for 3rd place somebody was yelling from the crowd to put a "1" in front of that 3.With regard to the contest the organizers did a fantastic job. Huge buffet for breakfast Sunday morning really hit the spot. Its the little things that make a contest great and they hit the mark on all of them. Willie on stage receving his iron chef award and gettng on the microphone was a riot. He was sober of course:rolleyes: Congrats to all of the other Brethren that walked.

The Anchorman
09-22-2008, 09:47 AM
This is one of the most backhanded congratulations I have ever seen posted on this site...

Not meant to be that way at all, the RU is a take off of R2BQ,
and it is a play on the Sled Cast thats all. Just wish I was there to see it.
Way to go Sled:!:

Sledneck
09-22-2008, 09:50 AM
Not meant to be that way at all, the RU is a take off of R2BQ,
and it is a play on the Sled Cast thats all.
Way to go Sled:!: If somebody hit me with a sledgehammer right now I don't think it would hurt:biggrin: I give it so I definitely can take it when it comes to busting chops:tongue:

tonto1117
09-22-2008, 09:55 AM
WooooHoooo!!! Congrat's Sled!!! Third place chicken ehe??? Told ya all you had to do was drop the 1 or 3 :wink:

Big congrat's to everyone who placed and took a walk!!! Way to go!8)

bbqdavarrow
09-22-2008, 10:06 AM
great event! Bob Lerose did a great job putting this together!
Was a great time having Willie B as neighbors! I haven't laughed that hard in a long time! Its 6am Sunday morning and I started to rub my ribs down and I begin to hear this preaching - he had pulled out his little green prayer book and started preaching the "Word of Barbeque" Funny Stuff! and the clams were out of this world!
and Hey Mike (Lee) turn down that music!!

Westexbbq
09-22-2008, 10:07 AM
Hopefully, with all this star-studded array of East Coast BBQ Brethren luminaries, that many, several and multiple photos were taken for posterity sake??

Anybody got pics?

YankeeBBQ
09-22-2008, 10:59 AM
Hopefully, with all this star-studded array of East Coast BBQ Brethren luminaries, that many, several and multiple photos were taken for posterity sake??

Anybody got pics?

There are some at this link http://barbecuecentral.blogspot.com/

bbqdavarrow
09-22-2008, 10:59 AM
so never having gotten a call for 1st place for anything yet...
were standing at the award ceremony and I say to Dave (my team mate) you know were going to win something. Why, because my wife got a bad tooth ache and had to leave with my daughter and Dave's wife and 2 kids, and sure enough we get "1 place in Chicken"
What a feeling!
Congrats to "Sled" I had a lot of friends down that have never been to a competition before and can't believe the work that goes into competing! So to win is a great accomplishment!
Dave
RED PLANET BBQ

barfly
09-22-2008, 11:12 AM
As bizarre as it might sound the chicken. The GC is a VERY close second though:biggrin:That damn bird has driven me crazy for over 3 years now. I dreaded it every time I cooked an put way to much effort in to it. Loved the fact that as I was on stage and since it was for 3rd place somebody was yelling from the crowd to put a "1" in front of that 3.With regard to the contest the organizers did a fantastic job. Huge buffet for breakfast Sunday morning really hit the spot. Its the little things that make a contest great and they hit the mark on all of them. Willie on stage receving his iron chef award and gettng on the microphone was a riot. He was sober of course:rolleyes: Congrats to all of the other Brethren that walked.

WTG Sled! congrats to all who walked as well..

Transformer BBQ
09-22-2008, 11:12 AM
http://lh6.ggpht.com/TransfomerBBQ/SNfBM5SfxKI/AAAAAAAAAQo/iOnfZmYEa2w/s400/Bernie1.jpg
http://lh6.ggpht.com/TransfomerBBQ/SNfBNFVacMI/AAAAAAAAAQw/bR_0Lpf-exQ/s400/Bernie2.jpg

Lakeside Smoker
09-22-2008, 11:15 AM
Congrats Sled!!

Like everyone said, great contest! Cant wait for next year. I just got home this morning; I think next year we should all stay Sunday night at the Westport Inn!!! They have an indoor pool with rooms all the way around it. That sure was nice at 7:30 last night!

I'll have pics up in a few hours.

Mike

Lakeside Smoker
09-22-2008, 11:27 AM

This one can't wait. :-D
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n40/lakesidesmoker/Picture001-15.jpg

ihbobry
09-22-2008, 11:29 AM
beating up an old man is more like it ...:-Phttp://lh6.ggpht.com/TransfomerBBQ/SNfBM5SfxKI/AAAAAAAAAQo/iOnfZmYEa2w/s400/Bernie1.jpg

SmokeInDaEye
09-22-2008, 11:29 AM
Iron Chef category was also a ton of fun. Got a mystery protein (pork tenderloin), starch (sweet potatoes), and veggie (zucchini). We made a pork stuffed tenderloin wrapped in bacon with a mock rissoto out of sweet potatoes and zucchini florets. Didn't fair great but the challenge was a thrill!

bbqdavarrow
09-22-2008, 11:37 AM
does anybody have the iron chef standings, I only know the top 5, did I miss them somewhere?

MrsBigBarry
09-22-2008, 11:42 AM
Congrats Sled!!

Like everyone said, great contest! Cant wait for next year. I just got home this morning; I think next year we should all stay Sunday night at the Westport Inn!!! They have an indoor pool with rooms all the way around it. That sure was nice at 7:30 last night!

Mike

We stayed at the Westport Inn on Friday and Saturday nights. We had taken the train up right from work on Friday. We didn't compete, but wanted to hangout with everyone and help when we could. Never did make it to the pool, but I liked the Inn. We toyed with staying over again Sunday night, but wound up driving Willie home.

MrsBigBarry
09-22-2008, 11:44 AM

Anybody got pics?

We have pics that we will get up before too long.

rookiedad
09-22-2008, 12:04 PM
Congratulations Sledneck!
In honor of your GC win, I comissioned this highway sign. Hope you like it! Way to go!

http://i484.photobucket.com/albums/rr201/rookiedad-TW/IMG_1526.jpg

Q Haven
09-22-2008, 12:08 PM
does anybody have the iron chef standings, I only know the top 5, did I miss them somewhere?

They came with your score sheets....

bbqdavarrow
09-22-2008, 12:16 PM
not in mine??

Q Haven
09-22-2008, 12:23 PM
Hmmm...we got them....

motoeric
09-22-2008, 12:46 PM
If there is anyone out there who judged on Sunday, can you pm me?

Thanks,

Eric

bbqdavarrow
09-22-2008, 12:50 PM
Ted could you tell me what place we (red planet bbq) came in?
they gave me a sauce score sheet, and I didn't enter that comp??

thanks dave

Big George's BBQ
09-22-2008, 01:12 PM
Congrats to all. Sled that is awesome. Way to go

Q Haven
09-22-2008, 01:37 PM

thanks dave

I'm at work and the sheets are at home, I'll post them later if someone doesn't beat me to it.

ihbobry
09-22-2008, 01:49 PM
I'm at work and the sheets are at home, I'll post them later if someone doesn't beat me to it.

Thanks Ted. Could you list the sauce also I'm curious.

Good to see all 3 of you.

Sledneck
09-22-2008, 02:28 PM
Instead of hardware i received glassware.

Westexbbq
09-22-2008, 02:37 PM
Sensational Sled,
nice going.

Lakeside Smoker
09-22-2008, 02:40 PM
Pics up, enjoy!!

Click me (http://picasaweb.google.com/lakesidesmoker)

goodsmokebbq
09-22-2008, 02:40 PM
congrats!

Q Haven
09-22-2008, 07:47 PM
More pics up....

http://picasaweb.google.com/tedlorson

The Giggler
09-22-2008, 09:26 PM
We just got in. Not much else to say. What a weekend.

Sled - before they called out the GC, we were watching the table where you and Smoke In Da Eye were seated at. The reaction was great. We were so excited for you. Sat night you and I talked about the schedule next year - so I guess you are adding at LEAST one event. Congratulations to you and your team.

Great seeing everyone. Looking forward to the next time.

Sledneck
09-23-2008, 06:22 AM
Sat night you and I talked about the schedule next year - so I guess you are adding at LEAST one event. Congratulations to you and your team.
.Every time I try to get out, they pull me back in!(godfather 3 mod)

rbsnwngs
09-23-2008, 06:39 AM
Every time I try to get out, they pull me back in!(godfather 3 mod)

I'll take your spots at the royal and jack

Big George's BBQ
09-23-2008, 07:52 AM
Thanks for the Pics. Looks like a graet time

Mutha Chicken BBQ
09-23-2008, 07:59 AM
Hey Sled, Congrats that's a great finniish and looked like a great contest.

Q Haven
09-23-2008, 10:22 AM

thanks dave

Iron Chef

1. Yabba Dabba Que
2. I Like Smoke 'N Lightning
3. BS BBQ
4. Carolina Beau
5. Smoke 'N Dudes
6. Lakeside Smokers
7. Does It Matter?
8. Big Dog BBQ
9. Smoke In Da Eye
10. Big Boned BBQ
11. Miss Kathy Smokers
12. Smoke On The Water
13. Yankee Barbecue Boys
14. The Bastey Boys
15. ZBQ
16. Red Planet BBQ
17. Q Haven :-(
18. Wine and Swine
19. Cork N Pork
20. Purple Turtle Catering Company
21. Two Little Pigs

And for Bernie....

Sauce

1. R2-BQ
2. Purple Turtle Catering Company
3. I Smell Smoke!!!
4. Primal Meat Smokers
5. Carolina Beau
6. Big Boned BBQ
7. Swamp Pit BBQ
8. The Bastey Boys
9. White Dog BBQ
10. Big Dog Barbecue
11. Miss Cathy
12. Lakeside Smokers
13. Cork 'N Pork
14. Smoke On The Water
15. I Like Smoke 'N Lightning
16. Smoke In Da Eye
17. BS BBQ
18. Big Mamma Boo's BBQ
19. Yankee Barbecue Boys
20. Wine and Swine
21. Two Little Pigs
22. ZBQ
23. Dirty Dick and the Legless Wonders
24. Q Haven
25. Smoke N Dudes
26. Does It Matter?
27. NY Phat Daddy's
28. Hogicidal Maniacs
29. Yabba Dabba Que
30. Uncle Jed's BBQ
31. Transformer BBQ
32. Red Planet BBQ

Transformer BBQ
09-23-2008, 10:49 AM
Sauce
30. Uncle Jed's BBQ
31. Transformer BBQ
32. Red Planet BBQ

haha... must have won the coin flip on this one... seeing I didn't turn in anything.

ihbobry
09-23-2008, 11:28 AM
And for Bernie....

Sauce

Thanks Bro.

bbqdavarrow
09-23-2008, 01:43 PM
thanks Ted for the Iron Chef Standings!

Sledneck
09-23-2008, 01:47 PM
If only I had written down what i put in that damn sauce

CTSmokehouse
09-23-2008, 01:58 PM
Congrats to GC Sled and all who walked and participated! The LI Brethren did great!

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

SmokeInDaEye
09-23-2008, 04:42 PM
Congrats to GC Sled and all who walked and participated! The LI Brethren did great!

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

Sorry I never made it back over to pick up my special smoking wood. I completely forgot. I'll see you again in Sayville, no?

CTSmokehouse
09-23-2008, 04:55 PM
Sorry I never made it back over to pick up my special smoking wood. I completely forgot. I'll see you again in Sayville, no?

Yes!

CYa in Sayville!

Congrats on 2nd in Brisket, 4th in Chicken and 5th overall!

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

TeamZBQ
09-24-2008, 11:47 AM
Hey Ray,

We were stoked when we got called up for fourth place ribs.

We started listening to the brisket calls, and when it got to third, we thought we were done.

Totally floored by the first place finish in brisket.

It makes the ride home a lot shorter!

Paul

BigBarry
10-03-2008, 05:36 PM
Some pics:

http://picasaweb.google.com/teambigbarryq/Westport2008#

BBQ_MAFIA
10-03-2008, 07:10 PM
Congrats Sled and to all of the rest of you.

YankeeBBQ
10-16-2008, 06:52 AM
Does anyone have a good pic of Sledneck and team on stage ? I need it for the National bbq news ASAP

Lakeside Smoker
10-16-2008, 08:01 AM
I just stole this picture from White Trash BBQ Blog. You might want to ask him if we can use it.
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n40/lakesidesmoker/CAJDPZEE.jpg