PDA

View Full Version : Cheating at a Contest

River City Smokehouse
06-26-2008, 08:28 AM
Have you ever cheated knowingly at a contest and got by with it?
You don't have to respond....just vote honestly. Your names won't appear or record for viewing.

Sawdustguy
06-26-2008, 08:41 AM
Why cheat? These contests are a measure of our ability to produce quality turn-ins versus the other teams. If one were to cheat it isn't a true measurement of your ability. I pity those who attempt to cheat. Why would someone take such a chance to jepordize their teams integrity. If someone needs to cheat to win they are missing the concept of why we participate in these events in the first place.

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
06-26-2008, 08:47 AM
Why cheat? These contests are a measure of our ability to produce quality turn-ins versus the other teams. If one were to cheat it isn't a true measurement of your ability. I pity those who attempt to cheat. Why would someone take such a chance to jepordize their teams integrity. If someone needs to cheat to win they are missing the concept of why we participate in these events in the first place.
well put!

Ron_L
06-26-2008, 08:52 AM
I would be very concerned if we see any YES votes.

Bigdog
06-26-2008, 09:45 AM
I would be very surprised if we saw any yes votes for 2 reasons.
1) The quality of the people here.
2) Most cheaters are also lier's too. The prisons are full of Innocent people. Just ask them (not that I would know anything about this). I learned that from watching Shaw-shank Redemption.

Smokin Gator
06-26-2008, 09:56 AM
I cannot even imagine thinking about cheating at a comp.

While I am sure I have inadvertently broken a rule like not having the fire extinguisher out or not having the bleach in the water, I would never cheat at a comp.

BBQ_Mayor
06-26-2008, 10:01 AM
I don't think that you'll yes votes or I should say, I hope we don't. Like Bigdog said, "The quality of people here"

Anyway, there is no need to cheat. Just do the best you can and let the reps take it from there.
The only people that could cheat are the people inputing the data from the score sheets. Think about that one.:icon_shy

YankeeBBQ
06-26-2008, 11:05 AM
Ok I have to come clean. We did cook a contest without getting our meat inspected one time. It was not intentional and by the time we realized it we had already rubbed the meat. We did bring the meat to the contest raw and untreated. It wasn't what i would call cheating but I suppose it was against the rules. :oops:

VGuilford
06-26-2008, 11:46 AM
I can say I've not competed, so I haven't. I will be doing my first in Sept. and I won't.

Brewmaster
06-26-2008, 11:54 AM
Seriously, what can be gained by cheating. Can you really turn out a better product by cheating? I might want to cheat at home.

I did use a microwave at a contest once to cook my brisket. It was a little tough and it was bad news when I wrapped it in foil. I don't think I'll do it again.

Cheers,

Nate

Scottie
06-26-2008, 12:11 PM
Ok I have to come clean. We did cook a contest without getting our meat inspected one time. It was not intentional and by the time we realized it we had already rubbed the meat. We did bring the meat to the contest raw and untreated. It wasn't what i would call cheating but I suppose it was against the rules. :oops:

That is probably my biggest fear of competing. To start working on my meat before you are inspected... And having a not so sympathetic rep...

Is Shigging cheating? I am seeing more and more teams Shigging. While it's not cheating the KCBS rules, why even try and obtain secrets from other teams without their permission?:icon_pissed

Sawdustguy
06-26-2008, 12:13 PM
Seriously, what can be gained by cheating. Can you really turn out a better product by cheating? I might want to cheat at home.

I did use a microwave at a contest once to cook my brisket. It was a little tough and it was bad news when I wrapped it in foil. I don't think I'll do it again.

Cheers,

Nate

If you cooked your brisket in a microwave and turned it in, you cheated. If it turned out good and won the brisket catagory, would you in good conscience accept the award?

nthole
06-26-2008, 12:16 PM
If you cooked your brisket in a microwave and turned it in, you cheated. If it turned out good and won the brisket catagory, would you in good conscience accept the award?

Having seen Nate's setup, I think he's probably kidding. He does bring have an air conditioner though for when it's hot as hell in August and I definitely think that's cheating!

ihbobry
06-26-2008, 12:24 PM
Is Shigging cheating? I am seeing more and more teams Shigging. While it's not cheating the KCBS rules, why even try and obtain secrets from other teams without their permission?:icon_pissed

Shigging?

Sawdustguy
06-26-2008, 12:27 PM
The most integrity I have ever seen in a cooker is our own Poobah. At last years New Highland Ribfest, Jorge gave some sausage to Poobah for the sausage catagory. Poobah had no idea it was pre-smoked but as soon as he discovered it was pre-smoked he disqualified himself. I will always admire Phil for that.

BBQchef33
06-26-2008, 12:29 PM

um.. guy...

Brewmaster was just bustin chops. :wink:

and.. ok.. WTF is Shigging? (stealing secrets?)

to answer the question though. I never did it intentionally, and I know for sure if I discovered later i did something wrong and won, the victory is tainted and meaningless, and if I did not win, i got what i deserved.

Brewmaster
06-26-2008, 12:37 PM

Actually I was kidding.

It was my pork.

Cheers,

Nate

Mrs. Sawdust
06-26-2008, 12:42 PM
um.. guy...

Brewmaster was just bustin chops. :wink:

Sorry guy's.... Sawdust is not his jolly self today. Must be the weather.

Brewmaster
06-26-2008, 01:12 PM
and.. ok.. WTF is Shigging? (stealing secrets?)

BINGO!

But nobody's asking for recipes. That is, nobody who knows better. At the competitions, snooping is frowned upon. The Midwest BBQ Mafia refers to lingering around a competitor's pit a little too long as "shigging," in honor (after a fashion) of another team.

http://www.kenoshanews.com/article_comments/view_comments.php?articleNum=1813055

Scottie
06-26-2008, 01:13 PM
Shigging?

Not sure if I did this right? So i will include a link..

http://corlissfoundation.com/forum/shigging%20cup.jpg

ique
06-26-2008, 01:22 PM
You also use a pellet cooker. That's definitely cheating.

Roo-B-Q'N
06-26-2008, 01:27 PM
I would be very concerned if we see any YES votes.

Be afraid, be very afraid.

I would be very surprised if we saw any yes votes for 2 reasons.
1) The quality of the people here.
2) Most cheaters are also lier's too. The prisons are full of Innocent people. Just ask them (not that I would know anything about this). I learned that from watching Shaw-shank Redemption.

You know my good friend Andy Dufrain from Shaw Shank??? Get busy living or get busy dieing.

YankeeBBQ
06-26-2008, 01:29 PM
You also use a pellet cooker. That's definitely cheating. Don't forget the Fab that's cheating too right ?

Scottie
06-26-2008, 01:31 PM
That's what my bank thinks too. Cause I keep making deposits every Monday... :icon_blush:

billm
06-26-2008, 02:14 PM
you could say that for any kind of cheating..not just in bbq..dont think there is an answer

Alexa RnQ
06-26-2008, 02:16 PM
At the competitions, snooping is frowned upon.
And yet, at a recent comp when we put up a fourth wall for a few minutes of privacy, half a dozen people had no qualms whatsoever about sticking their heads in nevertheless. :shock:

I doubt they learned much. http://www.divaherself.com/funny/shiner.gif

billm
06-26-2008, 02:18 PM
the meat inspections always seems to be a bit of joke to me anyway..I mean how do they know what they inspect is what you are going to turn in anyway?.

BBQ_Mayor
06-26-2008, 02:20 PM
You also use a pellet cooker. That's definitely cheating.

Hey, becareful.:-o I don't think it's cheating with my pellet cooker. In fact it's probably a handicap for me. :biggrin:

jason
06-26-2008, 03:44 PM
I've never competed, but I can't fathom how you would be able to cheat at a BBQ competition.

DawgPhan
06-26-2008, 04:43 PM
I've never competed, but I can't fathom how you would be able to cheat at a BBQ competition.

You just havent thought about it long enough and I think that someone already mentioned the real way to cheat in this thread.

Also to come clean I think that I have also cooked and turned in meat that wasnt checked.

I cooked an FBA event and forgot my labels. The rep ok'd my cooking of the labeless chicken but I did run to the store and buy some new chicken and did cook that along with my other chicken.

I cant think of anything else that I have done...never done anything that would really give me an advantage.

though I could use one.

jbrink01
06-26-2008, 04:47 PM
Nope, never. I cheated at golf a couple times when I was younger, but then it struck me, I still knew the right score!

jbrink01
06-26-2008, 04:48 PM
BTW - For all of you hackers out there that think improving your lie is ok, that "i;m only moving it a little". The USGA calls them RULES for a reason. I'll step down now.

Brew-B-Q
06-26-2008, 05:30 PM
the meat inspections always seems to be a bit of joke to me anyway..I mean how do they know what they inspect is what you are going to turn in anyway?.

I just began competing, but I was wondering the same thing. If you could make killer brisket by marinating it for 3 days, how would anyone know if you swapped the inspected meat with the marinated one? I don't know anyone that has done that, but I'm sure it has happened.

CajunSmoker
06-26-2008, 05:41 PM
I guess I just don't get it. Why would you drive a couple hundred miles and spend a couple hundred dollars to cheat in a contest?:roll: If that's your mindset then just stay home and cook for the friends and family where there's not any rules.

The meat inspections that I've been involved in have been pretty much a joke. So far in 3 comps I have yet to have all four meats inspected. Once they see one or two cry o vacs pulled up out of the ice they just hand me my ribbon or marker say go ahead and start prepping.

BBQ_Mayor
06-26-2008, 09:29 PM
I've pulled mine out of zip locks before. Not a word.
Sometimes if I have time, I like to trim them at home. I don't have the time very often.

Bigdog
06-26-2008, 09:40 PM
You know my good friend Andy Dufrain from Shaw Shank??? Get busy living or get busy dieing.

I said I saw Shaw Shank, not was there. :roll:

Ooooooohhhhh Andy. That was the longest night of his life. :biggrin:

BOT: I don't compete, but if I did, I would not want to cheat. Success is only good if you really earned it.

parrothead
06-26-2008, 10:04 PM

I always felt the same way. There is no way to tell. I usually have my meat in one cooler and that is the only cooler they look in. I could have god knows what in our other 7 coolers.

At least it is an attempt I suppose. The alternative would be to assign a rep to every team and watch them throughout.

There is however one good part to the inspection. They are checking to make sure that you have been keeping the meat on ice. (theoretically). I think I have only been to one comp where they actually checked temps.

thenewguy
06-26-2008, 11:58 PM
That's the one big thing that really impressed me about the world brisket open. They not only inspect the meat, they put a metal tag in it and it has to be in the meat when you cut it for turn in if it's been tampered with it's disqualified.
I can't cook good enough yet to cheat-Hell I feel liek I'm cheating bytaking the day off from workin just to cook!

Solidkick
06-27-2008, 12:22 PM
Shigging?? Hell, get a 12 pack in me and I'll tell you everything I do from start to finish.........:redface::redface:

Big Mike
06-27-2008, 12:32 PM
But, do we want to know what ya do?:-P

paydabill
06-27-2008, 01:33 PM
Shigging?? Hell, get a 12 pack in me and I'll tell you everything I do from start to finish.........:redface::redface:

Note to self buy a 12 pack and goto belly brothers!

KC_Bobby
06-27-2008, 03:29 PM
BTW - For all of you hackers out there that think improving your lie is ok, that "i;m only moving it a little". The USGA calls them RULES for a reason. I'll step down now.

But on some public courses can you blame someone when they hit a good shot, it's in the fairway with plush grass everywhere ... except the mud divot created by the Gator that it stopped in?

I believe the Seniors Tour always plays lift and clean ... which is just a way for them to improve their lie. If they're going to do it on prestine courses, I hardly feel guilty about doing it on a goat ranch. I'm only playing for the fun of it anyway, my score has no effect on anyone else.

That said, I do count penalty strokes, trees are trees, water is water no relief from either of those and do not take mulligans. Although, I did once pull a ball out of a snow bank without penalty. That's casual water right?

Fredbird
06-27-2008, 03:44 PM

That's right, and he also starts offering pony rides!:biggrin:

Fredbird
06-27-2008, 03:48 PM

At our last contest the meat inspector checked the chicken and ribs, said everything looks good and headed back to his golf cart. We had to stop him to check our pork and brisket.

Muzzlebrake
06-27-2008, 04:00 PM
I am not good enough to cheat or be shigged
:biggrin::eek::shock::biggrin:

but like the good ole boys say....... "you aint cheatin, you aint trying"

STX Cue
06-27-2008, 04:12 PM
So THAT'S how the Giants won the Super Bowl?

MRI_Guy
06-27-2008, 04:19 PM
I have done worse than cheating in a local comp.

I took a fellow competitor's cold beer from his cooler and replaced it with my own WARM beer..............

Haven't cooked in that comp since.

Muzzlebrake
06-27-2008, 04:29 PM
So THAT'S how the Giants won the Super Bowl?

no no no

thats how the Pats beat the Jets
:twisted:

Muzzlebrake
06-27-2008, 04:30 PM

I took a fellow competitor's cold beer from his cooler and replaced it with my own WARM beer..............

now thats low

Big George's BBQ
06-27-2008, 08:27 PM
I guess this could happen although it is hard to thik that way. The idea that a person could cheat and also be friend you is hard to believe. What fun is it to cheat and act like you are competing. The beer thing is a dirty trick.

MRI_Guy
06-28-2008, 12:48 PM
The beer thing is a dirty trick.
I almost feel bad that those guys came in DFL..........Somehow - deep down - I feel like it was partially my fault.

BetterBBQBureau
06-29-2008, 12:29 PM
There were a couple times that I have seen people not fire up their smokers until early sunday morning, and it made me wonder how it was possible to cook something in that amount of time. However, in both cases that team came in the bottom 2 or 3 overall so I doubt they cheated - just made some bad choices.

I don't see the point in cheating - I guess if you have a national brand and you are in a competition that gets a lot of national tv publicity there might be motivation there, but so far, I have never met anyone who competes only to win.

kitch
08-12-2008, 09:13 AM
I may come in last place....but at least i did it my way.

I know I could cheat to come in first...but how proud of that would I be.

Rightstuff
08-12-2008, 09:19 AM
I feel that if I have to cheat....BBQ comps will be no better than NASCAR (haha).

FireAnts
08-12-2008, 10:27 AM

"That's pretty low, mister! If I had a rubber hose, I would beat you into a..."
(Quote from police officer in National Lampoon Christmas Vacation.)

PatioDaddio
08-12-2008, 11:02 AM
There were a couple times that I have seen people not fire up their smokers until early sunday morning, and it made me wonder how it was possible to cook something in that amount of time.Last week I heard an interview with Myron Mixon where he walked through his competition timeline. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't heard it from his own mouth.

Friday
Load in / meat inspection / marinade / inject, then leave.

Saturday
04:00 - Arrive (well-rested) and light cooker
05:00 - Briskets & butts on
08:30 - Chicken & ribs on
09:00 - Briskets off
10:00 - Butts off
12:00 - Chicken off
12:30 - Ribs off

Crazy!

Moral of the story: Don't be suspicious of the timing of others.

John

DawgPhan
08-12-2008, 11:15 AM
Last week I heard an interview with Myron Mixon where he walked through his competition timeline. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't heard it from his own mouth.

Friday

Saturday

Crazy!

John

I think that most folks around the South are well aware of this timeline...if you are close to JOS you know when they arrive...

PatioDaddio
08-12-2008, 11:27 AM
I think that most folks around the South are well aware of this timeline...if you are close to JOS you know when they arrive...Some of us north of the Manson-Nixon line aren't aware. :-D I know he is known for cooking fast, but I didn't know he was that fast.

John

CivilWarBBQ
08-12-2008, 01:04 PM
I think that most folks around the South are well aware of this timeline...if you are close to JOS you know when they arrive...

When JOS is near our camp I always try to have a fresh pot of coffee ready at 04:15. Myron, Doby and Wayne are the best. If any human being ever walked the earth who knew hog better than brother Myron I've never met them!

CajunSmoker
08-12-2008, 01:11 PM
Last week I heard an interview with Myron Mixon where he walked through his competition timeline. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't heard it from his own mouth.

Friday

Saturday

Crazy!

John

He might need to adjust those times a little on the KCBS contests since that's the normal turn in times.

Bigmista
08-12-2008, 01:17 PM
Brisket cook 4 hours and rest 4.5 hours? It could work...well apparently it does.

Mitchelina
08-12-2008, 01:43 PM
you know I always wondered if anyone cheated - it would be very, very easy. I wanna win but I want a clean fair win where I can really stand up and be proud!

Plowboy
08-12-2008, 01:45 PM
Note to self buy a 12 pack and goto belly brothers!

Getting him to shut up is the real trick. :cool:

Plowboy
08-12-2008, 01:49 PM
And yet, at a recent comp when we put up a fourth wall for a few minutes of privacy, :shock:

Are we still talking about BBQ? :wink: Guess you still could be cheating. Dunno. :biggrin:

GaryT1
08-12-2008, 03:02 PM
To me, cheating would just add another deminsion or two to the already busy job of presenting the entry.
Why add something else to do!?

GaryT1

Alexa RnQ
08-12-2008, 03:15 PM
Are we still talking about BBQ? :wink: Guess you still could be cheating. Dunno. :biggrin:
Maybe, maybe not. I put the word out that the next time anybody tried that, they'd find me prepping meat topless and deserve whatever PTSD they'd suffer as a result. Hasn't happened again http://www.divaherself.com/funny/shiner.gif

Divemaster
08-12-2008, 03:24 PM
I just don't understand why any one would pay that kind of money only to lie to not only the rest of us but them self as well...

Maybe, maybe not. I put the word out that the next time anybody tried that, they'd find me prepping meat topless and deserve whatever PTSD they'd suffer as a result. Hasn't happened again http://www.divaherself.com/funny/shiner.gif
Sounds like a reason for a road trip!

Plowboy
08-12-2008, 03:39 PM

That would INDEED be cheating. See KCBS rule 15.C.

Anyone ever smoked a cigar/cigarette or had a "dip" in their mouth while handling meat at a contest? CHEATERS!!!!!! (see KCBS rule 15.A)

Alexa RnQ
08-12-2008, 03:50 PM
See KCBS rule 15.C.
The wording states "worn". Doesn't state "fastened". Thank you for suggesting that all-important refinement!

Solidkick
08-12-2008, 05:32 PM
Getting him to shut up is the real trick. :cool:
That wasn't nice.....:redface:

Muzzlebrake
08-12-2008, 07:45 PM

can't be any worse than a pantless Poobah carving brisket :shock: